Feb

digby? i think i love you.

Digby: …it started off well, calling out the Governor on his union breaking goals. But then he … proceeded to denigrate the protesters as fools….

I’m so glad we have Jon Stewart around to reduce all political activities of ordinary people into a clown show. It makes it much easier to maintain our ironic distance. Silly people making noises in public is really beneath all smart liberals … the only respectable way for people to engage in politics is to let Jon Stewart explain it all to us in our special coded hipster humor…

… he’s telling liberals that it’s more important to behave in a dignified, fair fashion than to stand up for your beliefs in a way that could be perceived as unseemly or one-sided. That makes you as bad as the other side.

Except, of course, it really doesn’t. It’s really about what you’re fighting for. Tea partiers were trying to stop the federal government from reforming our health care system so that middle class workers will not go broke or die if they get sick. The Wisconsin protesters are trying to stop the Republican governor from making it illegal for them to belong to a union so that they can live a decent middle class life …

…. I’m sorry that people are misbehaving and failing to have the Oxford style debate that Stewart seems to think we should have … calls for “civility” are usually just a way to shut people up … this is why Colbert’s satire is so much more effective and, frankly, much braver. His satire is firmly aimed at the right, so he cannot take both sides. That’s why it works – it takes a position. By contrast, I’m increasingly not finding Jon’s church-lady finger wagging all that funny….

Read the full post here (also includes clips from the Daily Show)

I loved this post so much, I almost hugged my monitor 😳 – it summed up everything I feel about Stewart, the kid who reckons he’s cool because he sneers at anyone who shows some real passion about a cause. Of course I loved him when he targeted Bush, but that’s because I thought he actually stood for what is right. I get it now, he just sneers at everyone – it’s the cool thing to do.

Stewart would, most probably, sneer at this man’s passion too:

State Rep Gordon Hintz – from Crooks and Liars

24 Responses to “digby? i think i love you.”

1. 1 Proud of Obama
    February 23, 2011 at 3:24 pm

So glad he wrote this. I can not stand Stewart. The damage he does ridiculing democrats and treating PBO disrespectfully (calling him dude, really?) far outweighs the good. I don’t even watch his clips anymore. And I’m convinced that stupid rally he had was to sabotage the midterms.

Oh and, Chipsticks, you and BWD are the bomb.

• 2 Dorothy Rissman
      February 23, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Proud of Obama, that was the last time I watched him. Actually only watched it that time because PBO was going to be on. I was so angry with Stewart, I had a tizzy fit.

I too worry so much about the impact he is having on the young in terms of how they view our president. Jons ego has gotten enormous. I would not be surprised if he thought he should be president. ugh.

2. February 23, 2011 at 3:24 pm

First..!!

And I completely agree with the piece.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    +###############++++++++++###########++
    +############### ++++ +++++###########++
    +###############++++++#++############++
    +################+++++#++############++

3. 5 NewCenturyWoman
    February 23, 2011 at 3:40 pm

I’ve never been crazy about Jon Stewart’s two-faced humor. I was particularly disgusted by a segment he did shortly after the inauguration that featured something about the First Lady’s attire or maybe it was something about the Obama Administraton “transparency” (I can’t really remember the exact topic). Anyway, as I can best recall, this one scene in particular showed Mrs. Obama walking away from the photograph’s camera with her backside showing –I mean literally a naked-looking cutaway of what her backside would look like underneath her dress—the clip was shown in an ill attempt to metaphorically comment on the Obama’s administration’s “transparency.” It was a repugnant underhanded cut that made me want to puke. What’s more , his Daily Show had the hypocritical nerve in January of this year to criticize Fox’s racist Bill O’reilly for depicting something negative about “Michelle Obama’s backside.”

Stewart always finds a way to bash or undercut President & Mrs. Obama, often times calling the president weak and questioning his manhood. I truly dislike Jon Stewart and all of his non-funny humor.

• 6 Theo67
      February 23, 2011 at 5:29 pm

I am so glad I never saw that. Jon Stewart lost me months ago, and confirmed my disgust with him after the “sanity” rally, when he couldn’t even be bothered to ask people to vote. That was a complete waste of time, and just an ego boost for him. I regret that the President did his show, and that was probably just in anticipation of some “GOTV” message that they thought would happen at the rally. I don’t even want to watch the clip that’s being spoken of in this post. He’s just a waste of time.

• 7 Dorothy Rissman
      February 23, 2011 at 6:48 pm

I am with you NCW. Trying to make a fool out of our president. I wonder if his show did not create a situation where a large number of young people did not vote. After all, Obama is no better than the repugs.

4. 8 Sue in Minnesota
    February 23, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Jon Stewart lost my viewership shortly after he interviewed President Obama before the mid-terms. He just doesn’t seem funny or relevant to me. He also seemed to me to be very soft and deferential to Republican guests and had a completely different approach with Democratic guests including our President. Although I think President Obama handled Jon Stewart both artfully and intelligently….IMO Jon got his lunch handed to him.

Stephen Colbert has always been more impressive to me….smarter, funnier, more clever and I’ve always thought he was sincere about his message.

I think all media generated political coverage needs to be revamped. It is not entertainment, IMO it is to serious of a topic to be reduced to gotcha interviews, sound bites and anyone and everyones opinions. Political coverage in our media has enormous power to influence and shouldn’t be used to drive business revenues or turn serious debates into contests.

5. 12 DoNoHarm
    February 23, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Agree with the comments re Stewart. My thinking was that his humor was too sophisticated for my age, being an old geezer–that I was missing out on the “new” stuff, so I was glad about the posts. Thank you. I only wish Colbert’s writers had talked to someone about that bill, SB11. Not only does Walker severely limit collective bargaining to be meaningless, he also has in his bill that the energy plants in WI can be sold, at any price, without any bids or any committee oversight. There’s like 90+ plants in the state. Is this a payback? If it quacks like a duck …….

6. 13 barb
    February 23, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Chip and all thank you for your opinions. I do not like Stewart and so have never really watched him. He has a sense of arrogancy and radiates bad karma. Now Colbert I have watched and enjoyed, esp when he went to Iraq and was a blast there with the troops. I was shocked at the Digby blog and am wondering if the Walker/fake Koch conversation actually happened. Koch would never put himself in such a situation since Walker is so ignorant. If it really happened then why isn’t anyone talking about it. These media nuts really know which side their toast is buttered.

• 14 Theo67
      February 23, 2011 at 11:05 pm

It was confirmed earlier today that the Walker/fake Koch conversation was real. The governor confirmed that it was him on the recording, and his spokesperson claimed that he said in private everything he’s saying in public. That’s not true.

• 15 Eleroy
        February 23, 2011 at 11:51 pm

Theo, Randi Rhodes covered the Walker/Koch phone call today on her show. This Walker man is so power drunk and crazy in his fake righteousness!!!

• 16 Theo67
          February 24, 2011 at 2:40 am

I didn’t get to listen to Randi today, but I’m glad she covered it. I don’t think this Walker character is going to back down – he seems to think winning this battle is worth whatever it will cost.

7. 17 stylishgurl
    February 23, 2011 at 10:10 pm

I used to love Mr.Stewart, even agreed with his rally! But lately his FALSE EQUIVALENCIES are becoming tiresome, and worse NOT FUNNY! Epic Fail.

8. 18 Audrey
    February 23, 2011 at 11:21 pm

Jon Stewart is an asshole.

9. 19 Eleroy
    February 23, 2011 at 11:46 pm

Ughhh!!! Jon Stewart sucks!!! He’s a disingenuous coward!!!

10. 20 Titti
    February 24, 2011 at 5:36 am

Watched his show a few times and frankly I didn’t see what the big deal is about this guy – not funny at all!

11. 21 rritz
    February 24, 2011 at 8:35 am

I stopped watching for this very reason. And like you, I thought, during the Bush years, it was integrity. I just happened to see this show, the first one I’ve watched this year (when it used to be high on my DV-r list) and I agree a hundred percent, and I’m so glad I’m not alone.

12. 22 ber6964
    February 24, 2011 at 3:15 pm

He is getting a little too big for his britches that lil’man.

13. 23 bjw2
    February 24, 2011 at 10:05 pm

It is my belief that John’s rally is what caused a lot of young people to stay home last election.
    This sanctimonious tone is great if you have no skin if the game. Also, when you have enough money to send your kids to the best schools in the country and if your child come down sick you can pay his/hers bill without a problem you can sit on the fence and throw stones at both sides.

This man mocks union workers for fighting for their lively hood, while he sits on his seven figures yearly income.

Jonathan Stuart Leibowitz is a rich sanctimonious coward.

@POTUS