Aug

‘an unprecedented diss’

House Speaker John Boehner says he wants President Obama to talk to Congress not Wednesday evening next week, but on Thursday.

Boehner wrote the President a letter this afternoon, giving this explanation:

“As your spokesperson today said, there are considerations about the Congressional calendar that must be made prior to scheduling such an extraordinary event. As you know, the House of Representatives and Senate are each required to adopt a Concurrent Resolution to allow for a Joint Session of Congress to receive the President. And as the Majority Leader announced more than a month ago, the House will not be in session until Wednesday, September 7, with votes at 6:30 that evening. With the significant amount of time – typically more than three hours – that is required to allow for a security sweep of the House Chamber before receiving a President, it is my recommendation that your address be held on the following evening, when we can ensure there will be no parliamentary or logistical impediments that might detract from your remarks. As such, on behalf of the bipartisan leadership and membership of both the House and Senate, I respectfully invite you to address a Joint Session of Congress on Thursday, September 8, 2011 in the House Chamber, at a time that works best for your schedule.”

Steve Benen: ….. This only helps capture the larger farce: the parties are so far apart, they can’t even agree on when to schedule a speech. It’s not exactly a good sign.

I haven’t the foggiest idea what happens next, and/or whether Boehner is just trying to throw his weight around a bit. Will the White House say, “Thanks for the recommendation, but we want Wednesday”? And then what?

And if Obama accepts Thursday, will Boehner change his mind again and say, “You know what? Let’s make it Friday”?

For that matter, has there ever been an instance in which a president requested a joint session and the Speaker of the House replied, “Pick a different day”?

More here

TPM: For the first time in history, a U.S. House Speaker has publicly rebuffed – or at least moved to rebuff – a request from the President of the United States to address a joint session of Congress.

The unexpected request, and unprecedented diss, have touched off a round of public partisan sniping….

The White House confirms to TPM that it gave Congressional leadership the heads up before announcing its request publicly and no objections were raised at the time. Republicans say they never signed off, and were never asked to sign off.

….The offices of both Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi confirm that Boehner did not ask them to sign off on the delay.

“The childish behavior coming out of the Speaker’s office today is truly historic,” said another senior Dem aide. “It is unprecedented to reject the date that a President wants to address a Joint Session of the Congress. People die and state funerals are held with less fuss, so the logistics excuse by the Speaker’s office is laughable. Yes, consultation always occurs, but the President always gets the date he wants.”

204 Responses to “‘an unprecedented diss’”

1. 1 collegekay
    August 31, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Unacceptable.

2. 2 overseasgranny
    August 31, 2011 at 4:59 pm

How silly. The House is in session cause Boner won’t adjourn it, and the SS can sweep the building all by its big grown-up self.
    I have to share this picture of Perry, the man who would be president:

• 3 JoJothecat
      August 31, 2011 at 7:18 pm

How juvenile…..I can’t believe people would want to go back to a “cowboy” president. The rest of the free and developming world would give up on us. We can’t be that stoopid.

• 4 msmaggie
      August 31, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Is he the broke back mountain looking one on the left?…..too funny!!!

3. 6 PoliticalJunkessa
    August 31, 2011 at 5:02 pm

I just knew he was gonna pull some sh*t. This isn’t a negotiation, and everything that needs to get done can get done in a week. This chump will do anything — no matter how petty — to not give PBO his due. Shut up, Orangina and get with the program. He’s haggling like he’s trying to get a deal from a street vendor. Bastid!

4. August 31, 2011 at 5:05 pm

suck it up, Orange Julius

August 31, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Fuck him. He’s an idiot. Thursday is NFL kick-off and Boehner knows this. How dare he tell the President of the United States such nonsense? He’s been listening to Limbaugh and that’s partly why he’s doing this. I hope President Obama lets the American people know that he wants to talk about measures that will provide jobs and grow the economy and Boehner is blocking that measure. The shit is about to hit the fan.

• 9 Puddin'
      August 31, 2011 at 7:19 pm

They seem to think we are still back in time when the Black Man had to say, “yes sir…no sir” !!

6. August 31, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Boehner/Cantor could call back Congress a day early. Also NBC has their big NFL Kick-off show and the first game of the season – this is why Boehner wants it moved to Thursday.

The President should just refuse, and hold an address somewhere else – in front of the American people on Wednesday, and invite Congress to sit in a cordoned off reserved section.

August 31, 2011 at 5:12 pm

And the most disgusting thing is that Mark Knoller is busy defending Boehner’s decision, claiming that “Thursday works better for me too”
    and that the legislative and executive branch are co-equal branches of gov’t therefore the President has to work around congress’ schedule.
    Tell Knoller & Boehner that I said go to hell!

• 12 Sue in Minnesota
      August 31, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Tell Knoller this isn’t about him, or about Boehner’s conveniences, or the Republicans for that matter. Self indulgent, narcissistic egos on full display…..it will be hard to run away from that truth.

Hey Mark in what world would the President worry about what works best for you?

• 13 Sue in Minnesota
        August 31, 2011 at 5:36 pm

I’m writing CBS….Knoller’s remarks are totally unprofessional and bull shit.

August 31, 2011 at 5:55 pm

He got a lot of pushback on Twitter….people weren’t having it!

• 15 Sue in Minnesota
            August 31, 2011 at 6:49 pm

I wrote evening@cbsnews,com and called their NYC ctc and left a very unflattering message. Called Boehners office twice, quoted Rush Limbaugh, and then Sam Stein @ huff’n puff. I said since this was unprecendented I would feel free to draw my own conclusions. I also stated that there simply was no reasonable argument to support his illogical request.

An e-mail from my neice who works in the women’s athlete program at Harvard brought me back down to earth, they weathered Irene and everything is fine. Helped to dissipate my anger…….but not entirely. I hope our President lets them own this from top to bottom…and I sure as hell hope Americans are paying attention. Anyone around me will be hearing about it, that’s for damn sure.

August 31, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Thanks Sue for all you’ve done, and glad to hear that your niece is well. I will be calling Beohner’s office tomorrow. I got a voicemail when I called this evening that his office was closed for the day. But I’ve been on Twitter hitting Mark Knoller as well.

• 17 Sue in Minnesota
                August 31, 2011 at 7:27 pm

I’ll call again tomorrow….maybe I’ll just go through the list and call every Rep in the House. I can not calm completely down……

Thanks for your concern about my neice…all is good there ….and yet not for so many. And these ruthless bastards could give a flying F!

• 18 prettyfoot58
      August 31, 2011 at 6:23 pm

WHERE ARE THE DEMOCRATS…..THEY CANNOT ALLOW THIS TO STAND…..WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE FROM THE CBC….WHERE IS THE OUT RAGE FROM THE SO-CALLED PROGRESSIVES AND POLITICAL LEFT…

I AM SOOOOOOOOOOO SICK OF THIS RACIST BULLSHIT…..WHEN THEY SLAP THE PRESIIDENT….THEY SLAP ME….

I HOPE THE PRESIDENT HOLDS HIS SPEECH IN THE CONGRESS CHAMBERS….WHETHER THE HOUSE REPUBLICANS ARE THERE OR NOT….

THE SENATE WILL BE THERE…AND THE HOUSE DEMOCRATS WILL BE THERE…..LET THE AMERICAN PEOPLE SEE WHAT THEIR VOTE HAS DONE….

IT TIME TO END THIS MADNESS,,,,

• 19 mb32
      August 31, 2011 at 6:48 pm

I had to unfollow that fool today…can’t take his RW BS anymore…I’m following his colleague Peter now. Informative without the RW snark

8. August 31, 2011 at 5:13 pm

this is ridiculous!!!!! Bonehead is an asshat!!!

• August 31, 2011 at 5:43 pm

PBO should go ahead with his speech even if it has to be from the Oval office, and send each and every person in congress a copy of the transcript and make it known the next day. I really, really hope he doesn’t postpone the speech.

• 22 prettyfoot58
        August 31, 2011 at 6:25 pm

NOOOOOOOOO….

GIVE THE SPEECH FROM THE CONGRESS CHAMBERS….

IF THE HOUSE REPUBLICANS DON’T WANT TO BE THERE….SO BE IT….

LET THE AMERICAN PEOPLE SEE WHAT THEIR VOTE HAVE BOUGHT THEM

• 23 Keith in C-bus, Ohio
          August 31, 2011 at 6:37 pm

That is what I was thinking. Hold the Joint Session anyways on Wednsday. The empty seats will send a serious message to the American people.

• August 31, 2011 at 6:39 pm

i think i heard Randi say that in order for him to speak in front of the joint houses of congress, he MUST be invited by Boner or they have to come to an agreement for him to speak there. Either way, PBO needs Bonehead’s yes first. But i think it would be fantastic optics if PBO addressed a joint session with only dems in attendance. Just to make it clear enough, all the dems of both houses should sit on one side so that the camera can pick up all the empty seats on the other half of the room. Then that image will drive home to the American people just how much the repugs care about them and jobs. Such assholes. 😡

9. 25 bonkers
    August 31, 2011 at 5:15 pm

All work and no play makes The Ohian Tropic a dullard boy.

10. 26 Me4obama
    August 31, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Somebody need to calm me down because am about to be banned on Twitter. This Orange Man, will back down or else PBO will address the country anywhere else and still be carried LIVE on Tele. Forget you Boner head.

• 27 gcwp1
      August 31, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Please try to calm down Me4 – we need you on Twitter. BREATHE!!!! Obama will just pity the fools and deal.

• 28 HZ
        August 31, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Please Me4obama. Please relax. I was where you are now, remember this morning. I got up dressed and got in my freking sporty and put on my cap and raced that car down the avenue because I was so angry. When I stopped at the lights, I dared anyone to look at me. These fools will try to drive us crazy, but we will support each other when we need to give a word. I shopped for my special diets , and had fun. Spent money, but I was suppose to. I also decided to pick up some organic arugula, goat cheese, and I made a ‘President Obama Salad’ and sat my beautiful self down and ate it with fresh organic beets, and sweet candied pecans and tofu. Topped it off with a hot cup of fresh ground fennel seeds tea and drops of peppermint. The hell with thse fools. We will continue to do what we must do to get through this crap. So take treat yourself and try to relax. All I needed was “Hail To The Chief.” I will get that also and have it on hand. These suckers will not get us down. They all can go to hell.

• 29 PoliticalJunkessa
          August 31, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Go ahead with your bad self and your PBO Salad, HZ….I love it! 😀 😀 😀

• 30 mtmarilyn
          August 31, 2011 at 6:15 pm

OMG HZ. I am at the grocery store. Just thought I would check. I am going to a salad for dinner too. I will toast you when my husband and I @at our Obama salad. And to all of us and the President. The fight is on!

• 31 EDP4BHO
          August 31, 2011 at 7:23 pm

I’m coming to your house for dinner, HZ. Sounds so healthy 😀

• 32 Brian
      August 31, 2011 at 6:19 pm

My friends know that I need a humor fix when I feel that way. This morning a friend sent an email with the subject BILL CLINTON SUDDENLY DECIDES TO ENDORSE BACHMANN. I thought my head would explode. When I clicked on the link, it was the infamous photo of Michelle devouring a corn dog at the Iowa fair. 😉 Got me through the day…

August 31, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Apparently, the date/time of the session was privately cleared by the WH with the GOP before the notice went public. So it seems that Boehner changed his mind after receiving orders from Master Rush Limbaugh….

Hmmmm…..clearly, it’s all poltiical game-playing by the GOP.

• 35 P
      August 31, 2011 at 5:35 pm

He’s clearly playing games and is trying to disrespect PBO in a technical manner but we are not fools, we know the truth. Flicking man drives me up a steep wall everytime I see or hear shit like this!!!!!!

• 36 Sue in Minnesota
      August 31, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Hopefruit2…can you share the source for that? I’ld like to call Boehner’s office again and call out that if it is indeed fact.

12. 41 MsKitty
    August 31, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Boehner wouldn’t have pulled this stunt with a white President. That’s right, I said it.

I’m so pissed right now that I can’t form coherent thoughts.

• August 31, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Oh, MsKitty, I’m furious, too. Call Boehner tomorrow and give his aide an earful. I’m going to. I just heard about this and now I see comments where this was cleared with congress. I wish I could call now, but tomorrow they will hear about it.

• August 31, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Call Boehner at 202-225-6205 and tell him to stop disrespecting this president, to stop all the party over country moves, that you want to hear President Obama speak on Wed., Sept. 7, that the American people are anxious to hear from their president about jobs, and to stop taking his orders from some lying, horrible talk show host.

• 44 prettyfoot58
          August 31, 2011 at 6:28 pm

BUT THE DEMOCRATS NEED TO SPEAK OUT,.,,,WHERE ARE THEY…

• August 31, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Good question, isn’t it? They were parading around all day on msnbc programs to bash Obama. You would think they could be more useful, to put it mildly.

• 46 mb32
            August 31, 2011 at 7:54 pm

I even read a TPM article tweeted by labor reporter Mike Elk where some Senior Dem aide agreed that the WH acted hastily…wtf these ppl never back the Pres. They ask him to fight and then they give this mealy mouth backup? No wonder Dems always on defense…can’t trust the soldiers in our own squad. Dems should be out pushing back on this disrespect-hard!

• 47 prettyfoot58
              August 31, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Let’s Face it….The Dems …i don’t even know what to say about them….i don’t….perhaps they don’t care any more than the repubs do,,,,

• 49 Sue in Minnesota
      August 31, 2011 at 8:23 pm

MsKitty the truth is always welcomed here. And I concur!

13. 50 Debz
    August 31, 2011 at 5:20 pm

If I were the President I would tell Congress to shove it and just give an Oval Office Address.

• 51 askew
      August 31, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Oval office address won’t get as much pressure on Congress and the media will spin it as Boehner is more powerful than the President. He needs to address the Senate alone then. It’s important that this isn’t spun as a win for the GOP.

14. 52 Keith in C-bus, Ohio
    August 31, 2011 at 5:22 pm

I believe it is really time for the President to GET “REAL REAL” with the American Public. These games have got to stop. The Orangeman knows the nation will be transfixed on the NFL kickoff. PBO’s numbers are already low. HE has nothing to lose. It is time for him to let the WORLD know what Boner and company are doing without the VEILED and SUGAR COATED verbage. TIME TO MEET FIRE WIT FIRE!! Mr. President keep the Joint Session on Wednsday sir. Don’t allow them to steel your thunder. You know what you are dealing with. Lets do this!! 😡

• 53 Desraye
      August 31, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Could you please stop telling the president what he needs to do, also could you stop sounding so pessimitic. Ypu are offended some people on here.

• 54 Keith in C-bus, Ohio
        August 31, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Most of the time I am optimistic on this board. I understand what you are saying, but your comment is a little misplaced at this time. We all must stick together.

• 57 prettyfoot58
      August 31, 2011 at 8:13 pm

I AM SOOOOOO ANGRY…I COULD SPIT…….I HAVE TWEETED SOME OF MY REPS TODAY…WILL TWEET MORE TOMORROW…THE DEMOCRATS WHO HAVE BEEN BASHING THE PRESIDENT….WHERE ARE THEY NOW…..

THE SPEAKER IS TELLING THE PRESIDENT TO GO SIT DOWN “BOY” YOU COME WHEN I CALL,,,,,

HOW LOING WILL WE STAND FOR THIS BLATANT RACIST DISREGARD FOR THIS PRESIDENT…..

WE SHOULD ALL BE OUTRAGED.!!!

15. 58 Sue in Minnesota
    August 31, 2011 at 5:22 pm

I called Boehner’s office…I get so pissed making these (R) calls, this one was no exception. Thanks to whomever paraphrased Rush Limbaugh’s comments from Randi Rhodes show…..I read them in my message and said as a matter of public record it wlll illuminate who Boehners puppet master is if he proceeds with his attempts to disrespect the President, and attempts to reschedule the joint session. I said it was long past time for his party to start responding to the needs of all Americans not just those that line their pockets.

Counting down to my head exploding 3…2…1

I don’t think the President should budge, between now and the 7th there is time for everyone to adjust their schedules. It’s their frreaking job. Sure as shit glad these guys aren’t Doctors, or someone you would need to rely on for…..oh…wait America is supposed to be able to rely on them….

And Rush Limbaugh you parasite and failed human being…..take a long walk of a short dock!

• August 31, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Nooooo. He can’t walk on my dock. His slim would contaminate the deck Boner and Flush are both used and discarded condoms that were used in animal husbandry experiments.
      Chin up Sue. The Creator has got this. Let’s just hope that bigots don’t go to the next step.
      Opinions founded on prejudice are always sustained with the greatest of violence.
      Francis Jeffrey (1773 – 1850)

• 60 Sue in Minnesota
        August 31, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Thanks for the chuckle….

You are right, “put my hand in the hand of the man that stilled the waters”

16. 61 PoliticalJunkessa
    August 31, 2011 at 5:25 pm

👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿

17. 62 Debz
    August 31, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Have we heard from Harry “I don’t work for the President” Reid? Maybe the Prez can give his speech to the Senate. Then again, as someone else said, Congress has technically been in session because they don’t want recess appointments, so Boner can just take a vote.

• 63 Desraye
      August 31, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Harry will get behind the president. His state’s unemployment rate is above the national’s unemployment rate.

• 66 prettyfoot58
      August 31, 2011 at 8:15 pm

I THOUGHT THAT CONGRESS WAS IN RECESS…

• 67 Sue in Minnesota
        August 31, 2011 at 8:28 pm

They never went into full recess, to prevent President Obama from making any executive appointments. They are masters of obstruction…someone should teach them how to actually produce something other than delays.

18. 68 P
    August 31, 2011 at 5:32 pm

“As such, on behalf of the bipartisan leadership and membership of both the House and Senate, I respectfully invite you to address a Joint Session of Congress on Thursday, September 8, 2011 in the House Chamber, at a time that works best for your schedule.”
    Why is this focker telling the President what time is best for his schedule? I believe the President is quite aware of his schedule Mr Boner so stop whining and get your Orange ass prepared for the address on Wednesday! Talk done!!!!

19. 69 Fred
    August 31, 2011 at 5:34 pm

again fuck John Boehner

Huffington Post’s Sam Stein reports on Twitter that the White House cleared 9/7 date with Boehner before announcing request for joint session.

20. August 31, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Debate schedule was cleared with the GOP. They are posturing for the media and Rush Limbaugh. The house historian Boehner’s action is unprecendented.

I am so freaking tired with this disrespect supported by the media.

Enough.

21. 76 chiara
    August 31, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Huffington Post is reporting that this move may be unprecedented: “Boehner’s response to Obama’s request may be unprecedented. The Senate Historical Office said it knows of no instance when Congress has refused a president permission to address a Joint Session of Congress”

My disdain for Boehner and all the other arrogant, disrespectful and downright foul republicans actually knows no bounds.

22. August 31, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Guys, get on Twitter. We need to call our Congressional representatives and say that we want the President to address the Joint Session of Congress on Wednesday. Let’s melt down the phone lines.

23. August 31, 2011 at 5:41 pm

We either do that or call the Whitehouse and request that he make a speech from the Oval Office. Trust me, more would watch his speech.

August 31, 2011 at 5:45 pm

The Oval office speeches are not as motivating as a joint session speech. Besides, congress OUGHT to be present while jobs are being discussed. That IS their business, they have a responsibility to govern responsibly and they were elected to pass legislation that would assist in job creation and economic recovery. Congress is not getting a pass on this. Mr. Boehner’s phone, website and fax should be inundated with CALLS from folks demanding that he do the job he was hired to do.

• 84 Sue in Minnesota
        August 31, 2011 at 7:44 pm

I agree …Congress writes the legislation….for nine months the House has been off the hook for it’s lack of productivity. President Obama is always the sacrificial lamb, and mostly unjustifiably. The picture needs to be drawn as sharply and clearly as possible, the Republicans are not doing the work they were elected to do. America needs to be absolutely clear as to why we have not been able to move forward.
        The Oval Office blurs that picture.

24. 86 Fred
    August 31, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Obama Signs Disaster Declaration For NJ
    President Obama has signed a disaster declaration for New Jersey after the state was hit hard over the weekend by Hurricane Irene.

Via the Associated Press.

fuck you you fat fuck!

Gingrich: ‘Nicely Done, John’
    Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich weighed in on current Speaker John Boehner’s call for President Obama to push back his jobs speech a day, tweeting: “From one Speaker to another…nicely done John.”

Condoleezza Rice Rejects Cheney’s ‘Attack’ On Her Integrity (honey “integrity” left your body the second you agreed to work with this bunch and lied for them and with them :roll:)
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said on Wednesday she resented what she viewed as an attack on her integrity by former Vice President Dick Cheney in his just-published memoir.

August 31, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Condi when you lie with dogs, you wake up with flees.

And out of respect for Chips and the rest of TODERS I won’t say what I feel like to Mr. Mankini.

• 88 EDP4BHO
        August 31, 2011 at 7:28 pm

OMG, hopefruit. Those were my exact words I wanted to reply to a blogger on thegriot.com today, but I ran out of time. Someone there wants to give sympathy to this woman, and I object. She knew what the hell she was doing, looking all evil and getting us into that illegal war. I’ll be reading that blog later. Sympathy my ass.

• 89 Sue in Minnesota
      August 31, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Can you tweet the picture of him in his mankini……the (Republicans) are shameless and exposed.

25. 90 Fred
    August 31, 2011 at 5:44 pm

WH To TPM: Boehner Was Consulted Before Date Of Jobs Speech Was Announced

Contradicting reports coming from Boehner aides, the White House confirms to TPM that Speaker Boehner was consulted before the date and time of President Obama’s job speech were announced.

August 31, 2011 at 5:48 pm

I just posted this on twitter and it’s getting retweeted. Come on TOD family. Let’s flood his office with calls.

This is @SpeakerBoehner number 202-225-6205. Let him know WE WANT TO HEAR PRES OBAMA’S SPEECH ON SEPT 7. #StopListeningToLimbaugh #GOPFail

27. 92 Anonymous
    August 31, 2011 at 5:48 pm

I knew he would pull this kind of crap. Trying to look bigger than the President by telling him what to do. It’s Jim Crow all over again, “Use the back door!”

• 93 askew
      August 31, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Yep, that is it exactly. Democrats need to have his back.

• August 31, 2011 at 7:48 pm

The democrats in Congress need to step up and support the President right now. While the term “outrage” is overused what with all the political crap out there, this time it really is outrageous how the speaker has disrespected the President and his office.

28. 95 Janelle
    August 31, 2011 at 5:49 pm

I am so livid and can’t even see straight. Everyone it’s time to jam the phones and call our Dem Congress members that they should be vocal about this—-the disrespect is beyond measure!!! The world is watching this. Rush said for the Repugs to put Obama in his place and Rusty obliged. Blow the Dem and Repub lines folks!!!

29. August 31, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Call Rusty’s office and call your representative if they are GOP. I have a GOP rep, but I’ve called others too and Cantor’s was the only one that asked if I was from his district. I just tell them their decisions affect everyone in the country. And now that they usually have primary opponents, I tell them I may not vote there, but I am contributing to their opponent because of [fill in the blank for the GOP asshat reason I am calling them.]

I just found out about Rusty’s letter and it is too late to call today, but I will absolutely call him tomorrow. Although the letter sounds civil, Rusty wants to change the President’s time from opposing the GOP debate to being at the same time as the first NFL game. I don’t know why President Obama decided to choose that time and I don’t care. I’m calling Rusty tomorrow and giving his aide an earful. And the first thing I am going to tell them is that I am sick and tired of all of the obstruction of the GOP about anything and everything. They can try to make it sound as reasonable as they want to, I don’t care. Just start working with the President and Democrats and stop playing around.

30. August 31, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Guys my head is exploding. we cannot let boener win. Something needs to be done. Mark knoller is unprofessional. You cannot tell the president of the free world this. The world is seeing how this man is being treated by white people with power.

31. 98 Debz
    August 31, 2011 at 5:50 pm

I am so disgusted at the disrespect shown this President. Were the hell is the CBC and Sanders and the PL? Aren’t they outraged by this? Don’t they want the President’s Jobs bill that they have been demanding?

32. August 31, 2011 at 5:52 pm

H-232 The Capitol
    Washington, DC 20515
    Phone: (202) 225-0600
    Fax: (202) 225-5117

33. 100 Doris
    August 31, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Rev. Al is calling out John Boehner. YES!

• August 31, 2011 at 7:17 pm

AND HE’S CALLING OUT THE DEMS ALSO…TALKING TO ONE FROM THE CBC ON HIS SHOW…ASKED WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO UNLEASH ON BOEHNER!!!!! I SAY RIGHT ON REV AL!!!! WHO IS GOING TO STAND UP WITH THE PRESIDENT????

34. 102 PoliticalJunkessa
    August 31, 2011 at 6:03 pm

The only true solution to this: give the gavel back to Nancy in 2012.

35. August 31, 2011 at 6:05 pm

Rep. Elijah Cummings is on Rev. Al is on now speaking about this very issue.HZ

36. 106 chiara
    August 31, 2011 at 6:06 pm

This story is the main on huffington right now and the thread is like a battleground fending off the trolls.

37. 107 Linda
    August 31, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Rev. Al is calling out the Democrats for complaining about the President.

38. August 31, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Tell it like it is Al.

When are democrats going to start doing something other than attacking the president?

39. 109 nintendowii10
    August 31, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Bonehead wants to make it to the bars on time for Happy Hour, and we all know how mean President Obama is being by interrupting his beer time, what a meanie! How inconsiderate of the President to interrupt Rusty’s beer time!

Man fuck that, Rusty needs to go suck eggs!!!!

40. August 31, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Twitter is melting down.

41. August 31, 2011 at 6:08 pm

Hell, Rev. is on fire tonight. He is even singing from Annie, Tomorrow, etc. HZ

42. August 31, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Bill Press is one of the democrats who regularly attacks the president…..and he has helped to stroke the fires of this attack against the president.

• August 31, 2011 at 6:32 pm

You are right about Bill Press. He considers himself a liberal but his actions on his show says a different thing. He was attacking PBO this morning. I am sick of all of these folks, PL and rightwing nuts disrespecting PBO. I am making my calls and won’t stop until I can get through.

43. 115 nintendowii10
    August 31, 2011 at 6:11 pm

🙄 @ this Republican tool on PoliticsNation.

I love how Rev Al is calling him out and not letting him get away with his lies!!!!

August 31, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Yes! I love it. Twitter is going ape shit and people are beginning to flood Boehner’s office line. Keep up the good work folks. This level of disrespect is unprecedented.

45. August 31, 2011 at 6:15 pm

I love Rev. Al’s : eyes, nose, mouth. Love it. HZ

46. 118 Anonymous
    August 31, 2011 at 6:18 pm

We also need to be ready to vote in 2012. We need to come out 2012 and support this President. That is why I am so piss with the CBC and Maxine Waters trying to turn the black vote against the President. We neeed to be coming together to fight against these crazy ass T-Republicans.

• August 31, 2011 at 6:55 pm

I wonder what 14 pieces of silver the repugs/ Kochies are offering CBC and Waters aka Judases in exchange for kissing PBO on the cheek and betraying him? Perhaps destroying evidence of corruption and fraud? Making it so that certain stains don’t come to light? I’m tired of saying that THOSE critters are anything other than nasty, disgusting, vile and corrupt degenerates.
      ps- MSNBFOX advertising for the Repug debates. How vile and contemptible are those asshats?

• 120 57andFemale
        August 31, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Gee, isn’t Maxine tripping over her shoes to get to the camera to defend her President from such unprecedented insult?

Crickets. What jackasses.

47. August 31, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Made my call to the Speaker’s Office. HZ

48. 124 Fred
    August 31, 2011 at 6:31 pm

well ain’t that a bitch!
    does the President need Boehner’s permission to take a leak too?

Spox: Boehner Did Not Sign Off On WH Jobs Speech Date
    From Speaker Boehner’s press secretary Brendan Buck: “No one in the Speaker’s office — not the Speaker, not any staff — signed off on the date the White House announced today. Unfortunately we weren’t even asked if that date worked for the House. Shortly before it arrived this morning, we were simply informed that a letter was coming. It’s unfortunate the White House ignored decades — if not centuries — of the protocol of working out a mutually agreeable date and time before making any public announcement.”

• August 31, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Bonehead is a lying sack of shit cause PBO said so. PBO said they cleared everything before he went public. Bonehead can go fuck himself. fucker.

August 31, 2011 at 7:00 pm

What they are putting out there is total bull! Those media hogs LOVE being on TV with the President, and would never turn him down.

This is unprecedented.

• 127 Sue in Minnesota
      August 31, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Well Republicans lie…they always deny culpability /responsibility….which is why no one should consider them fit for public office.

49. August 31, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Where is Maxine Waters with her big mouth? Where is the CBC? We should be coming together to defend the President, instead of attacking him. We need everyone to come out to vote in 2012. So we can get rid of those crazy ass T-Republicans who have been disrespecting this Black President from day one. And we Blacks are going to jump on the bandwagon and start attacking him too. I will not do that, never. I see all the B.S. this President has had to deal with, and I will not join Maxine Waters and the CBC in attacking him, when we know the real enemy is the T-Republican Party. If any of the blacks who want to blame this President for everything, if they think John Boehner, Cantor, or any of the T-Republicans care about the Black Community, then they are gone crazy. Rush Limbaugh is a racists, he rules those T-Republicans. Waters and the CBC is only helping the T-Republicans.

• August 31, 2011 at 7:01 pm

” Where is Maxine Waters with her big mouth? Where is the CBC?”
      ——- probably in a hovel somewhere counting the 14 pieces of silver their Koch Masters gave ’em to backstab PBO. They can go fuck themselves. They are utter and complete useless piles of __________. 😡

50. 131 Fred
    August 31, 2011 at 6:33 pm

honey please 🙄
    Michele Bachmann: Obama’s Trying To Keep America’s Eyes Off Us With Jobs Speech

51. August 31, 2011 at 6:34 pm

I called My rep Nancy pelosi and Feinstein/Boxer. They say itis up the speaker but there is no precedence that they are aware,

August 31, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Just getting back on the blog. Why don’t we all CALL Boehner’s office TODAY/TONIGHT and shut down his switchboard again.

Anybody have the phone number?

• 136 utaustinliberal

Office of the Speaker
        H-232 The Capitol
        Washington, DC 20515
        Phone: (202) 225-0600
        Fax: (202) 225-5117

August 31, 2011 at 6:57 pm

I did find it and called – also posted the number below. I was so upset I forgot I could do a little research myself! Thanks very much, in any event!

52. 138 Fred
    August 31, 2011 at 6:39 pm

FLASHBACK: 85 Percent Of Current Congressional Republicans Voted For Bush’s 2008 Stimulus

53. 139 Blue
    August 31, 2011 at 6:46 pm

President Obama should take his speech right out side of Congress building, and let it rip! Enough is enough!

August 31, 2011 at 6:47 pm

I wonder where the hell the deomcrat pushback is. Where the hell is the CBC and that loudmouth Maxine Waters, Emanuel Cleaver, and John Conyers. President Obama wants to talk about jobs; the very thing they’ve been yammering about and poof they’re nowhere to be seen. If President Obama was pushing back the date of his jobs speech, they’d be up in arms and all over TV berating him.

August 31, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Exactly. Where is Bernie Sanders?

• August 31, 2011 at 7:08 pm

” Where is Bernie Sanders?”
        —— Off somewhere smoking crack? ……. How else do you explain his dangerous and egregious behavior in the last year?

• August 31, 2011 at 7:36 pm

I DO NOT TRUST SANDERS…TIME FOR HIM ALSO TO SAY GOOD BYE TO THE SENATE…I HAVE NEVER SEEN HIM SMILE ABOUT ANYTHING…ALWAYS SEEMS OLD AND CRANKY…THE DEMS NEED SOME NEW YOUUNG AND FRESH BLOOD TO COMPLIMENT OUR YOUNG PRESIDENT…WILLING TO PUT IN SOME HARD WORK AND NOT THE WHINING AND FINGERS CONSTANTLY BLAMING THE PRESIDENT WHEN THEY REFUSE TO DO THE WORK NEEDED TO MOVE FOWARD. I WOULD LOVE TO SEE SOME IN THE DEM CONGRESS AND SENATE BE PRIMARIED BY SOME STRONG YOUNG POLITICIANS!!!!! AND WIN!!!!!!

August 31, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Guys, if you haven’t already, would you want to take the time to call Speaker-for-One-Session Boehner’s office, to tell him how distressed we all are that he is refusing the President’s request to speak at the House before a joint session of Congress on Sept. 7?

I’m just getting back on the blog, so if this is not the case (if he actually said he could come), then I’m sorry to be late.

Here’s his contact page:

His D.C. phone # is: Phone: (202) 225-0600

Be prepared, if you call. He does a fake phone greeting on his voicemail.

I’m so upset, I’m shaking.

Noticed that StR had suggested PBO find an alternate venue, invite Congress, and put any of them who attend in a cordoned-off area. My only tack-on suggestion would be to get some drug dogs to circle that area, because some of them are smokin’ something.

Truly, my old civil-rights-era mind would say that it’s time for the President to hold his address at the Lincoln Memorial, but I’m hoping this can be resolved.

56. 157 jewelz
    August 31, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Hi, longtime lurker here. I love this site and love reading everyone comments!! President Obama is lucky to have amazing people who care about him and have his back no matter what. Thanks Chipstick for creating a positive and informative site where people who love and appreciate this president can go to.

On this particular subject, I think President Obama should forget Congress altogether. I know, I know the Constitution requires that he works them, but, I think he can start bypassing them to move some, if not most of his domestic policies forward. They’ve done nothing but undermined and tried to destroy his presidency from day 1. I honestly think that President Obama should use his foreign policy approach and model to chart a new domestic policy. He works better when he doesn’t have to deal with the losers in congress. We know all they want to do is to make sure the economy remains stagnant , and that unemployment continues to rise so a republican could win the Presidency. My hope is that he finds a way to continue to help the American people without having to deal with the traitors in congress. I think he can do this by taking away their power and influence and continue to work directly with the American people. I hope President Obama sticks with the original date, and go ahead with the speech anyway. Instead of a joint session with the do nothing congress, he should maybe (if constitutionally possible) invite constituents from each congressional district to fill in for their congressman or congresswoman and speak directly to them and the American people.

• 158 utaustinliberal
      August 31, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Hi jewelz. Welcome to the family and thanks so much for your comments and contributing to the conversation. 🙂

• 159 chiara
      August 31, 2011 at 7:34 pm

It would be nice if he could push things through on his own (I’m pretty sure he would agree) but unfortunately he can’t. Anything requiring funds, taxation, etc, must go through Congress. The House holds the pursestrings and those are things that the President can push forward with say an Executive Order.

Now what he can do is capitalize on their extreme intransigence and extreme plans for the American people and hopefully put pressure on them but to a certain extent his hands are tied. It is ‘we the people’ who have to help him by keeping up the pressure, getting the word out etc, and making sure that Dems take back the House and extend their majority in the Senate so that he really will be able to move things forward.

• August 31, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Hiya jewelz, thank you so much for visiting and commenting – really appreciate it!

“He works better when he doesn’t have to deal with the losers in congress.”

+1,000,000,000

When you think of his foreign policy successes when he was free of those losers …. just imagine what he could achieve at home if they weren’t blocking him at every pass.

It’s just so depressing.

• 161 Sue in Minnesota
      August 31, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Welcome, fortunately you have seen us in brighter spirits. Lots of steam rising here today. It is really nice to hear what you are thinking.

I think I understand what you are saying, that President Obama continue to work directly with the private sector and go directly to the public. That’s a herculean task, and becomes unfairly his burden, and yet that is largely what he has been doing. We need to continue to thwart the misinformation from the MSM in every way we possibly can, we also have to expand our connections and networks to reach more Americans, and of course have to work to reelect both the President and functional and responsible members of Congress.

I think EDP4BHO called it….this is OUR REVOLUTION…I’m in!

• August 31, 2011 at 8:06 pm

I agree with you. Congress is too lazy to do their job cause they have jobs and homes but for unemployed people this is a crisis. So yeah inviting unemployed people to the lincoln center would be swell.

57. August 31, 2011 at 7:11 pm

This is nothing more than a charade. While people like Jonathan Alter claim PBO was outfoxed or chuck Todd saying it is gamesmanship, the fact of the matter it was one more chance for the GOP to publicly disrespect President Obama. Boehner’s office did not reject the idea of the speech. To me it was premeditated.

The folks in the media knows it and have condoned this sort of thing for ever now. Until we actually go up against these people they will continue to do this mess.

• August 31, 2011 at 7:26 pm

We knew boener would say NO. When they are willing for the country to default, a mega economy like this one then anything is possible. I just hope they get destroyed in 2012.

August 31, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Chuck Todd is a disgusting human being. On Hardball he kept straining and stretching to try to make President Obama look bad in all of this. He was arguing with the fill-in host as if he (Chuck) were a GOP congressman. He was certainly not reporting news, he was arguing against President Obama and the WH. Disgusting piece of filth.

• August 31, 2011 at 7:19 pm

how can anyone in the media excuse this total and utter bullcrap? Fuck Chuck Todd. That piece of shit is a repug waterboy.

• 167 utaustinliberal
      August 31, 2011 at 7:20 pm

I saw that. He was disgusting. He kept saying that he had dem sources who were telling him that they were disappointed that President Obama was giving his jobs speech on Sept 7 when people would be watching the GOP debate. That he should respect Boehner’s wishes and move the date. I was so pissed off at his blatant lie. All their sources are bullshit sources. I called him out on twitter and I saw I wasn’t the only one who caught on to his crap. He kept trying to make President Obama seem petty and he pretty much gave Boehner a pass. It was messed up as hell. He was just pissed that more people would be watching PBO’s jobs speech and not the stupid Politico/NBC debate.

• 168 proudmemberofglobalzero
        August 31, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Chuck Todd’s grandmother is 84 years old. She lives in my neighborhood and takes the bus to work at McDonalds to make ends meet. Her name is Dorothy. She is a wonderful woman with shit for a grandson

What is wrong with this picture?

• August 31, 2011 at 7:39 pm

seriously?!!! with all the money that asshole makes selling shit and snake oil to the American public? What a lousy fucker. Lord, bless , guide and protect Chuckzilla’s granny, cause obviously, he won’t.

August 31, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Are you serious?

• 171 EDP4BHO
          August 31, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Hope this gets out on twitter, all you tweeters. Bring his butt down.

August 31, 2011 at 8:19 pm

While it might be tempting, I would leave his grandma out of it. We don’t know anything about the family dynamics so I would just keep on doing what we’ve been doing – which is to confront him on his obvious water-carrying for the GOP, biased reporting and spreading lies against the President.

• August 31, 2011 at 8:30 pm

proudmemberofglobalzero, why isn’t that sorry ass grandson of hers helping her? So she wouldn’t have to work.

• 174 57andFemale
        August 31, 2011 at 8:11 pm

And what, exactly, were the ratings for the last Republican debate? They’re going to have 100 debates before this mess is through.

If Chuck Todd has a Democratic source, he can name that source, the piece of shit.

• 175 Sue in Minnesota
        August 31, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Name your sources Todd.

• August 31, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Conflict of interest, much? GEEZE, our media is so owned.

59. 177 ChristiMtl
    August 31, 2011 at 7:21 pm

This is the media, this is how pathetic and corrupt they are

@David_Gergen David Gergen
    You ask: why shd #Obama move date? Because he is guest in their house. Always spks when they accept. He could go Wed fm Oval.

So they excuse this total disrespect t, they turn my stomach, really.

60. August 31, 2011 at 7:31 pm

From day one it has been about disrespecting this Black President.

61. 185 Blue
    August 31, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Take it out side of the Capital building, with the Democrats standing on the steps behind him, and let it rip! If the Republican wants to play, President Obama can play too.

62. August 31, 2011 at 7:33 pm

We cannot let this die. We need to call the switchboard and leave messages. I am so tired of the games and the disrespect. It has to stop. They need to know that we are watching their every move.

63. August 31, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Enough is Enough…..This blatant disrespect is indeed unprecedented …Please join me to call Boehner and let us collectively, tell him how we feel……., We can no longer sit silent, because if we allow him to push PBO around like is his servant….God knows,,what he will do next. HIS PHONES, EMAILS..AND TWEETER SHOULD BE JAMMED,
    He really needs to apologize to the President… nothing less is unacceptable

Please call

Boehner, John A. R 1011 LHOB 202-225-6205 The Speaker

August 31, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Called, and will keep calling.

• 190 Keith in C-bus, Ohio
      August 31, 2011 at 7:52 pm

I will be calling his office tomorrow. Again the Rethugs are at the beckon call of Limbaugh, Norquist, and the Koch brothers. AMAZING to be totally committed to certain individuals and not the American people. The only way this is going to change is if we SPEAK UP AND OUT!! 😡

64. 191 nintendowii10
    August 31, 2011 at 7:39 pm

And the Teapugs were whining that President Obama had no jobs plan, and now that he wants to announce it they still want to play partisan political shenanigans.

LET THEM HAVE HELL!!!!!

65. August 31, 2011 at 7:45 pm

This is the sign I’m taking to the Mall with me on Jan 20, 2013:

Here lies the remnants of John A. Boehner’s Sorry Ass Career as Speaker of the House
    Jan. 2010- Jan. 2012
    R.I.P Mofo, you were a sad sack of– shut yo mouth!

• August 31, 2011 at 7:48 pm

This is the sign I’m taking to the Mall with me on Jan 20, 2013:

Jan. 2010- Jan. 2013
      R.I.P Mofo, you were a sad sack of– shut yo mouth!

ps- made a change to date

66. 194 carolyn
    August 31, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Chuck Todd shouls be ashamed of himself! An 84 year old grandmother should NOT have to work at McDonald’s and ride the bus to work! This is beyond belief.
    And yes, John Boehner is beyond belief too. His stupid House of Reps has been on vacation since August 1, and they did hardly anything when in session. This man works every day, and they think a clown debate is more important than a Presidential address????? What has happened to our country?

67. August 31, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Called……left message. Gist of what I said was: I hope he cherishes the distinction of being the FIRST SOH to refuse the president a joint session of Congress……went on to say how embarrassed I am for our country…….said that I pray every day for the Republicans and the hate they have for our president. (That is totally true, btw.) Said some more stuff but don’t even remember all of it. Ended it with God Bless President Obama and the USA.

68. 196 Anonymous
    August 31, 2011 at 7:57 pm

@tavlesh….at last, someone articulates what should be obvious. If Washington is so terrible and the job so awful, why do they want it?

69. 197 nintendowii10
    August 31, 2011 at 8:08 pm

A positive inspiring song for the times:

70. 198 Kasai
    August 31, 2011 at 8:49 pm

This President…never had Democrats to have his back, including the CBC..all they have done is bashing, criticizing..and disrespect him
    My thing is, If his own party can’t respect him….Why should the Republican?….These Idiots such as; Maxine, Sanders, Dennis, the Blue Dogs, P/L and so on….have given the Republicans a a green card to do the same and much worst.
    I am sure that, if PBO had support even just from his own party…..Republicans would have to think twice before pulling a stunt like this.
    Shameful and Truly sad to witness.

71. 199 Kasai
    August 31, 2011 at 9:02 pm

THIS IS ANOTHER GUY THAT NEED TO HEAR FROM ALL OF US

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS MESS???

Senate jam: DeMint also vows to block Obama speech

Sen. Jim DeMint vowed Wednesday to try to block President Barack Obama from addressing a joint session of Congress on the same day as a Republican presidential debate next week.

Obama could learn something from the GOP, DeMint reasoned, in adding his voice — and his vote — to a growing chorus of Republican objections.

The president should pick another night. I’m planning to watch the Republican primary debate … and the president should watch it, too.”

The iconic South Carolina conservative said. “If he has a jobs proposal, put it in writing, give us a cost estimate, and send it over. I want to read the bill, not listen to talking points off a TelePrompter. If he insists on playing politics by picking the night of the GOP debate, I will object to the session.”

• August 31, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Ah yes, the guy who said gays and single mothers who live with their boyfriends should not be allowed teach in public schools, and who described the Teabaggers who spat on Rep. Emanuel Cleaver, called Rep. John Lewis a “n***er” and Rep. Barney Frank a “f****t” “patriots”.

72. 201 Keith in C-bus, Ohio
    August 31, 2011 at 9:37 pm

……………….Well folks the only way Washington will change is if we the PEOPLE change it. We elect these fools and this is how they behave. I am just as disgusted with Democrats as I am with the TeaThugs. Where is Democratic support to back up PBO? Why isn’t Harry Reid on the airwaves to blast this UNPRESEDENTED OBSTRUCTION? Someone mentioned a REVOLUTION earlier in this thread. I’am afraid that is what is going have to take. IF the the American people are OKAY and passive with this behavior in Congress then the elected officials will keep performing in this manner. They all are probably hoping PBO gets so flustered, frustrated, disponded, and apathetic that he will change his mind and decide not to run for a second term. OF course he is not a QUITTER and we know he would never do that. So we must not quit. TWEET, CALL YOUR REPRESENTATIVE, E-MAIL who needs to be e-mailed to show our DISGUST with the way Congress is behaving. OBAMA/BIDEN 2012!!

73. 202 Betsy
    August 31, 2011 at 9:43 pm

The White house has changed the date to Thursday, the 8th. 😦

74. 203 Gwen Day-Fuller
    August 31, 2011 at 11:26 pm

This is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard of. It is obvious that the Republicans are trying to sabotage everything President Obama is trying to accomplish!!!!!!! I can’t believe the White House has changed the date. Just based on principle, some things should not be accepted.
    I’m sickened by everyone’s position on this one. Would someone please explain why the date was changed? I’m wondering if there is something I’ve missed. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

75. 204 LAPalm
    September 1, 2011 at 11:56 pm

Thanks Chip..finally able to open and not get kicked out…
    Good night!