Jun

omg

Steve Benen: Rep. Michele Bachmann, the unhinged Republican presidential candidate, desperately wants the public to believe she’s a “serious person,” and not at all a “flake.” She could start by avoiding mistakes like these:

Rep. Michele Bachmann kicked off her presidential campaign on Monday in Waterloo, Iowa, and in one interview surrounding the official event she promised to mimic the spirit of Waterloo’s own John Wayne.

The only problem, as one eagle-eyed reader notes: Waterloo’s John Wayne was not the beloved movie star, but rather John Wayne Gacy, the serial killer.

…. she told Fox News, “What I want them to know is, just like John Wayne was from Waterloo, Iowa. That’s the kind of spirit that I have, too.”

John Wayne is from Iowa, but not Waterloo. Bachmann is apparently confusing John Wayne and John Wayne Gacy. The former was a movie star; the latter killed 33 people. More here

Thanks Anita 😉

Note: Bachmann came from the same town as Gacy lived in for a while – Waterloo, Iowa. John Wayne came from Winterset, Iowa, around three hours away – and she still mixed them up.

I dropped over to the dark side again to have a look at the reaction to Bachmann’s gaffe. They’re, um, not impressed:

For me, it shows she is is not very honest..she was trying to attach herself to the John Wayne mystic and cash in on it…with the theme of returning to John Wayne’s America…and claims she is from Waterloo (and is)…but didn’t know John Wayne was NOT from Waterloo but from Winterset. Maybe she kicked off her campaign from there because she thought John Wayne was from there. Unfortunately for her, there was a John Wayne from Waterloo..and that is the stake that is going to be nailed through her Presidential campaign with the media.

Somewhere, Chris Wallace is smiling …. Maybe Chris Wallace should revisit his apology on the use of the word flake. This stupid comment from her is going to make for some real laughable headlines. It is going viral..for sure ….. This could kill her campaign.

How could she NOT know that the “Duke” was from Winterset and not Waterloo? The media is going to ravage her for this screw up.

The problem is that Bachmann is from Waterloo. She should know that the Hero was not born there and the infamous killer did live there.

Did Michele’s Waterloo become her Waterloo moment?

I think it could have blown her chance. Now everyone is going to be talking about her huge Gaffe and making fun of her. Like: Andy Daglas – “Michele Bachmann compares herself to great patriots of old, like Sam Adams and his celebrated offspring, Son of Sam.”

That’s a vicious slander, and you ought to be roundly reprimanded for making it on this website.

Alright. This one is a genuine problem ….. This could be her “I can see Russia from my house” moment.

It depends on she is representing herself as she tries to connect with those in Iowa. It appears she was trying to cash in on where she lived and the central theme of John Wayne’s America. She blew it. And yes, this is starting to go viral.

This guy is staying loyal, though:

Word is now that John Wayne’s parents lived in Waterloo before moving to Winterset. In fact, the Duke may have been conceived in Waterloo. A distinction almost without difference, imho.

😆

Bachmann fans have been busy trying to edit Wikipedia to show she was right about Wayne’s birthplace …. 😳

70 Responses to “omg”

1. 1 nintendowii10
    June 27, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Who is crazier: Batshitcrazy Bachmann, or Sarah-What’s-Her-Name-Ringing-Bells-And-Whatnot? 😆

2. 2 theo67
    June 27, 2011 at 3:47 pm

It is a crime that this woman has been allowed to declare herself fit to run for President. Are there no standards? If nothing else – it should be entertaining… unless she manages to win (which is not inconceivable – Bush was President for eight years).

3. 3 Fred
    June 27, 2011 at 3:50 pm

the comments posted in that clip pains me 😡 😦

• 4 nintendowii10
      June 27, 2011 at 3:54 pm

I posted a few replies calling out the one troll that keeps on posting the 57 states nonsense. Seriously, that old soundbite is all these right wing losers have to cling on, it’s been used and abused for so long it’s not original anymore, just like the teleprompter crap.

• 5 utaustinliberal
        June 27, 2011 at 4:10 pm

These trolls and their major trollette Elizabeth Hasselbeck from The View always brings up the fact that during the campaign candidate Obama mistakenly said we had 57 states in America. I remember watching that mini town hall style meeting he was having with people and he was dog tired. To his credit he hasn’t made the same mistake twice. Everytime Sarah Palin or one of their beloved nutjobs spews idiotic crap they pull out the 57 states mistake to justify the madness within their party. It’s frankly unoriginal and at least President Obama didn’t compare himself to a serial killer or tell people not to retreat but to reload. Call em out some more nintendowii10. They’re clowns.

• June 27, 2011 at 4:13 pm

5 states? that’s all they got? almost three years of speeches and interviews as president and plenty more during the general and all they could pull out is the 57 states clip?

4. June 27, 2011 at 3:52 pm

And Romney falsely claims that unemployment is the worst ever under Obama!

Lies… But they can get away with it bc the msm ignores it!!!

• 8 nintendowii10
      June 27, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Don’t worry jovie. Romney will forget he ever said this tomorrow morning and he’ll move on to the next absurd claim against Obama. 😉

5. June 27, 2011 at 3:54 pm

.She seem to ALWAYS, and I do mean ALWAYs say things that make you wonder where she’s coming from. It’s like she never makes good sense, It just kind of leave you with WHAT????

6. 11 GGail
    June 27, 2011 at 3:55 pm

O.M.G.!!!!!! Palin, Part II This campaign is gonna be made into a movie – a Comedy!!!!! Give us more Bachman 😀

June 27, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Can we just make a movie, I’m guessing it would be comparable in length to all of the “Lord of the Rings” epics…..of the outrageous,sick, ridiculous and flat out lies this woman has told?! MSM…wake the hell and call her out!

• June 27, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Presidents debt ceiling panel- this sounds about right. It will get them past the election and then rollover the bush taxcuts for the other savings!

• 17 Anonymous
      June 27, 2011 at 4:12 pm

They should ignore them.

• June 27, 2011 at 4:31 pm

I think that’s about right – GOP are o going to agree to any revenues, Dems will block ay medicare/entitlement cuts. Dems and Repubs should agree to this – let’s run on it in 2012. GOP can run on “No new taxes on rich, but cuts to medicare, and Dems can run on “Raise taxes 4% on the rich ($250K+/yr), leave medicare as is” and may the most convincing argument win.

June 27, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Hahahahahahahahaha…. omg… I’m loling so hard right now… 😆 😆 This woman is an uneducated fool. To think she grew up in Iowa and knew enough about Waterloo to pick said venue for her announcement but just happened to miss the fact that she wants voters to know she has the spirit of a serial killer. Chris Wallace was right in asking her if she was a flake. He should have followed it up with….. and are you a batshit crazy epic moron?

• 21 Doris
      June 27, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Love this utaustin, lol, I almost fell out of the bed. 😀 This is a wonderful day. I’m so glad this woman is in the race. Comedy Central for sure.

• 22 utaustinliberal
        June 27, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Oh Doris can you imagine the hilarious commentary Stephen Colbert will have on Michele Bachmann should she continue on in the race? 😀

• 23 Doris
          June 27, 2011 at 4:22 pm

If he gets up on a pony again, lol. What is he going to pull out of his hat for this flub? I’m watching tonight for sure. I’ve been reading an article on Huff for the comments only, and I tell you, they are through the roof. Those folks are ruthless, lol. Does this women know she’s crazy? Comedy gold as someone said earlier.

• June 27, 2011 at 5:59 pm

I borrowed this from RubiconAZ. It seems appropriate in explaining Bachmann:

“That would make her a corn flake. You know, as in the serial…Oh, never mind.” 😆 😆 😆

• June 27, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Sarah Palin with a law degree, still as flaky as can be.

• 27 Ladyhawke
        June 27, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Speaking of the Quitter from Wasilla, this should be interesting……….(short video clip included at the link)

THE BLOOMFIELD FILM WILL DROP A BOMB ON SARAH PALIN’S UNDEFEATED:

Nick Broomfield is at it again. This time the independent documentarian takes on Sarah Palin.

While Sarah Palin’s image rehab film “The Undefeated” debuts in Iowa tomorrow evening, another Palin film waits in the wings and this one has the potential to drop a bomb on “The Undefeated”.

Derek Malcolm of the Guardian once said of Nick, “If Broomfield took up wedding photography, the divorce rate would be even higher.” This is not the man you want helming a documentary of you if you are hiding under a perilously constructed myth.

Peabody winner Broomfield also holds numerous other prestigious awards, from First Prize at Sundance to a 2006 Bafta Award for his contribution to the documentary genre. If that doesn’t impress you, Broomfield’s filmography includes “Aileen Wuronos: The Selling of a Serial Killer”, “Biggie & Tupac” and “Kurt & Courtney”.

Here’s a short clip from his documentary via RadarOnline:

• June 27, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Ah wow, I adore Nick Broomfield, one of the greatest documentary makers ever! (‘The Leader, His Driver and the Driver’s Wife’ on that South African Nazi guy was magnificent). Cannot wait to see his take on the half-termer. Thanks Ladyhawke.

June 27, 2011 at 5:28 pm

That’s ‘cuz it’s from a” wanna be ” law school…and it was tax law, to boot! Too funny…

9. 30 Me4obama
    June 27, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Too bad I can’t vote for her in the primaries to push her over the finish line 😦

10. June 27, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Apparently she got the city wrong but seriously the people behind her can’t fact check this?

11. 33 Me4obama
    June 27, 2011 at 4:22 pm

SNL won’t need writers for the GOP debates.

12. 35 theo67
    June 27, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Since she keeps getting locations wrong, maybe she isn’t even trying to be President of the United States – maybe she’s got that location wrong, too, and she’s trying to run for President of Uruguay or something. At this rate, anything is possible.

13. 36 Me4obama
    June 27, 2011 at 4:40 pm

I hope and wish this doesn’t ruin her chance to get the nomination.

14. 37 MeaBloom
    June 27, 2011 at 4:43 pm

You know for some reason she kind of reminds me of Palin or vice versa. Whenever I hear or read something either of them has said I’m kinda like “Huh?? What??”. What is she talking about? Why are taping this?? C.R.A.Z.Y

Obama2012&I’mIn

15. 38 Brian
    June 27, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Michelle’s going to add to our high unemployment by throwing comedy writers out of work.

Who needs gag writers when she can come up with this stuff off the top of her head?

16. 39 PoliticalJunkessa
    June 27, 2011 at 4:47 pm

The idiocy is compounded by the fact (as one can see from the comments posted on the “dark side”) that John Wayne is considered a hero — that we should be pining for “John Wayne’s America.”

I feel like shouting to these nitwits: “JOHN WAYNE WAS AN ACTOR WHO PLAYED COWBOY ROLES. IT WAS PRETEND!”

These righties and their love for actors and a fake past America! 😈

June 27, 2011 at 4:58 pm

“I am not a flake. I am you.”

I am Michelle Bachman and I approve this message.

• 45 Doris
      June 27, 2011 at 5:05 pm

LOL. I have been laughing all day. The blogs, everybody, they’re off the hook!

June 27, 2011 at 5:33 pm

🙂 If WE can think of these zingers off the tops of our heads…what will the paid professionals(comedy writers) do with this? Is today Monday?She just annnounced today right? Aside from that “debate” they had for Presidential candidates the other day…that she was in…what? She had spare time that day and thought she’d “drop in” and participate in a Presidential debate? My back has been hurting lately…I tweeked it pretty good…but if this kinda stuff keeps up, my stomach and my sides might hurt, too:)

18. 47 PoliticalJunkessa
    June 27, 2011 at 5:00 pm

I love this one:

“Palin & Bachmann can’t speak to reporters. They are both too dumb. Is it honestly too freaking much to ask for a person with half a brain??”

Yes, little freeper — they are both too dumb, and yes, it is too much to ask for a person with half a brain in today’s GOP. Gotta wonder about the people who elected these imbeciles. Ugh!

19. 48 Doris
    June 27, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Today at least, this is the Chris Matthews I love. 😀

• 49 utaustinliberal
      June 27, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Oh I’m watching Chris too, and boy is he ripping Bachmann a new one.

Out of the comments from the dark side that Chips posted, these ones stand out to me:

“Sounds like somebody on her team isn’t on her team. A plant from another campaign? Or from Comedy Central? Or just somebody stupid?”

“Makes me wonder if she might have a mole inside her campaign trying to make her look stupid”

Uhm … no you morons (or as they spell it “morans”) no one needs to infiltrate her camp to elicit such comedy gold. Just put a mic in front of her face and she does all the hardwork for SNL, The Colbert Report, David Letterman and Jimmy Kimmel Live writers.

• 50 Doris
        June 27, 2011 at 5:27 pm

😀 Gonna be nice!

• 51 AnitaW
        June 27, 2011 at 5:48 pm

I thought Chris was loving him some Michelle Bachmann last week. I wish he would make up his mind about that tingle going down his leg.

• 52 dotster
          June 27, 2011 at 7:50 pm

He went back to form at the end of his program however—-praising her for being real, or something—– yeah—real batsh_t crazy. And added that she and her husband were wonderful people for “raising” 23 foster children. They keep using that meme, making it seem like she raised foster kids from birth to 18. She was only a licensed foster parent for 7 years, allowed 3 children at a time. And as another foster parent in her same area said, the length of stay varied with circumstances, from 1 week to 3 months or 3 years or anything in between. It is dishonest to keep repeating that she raised 23 foster kids.
          And the equally interesting person in that home may be her husband, There are rumors galore all over the place (including from our Sue in Mn) that he may be another anti-gay gay. And I just saw a video of him and if he’s not gay, he sure looks like he’s playing one in real life. And he’s known for calling gay people “barbarians” and lecturing on the homosexual agenda and even tho he denies it, he features testimonies from kids who say they have been cured of the gay. The Daily Beast has a little rundown on him recently. He got his masters’ at Pat Robertson’s Regent Univ., his PHD from some fakey correspondence school. And Michelle got her law degree from that esteemed law school (?) Oral Roberts. This is quite the duo. There is so much stuff—-they were required by law to enroll foster kids in public school which they didn’t believe in and thought the kids were being exposed to too much evil there, and so she helps start a charter school but was kicked off the board for introducing a heavy dose of religious extremism into the curriculum. This sounds like a Lifetime movie to me.

• 53 Sue in Minnesota
            June 27, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Dotster, thanks for pointing that out re Marcus Bachmann’s affect. He fits every stereotype. It is speculation that he is gay. But IMO the real issue is not sexuality, it’s religious hypocrisy, and Marcus Bachmann certainly raises suspicion. My brother thinks it is especially curious that everyone of the foster children they have sponsored has been a girl. I have to agree I also think it is odd. They have biological sons. Just weird, as is she.

20. 54 GGail
    June 27, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Oh, this just keeps getting funnier and funnier – Chipsticks – “Somewhere, Chris Wallace is smiling” and so am I. 🙂 Seriously, are they trying to “adjust” Wikipedia? Hmmmmm, sounds familiar…

21. 55 AnitaW
    June 27, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Michelle Bachmann’s fans are now blaming the media for her mis-speaking and because his parents were born in Waterloo it makes her comments okay. They are referring to the criticism of her as “character assissination”. What idiots. It’s going to be a long primary season for these loons.

• 56 Sue in Minnesota
      June 27, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Whatever! They are constantly attempting to rewrite history. Sorry to say, they are morons, and worse, delusional morons.

Bachmann believes what she says, so she is genuine yet crazy because of her zealotry. America would suffer were she to be elected President.

Sarah Palin, is deranged. A dominionist who has a God complex and no sense of personal accountability or responsiblity. America would be destroyed if she were to be elected President. She may in fact be the anti-Christ 8O, 😉

• June 27, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Anita, the part that cracks me up is that some of them (on that nutjob site I visited) were saying that because (the actor) Wayne’s parents lived in Waterloo before he was born, maybe he was conceived there – so that would make him from ….. Waterloo 😆 These people are comedy gold.

• 58 AnitaW
        June 27, 2011 at 7:41 pm

These people are exhausting. I don’t know how you wade through the crazy, nasty comments to get to the decent.

• 59 theo67
        June 27, 2011 at 7:56 pm

How come that wasn’t good enough for their “birther” conspiracies about the President? Fools…

• 60 Sue in Minnesota
      June 27, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Seems to be a character flaw of those on the extreme right…..they are never to blame. Their schizophrenic, one day victim, the next day a bully. Neither being an admirable character trait.

22. 61 cuphalffull
    June 27, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Beyond the obvious, what really made my stomach hurt was the implication that only she and her followers care about this country. I hate that! President Obama would say that he understands everyone cares about our country and we are trying to find the best solutions. He would say we need to pool our ideas and join together to make them happen. That is why I volunteer for this President every single day.

• 62 Sue in Minnesota
      June 27, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Yeah, they are the my way or the highway club. Which defies all of our foundational principles as a country. It is so stunning to me that so many people go through this life with such a limited and narrowly delineated perspective.

When you think of the limitlessness of possibility…..that they accept and settle for such a narrow concept of what is right, once again I’m stunned. They are controlled and diminshed by their own fearful approach to life. They live very small lives, which is their choice to make, yet they insist on attempting to demand the rest of us follow suit.

• 63 theo67
        June 27, 2011 at 7:14 pm

That’s why their (Republican) spouses appear to be non-existent and of the “Stepford” variety – one has to win the “bully-off” and the other has to be a supplicant. It can’t work any other way. Just look at Todd palin, Marcus Bachman, Laura Bush…. it goes on and on.

23. 64 Ladyhawke
    June 27, 2011 at 7:55 pm

The fact that anyone is even mentioning the presidency and Michele Bachmann is horrifying. She’s not qualified for the job she has now. Media Matters delves into some of the bazaar and extreme pronouncements she has made. Reading this list, you just have to shake your head. It’s come to this in America. The Republican Party has imploded. We are going full speed down the rabbit hole.

SERIOUSLY EXTREME: REP. BACHMANN’S JOURNEY TO GOP PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE:

Today, Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN) formally announced that she is seeking the Republican presidential nomination at an event in Iowa. In a field of lackluster candidates, Bachmann is an unabashedly polarizing figure whose statements, agenda, and policy positions are not only often factually inaccurate but are also frequently imbued with extreme, hateful, homophobic and even violent rhetoric. The fact that she is considered a viable representation of the Republican party sends a stark message about the toxicity of the GOP in 2012.

1) Extreme Rhetoric: Warnings Of “Re-Education Camps” And “A Nation Of Slaves”

2) Extreme Policy Positions: 9/11 First Responders And Energy-Saving Light Bulbs

3) Bachmann’s Vision Of Health Care Reform: Death Panels, Abortion Field Trips, And School Sex Clinics

4) Anti-Obama: Bachmann Called The President “Anti-American” And Toed The Birther Line

5) Anti-Gay: Bachmann Invoked “Satan,” “Bondage” And “Personal Enslavement” In Attacks On Gay People

6) Anti-Feminist: Bachmann Believes Wives Must Be “Submissive”

7) Praise For Glenn Beck And Fox News

24. 65 busbus
    June 27, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Sue in Minnesota, I agree with you wholeheartedly, “I know way to much about Palin for my own sense of comfort, but this is no place to spill that sewage.” Nothing that this woman has said or done surprised me from day one!

When it was alluded that she was John McCain’s pick as a running-mate, I did my research on her. I did not like what I discovered about her or her husband. Anyway, the results of my research is for another time and place. Just wanted you to know that I agree with you.

Take care.

• 66 Sue in Minnesota
      June 27, 2011 at 9:52 pm

busbus, like me you are probably awaiting for her day of reckoning, I’ld like to see justice served to the letter of the law. She presents me with an inner turmoil as I actively struggle not to hate her. I applaud the efforts of those who are working to expose the fraud that she is, it’s a dirty job, and they confront much resistance. If they succeed Sarah Palin will not be the only one exposed, a very, very tangled web.

Namaste

• June 27, 2011 at 9:53 pm

I feel you busbus. Yet, USA Today had a page devoted to Bristol Palin and her memoir.

25. 68 Walking on Sunshine
    June 27, 2011 at 11:54 pm

Oh God. It makes me feel nauseous to think that Minnesotans are voting for this woman.

26. 70 Mariele K.
    June 28, 2011 at 9:32 am

You know, after years of fighting for equality, pursuing our independence and education, women like Sarah Palin and Michelle Bachman really set up back. To have the word “president” and their names together is a disgrace to the office and to our country.

@POTUS