Jul

Rise and Shine

Monday and Tuesday: The President will be at Camp David, he returns to Washington on Tuesday.

Wednesday: The President and the First Lady will celebrate the Fourth of July by hosting military heroes and their families for an Independence Day celebration with a barbeque, concert and a view of fireworks on the South Lawn. Staff and their families from throughout the Administration will also attend this event for the concert and fireworks viewing.

Thursday and Friday: The President will travel to Ohio and Pennsylvania for a campaign bus tour.

Cagle

E.J. Dionne: …. polling in swing states suggesting that Mitt Romney’s tenure at Bain Capital is hurting him could have larger implications for where this campaign will move.

…. As Democrats, mostly from Washington and New York, debated the efficacy of attacks on Romney’s role in Bain, an entirely different conversation was being driven in the swing states, courtesy of ads broadcast by the Obama campaign and especially by Priorities USA Action, the pro-Obama super PAC. The ads portray highly sympathetic workers who lost their jobs and companies that collapsed even as Bain’s principals made substantial profits.

An NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll last week provided surprisingly dramatic evidence of how much these commercials are wounding Romney.

In the country as a whole, 23 percent said they viewed Romney more positively because of his experience “managing a firm that specializes in buying, restructuring and selling companies,” while 28 percent said this made them view Romney more negatively. But in this year’s 12 battleground states, many of which have gotten a heavy run of the anti-Bain ads, only 18 percent viewed Romney’s business experience positively; 33 percent viewed it negatively. Obama led Romney by three points nationally but by eight in the battlegrounds.

This is disturbing news for Romney….

More here

Morning everyone 😉

162 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. July 2, 2012 at 7:21 am

Good morning everyone. Happy Monday.

• 2 Roberta in MN
      July 2, 2012 at 7:22 am

Congrats Africatimes2 on being first. Good Morning to you too.

• July 2, 2012 at 7:23 am

Morning Africa, morning everyone 😉

• July 2, 2012 at 7:33 am

Morning Chips, thanks for all you do. I am especially grateful because during the day, most of news is lost on me, as I cannot access TOD at my job. But I can always count on TOD when I get home to get my fill. Not to mention the excellent discussions.

Hope everyone’s Monday will be a brighter one, for some perhaps a cooler one, given the heat wave across the country.

• July 2, 2012 at 7:36 am

Hiya Africa. That’s exactly how I use the site too, if it’s been a busy day I just come here and read the chat, and then I’ve fully caught up with the news! I’d be lost without these people! Hope all’s good with you Africa.

• 7 utaustinliberal
        July 2, 2012 at 10:54 am

Wonderful sight to view.

2. 8 LunarSea
    July 2, 2012 at 7:21 am

morning all

3. 14 Roberta in MN
    July 2, 2012 at 7:21 am

First??? Good Morning All & chips

4. 16 LunarSea
    July 2, 2012 at 7:22 am

congrats africatimes2. rushing off to work. hope your day is fantabulous. (and everyone elses)

5. July 2, 2012 at 7:31 am

Morning everyone, morning Ms Chips! I’m just checking in….. congrats on first africatimes2, hope everyone has a great Monday!

6. 19 Linda
    July 2, 2012 at 7:40 am

ok…good morning.

I just shot off 2 e-mails to TeaNN…… the promo showed that the 7 AM show will be having Congressman Dr.Tom Price and failed facelift Congresswoman Blackburn on to discuss the ACA law.

My question to them was after my mini rant. ” Which Democrats are scheduled to DEFEND the law ” ?

Also let them know that Don Lemon spilled the beans on his show last night when have a back and forth about the Major screwup TeaNN made when announcing the Supreme Court ruling…..saying that TeaNN is a ” Conservative ” network. They were discussing the ” Liberal media “

• July 2, 2012 at 7:45 am

They are trying to be Fox-lite, that’s why their ratings continue to tumble.

• 21 jackiegrumbacher
        July 2, 2012 at 7:52 am

The stupidity of appealing to the same base as FOX is really astounding. There is a vast audience of moderate to liberal viewers to be tapped that every single network ignores. Is it a death wish? Do they have any idea how many people just turn off their tvs rather than be subjected to endless rightwing talking points? I wish I had a way to determine how many people have stopped using tv as a source of information like I have. I’ll bet it’s bigger than anyone things.

• July 2, 2012 at 8:06 am

Exactly Jackie. The last report said that CNN ratings had plunged by 21 percent. They still don’t get the message.

• 23 nathkatun7
          July 2, 2012 at 5:39 pm

I have too, JackieG! I also know some friends who used to CNN junkies but have been turned off both by what they see happening there.

• 24 Bill
      July 2, 2012 at 7:53 am

Price and Blackburn are two of the most irritating goobers in their party. Using those two as spokespeople is not going to change any minds in their favor. But, thanks for emailing TeaNN.

• 25 ChristiMTL
      July 2, 2012 at 8:35 am

I saw that on Mediaite!….saw the clip….he did say TeaNN is a conservative network…..there you go…..what a shock….

July 2, 2012 at 7:46 am

GM folks and Chips

8. 33 donna dem 4 obama
    July 2, 2012 at 7:47 am

GM TOD. What a harrowing experience this weekend with 100+ degree weather with no power, power lines and trees down everywhere from one storm that lasted maybe 15 minutes Friday night. That storm was so destructive. We got our power back last night. I just spent the morning catching up.

I notice that Hopefruit2 is not online yet. If I remember correctly she lives in one of the counties where the storm hit the hardest in Maryland. I pray she and her family are okay.

Congrats to all the TOD Fundraisers who ended the month with a bang!

Have a great productive O’Day Everyone!!

• July 2, 2012 at 7:55 am

Hi Donna,
      Hope you are weathering the heat. And I hope that Hopefruit is OK, too. Most of my siblings live up there, many were without power this weekend. Have a good day.

• July 2, 2012 at 8:36 am

Good morning Chips, africa, TOD, everyone, and especially to you donna dem and all the Maryland TODers! Glad to hear that you are safe and now have power.

Yes, this had to be one of the most severe and destructive thunderstorms I’ve seen. No power all weekend, trees uprooted and on the ground. The good thing is that we are safe and I had taken this week off from work due to the holiday and family visits throughout the week. We left early for CT yesterday because it became too unbearably hot in MD with no AC! I think power has been restored as of this morning so hopefully it remains that way when I return. 🙂

• 36 ChristiMTL
        July 2, 2012 at 8:41 am

I’m glad to know that everyone is safe Hope!…I missed you around here……nice to see you back!

• July 2, 2012 at 8:50 am

Phew Hopefruit, relieved to see you here and hear you’re okay, what nightmarish weather. Look after yourself – and stay cool!

• 38 nathkatun7
        July 2, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Wonderful to know you are safe, hopefruit2! I have family and friends in MD and I was’t able to reach them until yesterday. The storm must have been terrible.

• 39 jackiegrumbacher
      July 2, 2012 at 9:02 am

Donna, our daughter, just entering her 8th month of pregnancy lives in Northern Virginia. This summer’s heat has been miserable for her and then she and her husband had two days of power outages and had to retreat to a friends house in a non affected area. I pray they get a break in the heat–she’s getting more tired by the day and still has seven weeks to go.

• 40 CEB
      July 2, 2012 at 10:23 am

Help is on the way. A caravan of technicians and trucks from JEA is on its way to Virginia to help to restore power.
      Meanwhile, Rick Scott is asking for Florida to be declared a disaster area to get federal funds to deal with the flood damage to intrastructer after Debbie. MMM, okay to use federal agencies when he wants to access funds, but he refused the stimulus funds and the transportation funds to build high speed rails and is foolishly saying that he will break federal law be refusing to implement the ACA. This man is such a disaster for our state.

9. July 2, 2012 at 7:53 am

The wisdom of PBO and his campaign to keep on doing what they do while people who don’t know zip just run their mouths. They kept their cool when people of all stripes told them they were wrong for examining Mitt’s Bain record.

Ha. Bain lives on. http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2012/07/romney-bain-about-when-romney-left-firm-documents-show?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Motherjones%2Fmojoblog+%28MotherJones.com+%7C+MoJoBlog%29

• 42 a4alice
      July 2, 2012 at 7:59 am

unfracking believable what a liar this Romney cat is. blows my mind. No sane Republican out there would vote for him.

• 43 nathkatun7
      July 2, 2012 at 5:53 pm

I agree with you. After all Willard “Mitt” Romney made his experience as businessman as his main qualification for the presidency.

10. 44 Ladyhawke
    July 2, 2012 at 7:55 am

They Can’t Be Trusted: A Virtual Road Map of Republicans’ Governmental Incompetence

By Milt Shook – Please Cut The Crap

———————————-

Republicans are not to be trusted with the economy. Every major economic problem in this country for the last century can be traced to the GOP. They keep proposing the same economic policies they’ve pushed since the 1920s, which have been proven detrimental time and time again. They’re always on about an “unregulated free market,” which would be a recipe for disaster, if it wasn’t pure fantasy. Unregulated free markets are what keep drug kingpins in business.

The proof that the current Republican Party is incompetent goes far beyond national economic policiess, however. They’ve been running certain states for decades, and they’ve been implementing their policies in such places for at least that long. If their approach to government is so effective, those states should be relative paradise, shouldn’t they? I mean, if they have the right answers, shouldn’t all of the red states be virtual paradise? And if Democratic policies are so bad for the country, shouldn’t blue states be decrepit cesspools of filth and decay?
    Put simply, the current incarnation of the Republican Party consists of hypocrites. But more importantly, their political philosophy is KILLING the country. They have to be purged from the government, which we can’t do if we’re screaming that “both parties are the same,” or some other such nonsense. If you care about this country and the 99%, you’ll set as a priority getting rid of these incompetent people.

——————————————-

July 2, 2012 at 7:57 am

Happy, happy, happy today since my 75 year old aunt’s bypass surgery went off well today morning and she is out of the OT and in ICU.

• 47 a4alice
      July 2, 2012 at 8:02 am

whew! glad to hear AMK 🙂

• 48 amk for obama
        July 2, 2012 at 8:07 am

Thanks Alice. She is a well accomplished and well educated (D.Litt no less) woman.

• July 2, 2012 at 8:40 am

Great news amk, may her recovery be speedy!

• 50 ChristiMTL
      July 2, 2012 at 8:44 am

Great news amk!…I hope she’s back to her old self soon.

• 51 amk for obama
        July 2, 2012 at 8:51 am

Thanks Chips and Christi. This is a woman I admire very much. Her good-for-nothing husband abandoned her when she was having her second child. She single handedly raised both of her children. One is a doctor and the other a dentist now. She has given great speeches at BBC London radio.

Even before this dicey operation, she was confident and not afraid at all. My grandma had 5 daughters and 1 son. She is the smartest of them all.

July 2, 2012 at 10:05 am

Good morning, amk…And everyone:) Glad to hear that she’s alright….as for those that had to endure those nasty Friday storms…..omg. I hope that power is restored soon and life gets back to normal for all of you. I had no idea that they hit Ohio…I thought it was just Maryland, VA, DC area…that’s bad enough. I spoke to my sister in Columbus yesterday…she said that it was a mess, and that 300.000 people were w/o power and trees were across roads and on homes.I was so surprised to hear that! She has power, so everyone is camping out at her house….I hope that everyone is safe and clean up is swift. She said that there was a lot of neighbor helping neighbor going on…that’s what we do, that’s who we are. Be well, and stay safe.

• July 2, 2012 at 11:20 am

Great news amk. Will be thinking of you both.

• 55 nathkatun7
      July 2, 2012 at 5:56 pm

That’s wonderful news, amk! I wish her a speedy recovery.

• 56 amk for obama
        July 2, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Thank you so much, nath. Today’s morning news is she is doing fine and is conscious.

12. 57 Ladyhawke
    July 2, 2012 at 7:57 am

Of Course the ACA Is Constitutional — In Praise of the Preamble

By Milt Shook – Please Cut The Crap

——————————-

Until the ACA, we were the only nation in the world in which the people had no right to basic health care. Reading the preamble, how likely do you think it is that the Founders would think such a thing satisfied the concept of a “more perfect union”? How can we be a “more perfect union” if every other nation in the world is able to take care of its citizens, but we aren’t? How much “liberty” do we as a people have, really, if we have the greatest medical system in the world, but it’s only available to those with the money to pay for it?

The arguments against the “constitutionality” of Obamacare are ridiculous on their face. Health insurance IS “interstate commerce,” and Congress not only has a right, but a duty, to regulate it. And it most certainly fulfills the intent laid out in the Preamble. Therefore, unless someone can come up with a rational reason as to how the ACA actually impairs someone’s rights, or expands government power in any significant and unprecedented way, any complaints of “unconstitutionality” seem to be little more than a whine.

It’s time we honored the Constitution — the entire Constitution — and stopped using it as a wet wipe. And it might also help if some of those proclaiming such expertise as to what’s in it actually read the thing. It would make for a much more honest debate.

—————————————

• 58 jackiegrumbacher
      July 2, 2012 at 8:00 am

Mitt Shook nails it. Thanks, LH.

• 60 nathkatun7
      July 2, 2012 at 6:13 pm

This is an excellent piece by Milt Shook. People do need to read the preamble of the U.S. Constitution which, according to the founders, sets out these goals for the government of the United States:
      1. Establishment of Justice.
      2. Insuring domestic tranquility.
      3. Providing for the common defense.
      4. Promoting THE GENERAL WELFARE.
      5. Securing the blessings of liberty to (themselves) and to their posterity.

I highlighted the promotion of the general welfare because I strongly believe that focusing on the healthcare of all Americans plays a major part in promoting the general welfare of the country.

13. 61 Ladyhawke
    July 2, 2012 at 8:06 am

EXCLUSIVE: Snyder appointee to elections board has connections to ALEC, Heritage Foundation & other pro-business lobby groups

By Electablog

—————————–

Out of the frying pan and into the fire

On June 18th, Sterling Corporation employee and Jeff Timmer resigned from the Board of State Canvassers, leaving only one Republican on the elections board and a Democratic majority. While some feared that the remaining Republican, Norm Shinkle, would resign as well, leaving the group without a quorum and unable to approve a number of ballot initiatives pending for the November election, Governor Rick Snyder acted quickly and last week appointed Colleen Pero to the Board.

Described in glowing terms on the official announcement, Pero sounds like an innocuous and innocent choice. The truth is, however, quite the opposite. Colleen Pero has deep connections to the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC), the Heritage Foundation, the Federalist Society and a host of other far-right, pro-business lobby groups.

————————————————-

14. July 2, 2012 at 8:15 am

Knew it was inevitable but much of free access to news on sites across the country is going the way of the dinosaur. More and more I cannot read beyond the headline unless I pay $12.99, or whatever.

• 63 Bill
      July 2, 2012 at 8:25 am

I wonder if The Washington Post will attempt charging. They would have a difficult time. The once great paper is a shadow of what it once was.

15. 64 ChristiMTL
    July 2, 2012 at 8:25 am

Morning everyone…….

16. 65 Ladyhawke
    July 2, 2012 at 8:27 am

GOP lawmakers: Romney needs to distance himself from Bush

———————————-

Republican lawmakers say Mitt Romney should distance himself from former President George W. Bush.

Such a move, they say, would take away a key political advantage from President Obama, who has repeatedly suggested Romney would embrace Bush-like policies in the White House.

——————————————

• 66 ChristiMTL
      July 2, 2012 at 8:31 am

huh? what he’s proposing is the same policies on steroid, the same…….if he wanted to distance himself from Bush, why does he have so many Bushies in his foreign policy team like John Bolton, Dan Senor, etc?….

• 67 Linda
      July 2, 2012 at 8:44 am

oh…they are telling to just lie…..how typical of Republicans.

• 68 jackiegrumbacher
      July 2, 2012 at 9:11 am

There is no way Romney can distance himself from GWB. To do that he would have to defy the far right by leaning left and they won’t tolerate that. The GOP has nothing to offer but tired policies that don’t work and a lot of worn out bromides. Romney is incapable of the kind of creativity it would take to offer something different and new. Besides, he’s got too much footage showing the real Romney to pull off a shapeshifting act. He already has zero credibility. Who could he get to believe him if he said that everything he’s stated so far is wrong and here’s what he”ll really do? Ann? Any Romney relatives under the age of 5?

17. 69 auntsis522
    July 2, 2012 at 8:28 am

GM TOD: I am on vacation in GA. I left SFL early yesterday. I am in Savannah and it was extremely hot yesterday. The power went out at my hotel around 9PM LAST NIGHT. Frightenly fantastic lightening storm. I felt like I was in my sf novel. Its abou 8:30am and no power yet. I hope it is restored by the time I return from seeing the city. Hope everyone have a wonder day day!!

July 2, 2012 at 8:28 am

Any one heard from hopefruit ? I haven’t seen her here in the past few days.

July 2, 2012 at 8:42 am

G’morning amk! I’m doing well. We had a nasty storm on Friday night and lost power through Sunday. Wasn’t able to do anything computer-wise and needed to conserve energy on my phone, so couldn’t really post. I’m out of town this week spending time with family but have my laptop with me.

July 2, 2012 at 8:33 am

It’s ezra. Still the chart is pretty good.

Since the Supreme Court decision, Republicans have been calling the Affordable Care Act “the largest tax increase in the history of the world.” Politifact rates this false. Kevin Drum’s got a table of the 15 significant tax increases since 1950, and the Affordable Care Act, which amounts to a tax increase of 0.49 percent of GDP, comes in 10th. Austin Frakt took Drum’s table and made a chart:

• 76 ChristiMTL
      July 2, 2012 at 8:38 am

Pants on fire false…

• July 2, 2012 at 8:52 am

• 78 donna dem 4 obama
        July 2, 2012 at 9:43 am

BINGO! Go get ’em Axelrod. I tell you this media is our biggest obstacle to this year’s election. The constant passes that Romney and his minions get on issue after issue and event after event is outrageous. If we get a couple hundred empty seats out of a 18,000 seat area it becomes news for days but closeup shots of Romney’s paultry events is the order of the day for our media. Then on the rare occassion that he gets a couple thousand he is deemed gaining ground on the President because he got a few fools to come out and listen to his lying self. I am so disgusted with this media. I just wish I had the time to hammer them day-in and day-out. Glad to see Ax get on them about their bias.

20. 79 Ladyhawke
    July 2, 2012 at 8:34 am

There IS a Difference Between Democrats & Today’s GOP: Issue #2 – Health Care

Milt Shook – Please Cut The Crap

————————————————

As for costs, Republicans are always talking about the incredible costs of the ACA, or “Obamacare,” and that’s a complete load of garbage. Our health care costs already top $2.7 trillion every year. Before the ACA, most of that cost was borne by the 85% of you who had health insurance. Fully 15% of the population was forbidden from paying into the system. The measures in the ACA will not only reduce overall costs because more people will get preventive care, but they will also reduce per capita costs, because virtually everyone will be paying into the system.

Republicans think everyone paying into the insurance pool, and everyone receiving treatment before they need life saving care are bad things. Republicans tell us more people contributing to the system will make things more expensive. They think controlling insurance company costs and making sure all medical bills are paid will make the system less efficient. None of that makes any sense, and is patently untrue.

There’s a major difference between Democrats and Republicans. Make sure everyone understand this.

———————————————-

21. 82 Linda
    July 2, 2012 at 8:36 am

Romney Invested in Medical-Waste Firm That Disposed of Aborted Fetuses, Government Documents Show

And these documents challenge Romney’s claim that he left Bain Capital in early 1999.

• 83 globalcitizenlinda
      July 2, 2012 at 8:47 am

it would be important to link this story to rightwing sites – a post ans duck situation – or send it to your very vocal people who claim to support mitt the entitled bullying liar sorely because they claim to be pro-life

July 2, 2012 at 10:32 am

It needs to get to Axe…and some newspapers and media outlets….

• 85 utaustinliberal
      July 2, 2012 at 10:57 am

The rightwing evangelicals are not going to like this.

22. 86 Squarepeg
    July 2, 2012 at 8:36 am

Good morning Chips and all her dips (sorry it rhymed) :). I need a HUGE FAVOR, por favor. I need a jpg of the benefits of ACA. There’s someone spreading misinformation on a forum I go to, and this needs to be confronted and counteracted. I’ll check back to see if anyone responded, thanks.

23. 90 globalcitizenlinda
    July 2, 2012 at 8:42 am

morning everyone,

with the SCOTUS ruling on thursday, I believe that 3 of the things we need to continue focusing our efforts on are:

– voter registration

– fundraising

– educating people about the benefits of ACA and defending ObamaCares – especially to those very opposed or those who are on the fence. most people are relying on the lies gop spreads so we need to work really hard on sharing the positive information

• 91 Bill
      July 2, 2012 at 9:17 am

I have had encounters with two Willard supporters since the decision with absolutely no success.They simply do not care about any facts. Cognitive dissonance at its worst.

24. 92 ChristiMTL
    July 2, 2012 at 8:43 am

I follow Huff on Twitter but never click on the links….if I see someone that caught my attention, I try to find it somewhere else since they steal all their stories anyway….sooooo…

They just posted this:

Huffington Post ‏@HuffingtonPost

Obama, Romney struggle to win over Latinos

mmmmms say what???

• 93 ChristiMTL
      July 2, 2012 at 8:48 am

*something …not someone lol

• 95 Linda
      July 2, 2012 at 9:03 am

They also have a ” Youth Enthusiasm Gap ” story as there Main article today……

• July 2, 2012 at 9:14 am

Then the Ny Times says that Obama struggles with 18-24 year olds. They say big opportunity for Mittens.
      Every week, an article that Obama is losing this group and that group.
      Patty Hearst is the Campaign Manager for Robney?

• 97 jackiegrumbacher
      July 2, 2012 at 9:17 am

You just listed a good reason never to click on Huff Post. They are shills for the GOP and their headline writers are drama queens.

• 98 Cman
      July 2, 2012 at 10:51 am

I read that last night. It was laughable. There was no new poll or anything just meer conjecture. They ran straight to the presses after collecting one or two Latinos anecdote saying they ‘might’ possibly vote for Romney. Where these types of stories are for Romney when one or two working class whites say they would vote for Obama escapes me.

25. July 2, 2012 at 8:46 am

By ALEXANDER BURNS | 7/2/12 7:26 AM EDT
    The Democratic independent group House Majority PAC and the labor giant SEIU are teaming up to spend $20 million on congressional races this fall, a strategist familiar with the plans confirms to POLITICO.

The two groups have reserved airtime in several dozen congressional races, with House Majority PAC shouldering about 80 percent of the cost.

I reported recently on the partnerships cropping up between Democratic-leaning groups to fight the GOP’s financial superiority, and this is a prime example of that trend. SEIU has also teamed up with the pro-Obama super PAC Priorities USA Action to run ads courting Latino voters for the president.

House Majority PAC clocked a significant win recently when it helped Democrats retain control of Arizona’s 8th Congressional District, the seat of former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords.

26. July 2, 2012 at 8:53 am

Oops! Meant to place comment here:

• 102 Melanie
      July 2, 2012 at 9:31 am

Mark Knoller going after David Axelord on twitter. He’s pissy early in the morning.

Same might be asked of @davidaxelrod

• 103 ChristiMTL
        July 2, 2012 at 9:45 am

Mark Knoller ‏@markknoller

Same might be asked of @davidaxelrod why press barred from 25 Obama Campaign fundraisers so far this year.

33m Mark Knoller Mark Knoller ‏@markknoller

Obama Campaign advisor David Axelrod tweets this morning on press barred from Romney meeting last week with Rupert Murdoch.

Ohhh Knoller is not happy……

• 104 Melanie
        July 2, 2012 at 9:47 am

Sorry the whole tweet didn’t copy but Knoller is complaining again about press being blocked from campaign coverage.

• 105 ChristiMTL
          July 2, 2012 at 9:57 am

It was fundraisers……….
          I sent him 2 tweets………..one about the difference between meeting a media mogul behind closed doors and a fundraiser.

Second, did he cover the fact that Rove, the founder of a Super Pac was at Romney's retreat for a weekend? It's against campaign laws…

*crickets*

Knoller is a tool.

• 106 Cha
          July 2, 2012 at 5:20 pm

MAYBE IF “THE PRESS” REPORTED THE FREAKING FACTS ABOUT LIAR..”THE PRESS” WOULD BE INVITED? Ever think about that mark troller?

• July 2, 2012 at 9:56 am

I love the way Knoller shows his true colors when he’s in one of his moods. What a lying piece of crap:

27. 112 Pamela
    July 2, 2012 at 9:01 am

“Kindness and a good heart are the underlying foundation for success in this life and making progress on the spiritual path.” ~ HHDL
    2 July 2012. @DalaiLama

July 2, 2012 at 9:03 am

July 2, 2012 at 9:04 am

30. July 2, 2012 at 9:10 am

Twist everything, take our talking points and copy our ads, to confuse People.
    This morning, Halperin said that Obama is winning the air war, but after Labor Day voter Engagement is what matters.
    You see? Those are our talking points.
    They are playing mind games, even His ads sound like ours!

• 118 jackiegrumbacher
      July 2, 2012 at 9:20 am

Jovie if the president is winning the air wars with less money that’s really the news. As for voter engagement, do you really think there’s even an issue of who’s best at this, given that OFA has developed the most impressive ground game in history.

31. 119 Ladyhawke
    July 2, 2012 at 9:12 am

When the Supreme Court leaks
    By Felix Salmon
    July 2, 2012

————————————

As Crawford says, “the justices are notoriously close-lipped, and their law clerks must agree to keep matters completely confidential”. And yet, we’re now seeing these coordinated and perfectly-timed leaks from within the Court, detailing information known only to the justices themselves. The conservative justices are leaking, and although Crawford talks about “law clerks, chambers’ aides and secretaries” who have been gossiping internally about Roberts’s change of mind, it’s pretty clear that her sources were impeccable and that if they weren’t the conservative justices themselves, they were sources who had the explicit consent of those justices to start talking to the press.
    Instead, it seems, the Supreme Court has become infected by exactly the same partisanship which has corroded civic life everywhere else in DC. Maybe that was inevitable. But this story is still a signal journalistic accomplishment — and it was written at law-geeky length by a TV reporter. Crawford deserves all credit for getting this scoop — and for showing that there is life yet in broadcast journalism.

————————

32. 123 proudmemberofglobalzero
    July 2, 2012 at 9:16 am

To all Florida Residents, I just got off the phone with Gov. Rick Scotts office. I spoke to a very nice aide and explained very calmly what setting up the “Health Care” exchanges would mean for our family. She listened and wrote down every word. She understood what I was saying. She thanked me and agreed to pass on the information. I also mentioned the USA Today state of the state on healthcare coverage. I told him he should be leading setting up the exchanges not fighting them. Hope for change!

• July 2, 2012 at 9:28 am

Well, the pool in 2014, either he does it or the Feds(HHS) will do it for them!
      He could cancel Medicaid expansion as per the Supreme Court. But, I would think this would be a talking point, for the Democratic nominee in their Gubernatorial race in 2014!

• 125 proudmemberofglobalzero
        July 2, 2012 at 9:51 am

There are some states that already have theirs or are starting to set it up. The 2014 year is a deadline. Why should we have to wait? He can do this on his own.

July 2, 2012 at 9:16 am

Is there no limit to this fcuker’s lying ?

34. July 2, 2012 at 9:17 am

July 2, 2012 at 9:22 am

36. July 2, 2012 at 9:24 am

37. July 2, 2012 at 9:24 am

Adelson’s alleged ‘prostitution strategy’
    By Steve Benen

Mon Jul 2, 2012 9:19 AM EDT.

Ordinarily, I don’t invest too much time in tracking down the alleged misdeeds of politicians’ donors. That said, Sheldon Adelson isn’t just any donor, and the latest accusations surrounding the casino mogul aren’t routine transgressions.

The fired former chief executive of Las Vegas Sands Corp.’s Macau casinos alleges in court documents revealed Thursday that billionaire Sheldon Adelson personally approved of prostitution and knew of other improper activity at his company’s properties in the Chinese enclave. […]

[Former Sands executive Steven Jacobs] was fired in July 2010 from his role overseeing the Macau properties. He sued the companies and Adelson three months later.

Jacobs’ allegations, detailed in a sworn seven-page affidavit, are pretty remarkable. Jacobs alleges that Adelson and his company engaged in all kinds of illegal activities in Macau, most notably a Chinese “prostitution strategy” that had been “personally approved by Adelson.”

38. 136 Ladyhawke
    July 2, 2012 at 9:42 am

NANCY SMASH PROVIDES THE FACTS WHILE DAVID GREGORY SPOUTS GOP TALKING POINTS

Sunday Smackdown: Nancy Pelosi Schools GOP Talking Point Machine David Gregory

BY Sarah Jones

———————————-

Gregory kept talking over Pelosi – badgering her and treating her like an enemy combatant. Shouldn’t he be on Fox News with this attitude? Sure, a good journalist should push, but this is far from Gregory’s obsequious feeding of unchecked propaganda when he’s interviewing a Republican. Every single question he asked was based on a Republican premise as a given fact, rather than posited as an objective question. He could have said, “Republicans claim -” but instead he presented the Republican claim as reality and tried to force her to counter it.

Pelosi is too smart for David Gregory, and she easily knocked down his talking points and used the open window to get in easy to remember facts about what ACA will do for the American people, while also managing to bring some sunshine to the Republican desire to keep their campaign money dark. Let this be a lesson to all elected officials who care about democracy — when you are interviewed about any topic, find a way to discuss the damaging influence of Citizens United on democracy, because the corporate funded main stream media won’t bring it up.

Pelosi’s interview was the cherry on top of a very good week.

———————————

39. July 2, 2012 at 9:43 am

Morning all…this happened earlier today where one of our cabinet minister was answering questions re: government carbon tax policy and then broke into song. The ABC News channel who were reporting took the video down from their site, too embarrasing apparently, but of course, once its broadcasted, someone, somewhere has a copy.

He does not have PBO’s great tone, but this is hilarious, you have to put it down to good ol Aussie humour, or something up there is loose…lol

July 2, 2012 at 10:43 am

He’s no PBO! The fact that he had to wait for the music to start, cracked me up! And those “dance moves”? OUCH!

• 141 susanne
      July 2, 2012 at 2:42 pm

possibly this is part of an evil plan to make his teenagers leave home?

40. 142 Linda
    July 2, 2012 at 9:47 am

Top Romney Adviser Breaks With Entire Republican Party: The Individual Mandate Is Not A Tax

Mitt Romney campaign adviser Eric Fehrnstrom said the governor disagrees with Republicans’ claim that the individual mandate is a “tax,” contradicting the party message since the Supreme Court ruled that Congress had authority to mandate people purchase insurance under the taxing power.

“The governor disagreed with the ruling of the Court,” Fehrnstrom said, “he clearly stated that the mandate was not a tax”:

TODD: But he agrees with the president that it is not — and he believes that you should not call the tax penalty a tax, you should call it a penalty or a fee or a fine?

FEHRNSTROM: That’s correct. But the president also needs to be held accountable for his contradictory statements. He has described it variously as a penalty and as a tax. He needs to reconcile those two very different statements.

• July 2, 2012 at 9:50 am

is this another ‘man overboard’ moment?

• 144 ChristiMTL
        July 2, 2012 at 10:13 am

Something strange is happening in the media……right?…..the republicans are getting some pushback.

• 145 Lovepolitics2008
      July 2, 2012 at 11:20 am

New strategy ? Fehrnstrom isn’t talking for himself but is talking about Romney’s position: “The governor…… stated that the mandate was not a tax”.

What’s going on here?

• July 2, 2012 at 11:25 am

I don’t think they have any choice here, LP, for the Romney campaign to attack the mandate as a tax now would be truly comical, even for them.

• 147 Obama Grandmama
        July 2, 2012 at 12:48 pm

It seems to me that it is a penalty in the tax code so is technically a tax just because it works through the tax code. So technically it is a fine within the tax code. Fine point.

41. 148 Ladyhawke
    July 2, 2012 at 9:59 am

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE MEDIA CHALLENGES OUTLANDISH CLAIMS

John Boehner Freaks Out When Asked What He Will Replace Obamacare With

By Jason Easley

—————————

Hey, look it is a patented John Boehner freakout. Once again the Speaker of the House demonstrated that any question beyond, ‘can you tell me how to get to Sesame Street’ is too much for him to handle. The fragile Speaker went from at times yelling at O’Donnell to adopting an almost pleading tone when she repeatedly asked him for details. The one thing that can be counted on in any John Boehner video is that if he gets pushed even slightly beyond his talking points, he will crack.

Believe it not, Boehner actually thought that he could use the same lines that were successful in the 2010 midterm elections. He never expected anyone to ask what provisions he supported and what he would replace the ACA with. Republicans seem absolutely shocked, and judging from Boehner’s reaction, caught off guard by the media’s request for specifics.

Because some in the media have started to ask questions, Republicans are being forced to admit that there are some provisions of Obamacare that even they will be keep. Think about this. Republicans have gone from absolutely no Obamacare to we must repeal Obamacare, to we have to get rid of some of Obamacare and keep the rest.

——————————-

• 149 Ladyhawke
      July 2, 2012 at 10:25 am

This interview was a train wreck. I watched in total amazement that this man is Speaker of the House. It was a pathetic showing for someone in a leadership position. Nothing but lies and gibberish from John Boehner. But the most remarkable thing about the interview was the fact that Norah O’Donnell did her homework and decided to ask tough questions and challenge outlandish responses. Wow! If this type of journalism was the rule rather than the exception just imagine how well informed the American people would be.

• 150 Obama Grandmama
      July 2, 2012 at 12:55 pm

I think the Republicans in their theme of keeping government small want to get rid of any large public programs unless they are for the corporations and rich. They seem used to putting bandaids on big problems to serve as offerings to keep the public quiet. The ACA really addressed the problems in healthcare and worked to solve them thus it was extensive and long. A one page few rulings with no tie in to deficit spending leaving the insurance companies no rules to abide by does not solve any problems but only creates more.

July 2, 2012 at 10:01 am

43. July 2, 2012 at 10:04 am

Stephanie Cutter is OUTSTANDING!

(The link is a PDF)

44. July 2, 2012 at 10:08 am

July 2, 2012 at 10:17 am

PBS has been re-airing “Love of Liberty: Black Patriots,” which is very well done.

Maybe on this Fourth of July, bigoted Republicans and others who think the term “patriots” shouldn’t include President Obama and AG Holder, and so many others, should remember how far back our black patriots have helped keep our country free from people who would tear it apart, and, of course, are still serving in our current-day military … willing to live and die for our freedom and our rights.

This is one of the songs from the PBS show, and if this doesn’t make you cry, I don’t know what will.

July 2, 2012 at 10:18 am

It seems that I’d best just say ‘Good Afternoon, Chips & TODville’ since, even though it’s only 10:18am, you all seemed to have gotten off to an early start. 😉

47. July 2, 2012 at 11:01 am