Oct

‘obama’s donor base: still robust’

Don’t know if you remember a piece in the New York Times last month by Nicholas Confessore titled ‘Small Donors Are Slow to Return to the Obama Fold’:

“They were once among President Obama’s most loyal supporters and a potent symbol of his political brand: voters of moderate means who dug deep for the candidate and his message of hope and change, sending him $10 or $25 or $50 every few weeks or months. But in recent months, the frustration and disillusionment that have dragged down Mr. Obama’s approval ratings have crept into the ranks of his vaunted small-donor army, underscoring the challenges he faces as he seeks to rekindle grass-roots enthusiasm for his re-election bid.”

After yesterday’s third quarter figures it’ll be, eh, interesting to see if Confessore does a follow-up piece.

As Adam Sorensen (Time) put it: ” ….. The precise breakdown for the third quarter won’t be available for another few days, but there’s enough out there to tell us that the small-dollar donors have not, in fact, been “Slow to Return to the Obama Fold.” According to the Obama campaign, some 600,000 people gave to the cause during this last reporting period at an average of $56 per donation. In the prior quarter, there were around 550,000 donors giving an average of $69. When the campaign filed with FEC, that worked out to be $22 million given in increments of $200 or less, almost half of the total haul.

Some context is in order. Consider this: Mitt Romney, the GOP’s fundraising juggernaut, claimed just 6% of his second-quarter intake from small-dollar donors. And during his groundswell campaign in 2007, then Senator Obama made headlines by drawing a little less than a third of his $33 million second-quarter haul from donations less than $200. Now Obama’s up around 50%.”

(Thanks Loriah)

147 Responses to “‘obama’s donor base: still robust’”

1. October 14, 2011 at 8:31 am

Today may be the day he hits 1 million

watch the donation counter spin.

• 2 dotster3
      October 14, 2011 at 8:45 am

That is cool, the donations are rolling in by the second, all those people who don’t like Obama are donating to his campaign! It’s CRA—ZEE!

October 14, 2011 at 8:32 am

Nicholas Confessore ……. you can SUCK IT! You can SUCK IT with your lies, you can SUCK IT with your untruths, you can SUCK IT with your misinformation, you can SUCK IT with your hit piece that tried to demoralize PBO’s supporters……… and finally you can SUCK IT because I said so.

3. 9 rikyrah
    October 14, 2011 at 8:38 am

can you all tweet Confessore to see if there will be a followup article?

4. October 14, 2011 at 8:47 am

Retail sales rose 1.1% in September, topped estimates of .7% gain.

5. 13 cuphalffull
    October 14, 2011 at 8:51 am

This is great. I signed on this month to a regular donation (small dollar amount) to be charged to my credit card. I like the methodology, the transparency, the accountability and the ease with which one can adjust or cancel this if need be. I also think it helps to move the resources for soliciting donations to where they can do the most good. I also like that small donors are valued. That’s never happened to me before.

One thing that is not being counted because there is no metric for this is the hugely valuable contributions from thousands of OFA volunteers in the donation of their time in a way that builds a lasting foundation in communities but also the improvisation to create events, create communication networks, and develop skills and talents within the expanding ranks. Resourcefulness in using whatever is available to its maximum so that dollars are stretched in incredible ways is our forte. For example we have scouted out our area for all the venues that we can legitimately use for our events where there is minimal or no cost at all. We potluck at events that we hold, reuse signs that we have obtained years ago now, print materials as we need them in quantities where there will be no waste, form phone call networks that mean more local calls and not long distance, use word of mouth in our community to do messaging which requires no advertizing budget, use the letter to the editor and the community calendar whenever possible to make issue statements or to announce our efforts.

In other words we know how to stretch every dollar, to maximize whatever we put in as resources ourselves, to find every way to generate momentum that is basically free before we ever consider spending money. I don’t know how one would quantify this but it is the real untold story of the OFA movement.

• 14 Betty's Girl
      October 14, 2011 at 9:09 am

I too signed mothly payments this year. I had always donated but felt nervous putting my financial info on there. But damn it feel so good to be apart of disputing their lies. I feel like I personally knock the hell out of Joe S. all the other liars.

• 15 prettyfoot58
      October 14, 2011 at 9:11 am

Wow…..FANTASTIC

• 16 Smilingl8dy
      October 14, 2011 at 12:55 pm

What a a great post! I completely agree. Last time we used member’s frequent flyer miles, un-used motorcycles & cars, basement floors, residents 4 showerg and a hot meal sometime. 1000s of food trays were delivered to local offices and McDonald gift cards. It would really be great to develp an in-kind chart and cost it out.

6. October 14, 2011 at 8:51 am

+############### ++++ +++++###########++
    +###############++++++#++############++
    +################+++++#++############++

• 18 donna dem 4 obama
      October 14, 2011 at 9:07 am

ROCK!!!!!!

Thank you soooo much for your help with the fundraiser last month

You and your 20,000 twitter followers are AWESOME!!!!

• 19 utaustinliberal
      October 14, 2011 at 9:20 am

Yes We Are Rock! Fired Up and Ready To Go!!!! Thanks for all you do for the TOD family on Twitter. You’re a champ. 😀
      We are going to CRUSH the opposition. What they don’t understand is that not only do we have money; we have what counts the most: PEOPLE. Volunteers, Fall Fellows, Neighborhood Leaders, People who canvass the neighborhood spreading the achievements and accomplishments of PBO. That’s what truly matters. PEOPLE. People who are pumped up, people who are energized, people who are passionate, people who are willing to sacrifice energy and time over and over again for a cause that is righteous, people who though they may be disabled in some form or another are particpating; they make calls, they work internet contacts, they send emails. What we have is an organized grounds swell of people who are not going to be stopped or pushed back. We have PEOPLE and that’s what matters. That’s what the other side, the media, and the emoprogs will NEVER understand. We have PEOPLE.

• 22 JoJothecat
      October 14, 2011 at 10:03 am

All I can say is “Solid as Ba-Rock”.

• 23 TrumpDog
      October 14, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Agreed. Tigerfists88 ROCKS!!!!

7. 24 joyce
    October 14, 2011 at 9:01 am

We are so blessed to be a part of history. We have the greatest president in our lives and of this country and we love him like no other. May God continue to protect him and his family.

8. 25 Betty's Girl
    October 14, 2011 at 9:03 am

I made the mistake of watching Morning Joke for about 5 min this morning. I stopped watching over a year ago but even I was stunned by the spinning of the President’s fundraising. They had some dude on there from Politico who went all the way back to comparing Obama to Bush’s fundraising. Apparently, Bush raised 72 million to Obama 70 million in the third quarter so Obama is still in trouble. I found myself laughing at them until Joe S. just went down right dirty and stupid. According to him, Mika and Donnie Deutsch they spoken to many big Dems fundraisers who has now gone to the other side. Don’t sound like Dems to me but basically people who switch every election cycle to get what they want. I can’t wait for Nov 2012 just to see Joe S. defeated and deflated like Nov 2008.

• October 14, 2011 at 9:19 am

Just read the new poll Obama down by eight to a generic Repub.
      What junk!!

October 14, 2011 at 10:37 am

The generic Repub who doesn’t and NEVER will exist….

Have they asked how well the REAL candidates compare next to that flawless generic Repub candidate?

I would imagine that the REAL GOP candidates are down by double digits to that amazing, fictitious “generic” Repub!!!

• October 14, 2011 at 10:29 am

Switch to what side? They are disappointed in Pres. Obama so they switch to the Republican party? give me a break. He probably spoke to two people.

• October 14, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Or any. They make shit up just to try and bring down PBO. All of it just backfires, though..makes people want to donate more. roflmao!

9. October 14, 2011 at 9:04 am

It never stop to amaze me how amazed they are .Every. Freaking. Time. You’d think they would learn by now.

10. 33 prettyfoot58
    October 14, 2011 at 9:08 am

Goooooooood Morning..TODers….

The Republicans have rolled out a JOBs plan…their plan contains more of the same…lower taxes on the wealthy…lower taxes on the Corporations…and of course it does not address…the unemployment situation….

63% of Americans are in favor of the components of the President’s Jobs Bill…

but yanno…i am glad that the Republicans have rolled out their jobs bill….it brings into sharp focus …who is on the side of the American People….

on another note…i attended the grand opening of the OBAMA/BIDEN 2012 campaign office, here in philly….it was
    packed wall to wall with folks….and there was a tangible energy….almost ELECTRIC 😀 …i was glad to be there….

The Struggle continuesssss…

• 34 Ladyhawke
      October 14, 2011 at 9:38 am

The truly farcical ‘Jobs Through Growth Act’

==================================

I suppose Senate Republicans deserve at least some credit for making an effort. The congressional GOP has largely ignored the jobs crisis, so the fact that Sens. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), John McCain (R-Ariz.), and Rand Paul (R-Ky.) have put together the “Jobs Through Growth Act,” is at least marginally constructive.

The problem is with the “plan” itself.

What do Senate Republicans want to do to give employment a boost? Cut taxes, approve a balanced budget amendment to the U.S. Constitution, eliminate the entirety of the Affordable Care Act, eliminate the entirety of Wall Street reform safeguards, blocking EPA enforcement of clean air measures, and a tax repatriation holiday for international corporations.
      The intellectual bankruptcy of the Republican Party is just astounding. It has no new ideas, no constructive solutions, no creativity, no depth of thought, no intellectual consistency, no recollection of their own failures, no understanding of economic policy, and no access to calculators.

• October 14, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Prettyfoot–Was there any discussion about how to combat Corbett’s electoral vote election rigging plan? Someone from OFA said that they were working to fight it. Any news on that front?

11. 36 Mary Gray
    October 14, 2011 at 9:11 am

Just keep writing to Sarbucks to complain about MJ. I like my mental health too much to watch that little pr…

October 14, 2011 at 9:17 am

Morning everyone:) I have an idea for this guy, and every other “journalist” out there.Why don’t you all NOT worry so much about PBO and his fundraising( because it kicks ass) and instead focus on the ridiculous posers running to have the chance to debate him…thus getting humiliated in front of a nation of millions, and a world of billions! How about that? Focus on the lies and the flip flops that happen hourly….and oh, when you’re done investigating and writing about that…you can ALL find yourselves some honesty and integrity…AND USE THEM TO DO YOUR JOBS!

October 14, 2011 at 9:24 am

I don’t need to tell all of you not to wait for that correction from him. Won’t happen.Not admitting their mistakes/when they are wrong, is a distinct character trait.

• 40 dotster3
        October 14, 2011 at 9:42 am

What the GOP and all their minions in the media are doing is engaging in the old tired Rove trick——-take your party/candidate’s weakness and accuse your opponent of the same. No one really likes any of the Repub candidates, there’s absolutely no enthusiasm for any of them, and so they begin this campaign, this false meme, that no one likes Obama. Against all evidence to the contrary.

13. 43 donna dem 4 obama
    October 14, 2011 at 9:18 am

Good Morning TOD,

One of the things that OFA has asked us fundraisers to do is to recruit new fundraisers. I would like to challenge the TOD family to see if we can get 15 of our bloggers who would setup a fundraiser thermometer and each of them get 5 donations this month. We can have money bombs (if Chips is okay with this) on designated days which are a lot of fun. Its almost like an online money party where you get fellow supporters to donate to your page.

It’s a simple thing that you can do that has tremendous impact on the campaign and even our overseas followers can be fundraisers (they just cannot donate). Some of us are going through financial distress and cannot donate so again this is a way for you to participate and help the campaign.

We would call ourselves the TOD Fundraising Crew and we would challenge ourselves every month with a goal of a certain number of donations to accumulate each month.

I’d love to get some feedback. Its okay if the blog community would rather not but I thought I would just throw it out there.

• October 14, 2011 at 9:52 am

Donna, since we had a lot of fun with this idea on OFA, you know I’m 100% behind it. We could even have our silly trivia games that make it more fun. I think it’s a good way to build involvement without a lot of stress on individuals. Chips’ TOD fund can be included. I think together we could be quite a force! In fact, we’ve already proved that, thanks to you.

• October 14, 2011 at 10:48 am

I remember those trivia games from back in ’07/ 08 -that was a lot of fun.. I think I even won once or twice 😉

Do you all remember the quilt we created & ‘auctioned’ off to raise funds- via the OFA site? A woman in Chicago won it.. it was so so beautiful

• 46 donna dem 4 obama
          October 14, 2011 at 10:55 am

Yes I do! The Quilters were wonderful! It was a lot of fun. I hope people here at TOD decide to participate.

• October 14, 2011 at 10:59 am

Oh, that quilt and so many other projects just blew my mind. The sense of community and camaraderie and contribution was off the charts. I’ve heard PBO say that he knows the glow has worn off, but I still think we will have an incredible campaign. We’re going to surprise everybody.

• October 14, 2011 at 12:45 pm

You know it was meta, the comraderie on the OFA site was unbelievable.. it was what motivated me to be able to go knock on doors (aside from Barack himself 🙂 But we had a lot of fun on that site didn’t we? Remember the night that Palin spoke at the repub convention and how intense we were- how we donated like mad after listening to that maniac?

• October 14, 2011 at 1:58 pm

When he says that the glow has worn off, I want to scream a big NO. Some people may crumble and not put in as much effort, but I honestly think that there are enough young people who have come of age in the last three years who will more than make up for their numbers. Also a lot of states have experienced life under far right wing governors for the first time and they are NOT happy. Whether they work hard for the campaign or not, they’re going to think twice about voting Republican. And all those grumbling Democrats? Are they going to vote for Romney or Perry when it comes down to filling in their ballots. Please. I don’t care how they “feel” when they cast their vote for PBO, I just want them to cast it.

• 50 mb32
            October 14, 2011 at 4:26 pm

The glow has already worn off only for the fair weather people. The rest of love and respect him just as much or maybe more with a lil more empathy because of the amount of *ish he’s had to deal with. One reason I love this site is the level of excitement and Passion…even if we’re just looking at pics of him getting off a plane 😀

One thing I will never forget is standing on the Midway in Hyde Park when PBO was giving one of the last rallies before the 2010 elections. He looked so tired. And he said I know some of you are disappointed…he couldn’t even finish the sentence because the crowd of about 30,000 was roaring NOOO! It kinda shocked me and relieved me to hear that fervor because I’d been told by MSM that all Dems were disappointed.

Despite that bad election I always remember the passion of that crowd. And as the many photos Chips has posted since show, we Chicagoans are not the only ones who feel that way…so glad. As a matter of fact I wouldn’t be surprised if President Lee was a lurker on TOD too 😀

• October 14, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Hey……I’m a quilter…….I’d be very up for that!

• October 14, 2011 at 12:40 pm

The quilt was AMAZING… a woman in Arizona set it up- she too was AMAZING.. I have her name in my emails somewhere.. I am sure she’s still on OFA. What she did was post on OFA for anyone who quilted to join her group- Quilters for Obama.. I don’t quilt or even sew.. but my mother does, so I joined the group. Each person who joined then created 6 or 8 squares.. and we all sent them to the lady in AZ.. she then sewed all the squares, we each paid some additional $$ for her to put it together, etc.. and it was gorgeous, I mean truly stunning.. and it was all about Barack Obama. We weren’t allowed to do an actual auction, against OFA / donation rules.. so it was just a matter of the highest donation amount by a certain date.. and it seems to me it was over $2000-3000 . A woman in Chicago won it- very fitting we believed being from POTUS’s hometown. The last news I got was that she was interviewed… and that the Quilt itself was donated to the Chicago Museum.. don’t quote me on that, because I’m not sure if I have the museum name right or not. I had pictures of it in all it’s stages.. but when my harddrive on my other computer got infected.. I lost everything.. I’m going to go through my old emails though and see if I have some of the photos in the emails.

So a few folks working together can be amazing~

• 53 prettyfoot58
      October 14, 2011 at 10:08 am

I would love to do this….show me how to set up….

• October 14, 2011 at 10:22 am

GREAT! You can get started here:

First you’ll have to set up an account at barackobama.com if you don’t already have one.
        Then it’s fairly easy to set up a fundraising page. Just follow the set up guide and pick an amount you want to raise. You can always raise or lower it if you want.
        When you set up your page, click on the button that says, “View Your Page.” That will be the URL you use to send out to bring people to your page.
        Let us know if you need any help.

• 56 djshay
      October 14, 2011 at 10:56 am

Hi Donna. I set up a fundraising page here http://djshay.me/n3wB4R I don’t have a car and this is best way I can think of to volunteer for OFA. What’s the best way to let ppl know about it? You did so well last quarter.

• October 14, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Hi Donna

I would be happy to help. I am also a quilter. I am so glad you sent this note, I had not wanted to “compete” with you so I had not set up fundraising. Now that you have asked us to join in it doesn’t seem “disloyal”. I look forward to your tips.

14. 61 FiredUpInCA
    October 14, 2011 at 9:20 am

The small donor story unravels the grassroots enthusiasm meme. And the new Time poll blows a hole through a few pundits pet memes:

“Most voters see Obama as tough enough to shepherd the U.S. through this rough patch (50% to 44%)…..” (The wimp, spineless meme is baseless)

“…and empathetic (59% to 37%) to the concerns of Americans like themselves…. ” (Sorry Tweety. Copious photographic evidence and this poll bury your meme of the aloof, professorial, loner. Fifty-nine percent of respondents wonder what planet you live on and which President are you watching.)

“By a 48% to 37% margin, respondents consider him a better President than his predecessor, George W. Bush…. (same as Bush? Not so much. Also Bush’s approval numbers were not as high as President Obama’s at the same point in his presidency.)

“For Democrats, the silver lining in a gloomy series of electoral rebukes and legislative setbacks is that voters remain partial to their chief economic principles, at least compared to the alternatives.”

They have more than the public’s general favorability for their policies as a silver lining.

They have the most popular elected official in the country (and the world) as the leader of their party. You would think that they’d recognize that an alignment of the stars such as this does not come often — the most gifted orator in a generation, most empathetic, most trusted in economic issues, most successful foreign policy achievements, most historic legislation passed. Therefore, a wise person, who belongs to group of elected officials polling at 13%, would hitch their fortunes on the guy who is beating everybody in both parties. A wise person would do this. Tester and Nelson and others, not so much.

15. 66 donna dem 4 obama
    October 14, 2011 at 9:32 am

Updates from my OFA Conference Call last night.

We added 50,000 new volunteers just over the summer

We are opening 3 new campaign offices each week.

and of course the phenomenal news about having almost 1 million donors. BTW they laugh at the medias spin on our numbers…. 🙂

OFA is building a machine unseen before because we are going to be competing everywhere. We will have a force In states that we know the President has no shot at winning but OFA is still going to be working very hard on the down ticket candidates. Democratic Senators and Reps will be supported greatly by this army of volunteers.

• October 14, 2011 at 9:46 am

Everyone here is pumped up. The local conference calls have also turned a corner. More enthusiasm, more confidence. CA is safe, so we are all being asked to go to Reno, which HQ believes is a necessary battleground. I’ll bet money that when PBO comes out here again in 11 days, he’ll stop over in NV.

• 68 donna dem 4 obama
        October 14, 2011 at 9:51 am

Maryland is safe as well. They are gearing us up for the battle in PA, OH and VA. Kaine (Senate-VA) is very well liked in the state so having him on the ticket will get some of those much needed Indies over to our side but it is going to be a real battle to get those ’08 Virginia voters back to the polls with the same sense of urgency and enthusiasm.

• October 14, 2011 at 9:52 am

It. Will be close, Romney has huge support from Mormons and the president will get a lot of Hispanic support!

• October 14, 2011 at 10:11 am

Exactly. Reno is a wild place in terms of voters. I haven’t signed up to go yet because I have other things I have to focus on right now but it’s been made pretty clear that there will be a big push for us to hit the ground there.

• October 14, 2011 at 10:16 am

But I think I read somewhere that Romney isn’t going to put a lot of effort into NV? Anybody else hear that? If so, he’s making the classic mistake that McCain did. Because we all know PBO is running for the WHOLE COUNTRY.

• 72 prettyfoot58
      October 14, 2011 at 10:11 am

Amennnnnnnnnnnnnnn……Presssssssssssssss ON……PA…opened it’s state headquarters …right here in Philly….

• October 14, 2011 at 10:51 am

Donna- that is amazing.. the 50000 new volunteers and offices opening every week. This this this!! Thanks for sharing the news ~

• 74 TrumpDog
      October 14, 2011 at 1:34 pm

That will be KEY; down ticket races.
      Not to mention the House and the Senate.
      We have to get the keys to the House back. Really really important! They should not have been given to the GOP in the first place. I hope all the people that were upset the president did not sing them lull-a-byes each night before going to sleep have woken up!

16. 75 Ladyhawke
    October 14, 2011 at 9:33 am

THE CONTINUING REPUBLICAN WAR ON AMERICA

==========================================

Way back on March 14 we first published a list of thirty pieces of Republican legislation “that Republicans are using to destroy America” and called it “The Dirty Thirty.” That original list has been updated several times and grown significantly.

October 14, 2011 at 10:01 am

We ARE kindred spirits:)

• 77 taiping1
      October 14, 2011 at 10:05 am

This is a chilling summary of how extreme GOP is. I’ve bookmarked and tweeted this. Our future if we don’t organize for a strong democratic Congress, President Obama’s reelection. Think of a conservative Supreme Court for the next generation.

17. 78 Mary Gray
    October 14, 2011 at 9:33 am

Right now you can contribute at OFA and some one will match your contribution. Great way to double your giving. Even $5 helps and becomes $19o Also you can choose to match some yourself. This also helps to get to the one million mark. That ahould be a scary number. Individual contributions tanslate into votes. $4 millions given by two PAC doesn’t translate to many votes. Lets hit one million today. It is the grass roots support that scares the bastards.

• 79 taiping1
      October 14, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Also a million small donors can give again, and again, and again. I hope the president continues to go to the states: when he is on the road you can see the enthusiasm of the people who come to the events. I don’t recall any president ever eliciting such excitement. I know I have never been as involved or dedicated to a president (voting since 1968) as President Obama. He has an integrity and sympathy for people that is rarely seen. No wonder the media and establishment try to take him down. He is too real, not cynical, and does not play their games.

• 81 Me4obama
      October 14, 2011 at 9:48 am

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Meta you made my morning. Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Eat your heart out Media bastards bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Less than he raised last time bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Less than Rick Perry bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaj

• October 14, 2011 at 9:55 am

I know, right? I can’t wipe this smile off my face for nothin’!!!!!!!!!!

Now, let’s see what Perry and Cain come up with. BWWAHAHAAAAA!!!!!!!!

IN THE DUST.

And you know, PBO is ramping up his fundraising. Hollywood + Latinos are throwing him another fundraiser. He’s coming back to the Bay Area so maybe there’s another Silicon Valley event. He’s on a tear right now, I tell ya!!

• October 14, 2011 at 10:05 am

On CNN cain said he has several hundred thousand dollars and perry raised 17 million.

• 84 Me4obama
            October 14, 2011 at 10:12 am

😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 The GOP “front runner” has several hundred thousand dollars 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 I can’t breath, ROFLMAO. This is what I needed. FIRED UP.

• October 14, 2011 at 10:15 am

BLAHAHWAHOOTYBLAHHHHWAAHAAASSSS!

• 86 PoliticalJunkessa
              October 14, 2011 at 10:26 am

Yeah, I knew the money wasn’t flowing to him. So no matter how many polls he tops, he will definitely not be the nominee. He’s their court jester for the minute, their entertainment. But no way in hell are the money bags gonna support Uncle Herm.

• October 14, 2011 at 10:49 pm

I’ve read in several places today that Huntsman is having serious money problems, too.

• 88 donna dem 4 obama
      October 14, 2011 at 9:53 am

Wow I think (without reading the article) that this is less than he raised in the 2Q and hasn’t he been running for President for like 5 years? He should have a gazillion dollars by now you would think. 🙂

• 89 utaustinliberal
      October 14, 2011 at 9:55 am

Hahahahahahahaha sucks for you Willard. Guess the mittmentum isn’t as it seems. All flash – as flash as Mitt can be – and no substance. Even Perry who’s been having a horrendous 3 weeks raised $17M and he hasn’t been campaigning for the office of Presidency for years. I bet if you look at the breakdown of Willard’s fundraising, you’d find that small donors are minute and he got the majority of his money from his Bain Capital and Co buddies.

• 90 FiredUpInCA
        October 14, 2011 at 10:05 am

“The campaign collected donations from nearly 56,000 people, 83% of whom gave small-dollar donations of $250 or less.”

I find this claim very hard to believe, since that’s not the kind of donor his campaign is appealing to. Maybe it’s bundlers who broke up their contributions in to small donations. I don’t know. It would not be the first time Romney’s campaign fed a misrepresentation to the press about his fundraising and they printed it verbatim.

• October 14, 2011 at 10:14 am

Well, if it’s true, it’s also interesting to think about what it says about his so-called big donors. PBO has a lot of people ponying up the VIP tickets at $38K or whatever it is. CA is a huge cash cow for him.

• 92 FiredUpInCA
            October 14, 2011 at 10:22 am

I don’t know what to make of it because it’s just confusing. On the one hand the story is all the big Wall Street donors have abandoned President Obama in favor or Mitt Romney. Yet his numbers for last quarter are lower than his previous quarter, and they are lower than President Obama’s and even Gov. Perry. On top of that 83% of the contributions were supposedly in increments under $250. Where’s the Wall Street money? Something doesn’t add up.

October 14, 2011 at 10:43 am

I don’t believe it. In the last (2nd Quarter), Romney’s “small donor” contributions made up ~6% of his total donations. How could it suddenly jump from 6% to 83% in less than 4 months? Somebody is LYING.

I also believe that some from the OWS with nefarious motives have been trying to set up the false meme that President Obama’s donations come mostly from large corporate donors on Wall Street – and many emoprogs are secretely rooting for Romney, so it is not at all impossible that they may have encouraged him to fudge the sources of his donations….

• October 15, 2011 at 7:29 am

My guess is that some of it may be employees of his various enterprises, and another part may be fellow Mormons who are probably being urged to give in a “we must elect one of our own” drive. That will be interesting to see-will fellow Mormons do more than give a little, or will they do the footwork too? They must not have done all that much the last time, and even a modest effort should have seen Romney amass at least a reasonable-sized war chest over several years. It’s not as if Romney took off to run a state or had to return to Congress or run a re-election campaign between now and 2004. I bet an Obama second try would have found him with several hundred million to start off if he had a 4-year start.

• October 14, 2011 at 10:44 am

I agree. I think we’re all seeing that Romney’s support is very, very soft. I think he’s got the big money men sitting on the sidelines right now to see how the primaries unfold. I do believe they’ll jump in fairly soon because they are frightened by the clueless clowns, too. They will soon admit don’t have any other choice but to get behind Romney.

• 96 Me4obama
          October 14, 2011 at 10:17 am

You are absolutely right FiredUp CA, Romney last quarter LIED that. He raised $10M in one day, imagine if PBO raised 14M the Press would be eating him alive. Wait until PBO lands his IRON FIST on his Flip Flopping.

• 98 prettyfoot58
        October 14, 2011 at 10:19 am

although the Repub candidates may not have raised much money..be on the look out for those nameless organizations who will spend millions of dollars on ads to defeat the president….who will spend millions of dollars to finance campaigns defeat democrats on the state and federal level….and to target moderate repubs….

• October 14, 2011 at 9:55 am

And they will spin it that he is a juggernaught.
      Btw: the President has lost his wall street support, mostly going to Romney.
      That is actually a good thing and a talking point.

• 101 JoJothecat
      October 14, 2011 at 10:10 am

Mittens better reach into his own pocket. His kids and Meg Whitmans kids can compare stories how their parents spent their inheritance.

• October 14, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Not only PBO did raise 5 times of what mittens did, more importantly, mittens’ grass-root support is around 55 K while PBO’s is 12 times that no. this quarter alone.

18. 106 Ladyhawke
    October 14, 2011 at 9:52 am

Hilarious……roflamo

Fact Check! Herman Cain’s Ice Cream Meltdown

19. October 14, 2011 at 10:15 am

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and House Minority Whip Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) this week officially lent their support to President Obama’s American Jobs Act by signing up as cosponsors to the bill on Thursday. But the addition of Pelosi and Hoyer brings the total sponsorship to just three members of the House, more than a month after Obama proposed it and after weeks of urging Congress to approve it.

House Democratic Caucus Chairman John Larson (D-Conn.) introduced Obama’s bill on September 21, about two weeks after Obama’s September 8 address on jobs to a joint session of Congress. The House bill is H.R. 12.

• 110 prettyfoot58
      October 14, 2011 at 10:21 am

Looks like we need to push our reperesentatives to sign up….

tell the water is fine…come on in…

• 111 prettyfoot58
        October 14, 2011 at 10:45 am

Sent an email off to Congressman Fattah…asking him to co-sponsor the bill…he stated on his website that he was in favor of the bill…sooooooo put your money where your mouth is…

20. 112 57andFemale
    October 14, 2011 at 10:15 am

The original Confessore article was disingenuous, at best. Fact: THERE IS NO CONTEST FOR THE DEMOCRATIC NOMINATION. Although the campaign has begun, the campaign has not actually begun. I think about it, with medical bills and veterinary bills and business expenses. I will donate much more as the campaign heats up than I am donating a year and a half before the election.

In 2007, there was a heated contest. In context, the third quarter numbers are astronomical and should be the headlines on every news show and every American newspaper.

Oh, and Confessore flat out lied. That’s what passes for news coverage in American politics.

21. 113 Ladyhawke
    October 14, 2011 at 10:16 am

VIDEO: From our hero “Minority Leader” Nancy Pelosi

House Republicans Continue Their Assault on Women’s Health

House Democrats believe we should be spending time on jobs legislation–like the American Jobs Act to create 1.9 million jobs or the bipartisan China currency legislation to create more than 1 million jobs. Instead, House Republicans are pursuing their ideological agenda bringing H.R. 358 to the House floor today–an unprecedented and dangerous assault on women’s access to health care. The legislation:

22. October 14, 2011 at 10:27 am

OMG, more fun!

@billburton
    In 77 of 81 natl polls, Romney has remained under 25% is.gd/r0nBVO (ATTN: @fivethirtyeight)

• 116 Me4obama
      October 14, 2011 at 10:35 am

😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 meta stop it 😆 😆 😆 😆 Thank you Bill Burton. Funny thing MR. 1% has the NERVE to Protest a debate next week in Nevada.

23. 117 FiredUpInCA
    October 14, 2011 at 10:31 am

“But in recent months, the frustration and disillusionment that have dragged down Mr. Obama’s approval ratings have crept into the ranks of his vaunted small-donor army, underscoring the challenges he faces as he seeks to rekindle grass-roots enthusiasm for his re-election bid.”

This guy has no clue. The only widespread frustration is not being able to give as much as last time if you’re income stream has changed dramatically since 2008. He makes up a lie and then makes up a causal link for his lie.

24. 119 Jessica
    October 14, 2011 at 10:31 am

I haven’t donated nearly as much as I should. I’d say I’ve donated about $85 since early September (including some purchases from OFA store). I’m happy with these numbers but I’m definitely going to kick it up next year.

25. 120 Ladyhawke
    October 14, 2011 at 10:35 am

MEDIA MATTERS REPORTS

=======================

1) Why Republicans Are Wrong About Wall Street And The Financial Crisis

2) Private Wall Street Companies Caused The Financial Crisis — Not Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac Or The Community Reinvestment Act

October 14, 2011 at 10:36 am

CHIPS!! More GEORGE!!! (The good one:) He’s one of us:) 🙂 And a DAMN nice way to start my day! Thought I’d share…..

• 122 utaustinliberal
      October 14, 2011 at 11:07 am

Thanks soooooooo much for this desertflower. George Clooney is a STAUNCH Obamacrat. He stuck by President Obama during Rick Stengel’s questions, not once; but multiple times. He called out his so called liberal progressive friends who instead of touting and selling President Obama’s transformative legislative accomplishments, pick one minute issue and beat PBO over the head with it. He called out the right for becoming so extreme that the left is basically the only center aka sane voters we have in this country. Love love love George.

27. 124 anniebella
    October 14, 2011 at 10:38 am

Have anyone heard about the Senate jobs bill? I think it was release yesterday?

28. 129 JER
    October 14, 2011 at 10:39 am

Air Force One Readying For Departure to Michigan: http://www.ustream.tv/cbsnews

29. 130 Me4obama
    October 14, 2011 at 10:43 am

OT completely, I just read on Twitter that an HIV Positive man is asking a police officer to go get tested because he thinks he might have infected him when he was resisting arrest. The protestor claims they sratched each other and lots of blood came out of him and also he claims to have been hit hard he lost his earrings which also caused a lot of bleeding.

October 14, 2011 at 10:54 am

No wonder Morning Joke and crew are having a historic meltdown. They would rather distract themselves and others with trivialities around PBO than provide facts about their Republican friends

// Back-of-the-envelope math suggests Bachmann’s receipts for the period may be down over the second quarter, when she raised $4.2 million. By comparison, GOP presidential rival Rick Perry raised $17 million during the third quarter, and President Obama, fundraising in conjuction with the Democratic National Committee, pulled in $70 million. Bachmann’s poll ratings have plummeted since Perry’s entrance into the race and her former campaign manager, Ed Rollins, has said it hurt her fundraising. Rollins has since left the campaign, along with several other senior staffers //

31. 132 Dakota
    October 14, 2011 at 11:00 am

Just found out that the fundraiser in Cali on October 25th will be at the home of Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith. Very Cool!

• 133 Dakota
      October 14, 2011 at 11:10 am

UPDATE: The Smith’s will be co-hosting the fundraiser at the home of “Hitch” producer John Lassiter. Still very cool.

• 135 utaustinliberal
      October 14, 2011 at 11:20 am

Yes! Yes! Yes! Big Willie himself. Mr. Men In Black, Mr. I Am Legend, Mr. Hancock, Mr 7 Pounds, Mr. Ali, Mr. Independence Day, Mr. Enemy of the State, Mr. Pursuit of Happyness and on and on and on…….. sooooooooooo STOKED! 😀

32. 137 Fred
    October 14, 2011 at 11:05 am

good morning TOD family

suck on it doubters

33. October 14, 2011 at 11:12 am

Apparently, Rachel had a segment last night about a certain Florida county that will no longer have cloudier in their water. The right wing county board says it dumbs down people-(Huh?).
    Moreover, the county, Pinellas County- is my County.

Yikes!!!

34. 143 Mae who love our CIC
    October 14, 2011 at 12:02 pm

The Repubs are worry about the small donors because a donation means a vote; therefore if you invest in our President’s re-election surely you will not neglect to vote for him.

• October 14, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Thats exactly right Mae.. we represent VOTES, we’re the real deal not some Koch Brothers billionaire’s PAC- and we will be putting our votes where we put our $$ 🙂

On that note- heres the email out this morning from OFA- I’m sure many of you already got it.. but for those that haven’t yet… this IS a good day to donate:

Sheri —

Just six days before the last fundraising deadline, one major newspaper ran a story under the headline “Small donors are slow to return to the Obama fold.”

You and a whole lot of other supporters turned that headline upside down. Today we filed a report with the FEC that shows this movement isn’t just as strong as ever — it’s growing.

Sometimes the media gets so caught up in its own echo chamber that the storyline separates from the facts.

The great thing about building a grassroots organization based outside of Washington is that the press won’t decide what happens here — you will.

In fact, right now, just shy of 1 million people like you have taken ownership of this campaign by pitching in whatever they can afford.

You’re already going to be a part of that million — but there’s still something you can do to help get the campaign there today.

Promise to match a first-time grassroots supporter by making a donation today — and the new supporter we’ll match you with will join you as part of that first million. You can even write them a note.

No matter what happens in the inside-the-beltway media circus, or what the pundits are predicting, we’ve got to stay focused on building this campaign from the ground up, one grassroots donation at a time.

When each of us takes responsibility as a supporter, the combined impact sends a stronger message than any single newspaper story.

You can do that right now.

Promise to match a first-time supporter’s donation today and help the campaign get to 1 million:

Thanks,

Rufus

Rufus Gifford
      National Finance Director
      Obama for America

• 145 geegee
      October 14, 2011 at 8:40 pm

B.I.N.G.O.!!!!!!! 🙂

35. October 14, 2011 at 12:30 pm

You guys must have taken a dose of ‘funny’ pills today. You are killing me with
    laughter…especially Me4, meta and UT. Thanks for brightening my day by keeping