Sep

“Cynicism Is A Bad Choice. Hope Is A Better Choice. Hope Gives Us Courage”

BweI9qFIgAAnLai

President Barack Obama delivers remarks at Laborfest 2014 at Maier Festival Park in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Text of the President’s remarks here

BweIeJWCYAEWmd3.jpg-large

2014-09-01T220716Z_1324513123_GM1EA920FXS01_RTRMADP_3_USA-OBAMA

2014-09-01T215942Z_841860925_GM1EA920GAN01_RTRMADP_3_USA-OBAMA

@petesouza: Pres Obama aboard Marine One today w Valerie Jarrett, Anita Breckenridge and Jennifer Friedman

Bwd9vFkCAAAZF6j.jpg-large

2014-09-01T220020Z_428800305_GM1EA920GAT01_RTRMADP_3_USA-OBAMA

U.S. Representative Gwen Moore (D-WI) cheers as President Barack Obama delivers remarks

2014-09-01T191108Z_361761626_GM1EA9208FQ01_RTRMADP_3_USA-OBAMA

President Obama hugs Chris Harris, Vice President of United Steel Workers Local 2-209, after being introduced at Laborfest 2014

2014-09-01T200556Z_1_LYNXMPEA801EE_RTROPTP_2_USA-OBAMA

BwednXaIYAEAmU7.jpg-large

Pete Souza: President Obama at the Milwaukee Laborfest today

2014-09-01T221001Z_642826237_GM1EA920H1E01_RTRMADP_3_USA-OBAMA

President Barack Obama walks past a saluting Marine on the South Lawn as he returns to the White House

133 Responses to ““Cynicism Is A Bad Choice. Hope Is A Better Choice. Hope Gives Us Courage””

1. September 1, 2014 at 7:52 pm

I love when he says that. Evening all!

2. September 1, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Football is the international language.

3. September 1, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Absolutely wonderful, love love love love ya Nerdy! Thank you.

4. 12 MadameSoph
    September 1, 2014 at 7:54 pm

This is just beautiful Nerdy!

5. 15 Nena20409
    September 1, 2014 at 7:58 pm

A Sensational Smash Hit Nerdy Wonka.
    AAA+ >-I
    Thank you.

Au for V24 :)

6. September 1, 2014 at 8:02 pm

7. 18 Nerdy Wonka
    September 1, 2014 at 8:06 pm

September 1, 2014 at 8:06 pm

He’s whistling :) Walking and whistling… That’s my President! Hope Lives!!

• 20 carolyn
      September 1, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Okay……the woman hugging PBO in that picture looks like me! See how white women don’t like him!!!! We LOVE him. If I was in a crowd where he was, I would do everything I could to wiggle my way to the front…….I’m not tall, and can usually work my way to the front of the line. I did it when Bill Clinton came to OKC in 1996, and reached out my hand and he shook it. I had on a pair of red gloves which stood out. I SO envy that woman!!!!! Every woman I work with at my college absolutely adores him. We also love Michelle and admire those two beautiful girls and the excellent parenting. My 43 year old daughter also adores him, and all the women in her husband’s family do. Where do these pollsters get their sample? And we are in the red state of Oklahoma.

September 1, 2014 at 9:38 pm

carolyn, we have to come out to vote November 4th, that is more important then anything else. Can you just imagine POTUS final two years if the GOP get control of the Senate? OMG!!!!!!!!

• 22 carolyn
          September 2, 2014 at 1:40 pm

All those people I mentioned are definitely voters, and we influence others. The wind is even changing in Oklahoma. The Democratic candidate is running neck and neck with Mary Fallin. I met him Sunday, and will work for him.

September 1, 2014 at 8:11 pm

Just a little warning that the Northwoods idiot or whatever Pierce calls her, is going to be in AZ this week supporting the Teabagger that’s running for Gov…the only good news from that is that whoever she supports, usually loses. This Koch Bro buddy needs to crash and burn. Hard. The Dems have an excellent candidate for Gov…if we GOTV…WE WIN! Time we restored some sanity to this place.

10. 31 arapaho415
    September 1, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Thanks, NerdyW, for all this goodness on Labor Day. Thanks also for your stellar tweets that captured the President’s speech today.

Could be that time of day for some humor before the rat-race begins tomorrow. Worth a look if you want a chuckle or two.

Special thoughts to 99ts and all others down-under:

11. 35 anniebella
    September 1, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Look like somebody is whistling, with all that is going wrong in the world, he is whistling. How dare he.What kind of leadership is that?

September 1, 2014 at 8:27 pm

He goes on vacation with his family, he is always playing golf, he goes to three fundraiser, he takes his family to their personal chef’s wedding, he wears a tan suit, throw him out of office.

September 1, 2014 at 8:32 pm

At last – it is I! Not only that, One Son found himself a place to stay for the academic year [so I don't have to take him back home with me ;) ] in a home with three other students. I drove him and his ‘stuff’ to the place which is supposed to be about 15 minutes from the university, and then got lost (only three times) back to the hotel where I am staying. Getting lost highway driving – such fun – you know that minute you realize that exit you just missed should have been ‘the road taken’, and the next exit where you might be able to exit, turn around, and re-enter the highway was nowhere in sight!

I just want to say to Desertflower that I intend for this adventure to last me a good loooong time! :grin:

Thank you everyone for your virtual support! :) It is much appreciated, and if you hang in there with me for the 8 hour drive home tomorrow, I think all will be well. I’m aiming to leave here between 11 and noon. I confess that it has always taken me less time to reach home than it does to get anywhere so I’m hoping my record won’t change. ;) ;)

• 39 99ts
      September 1, 2014 at 8:38 pm

Drive safe vc

September 1, 2014 at 8:44 pm

Will do TS, and thank you!

• 41 99ts
          September 1, 2014 at 8:47 pm

I’ve been busy – think I missed most of your trip – but I well remember delivering daughter and her “stuff” to a few share houses.

September 1, 2014 at 8:52 pm

He has always been a child who likes quiet – the less noise the better, and one who has never really had to share. This is going to be his first ‘share’ situation, so I’m crossing fingers and toes, TS.

• 43 arapaho415
      September 1, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Two places not recommended for you.

1) DC – locals brag about how confusing the streets are.

2) Los Angeles, where the freeway names (e.g., Hollywood Freeway, Ventura Freeway, etc.) have nothing to do with the highway or Interstate freeway number — the Hollywood Freeway could be either the 170 or the 101, the Ventura Freeway could be either the 101 or the 134 — you get the idea, confusing for locals.

To get to LA, I usually take the Ventura Freeway (101), but in North Hollywood the 101 changes to the Hollywood Freeway. I’ve seen people here would wanted to go from Universal City (North Hollywood) to Magic Mountain, and ended up about 60 miles off their mark (or 120 miles, since they now have to go to Magic Mountain). :(

September 1, 2014 at 9:03 pm

Sound somewhat like what I’ve been encountering, Arapaho – one street/highway having multiple names & numbers, AND sometimes not even running continuously! Added to that, street names are written so, so small that you are practically on it before you see it’s the street you have to turn on. I’m thankful that I have not been rear-ended on some of those right hand turns I’ve taken or my rapid lane changes at the last minute to exit on the left. Quite an experience! I. CANNOT. WAIT. to hit the halfway point home, where signs are clear, high, and unambiguous!

• September 1, 2014 at 8:56 pm

Wishing you a safe journey home, VC.

September 1, 2014 at 9:00 pm

Drive safely, vc:) I’m proud of you!!

• 56 theo67
      September 1, 2014 at 11:09 pm

You’ll have to email me with this update – I’m completely lost why your son is eight hours away and heading back to school. I thought he was done! :?

(FYI – all with me is improving. Back home today.)

September 1, 2014 at 8:32 pm

Look at the hope and absolute joy in all those mesmerized faces! Thanks, NW, for this pick-us-up!

14. 60 99ts
    September 1, 2014 at 8:45 pm

Fab posts today NW – many thanks. Those tweets on the last thread were a joy.

15. 61 anniebella
    September 1, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Mary Burke the Democratic challenger for Wisconsin Governor met privately with the President, while Gov. Walker the GOP greeted him at the airport. Couldn’t Mary Burke greet him at the airport too?

September 1, 2014 at 8:48 pm

I guess shew as to scare to be seen with him.

September 1, 2014 at 8:48 pm

she was is what i meant to say.

• 64 joyfulmeme
        September 1, 2014 at 9:46 pm

What was she afraid of? I don’t get it. What am I missing? It’s hard for me to believe that people actually hate our President so much they are afraid they would lose is they met with him in public. What kind of craziness is this? It’s the Rs constant disrespect & lies. They run rampant here. Then there is the MSM. They seem to have gone on the war path against PBO.

• 65 Vicki
      September 1, 2014 at 8:51 pm

who knows? The ways of the political world is a mystery to me and a lot of us,anniebella

• September 1, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Annie, protocol is for the Gov of the State that President visits to meet him at the airport. It would have been completely inappropriate to politicize it. Am delighted that she was able to meet with him and am sure he will be as supportive of her as possible. Won’t be the last time PBO visits WI before 4 Nov 2014, imho!!

#TrustBarack

16. September 1, 2014 at 8:57 pm

As noted before, this will not end well for Vlad ….

#TrustBarack

September 1, 2014 at 9:03 pm

Anyone seen Donna lately? Just wondering…haven’t seen her lately

September 1, 2014 at 9:07 pm

U.S. military forces conducted an operation Monday against the Al-Shabaab network in Somalia, Pentagon press secretary Rear Adm. John Kirby said.
    “We are assessing the results of the operation and will provide additional information as and when appropriate,” he said.
    No other information was immediately available.
    The United States designated Al-Shabaab, an al Qaeda-linked militant group, as a foreign terrorist organization in March 2008. It has targeted Al-Shabaab leaders in Somalia at least twice in the past year.
    Also Monday, the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) announced that military forces had liberated several important towns from the terrorists’ grip, in the Middle Shabelle and Hiiran regions

19. September 1, 2014 at 9:16 pm

Just got home from work. Worked on Labor Day on labor cases. How fun is that. Thank you NW. You are always there to keep us well informed.

20. September 1, 2014 at 9:16 pm

21. 109 HZ
    September 1, 2014 at 9:32 pm

Hello my Chips, and our wonderful Nerdy W., thanks for another beautiful work of goodness. We have a great President of the United States., and I love him for every ounce of energy he gives us. I love my president.

Well, DF, I was just thinking about Donna last night. I hope all is fine in her space. Just hope she is spending some beautiful time with those two beautiful grand babies. This beautiful family is so close. When we are thinking of the same thing at the same time, and then someone comes in and will say,” Is Donna home?” I love you all so much. Thanks for asking about Donna, DF.

Sending loving thoughts to Amk and family. May much goodness continue to enter into your space. I missed you as well. Thanks for all that you do, Amk.

I am locked up with this hellish pain, but joy comes in the morning again. Been through too much to stop on the journey now. We have an election to win in Nov. Won’t be taking my eyes off of the task. Trust me.

Chips, you are a beautiful soul, and I love you and give thanks for your vision and your brilliant mind taking care of this beautiful space. You give us so much to stay focus on and make sure we have the facts and hope alive to get out there and fight for our President and VP. Chips my dear beautiful angel, thank you for this space. Nerdy gave us another beautiful array of photos to enjoy. I love to hear the fire in PBO’s voice. It keeps me steady. Blessings be with our President as he travels this week. HZ .

• September 1, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Oh HZ, love ya – and we all do. You are a beautiful, beautiful human being.

September 1, 2014 at 9:52 pm

It’s just that we care about each other…you know the special place she made for us here…now we nurture and encourage and feel proud, and pain and joy when our TOD brothers and sisters are feeling those emotions. There really is no place like this place we call home, is there, HZ? I’m not religious, but really…I do feel blessed to have all of you and care about all of you.Like you said, ” This beautiful family is so close. When we are thinking of the same thing at the same time, and then someone comes in and will say,” Is Donna home?” Pretty much covers it. Hope that she’s fine and that she can poke her head in soon and let us know that all is well in here world….for me, it would be those grandbabies:) Too cute.

Hoping that your pain goes away…(have you tried any holistic remedies?? or acupuncture?) You just keep pushing…with a smile on your face and a passion in your heart! {{HZ}} You are loved. Totally and completely cared about here.

Anyway, if you hear from her…let the rest of us know…:)

• 114 Nerdy Wonka
      September 1, 2014 at 9:56 pm

Thank you, HZ. Wishing you a pain free and joyous week,

• 115 amk for obama
      September 1, 2014 at 10:04 pm

Thanks HZ. Here is to you getting well soon.

22. 116 HZ
    September 1, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Vc, great news. Have a safe trip home and take your time. I am thinking of you as you travel. Love you dear Vc.HZ

September 1, 2014 at 10:12 pm

{{HZ}} Thanks, and take care of yourself! Will be thinking of you tonight, that your pain will not take over, but that you can control it so that you can rest.

23. 118 Lynn
    September 1, 2014 at 9:45 pm

Once upon a time, there was an electon. The year was 2008 and the economy was in the crapper. Our international reputation … ditto.

Hillary Clinton was the undisputed front runner and I was on board.

The dreams so many had back in the fifties and sixties were stolen by ‘lone shooters’ of some pivotal figures and, I confess, the loss of MLK and RFK took the heart out of me. The incredible fire no longer had a focus.

And then, someone who I had never heard of, came out of nowhere.

Suddenly, I was an eighteen year old again. The amazing energy we had, flooded back in. This incredible man gave me an instant confidence and belief in our country that I’d lost forty years ago.

Since that moment, I have had total confidence in every move our President has made. I’m glad I lived long enough to see this day.

Thank you, Ms. Chips for making this lovely place where we can share this one moment in time.

• September 1, 2014 at 10:00 pm

Have experienced the same, Lynn, and am forever grateful to Chips for creating and nurturing TOD and for all that NW has contributed to sustaining Chips mission and message.

• 120 Lynn
        September 1, 2014 at 10:10 pm

You nailed it so many times, Bob. Trust. And I do. Unconditionally. Thank you for all your hard work. You give and share so much. Your efforts on behalf of the Ukraine are stellar.

• 121 Vicki
      September 1, 2014 at 10:01 pm

Lynn, every single word of what you’ve written resonates with me. Like you, I am grateful every day that at TOD we can express these feelings and know that they will be shared and understood.

• 122 MadameSoph
        September 1, 2014 at 10:11 pm

Ditto, Lynn, Bobfr & Vicki!

That’s part of why I’m planning to move to Italy before January 2017. This President is a once-in-a-lifetime leader.

So glad to be here now and so grateful for this place that helps me enjoy this moment in time to the fullest.

• 123 Lynn
        September 1, 2014 at 10:16 pm

Good to see you again, Vicki. I’m hoping we can get behind VP Biden for our next president to carry on the legacy.

24. September 1, 2014 at 10:04 pm

Bottom line ….

September 1, 2014 at 10:06 pm

Seriously??? YOU CAN NOT MAKE THIS SHIT UP! This is reason enough to get to the polls. I don’t want to hear another word…

26. 126 yardarm756
    September 1, 2014 at 10:10 pm

A reminder

#GOTV

27. 130 anniebella
    September 1, 2014 at 10:17 pm

I wonder have Malia gotten her driving license yet.

September 1, 2014 at 10:26 pm

So lemme get this straight, our vc is tweeting and toding while driving? And she sez she is lost all the time? tsk, tsk, tsk. / smh

29. September 2, 2014 at 11:05 pm