Aug

it’s thursday

Statement from the W.H. press secretary:

“Today, the President asked to address the Congress about the need for urgent action on the economic situation facing the American people as soon as Congress returned from recess. Both Houses will be back in session after their August recess on Wednesday, September 7th, so that was the date that was requested.

We consulted with the Speaker about that date before the letter was released, but he determined Thursday would work better. The President is focused on the urgent need to create jobs and grow our economy, so he welcomes the opportunity to address a Joint Session of Congress on Thursday, September 8th and challenge our nation’s leaders to start focusing 100% of their attention on doing whatever they can to help the American people.”

You know, sometimes I don’t want him to be the only adult in the room …. sometimes I just want him to shout “ENOUGH!”.

But that’s just me. I’ll trust him on this, there are bigger battles to be won.

204 Responses to “it’s thursday”

1. 1 Betsy
    August 31, 2011 at 9:45 pm

I hear you Chipsticks. I sometimes feel the same way, yet I trust him to do the right thing by the American People.

• August 31, 2011 at 10:08 pm

I tell you, for PBO to be such a caring good Human being, a brilliant man, who has played by the rules, to get where he Is today, and he gets absolutely NO Respect from the Teapublicans 😦 This Is absolutely disrespectful!! Lord I pray for PBO and his entire Administration. Help us Lord, help we are depending on you Lord God, to help us through this NO Leaders, NO Ideas, NO Morals Party.

• September 1, 2011 at 11:35 am

I looked at this another way. Maybe others did also. Isn’t the 8th the opening of Football season? If so (I admit I don’t follow football anymore) there may be many more guys watching the President. Some may get po’d, but they will hear what he has to say. Also, I think this may backfire on the Repubs. It will show them as even more of the spiteful, childish nincompoops that they are.

• 4 MoObama
        September 1, 2011 at 12:35 pm

The president is really a strategist. I think he wanted to speak Thursday but didn’t want the MSM peeing in their pants and creating a life crisis over the idea that football might be interrupted. Thursday will provide more television viewers than Wednesday. The president is smart and Rusty isn’t. The bliss of stupidity is not knowing you’re stupid.

2. 5 mmmk
    August 31, 2011 at 9:46 pm

i wish he didn’t ….

• 6 proudmemberofglobalzero
      August 31, 2011 at 9:48 pm

We can’t even get Republicans to fund emergencies…you really think they are about anything?

• 7 P
      August 31, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Me too. It’s not that of a big issue but as my mom always says stand for nothing fall for anything! It’s hurting me……because it’s not the first time and won’t be the last time he is disrespected!

• 8 gcwp1
        August 31, 2011 at 9:53 pm

That was my first reaction, but I doubt he thinks of it this way. He knows he will be victorious in the end and if the reps continue like this, he will have a House to work with. He who laughs last…

• 9 P
          August 31, 2011 at 10:02 pm

….laughs the best. Maybe I am too angry to think like that right now but I want my satisfaction NOW!! PBO is definitely cut from a different cloth.

• 10 nathkatun7
        September 1, 2011 at 2:28 am

President Obama can’t force haters to respect him. Racists, like the South Carolina Senator Jim DeMInt, will never get over the fact that the country elected a Black President. They may not be wearing white robs but they are no different from those who wore them in the past. All the President can do separate what is important and what is trivial. It’s really trivial, in my humble opinion, to be obsessed about whether he addresses Congress on Sept.7th or Sept. 8th. What is important is that he will present his plan for creating jobs to the Congress and the American people on Thursday instead of Wednesday. So what exactly monumental did the Republicans win, other than a puny one day postponement? Wow! I guess that makes them macho men! What exactly did President Obama lose other than not addressing Congress on the day he originally planned. Wow! I guess that makes him weak!

I am sorry but I just can’t get myself to be so outraged about this. Unlike many people here, I think President Obama shows tremendous strength of character by refusing to be bogged down in trivia. It’s just one day people! On Thursday and Friday and the week after the debate will focus back on the President’s jobs proposals. I hope it’s a good one. Any way, Lets see if the teapublicans have a credible porposals of their own other than deregulation and tax cuts for the wealthy–both of which failed miserably when Republicans controlled all the branches of the government.

• 11 Eleroy
          September 1, 2011 at 3:35 am

“..I am sorry but I just can’t get myself to be so outraged about this. Unlike many people here, I think President Obama shows tremendous strength of character by refusing to be bogged down in trivia..”

That makes two of us Nath!!!

• 12 edp4bho
          September 1, 2011 at 9:32 am

I had a well-laid out reply to your comment, but it disappeared when I hit a wrong key. Drat! Anyhow, I thank you for talking me back to reality, as I was livid yesterday and had sworn off politics for about a week. I felt I needed a break from all the silliness that is the rethugs, but I also know that I needed to stay engaged. When PBO came to Philly last October, I remember vividly him telling us he needed us, but the country did not listen to him, and now some want to whine about what he can’t do, how he looks, and on and on, while not doing the work needed to move forward in the face of extreme opposition. If this is not indicative of the level of hate and obstructionism out there, then there is no hope for this God-forsaken country. I am in for the long haul, but I will limit my engagement of negativity. I feel the fight, and it has to be positive or I bail. I can’t functioin on hate and derision- it sickens my soul. Yet I don’t mind a tirade of four-letter words once in a while. I call it righteous indignation.

• 13 Olivia
        September 1, 2011 at 8:58 pm

The last time he “caved” to Republican (circus clown) pressure, he presented his Birth Certificate before he authorized two caps in Bin Laden’s brain. I have complete faith in President Obama… 😀

3. 17 nintendowii10
    August 31, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Well fuck the feckless emoprogs who will whine about President Obama “caving.”

How can they say they are team players when they threw in the towel six months into his Presidency?

President Obama is practicing what he campaigned on, being above the tone in Washington. He’s not going to allow politics to keep his jobs initiative from being heard, and hosting it on football kickoff night only plays in his favor. More people will be tuned in and listen to what he has to say.

• 18 P
      August 31, 2011 at 9:51 pm

“and hosting it on football kickoff night only plays in his favor. More people will be tuned in and listen to what he has to say.”

You really think so?

• August 31, 2011 at 11:16 pm

I don’t like the timing of this either. I don’t think it’s an ideal night, with lots of people in football mode, at bars to watch etc. Our local NBC news Chicago presented the issue as—-President Obama wanted to address Congress and the Amer. people next Wed. about jobs and the economy, Speaker Boehner said “NO WAY! That’s the night of the Republican debate”, so President Obama agreed to wait until the next night, the opening night of NFL football—-and then they gave a look, like—-opening night of NFL football? Not good.
        I am so tired of the disrespect of this president by this Repub Party. And sad about it. I just have to think that all will work out in the end.

4. 22 Me4obama
    August 31, 2011 at 9:50 pm

I wouldn’t want my President to have the door slammed in his Face and go through another day tomorrow fighting with that blow head of a speaker and I believe he is not a DICTATOR, IMHO am interested in the Job’s speech not the theatrics of who does what and when.

5. 23 Connie
    August 31, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Having his speech on Thursday is a win for President Obama. You can throw out the window that crap about going big in his speech because it’s clearer than ever that they won’t agree to anything he plans to do about jobs. President Obama will also know what the Republican candidates have to say after their debate.

• 25 Me4obama
      August 31, 2011 at 9:57 pm

I agree Connie PBO is better off showing the country what he is up against, already, the MEDIA where on RuSTY’s side saying the president is playing politics, so to have this important speech dragged into the gutter to show me how tough and a tighter PBO is when so many americans tonight are drowning and many have no jobs really doesn’t look right to me and all those who are suffering. Karma is a bitch and Boner will have his day of judgement come 2012.

• August 31, 2011 at 10:02 pm

It’s interesting that the media always jumps to call the President for playing politics, but doesn’t seem to give a damn when the GOP has been playing politics for three years. They want the President to fight with both hands behind his back while all eight opponents, the House and Senate, and the MSM all blast away at the President.

If the President would have chose Thursday, the MSM would have gleefully played the “Obama up against the NFL” game.

• 27 Ladyhawke
      August 31, 2011 at 10:20 pm

I agree. Bottom line, there will be no mistaking the contrast between our brilliant leader President Obama and the weak/unhinged GOP presidential candidates. The problem I have with the debates is that it will just be another opportunity for them to hammer PBO with outlandish claims and nonsense accusations. I don’t expect the candidates to be challenged for not answering questions. So it will just be an opportunity for them to get their talking points out.

So let the Republicans have Wednesday night. The spotlight will be on them big time now. I hope Rick Perry doesn’t disavow anything in his book. I hope Michele Bachmann will continue making gaffes and making stuff up. I hope Mittens will do a flip flop flip with a triples axle on some issue. I hope Ron Paul reiterates his desire to eliminate FEMA all together. I hope Gingrich, Santorum, Cain and Hunstsman
      will go after each other trying to stay relevant. I have never seen a more dismal group of candidates.

I look forward to hearing from President Obama next Thursday night. He continues to be the only adult in the room.

• 28 Sue in Minnesota
        August 31, 2011 at 10:35 pm

My anger is reserved 115% for the Republicans that continue to play fast and loose with the lives of the American people. The Republican debates will be Obama bashing…no doubt, but I think the tweet that Chipsticks posted previously says it all …..”If Republicans cannot muster any respect for the office of the President of the United States maybe they shouldn’t be seeking it.”

The Republicans have an opportunity in their debate tomorrow night to put forward their jobs plan…….bet it doesn’t amount to shit.

Still calling tomorrow and expressing my deep disappointment in Boehner’s lack of leadership and the general disrespect demonstrated by the Republicans for the President and the American people.

• 29 Ladyhawke
          August 31, 2011 at 10:50 pm

The American people need to ask themselves this question. If the Republican Party is so against the government, why in the hell would we want them running it?? They don’t know how to govern. Their disdain and contempt for the government is on full display. And they could care less about the well being of the American people.

• August 31, 2011 at 10:52 pm

What you said…

By the way, I just received this email:

From: Barack Obama
        Subject: Frustrated

Lillie —

Today I asked for a joint session of Congress where I will lay out a clear plan to get Americans back to work. Next week, I will deliver the details of the plan and call on lawmakers to pass it.

Whether they will do the job they were elected to do is ultimately up to them.

But both you and I can pressure them to do the right thing. We can send the message that the American people are playing by the rules and meeting their responsibilities — and it’s time for our leaders in Congress to meet theirs.

And we must hold them accountable if they don’t.

So I’m asking you to stand with me in calling on Congress to step up and take action on jobs:

my.barackobama.com/Time-To-Act

No matter how things go in the weeks and months ahead, this will be an important challenge for our organization.

It’s been a long time since Congress was focused on what the American people need them to be focused on.

I know that you’re frustrated by that. I am, too.

That’s why I’m putting forward a set of bipartisan proposals to help grow the economy and create jobs — that means strengthening our small businesses, giving needed breaks to middle-class families, while taking responsible steps to bring down our deficit.

I’m asking lawmakers to look past short-term politics and take action on that plan. But we’ve got to do this together.

I will deliver this message to Congress next week, but I’m asking you to stand alongside me today:

my.barackobama.com/Time-To-Act

More to come,

Barack

——————————

STAND W/PBHO, let’s KEEP THE FAITH & HOPE ALIVE!

And, donation(s), anyone?

I did! 😉

YES.WE.CAN…DO.(Much)More, Together!
        YES.WE.CAN, Again…Obama/Biden 2012!
        I’M IN…FIRED UP & GOIN’! 😉

• 33 Charmed
        September 1, 2011 at 12:08 am

I think this means more people may tune into the republican debate and we all know its going to be a mess…winning. Then the President can talk about whatever foolish idea they put out there the night before…

• September 1, 2011 at 1:51 am

I think it’s “a win for President Obama”..and I know I’ve been in the minority on this so far today..it’s only 7:48pm on Kaua’i. Let the teabaggers have their stupid debate unfettered on Wednesday night when the Moon is Void of Course and then along come President Obama on Thursday night talking about real jobs. I read rootless on ThePeople’sView saying the speech would be before the NFL..as in “Super Prime Time”. I hope that’s accurate.

Why can’t we talk about JOBS right before football? People have to work to enjoy said Football.

6. August 31, 2011 at 9:55 pm

How could the President call for grown-ups and putting behind petty politics if he was in a quagmire of bickering over one day over the other?

And if Pres. Obama chose Thursday, the GOP would have attacked on how he’s unAmerican because it’s trying to upstage the NFL opening game. Now he’ll have to compete with Kid Rock and Lady Antelbellum and the pre-game show – which is what I think the GOP wanted, as they hope Pres. Obama loses the ratings battle there. However there will be a lot of folks who will sit down for football and will at least flip over to other stations during commercials or downtime. I mean Kid Rock isn’t for everybody.

• 37 gcwp1
      August 31, 2011 at 9:59 pm

My first reaction was disappointment, but calming down, I believe you are right. Nobody will remember the crap about the date. The people will listen to his words about what concerns them – employment.

• 38 Obama Grandmama
      August 31, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Guess PBO needs us to let everyone we know he is speaking about jobs that night. Taking a stand on something that inconsequential is caring about winning something not that important. Just heard Ed say the President is moving his talk to Thursday so is he caving? He’ll probably do a phone poll on it. I always think those phone polls are ridiculous as who cares what some people tweeting on a phone think? It is like the news tries to create it rather than report it.

• 39 RinaX
      August 31, 2011 at 10:47 pm

“Making a stand on the date would have been silliness. Even if he won, he would have lost, and ultimately he couldn’t win given Boehner has to invite the President per protocol. ”

I agree with you completely. I’m catching up on this all at once. Yes, Boehner is an ass, but arguing over a date is just plain stupid. Wednesday, Thursday, the speech will be given, and after that more battles with Congress.

7. August 31, 2011 at 9:58 pm

I’m not freaked out by this because he will get his message out NO MATTER WHAT, NO MATTER WHEN. Why get mired in the game Rusty wants to play? This BS only verifies that he is dealing with complete idiots who think their Debate for Captian Clown will register with anybody. The mess that is the GOP 20%ers will suck. PBO will present his jobs plan and you will get to decide which is more effective. Seriously.

8. August 31, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Boehner: “He agreed to Thursday???” [gets Rush on the bat-phone] “&*!@^! — Dammit, let’s make it Wednesday. He’s gonna eat our lunch on Thursday!”

August 31, 2011 at 9:59 pm

It’s all good Chipsticks. This petty move by Speaker Boehner and his cronies just keeps adding to the list that reminds Americans, democrats, and others why we have to work extra hard to kick the GOP out of congress. Once again, the President is the only adult in the room. His agreement to a change of date just shows the average voter that he unlike the GOPTeabaggers is interested in creating jobs and growing the economy. So…… patience dear one; because as they say: Karma is a bitch.

• August 31, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Word.

PBO gets shit on relentlessly from left and right. If anybody thinks now is the time to be disapointed, then go ahead if that’s what you need to do. But we’re going to need to get much tougher to fight it out for 2012 because honestly, this is just a mild preview. These people are SICK.

10. August 31, 2011 at 9:59 pm

I just posted my FB status as: No leaders, No ideas, No morals. Hope it was okay I stole it, Chips. 🙂 Am sure it will p— off some people but I DON’T CARE!!!!!!! Enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. 47 lamh34
    August 31, 2011 at 9:59 pm

“Bowing” interesting choice of words from CBCNEWS on twitter!

From CBSNews on twitter: “Bowing to Boehner’s request, Obama agrees to move his congressional address on jobs back one day ”

Hey CBSNews this is for you!

• 48 P
      August 31, 2011 at 10:04 pm

They are really making him out to be a ‘wuss’. Shame……

• 49 PeterJ
      August 31, 2011 at 10:05 pm

The media is why Obama had no choice ultimately. They were already insinuating he was in the wrong to begin with. You can’t overstate how much our corporate media is destroying good governance, and therefore, progress, in America.

• 50 Me4obama
        August 31, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Obsolutely Peter everytime this President takes a stand the Media even Lawrence all start to gang on him that he is playing politics. It’s not worth it and it’s not his nature to get in the gutter with the 12% congress

12. August 31, 2011 at 10:05 pm

accidentally turned to msnbfox to hear Ed say PBO “caved.” will it never end with these fuckwits and their PL bullhokey?

• August 31, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Actually, I have kept watching and he is saying “No, he did not cave.” Surprisingly, Ed is being very supportive of PO tonight. WOW. I am pleasantly surprised.

• 53 utaustinliberal
        August 31, 2011 at 10:19 pm

I know right? Even Michael Eric Dyson and Mike Pappatonio are saying that President Obama didn’t cave. That the left should understand that the American people will see him as the adult. He’s the only one interested in not playing games. He’s the only one interested in making sure that jobs are created and the economy grows. They all said that since Speaker Boehner refused PBO’s request and this is certainly unprecedented, he looks like a whiny baby and this has just added another black mark to his tenure as Speaker of the House.

August 31, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Wow. That’s great! There are tiny, tiny examples all over the place that the tide may be turning. You really have to look for them, but they are there.

• 55 57andFemale
          August 31, 2011 at 11:53 pm

Mike Pappantonio? Seriously?!?!?!

Methinks Mike said it then Ed decided to believe it. What a mental giant he is.

• September 1, 2011 at 2:01 am

This is great..because this is how it is. I was all bummed when I saw ..”Ed said he caved” and then bounced back when I read..”no, Ed said he didn’t cave”. Whew! Wow.

President Obama knows it’s not about boehner or himself..it’s about the JOBS!

• 57 57andFemale
        August 31, 2011 at 11:51 pm

Seriously? I heard him say the President caved and I went to do some work instead of listening to him. But if anyone can disagree with himself from the beginning of a sentence to the end of the sentence, it’s Ed Schultz.

• 58 Sue in Minnesota
      August 31, 2011 at 10:14 pm

I am still calling tomorrow and registering my disgust with the political games of the Republicans.

13. 59 ber6964
    August 31, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Best Advertising for his speach ever to have the repugnuts broadcast it loudly for him…………………..Now everyone will hear about it and maybe listen!!
    Genius

14. 62 hgerhard
    August 31, 2011 at 10:15 pm

I left a very angry message for Speaker Boehner earlier. But I also know that President Obama is only interested in getting action on job creation. He does not want to get into a petty fight, does not want the media and all the bloggers to divert attention to the timing of the speech. It ‘s what he will say, not whether it’s Wednesday or Thursday, that matters. The deplorable tactics of his shameless opponents are well known to the American people by now. They know that the people’s concerns and needs are a distant second to the GOP’s need to upstage the President. But the President will stand tall, sweep aside the nonsense, and deliver his address on the real problems the country is facing and lay out his plans to move forward. And that is the only winning move there is.

August 31, 2011 at 10:47 pm

I started with an angry voicemail, but by the time I was nearly finished with Boehner, my voice was cracking. So, his staff heard anger then tears from me!

I think when you call Boehner, the first thing you subconsciously think of is CRYING.

• 64 Sue in Minnesota
        August 31, 2011 at 11:29 pm

But everytime you bring him up I laugh out loud. 😆

What an emotional roller coaster today has been, I was damn near frothing at the mouth….and then I read George Clooney’s comments and I started bawling like a baby……..

15. 65 joyce
    August 31, 2011 at 10:16 pm

Yeah. I heard Ed say that at the beginning too but I was glad I hung in there and heard Ed defend the president for now.

16. 66 Me4obama
    August 31, 2011 at 10:18 pm

CNN is reporting that Boner was “concerned” about PBO security that’s why he requested Thursday so that the house can be swept and inspected. Well, well, well talk about spinning it for rusty. Love my president more than everrrrr.

• 67 Janelle
      August 31, 2011 at 10:24 pm

This tells me that the phone calls have an effect. Everyone should still call and bombard his office tomorrow to let him know we are awake. Don’t stop calling folks. It makes people nervous. The man has lied so much he can’t keep up with all his stories. For those of us who are upset and saddened at this situation, it’s a great way to release the tension to keep calling his office…..you’ll feel better knowing that you were proactive.

August 31, 2011 at 10:48 pm

Note to CNN – it’s Congress that’s on vacation, not the Secret Service. They would have been there on any date or time.

• 69 Sue in Minnesota
        August 31, 2011 at 11:32 pm

Congress isn’t even in full recess…remember they were obstructing President Obama from any recess appointments. Boehner put forth nothing but flimsy excuses.

17. August 31, 2011 at 10:19 pm

I understand the frustration but its not worth it. The only reason I wanted him to stick with the 7th was so I wouldn’t have to read any “Obama caves again and is giving away the store, farm and the kitchen sink yadda yaddda……” comments. Otherwise its not a big deal. In fact its completely irrelevant. Boehner can have the date, I just want the House, the Senate and the presidency in Nov. 2012. Don’t get caught up with PL framing and start judging him or situation according to their standards.

• August 31, 2011 at 10:41 pm

gobrooklyn, you don’t have to read one comment about the President caving again. I don’t plan too. 2010 if alot of those PL had come out to vote, there would be no Speaker Boehner. Remind them of that. This President is fighting for the people who are out there suffering.

18. 72 chiara
    August 31, 2011 at 10:19 pm

At the risk of feeling the wrath, I will admit that I am a bit disappointed. In part large part because the audience will be much smaller on Thursday because of NFL opening night which is a much bigger draw than one of many republican debates.

• 73 Desraye
      August 31, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Read Connie’s post up top.

• August 31, 2011 at 10:44 pm

I plan to listen tothe President. There will be many many more football games. So the President can count on me. So to heck with the Saints and Packers.

• 75 lamh34
        August 31, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Hey, hey, as a member of WhoDatNation, I can’t condone anyone saying “to heck with the Saints…” no way, no how.

Just kidding. I am a member of WhoDat Nation, but I hate football, so I don’t really watch the games anyway.

I’ll be paying attention to the speech.

• 77 chiara
        August 31, 2011 at 10:58 pm

I think they are trying to find a time that doesn’t overlap with the game, which is a good move since it will provide a big built in audience. Of course even if they are on at the same time I’ll be watching the speech, even if I did care about football I would watch the speech.

• August 31, 2011 at 10:45 pm

Well, in some ways a bigger may have been created by Boehner’s mess.

19. 80 proudmemberofglobalzero
    August 31, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Can someone tweet Anderson Cooper and let him know it is not the Democrat party but the Democratic Party??? Meta…are you in?

• 82 Ladyhawke
      August 31, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Chris Matthews called out Darryl Issa for this “Democrat” nonsense back in early 2009. Anderson Cooper needs to see this youtube video. I am really disgusted to hear another reporter doing this. There was a comment earlier in the week about Scott Pelley doing the same thing. It’s outrageous coming from the GOP, but reporters that’s over the line completely.

Chris Matthews chides Rep. Issa’s use of “Democrat Party”

• September 1, 2011 at 2:31 am

What, is he stupid? Democrat is the NOUN..Democractic is the ADJECTIVE. He needs a lesson in grammer. Republican is either an adjective or a noun. Democrat is not.

20. August 31, 2011 at 10:22 pm

PBO could have said, ENOUGH. But since he needs consent to address a joint session of Congress, why paint himself into a corner? Not worth the ink.

21. August 31, 2011 at 10:23 pm

I actually got choked up when I saw this announcement. I’m so angry, so insulted, so disgusted. Okay…the tears have dropped. I’ve HAD IT with these republican assholes. I’ve HAD IT with Maxine Waters, Tavis, Cornell, I’ve HAD IT with every single one of these people who have been disrespectful of this great, great man. But then you know what??? I then think about how Norman Rockwell’s picture of Ruby Bridges is purposely located where President Obama can pass it everyday and be reminded of just how far we have come. I truly admire and love this president.

22. 94 Me4obama
    August 31, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Or maybe the Secret service had something to do with this decision for security reasons. Remember congress gets in town at 3pm and there is no way they can clear and screen everyone and the building, so many reasons go into everything PBO does.

23. 95 Bobfr
    August 31, 2011 at 10:28 pm

He did what is best for the American people, the way he always does.

He truly means “Country before Party” – “Governing before politics” – and he just demonstrated to the American people just how solid and consistent he is.

That’s leadership.

Yes.We.Can. … DO.More.Together!

• 96 Ladyhawke
      August 31, 2011 at 10:35 pm

I totally agree Bobfr. You should have seen the press briefing today with jay Carney. The reporters were apoplectic about the scheduling. They could barely contain themselves. They were just horrified that President Obama had requested 9/7. After all, it was the same day as the GOP. I think they should change the name from the White House Press Corps to the GOP Press Corps at the White House.

• 97 Bobfr
        August 31, 2011 at 11:09 pm

Ladyhawke, the President set the suckers up and they kindly obliged by demonstrating in no uncertain terms to the vast majority of Americans that Republicans do not care one twit about the majority of Americans.

That they are so blind by their arrogance that they did not see exactly what President Obama was doing to them is a blindness I assure you President Obama and his team comprehended and took full advantage.

When President Obama speaks to the Nation, in front of these clowns, and says – so are you ever going to put the people of this Nation before petty party politics – the People of this Nation already will know the answer – NO.

Arrogance is a deadly disease. President Obama has no intention of offering a cure. He’s just going to bury the stinking carcass of the Republican Party on Election Day 2012.

Yes.We.Can. … DO.More.Together!

• 98 Eleroy
      September 1, 2011 at 4:09 am

Precisely Bob!!! Spot on as always Bob!!!

24. August 31, 2011 at 10:29 pm

This morning as I listened to PBO’s on camera statement about working on passing transportation legislation ASAP , I noticed that he didn’t quite seem totally present. Maybe this negotiation was part of it. This process was in motion with COS Bill Daley who told Boehner about 9/7 request at 10:30AM.

25. 100 Tally
    August 31, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Princess Potty Mouth the Mystical is here to talk you all from the edge of the ANGRY cliff…..

~ deep breath everyone ~

FIRST OF ALL….. WHO is the SMARTEST GUY IN AMERICA?????

Correct. President Obama.

Consider:

– Do not think for ONE FUCKING MINUTE Obama and his staff didn’t know EXACTLY WHEN the ClownCarCrazies™ were having their “debate.”

– Do not think for ONE FUCKING MINUTE Obama and his staff didn’t know EXACTLY WHAT their reaction would be.

Which means…… Obama set Boehner up, and Boehner took the bait like the stupid, one-track idiot he is. Boehner played right into the President’s hands…..

Boehner looks like the disrepsecting douchebag that he is, and Obama looks like the HONORABLE PRESIDENT he is.

This proves once again, that the GOP cares more about themselves, and their ridiculous “debate”, six months before the first primary, which will be a showdown of who can be the most insane, FAR MORE THAN THEY CARE ABOUT GETTING AMERICANS BACK TO WORK.

They not only disrespect Obama, but they disrespect THE OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT.

Checkmate.

For once – Ed Schultz is NAILING IT.

• August 31, 2011 at 10:34 pm

I totally believe that PBO and his team gamed this out. You would have to, given the current state of affairs.

• August 31, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Meta, I agree with you. This was totally thought out. I think it is another example of PBO playing chess and deliberately making this move. It certainly got folks fired up and now a lot more people know about his jobs speech.

• 104 edp4bho
            September 1, 2011 at 11:19 am

Just wow. After reading what Meta said upthread about the timing of PBO’s press conference and COS Daly’s request to speake at aroung the same time, and that PBO did seem distracted, I began to think…….”did PBO just play Bonehead?’. And then I read your outline, and I say, just maybe HELL YES ! I really need to believe this is what happened, and I think we need to stay tuned to witness the important optics of all of this. Thanks, Meta and Tally. You guys are so deep!

• 106 Sue in Minnesota
      August 31, 2011 at 10:44 pm

You are not only mystical you are magical…thanks for the calming our frazzled nerves 😦

• August 31, 2011 at 10:45 pm

Thank you, Princess Potty Mouth. You’re the best! Thanks for making me smile tonight—-finally.

• 108 Marlz
      August 31, 2011 at 10:45 pm

Not only did the president play them, but we see who their leader his – RUSH LIMBAUGH!

• August 31, 2011 at 10:50 pm

Talley-Ho. Thanks for the words that bring us back from that emotional cliff. Best we make decision when we can than when we have to.
      i’m reminded of an African proverb: “No matter… how hot your anger is, it cannot cook yams” – Nigeria.
      PEACE.

August 31, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Tally – I like and agree with everything that just came out of your precious potty mouth! Good calls!

• 117 Bobfr
      August 31, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Tally, of course our guys knew exactly what the clowns would do and played them, once again, for the fools they are – for all Americans to view.

What’s particularly juicy about this one is that they demonstrated to ALL Americans that they not only disrespect President Obama and the Office of the Presidency, they TOTALLY disrespect the majority of Americans – in fact, they loath the majority of Americans and they just proved it, yet again.

Yes.We.Can. … DO.More.Together!

26. August 31, 2011 at 10:32 pm

meta, ” into a corner” will be the GOP after this one.

27. 119 criquet
    August 31, 2011 at 10:33 pm

So will Mitt Romney now change his date ? If he does, then it is more evidence of his craven motives, lack of leadership and total unsuitability for the job he covets.

28. August 31, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Princess Potty Mouth the Mystical…LOVE YOU SO MUCH!! The ClownCarCrazies image had me cracking up and got me back into fightin’ shape. Thanks baby gurl…

29. 122 Blue
    August 31, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Why fight about a stupid date, when the big fight is going to be over the Job’s bill? At least President Obama again, has exposed the GOP’s on their interest in jobs, in which they don’t care about and it’s quite clear to the American people.

30. 123 Rita
    August 31, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Fighting over the date would have been silliness personified. Deja vu of the debt ceiling fiasco. I would much rather PBO fight for his jobs plan to help those who are out of work and hurting than resort to schoolyard games with the Speaker of the House. If his ego can handle it, so can ours.

31. 124 Kasai
    August 31, 2011 at 10:41 pm

I am sick of Roland Martin…He was the first to Say…PBO caved AGAIN!!!!

He got a few push back..on tweeter…

I shot him back a tweet

@RolandMartin 2 bad that “CLASS” is translated into “CAVE”We truly miss Real Journalism.Viewers are sick and tired of your talking points..

32. 135 Kasai
    August 31, 2011 at 10:45 pm

Even some liberal bloggers are saying why is PBO choosing same date of debate…He set himself to fail.

I shot back again and tweeted>
    #Repubs have plenty of time 4 debates & 4 those who thinks the PBO failed by choosing “Date” your answer is JOBS JOBS. like 3yrs ago Date

• 136 RinaX
      August 31, 2011 at 10:50 pm

That’s what I’ve noted in my brief perusal of the internet. No support for the move from the “left”, but I know there will be plenty of complaints about moving the date.

33. 137 Dorothy
    August 31, 2011 at 10:51 pm

The definition of caving is when Maxine Waters and the CBC attack President Obama because their blackness has been challenged by Tavis and Cornel. Barack Obama has been called hateful names his whole life. Through it all he remains focused on the job at hand in his own special way.

34. August 31, 2011 at 10:51 pm

When this President stands up there with Michelle, and with Malia and Sasha November 2012, on that night when he is celebrating his re-election, all the stupid ass media will be saying is they can’t understand how he did it, how he won.

35. 142 Kasai
    August 31, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Stand with
    the President

It’s time for our lawmakers to stop playing political games. President Obama is going to Congress to tell them to take action to get Americans back to work.

Stand with him by adding your name.

36. 145 sjterrid
    August 31, 2011 at 10:54 pm

I respect this president so much because it is all about the families that are going through such a hard time now. That he changed the date one day is only showing the people that he is ready to talk about what he plans to do about jobs and how to improve the economy and once again the republicans aren’t ready to come to table to do anything to help. This should make clear that it is the republicans that are playing politics. I’m sure the NFL can move up the pre-game show and season opener a 1/2 hr for the president to speak. Since it was the republicans that wanted the date changed because of the GOP debate, NBC can eliminate the republican response since they are going to have the same talking point anyway.

37. 147 proudmemberofglobalzero
    August 31, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Mentioning the speech vs. Football. I am guessing one is after the other. Joint sessions of congress are televised nationally…correct???

Buhler, Buhler?!?

• 148 RinaX
      August 31, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Yeah, the bulk of the speech should occur during the pre-game show, which I wasn’t planning on watching anyways. The game itself probably won’t start until around 8:45 after all the fanfare.

38. 149 Kasai
    August 31, 2011 at 10:59 pm

What an excellent idea SJterrid….Oh boy!! wouldn;t that be something if the NFL accommodated the President time for his speech…It would send a clear message to the republicans and the American people…Who comes first….I can only dream 🙂

39. 151 ChristiMtl
    August 31, 2011 at 11:03 pm

Interesting point of view:

@chrislhayes Christopher Hayes
    12 dimensional chess interpretation of Obama move: hoping to bring national attention to GOP debate?

The more publicity this debate will get, the better it is.

Especially now that Rick Perry will be there.

So pretty much saying, all this outrage for this ****? It will be the same as usual, President=bad, tax cuts=good, they have nothing, but nothing else to say,.

As far as the emoprogs/PL, the hell with them, they are incapable of independent thoughts,

Frankly, anything the President does, anything……..it’s never good enough,

All experts in politics. Right.

They know nothing and they share one collective mind, pathetic fools.

They forget one thing, regardless of what happen in 2012, the President will be more than fine, he can do anything he wants.

40. 152 Kasai
    August 31, 2011 at 11:03 pm

I may have to call the NFL management….or have my football players send a “Shout Out” to our commander in chief…lol

41. August 31, 2011 at 11:06 pm

I know people love their football and everything but how pathetic is it that the POTUS has to work around this in order to present an urgent jobs creation package for the millions who are suffering from months and months of unemployment? Think about it.

42. August 31, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Calm down folks. You don’t hunt mice with an elephant gun……You may kill the mouse in the end but the collateral damage to the house would be costly. The social history and mores of this country are being exposed for the world to see. Amerikkka is being pulled into the light of day. Her claw marks can be seem in the streets and her howls of protest heard in the halls of congress…Secure your food stuffs and lock-up your cheese and starve the ass-holes out!

43. August 31, 2011 at 11:14 pm

Well, Boehner is still in trouble with his overlord, Rush. He’s gonna get a spanking for offering an alternative date at all, much less the very next night. The very fact that PBO is going to be addressing a joint house of congress AT ALL is still a FAIL for the TeaOP. Count on Jabba the Rush to blow a gasket tomorrow, lol.

44. 162 Walking_on_ Sunshine
    August 31, 2011 at 11:14 pm

I’m glad he didn’t let them drag him down into the gutter. He’s the President and should be and is on a higher level. I think this little kerfuffle will have generated attention and more people will watch the speech because of it.

I’m not going to question the judgement of the leader of the free world. I voted for him because he’s smarter than me and smarter than anyone else I’ve seen in public office.

45. 163 57andFemale
    August 31, 2011 at 11:31 pm

I hear ya, Chipsticks.

August 31, 2011 at 11:32 pm

Most people who watch TVEE have DVR’s. They can tape the game or the President’s speech. Meanwhile I’m sure both the game and the President’s speech will be streamed online as well.

Bottom Line: The President’s speech will be seen. The GOP clown debate will be seen. The choice for 2012 will be CLEAR.

47. 165 carolyn
    August 31, 2011 at 11:54 pm

This president knows to choose his battles. His aim is winning the war. Many people win the battles, but lose the war…this was not a battle worth fighting for. The President WILL speak, the nation will listen, and the Republicans will once again look like spoiled tantrum throwing children. Actually, I’m glad he’s speaking AFTER the silly Republican debate. That way they can’t come back at him in their debate…he can deal with them.
    However, here in Oklahoma City, most people are concerned with horrible fires raging in our city burning churches, farms, homes, grass…horrible fires in 103 degrees in a drought…this is what matters today, not John Boehner. On the east coast people are cleaning up from Irene. Do you think those poor people in Vermont are thinking about the date of a debate or speech? NO! Only the self-centred pundits on cable are. And remember the audience for the last Republican debate was miniscule. It won’t be any bigger this time. Not even Republicans want to hear these people.

48. August 31, 2011 at 11:56 pm

I love our President. He knows how to pick his battles. This was going to be a he said/they said argument and would not accomplish anything. I feel the Republicans look very petty and small. When that asshole DeMint came out and said he would vote No on a Joint Session of Congress, it was very clear it would be a very partisan fight.

49. August 31, 2011 at 11:58 pm

I tried going to bed, but couldn’t sleep……especially after I heard the local news. Lamar Alexander was the keynote speaker earlier tonight at the Knoxville Convention Center (bar association Supreme Court dinner). He did a short interview with local TV station afterwards and said he is looking forward to what the president has to say (about jobs) but so far he has been part of the problem….he doesn’t blame him for the problems he has inherited, but so far he has thrown a wet blanket over the economy……he does blame him for making ti worse with higher taxes, more debt, more regulation, undermining the right to work law…….lies, lies, lies. I will be calling his office tomorrow and asking for specifics on the things he talked about.

• September 1, 2011 at 12:05 am

Ask him to explain the higher taxes specifically. Ask him why he didn’t demand spending cuts from Bush when he passed the tax cuts and blew up the deficit and debt? And how specifically the Bush Tax Cuts were set to sun set, and thus it’s not raising taxes to let them expire like they were passed originally to do.

• September 1, 2011 at 12:09 am

Gawd, that is disgusting. 100% LIES. Are they senile or machiavellian or yes, BOTH?

• 171 theo67
      September 1, 2011 at 2:59 am

Indeed – ask him about these “higher taxes”, when all evidence shows that taxes are actually at their lowest since the Nixon administration. Also, what does he think about Repubs planning to raise taxes by 25% on the working class by refusing to extend the payroll tax cuts. These people make me crazy!

• 172 chiara
      September 1, 2011 at 3:42 am

Yes ask him in particular about the higher taxes. Obama has not raised any taxes and in fact has fought for and won tax cuts for the middle-class and small businesses so where exactly were these “wet blanket” tax increases???

The real problem here isn’t that republicans lie, because well that’s what they do, the big issue is a lazy and ignorant media that does not ask follow up questions and just allows the lies to stand. We might as well just set up cameras and allow the politicians to just walk up, say what they want and move on, it’s about the same thing.

50. September 1, 2011 at 12:06 am

We were engaged today in another wonderful and productive day in history. We saw two men in particular show how they do their jobs for the American people. You know who you are with and why. Now we move on with the man that we want to support. You are either with someone or not. Through the big times and the small times. But remember, this President knows how to do his job. That is important to me. It is also important that we all really do believe that we have three branches of government in our process. Now we have a date. Now we have a responsibility to plan and show up for that date. Otherwise, you know what you are and who you are. I will never know whether anyone here will show up, and you do not know if I will show up. But we all know that we should and must show up. So we have a DATE NIGHT set. Got That? So let’s go to bed, relax, or have a glass of wine, say a prayer of thanksgiving that we know who has the right to be sitting in the Oval Office in the peoples house was smart enough to get their with us, and he is smart enough to make the journey again with our help. It is very funny, I never cried tonight; I never had to hold my colon; and I never was worried about the outcome of the date. I was very calm, really about dates. However, like all of us here, we all WERE pissed about the treatment of President Barack H. Obama and the high office of the President of the United States of America. The world watches us now, because of what goodness that President Barack H. Obama has brought to it. That is what it was all about for us. And some of us were here, on facebook, and twitter, so was I. And really, that is okay. But really, like Tally said it all and so did Bob. He played his game of chess big and bad ass today. Thank you, Mr. President, David Plouffe, Valarie Jarret, and Mr. Daley. I like watching you all play the game of chess. Remember, we still get the true respect in the end. The clowns’ circus(the debate) will be over and we will have seen what all the animals look like and see all their tricks. Then we have a little candy with the game, and then The President of the United States of America speaks. LISTEN UP! ENOUGH .
    “Ladies and gentlemen, The President of the United States of American.” Standing and applauds, applauds, and applauds. Goodnight.HZ

51. 175 Anonymous
    September 1, 2011 at 12:07 am

Hi all,
    Reading the comments on the last 2 postings, I too have been on an emotional roller coaster. We all sense a lack of respect for our President, that is what hurts me the most. Then I remembered a quote from Jackie Robinson, “I believe in the goodness of a free society. And I believe that society can remain good only as long as we are willing to fight for it–and to fight against whatever imperfections may exist.” Do we recall the disrespect this man had to endure when he first walked on the field in a Dodgers uniform? How did he react? With grace and dignity. He did his job, and people saw what a great athlete he was, and what a wonderful human being he was too. Our country has a ways to go, Our President is responding to the clowns with grace and dignity.

I have one more quote from Woodrow Wilson regarding great leadership. ” One cool judgment is worth a thousand hasty councils. The thing to do is supply light and not heat. At any rate, if it is heat it ought to be white heat and not sputter, because sputtering is apt to spread the fire.There ought to be that warmth of the heart which makes every man thrust aside his own personal feeling, his own personal interest, and take thought of the welfare and benefit of others.”
    That, my friends ,is our President. Getting on with the peoples business.

52. September 1, 2011 at 12:17 am

Now, that is something to lift up a nice glass of wineto with a good prayer on the sip. Thank you, Anonymous.HZ

53. 178 Tally
    September 1, 2011 at 1:12 am

Ready TWITTERS:

@nfl @NFLPLAYERS @TheSaints @packers Please #postponethegame 30min 4 @BarackObama’s JOBS SPEECH 9/8 #ISUPPORTTHEPRESIDENT @nbc @nbc_sports

54. 179 overseasgranny
    September 1, 2011 at 4:02 am

Man, for the first time since 2006 I have to say I am deeply disappointed in President Obama. I have read all your comments and nothing is changing my mind. There comes a point when he must say enough is enough to remain the adult in the relationship. He has caved too many times and to half the country he now appears as a weak president, like Carter.

• 180 Eleroy
      September 1, 2011 at 4:26 am

Oh please stop with all the PL talking points and comparisons!!! And if you feel that way, please spare us all and take it to some other site that will indulge in the shortsighted blather!!!

“..Weak as Carter..” You have to f*^king kidding me!!!

Same old recycled, tired rightwing/Pl talking point crap!!!

• 181 overseasgranny
        September 1, 2011 at 4:43 am

Look, punk. Wrong Democrat to be spouting that PI shit at. I’m 70 years old and have been voting for Dems for the past 50 years. I have been supporting PBO since the convention speech. All the people who should be supporting the President aren’t. Crickets out there. Who in the hell let the President announce the date of the 7th when it wasn’t yet approved? Voters in the US have very short memories, like a day, but the losses are remembered far longer than the wins. I am angriest about Rush’s comment to “put him in his place”. If for no other reason, PBO should have stood firm just because of that terrible slur against all African-Americans. You, Eleroy, are a bothersome flea compared to the anger I am feeling against the Republicans right now. It was the time to say enough is enough for the sake of every black person in the country.

• 182 Eleroy
          September 1, 2011 at 4:50 am

I’m no punk!!! YOU can take YOUR misinformed anger to some other place instead of continuing to infect this place with misinformation!!!

The President HAS to be invited by the speaker and these negotiations are traditionally routine and private!!!

If an unethical Speaker turns around and denies tand reneges on this staid tradition, while publicly trying to embarrass the President of the United States, it is NOT the President’s fault and especially, it is NOT a sign of weakness!!!

The President digging in, does him no favors, since he cannot impose himself upon the House!!!

Get your facts right especially when you claim so many years and experience!!!

• 183 Eleroy
          September 1, 2011 at 4:54 am

The Presidency especially in the midst of a deep recession and unprecedented natural disasters is not the place to fight slurs from buffoonish talk show hosts!!!

Especially NOT in the manner you want him to and for your feel good reasons!!!

• 184 overseasgranny
            September 1, 2011 at 5:28 am

Eleroy, The second Rush said “put him in his place”, the whole issue became a racial matter, and at that point the President was standing in the place of every person of color in the US. I don’t know about you, but I am not about to let Boner or any other republican put my family in their place, or sell them down river to the next plantation…and that is what the President did by caving in. So, punk, if you want to sell your family down the river, be my guest. Tell me where every Democrat in the House and Senate are standing up and testifying for the President? It is time he stands up as an adult against the out-of-control children. Enough is enough!

• 185 Eleroy
              September 1, 2011 at 5:40 am

“Punk”, is that all you’ve got??!!!
              And from a 70 year old woman who ought to know better no less!!!

Thank God President Obama DOES NOT indulge in frivolous knee jerk responses and especially WILL and DOES NOT stoop to Ruch Limabaugh’s level – not even to please fickle supporters!!!

• 186 Eleroy
              September 1, 2011 at 5:43 am

That’s what the NAACP is for!!!

• 187 Chi
              September 1, 2011 at 6:07 am

Overseasgranny your post is confusing. Why are you blaming President Obama for the sins and failure of House & Senate Democrats? I refer to your statement //Tell me where every Democrat in the House and Senate are standing up and testifying for the President? // Snip.
              Since you acknowledge that this is the role of other Democrats, why are you so mad and treating President Obama no more respectfully than Rush Limbaugh?
              Where has the NAACP been since President Obama came into office? Why does President Obama have to do his job and everybody else’s?
              Take a step back and think this through before posting on a public forum. As President, Obama is reacting in a pitch perfect manner to bomb throwers who are eager to incite. He is the bigger and better man even if you don’t see it now.

September 1, 2011 at 8:40 am

Overseasgranny, The executive branch and legislative branch are co-equal branches of government, and the President does not dictate to congress when joint sessions are held. There has to be a mutually agreed upon date/time. Obama cannot “stand up” to congress, he has to cooperate WITH THEM.

Rather, John Boehner CAVED IN TO RUSH LIMBAUGH, when the speaker should have stood up to the radio talk show host. Limbaugh is not part of the government and Boehner owes him no deference on issues pertaining to congressional matters. Yet, after agreeing upon a time/day, Boehner reversed his decision at the behest of someone who is not even part of government!! So who really “caved in?” It was John Boehner – and that is where the disappointment and scorn should be deposited, not on President Obama.

• 190 edp4bho
              September 1, 2011 at 9:55 am

Overseasgranny, hopefully you have calmed down a bit at this hour. I was livid last night, but I now realize it was not PBO who deserved my disappointment; no, it is the political environment he is in, and the rules that he has to follow. What exactly, following the rules of congress, should he have done? It is what it is. I agree with you that this all should have been cemented before any announcement of a date was made, and I agree with hopefruit2, below, that it was the Bonehead who “caved” to the evil forces, and that needs to be said and spread. Nathkatun7 laid it out beautifully in that this is all semantics at this point. PBO still gets his day to talk to the American people, like adults, with “children” present for all to witness. All the hate speech yesterday combined with the shift in dates caused an uptick in the feeling of disenfranchisement, I’m sure for a lot of AAs, me included, but we acted out of our emotions, rather than a realization of the difficulty of governing in a volatile society. President Obama will always have my full support, regardless of the slings directed toward him, and rightly because of same. I ain’t disappointed, and I damn sure ain’t tired. I live to fight another day.

• 191 overseasgranny
                September 1, 2011 at 10:28 am

Thank you, Ed, You are the only one so far that gets most of it. I am still angry. I am angry first at how the announcement was handled. PBO has done this before and well knows the procedure. If he violated the rules himself, then shame on him because he knew better. If it was someone in his office telling PBO it was all set, they ought to quit never to return to any position of trust. But after that, the president’s response was poor and made him look like he was saying “Yes, Massa” and then scuttling back out to the field. He either should have been brave enough and bold enough to say I screwed this up, or call Boehner on his cave-in to Rush. He did neither. It was handled so badly and I know he has plenty of advisors around him to have done a whole lot better than he did. But beyond that, PBO should know a racial slur when he hears it and that should never be ignored, not for his sake but for every person of color in the US. I just cannot ignore that and pretend it didn’t happen. That is what I am not going to be able to get over. I went through too much shit in my life to let that pass and I owe it to my children and grand-children and those yet to come to not let it pass. I am furious with the Dems in Congress for not having this man’s back, but perhaps he has angered them, too, past the point where they want to stand up if there is no support coming back from him. And what I feel about every Republican cannot be typed here. I inherited an Irish temper and it will take me a long while to calm down, but believe me, I have a long memory and this fuck-up is not going to be forgotten. We have a growing mountain of racial slurs that cannot be ignored.

• 192 edp4bho
                  September 1, 2011 at 10:55 am

For what it’s worth, og, I cannot agree with you on some things, not that you are asking me too…..I get that. But, you are still operating from an emotional state rather than looking at the very reasonable and astute comments made herein, especially relating to the role of congress, its rules, etc. Also, I do not believe that PBO should be the one to do a smackdown on racist behavior. If he were to even begin such, he would be engaging this 24/7, the duration of his term, and possibly into the next. So what if we have racist people controlling the airwaves……they were there before and will be there for time indeterminate. They own the damn airwaves. Is this what a president is elected to do, or is this not something that other elected officials and civil rights leaders should take up? What do we elect local and state officials to do…what about justices? The list is endless. Racism will not end unless we the people stand and fight against it. We elected a President of the US, not of black people, not of brown people, not of minorities, the poor…..a President for all the people, and yes, even stinking ass Limpballs, who cannot accept that he is his president as well. You are a mature woman….I trust that you can get past this. IMO, President Obama only looked weak and his response poor only to those who are not cognizant of the real fight that is going on, and that is the fight for people, not optics. I was a bit dismayed, but I realize it was all about transferrance, i.e., my emotions of the day in relation to how I want my President to look to me, as a black man. I realize also, that this is not just about me. It’s about getting something done. We will see who looks weak and petty in the end.

• 193 prettyfoot58
              September 1, 2011 at 10:58 am

Overseasgranny….

I do know very much how you feel….it has brought me to tears so many times at the disrespect levied at the President because of the color of his skin…

it reminds me of the stories that my grandmother would me tell of traveling from Philadelphia to Atlanta…of having to carry a jar to urinate in because there were no rest stops for colored (her words) people…of having to take a cooler full of food because there were no rest stops that would allow her to eat there…

I do understand the anger and the out and out rage that you feel because I feel it in my breast as well…just as I know that the President does…

Never in the history of this country has a President’s request to speak in front of Congress been denied….but then this is indeed a historic presidency…

However…..

The President had a greater battle to fight for …JOBS….The Economy….The Future….

Is he is the only one interested in doing anything about it?

Are the Democrats who send me email on a daily basis asking for donations?
              Are the so-called liberal purists, who bash PBO at every turn…
              Are the so-called Black Leaders elected or other wise, who should know better….

I wonder?

Overseasgranny….

Just as our ancestors did…we keep on keeping on…as the Negro Spiritual says “Keeping our eyes on Freedom”…We must keep our eyes on the prize….we can not allow the racists to steal our spirit or to define who we are…

YES WE CAN
              YES WE WILL
              THE STRUGGLE CONTINUES

• 195 Eleroy
      September 1, 2011 at 4:30 am

By the way, President Carter was anything but weak!!! If this country had listened to that man, we would not be in the bind we are in today!!! Aoll his progressive policies were poo poo’d by the very same people who are still up to their tricks spreading discontent and their manipulative and dangerous memes!!!

• 196 edp4bho
        September 1, 2011 at 9:39 am

Agreed. He was the first I voted for. Good man. Too many are still not ready for change, yet the whole world is changing around them.

55. September 1, 2011 at 7:02 am

That’s the way I feel about it too, after all the man is he dealing with FOOLS.

56. 198 halo
    September 1, 2011 at 7:10 am

Why does he do this?! Why does he cave on optics!?

• 199 edp4bho
      September 1, 2011 at 9:34 am

Halo, please read the comments of nathkatun7 above. Very sensible, and it helped me a great deal.

• 200 Chi
      September 1, 2011 at 9:53 am

As if on cue…

Miss Sunshine magically shows up…

Thinks she knows better than the President of the United States…

Can’t resist the urge to insult and demean…

Employing borrowed language & memes of those who clearly seek to diminish…

• 201 Janelle
        September 1, 2011 at 10:02 am

I know right? So true Chi, right on cue. It doesn’t bother me anymore because I’ve come to realize that most of the PL and emoprogs caved on the President within a matter of a few months after he was elected. They don’t have a spine of steel and are projecting their weakness on the President.

• 202 Chi
          September 1, 2011 at 11:08 am

Janelle dear, isn’t that the truth…

Everybody projecting their insecurities, emotional baggage & shortcomings on President Obama…

I marvel at his discipline, decency and quiet strength…

I am in complete and constant awe of the man…

He is the epitome of humanity at its best and most evolved…

President Obama is dignity and grace personified…

And yet incredibly, to the myopic and the blind…

The rarest and most admirable of traits as embodied by this great man, are cast as flaws and summarily & dismissed as negatives…

57. 204 prettyfoot58
    September 1, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Thank YOU….edp4bho
    A MUST READ!!!!!
    What the Boehner-Obama speechgate flap is really about
    Today’s Republicans, who have been overrun by a hardcore tea party faction in addition to the resurgent religious right, have made the calculation that there is literally no bottom — and no level of disrespect so great that they will pay a price with white independents. They seem to have decided that there is nothing they can do to Barack Obama that will stop them winning in 2012, because they believe, based on 2010, that there are far more people, including independents, who hate Barack Obama for organic reasons that go beyond policy, and go to his person than the polling indicates. It’s pretty clear that Republicans have decided that they can so demonize Barack Obama the person, and raise enough questions about him in the minds of white independents, that the increased zeal their attacks produce among the tea party base will offset any indie backlash and put, say, a Rick Perry over the top, even over the objections of the middle.

@POTUS