Jun

sabotage?

Yahoo: …As an American citizen, I would think – or at least hope – that elected government representatives would … put the country’s interests firsts, even if those interests conflicted with their personal desire to gain more power or get re-elected.

My colleague Dan Gross, however, who has covered Washington for two decades, thinks that this principle – if it ever existed – has been thrown out the window. …Dan argues, Republicans are doing everything they can to ensure that the economy remains a mess when it comes time for the 2012 election…

…If this is actually what some Republicans are doing, Americans of both parties should be outraged. The first loyalty of any elected representative should be acting in the best interests of the country., and advocating policies that you know will hurt the country – or stonewalling ones that will help it – is a gross dereliction of professional and civic responsibility.

More here

24 Responses to “sabotage?”

1. 1 africa
    June 12, 2011 at 10:43 am

OK. Now, I am beyond mad. And all I can say to this is that the media is complicit in all of this mess. I refuse to believe that some of them cannot grasp that the Repbulicans are hell bent on seeing PBO become a one-term president, and for that reason will harm an entire country.

Folks, we have to force these guys to address this issue. We have to tell them that if they don’t tell the truth about this, then they are willing participants in ruining this country.

I will tell them if it takes me everyday until the elections roll around. This is a travesty.

• June 12, 2011 at 1:50 pm

I will too Africa, you are spot on. In my opinion, the media has long been our biggest problem.. without their complicity- republicans/ tea party people… Palin.. Trump- none of them would be getting any trust whatsoever from the American people. Who is it that dominates Sunday ‘news’ shows.. who is it that does most of the punditing night after night on the national news… republicans. The media is nothing more than one big Republican spin machine anymore. And we the American public have allowed them to be so.

• June 12, 2011 at 1:58 pm

I would add that WE HAVE GOT TO BE THE MEDIA. That is the point of US, I believe. Things go ‘viral’ because WE make them so. Chips, BWD and all of our other most excellent online bloggers of FACTS- put this info all together for us each day.. one of the easiest things and most important things we can do.. is email and twitter and facebook this stuff ourselves.. even emailing to one person and requesting they do the same. I know that you Africa and now gn too have your blogs also- and the more of you out here, the more of you gathering and informing and the more of us furthering that, even in a small way will ultimately become a force that will rival the national media BS. Again, we are who we’ve been waiting for.

• 4 africa
          June 12, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Agreed 100 +

2. 5 Fred
    June 12, 2011 at 10:51 am

I hope this goes viral 😡

3. 6 Valerie
    June 12, 2011 at 11:27 am

I just posted this on my facebook…..we need term limits for everybody!! 😦

June 12, 2011 at 12:26 pm

If the President can only serve two terms, then it should be the same for Congress and Senate.

• 8 Tally
        June 12, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I’m not so sure that term limits are in our best interest.

I WANT a political/governmental/law PROFESSIONAL who understands how the system works, and is “called” to SERVE THE PEOPLE (Barack Obama/Barbara Boxer), not some newbie yahoo with no clue (Palin/Meg Whitman/Carly Fiorina etc etc etc.)

Our biggest problems are:

1. MONEY. Money in the system corrupts the weak minded, and those who lack moral character.
        2. EDUCATION. We have become a stupid society, full of sociopaths who believe greed is good, and if they’ve got theirs, then screw everyone else. We’ve become a ME society, instead of a WE society, and that right now, is one of the biggest poisons in our pool.

Stupid people elect bad people into office, then are convinced by these monsters they should be reelected. If we had a SMARTER, more informed citizenry, who CARED, and were MORE INVOLVED, we wouldn’t be in this mess. But civics and economics are no longer taught anywhere other than at the University level. That in and of itself is a huge part of the problem.

4. 9 Ladyhawke
    June 12, 2011 at 11:36 am

This is a good thread to repost the Economic Summit held at the White House last week with the “ONLINE MEDIA”. Since cable and network television are useless when it comes to educating and informing the American people with the facts, it looks like the White House is hoping they can get some help from the online media. Even with the bully pulpit and the trappings of the Oval Office, circumventing the media firewall continues to be a challenge. It is a travesty that most American don’t have a clue about the accomplishments of President Obama and his administration on the economic recovery.

NEWSMAX JOINS OBAMA FOR WHITE HOUSE ECONOMIC SUMMIT:

WASHINGTON — Newsmax met with President Barack Obama and his senior advisers at a special White House Summit to discuss a wide range of serious economic issues facing the United States and the world.

In a first for the administration, the White House brought together 22 of the country’s leading online media — including Newsmax, Forbes, The Economist, Kiplinger, MSN, Yahoo, and AOL/Huffington Post — to create a platform to better communicate the administration’s economic message.

5. 10 anniebella
    June 12, 2011 at 12:24 pm

It’s time for the American people to open their eyes and use what common sense the good Lord gave them. A blind man can see what the Republicans have been trying to do from day one. They don’t give a dam if people suffer, if the economy sinks into a depression. They want this President to fail. And when I see polls saying that they trust the Republicans with the debt, the economy, and I say wait a minute hay you people forgotten? These Republicans are the ones who was in charge when this crisis started. How stupid can people get?

6. 11 jeri Gloss
    June 12, 2011 at 1:05 pm

There is nearly a visceral dislike of our President Obama….from some quarters. Unfortunately, we have seen the ugly hand of hate reach out and grab our gracious President by the throat – most unbecoming from anyone, let alone, those claiming to represent the country, those claiming to serve the people. We have seen members of the Tea Party push the envelope, teasing the boundaries of acceptable behavior in civilized circles, and we have heard, been stunned by rhetoric we never, ever would permit in any of our own personal one on one encounters. Given that all of this has edged it’s mean and cruel way into today’s lexicon, yeah, I believe there are many who would do anything to see our man separated from his justly won, and democratically elected position. Here’s my test for it. President and Mrs Obama are raising two young ladies. So much ugliness has been hurled, without mindfulness of these two little fresh and unblemished spirits who are right there near their folks . No, I do not trust people who are uninterested in the harm they lay close to these kids, don’t trust those people to do the right thing in any situation. So, yes, easily I believe that there are those who would see America fail before they will accept, let alone give credit to our good President. More than ever, it is crucial we stand strong for this man and his family. Can I get a witness?

7. 12 Karen, Sr.
    June 12, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Ladyhawke,

I just went to every one of those sites and had to search “white house economic summit” to find anything on this. Forbes never bothered to write anything. At least I couldn’t find it.

MSN only reported what the President said about personal spending and titled the article “Savings advice from Barack Obama”. Nothing more. The comments are 100% negative.

We have so much work to do. The money is against truth. Without sounding too much like a conspiracy nut, the media isn’t just biased, it’s part of the conspiracy.

“Just because you’re paranoid, doesn’t mean they’re not after you.” -Joseph Heller- Catch 22

• 13 jeri Gloss
      June 12, 2011 at 2:14 pm

I don’t think the media are necessarily bias from a political standpoint. I believe it is all about the ratings i.e. the money. If it was a republican president, the media would take him to the woodshed too. Anything to hold us hostage. Wherever they can find anything – like a Trump debacle, they will play it up til the last dog dies. The media heads are despicable. Karen, I love your comment – the money is against truth. We are now living in an age of greed that has left me breathless. Say anything, do anything, swear anything – as long as the almighty dollar follows, there is nothing out of bounds. Few and far between are the “true stars” of today’s media. We need to take stands, make moves. I don’t even know what we need to do. I have a hunch Sheryl is correct – WE need to be the news source. We certainly cannot be worse than those yellow journalists and hustlers. Look at all the scrutiny given Palin’s emails. And just watch – it was reported that Trump says he may come back to run after all – let’s look for him next year. Whaaaaat? Let’s see what kind of attention these charlatans garner!

• 14 Left-Indie
        June 12, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Few days ago, Texas senator Hutchingson accused the President of bias against Texas. Boom! No mincing words, just a straight shot. A senator! Now, we see someone vocalize what we’ve all suspected, and the elected democrats probably know. What I like to know is why they haven’t raised this issue in the media, like with an innocent seeming question like Fox thugs employ: “Are the Republicans betting against the US recoery for political gains?” (sorry for typos, I litteraly can’t see my screen on this site)

• 15 jeri Gloss
          June 12, 2011 at 6:47 pm

I just do not know what the truth is about this. I need to give it further thought. Yes, I heard about Hutchinson declaring the President biased against Texas. I dismissed it out of hand as a typical stupid Republican comment. But you make a fair point Left-Indie – why hasn’t this been covered sufficiently. It’s a pretty big statement actually, and shouldn’t just be left swinging.

• 16 Left-Indie
            June 12, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Jeri, I was more interested in the pivot incindiary question: Is the GOP hamstringing the US economy to hurt Obama in 2012? I like to see that raised high, and let them scramble and defend

• 17 Tally
              June 12, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Seriously, and I don’t mean to be sarcastic, but hasn’t this been painfully obvious from the start????

Mitch McConnell came right out and said his #1 goal wasn’t JOBS, The economy, OBL, the safety and security of the American people, or anything else to HELP ANYONE OR ANYTHING, but was to make Obama a 1 term president.

HAS EVERYONE BEEN ASLEEP?????

*I’m not yelling at anyone here…… I’m just so beyond frustrated by anyone feigning SURPRISE at this!!!!

/pulls hair out

• June 12, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Ha, I know what you mean Tally – I think the surprise here is that someone – anyone! – in the media (other than a few of the obvious voices) has finally spat out the truth!

• 19 Tally
                  June 12, 2011 at 9:34 pm

I gave up hope of re PRESS doing it’s job when Reagan killed The Fairness Doctrine.

The Fourth Estate died a long time ago. It’a all about profit now, not about an informed populace.

Our society is so backwards when our main religion has become money.

• 20 jeri Gloss
              June 12, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Yes, Left-Indie, if you check out my earlier post (1:05 p.m.) I clearly believe that the GOP are not only prepared, but have shown us in countless overt ways that they simply do not care who or what they hurt – logical conclusion, the country be damned. And are the media complicit? Hell Yes! If they had any spine and an ounce of integrity they would call the Republicans out on it. It is true that Keith Olbermann was never shy about his views, and I have missed him terribly. Yes, we understand his view is skewed to our side, but the entire Fox network is geared towards obliterating the Obama Administration. I will stand with my president for as long as he is willing to endure the utter hatred and nonsense the Tea Party et al bring him….

8. 21 Karen, Sr.
    June 12, 2011 at 2:20 pm

And the media isn’t stopping with just the U.S. of A. Oh, no.

The Economist magazine has entered into the fray of Turkey’s elections.

“But the prestigious publication’s endorsement of an opposition party ahead of Sunday’s parliamentary elections in Turkey has drawn an angry response from the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) of the Turkish prime minister, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, with the country’s finance minister even “unfollowing” the magazine on Twitter in retaliation.”

9. 22 Tally
    June 12, 2011 at 2:25 pm

COME ON! This has been the Republican SOP for years.

10. 23 Roberta
    June 12, 2011 at 2:27 pm

I just posted that on my Facebook page. Lets hope more people pass it on.

11. 24 bjw2
    June 12, 2011 at 6:19 pm

People have been saying this for over a year. Even though Ed Schultz can go over the top at times he amongst others have been ranting about this for a while.

The media treats the republicans as if they have no role in governing. When they speak about the economy they talk about it being a problem for the president, neglecting the fact that the republican house hold the purse strings, and even if the president was to put forth another stimulus it’s the republicans that have to agree to the funding.

Here in Ohio John Kasich first job was to nix the high speed rail project which would have put thousands back to work. The majority of the people here in Ohio were ignorant to the fact that we would have gotten a rail car manufacturing plant included in the deal. The moment the governor axed the project the manufacturer pulled out of the state and sent the jobs elsewhere. Economists also estimated that the project would have stirred private development all along the line.

There is often talk about having a revolution in this country ………and I would only agree to that argument only if we start with overthrowing the media.

Remember folks these are the same people that sat by and watched the last admin lie us into a war and drive up the deficit……..now these dumb clucks act that it was this president that started both wars and drove up the deficit.

From here on out I will signing all my posts with the following Post Script.

P.S.
    There is no such thing as a TeaParty, they’re just angry republicans ashamed that they voted for Bush.

@POTUS