Jun

‘obama the nerd’!

Steve Benen: …..For the record, President Obama has collected Spider-Man comics; he knows the name of Superman’s father; he’s a fan of Star Trek; and can, rather effortlessly, offer a Vulcan salute. I distinctly remember laughing shortly after the ‘08 election when Ezra Klein wrote, “Obama is by far the most culturally awesome president this country has witnessed…. Forget beers: This is a president I could play Halo 3 with.”

Check out Smartypants’ blog (here) for photographic and video evidence of the nerd thing 😆

27 Responses to “‘obama the nerd’!”

1. 1 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    June 5, 2011 at 2:36 pm

THAT’S TOO FUNNY…A LITTLE ‘NERDIE’ NEVER HURT ANYONE…THE PRESIDENT IS WAY AHEAD OF US!!!!! DIVERSITY IN THINKING…STUDY AND APPLICATION PAYS OFF! HE’S GOT THE WHOLE PACKAGE! HE KNOWS HOW THE WORLD WORKS BECAUSE HE LOOKS AT EVERYTHING…MORE IMPORTANTLY…HE’S A GREAT LISTENER AND HE LOVES ALL PEOPLE WITH A PASSION!

2. 2 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    June 5, 2011 at 2:37 pm

I’LL BE ABLE TO DO THAT SALUTE AS SOON AS I APPLY THE BENGAY!!!!!LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!

3. June 5, 2011 at 2:37 pm

LOL!!!!

Obama: Jock or Nerd?

Or is it yet one more divide this man transcends?

😉

• 4 dotster
      June 5, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Yep, he’s got something for everyone. The nerds see a nerd, the jocks see a fellow jock. He’s multi-faceted. Brilliant and handsome and warm and cool. All of the above. This is what many, moi included, find so remarkable about President Obama. He’s the full package. He’s got it all.

June 5, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Oh he’s such a nerd. And that’s a good thing. I remember during the Radio Television Awards Dinner in 2009, John Hodgeman from the Daily Show teased him about being a nerd. PBO actually had a picture of himself standing in front of a statue of Superman in Chicago(?) I believe. He put that image on his senate website. John was like “um… and why isn’t it on the front page of whitehouse.gov?” Then John asked him a couple of questions about comic books, teased him about his Spock like calm and big ears and finally asked if he was a fan of Star Trek and PBO flashed the Vulcan hand signal.
    It was H-I-L-A-R-I-O-U-S.

• 6 Debz
      June 5, 2011 at 4:31 pm

The Superman statue is in Metropolis, (southern IL). If you walk through town that photo of PBO and Superman is in most of the store windows. I love his nerdy side.

5. 7 Bill
    June 5, 2011 at 2:42 pm

President Obama may be a nerd but I’ll bet he knows what Paul Revere did, you betcha.

6. 11 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    June 5, 2011 at 2:54 pm

NOW…IF YOU ASKED SARAH THAT QUESTION…SHE’D COME BACK WITH ‘REVEREWARE’ WHICH YOU PROBABLY DON’T REMEMBER…BUT I DO! BARNEY AND I USED TO BOIL DINOSAUR EGGS IN IT! GREAT POTS AND PANS!

7. 12 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    June 5, 2011 at 2:57 pm

PLEASE NOTE:::::: WHEN OUR EXTREMELY INTELLIGENT PRESIDENT RAISES HIS PALM…HE DOESN’T HAVE ANY WRITING ON IT!!!!! GIGGLE…GIGGLE…………………………..:)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

8. 13 GGail
    June 5, 2011 at 3:07 pm

A nerd? I would say A Well Rounded Person. He’s got the walk (swagger), the talk, the game (sports), the family commitment, the intelligence, the humor – yup, well rounded. btw – SueD – you are on a roll today 🙂

9. 14 Ceb
    June 5, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Yep! Renegade, as I have said in times past, is a true Renaissance man; a man of many parts for all seasons.

10. 15 Hachikō
    June 5, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Smartypants’ blog post made me LOL. Fun.

11. 16 HZ
    June 5, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Sue, do not make me knock my computer over. That is too funny. You are on a roll, Sue.

12. June 5, 2011 at 3:59 pm

I have a thing for nerds. Nerds are sexy especially when they come in a package like the president.

13. 18 Fred
    June 5, 2011 at 3:59 pm

The rabid Palin followers are working around the clock trying to rewrite(that’s right people) the whole Paul Revere story on wikipedia 😆

14. June 5, 2011 at 4:02 pm

This nerd talk came up before. Remember the Radio Correspondent’s dinner?

Check out comedian John Hodgeman:

15. 22 Debra
    June 5, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Well Spock did prefer Obama.

16. 23 lisalovesobama
    June 5, 2011 at 4:59 pm

I’d forgotten this awards dinner. But I think the best part of John’s bit was at the end where he said: “you are not exactly the person we hoped you would be. and perhaps it was wrong and impractical and unrealistic of us to lay such hopes upon you. the reality is we are geeks, we are defined by our passions and our enthusiasms but also by our open-mindedness, now is not the time for purity tests.” I think this award thing happened when the PL started to make noise about PBO being Bush-lite and when they started talking about how disappointed they were with him. Remember mid-way through John’s bit he was like: ‘oh, but I’m a bit nervous because you’re supposed to be a nerd but I hear you dabble in basketball, so I’m going to ask you a few questions to test your nerd-hood.’ (loosely paraphrased). John is a smart man, and I must admit that when I was watching this two years ago, I don’t remember picking up on the message he was sending us and PBO, but boy howdy, as I was watching it again for the first time since it originally aired, all I heard John say just resonated. Boy was he ever on point! I think the PL still haven’t realized it that PBO is just a man, a smart, charismatic, caring man, but a man none-the-less. All he can do is the best he can do to ensure a bright and successful future for us and his family. He is not endowed with super-human powers, he can’t change the hearts and minds of those who hate and belittle him and try to assure his demise by endangering America and her people. He can’t unilaterally pass legislation that meets the desires of the PL with no thought to it’s legality or constitutionality. I think they forget that though he is the embodiment of all our hopes and dreams, he is still a man who governs a country divided, by religion, politics, morality and common sense. It’s a lesson the PL refuse to learn to their detriment. Instead of accepting PBO as he is and working within the delineated markers of his sphere of influence, they continuously attempt to belittle and demean him. To sneer and revile him as though he is more than he is and is intentionally working below his potential. No man can or should be what we all want him to be. If PBO did everything we ever wanted or desired then he’d be Christ on earth, and while that would be lovely, we don’t need Christ on earth right now. We need our fellow human beings to be Christ-like, to restore our trust and faith in each other. To relearn how to love each other and ourselves. We have to learn to stay committed and loyal. We’ve signed on to a cause, the cause that PBO represents, not just because PBO asked us, but because fundamentally that cause is what we all believe in. It’s what makes sense to us, it’s a route through which we believe we can build a healthier, wealthier future for other generations. Therefore, every stumble we encounter (unemployment going up), every obstacle that forces its way into our path (Repugs), is a test of our faith in each other and a test of our loyalty not only to PBO, but essentially to each other. The fact that we are here, still loving, still supporting, still pulling for PBO is a testament to our strength.
    This morning I was checking on a thread here and I saw some people’s concerning about possible dark horse Paw-Paw Lenty 2.0 aka Backstabbing Huntsman. At first I was a bit annoyed because what I saw was a reflection of my own concern that I had been attempting to suppress for some time, but there it was, reflected in the last place I ever wanted to see it. So I quickly decided to bury my head in the sand and watched some Mutual of Omaha segments on whales and apes. I then decided that I would venture back into TOD to see if anything new had occurred and that’s when I saw the link to this video. I don’t doubt that PBO will win re-election, I don’t doubt that this premise is something we all believe in, I guess I was just slightly shaken by the fact that my concern about the Backstabber had also concerned PBO’s staunchest supporters- I had hoped that it was just me because I’m told that I’m more than slightly OCD- heavy on the worry. But someone on the thread I read this morning said it best, “it’s going to be close, even PBO’s advisors say so….” It’s true, this election will be closer than 2008, but the good thing about this election is that we’ll be voting for the man, the man who stays up late at night, reading through secret reports that guarantee our safety, the man who makes important decisions about the health of our economy, the man who loves us unconditionally, even though we sneer and spit in his face. Hunstman may have the Koch brothers at his back, but PBO has US. He’s got TOD, Blackwaterdog, Mrs.O.org, michelleobamawatch.com, 18 million followers on twitter(or more), and millions more who love him and trust him. He’s also got right on his side and frankly, that takes the cake.

17. 25 Sue in Minnesota
    June 6, 2011 at 2:27 am

Lisa that was wonderfully conveyed. Let’s all be weary of negative energy and impulses. Reflect on all that PBO is and does, and his commitment to The American Family, recharge your hope batteries by his inspiration and his example, and like anything worth having, lets work our butts off for it.

My brother and I butted heads today in a discussion about innovation and the oil industry. What I clearly recognized is the differences in our attitudes, despite usually holding similar positions on the issues.
    He keeps demanding change, but when you suggest the possibilities, he says I am the dreamer and “the reality is”. He has already made up his mind that things can’t change. In a way it is a form of insanity, or a circular route to nowhere. It will never be enough to simply understand what is wrong and why it’s wrong. You have to be willing to change, and to believe that you can be a part of the political force necessary to move hearts and minds. You have to be willing to imagine the possibilities, take the risk and implement the action to change realities. Seems to me fear is our biggest problem. Change, it takes guts.

• 26 lisalovesobama
      June 6, 2011 at 9:26 am

“Seems to me fear is our biggest problem. Change, it takes guts.”- That’s so true Sue. What some fail to understand is that change takes time, guts and isn’t easy because while we’re angling for change we have to confront and battle our own fears. You’re brother may not realize this Sue, but you do and that makes all the difference.
      ps- I think it’s hard for someone who is confronted from day to day with difficulties like unemployment, smaller paychecks, gas prices, housing problems, etc to find the hope and work for change, especially when they believe that their realities are different from everyone else’s. All we can do is plant the seed, it may not take root now, but with time, the right conditions and nurturing, that seed may grow. All the best to your brother Sue and good morning to you 😉

18. 27 northanger