Nov

rise and shine

President Obama during a press conference at the conclusion of the APEC Summit in Kapolei, Hawaii, Nov. 13

Star Advertiser: President Barack Obama on Sunday declared the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit a success that will strengthen the U.S. economy, and he expressed gratitude to his hometown for hosting representatives from the 21 APEC nations.

…. “Usually when Michelle and I and our daughters come back to visit, it’s just one president, and this time we brought 21. So thank you so much for the incredible graciousness of the people of Hawaii – and their patience, because I know that traffic got tied up a little bit.”

… while APEC took a toll on Oahu drivers, the meetings produced substantial results that will help strengthen relations throughout the Asia-Pacific, increase trade and help create jobs for Americans while promoting “green growth,” Obama said…..

Full article here

Today: The President holds a fundraiser in the morning. That will be his only event for the day before he leaves tomorrow morning for Canberra, Australia.

President Barack Obama and other leaders wait to move to the site of the official Family Photo at the APEC summit in Honolulu, Hawaii, Sunday, Nov. 13, 2011. From left: His Royal Highness Sultan of Brunei Hassanal Bolkiah; Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda of Japan; President Obama; President Dmitry Medvedev of Russia; Prime Minister Julia Gillard of Australia, and Prime Minister Stephen Harper of Canada. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

Washington Post: The Obama administration will announce Monday as much as $1 billion in funding to hire, train and deploy health-care workers, part of the White House’s broader “We Can’t Wait” agenda to bolster the economy after President Obama’s jobs bill stalled in Congress. Grants can go to doctors, community groups, local government and other organizations that work with patients in federal health-care programs such as Medicare and Medicaid…..

Full article here

EJ Dionne: ….. Cain and his defenders have settled on a strategy to rally conservatives by assailing the “liberal media” and “the Democrat machine.” Politico ran the first stories about the allegations, and to argue that Politico is “liberal” requires an extraordinary leap of the imagination. Most liberals see Politico as leaning over backward to give conservatives more than their share of journalistic spin.

…. that so many other members of a movement theoretically devoted to traditional values on sexual matters would eagerly jump into this mess on Cain’s side speaks volumes about its condition …. where’s the outrage about a conservatism that is losing both its intellectual moorings and its moral compass?

Full article here

196 Responses to “rise and shine”

1. 1 LOL
    November 14, 2011 at 8:30 am

Morning …what a wonderful morning it is:) #AllSmiles

2. November 14, 2011 at 8:33 am

Can’t comment. Rick Santorum is lecturing me on foreign policy on Morning Joe. =)

3. 4 LOL
    November 14, 2011 at 8:33 am

Oh yeah…Gloria Cain did an interview with FOX news and she said this is not the Herman she knows…..he respects women. Yes, calling the first female speaker of the house a “princess” calling Michele Bachman “tutti frutti”……Someone give him the National Organization of Women “Man of the Year” award

• 5 cuphalffull
      November 14, 2011 at 8:44 am

Christine O’Donnell might have been a cautionary tale. When you think so little of the people of your country, like so many of the big bank rollers on Right do these days, I guess it doesn’t matter how thoughtless, insincere, and gross a person you run for office.

November 14, 2011 at 8:45 am

Hey, it could happen! Joe Wilson got a Family Values Award!

• 7 HZ
        November 14, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Hi desertflower, was it Joe Walsh who got the Family Values Award?HZ Either one IMO are disgraceful.

• 8 nathkatun7
          November 14, 2011 at 11:11 pm

Indeed, HZ! For either Joe “you lie Wilson,” or deadbeat dad Joe Walsh, to receive “the Family Values Award” is a clear demonstration of how immoral and revolting the so called conservatives are. What a despicable bunch of hypocrites!

• 9 Obama Grandmama
      November 14, 2011 at 9:35 am

That could happen (Herman Cain getting the Man of the Year award by a women’s group as look at is it Joe Walsh in IL, the deadbeat dad who owes child support getting some kind of award from a family group.

November 14, 2011 at 9:53 am

Not buying Mrs. Cain defense of her husband. Why does these right wing Conservatives always run to FOX? Could it be that they know at FOX they won’t get ask any tough question. They will allow you to say what they want to without asking any tough questions. Kind of like being interview by a two year old. I beg Cain had to beg her to do this, but as I said I’m not buying.

November 14, 2011 at 9:57 am

Let me correct myself, FOX will allow them to say what they want, Fox won’t ask any tough questions. Just allow their fellow right wing nuts to get their stories out.

• 13 Mel
        November 14, 2011 at 11:11 am

I do not believe anything that come out of FOX crap, However if Mrs Cain wants to be more
        credible she should call a National Press Conference and defend her husband I really feel sorry
        for her So in order for herman to help waman to get a job herman wanted to be paid in SEX.
        this is sickining.

• November 14, 2011 at 3:33 pm

A couple of questions come to **MY** mind re Gloria Cain’s defense of her husband:

‘ After canceling a possible interview with Fox News’s Greta Van Susteren a little over a week ago, Gloria Cain pre-taped an interview alongside her husband Herman Cain on Sunday with Van Susteren.’

1. Why did Herman feel such a strong need to be ‘alongside’ his wife while she defends him that he had to cancel the first interview?
      She has been breathing quite well without him for weeks now while he’s been campaigning, Didn’t he trust her to stay on message?
      I have actually wondered if his wife chose not to travel with him (at least sometimes) because she didn’t like his bombastic attitude… with the press?…with females?

2. Also, does Gloria know there has been a case or two when a wife found out her loyal husband who often slept beside her was a serial killer who had buried a few of his victims on their own property?

3. Isn’t it usually said that the wife is always the last to know?

Having said all that – I have no interest in, or respect for Mr. Cain, and I am not condemning the ‘poor’ man. The truth will surface eventually, and in the meantime IMO he just isn’t important enough to take up as much of the airwaves as he currently does.

4. November 14, 2011 at 8:36 am

♥ ♥ ♥ Good Morning Chips! Good Morning TOD Family! ♥ ♥ ♥

Barack Obama Quote O’ The Day

The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.

Have a great day, everyone! 😛

5. 29 Me4obama
    November 14, 2011 at 8:36 am

Good Morning My TOD Family. Everyday, I count my blessing knowing President Obama is leading our country and the world. Thank you Lawd. 🙂

6. 30 symmetry11
    November 14, 2011 at 8:37 am

Good morning TOD family!

7. 31 Ladyhawke
    November 14, 2011 at 8:39 am

PERRY: “I’m not sure our State Department serves us well.”

Diplomats Attack Perry’s Criticism of Their Role

====================================

November 14, 2011 at 8:46 am

Oh my…and then there were “4” he won’t remember? Asshat.

• November 14, 2011 at 9:05 am

Perry seems to have an uncanny knack for stepping in piles of horse manure. I guess his campaign goal is to alienate at least one large group of people a week. Interesting he chose Hilary’s turf. Guess he’s too stupid to know when he’s roused the wrong hornet’s nest.

• 34 Mel
      November 14, 2011 at 11:17 am

Woow!! Perry is so fucking insane I am pretty sure Perry wpuld like to gey rideof the Pentagon as well,
      Are the people in Texas that STUPID? to have this asshole as their Gov. Perrry has no friking clue what’s
      going on around the world.

8. 35 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    November 14, 2011 at 8:42 am

NONE…NO AND NOTTA…THE GOP FIELD HAS NO CHANCE AGAINST PBO!!!!! 4 MORE FOR 44!

9. 36 donna dem 4 obama
    November 14, 2011 at 8:42 am

Good morning everyone.

Can someone feel me in on what this 99% singer thing that was discussed on the last thread is about? I was busy with work and family the last few days so was only able to briefly check in.

November 14, 2011 at 8:57 am

I may be way off base here but I’m now beginning to suspect that this event may not have been as spontaneous as we are led to believe. It’s possible that the President probably (and a few others) knew that the singer was going to do some protest songs and was fine with it. The singer sang protest songs for about 45 minutes and he said that the president “appeared to not notice.” Really? Sounds like the president had agreed to play the role of clueless audience member while the singer did his performance. The President is clearly on the side of the middle class but cannot be seen as pushing any particular movement. The media jumped on this story because they probably think that the President was humiliated in the process. They also jumped on this story because it gives them less time to spend talking about some of the substantive issues that went on at the summit. However, all of this just setting a narrative for exposing their annointed one, Mitt Romney as a status quo plastic man who wants to be president to work on behalf of the 1% – to hell with the 99%.

• 39 donna dem 4 obama
        November 14, 2011 at 9:23 am

Thanks deserflower. I have to head out to work but before I go I’ll just say that I see this sentiment all over the internet among “progressives”. In fact I have stated to FB friends that based on what I see taking place with this whole “Occupy” movement that I expected them to start showing up at “Obama” events and here it is. No Hopefruit I don’t believe the President knew this was going to happen (he knows how the media would play this). I expect that we will start to see “Mic Checks” at his events as well. They feel empowered by all the attention they have received and trust me they put PBO in the same category as the “Banksters”. I knew it would evolve into this. Expect more of it. Now that this guy has done it and gotten the attention. Both real and fake OWS will do more of this. You are right Hopefruit2 in that all it does is take the attention away from real issues which is another reason why PBO would not have sanctioned it.

November 14, 2011 at 9:46 am

If this was indeed an attempt to humiliate the President, OWS is backing up the wrong tree. In 2012, there are going to be two candidates on the ballot – President Obama and Mitt Romney. So if OWS is trying to campaign for Mitt Romney by undermining our President, then perhaps they do not know what they really stand for and should be condemned.

• 41 Debz
            November 14, 2011 at 10:09 am

Agreed, OWS has been at the Obama HQ in Iowa, putting all the blame on POTUS instead of Congress. Then this singer. If these people were truly interested in getting their message out, whatever that is, they would take it to the next level which is to become politically active. They have no intention of doing so. Yesterday someone posted a twitter pic, I assume from Iowa, that said “occupy the caucuses” I think these OWS fools plan to disrupt the voting process to keep people away from doing their civic duty. It is a disgrace. If they really care about the 99% they would be supporting the President and dems running for office.

• 42 donna dem 4 obama
            November 14, 2011 at 10:18 am

They don’t care anything about humiliation it’s about getting their point across and they plan to do it wherever they can garner the most attention. It won’t deter real supporters of the President and there are many of us but it feeds into the fence-sitters that are getting a daily dose of the meme that we need to try “someone different”. The irony is that the “someone different” that will most likely get the Republican nomination is the biggest “bankster” of them all.

• 44 theo67
          November 14, 2011 at 12:12 pm

If I see a mic check at President Obama’s event, I’ll go ballistic. He’s so open to hecklers, gives them a chance to say their piece before they’re led out. And he’s got a track record of working for the middle class – case in point, he enacted the largest ever tax cut for the middle class in the history of the country. If they mic check him, they’ll be doing it just to embarrass him, and given they’ve not supported any of his initiatives which directly address their grievances, and they will be doing serious damage – they will alienate so many people. I know I wouldn’t give them the small benefit of doubt that I give them. I’d be done.

• November 14, 2011 at 12:50 pm

My understanding of Mic Checks is that they only last about 5 minutes, and the people who do them usually pay to be at the events they disrupt. The worst thing in the world we can be seen as doing is trying to disrupt their disruption. Let it play out and move on like it’s part of the event. If we make it about them and not about organizing and electing Democrats, then they win. It’s the cost of doing business at this point. Sad because they’re preaching to the choir and don’t even know it.

• 46 nathkatun7
        November 14, 2011 at 11:50 pm

No you are not “off base” hopefruit. I have every confidence that the President, and many in OFA, know exactly what the OWS is all about. Given the reality of all the problems the President has to deal with, I think he really knows that he can’t expend too much energy and time on this movement whose political goals are not clearly defined. Personally, I deeply appreciate your critical examination of this manufactured movement whose goals seem to include the goal of undermining, and facilitating the defeat, of President Obama. Unlike the teabaggers whose movement was all about electing right wing Republicans, the OWS movement has no strategy on how to gain power to implement its agenda.

• 47 Mel
      November 14, 2011 at 11:22 am

There was nothing in the Honolulu News papers on this young man, and yes he was invited to
      the HW in 2009, He is a supporter of the President he only had a shirt on and is call freedom
      pf speech let’s move on there is nothing to be worried aboutt worried so let’s move on please.

10. November 14, 2011 at 8:46 am

New Poll this morning from Politico
    Obama leads Romney 49 – 43%
    Leads Romney with Independents 47-34%.
    Obama lost Seniors by 8 pts. but leads Romney 47-45%.
    Obama favorability 74%, job approval 44%.
    …..simply amazing.

November 14, 2011 at 8:48 am

Lost seniors??? Wait until they ALL find out what the R’s plan is for their SS and Medicare!

November 14, 2011 at 8:59 am

df just to clarify: they meant that in 2008, John McCain beat Obama by 8 pts among seniors, yet Obama’s now LEADING Romney by 2 pts in that same group.

This is VERY interesting, and even more interesting is the headline that GOPOLITCRAP uses for this article.

November 14, 2011 at 9:32 am

Well, mark my words..he’ll lead by more when the stark difference of the other nominee is put up there against PBO.

• 52 nathkatun7
          November 15, 2011 at 12:49 am

I believe President Obama still retains strong support from my fellow African American seniors. I don’t know what the polls say about this; but, based on my interactions with many of my fellow Black seniors, I have not seen any erosion of support for the President. Many of us also understand why some (though not all) of our fellow white seniors don’t support the President. Their lack of support for President Obama has absolutely nothing to do with his policies. I say that because many of us seniors have benefited and will, in the long run, benefit from the President’s health care policies. Rather, some white seniors oppose the President for two reasons: The first is deeply rooted in the politics of race. In other words, their opposition is primarily about denying the President a second term because they just can’t tolerate, or accept, the idea of a Black family in the White House. The second reason has to do with the fear of, and misinformation about, President Obama, which is constantly being pushed by the media; and especially, though not exclusively, FOX news. All the positive achievements of President are totally ignored by the media. At the same time, the media doesn’t miss a chance of promoting negativity about the President, even if it means having to tell lies about the President.

Given the immense and widespread media hostility towards President Obama, It’s truly a wonder that his poll numbers are still in the high 40’s and not in single digits like the poll numbers for Congress.

• 53 Mel
        November 14, 2011 at 11:25 am

Seniors??????? very strange ? I do dot believe it.

• 54 Proud of Obama
      November 14, 2011 at 8:51 am

But did you notice GOPolitico’s headline is “Obama vulnerable.” What liars. And Morning Joke of course didn’t mentipn this poll from their favorite publication. As the president would say “shocking.”

• 55 utaustinliberal
      November 14, 2011 at 8:53 am

Wow. This is good. It’s so weird Jim Vandehier from Politico was on Morning Joe this morning and he NEVER said a thing about this poll. He said PBO’s poll numbers were 40% in battle ground states. He didn’t mention that PBO leads Romney by 49%-43% and that PBO leads Romney amongst independents by 47%-34%. He said that PBO’s poll numbers according to Politico’s poll was very low and that the Obama camp is nervous. This made Joe crow like I’ve never seen before about how weak PBO is. The nerve of that scumbag from Politico. EJ Dionne is absolutely correct in his column. Politico bends backwards to shill uber hard for the GOP. It’s unnerving and disgusting. I’m going to call all of them out on twitter. The misinformation they spread to voters about PBO is downright criminal.

• 56 Proud of Obama
        November 14, 2011 at 8:58 am

Let’s give the liars hell, UT. I’ll be out this morning but when I get back I’m hitting them hard.

• 57 FiredUpInCA
        November 14, 2011 at 9:01 am

Repost from last thread:

Here’s the quest of Politico, Associated Press and Fox:

Nov. 10 2008

“The all-time low on the public’s mood may have something to do with the poll’s finding that President Bush is the most unpopular president since approval ratings were first sought more than six decades ago. Seventy-six percent of those questioned in the poll disapprove of how he is handling his job.

That’s an all-time high in CNN polling and in Gallup polling dating back to World War II.”

God bless ‘em. Try as they may. That is not going to happen with this President. Given how choppy the economy he should be doing dismally.

The GOP and their media water carriers have done everything they could to incite the widespread rejection of President Obama that was felt for Bush.

But it’s not going to happen, because there really is no basis for despising this President. You have to work at it believing he’s wholly responsible for the fact that corporations aren’t hiring.

You really have to contort yourself to believe his foreign policy has been a disaster after the transitions that have occured in Tunisia, Egypt and Libya with none of the losses in blood and treasure incurred by neocon foreign adventures.

I almost pity them. Because of the profession they’re in and the corporate masters they must do the bidding for, they can’t publicly acknowledge this President’s singular, historic accomplishments, domestically and internationally, in a mere three years.

November 14, 2011 at 9:10 am

I have been on Twitter blasting Poltico for their dastardly headlines (See the previous thread scroll all the way down). Apparently GOPolitico also had some childish headline about Kids no longer being obsessed with PBO. I tweeted them that kids were never “obsessed” with PBO..it’s they (media) who have been hatefully obsessed with him. Kids liked, admired and respected PBO and THEY STILL DO, regardless of whatever push poll that GOPOLITICO trots out to confirm their twisted agenda and narrative.

• 60 edp4bho
          November 14, 2011 at 9:32 am

“it’s they (media) who have been hatefully obsessed with him”

For those who tweet, I think this line should be primary when dealing with the no-class media. They need to confess their obsessions for what they are. No need to argue with them. Just a few succinct words should be aimed at them,—-get under their skins with the truth. And in the process keep your own sanity 😀

• 62 nathkatun7
          November 15, 2011 at 1:04 am

Well done hopefruit2!

• 63 nathkatun7
        November 15, 2011 at 1:01 am

Bravo UT! You go get them. I really must get off the sidelines and learn how to tweet.

• November 14, 2011 at 9:09 am

Yet, as Eric Boehlert pointed out on twitter, GOPolitico’s headline says “Obama vulnerable.” Blows the mind.every time.

• November 14, 2011 at 9:40 am

Job approval numbers never tell the real story because in that number will be Dems who disapprove because they don’t believe Pres. Obama is far enough left on issues – but this faction will likely vote for the President or at worst not vote.

November 14, 2011 at 10:33 am

That’s why the media LOVES to focus mostly on the job approval numbers and nothing else. Furthermore, almost every “positive” report about the President has to be prefaced with some crap about his so-called “low job approval” numbers. I don’t see any reports about Boehner or Cantor’s “low job approval” when reporting about them. It is sickening the lengths at which the media will go to destroy this President.

• 67 nathkatun7
          November 15, 2011 at 1:08 am

” It is sickening the lengths at which the media will go to destroy this President.” That is the absolute TRUTH!

11. 68 Ladyhawke
    November 14, 2011 at 8:47 am

THE WAR-WORSHIPING GOP

A Global Catastrophe in the Making – Invasion Iran 2013

===========================================

The United States has finally regained some of the respect in foreign capitals we lost as a result of the Bush Doctrine, but our men and women are still in Iraq and Afghanistan and our economy is in shambles. What better time to attack somebody else for no real reason and get some more of our young men and women killed along with untold numbers of innocent Iranian men, women, and children. There is always room for atrocity in the war-worshiping GOP – not only the “collateral” damage that results from any bombing campaign but atrocities committed by troops on the ground, and by personnel in detention centers as Republicans waterboard their way to heaven.

Just where we are going to get the army, navy, and air force to put in the field is not explained, any more than we are told where the funding will come from if, as Republicans claim, we are broke. Logistics in Afghanistan were a nightmare, and that is a relatively small-scale war. To invade Iran, a huge country compared even to Iraq, full of mountains and deserts would be far more difficult.

===========================================

• 69 theo67
      November 14, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Aren’t the GOP the same people who complained about the cost of the Libyan intervention, with their palin hero claiming some exorbitant cost per day? Now, they want to launch a full-scale attack on a country that has alliances with China and Russia, and has plenty of money from their oil trade? And who are supported by the surrounding nations? They’re crazy and stupid.

12. 70 Linda
    November 14, 2011 at 8:50 am

Eric Cantor Mic Checked at Rice University …but what is more disturbing is what the University President said to the protesters.

The person who stood in front of Eric Cantor gave this ridiculous comment that Freedom of Speech did not include disagree with opinion. Did you hear that? If you disagree, then you have no freedom of speech. WRONG. I want to see that ditty in the Constitution.

13. November 14, 2011 at 8:57 am

Good Morning, Everyone!!

14. November 14, 2011 at 8:58 am

Afghan officials say they have caught the press secretary for the Taliban!
    This is a big deal!

15. 75 Ladyhawke
    November 14, 2011 at 8:59 am

GOP DANGEROUS & UNINFORMED WAR TALK

GOPers Promise you War on Iran & Torture & Poverty

=========================================

These people just like the idea of war. War is good for munitions firms and security firms, who give a lot of money to Republican candidates. They’re actively looking for a war. It is good for business, for them.

As for the rest of us, think about this:

The US credit rating was cut because its debt ($14 trillion) came to equal its annual gross domestic product ($14.5 trillion).

If it hadn’t been for the Iraq War, which was entirely paid for by borrowed money, the US debt would have been only $13 trillion, and there would have been no downgrade. When a country’s credit rating is downgraded, it makes it more expensive to borrow money, which makes the debt increase, in a vicious cycle.

So Mssrs. Romney and Gingrich should be made to tell us how they will pay for a war on Iran. Iran is nearly 3 times as populous as Iraq, and Iran’s area is 636,296 sq miles, whereas Iraq’s is 167,400 square miles. I’d say it is a fair bet that an Iran War would cost the US three times what Iraq cost– i.e. an Iran War would cost the rest of us $3 trillion off the bat, and another $6 trillion over the lifetime of the wounded veterans’ care.

Since all the Republicans are against raising taxes on their cronies among the billionaires, there would only be one way to pay for a $9 trillion Iran War, which would be to abolish social security and medicare. Maybe accomplishing that long-desired goal is even what drives the Republican frontrunners to their fantastic dreams of another Middle Eastern War.

Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

========================================

• 76 nathkatun7
      November 15, 2011 at 1:55 am

Thanks Ladyhawke for sharing this article. Juan Cole is one of the most knowledgeable people about the Middle East. The questions he raises in that article are really profound. Sadly, our so called mainstream media will never ask those critical questions to Republican presidential candidates. Instead they just love to ask snarky and idiotic questions whenever President Obama holds a news conference. By the way, I wish someone would ask Romney if any of his sons plan to enlist in the military to carry out his holy war against Iran. Or does Mittens still consider his sons’ participation in getting him elected president equal to volunteering for service in any of the branches of the U.S. military? Why wasn’t the question of drafting sons of the rich, like Mitt Romney, to defend the country not asked of these trigger happy war monger presidential candidates? Why didn’t the so called journalists ask the war mongers how they planned to pay for the war against Iran? Yet, some of these journalists go around harassing President Obama with the most trivial questions that are taken, verbatim, from teabag-GOP talking points.

16. November 14, 2011 at 9:11 am

E.J. Dionne piece this morning is spot on.

17. 86 mtmarilyn
    November 14, 2011 at 9:13 am

Good morning Chips and TODville! Seeing those wonderful pictures of Hawaii makes me smile. We are getting quite a snowstorm here in MT. Hope the President gets some rest before his next trip. Lots of prayers for safe travels for FLOTUS today.

18. November 14, 2011 at 9:23 am

Sunday, November 13, 2011
    Not So Fast, Holder’s Furious
    Posted by Zandar

It looks like AG Eric Holder has finally realized that the GOP won’t stop flogging his continuation of Bush’s “Gunwalker” program until he’s gone, so now Holder is fighting back. Hard.

But amid dozens of calls for his resignation and a series of heated comments —one Republican implied that he’s an accessory to murder — Holder has stepped up his approach.

“I’d like to correct some of the inaccurate, and frankly, irresponsible accusations surrounding Fast and Furious,” Holder announced at a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing this week.

The hearing was Holder’s first before the committee since internal DOJ memos raised questions about whether he misled the House Judiciary Committee in May when he testified that he had first learned about Fast and Furious “over the last few weeks.”

The memos launched a spate of Republican calls for his resignation as lawmakers debated whether Holder lied to Congress under oath and questioned whether he was fit to hold office.

At Tuesday’s hearing Holder immediately clarified his remarks from his House testimony in May, saying that he first learned about Fast and Furious and its gun-walking tactics after news reports emerged based on the concerns of whistleblowers. He said he immediately asked for an IG investigation.

19. November 14, 2011 at 9:26 am

Using his new power for the first time, Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood has slapped a regional affiliate of American Airlines with a fine of almost $1 million for keeping hundreds of passengers trapped in planes on the tarmac for hours, the Associated Press reports.

“We put the tarmac rule in place to protect passengers, and we take any violation very seriously,” LaHood said in a statement, the AP said. “We will work to ensure that airlines and airports coordinate their resources and plans to avoid keeping passengers delayed on the tarmac.”

What a coincidence. I’m off to UK & Germany on business in another 4 hours. Won’t have much time to blog for this week.

20. November 14, 2011 at 9:26 am

These executive actions by the President scare the daylights out of Boehner. Because he knows they are going to work and once the economy gets really turbo charged he, Cantor, McConnell and a lot of other people are going to be begging for a seat on that train. Too late. The entire country will call it what it is: The Obama Express.

21. November 14, 2011 at 9:28 am

For all you twitter peeps, concentrate on politico misinformation.
    Why? Because, politico is the only place Msnbc gies for their story lines.
    Hardball is all politico story and Howard fineman from huff fluff.
    Over the top on this President, is their forte.

• 107 proudofobama
      November 14, 2011 at 9:39 am

Hi Jovie, I’ve been tweeting them this morning calling them out for lying about their own poll. They are disgusting.

• November 14, 2011 at 9:56 am

Wow, what a spectacular all-out assault on the President from GOPolitico today! Just checked their front page, one negative piece after another, including that comical one about kids’ “obsession” with him fading – WTF?! Serious political journalism? 🙄

Dearie me, they sure are getting nervous about the President bouncing back, they’re working their socks off to knock him down again. I suppose they’re nervous about their own poll’s findings:

Obama 49 — Romney 43

Obama 49 — Cain 40

😉

• November 14, 2011 at 10:06 am

And halperin gloating about how wonderful Romney is- meh!

• 111 LOL
        November 14, 2011 at 10:11 am

Chip did you see the commenter’s post to Ben Smith. A thing of beauty…I’ll copy it in full

Ben – It is ALMOST a story when adults who have unrealistic hopes for people they don’t know and project all kinds of things onto, only for reality to have different plans. But not really, and if it is, it is about why those adults never grew up. Now you literally write a story about KIDS who don’t think Obama is crazy-cool anymore. Why isn’t he cool with seven year olds anymore? because they have the attention spans of kids. Furby, ticklemeelmo, gigapets. What are 11 year olds supposed to read your blog everyday and make phone calls on behalf of wall street reform? how will he ever win in 2012 without the crucial dollar a week allowance demographic? good god.

• 112 Debz
        November 14, 2011 at 10:18 am

Now Chipsticks, you know all of those “kids” have fallen madly in love with Mittens!!!!!! They like the whole plastic ken doll image and are waiting for him to sing Who Let The Dogs Out!! 🙂

On a serious note, thank you for all of your hard work keeping up with our President on this trip especially since he is in a totally different time zone. If it wasn’t for you we would never get this info anywhere!!

22. November 14, 2011 at 9:28 am

What PBO accomplished at APEC is even more remarkable in the context of what’s happening with the European economy. Europe’s growing problems are likely to put the US economy at risk at least partly because it will threaten trade with European countries and undermine US jobs growth. So the president moves aggressively to the Pacific region to boost trade and balance the expected losses on the European side. In other words, he’s looking around the curve in the road and and adjusting our position to forestall a possible collision. This is just brilliant. And it shows the iron-willed determination PBO has to put the US economy on a firm track despite the Congress, despite the media and despite the potential weakening of the European economy. Our president ALWAYS operates with a view of the forest, while his opponents have their noses pressed against the tree bark. He’s is just astonishing! Try for one minute to imagine any one of the pea brain presidential candidates on the right working on such a macro level of global economic strategy. The mind boggles.

November 14, 2011 at 9:41 am

THIS! Perfect insight, Jackie….and the reason why we all love him, and the R’s don’t. He’s eating them up, and spitting them out. They have never SEEN the likes of anyone as smart as PBO. Sucks to be them.

• November 14, 2011 at 9:54 am

Same reason why there was focus on trade deals with Central and South America. With the harse austerity measures being enacted in Europe and all the trouble they are having with the Eurozone and Euro, there is need to diversify and get into growing markets in Asia and South America.

• November 14, 2011 at 11:01 am

Jackie, I hope you don’t mind, but I copied your comment (gave you credit) at PlanetPOV. Folks over there are sane and appreciate smart analysis. I try to share The Obama Diary with as many blogs as I can. Chips does such a wonderful job and the comments posted here are some of the best I have seen on any blog.

• November 14, 2011 at 11:42 am

Hiya Sabreen – I can’t believe I didn’t have PlanetPOV in the blogroll here, I am hugely 😳 I love the site, it’s on my daily menu! Thanks so much for the kind words Sabreen, keep up the great work 😉

• November 14, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Good insight, cogently stated!

• 119 nathkatun7
      November 15, 2011 at 2:27 am

Thank you, Jackie G, for this enlightening comment filled with great insights. I feel blessed for finding this site that feature many brilliant, and reality based, commentaries. Reading comments like yours is on the one hand very gratifying; but, on the other hand it saddens me to know that vast the majority of Americans, who rely on the so called mainstream media, will never be exposed to thoughtful analyses — about important issues — like yours. Makes one wonder why we have these high paid journalists who claim to be professions, but who are no better than those who write for sensational tabloids like the National Enquirer.

23. November 14, 2011 at 9:29 am

Buffet just bought IBM…

24. November 14, 2011 at 9:36 am

Jordan’s King Abdullah calls on Assad to step down.

Yet another ME change initiated without the usual american heavy handedness.

25. 123 debbyeOh
    November 14, 2011 at 9:36 am

Good morning everyone! I hope everyone had a great weekend! I just loved all those wonderful pics of Hawaii. Guess I’m gonna have to put Hawaii on my bucket list:) !

POTUS and FLOTUS looked spectacular during the summit. We are so blessed to have them representing us in world affairs! Well, I’ll check back during the day to see what’s going on! Be good, everyone, no naughty pads, you hear! 😉

26. November 14, 2011 at 9:44 am

So, instead of talking jobs- the balanced budget amendment is being pushed again, by the GOP.
    It polls good because it sounds good. But, how can the hcr law poll badly and the balanced budget amendment poll good?
    The balanced budget Thingy will gut all safety nets- and yet the hcr law will actually give you benefits.
    This I do not nor will ever understand. Perhaps, I should listen to my Mother, she said the hcr law polls poorly because kids don’t like the individual mandate, they don’t want to pay anything!

November 14, 2011 at 10:00 am

It’s not the hcr law that’s polling badly. It’s the media-distorted version of the hcr law that’s polling badly. For example, CNN has been pushing Mitt Romney’s LIE about repeal of the ACA leading to a reduction in federal spending. CNN conveniently omitted the part where the CBO assessed that repeal would also REDUCE revenue by a greater amount than the so-called decrease in in spending, leading to a net INCREASE in the budget deficit.

So be careful when the media claims that the hcr law is polling badly. They are LYING.

• November 14, 2011 at 10:18 am

The full force of HCR hasn’t kicked in yet for many people. This will be a good campaign issue for us during the coming year.

27. November 14, 2011 at 9:50 am

With Perry’s “oops” moment I am reminded of a story Bill Richardson told about a moment in a debate where he was caught not paying attention –

Richardson related an anecdote from one of the debates:

He had fielded a question and then, as the next point went to another candidate, leaned toward Obama next to him on the stage and whispered, “‘Boy some of these debates really boring, aren’t they?’ Or something like that. And he said, ‘Oh god, yeah, you’re right.’ ”

As the two were whispering, a question suddenly veered back to Richardson — who hadn’t been paying attention. “I looked at Obama and he says ‘Katrina. Katrina.’ And I go back and say, ‘Well, my three-point plan on Katrina is …’

“Obama could have thrown me under the bus. But he didn’t.

• 132 donna dem 4 obama
      November 14, 2011 at 10:29 am

I remember that SR. 🙂

It says something about the character of the man. Just another reason to fight for and work hard for this President.

• 133 theo67
      November 14, 2011 at 1:18 pm

It’s also interesting that while Richardson was gossiping with then-Senator Obama, and unable to keep track of the conversation, President Obama was able to do both. That’s why he’s the President.

• 136 nospin
      November 14, 2011 at 4:04 pm

I remember that and here it is.

• 137 nathkatun7
      November 15, 2011 at 2:50 am

I vividly remember that story told by Bill Richardson, in Portland, Oregon, when he endorsed President Obama. To me, that story told me all I wanted to know about the decency and integrity of President Obama. What he did for Bill Richardson demonstrated the character of a man who was ready to compete with others but was not interested in taking cheap advantage of them. This is truly rare, especially in the political world. And, to his credit, Bill Richardson, a friend of the Clintons, quickly recognized this special man, and was courageously ready to endure the demonizations, from the Clintons, by endorsing President Obama.

Thank you so much, Saintroscoe, for sharing this as a reminder of why many of us appreciate our President.

28. November 14, 2011 at 9:54 am

I see politico is up to its usual meme of obama gonna lose.

29. 147 57andFemale
    November 14, 2011 at 9:58 am

Completely OT but you are my TOD family, after all: I’ve gone batshit crazy. I’ve adopted another dog. We always adopt, always adults, some with some serious conditions. After nursing my little Kasper through the attack by the giant pit bull for most of this year (he is, thank God, fully recovered), I’ve gone and done it again. I promised myself they would be younger dogs, so I could get a break from the last decade of extraordinary care for our dogs — cancer, tumors, old age, etc.

We went and adopted ‘Pearl’. She’s a 7 year old yorkie, was given to a kill shelter by the breeder/puppy mill who was done using her like livestock. The shelter that rescued her had to pull almost all of her teeth, she’s got bald spots and no one knows if the hair will grow back. She’s been spayed, lived with a foster family for about a month who did great work at housebreaking her (for the first time in her life), getting her some socialization.

She’s still full of fear but better each day. Nickelby, our cairn/silky mix thinks she’s just fine. Kasper, who thought she was fine for the first four hours and then realized she was staying, is being a bit of a jerk. He seems to think he gets to decide where she can or can’t be in the house. We are working through those issues. I wish he wouldn’t scare her but this may be the boot in the ass I need to get him trained properly. I have to remind myself I’m the leader of the pack.

She weighs 6.5 pounds, which is about half of what she should weigh. It would break your heart to see how skinny she is. She’s starting to enjoy her dog food, has decided she likes cheese.

She has never known love, never known freedom. But I saw something in those eyes. She has a face similar to my Pilgrim (died October 29, 2009, from insulinoma) who was a yorkie-poo and the love of my life. But what I saw in Pearl’s eyes was so different, so unique. I know there’s a yorkie heart in her. Each day she’s stronger physically and emotionally. I sat on the sofa with Kasper on one side, Pearl on the other. She wanted to retreat to her safe corner but I want her to face her fear, with me to protect her. Every time there’s a good exchange between them, the closer we are to success.

And yesterday, after she was a ‘good girl’ outside, we ran up and down the gangway in our yard. She came alive. It may have been the first ‘fun’ she’s ever had. Oh, all the possibilities that flashed through my mind and heart when she let loose and enjoyed life!

God knows what we’ll find out about her health at our vet today, but we have made a solemn promise to her that will meet any challenges head on. That she will be safe and loved and cared for for the rest of her life, if it’s a year or 10 years. When we rescued our Harvey off the street, he had a tumor the size of my fist. We removed the tumor, the cancer doctor telling us that it was ‘guaranteed’ the cancer would come back within 10 months. The cancer didn’t come back for 6 1/2 years, when we amputated his toe. Alas, old age caught up with him a year later — he was at least 17 years old when we finally lost him to old age. So when we promise Pearl we’ll take care of her, it’s a promise we keep.

But I’m crazy. Batshit, certifiable. Work is making me sick (literally) I’m trying to hold on until Medicare (I’m 61). My husband is almost 72 years old. We’re crazy.

But once I held her in my arms at the shelter, there was no way she was spending another night there.

I’m batshit nuts.

• November 14, 2011 at 10:06 am

No, you are a loving, kind, caring compassionate person who loves ALL God’s creatures. Know she was ‘sent’ to you for a reason. God bless you and give you the strength and wisdom and understanding you need to care for her and help her heal.

• November 14, 2011 at 10:10 am

Why are you ‘batshit nuts’ again ? That’s one of the sweetest stories. I have seven dogs myself – from a six month old pug to a nine year old dob. Each own has personality issues and I love them all. I have lost six dogs over the past 15 years and never gotten over them.

November 14, 2011 at 10:14 am

57andFemale our thoughts are with you and Pearl. Hope the Dr. has some positive news about her health 🙂

• 151 proudmemberofglobalzero
      November 14, 2011 at 10:26 am

Thank you for sharing…I too love to rescue…I have a border collie from a kill shelter…he was taken back twice by two different families. The first time we took him to the groomers…he cried the whole time…he was afraid of us walking out and leaving him. To this day…I still cannot figure out why anyone took this beautiful dog to be killed. Last year…we went to Miami after finding that a 5 week old puppy was taken to a kill shelter…the reason…he only has 3 legs….he has a forever home with us.!

• 152 57andFemale
        November 14, 2011 at 10:35 am

When we found Harvey on the street — cataracts, tumor on his foot — we couldn’t understand how someone could abuse this beautiful guy. He looked like a westie with floppy ears. He had never been loved but he still put all his trust in us. He was a beautiful dog and we often thought about what he would have been had he known love his whole life.

My next door neighbors bought a lab puppy from a storefront pet store — I was furious at them. So many dogs to be adopted. They are in their 70’s and were trying to replace their 11 year old lab and honestly didn’t allow for how much work a puppy can be.

The shelter in Chicago where we’ve gotten our last three dogs said that the older ones take longer to adopt but eventually they all find homes. But there was something in Pearl’s eyes — I was afraid that if she had to spend weeks there she might shut down, no matter how nice they would be to her in the shelter. She just had to come home and be a part of our family.

• November 14, 2011 at 10:36 am

No you’re not 57andfemale, you’re a good soul.. and as another animal lover/ rescuer- I say thank you & a long life to you and your ‘mates’. 🙂

• November 14, 2011 at 4:55 pm

And I Amen these comments. You are not crazy, you are a gentle soul who is allowing your beautiful spirit to enjoy helping a beautiful creature come to a healing place in the gift of life. Hold on, think good thoughts, and pray for things to work out for the good in this entire situation. Keep your beautiful thoughts alive with your lovely action. God bless you so much 57andFemale.HZ

• 155 sjterrid
      November 15, 2011 at 2:30 pm

I give you a lot of credit. You are a very compassionate person to take care of these rescues, and let them become part of your family. I hope the vet visit goes okay.

30. November 14, 2011 at 10:00 am

31. November 14, 2011 at 10:10 am

Good morning, TODville.

A little heads up – there’s a new book coming out in January from Jodi Kantor. She’s been reporting on PBO for a long time and has also been shadowing the Obamas for a while lately. (You can sometimes see her in photos or video in the background.) If I remember correctly, she is usually pretty positive, but as we all know, if you’re selling a book, something’s got to give. So let’s keep our eyes open for this one.

Coming in January: I have a surprising story to tell you about Barack and Michelle Obama.

When Barack Obama won the 2008 presidential election, he also won a long-running debate with his wife Michelle. Contrary to her fears, politics now seemed like a worthwhile, even noble pursuit. Together they planned a White House life that would be as normal and sane as possible.

Then they moved in.

In the Obamas, Jodi Kantor takes us deep inside the White House as they try to grapple with their new roles, change the country, raise children, maintain friendships, and figure out what it means to be the first black President and First Lady. Filled with riveting detail and insight into their partnership, emotions and personalities, and written with a keen eye for the ironies of public life, THE OBAMAS is an intimate portrait that will surprise even readers who thought they knew the President and First Lady.

32. 162 Brittany
    November 14, 2011 at 10:11 am

U.S. Supreme Court will take up POTUS’ health care bill.

• 163 Linda
      November 14, 2011 at 10:14 am

I am surprised to hear this….

• November 14, 2011 at 10:15 am

Since PBO and Eric Holder pretty much gamed it to turn out this way, they must be pretty confident that this is a good thing. I think it also gives us the opportunity to cite the evidence of how it’s working so far and use that during the campaign.

November 14, 2011 at 10:23 am

There have been several district courts (including at least one conservative court) that have already ruled ACA is constitutional. This could go either way, but I feel confident. And I plan to say some prayers!

• 169 Brittany
        November 14, 2011 at 10:26 am

I read on TPM that POTUS wanted the challenges to go to the U.S. Supreme Court.

• 170 SueBee
          November 14, 2011 at 10:29 am

Here’s Newt’s contribution to this subject..LOL

• 171 Brittany
            November 14, 2011 at 10:32 am

He must have not gotten the memo, that POTUS wanted this to happen, and wanted it to be settled before the November 2012 election.

• 172 theo67
            November 14, 2011 at 1:28 pm

It will be interesting to see how the “repeal and replace” gang expect to replace a bill that will require votes in both chambers of Congress, when President Obama was the first President in 100 years to get health care passed. Also, how will they answer the cost and coverage questions? This should be interesting.

What’s also interesting is that if the mandate were to be shot down, then the insurance companies would go crazy, because they’d be required to cover sick patients who would only buy insurance when they got sick. The mandate allows them to cover people with pre-existing conditions without incurring astronomical costs, because the costs are balanced across dues paid by sick and healthy people.

The beauty of the timing for this case is that it will allow health care to be argued front and center, and the real facts to come out. The GOP won’t be able to lie in front of the Supreme Court, and the real facts for and against this law will come into the forefront. If the GOP members of the Supreme Court knock down the law, then people will know exactly what they’re losing, and who did it to them, and who was standing in front of the Supreme Court fighting for the people.

• 173 57andFemale
        November 14, 2011 at 10:40 am

Just the mandate portion. We need to be a little careful with our messaging even if the lazy press won’t be: only the mandate is at issue. From Ezra Klein this morning, who was my go-to expert during ACA, the court can sever that provision although I thought I had heard that it couldn’t be severed earlier in this discussion. Ezra’s been factual on ACA.

• November 14, 2011 at 10:44 am

I just worry about this because Roberts could have punted it if he wanted to, and he chose to hear it. Would he want to give the Obama Admin a huge win in an election year? I don’t think so – so if he thought it would be ruled constitutional he’d have punted on it, the fact that it’s going to be heard makes me think he knows where Kennedy’s head is and it will be ruled unconstitutional in part or as a whole.

• November 14, 2011 at 11:01 am

Yo worry too much sr. May be WH knew Kennedy’s head and hence pushed for supremes to hear the case.

• 179 57andFemale
        November 14, 2011 at 12:08 pm

I don’t for a minute doubt the Roberts Court’s ability to put all logic and legal precedent on its head, but if they mess with the Commerce Clause on this, it can open a very large business-friendly can of worms and it may just not be worth it.

• 180 theo67
        November 14, 2011 at 1:30 pm

I’m a strong believer in karma. Somehow, I think this is going to all work out for President Obama. Roberts has some karma still hanging over him because of messing up the inauguration oath – I don’t think he’s going to do any favours to the Obama administration, but I do think that karma will be at play, and we might just see Roberts do the right thing. There are few accidents in nature.

November 14, 2011 at 10:21 am

Oh, Chips, another great photo of our President in silhouette. Those are my favorites!

Good morning, all. A wonderful week for all of us, as President Obama departs to represent our country beyond its borders (although I can’t wait to have him home!).

34. 182 Ladyhawke
    November 14, 2011 at 10:22 am

HOW PATHETIC IS DAVID GREGORY??

The laziness and dishonesty in the interview with Debbie Wasserman Schultz on Sunday was shocking. David Gregory used video from the 2008 presidential campaign to try and discredit President Obama. I was especially outraged at the accusatory tone of this question: “On the debt, HOW IRRESPONSIBLE IS IT THAT ‘THIS PRESIDENT’ HAS ALLOWED AMERICA’S NATIONAL DEBT TO INCREASE BY 41 PERCENT OVER HIS TERM OF OFFICE?” Unbelievable.

This takes twisting yourself into a pretzel to make a point to a whole new level. There was a total lack of journalistic integrity in this exchange. David Gregory needs to be called out for this pathetic showing. As Steve Benen says, if a Mitt Romney aid had been asking the questions, they wouldn’t have been much different. I had my issues with Tim Russert, but I really miss him. Meet The Press has been diminished with David Gregory at the helm. He carries water for the GOP and rarely challenges their outlandish claims and lies. NBC could do better.

If it’s Sunday, it’s ‘Meet the GOP Talking Points’

====================================

I expect this on Fox News. “Meet the Press” is supposed to have higher standards.

And to top it off, the host inexplicably showed a clip of Obama from July 2008 talking about his desire to lower the deficit if elected. July 2008 — before the crash, before TARP, before the need for the Recovery Act, before Republicans demanded an extension of Bush-era tax breaks that they refused to pay for.

Gregory pointed to Obama’s July 2008 comments and asked, “Should it not be turned on him now?” If a Mitt Romney aide had been asking the questions, they wouldn’t have been much different.

It was one of the worst interviews I’ve ever seen on “Meet the Press.”

====================================

• November 14, 2011 at 10:37 am

David Gregory is guilty. He was a WH reporter during the Bush administration, but was duped on the Iraq war Thingy.
      Maybe all these WH reporters in the bush administration, should be blamed for several of my buddies death in Iraq.
      Just saying!

• November 14, 2011 at 10:41 am

As pathetic as Gregory might be, Wasserman-Shultz could have easily pointed out that the clip he aired was from before the Lehman collapse and the near economic collapse that almost resulted.

• 185 nospin
      November 14, 2011 at 12:23 pm

There were some folks on the comment section of that post who were pointing fingers at DWS asserting she was ill prepared and did nothing to push back. In response Johnny Canuck wrote (one of the commenter’s on that same post) wrote –

“Johnny canuck on November 14, 2011 10:32 AM:

I think so many of you are being unfair to DWS because you can’t conceive how biased Gregory was, and he is control of the agenda after all. Go to the transcrpit and look at the interview. I don’t think her answers were bad, or that she was unprepared. Take for example the exchange re Republican proposal for new revenue:

MR. GREGORY: Well, let’s–they did, they did agree for tax increases that Democrats have not accepted this week. But I want to ask you about, specifically, about the debt.

REP. SCHULTZ: Well, no, no, no. Because that wasn’t a serious–come on, David, that was not a serious proposal. What they proposed was, you know, reducing the number of itemized deductions in exchange for a passage, an extension of all the Bush tax cuts, which actually would’ve resulted in less revenue and brought the overall tax rate, top tax rate down to 28 percent. So that was not a serious proposal. We need a serious proposal that balances the revenue of the super committee generates and the cuts.
      Advertise | AdChoices

MR. GREGORY: All right. Well, there, there was new revenue, there was new revenue that was proposed, but I realize that’s still a subject of debate. But let me, let me focus…

REP. SCHULTZ: That would result in less revenue overall.

MR. GREGORY: Let me–well, again, that’s in dispute, according to my reporting on that. On the debt, how irresponsible is it that this president has allowed America’s national debt to increase by 41 percent over his term of office?

bdop4 on November 14, 2011 10:41 AM:

Here’s the rest of the interview:

REP. SCHULTZ: Well, President Obama inherited a, a significant, significant debt, one that President Bush handed him after receiving a record surplus from President Clinton. So, I mean, we’re, we’re talking about a president who inherited the results of two wars that were unpaid for, a prescription drug program unpaid for, and 2001 and 2003 tax cuts that went to the wealthiest, most fortunate Americans unpaid for, and had the most significant economic problems that the Republicans had driven us to the brink of economic collapse of any president probably since FDR. So making sure that we could make investments to get this economy to begin to turn around was incredibly important. And this president did that, and that’s why we’ve had 20 straight months of growth in the private sector.

MR. GREGORY: Well…

REP. SCHULTZ: And he stopped the decline.

MR. GREGORY: But let me…

REP. SCHULTZ: That was, that was critical, and began to turn things around.

MR. GREGORY: Well, but he certainly didn’t stop the decline when it came to the debt if the debt has gone up. And this was candidate Obama in July of 2008. Watch.

(Videotape, July 3, 2008)

PRES. BARACK OBAMA: The problem is, is that the way Bush has done it over the last eight years is to take out a credit card from the bank of China in the name of our children, driving up our national debt from $5 trillion for the first 42 presidents, number 43 added $4 trillion by his lonesome. That’s irresponsible. It’s unpatriotic.
      Advertise | AdChoices

(End videotape)

MR. GREGORY: That’s his rhetoric. Should it not be turned on him now?

REP. SCHULTZ: No. What should be turned–well, what we should be turning on is that Mitt Romney, for example, who purports to be the alternative to President Obama, would’ve allowed Detroit to go bankrupt, would’ve allowed more than a million jobs in the pipeline to just, just evaporate. We wouldn’t have had an American automobile industry. He’s also said that housing is something that we shouldn’t address. We should just let investors come in and buy up all the properties and leave people who are struggling to remain in their homes out in the cold.

I mean, so in the alternatives, in the field of Republican candidates, they continue to focus on making sure that millionaires and billionaires continue to have it good. And President Obama has focused on trying to make sure that the middle class gets 17 different tax cuts for small business owners. Ninety-five percent of Americans got a tax break at the outset of President Obama’s administration. We are focused under his leadership on getting things turned around, and we’ve made 20 straight months of progress. So while, yes, we have increased our debt, we have done so in a way that has made sure that the economy can start to turn around. So we’ve made progress, and we’ve moved forward. We would make even more if the Republicans just stopped rooting for the economy to fail and join us in trying to focus on all of America’s jobs, not just on the one job they care about, which is Barack Obama’s.

MR. GREGORY: We’re going to leave it there. The debate will continue. Congresswoman, thank you.

REP. SCHULTZ: Thank you.

• November 14, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Forgive me if my memory is off base here, but IIRC, the so-called huge increase in debt by the president was because added to it was the UNDECLARED debt increases of the Bush administration. They hid the debt, and the president included it as a part of the overall US debt. I’m late to the conversation again, but I hope someone can help me out with this. I don’t recall if Austan Goolsbee made that claim or if Rachel Maddow did a while back before she became increasingly PL.

• 187 nospin
          November 14, 2011 at 2:55 pm

your memory is on par. I recall that as well..

• 188 nathkatun7
          November 15, 2011 at 4:22 am

You are absolutely not ” off bse.” The Bush administration financed the Iraq and Afghanistan wars off the books, thereby hiding the real cost of the wars from the American people. President Obama changed all that off the books stuff and began to honestly included the expenses for both wars in the regular budget. For Gregory not to have addressed this reality shows the MSM’s ineptitude. Or it my be a covert plan to blame everything on President Obama.

Here is the reality: Bush’s tax cuts, which went primarily to the supper rich added over a trillion to the budget deficit. The Iraq/Afghanistan wars added another trillion. There is absolutely no evidence that these two major Bush policies did any anything to create jobs and thus recoup the lost revenues by collecting taxes from the people wholostd jobs. David Gregory knows exactly what was going on. For him to blame the deficit on President Obama was unethical. Professional journalists should not, and must not, be mouth pieces of a political parties or ideological faction.

• 189 theo67
      November 14, 2011 at 1:33 pm

The GOP and their water carriers have no leg to stand on when it comes to the deficit. There’s only one man who’s been consistently trying t cut $4 trillion from the deficits. And there’s only one man who put the true costs of the wars and the Bush tax cuts on the books. And the GOP are the ones advocating for a permanent extension of those same Bush tax cuts, which have been proven to have created zero jobs, and they also want to embroil the country in yet another costly, endless and devastating war (with Iran). They don’t have a leg to stand on, and they’re just handing President Obama more ammunition if they try.

35. 190 Ladyhawke
    November 14, 2011 at 10:46 am

MITT ROMNEY’S FOREIGN POLICY IS A JOKE

His saber rattling about war with Iran gets laughed at on Morning Joe.

A CANDIDATE CAN ONLY FAKE IT FOR SO LONG

========================================

Worse, Romney keeps failing these tests. Remember the time Romney told ABC News he would “set a deadline for bringing the troops home” from Iraq — but only if it’s a secret deadline? How about the time Romney, more than four years into the war in Iraq, said it’s “entirely possible” that Saddam Hussein hid weapons of mass destruction in Syria prior to the 2003 invasion? Or the time Romney pretended “Hezbollah and Hamas and al Qaeda and the Muslim Brotherhood” were all the same thing? How about my personal favorite: the time Romney made the bizarre assertion that IAEA weapons inspectors were not allowed entry into Saddam Hussein’s Iraq?

More recently, Romney tried to trash the New START nuclear treaty in an op-ed, prompting Fred Kaplan to respond, “In 35 years of following debates over nuclear arms control, I have never seen anything quite as shabby, misleading and — let’s not mince words — thoroughly ignorant as Mitt Romney’s attack on the New START treaty.”

None of this may matter much to voters, whose attention is focused on the economy, but for voters who take foreign policy seriously, Mitt Romney is a bit of a joke.

========================================

36. November 14, 2011 at 10:53 am

SEE YOU IN COURT: This reaction just in, from White House communications director Dan Pfeiffer:

“Earlier this year, the Obama Administration asked the Supreme Court to consider legal challenges to the health reform law and we are pleased the Court has agreed to hear this case. Thanks to the Affordable Care Act, one million more young Americans have health insurance, women are getting mammograms and preventive services without paying an extra penny out of their own pocket and insurance companies have to spend more of your premiums on health care instead of advertising and bonuses. We know the Affordable Care Act is constitutional and are confident the Supreme Court will agree.”

37. 192 Ladyhawke
    November 14, 2011 at 10:57 am

Arab leaders shouldn’t kill their people?

By Marc Lynch – Foreign Policy

========================================

The Arab League is today considering the demand by the Syrian National Council, human rights organizations and a wide array of other actors that it freeze Syria’s membership over its killing of civilians. Few expect that the Arab League will seriously affect the Assad regime’s behavior. But the very fact that it is even considering such a move is frankly astonishing. Since when do Arab leaders agree that a regime’s legitimacy can be forfeit if it kills too many of its own people?

The rapid spread of a new norm against Arab regimes killing their own people is a frankly astonishing, but largely unremarked, change in the regional game. Since the Arab League backed the UN intervention in Libya in March, the idea that regimes might be sanctioned for their domestic brutality has become a normal part of the Arab political debate and enshrined in official Arab League resolutions. Both the GCC’s political transition plan for Yemen and this month’s Arab League peace plan for Syria condemned regimes for their violence and called for far reaching political changes. They haven’t stopped the violence. But the idea that they should is something genuinely new — and has major implications beyond the immediate outcome in either country.
    Building this norm won’t be easy, will be rife with hypocrisies and double standards, and like virtually all international norms will be honored more in the breach than in practice. But we’ve come a long way in the space of one year we have gone from an Arab regional order which rejected any limits on state sovereignty to one where both Arab public opinion and the Arab League could agree that leaders should have their assets frozen, be forced from power or be brought to the ICC because they brutalized their people.

=======================================

38. November 14, 2011 at 11:11 am

Good morning, TOD family. I have been nursing a really nasty cold for the last few days and have not posted or tweeted. I have, however, followed the news and worked my schedule around the live streams and reports from the President’s trip. This morning I have scanned reports from everywhere, trying to find the “progressives” and the “holier than thou” crowd coming to the defense of the President on the issue of waterboarding. Where are they all? Isn’t there a soul among them who could get up the courage and the decency to speak up for this President? They are faster than lightening when it comes to criticizing him for any lack of action, real or imagined, but when it comes to real issues of human rights and pushback against the hateful arrogance of the right wing extremists, he is left alone fighting against pure evil.

Mr. President, I agree with you. I thank God every day for your leadership and I pray that your North Star will continue to shine brightly. I believe in my heart that the vast majority of Americans will support you in erasing the stain of torture from our national conscience and join you in declaring that “We don’t do that”.

@POTUS