Jun

the week ahead

Monday: There are no public events scheduled for the president … he will hold his monthly meeting on Afghanistan and Pakistan with his national security team.

Tuesday: The President and First Lady will host German Chancellor Angela Merkel for an official visit at the White House. Chancellor Merkel’s visit will include an official arrival ceremony, a bilateral meeting and a press conference with the two leaders.

In the evening, the Obamas will host a state dinner for Merkel and her husband, Dr Joachim Sauer. During the dinner ceremonies, President Obama will present Merkel with the 2010 Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian honor in the United States. Merkel was bestowed the award last year but was unable to attend the ceremony at the White House.

Wednesday: President Obama will attend an “event” – details to come – in the Washington area that the White House says will focus on “the importance of training and preparing our workforce to compete for manufacturing jobs across the nation”.

Later on Wednesday, the president will host the Auburn Tigers, Auburn University’s football team, winners of the 2010 BCS national championship.

Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan meets with President Obama at the White House.

Thursday: President Obama will welcome President Ali Bondo Ondimba of Gabon to the White House. Ondimba holds the presidency of the United Nations Security Council for the month of June.

The White House has not released details of the president’s schedule for Friday.

CNN

62 Responses to “the week ahead”

1. 1 Jessica
    June 5, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Yayyyyy to the state dinner. Hope the girls attend like last time.

• 2 HZ
      June 5, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Would be a delight. The girls are growing up right before us like little ladies. Daddy has a BIG schedule.

2. 3 Fred
    June 5, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Angela Merkel with the 2010 Medal of Freedom 🙄 🙄 😆

• 4 Jessica
      June 5, 2011 at 5:45 pm

I dont know much about her. What’s with the eye-rolling?

• 5 Dorothy Rissman
        June 6, 2011 at 12:13 am

I do not trust her. She plays nice with Iran for her oil issues. What does that say to us?

• 6 DreamChaser57
          June 6, 2011 at 4:59 pm

America does not necessairly have a good track record either when it comes to our politics & oil consumption…

• 7 DreamChaser57
      June 6, 2011 at 5:00 pm

I wlll not assume she’s undeserving but my first immediate thought was that why was she awarded the Medal of Freedom…I have not heard anything.

June 5, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Phew!… big schedule for the week. Glad for the arrival ceremony and state dinner. Cannot wait for the outfits MO is going to be rocking. Oh yeah.. Can’t wait to see PBO looking dapper also. I’m glad he’s meeting with these varied leaders from different countries. Can’t wait for the outcomes of the meetings. It promises to be an interesting week indeed.

4. 9 donna dem 4 obama
    June 5, 2011 at 5:47 pm

I will be the guest of The President and Mrs Obama for the arrival ceremony honoring Her Excellency Dr. Angela Merkel on Tuesday June 7, 2011 on the South Lawn of the White House. 🙂 : 🙂 🙂

Needless to say I am beyond THRILLED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope to get close enough to take some really good pictures. Stay tuned TOD’ers

• 10 SUE DUVALL SMITH
      June 5, 2011 at 5:54 pm

CAN YOU TAKE US ALL WITH YOU TO HELP YOU TAKE PICTURES!!!!!! OH PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ!

• 11 utaustinliberal
        June 5, 2011 at 5:59 pm

OMG!!!! OMG!!!!!!!…. so jealous of you right now donna. 😆 I hope you have a great time, a great spot and a great view. I soo hope you can bring back pictures for us TOD’ers. Have fun fun fun! 🙂

• 12 donna dem 4 obama
        June 5, 2011 at 6:09 pm

I wish I could Sue. Can you imagine us all strutting onto the South Lawn to see the President and First Lady. That place would never be the same. They would be talking about the day the TOD’ers came to the WH for years to come. 🙂

• 13 SUE DUVALL SMITH
          June 5, 2011 at 6:42 pm

YOU ALL WOULD BE STRUTTING…I WOULD BE PASSED OUT ON THE LAWN FROM EXCITEMENT!…LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!! HAVE A SUPER TIME! WE KNOW YOU WILL…PROBABLY WON’T SLEEP FOR A WEEK AFTER THAT EXPERIENCE!

June 5, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Donna that is fantastic! I am really looking forward to hearing back from you and viewing whatever pictures you are able to take.

• 15 meta
          June 5, 2011 at 7:17 pm

The Day the TOD Came to Call. HAW!!

• 16 kasai
      June 5, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Oh My My!!! Donna you’re so lucky and blessed….Can’t wait to see pictures 🙂

• 17 donna dem 4 obama
        June 5, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Thanks Everyone!

The invitation says the gate opens at 6:45….I plan to be there at 6:00 tapping my foot waiting for that gate to open. 🙂

I want to be right on that rope line to get some good pics for you all.

Also, I need positive thoughts for good weather because it says in case of inclement weather the event will be cancelled. Heaven Forbid!!!!

• June 5, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Whooooooooooo hooooooooooooo!! Fantastic news Donna, thrilled for you!!!! 😉

• 23 donna dem 4 obama
        June 5, 2011 at 6:07 pm

THANKS CHIPS!!!!!

• 24 meta
          June 5, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Donna, GF, I know you will represent!! I can’t wait to hear your account and to see if you were able to capture any photos. Have fun and think about this AMAZING moment in history: POTUS, FLOTUS and the STATE. And you are there!!

• 25 sam uk obama supporter
      June 5, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Oh wow Donna! I am so excited for you!!!! ENJOY, you deserve it.

• June 5, 2011 at 6:25 pm

OMG Donna!!! That’s my dream right there!

Please do give us a ball by ball account of your experience.

So happy for you. 🙂

• 27 Fred
      June 5, 2011 at 6:26 pm

congratulations Donna 😀

• 28 EDP4BHO
      June 5, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Have a great time Donna. You are true blue…no pun intended, but you have been a fervent supporter, shaker and doer for PBO, and our constant cheerleader over at OFA. Love ya for it, so you deserve this special treat. Have a blast 😀 And give PBO my love…LOL!

• 29 Karen, Sr.
      June 5, 2011 at 8:36 pm

What an amazing experience that’s going to be. I can’t wait for you to post those pictures. Now, color me jealous, but I am so thrilled for you. Have fun, donna.

• 30 BIGFan
      June 5, 2011 at 10:38 pm

Donna, I’m so thrilled and excited for you! Congratulations! Can’t wait to read all the details.

• 31 theo67
      June 5, 2011 at 11:18 pm

Donna – I, for one, will be staying tuned with baited breath to hear your report! I’m so glad you’re getting this honour. How lovely. 🙂

• 32 VC prezOfan2
        June 5, 2011 at 11:49 pm

Donna D, enjoy EVERY moment of this affair!

P. S. Your palms are bound to sweat, and since no-one seems to have asked yet, I’m offering as a thoughtful TOD sister to come with you to hold your purse, with an old-fashioned handkerchief in case you need it. Pick me, as my request is selfless, [and my outfit can be readied in no time]!

• 35 Dorothy Rissman
      June 6, 2011 at 12:15 am

Donna. that is amazing. What can I possibly say. Good for you girl. dr

• 36 DreamChaser57
      June 6, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Dear Donna –

I regret to inform you that I have already started the Vulcan mind meld process, it should not hurt a bit. I will be taking over your body for all of Tuesday and I will return it early Wednesday morning unless you have a smaller waist then I will be enjoying it until beach season is OVER. I will hob nob with political movers and shakers, I will throw my head back in witty laugh that I have praticed, I will drink white wine with a shiny glass….

YES!!!!!!!!! Hurry up Tuesday.

Seriously, have a grand time dahhhhhhhhhhhh-llllllllllllliiiiinnnnnggggggg

5. 37 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    June 5, 2011 at 5:50 pm

LOOKS LIKE THE PRESIDENT HAS HIS USUAL BUSY AND VERY DIPLOMATIC SCHEDULE. I WANT TO SEE WHAT’S ON THE STATE DINNER MENU! OF COURSE OUR FIRST COUPLE WILL LOOK AWESOME AS ALWAYS! HOPE THERE’S NO GERMAN SAURKRAUT ON THE MENU BECAUSE THE WINDOWS AT THE WHITE HOUSE ARE USUALLY CLOSED….UNLESS IT’S OUTSIDE…THEN IT’S FAIR GAME! JUST A THOUGHT!…:) I AM SOOOO ORNERY!

June 5, 2011 at 7:02 pm

A very busy week indeed. Hopefully tonight he’s sitting back relaxing at the WH, maybe watching the NBA finals with some friends & family.

6. 39 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    June 5, 2011 at 5:52 pm

YOU KNOW DARNED GOOD AND WELL THAT WITH ALL THOSE POLITICIANS IN ONE ROOM…THERE IS PLENTY OF HOT AIR TO GO ROUND…THEY DON’T NEED ANY MORE HELP!LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

7. June 5, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Navy says Greenhouse gas rule is making a differnce:

A senior Navy official said Friday that a controversial 2007 law aimed at blocking military purchases of high-carbon fuels has been effective.

A provision in a sweeping 2007 energy bill barred federal agencies from buying alternative fuels if their production and use produces more greenhouse gas emissions than conventional oil-based fuels.

Tom Hicks, the Navy’s deputy assistant secretary for energy who was appointed under President Obama, called it an effective law at a House Energy and Commerce Committee hearing Friday.

“We are comfortable with 526,” he said, referring to Section 526 of 2007’s Energy Independence and Security Act. “It is an effective policy tool, it is having an effect on the market that I think is one in the right direction.”

8. June 5, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Here is the real reason the republicans are going after the EPA. The new greenhouse gas emmissions regs, are now effectively closing coal fired plants:

9. June 5, 2011 at 6:41 pm

With the close of each recipient reporting cycle, more and more Recovery funded projects are being completed. As of May 25, 2011 the total was 63,655. Many Department of Transportation projects funded by Recovery awards are long-term, but here are some that have been completed already:

10. 44 HZ
    June 5, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Donna, so eleated for you. I will also send up prayers for a great evening. Take lots of photos of FLOTUS’s outfit.

11. 46 Carolyn
    June 5, 2011 at 7:40 pm

I do so like the name of the President of Nigeria….Goodluck Jonathan…what a great name. Looks like a fabulously busy and productive week.

12. June 5, 2011 at 8:39 pm

On another note, Chipsticks I don’t know if you have the entire ping pong exchange between the president, the uk prime minister and school kids in england.

I saw the whole thing here:

If you did then cool.

13. 48 Doris
    June 5, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Congratulations Donna!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂 Do us proud girlfriend. Have a good time and take lots of pictures and send them to Chips for us to see. WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!! You go Girl!

14. June 5, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Perhaps this belongs in the “a good sport” thread.

My bad.

15. 52 GGail
    June 5, 2011 at 10:50 pm

Did Chipsticks go to sleep without saying G’nite?

16. June 6, 2011 at 12:34 am

Great, great, and great news about Afghanistan possible withdrawal news:

17. 55 Sue in Minnesota
    June 6, 2011 at 1:21 am

Really late checking in today….Donna I am thrilled for your opportunity. Will be anxious to get the 411 on your evening. Send the Obama’s are love!

18. 56 kiki
    June 6, 2011 at 6:54 am

thanks for all your hard work, Chipsticks! I love TOD!! Your coverage of Pres. Obama’s visit to Ireland in particular was amazing!! 😀

RE: Chancellor Angela Merkel’s official visit at the White House
    I came across an Obama interview for a German outlet, where he talks a bit about Chancellor Merkel and US-German relations, and thought people might be interested in it…

“The story of Angela Merkel is an inspiration.” It is his first interview for a German outlet: President Obama replies to a mail from Tagesspiegel correspondent Christoph von Marschall.

19. 60 AJ
    June 6, 2011 at 6:55 am

Sorry to cut in on the conversation, but could someone let me know how to email Chipsticks directly? I’ve tried Chipsticks@theobamadiary.com, but I guess that’s not it. 🙂

Thank you.