hey, big guy!

President Barack Obama reaches up to present a 2010 Presidential Medal of Freedom to basketball hall of fame member, former Boston Celtics coach and captain Bill Russell

Information on all the recipients here

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

9 Responses to “hey, big guy!”

1. 1 vitaminlover
    February 15, 2011 at 3:41 pm

President Obama is tall himself so I guess he got a giggle placing the medal around a much taller man. I can tell that Mr. Russell was enjoying the humor also.

2. 2 Sue in Minnesota
    February 15, 2011 at 4:20 pm

I love Bill Russell, such a giant of a man, and not because of his height. President Obama could use a little step stool to make up for the 8 inch difference in their height, but they are both giants in my eyes.

• 3 Hachikō
      February 16, 2011 at 11:58 am

I do too. I saw a documentary about the early AA basketball players and Bill Russell was, as you’d imagine, one of them. He is a gracious and lovely human being. So honorable and so humble. I love his spirit.

3. 4 Dakota
    February 15, 2011 at 4:49 pm

I also love and respect Bill Russell. A well deserved honor. These pictures show the great good humor of Mr. Russell and our President.

4. 5 Sonjia Duncan
    February 15, 2011 at 5:38 pm

I loved today’s presentations of 2010 Presidential Medal of Freedom to so many that I respected and admired. I loved that President Bush was included it shows that this President is so different from many of today’s politicians.

• February 15, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Me too. I really enjoyed this ceremony.

I was especially moved when the president was comforting the widow of Dr. Tom Little.

He is so loving. Sigh….

5. 7 Fred
    February 15, 2011 at 5:44 pm

the President had a little bit of an issue putting the medal around Mr Russel’s neck and he laughed about it😆

6. 8 Kelly
    February 15, 2011 at 8:23 pm

7. 9 Eleroy
    February 15, 2011 at 9:20 pm

LOL, it is so unusual to see anyone taller than President Obama this close, but our President ROCKS!!!

February 2011