Jun

‘Bullies on the Bus’

Charles Blow (NYT): “Making the Bus Monitor Cry.” That’s the name of the video. It’s more than 10 minutes long, but if you make it through more than three of them with your eyes not getting misty and your blood not boiling then you are a rock, or at least your heart is.

…. what, if anything, does this say about society at large? …. for me, it is a remarkably apt metaphor for this moment in the American discourse in which hostility has been drawn out into the sunlight.

Those boys are us, or at least too many of us: America at its ugliest. It is that part of society that sees the weak and vulnerable as worthy of derision and animus.

This kind of behavior …. stretches to the upper reaches of society – our politics and our pulpits and our public squares.

Whether it is a Republican debate audience booing a gay soldier or Rush Limbaugh’s vicious attack on a female Georgetown law student or Newt Gingrich’s salvos at the poor, bullying has become boilerplate. Hiss and taunt. Tease and intimidate. Target your enemies and torture them mercilessly. Maintain primacy through predation.

…. Women are under attack. Hispanics are under attack. Minority voting rights are under attack. The poor are under attack. Unsurprisingly, those doing the attacking in every case are from the right.

…. The bullying on that bus was awful, but so is the bullying in our politics. Those boys were trying to exert power over a person placed there to rein them in. But bullying is always about power — projecting more than you have in order to accrue more than your share.

Sounds like the frightened, insecure part of American society.

Full article here

163 Responses to “‘Bullies on the Bus’”

1. 1 Tally
    June 23, 2012 at 1:47 pm

love this so much.

2. 9 collegekay
    June 23, 2012 at 1:51 pm

The site looks different. Is it just me? 😀

3. 30 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    June 23, 2012 at 1:57 pm

It’s all about destroying the middle class, America ….

#AmericaThisIsNotATest

#FORWARD

4. 31 Brian
    June 23, 2012 at 1:58 pm

As a retired teacher (34 years in the classroom), the bus video truly sickened me, and I think Blow’s point is a good one. I would just like to add that the current bullying of all public employees (under the guise of anti-unionism) by the Republicans smears and demeans a group of people that might be one of the last bastions fighting the extinction of the middle class in this country. This is another reason why the reelection of our President means so much to me and to this country.

5. 35 sherijr
    June 23, 2012 at 1:58 pm

wow we’re on the same wave length Ms. Chips.. I just read Charles Blows editorial and viewed some of the video with my youngest son – almost 13. We’ve never discussed bullying because he has been homeschooled, however next year for 8th grade he’ll be attending public school. Its really important how Blow transitions from those grade school bullies to the bullying ways of the political right. Although I would add pundits/media to that frame.. as too frequently attempting to bully the President: referring to him as a ‘dick’.. calling him ‘monkey’ .. interrupting him in the Rose Garden and the derogatory comments by ‘writers’ about FLOTUS & POTUS such as that Peggy Noonan and others. Not to mention Congress members.. yelling “you Lie” to POTUS… and the list goes on and on and on.

6. 36 collegekay
    June 23, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Great article. I was bullied in school A LOT. Back then it really made me hate people, in general.

• 37 HZ
      June 23, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Collegekay, my heart is so full to hear you express this. However, I can feel that you are such a beautiful spirit and are taking on life with so much courage, caring for others, and studying so hard in college to make this a better place so others will not have to experience the LOT as you had to deal with while in school. I want to send hugs your way to make the pain go away.

I saw a LOT of bullying while teaching, and that was the one thing that I spent so much time on trying to eradicate from the school where I had that high honor to make sure that students did not have to suffer through that painful and mean-spirit that others place upon lives of other students.

I do confess, it takes a special person with a spirit of firmness, gentleness, caring attitude, compassion at all times to sit, talk, and reason with students who were trying to bully other students. It took a lot out of me, but I prayed very hard, regrouped and went back to try to reach out even more. It was successful because I cared so much, and I was blessed to be able to communicate with the students, the parents, and have a great relationship with my school board members personally and All of my District Superintendents personally.

I made it a personal professional goal each time the board changed superintendents to go in and personally meet with each one., I went in to meet personally with each one of them to share what I needed from them as a teacher. Then I would invite them to my classroom, or my board members would bring them to my classrooms to observe. That was one way to get good policy into the district to help with this situation.

I also was able to have a very supportive parent group who met with me and we had “Talk Out Meetings” which helped with so much of the problems. School psychologists, school counselors, board members, and even department superintendents would be included. It was hard work, but it helped give some guidelines to the administrators, parents, community, district staff, and most of all, the students.

That is why I continue to work so hard to stay connected to helping the young people who are currently in teaching so they can help change the conversation on bullying as we see it today. It pains my heart to still see us struggling with this unhealthy and mean-spirited phase in our young peoples’ lives. Thus we must stay on the ugly and mean-spirited people in our government to stop displaying this ugly and very harmful attitude in the presence of our beautiful young people. Our beautiful young people see this all the time. and it is time to say, “Enough.” HZ

7. June 23, 2012 at 2:04 pm

We as a society have got to get a handle on bullying.

8. 41 carla4obama
    June 23, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Found this from a foundation called MS ACTIVISM FOUNDATION http://msactivism.org/

“Congress has some great health insurance afforded them by the Federal Employee Health Benefits Program. Like the Medicare recipients in the photo above, protesting their own government sponsored program, they too have great access to health care.
    For Congress, it’s the program you subsidize for your representatives in two ways: Your tax dollars pay their salaries and your tax dollars help subsidize their insurance. It’s a fantastic plan. It’s a government plan.
    This foundation has made a point to call out all politicians who are in favor of repealing the Affordable Care Act because in doing so they are threatening the lives of Americans with Multiple Sclerosis and other pre-existing conditions who need the provisions of the Act just to survive.”

What wuld Ann say about others with MS (a pre-existing condition) and the ACA? Just saying

9. June 23, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Okay, I love that GOP Hate logo. Whomever did that is a genius!

• 44 Nena20409
      June 23, 2012 at 2:17 pm

They can try making DeM, using e…but the Donkey would just work out well. That Donkey will kick their azz, LOL.

I agree with you. The person who artistically came up with that logo is a Genius.

10. 45 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    June 23, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Simply ….

#PRESSON

11. 46 Ladyhawke
    June 23, 2012 at 2:25 pm

A CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

The Republican Party has created a culture of viciousness. They treat politics as a blood sport. They have created an atmosphere so toxic that it has rendered our government dysfunctional. There is no seriousness of purpose. How can our democracy function when one of the parties has no interest in governing for the common good?

12. June 23, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Interesting timing for this topic Chips. My mother has been gone nearly five years. She was an avid article clipper. Just today I was cleaning out a desk drawer and found something she had clipped from a newspaper many years ago.

CHILDREN LEARN WHAT THEY LIVE

If a child lives with criticism, he learns to condem;
    If a child lives with hostility, he learns to fight;
    If a child lives with ridicule, he learns to be shy;
    If a child lives in shame, he learns to feel guilty;
    If a child lives with tolerance, he learns to be patient;
    If a child lives with encouragement, he learns confidence;
    If a child lives with praise, he learns to appreciate;
    If a child lives with fairness, he learns justice;
    If a child lives with security, he learns to have faith;
    If a child lives with approval, he learns to like himself;
    If a child lives with acceptance and friendship, he learns to find love in the world.
    Dorothy Law Nolte

13. 54 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    June 23, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Just a matter of time ….

#FORWARD

• June 23, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Let me tell you something, the far left has had it with wars in this country!
      Only if we are attacked directly, would they accept it!
      So, chances are, the Arab League are in their own, we got our own problems here at Home.
      Unless, you want the Military to cancel the cuts, then we will have the resources to go into Syria?
      However, we will be downgraded again!!!

• 56 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
        June 23, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Jovie, we’re all over Syria … and it’s not about starting another war, just the opposite.

#PRESSON

June 23, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Just a thought….Mr. Blows piece got me thinking how low the bar has been set for civility and just common manners.

Last week, I took my 17 year old son to Barnes and Noble. He’s voracious reader, and had his eyes a book…I had a couple gift cards that were burning a hole in my purse. As we got to the doors to go in, two older people were coming out. My son automatically held the door open for them.You’d have thought that my son laid out a red carpet and threw rose petals down around their feet!

“Oh my goodness! Thank you so much! You have such good manners! Mom, your son has SUCH good manners!” On and on and on….
    I had forgotten about this until just now. This is the kind of behavior that both my kids have EVERYDAY. It is not special…it is EXPECTED of them! That’s what WE expect of our children, Everyday. With everyone.

The fact that this little kindness of opening a door and holding it for someone, rated such a production….is sad. And shows how far we have fallen. I dare say that manners and civility and respect for others,,,is at the root of 98% of what ails America.

• June 23, 2012 at 3:26 pm

My 7 year old grandson is being taught to hold doors and give up seats for ladies. He says he’ll do it for really old, old people like me and Bumpa, and for his mom, but not for his 14 year old sister cause she can do it herself. He says it’s not fair that he has to hold the car door, open for her, cause he’s the youngest and littlest, and always have to sit in the back, and she always gets to do stuff, and, and, and……..

It is so refreshing to hear people compliment him when he holds doors in the store, or library.

On a side note though, it wouldn’t have paid for me to have been that monitor. The video would have been “Cookemom loses shoe while monitoring kids on schoolbus. Shoe found by school nurse. News at 11:00”

• 62 0388jojothecat
      June 23, 2012 at 4:12 pm

I saw that video of the elderly woman being bullied and taunted by the young teens and would like to say I am shocked but I am not. My elderly mother rides the public buses and it was disheartening to hear her say that was mild compared to what she has encountered riding with kids that age and in high school. Every word is “N” this (if they are african american”) or “N” that or “MF” and even worst. The boys will hit elderly women in the head with their books by accident and won’t say excuse me or sorry all the while the bus driver does not say a word. My mother avoids riding the bus during the height of school letting out because that is the worst. My neice will be going to middle school after graduating from an elementary school where bullying was near nonexistent. She is a sweet girl and I fear for her survival in a middle school where bullying and drugs are common place but it is the least worst school. Private school is $25K per year and is out of the question. The right wing thinks that having “God” in the classroom and corporal punishment is the answer when it has been proven that neither stops or prevents bullying or good behaviour.

Reading some of the comments, some people think blaming the Republican is wrong and is bullying as well, I disagree. The GOP claims to be the party of “Moral Majority” yet everyone of the right wing pundits on the radio say some of the most hateful things about Democratic Presidents, Speakers, House and Senate members. They attack anyone even little children who advocate for healthcare, better schools, etc. and a young woman who all she did was testify before congress about womens health and she’s called the most vile things and the GOP does not say a word. What do you expect from these parents who vote GOP and their children.

15. 63 pinkbunny92
    June 23, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I hope everyone has been doing well! I’ve been so busy with getting ready for my move. I haven’t had time to check out TOD! Miss you all! I’m probably not going to get a chance until I settle in, to check back in. Take care all! I hope life is treating you all well! 🙂

16. June 23, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Top of the day TODsters!!!! Great getting up day in Chi-town today perfect temps. I caught up with Chris and Washington Journal this morning and have decided that the earth continues to rotate on its axis as it revolves around the sun. I’m going to go out on a limb and surmise that the same will happen tomorrow, regardless the political speak on the Sunday shows. Sooo, if all things considered, the sun can manage to keep shining, so can we keep beaming a light on PBO’s good works.

My political take today is to remember that June ends the second quarter 2012. Let’s give in any capacity we can to help the campaign close out another successful quarter. Also, regardless of the SCOTUS ruling on ACA, we will use it for momentum to GOTV for PBO AND downstream Dem candidates. We will need them to re-introduce ACA should the SCOTUS lose their mind again.

17. June 23, 2012 at 3:24 pm

18. June 23, 2012 at 3:32 pm

PARIS/BERLIN (Reuters) – German Chancellor Angela Merkel will meet French President Francois Hollande on Wednesday ahead of a key European summit, his office said on Saturday, as the two leaders try to square their differing positions on the euro zone debt crisis.

“They will discuss the upcoming EU summit, the international situation and future Franco-German exchanges,” the president’s office said in a statement.

A spokesman for the German government told Reuters earlier on Saturday the meeting would take place.

The meeting comes on the eve of a summit that is being seen as a big moment for the embattled 17-nation euro zone which is struggling to formulate a credible response to a debt crisis that has shaken Greece and steeply pushed up borrowing costs for Spain and Italy.

Kaiser Wilhelm Merkel II…

19. June 23, 2012 at 3:36 pm

8 days…

• 75 Linda
      June 23, 2012 at 3:40 pm

The question is ….what will Reid give away to make the deal ? He already gave away 4.2 billion in SNAP reinstatement for the Farm Bill.

• June 23, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Please don’t give me that emo prog crap?
        What would you have him do, get a AK-47 and tell the house of Republucans- Oh Yeah?
        Jeesh! This is tough!

• 81 Brit
        June 23, 2012 at 4:48 pm

“He already gave away 4.2 billion in SNAP reinstatement for the Farm Bill.”

This is why I am skeptical of the “deal” Harry made for the student loan rates. People can spin the student loan deal all they want, which POTUS probably will sign, but the deal likely comes with many cuts to programs for the poor and middle class.

• 82 Linda
          June 23, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Harkin said the potential agreement would cover the cost in ways both parties have proposed. The deal would likely include pension-related proposals outlined by Reid, including one that would increase premiums for pension insurance, Harkin said. Another proposal, which the Senate included in its highway bill, would allow employers to compute their pension liabilities within a 25-year “stabilization range.” That change would generate fewer tax deductions.

Transportation conferees previously balked at that proposal but Democrats said the provision remains on table in the student-loan negotiations.

The potential deal would likely include a GOP proposal to cut off subsidized student loans after six years, saving about $1.2 billion a year, according to Harkin.

“I was asked about that by the leadership and I said I think that’s good. I don’t mind that at all,” Harkin said.

Harkin said other proposed GOP provisions for offsetting the cost could still be included.

I won’t even attempt to try to understand that. Plus…this is only a ONE YEAR deal

• 83 sabreen60
          June 23, 2012 at 5:44 pm

No offense, but this concern trolling. You don’t know what’s in the deal. You say so yourself. “…..but the deal “LIKELY” comes with many cuts, blah, blah, blah. Hair on fire!!!! Lets wait and see what is in the deal. Maybe you are justified to have your hair on fire. But right now you are guessing and that’s about all – and there’s no spin to the fact that YOU are guessing.

20. June 23, 2012 at 3:40 pm

New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg downplayed reported political differences between himself and President Obama, saying that Obama inherited a difficult situation.

“I happen to think that Obama’s been a much better president than people give him credit for.  He’s in a very difficult situation,” Bloomberg said in an interview with CNN’s Fareed Zakaria shared with POLITICO.

“I don’t agree with him on everything,” Bloomberg said. But, “you’ve got a Congress that is very polarized and partisan. There are problems all over the world.”

“You know, I would always like to see — and I agree with the president on a lot of the social issues. I’d like to see him do more, but you’d always like to see him do more,” Bloomberg said.

The New York mayor, who himself has flirted with the idea of a self-funded presidential run, was overheard at a party saying that Mitt Romney would probably be better at running the country – but Bloomberg could not endorse him over his stances on gun control and abortion.

“It’s easy to say that the president should be doing more, but he’s got a lot of things to balance. And on balance, I think he’s done a good job,” Bloomberg said.

• 85 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
      June 23, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Sent the same to Mr Zakaria ….

#AmericaThisIsNotATest

• 86 4morefor44
      June 23, 2012 at 3:50 pm

“…a much better president than people give him credit for.” wow, i think PBO is one of the best ever so bloomy thinks barack is the best president ever for sure?!? but wait, there’s more?

“…Mitt Romney would probably be better at running the country…” oh. how delusional does one have to be to think this for one single second? if a person expects the president to enrich themselves to the maximal level, then rmoney might be better, but if a person thinks the president should be the leader of the free world, strengthening economies and giving everyone a fair shot, and being just an all around inspiration for the world’s people, then bloomy is living in cuckooland. or just not wanting his taxes to go up at all, which is probably bloomy’s real motivation.

June 23, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Simply put…if you have spent your entire life working for your own self interests to the detriment of others, how does that qualify ANYONE to be the leader of a country?

• 88 Bill
      June 23, 2012 at 3:58 pm

If Bloomberg said at “a party” what was reported what in the world was he basing his comment on. Willard has presented no ideas on what he would do if president.

• 89 sabreen60
        June 23, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Romeny’s ideas would be whatever Koch, Rove, Bloomberg, Alderson and other billionaires tell him. If the Repubs keep the House and win the Senate (which I don’t think will happen), they will simply hand Romney the Bill and Romney will sign it. All he is, is a hand with a pen in it.

• 90 Cha
      June 23, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Okay.. Just endorse him already..you know you want to.

• 92 lamh35
      June 23, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Wow in the Daily Beast no less. I’m not a fan of Tina Brown. Back when I used to watch Morning Joke almost daily, I was not impressed by her apperances on the panel. Plus I’m not at all afan of what she’s does with Newsweek. Newsweek was the first “current affairs” magazine I ever subscribed to (as a part of my high school’s free enterprise class we had 1 semester of “journalism”) so it holds a lil special place in my heart, but ever since Brown became head editor, it seems more like a “let’s make the most controversial cover” enterprise now.

thx Jovie. Gonna post this on my FB page.

21. 93 Ladyhawke
    June 23, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Romney The “Can’t Decider”

By Chris Weigant

—————————–

Once again, can any Romney supporter actually answer the question of what Mitt Romney believes or what he would do if elected? I certainly can’t figure out what the man stands for, other than that he’d prefer it if all of this happened at some future time after he was elected. He won’t even specify what he wants done, just that it preferably happen at some future date.
    As I said, there are indeed people who disagree with Obama’s action, and are out there fighting it on the merits and drawbacks. Mitt Romney is not one of them. I haven’t heard a single critic of President Obama yet say anything remotely like: “Well, Obama is wrong, and Mitt Romney has the right idea on this subject.” Nobody’s defending Romney’s position because he simply doesn’t have one. Or, if he does, he won’t say what it is.

Mitt Romney, to refresh your memory, is running for the office of President of the United States of America. As either the “Can’t Decider” or the “Won’t Decider.” This does not bode well for that hypothetical 3:00 A.M. phone call, folks.

————————————

• June 23, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Well, I know that I don’t want Obama back in the White House. Who cares about what Romney believes in or what he would do if he elected. He could lead us all off a cliff for all I care.

Love,
      Random Willard Supporter.

June 23, 2012 at 6:13 pm

hopefruit2, as long as they get rid of that black President, Mitt Romney can lead them straight to Hell. That is what most of the Republicans feel.

• 96 Cha
      June 23, 2012 at 7:14 pm

A good question for Bloomberg on why he thinks willard would be better at running the country. That’s one of the most disingenuous pieces of bullshit I’ve ever read.

Our Country would be Much Better off if willard scurried to one of the country’s that holds his money.

• 97 HZ
        June 23, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Yes, as I see it and feel deep within my heart, Willard Mitt Romney can “scurry his lying, sorry ass right out of the country and leave us the hell alone. I am so sick of his lying behind self and his sick excuses and blaming POB about everything. He can take his stiff ass and sit down and never get up again, as far as I am concerned. Sorry behind liar. Now that is how I really feel about copy-cat Mitten. LUTHA!!!! HZ

22. June 23, 2012 at 3:56 pm

U.S. officials in Kenya have warned of an “imminent threat” of a terror attack on Mombasa and urged Americans to leave the port city.

Mombasa, the second-largest city and a major tourist spot for the East African nation, is one of various cities targeted by a series of grenade attacks in recent months.

The U.S. Embassy in the capital, Nairobi, said it has suspended all U.S. government travel to Mombasa until July 1.

In Kenya, Ida Odinga is not your average politician’s wife

June 23, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Brought this over from PragmaticObots…Maya Angelou. The AMAZING Maya Angelou.

Still I Rise

You may write me down in history
    With your bitter, twisted lies,
    You may trod me in the very dirt
    But still, like dust, I’ll rise.
    Does my sassiness upset you?
    Why are you beset with gloom?
    ‘Cause I walk like I’ve got oil wells
    Pumping in my living room.
    Just like moons and like suns,
    With the certainty of tides,
    Just like hopes springing high,
    Still I’ll rise.
    Did you want to see me broken?
    Bowed head and lowered eyes?
    Shoulders falling down like teardrops.
    Weakened by my soulful cries.
    Does my haughtiness offend you?
    Don’t you take it awful hard
    ‘Cause I laugh like I’ve got gold mines
    Diggin’ in my own back yard.
    You may shoot me with your words,
    You may cut me with your eyes,
    You may kill me with your hatefulness,
    But still, like air, I’ll rise.
    Does my sexiness upset you?
    Does it come as a surprise
    That I dance like I’ve got diamonds
    At the meeting of my thighs?
    Out of the huts of history’s shame
    I rise
    Up from a past that’s rooted in pain
    I rise
    I’m a black ocean, leaping and wide,
    Welling and swelling I bear in the tide.
    Leaving behind nights of terror and fear
    I rise
    Into a daybreak that’s wondrously clear
    I rise
    Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave,
    I am the dream and the hope of the slave.
    I rise
    I rise
    I rise.

• June 23, 2012 at 4:09 pm

wonderful, I shall use remaining brain cells to commit to memory

June 23, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Maya Angelu sharing ‘Still I Rise’

• 103 Cha
      June 23, 2012 at 7:19 pm

That’s SO Beautiful~ Thank you, desertflower! I shall keep it in my drafts.

• June 23, 2012 at 11:14 pm

Desertflower, thanks for posting this great work by Dr. Maya Angelou. I gave a program from the Nation Wide Program “Facing History.”, and one of my most beautiful and favorite superintendents recited this poem by Dr. Angelou in my session that I presented for my district held in my classroom. (With permission we changed on phrase to be appropriate for the setting with the students.) It was beautiful.

I have Dr. Angelou’s collection of works in my personal library, and this is one of my favorites. When I see things Not as others see them and the journey gets a little difficult, this is one of the poems that I go to and read to put me on a better path.

Desertflower, I just feel in my spirit that you are a beautiful and brilliant teacher. Your students are so blessed to have such a bright, giving, compassionate, and brilliant vessel of great knowledge before them each day. Thank you for your beautiful dedication and beautiful service to our future. HZ

• June 23, 2012 at 11:50 pm

Desertflower, here is another favorite. Langston Hughes, “I, Too Sing America.”

I am the darker brother.
          They send me to eat in the kitchen
          When company comes,
          But I laugh,
          And eat well,
          And grow strong.

Tomorrow
          I’ll be at the table
          When company comes,
          Nobody will dare
          Say to me,
          “Eat in the Kitchen,”
          Then.

Besides,
          They’ll see how beautiful I am
          And be ashamed–
          I too am America.

Sometimes, I feel that great people like Rep. John Lewis, PBO, and so many of us get through the day through all of the hate and ugly mean spirited people because we have stored in the back of our minds and hearts some of the most powerful poetry to remind us of how we have to move amongst the masses of these haters. But we get there. I get there each day, my brother gets there, my great nieces get there, my nieces get their my friends of other beautiful ethnic groups get there. The power of good words, good music help me walk though this life along with my faith.

Let us keep sharing these. Lord knows we as a family here will need them to get us through this election. We need to Not forget to lift up our beautiful Chipsticks daily for this beautiful haven that she has so faithfully kept peaceful for all of to enjoy and share, and support President Obama. Please lift this site up when you do your devotions, meditations, or whatever way you express your inner spirits to a good and decent place.
          (((((((((((((((((((((( I love you all so much, and I love what we stand for on this site.)))))))))))))))))))))) Thanks for giving me hope daily.HZ

24. 106 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    June 23, 2012 at 4:00 pm

#PRESSON

June 23, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Yes…and he calls them LIES in this piece…yet the title still uses the softer “mendacity”….he needs to change that to change the narrative.

I found this interesting:

As MSNBC’s Steve Benen told me:

“Romney gets away with it because he and his team realize contemporary political journalism isn’t equipped to deal with a candidate who lies this much, about so many topics, so often.”

Romney is charting new and untraveled waters in American politics. In the process, he is cynically eroding the fragile sense of trust that exists between voters and politicians. It’s almost enough to make one pine for the days when Sarah Palin lied about “the Bridge to Nowhere”.

I read that to be a BIG MIDDLE FINGER SALUTE to the press…because they can’t/won’t do their jobs…as we will continue to lie and lie, and lie…because he (Romney) will never be publicly called out or shamed for his lies.

• 108 0388jojothecat
        June 23, 2012 at 4:31 pm

If the media – television and print won’t call out Liar Robme then we have to. Where ever he goes their needs to be signs saying “LIALIAR PANTS ON FIRE” or “Pinocchio Romney has arrived in USA CITY”.

25. 109 Ladyhawke
    June 23, 2012 at 4:06 pm

THEY RELINQUISH THEIR JUDGMENT TO GROVER NORQUIST & MAKE MOCKERY OF OUR DEMOCRACY

GOP Congress Members Have Private Audience with Pope Grover, Seek His Blessing

By Susie Madrak

————————-

Isn’t that nice. The single most influential man in Republican politics sits down with his minions, gives them their marching orders (which of course supersede their oath of office) and then says, “Gridlock? Who, me?” No, threatening anyone who deviates from your orders with a million-dollar primary challenge is just good government!

WASHINGTON — All but 13 of the 289 Republicans in the House and Senate have signed a pledge vowing to oppose tax increases. On Thursday, the author of that pledge met with some of them to help them understand exactly what it is they signed.

—————————-

• 110 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
      June 23, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Good day Lh!

#PRESSON

• 111 Nena20409
      June 23, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Truth be told, Only about 20 TBGOPers showed up to meet his lordship Grover Norquist. In the past, he would have had 200 or more to come before him and bow. Also, John McCain now is saying that Taxes are needed. I took it as a ploy for their wish, should they get their dream candidate. God Forbid.

26. 112 carla4obama
    June 23, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Bullies/Liars often go unchecked because no one calls them out. We are Horrified about the bullies on the bus…no one stooped them. This was not done in isolation. Liars……They lie because they can, who will call them out? Our children..well they just see what adults do.

The serial bully:
    • is a convincing, practiced liar and when called to account, will make up anything spontaneously to fit their needs at that moment.

27. 113 lisalovesobama
    June 23, 2012 at 4:27 pm

stuffing my face with Publix sub and watching “I Love Lucy” reruns on TV Land. New Rove ad just came on with PBO on loop saying: “the private sector is doing fine.” the guy with a not so scary voice keeps saying PBO is out of touch therefore how can we expect him to solve the economy if he can’t admit that there is a problem? what an ass. that new poll that showed a 10 point swing in PBO’s favor in Florida must have really but a fire under Rove’s ass. {{SMH}} that poll is amazing. I’ve been inundated with a lot of ‘PBO is a disappointment and can’t fix the economy’ ads for a while now (before the poll came out) and it’s amazing the effect they’ve had: NONE AT ALL . Infact, regardless of all those dumb ads, people seem to trust and support him more, the more they are exposed to that republican disease aka Willard A-hole Romney.

28. 114 Ladyhawke
    June 23, 2012 at 4:28 pm

MITT ROMNEY: PROFESSIONAL LIAR

By Robert Parry (March 23, 2012)

—————————————-

But is such imperious lying really a good thing for a democracy? Should any politician feel that he has the right – and the invulnerability – to lie at will? Does the country really need a president who might convincingly tell the people that, say, Iran has WMDs justifying another war, or that some unpopular group of Americans represents a grave threat to U.S. security?
    In Romney’s previous career – as a corporate raider – lying may have been a part of the job, in lulling a company’s long-time owners into complacency or convincing some well-meaning investors that massive layoffs won’t be necessary. Then, wham-o, the company founders are out, their loyal workforce is on the street, and the company can be “reorganized” for a big profit.

Arguably, Romney learned his skill as a liar from those days at Bain Capital – and he has put it to good use as a politician, taking opposite sides of issue after issue, from abortion rights to global warming to government mandates that citizens buy health insurance to whether stay-at-home mothers “work” or not.

Indeed, as New York Times columnist Paul Krugman noted on Monday, Romney’s whole campaign is based on a cynical belief that Americans suffer from “amnesia” about what caused the nation’s economic mess and that they will simply blame President Obama for not quickly fixing it.

—————————————————

June 23, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Great, great piece!! He pretty much confirms what we knew all along. The MSM twists to favor Republican’Ts words and deeds.

• 116 Ladyhawke
        June 23, 2012 at 5:06 pm

I agree. It’s a fascinating and troubling read. Very informative. Robert Parry makes it plain. We need more truth tellers like him.

• 117 nathkatun7
      June 23, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Thanks, Ladyhawke for sharing this excellent article by Robert Perry. It’s a must read for everyone. It exposes Romney’s lies as the failure of mainstream media to accurately inform the public about these lies. I especially liked this passage in the article that sets Romney apart from other politicians when it comes to lying:

“There is something special about Romney’s lying, distinct even from Reagan’s loose connection to the truth or Clinton’s sleazy lies about his infidelity or Bush’s disregard for facts. Romney’s lying is more calculating. It’s professional.’

June 23, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Chips…..I really like the blue:)

30. 125 Ladyhawke
    June 23, 2012 at 4:36 pm

ROMNEY THE LIAR

==================

Because There Are Liars, There Are DAMNED Liars, and Then There’s MITT ROMNEY.

===================

31. 126 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    June 23, 2012 at 4:49 pm

A bit of levity – endorsed by Ms Cutter!

I can imagine President Obama, David Axelrod, etc., ROFL 😀

#FORWARD

32. 132 Ladyhawke
    June 23, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Romney “Sick at Heart” Over Bain Job Losses

—————————————————————

Back in 2007, Republican White House hopeful Mitt Romney declared that taking a big payment from a company that later failed “would make me sick, sick at heart.” If so, Romney by now must be badly in need of a quadruple by-pass. Because as the New York Times became just the latest to report, through massive consulting fees, sales of stock and, most perversely, dividend payments, Romney and his partners at Bain Capital reaped whirlwind profits even when the companies they acquired collapsed.

Back in January, McClatchy offered this primer on how private equity firms like Bain Capital work, at least on paper:
    As candidate Romney explained at a GOP debate back in June 2007, “Don’t forget that when companies earn profit, that money is supposed to be reinvested in growth.”

But as the New York Times documented Friday, large sums of that money were going to Mitt Romney and his Bain colleagues whether their portfolio companies were profitable or not. Put another way, Bain won either way:

Bain structured deals so that it was difficult for the firm and its executives to ever really lose, even if practically everyone else involved with the company that Bain owned did, including its employees, creditors and even, at times, investors in Bain’s funds.

————————————————————–

June 23, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Testing…..

• 134 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
      June 23, 2012 at 5:07 pm

1, 2, 3 ….

• June 23, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Congratulations!!! Due to your hard work and study ethics, you pass the test with flying colors! TOD Certificate of Satisfaction duly awarded. Official award ceremony to begin shortly, or as soon as you show up.

34. 142 whatisworking
    June 23, 2012 at 5:07 pm

First-graders protest Starbucks to save local coffee shop

Karma

35. 143 whatisworking
    June 23, 2012 at 5:08 pm

RGGI States Cut CO2 By 23 Percent In First Three Years

Now to spread it to the entire country

36. 144 prettyfoot58
    June 23, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Very good read from Smartypants

And so I would simply ask that those of us who care about health insurance reform and support what President Obama and the Democrats have done to move that ball forward – please prepare to engage your brains along with your despair/anger/fear if this happens. We’re going to need that now more than ever!

37. 145 whatisworking
    June 23, 2012 at 5:09 pm

California Puts Initiative To Label Genetically Modified Foods On November Ballot

38. 146 whatisworking
    June 23, 2012 at 5:10 pm

How JP Morgan Makes Hundreds Of Millions Of Dollars On Food Assistance Programs

June 23, 2012 at 5:16 pm

I’m liking this blue 🙂 A teeny tiny tensy bit lighter…of the same color…..would do the trick! If you can’t, then step away from the computer!

• 150 lisalovesobama
      June 23, 2012 at 5:18 pm

really? I was wondering what it would look like a little bit darker like the color Miche wore on that first campaign rally? remember?

June 23, 2012 at 5:28 pm

No…don’t remember…I think it looks great now…but thought that it should look more like the blue in the “Hope” poster…..regardless, it really spiced the place up. Looking good, Chips!

40. 152 lisalovesobama
    June 23, 2012 at 5:19 pm

“Stephanie Cutter don’t want no scrub……”

41. 153 lamh35
    June 23, 2012 at 5:21 pm

I just came across this picture and is made me laugh, so I’m sharing it! The kids face in this is priceless even with out the words.

June 23, 2012 at 5:27 pm

SO did you know that the huge wildfire in Utah was started by target shooters?

Two guys shooting guns, and thousands pay for it. What’s wrong with this picture?

• June 23, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Taxes that they do not want to pay, is paying for it! NRA should be paying. Have Mitt said anything about it yet or is he too busy indulging the rich.

• June 23, 2012 at 5:36 pm

If Spit had his way, there’d be no firefighters fighting the blaze.

June 23, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Or there would be PRIVATE FIRE COMPANIES…FOR PROFIT! If you didn’t get to your FF bill that month, and the fire from the guys shooting guns in the tinderbox comes raging through your area….tough shit, baby!

June 23, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Yeah, well…good thing for the 2nd Amendment! Bear arms but not responsibility.

June 23, 2012 at 5:52 pm

I posted about this bullying in the “A man’s best friend” thread.

Via BBC, I watched a teann vid where some middle schoolers were harassing and bullying an elderly lady in their school bus. The teann lady was all acting poutraged over the ‘hideous and unspeakable things they said to this lady’. Really, teann lady ? After your types mainstream the foul language and garbage that spew out of rightwingers 24×7 and the uncontrolled cable news and talk radio junk that fill the air 24×7, you act all red-in-the-face and veins-popping on a buncha kids over bullying ? Where do you think these kids picked up this shite ? From adults, who nod approvingly at their television and radios when such garbage is being aired.

@POTUS