Aug

respects

President Barack Obama, in the process of saluting, participates in a ceremony at Dover Air Force Base, Aug. 9, for the transfer of U.S. and Afghan personnel who died in Afghanistan on Aug. 6. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

President Barack Obama is greeted by Col. Mark Camerer, the 436th Airlift Wing Commander upon his arrival at Dover Air Force Base

Washington Post: President Obama traveled to Dover Air Force Base on Tuesday to pay his respects to the 30 U.S. troops who were killed Saturday when their Chinook helicopter was shot down in Afghanistan.

…. Obama was driven to a building on the base where about 250 family members and fellow servicemen and women of the fallen had gathered. He spent approximately 70 minutes in a large community room called The Landings, meeting informally with family members, offering his condolences for their loss and his gratitude for their sacrifice and service.

Other visitors in the room with family members included Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta; Admiral Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff; and Admiral William McRaven, head of U.S. Special Operations Command..

…. After Obama met with the families, he and other members of the official party lined up on a red carpet to watch the cases containing he remains removed from the planes in a transfer ceremony, according to a Whiter House official accompanying the president. They saluted as the cases passed, carried by members of various military service branches….

President Obama is seen inside Marine One helicopter during his arrival on the South Lawn of the White House after visiting Dover Air Force Base to pay tribute to the 30 U.S. troops killed over the weekend in Afghanistan.

109 Responses to “respects”

1. 7 cathy2va
    August 9, 2011 at 2:19 pm

He cares so much! Love our President.

• August 9, 2011 at 2:20 pm

so true. deepest regards to the families and PBO.

• 9 HZ
        August 9, 2011 at 3:38 pm

My heart is full today. He has each of our prayers and thoughts tucked away in his heart to share with each family that is there. Thank you, Mr. President for serving the brave military who served you and our nation and the world so beautifully with the ultimate sacrifice. Our hearts are heavy with yours, Mr. President.

2. 10 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    August 9, 2011 at 2:20 pm

JUST GOT BACK…AND HEARD ABOUT PBO’S DOVER VISIT! THAT’S OUR AMAZING PRESIDENT…HE WON’T FORGET THOSE WHO HAVE SACRIFICED FOR OUR COUNTRY! MY PRAYERS GO OUT TO ALL OF THE FAMILIES WHO HAVE LOST THEIR LOVED ONES!

August 9, 2011 at 2:22 pm

My heart and prayers go out to all the brave service members and their families.We owe all of them such a huge debt of gratitude for doing the selfless, dangerous work they do everyday.I pray for the quick end to this war. I stand with my President,doing the hard work, and enduring the suffering of a nation that is on his shoulders. Give him the strength and guidance he needs during these trying times.

4. August 9, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I read that the helicopter and crew were victims of a Taliban “trap.” Anyone know more about this?

Also, the London riots are very worrying. I sincerely hope the tea partiers and their Koch wannabees enablers don’t get the idea that starting some nice riots would be a good idea to shake up the government even more.

Heavens, who would want to lead a country under such conditions, — a loss of thirty-some top military members in one blow. Riots spreading across England. Remember Watts? An African American neighborhood, turned into rubble by their own people.

• 15 sam uk obama supporter
      August 9, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Those riots in London are worrying, the ones in Enfield are right where I used to live with my ex partner who still lives there. We are still friends and he was very scared over the weekend. (He is one tough guy and very little frightens him). I did suggest he come stay with us here but he couldn’t due to work committments, I am not ashamed to admit that I am a wreck worrying about his safety but things seem quieter there right now. I feel like I am going crazy with the riots here and the problems our wonderful President is having to deal with. I think I need to chill and restorte some positive thoughts. Sorry for such a negative post, I am not losing heart in the fight for President Obama, just having a crap day I am and always will be 100% behind him and 100% with you guys in the run up to 2012 and beyond.

• 16 Olivia
        August 9, 2011 at 3:00 pm

We’ll be thinking of you, your partner and the rest of London. Stay safe and keep the faith 🙂

• 17 Olivia
          August 9, 2011 at 3:00 pm

I meant “ex-partner.” Sorry 🙂

• 19 sam uk obama supporter
          August 9, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Thank you Olivia. That means a lot to me. My family and I are far enough away not to be directly affected by the riots but my ex is right there in the middle of it. I’m sure he will be fine though. My thoughts and prayers are with all who are affected by this senseless violence.

I remember the riots of 1981 and hoped we would never see anything like it again in my lifetime.

• 20 utaustinliberal
            August 9, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Hang in there Sam. Praying for you and your loved ones safety and peace.

• August 9, 2011 at 3:29 pm

please stay safe, Sam. Hope your ex is okay too.

• 22 sam uk obama supporter
              August 9, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. Just heard from my ex he is fine. He’s gonna stay with a friend for a while farther away from the rioting but near enough to his work. What a relief!!

I am fine and I appreciate your comments. Love you all.

August 9, 2011 at 3:20 pm

With you,too.Stay safe.

• 24 HZ
          August 9, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Sam, we understand. You are not being negative in your post. You are sharing your feelings during a very difficult time in London for your ex-partner , friends, and loved ones. That is what a family does in times like these. “Out of many are one.” We are a great family who listens, cry, give big hugs, hold each other’s hand, and wipe away tears of pain, hurt, and sorrow. We care about you. So we know you have not waivered in your support of President Obama, but he would want us to look after our sisters and our brothers. We are each other’s keepers. So try to relax as much as possible. I just had a bout of pain hit my body a few minutes ago(I have not had it like this since the procedure in surgery) however, I know that I took on a lot this morning by internalizing it deeply. The loss, the pressure of our strong President, praying that Chipsticks is wrapped in our love and strength keeping this site moving forward, and thinking of many within our family who are struggling with different issues, it is a lot when one really cares, and we are that type of family here who does just that. So if you can take something refreshing to feed your body, and think of a few things about your friends, family, and ex -partner is makes you smile. My brother does that with me when he calls, and I am down or not feeling well. And he is on another coast. But I take the gems that he shares with me and try to focus, and it does help. I do not try to tell anyone that what may work for me will work for them,, but I just try to give part of my heart to help ease the hurt and pain as much as possible. Okay. I love you back very much, HZ

• 25 sam uk obama supporter
            August 9, 2011 at 4:46 pm

HZ you are so kind and thoughtful, I appreciate your words immensely. Please take care of yourself too you are such an inspiration to us all here. I am so sorry that you are suffering pain please know that you are very much in my thoughts and prayers. I wish there was something I could do to take away your pain and suffering but please know that I send my love and healing thoughts to you. Love you loads, and I love all my TOD family, you are so much appreciated. Hugs!!

• 26 HZ
              August 9, 2011 at 7:33 pm

Oh Sam uk obama supporter. Those are kind words and I receive them with the spirit that they were sent. Lots of care and love. I am so grateful that you heard from your ex-partner and everything is fine. I will continue to pray and send great energy filled with love and hugs to you. It is difficult when we do not know the outcome of a situation, however, I want you to lean on us, your TOD family. We must stand together when even one is hurting, and that is what I do not mind doing. Now, take some wonderful time to respect your emotions and allow them to go where they need to in order for you to find some peacefulness about what is hapening in London. Know that I will continue to lit my candles, pray, surround you with my lovely music while I ask for the healing balm of comfort to take charge and watch over you and your friends. It will calm down soon, I pray. Sending you a huge vase of strong stem Sonia roses(my favorite color rose) mixed with tender hands of grace. So be gentle with your thoughts and invite the goodness into your heart. Lots of love to you, Sam. Love you back very much also, HZ

• August 9, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Sam, we are so immersed in our own troubles here in the US but I don’t want you to think that we are not aware of and watching closely what is happening in London. And as one of our own cherished community members here, I want to extend my best wishes and hopes for calm and safety to you and your friends and family. Please stay in touch about what is happening to you and to them. And let us know if there is anything we can do. XOXO.

• 28 sam uk obama supporter
                August 10, 2011 at 6:48 am

Thank you Meta. Last night was quieter in London but local to us there was some trouble with three buildings being set on fire. One was a 12th century inn where we all used to go out for meals (back in the days before our beautiful son was born). It is heartbreaking to see this beautiful building in ruins but at least no one was injured and that, at the end of the day is the most important thing. My thoughts are with the owners of the inn who have lost everything.

Rioting has spread to Liverpool (but not close to where my aunt and uncle live so they are ok), Manchester and other cities. I am so lucky and blessed that none of my friends have been affected but I am devastated for all those who have been injured or have lost their homes and businesses. I hope and pray it will all be over soon.

I just want to thank you all for your amazing support it is so touching to know that you care especially in the midst of all the craziness that is happening in the US. Please know that I am with you all 100% and I am honored to be a part of such a caring community here and to be supporting your incredible President. Love you all loads and THANK YOU!!

• August 9, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Sam, I’m saying a prayer for you, your ex, and the people there in London.

• 32 sjterrid
        August 9, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Sam my thoughts and prayers are with you, your ex, and the rest of London while you are going through this rough time.

• 33 sam uk obama supporter
          August 9, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Thank you sjterrid. It is much appreciated. You guys are all so kind and thoughtful.

• 34 globalcitizenlinda
        August 9, 2011 at 8:43 pm

thinking of you, you friend and the rest of the people in Britain!! Hope things calm down and people present their grievances without resorting to violence and destruction. Keep our brothers and sisters across the pond in the creator’s hands. peace and renewal to you all

• August 9, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Here is the intro on the story on Google —

US helicopter crashed in Taliban trap: Afghan official

By Sabawoon Amarkhail (AFP) – 1 day ago

PULI ALAM, Afghanistan — The Taliban lured US forces into an elaborate trap to shoot down their helicopter, killing 30 American troops in the deadliest such incident of the war, an Afghan official said Monday.

5. 37 sam uk obama supporter
    August 9, 2011 at 2:27 pm

My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of those brave and selfless heroes who were tragically lost this weekend, may they find some comfort during their time of grieving.

President Obama yet again displays the beauty in his soul and the empathy in his heart. What a great man he is. Thank you for this place of beauty Chipsticks I really appreciate it.

• 38 Olivia
      August 9, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Thanks for your support, Sam! Are you in or near London? The reports that we’re getting here show that things are pretty bad over there. I hope for everyone’s sake the riots end quickly…

• 39 sam uk obama supporter
        August 9, 2011 at 3:09 pm

I am 30 miles from London but used to live and work in Enfield where some of the rioting is. My ex partner is there still.
        Thank you for your kind thoughts it is very concerning but I am sure that they will be over soon although they are spreading to other cities, Liverpool where my family live and Birmingham.

• 40 Sue in Minnesota
      August 9, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Be safe, I hope that you can find a sense of calm within despite the turmoil surrounding you. Will keep you in my thoughts, surrounding those thoughts with light and peace.

6. August 9, 2011 at 2:29 pm

We have a Commander in Chief who stands with His men through thick and thin and the families too.The words are always backed with true action not hiding behind his job. The President says with action you not just a number in my Command you are somebody that I care about. GOD Bless Him For being the person He is.

7. August 9, 2011 at 2:30 pm

I wonder if he’s just handed the Col. a challenge coin.

8. 47 Titti
    August 9, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Thoughts and prayers go out to the families and hope these heroes RIP. Blessings and prayers for PBO as well at this difficult time.

9. August 9, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Prayers for the families left behind. May they have peace and solace.

10. August 9, 2011 at 3:01 pm

While others critique, criticize, and complain, the President just keeps working to make things better.

President Obama Announces First Ever Fuel Economy Standards for Commercial Vehicles

Included a video of President Obama talking about transmissions for busses and trucks that are made in America.

Ya gotta love this guy, he just never quits.

11. August 9, 2011 at 3:06 pm

A sad, sad day.

As an aside, when someone says: “I have the President’s back”, I always have the mental picture so adequately expressed by the last photograph.

12. 52 Sheila R.
    August 9, 2011 at 3:07 pm

And there’s no smirk on his face a la George W. Bush. Despite the political bickering, this is a president who cares deeply about people.

13. August 9, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Thank you for the video, Chips.

14. 54 GGail
    August 9, 2011 at 3:19 pm

God, please give our CIC the strength to carry on during this most bereaved time in our Nation. And God, please give peace and comfort to the families and friends of our fallen as you gently carry their loved ones up to sit at your feet and be blessed. Amen.

August 9, 2011 at 3:30 pm

May God grant the faithfully departed eternal rest and peace. May he also provide warmth, peace, and comfort to the families who have suffered this unthinkable loss. May he grant President Obama the strength, wisdom, and fortitude to support the families in their time of need. Amen.

16. 56 ber6964
    August 9, 2011 at 3:32 pm

I love the President respect for the Armed Forces.
    My heart and sympathies go out to the families of the fallen.

17. 57 Debz
    August 9, 2011 at 3:40 pm

This is so sad. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families.

18. August 9, 2011 at 4:03 pm

My heartfelt prayers goes out to the familes who lost their loved ones. May the good Lord be with them all.

19. 60 sjterrid
    August 9, 2011 at 4:07 pm

My thoughts and prayers go out to the families who lost their loved ones, and may their souls rest in peace.

20. 61 Sue
    August 9, 2011 at 4:10 pm

So Brave. Tears! RIP to our fallen heroes!

21. 62 HZ
    August 9, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Thanks so much for this, Chipsticks. HZ

22. 63 sjterrid
    August 9, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Does anyone know if their is a site where we can light a candle? I know that Jackie had previously linked to a site where we could light a candle for President Obama, but I wanted to light a candle for those that lost their lives serving our country.

Thank you.

23. 68 dotster
    August 9, 2011 at 4:55 pm

This indeed is so sad. And now with their faces being shown, all look to be these sharp young guys, the bravest of the brave. So tragic.

24. August 9, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Thanks Jackie for posting the site. I have gone there almost daily since our President was elected but especially when Congress is in session. A site for all of our Armed Forces would be nice. We just need to have a name for it to ease our way to find it. Dear Lord you have taken our fallen soldiers into Your loving care. Please surround the families with love and comforters here on earth to support them. Bless our loving President to continue to stand strong through these worrysome times.My husband died of Agent Orange from Vietnam. The worry that goes through one’s mind is great when we know they are in harm’s way, he being in Vietnam. I had two small children ( aged 1 and 3) at the time and can relate to the fear that you live with hoping they are kept safe. Sending warm energies out to the families and our great President and all the kind and compassinate friends here at TOD.Thanks for this site Chips.

• 70 HZ
      August 9, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Barb, thanks so much for that moving and thoughtful prayer. Also sharing is very moving. Yes, great thoughts and prayers sent out for these beautiful families who shared their loved one with us is most fitting. May God grant peace to all of the families. This site give all of us such a beautiful way to come together with the same focus on situation that are within our control and those that are out of our control. Grace, Grace, and more Grace. Thanks so much Chipsticks.

• August 9, 2011 at 7:44 pm

We can create a group initial for the fallen, but under the PBO group we light a candle for anyone or anything, such as the voters in Wisconsin, Gabby Giffords, etc.

25. 73 collegekay
    August 9, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Sad. I know this weighs heavily on him. I can’t imagine. Prayers to those lost.

26. 74 Mae who love our CIC
    August 9, 2011 at 7:21 pm

My Condolences to the families of our fallen warriors. May they rest in peace. May God comfort the families and give them his abundant peace. May the families cherish the memories of their loved ones, because in their darkness the love for them will sustain them. Cast your cares on the Comforter, he will take care of you. May God continue to bless our President because he is probably feeling as though he has lost his family members. He has a special love for the Armed Forces, because he realizes the tremendous sacrifice they make for the entire world. We maintain our freedom because of our great Armed Forces. My salute to them.

27. 75 collegekay
    August 9, 2011 at 7:22 pm

PBO’s midwest bus tour info

For Immediate Release
    On August 15-17, President Obama will travel to the Midwest on a three-day economic bus tour, making stops in southern Minnesota, northeastern Iowa and western Illinois. The President will discuss ways to grow the economy, strengthen the middle class and accelerate hiring in communities and towns across the nation and hear directly from Americans, including local families and small business owners. The President knows we must do everything we can to promote economic growth, restore confidence in our nation’s future and restore the sense of optimism for future generations.

• August 9, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Oh boy, I wish he was coming my way. I would be right there with my welcome President Obama sign.

• 77 dotster
      August 9, 2011 at 7:53 pm

I read that one of the stops was Peosta, Iowa. I grew up in Iowa, and thought I’d heard of most of the small towns there, but Peosta was never on my radar. I mean I grew up near Manly and Fertile (actual wedding announcement proclaimed “Manly man marries Fertile woman”) but Peosta toddled along for all those years without recognition—-until now!
      I agree with this task—–directly to the people—-without media interference.

• 78 sjterrid
        August 9, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Thanks you Dotster, your comment about the names of the towns Manly and Fertile in Iowa and the wedding announcement made me crack up.

• August 9, 2011 at 7:59 pm

I hope many folks in those regions get a chance to see and hear the man. It will change your perspective on everything.

28. 80 GGail
    August 9, 2011 at 7:35 pm

I have a heavy heart and I’m not even there. I can just feel how heavy President Obama’s heart must feel today. Please God grant him strength.

• 81 HZ
      August 9, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Amen, GGail. What a President to have at this time. This is another reason we give thanks for Chipsticks and this beautiful haven. We can come here and discuss issues, policies, reporting updates on issues, share our familiy needs, and pray, meditate, read, listen to our music, lit candles, and still be on task of planning on how we can best serve this President in carrying out his agenda, and working on his re-election. Thanks TOD Family and our wonderful and gracious founder, Chipsticks.

29. 82 carolyn
    August 9, 2011 at 7:48 pm

He always does the right thing, and it’s from his heart.
    On a lighter note…in that video I saw how THICK the doors of his car are! That made me feel very good!!! The angle was just right to see that.

• 83 HZ
      August 9, 2011 at 7:53 pm

I saw that also Carolyn, and I came away with similar thoughts of gratefulness. He has a lot on his plate and on his mind. That is why we are to be even stronger and ready to go. We thank Almighty God for this great gift you have given us in this President.

30. August 9, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Pete Souza’s just released photo from today:

31. August 9, 2011 at 8:26 pm

President Obama has such a big heart. God Bless him.

And my deepest condolences to the family and friends of those soldiers who died.

May God bring comfort to them in this most sorrowful time.

32. 92 Anonymous
    August 9, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Of the multitude of reasons I adore and respect this man, his comportment re: our troops is high on the list.

33. 93 globalcitizenlinda
    August 9, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Deepest condolences and immense gratitude to the families of the fallen. may the departed be welcomed in the next life with special recognition.

thank you President Obama for directing our national attention where it should be – that is with the fallen members of the millitary rather than the failing numbers of wallstreet. we honor the great sacrifice of thse young men we lost in that fatal crash

34. August 9, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Twitter is getting on my nerves with this limit. Just when I need to communicate twitter says I am over my limit.
    That is annoying.

August 9, 2011 at 9:30 pm

The new pictures just show how heavily this weighs on his mind. Everytime I think of how young a lot of the military members who passed away were; it just breaks my heart. I sincerely hope and pray that God provides some measure of comfort for the families left behind and I hope they were in a small way comforted and reassured by the President’s visit and his paying of respects. I also hope he provides some peace and continued fortitude to President Obama. Amen.

36. 96 globalcitizenlinda
    August 9, 2011 at 9:44 pm

anyone else feeling as nervous as I am about the Wiscosin vote results???

stupid thing I have done is turn on MSNBC, then turned to mute because of fear and worst of all, I turned MY BACK AGAINST THE TV SCREEN!!!!! anyone ever heard of such craziness and cowadly behavior???

• August 9, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Just tells me you don’t trust your teevee box. Makes sense to me.

• 98 Tally
      August 9, 2011 at 9:52 pm

YES. This is really making me crazy.

I don’t trust the GOP to not lie, cheat, steal, and HACK their way through this, which is just a dress rehearsal for them for 2012.

WHEN THE FUCK ARE WE GOING TO OUTLAW E-VOTING???

37. August 9, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Heart felt condolences to the family of the brave American patriots. May they find peace and comfort during this time of great loss. And may the souls of the fallen rest in eternal peace.

38. 101 Elaine
    August 9, 2011 at 9:57 pm

Does anyone know where Joe Clancey is (the presidents head secret service guy) I have not seen him lately.

• August 9, 2011 at 9:59 pm

been wondering that same thing. hope he didn’t retire. I really like him.

• 103 globalcitizenlinda
      August 9, 2011 at 10:16 pm

I thought I saw him in Chicago last week at the fundraiser. it is possible some are taking breaks and retraining because from the vidoe, many of the faces of the Secret Service Detail today in DE are not the regular ones that accompany President Obama

39. 105 Doris
    August 9, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Latest Poll Results in Wisconsin

Refresh periodically to get updates.

40. 106 Doris
    August 9, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Here are the latest poll results in Wisconsin

Refresh periodically to get updates.

41. 109 Olivia
    August 9, 2011 at 11:29 pm

Que Dios los bendiga (May God bless them.) The troops and the President.

@POTUS