Mar

Michelle Obama: A Woman Of Substance

*****

One morning in late January, I am standing at one end of the grand red-carpeted corridor that runs through the center of the White House, when suddenly the First Lady appears at the other. “Heeeee’s comin’,” she says of her husband’s imminent arrival. “He’s coming down the stairs now.” The president is on his way from the residence above, and just a split second before he appears, the First Lady, in a midnight-blue Reed Krakoff sleeveless dress and a black kitten heel, slips into the tiniest bit of a surprisingly good soft-shoe, and then the two of them walk arm in arm into the Red Room to sit for a portrait by Annie Leibovitz. The photographer has her iPod playing the Black Eyed Peas song “Where Is the Love?” It is a mid-tempo hip-hop lament about the problematic state of the world. As the First Lady and an aide laugh together over some inside joke, the president starts nodding his head to the beat: “Who picked the music? I love this song.”

A few minutes later, Leibovitz has the president sit in a comfortable chair and then directs the First Lady to perch on the arm. At one point, the First Lady puts her hand on top of his and, instinctively, he wraps his fingers around her thumb. “There’s a lot of huggin’ going on,” says Leibovitz, and everyone laughs. “You’re a very different kind of president and First Lady.”

Read more here:   http://www.vogue.com/magazine/article/michelle-obama-leading-by-example/#1

*****

174 Responses to “Michelle Obama: A Woman Of Substance”

March 14, 2013 at 10:54 am

First?

Congrats UT on your first TOD post and thank you – What beautiful iconic images of our FLOTUS and PBO 🙂

2. 3 Nena20409
    March 14, 2013 at 10:54 am

Great Pics of FLOTUS UT. 😉

3. March 14, 2013 at 10:54 am

OMG – I have to buy that issue!

4. 8 donna dem 4 obama
    March 14, 2013 at 10:56 am

Way to go UT!!!!

OMG stunning pictures and this…At one point, the First Lady puts her hand on top of his and, instinctively, he wraps his fingers around her thumb. “There’s a lot of huggin’ going on,” says Leibovitz, and everyone laughs. “You’re a very different kind of president and First Lady.”

• March 14, 2013 at 11:02 am

Oh, yeah, they are different: THEY ARE REAL! They are Genuine! They are two people who make 1 + 1 add up to 3, because they include God in their consciousness! And, we love them like we have never loved any other First Couple! So, yeah, they are different! 😆

5. 10 donna dem 4 obama
    March 14, 2013 at 10:57 am

Gawd!!! I WANT TO HAVE ARMS LIKE HERS!!!!!!!! 😎

March 14, 2013 at 11:02 am

Good lord, Utal, I couldn’t keep up with ONE Chips, how do you Chipadees expect me to keep up with ALL of you? Especially if you all are so quick on the draw! / tearing my hair out /

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the pics of FLOTUS! Haven’t read yet, though. Help! Help! / happiness overload ….happiness overload……happiness overload /

March 14, 2013 at 11:04 am

I heard a huge noise all the way in MD….from the sound of the Repubs’ heads exploding in DC….

March 14, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Returning to this thread hours later, Hopefruit, and only now noticing that you were at the top, girl! Blame it on FLOTUS. Congrats on crossing the line in first position, Hf! You are always so diligent in cheering us on when we make it – good running! 😉

8. 17 dotster3
    March 14, 2013 at 11:04 am

I loved, loved, loved that interview. Reflecting what we all know about these two, accurately portraying who they are—–loving who they are, priorities in exactly the right place. And I was especially touched about the last words, where President Obama puts his arm around and whispers to the unsteady older fella receiving an award, saying “I gotcha”. That is precisely how I think of President Obama—–trying to make us all feel secure and hopeful, telling us “I gotcha”.

9. 19 Proud Former White House Intern
    March 14, 2013 at 11:06 am

Aquiring this magazine is mandatory

10. 20 Jessica
    March 14, 2013 at 11:09 am

Damn she look good! My inspiration for eating healthy. I’m super skinny so I don’t need to lose weight but I have been having indigestion and I want clearer skin. I’m seeing a difference already! Whooohoooo. I can’t wait till I go home and try cooking some healthy food with my mom.

March 14, 2013 at 11:10 am

Thank you everyone for the kind words and thank you soooooooooo much Chiparoo. You’re the best. Running a blog and publishing a post is quite a task and I have even more newfound respect for you Chiparoo (You Manchester United supporter you 😀 )

Looking forward to continue trying my hand at this – with Chipstick’s continued blessing – it’s quite fun; intense but fun.

If you want to listen to what the journalist thought of the interview he conducted with FLOTUS and POTUS, you can click here:

Once again, thank you.

12. 30 prettyfoot58
    March 14, 2013 at 11:12 am

Flotusssssssss….such a remarkable woman…..her spirit…her grace….her strength….her beauty and her brains….we are so fortunate to have her…

Thank you for bringing this to us UT…

Our FLOTUS someone to be proud of and to take inspiration from..

13. 31 57andfemale
    March 14, 2013 at 11:12 am

Chris Hayes is replacing Ed Schultz.

I guess the NBC powers-that-be want to make sure that perpetual whining puts a stop to electing more Democrats.

• 32 Vicki
      March 14, 2013 at 11:35 am

MSNBC’s story is that they are going for the younger demographic. Chris is 36 and Ed is 50+. Anybody believe this?

• 33 jackiegrumbacher
        March 14, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Vicki, these guys underestimate the intelligence of younger people, just as they underestimate women and all people of color. Their idea that you can put a token person up for something and an entire demographic will overcome all common sense and embrace that person is just plain ludicrous.

• 34 57andfemale
        March 14, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Nope. Not for a minute.

March 14, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Chris Hayes is 36? I thought more like 12. That had previously been my guess. YUCK.

• 36 cos
      March 14, 2013 at 11:38 am

I don’t watch Hayes on the weekend and I will not watch him during the week. I was wondering who would take this slot. They should give Joy Reid a slot somewhere; she is young and impressive.

• 37 57andfemale
        March 14, 2013 at 12:36 pm

msnbc has a pattern – you start as a guest, then a guest host, then you get a crappy time slot and then a better time slot. Joy Reid hasn’t been through the pattern yet.

Ed was a hothead and woefully uninformed, but I understood the blue collar appeal. By the time Chris Hayes is through, he’ll convince the dwindling numbers who watch him that all Democrats are evil and worthless if they don’t live up to his purity. I won’t watch, that’s for sure.

• 39 theo67
        March 14, 2013 at 3:53 pm

I have zero intention of watching Chris Hayes. Weekend or weekday.

• 40 jackiegrumbacher
      March 14, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Of course, 57, that’s if anyone watches. I don’t intend to and can’t think of anyone I know who will. For this guy to influence elections, tens of millions of people would have to tune in and then care about his opinion. To which I say, good luck with that.

• 41 nabsentia23
      March 14, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Replacing Ed Schultz with Chris Hayes?

Both are whiners, so what’s the difference?

Schultz is the older, bully-on-the-playground know-it-all whiner and Hayes is the younger, pseudo-intellectual, know-it-all whiner. Sure, they come in different flavors, but it’s still the same crap.

I can be a know-it-all myself, but I don’t have a TV show where I pretend to be a journalist. But, then again, just as people have a choice in not listening to me, I have a choice in not listening to either Schultz or Hayes.

March 14, 2013 at 11:13 am

dammit blog tyrant. You just ran all over my chat away thread.

(And I thought I had the scoop on FLOTUS. damn you all, TOD’ers)

• 44 donna dem 4 obama
      March 14, 2013 at 11:56 am

We don’t mind a repeat of the lovely FLOTUS and I’m sure all you males here at TOD would be thrilled to see pics of FLOTUS blasted on every thread, so have at it. You’ll get no complaints from me…. 😉

15. March 14, 2013 at 11:15 am

Beautiful, beautiful, just so beautiful. How can this be that we have intelligence & beauty leading this country – how lucky we are. Great job TOD’s, as I went back & saw what a great job you all are doing. I was out most of yesterday, saw Chip’s thank you’s last night & it was great to see everything back in order! Cheers to a wonderful day!

On another note, poor me, with Google Reader leaving, what do I do to get The Obama Diary? I was taking it on email previously, so is there another “reader” or just email? Thank you all.

March 14, 2013 at 11:15 am

17. 51 Dakota
    March 14, 2013 at 11:17 am

Stunning! I can’t wait to pick up this issue! Great Job UT!!!

18. 52 JER
    March 14, 2013 at 11:25 am

• 53 jackiegrumbacher
      March 14, 2013 at 12:36 pm

TCC, can you just imagine the state of your brain, let alone your soul, after a total of 33 minutes of Cruz and 16 of Palin. At that point there would be no help for you. The decay would be so complete that the other speakers could just blow bubbles or sip water and you would be too far gone to notice.

• 55 susanne
      March 14, 2013 at 4:42 pm

little randy said, but but..i can talk for 13 hours! lots to say, oh yeah!

also noticing no branches of the shrub family represented. and the formerly fabulous myth group? don’t they need miss ann to bring her famous warmth?

honestly, this is such a line-up of losers, the rethugs are starting to stir feelings of pity in me. don’t worry– the rage and disgust is still much bigger.

March 14, 2013 at 11:28 am

20. March 14, 2013 at 11:40 am

• 60 donna dem 4 obama
      March 14, 2013 at 11:45 am

I’ll be so happy when all of our military is out of that country!!!

• March 14, 2013 at 11:54 am

You and me both, I got into a squabble a few weeks ago on a thread saying I was sick of Karzai always overplaying his hand and putting our troops and FS in danger. This is getting beyond ridiculous…..

• March 14, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Karzai is a loose cannon – ugh! Is he running again for President and trying to speak to his base? For a leader of a country that we bled for, both in human and monetary terms – he is beyond despicable. I am glad that PBO is reducing our presence – it can’t happen quick enough for me.

21. March 14, 2013 at 11:41 am

22. 67 donna dem 4 obama
    March 14, 2013 at 11:52 am

That picture of FLOTUS in the formal black gown is dramatically gorgeous. I am in awe of this woman!

23. March 14, 2013 at 11:52 am

• 69 susanne
      March 14, 2013 at 4:46 pm

nope, sorry–photo of the day is flotus in the black gown and red room!

March 14, 2013 at 6:45 pm

susanne, I agree. I love the pictures of FLOTUS and POTUS in the April Vogue issues, those are the photos of the day, but this one will come in second.

24. March 14, 2013 at 11:57 am

25. March 14, 2013 at 12:02 pm

UT!!!!!!!!! Sweet! We are a dynamic family here at TOD – I love it! Chips, AMK, LP and LL and now UT! Wonderful!

26. 73 Bill
    March 14, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Boner has turned down an invitation by PBO to join Vice President Biden in the US delegation to the installation of Pope Francis.

March 14, 2013 at 12:06 pm

The National Poetry Contest had come down to the finals between a Yale graduate and a redneck from Wyoming. They were both given a word, then allowed two minutes to study the word and come up with a poem that contained the word. The word they were given was “Timbuktu”

First to recite his poem was the Yale graduate. He confidently stepped to the microphone and said:

“Slowly across the desert sand
    Trekked a lonely caravan
    Men on camels, two by two
    Destination: Timbuktu.”

The crowd went crazy. No way could the redneck top this, they thought.

The redneck, with sweat rolling down his face, made his way to the microphone and said:

“A friend and I a hunting went,
    We spied three maidens in a tent,
    They being three, we being two,
    I bucked one and Tim bucked two.”

The redneck won the prize.

28. March 14, 2013 at 12:07 pm

The Media are getting ready for 2014 election bash bash bash Obama every second, min, hour, They used Ed in 2010, most people who listened to him in 2010 knows better now. Chris is the next host to tell democrats everyday that Obama is bad and he is dangerous, and he’s killing Americans, and oh he’s black. 7,8,9 o’clock will be the anti Obama hour on msnbc Obama is bad, Obama is no good, he worst then Bush, Bush only kill non Americans, Oh don’t forget, Obama is black, please don’t elect the democrats he needs to pass bills that will help the Middle Class and the Poor, My Boss who run this company will get mad (Sign chris hayes) CPAC invited this Chris to speak because he’s a very good Obama basher, better then their Gov. Chris

29. 82 yardarm756
    March 14, 2013 at 12:12 pm

A lil sumpin’ for CPAC!

30. 85 Linda
    March 14, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Joy Reid is in for Alex Wagner…but they are talking about CPAC,

March 14, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Two guys are playing golf. The women in front of them are really taking their time and are slowing the men up.

So one man says to his friend, “I’m gonna go ask those ladies if we can play through.”

He starts walking, but about halfway there, he turns around. When he gets back, his friend asks what happened.

He replies, “One of those women is my wife, and the other is my mistress. Why don’t you go talk to them?”

So the second man starts to walk over. He gets halfway there and turns around.

When he gets back, his friend asks, “Now what happened?”

To this, the second man replies, “Small world.”

32. March 14, 2013 at 12:17 pm

33. March 14, 2013 at 12:18 pm

34. 91 sherijr
    March 14, 2013 at 12:23 pm

wow wow wow.. I Love this, I love them.. so beautiful, their hearts shine through.

35. 92 sherijr
    March 14, 2013 at 12:30 pm

ohhh ut I didn’t realize this was your thread, thought it was Chips.. well done! Loving all the work you all have been doing LL, LP, amk, ut – thank you for keeping it going for us, for Chips- I am grateful to all of you 🙂

March 14, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Good day, all. Just getting here, so not sure if this has been posted, yet. But Chris (Electablog) tells it like it is, once again:

37. 97 Ladyhawke
    March 14, 2013 at 12:40 pm

UT, I’m bursting with pride. This is an awesome thread you have created. Thank you so much for helping our dear, delicious, witty and wonderful Chips manage this amazing blog. I call it my haven from a hostile world.

March 14, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Ted Cruz is a jerk but good on Diane Feinstein for setting him straight.

Ted Cruz, the junior Senator from Texas, wrangled the nerves of Sen. Dianne Feinstein on Thursday during a contentious hearing on legislation, introduced by the California Democrat, that would reinstate a federal ban on assault weapons.

Cruz, a former constitutional law professor, began by reciting portions of the First, Second, and Fourth Amendment, and asked Feinstein whether the power of government to restrict certain types of guns would be equally appropriate given those provisions.

“Let me just make a couple of points in response,” Feinstein countered at a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing. “One, I’m not a sixth grader. Senator, I’ve been on this committee for 20 years. I was a mayor for nine years. I walked in, I saw people shot. I’ve looked at bodies that have been shot with these weapons. I’ve seen the bullets that implode. In Sandy Hook, youngsters were dismembered. Look, there are other weapons. I’ve been up — I’m not a lawyer, but after 20 years I’ve been up close and personal to the constitution. I have great respect for it. This doesn’t mean that weapons of war and the heller decision clearly points out three exceptions, two of which are pertinent here.”

Feinstein continued: “It’s fine you want to lecture me on the constitution. I appreciate it. Just know I’ve been here for a long time. I’ve passed on a number of bills. I’ve studied the constitution myself. I am reasonably well educated, and I thank you for the lecture….I come from a different place than you do. I respect your views. I ask you to respect my views.”

39. March 14, 2013 at 12:43 pm

• 102 4morefor44
      March 14, 2013 at 1:24 pm

republicans and “the news” people have been throwing around the $6 trillion number saying president obama is responsible for that as an increase to the national debt. of course, they NEVER EVER point out that a large percentage of that is from president obama doing the responsible thing and putting those “war” costs, and bush’s medicare part D, into the budget for the first time after republicans kept those off the books to make their numbers look better (even with their trick, their numbers were horrendous anyway). these war costs are a few trillion at least over 10 years, and part D is over $1 trillion, and the associated interest payments on those trillions account for well over 50% of that $6 trillion number. the ability of republicans and “the news” to lie and lie upon other lies is really disturbing to me.

• 103 Linda
        March 14, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Whenever someone talks about the 6 trillion I tell them this.

Unless you can tell me how, on 1-20-2009 every single Bush program was fully funded you have nothing to complain about.

When were Medicare C & D, the tax cuts and the wars fully funded ?.

When was the interest on the existing debt eliminated ?

Are you trying to claim this president started out with none of that continuing to accumulate ?”

• March 14, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Unless we break our promise to Vets like they’re trying to do with Seniors.

40. 105 japa21
    March 14, 2013 at 12:46 pm

March 14, 2013 at 12:51 pm

42. 107 MightyPamela
    March 14, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Reading thru this earlier, the writer states that it was Michelle (Robinson) who intro’d her then-fiancé to Valerie Jarrett, in Chicago. I have ways thought that PBO and Ms. Jarrett were at Harvard Law together, and made huge changes there for the student body. Can anyone shed light on this for me? Outta here, back this afternoon!

43. March 14, 2013 at 1:10 pm

As most of you know, our colleague UT posted the video segment in which #BainMitt casually describes the atrocious conditions at Global Tech Appliances:

What was most impressive, in a very impressive interview with the very courageous and non-self-serving Mr Scott Prouty, was the fact that it was that segment that motivated him to do all that he did to bring the true Mitt Romney to everyone’s attention.

So, it seems only fitting to remember that 24 August 2012 thread in UT’s first post as a member of Chip’s team.

#FORWARD

44. 113 JER
    March 14, 2013 at 1:14 pm

45. March 14, 2013 at 1:15 pm

March 14, 2013 at 1:22 pm

EARLY HEADS UP SO YOU CAN PLAN ACCORDINGLY: VP Biden will be ceremonially swearing in Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel in Arlington, VA at 3PM ET / 2PM CT / 12PM PT.

47. 118 Linda
    March 14, 2013 at 1:25 pm

The Press Has Turned on Paul Ryan His budget made the big mistake of betraying his cynicism

March 14, 2013 at 2:44 pm

Chris Wallace kinda gave them permission, after he went after Ryan on repealing Obamacare.

48. 120 Linda
    March 14, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Here is the video from ut’s link above.

49. March 14, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Hats off to you UT! Nicely Done! 🙂

50. 127 4morefor44
    March 14, 2013 at 1:43 pm

this says it all about “the news”

they did the same thing with the ACORN/jimmy o’keefe nonsense, where the proven liar, manipulator, and convicted in court criminal o’keefe was presented as a responsible source for accusing ACORN as a whole of malfeasance. “the news” today exists only, and i mean only, as a republican propaganda tool.

51. March 14, 2013 at 1:53 pm

52. March 14, 2013 at 1:54 pm

53. 136 cluny
    March 14, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Hi all – I’ve gone back to lurking but have come out to make some observations re the Chris Hayes promotion.

I’m not a die hard Chris Hayes fan by any means (he can be smug and self important) and I often enjoyed watching Ed but I have found some of the comments re CH unnecessarily mean. CH worked as an organizer for Kerry and his wife worked for PBO both in the White House and for the campaign. His brother was PBO’s top field guy in Nevada. Sure he can be critical of PBO but he’s not the enemy and in my book the Hayes family have actually walked the walk rather than just talk. I’m sure I’ll get big blowback but just couldn’t stomach reading another mean/bordering on paranoid post. So yeah – I wanna stick up for Chris hayes and I bet PBO would too.

• 137 cookemom
      March 14, 2013 at 2:11 pm

I agree cluny, not everyone who dares question, or open the debate on stuffs that need further exploration, should somehow become an enemy. There is no reason to dismiss out of hand, people who have enough curiosity to want more information or turn the light on questionable issues. There is a certain hair on fire that goes on when a Dem dares to delve deeper than the surface rah-rah stutf.

Not to be confused, some of the nonsense that certain pundits spew (Ed suggesting we not vote) deserves push back in the highest form of protest. But others, like Hayes, Klein, etc shouldn’t be thrown out with the pot. I happen to enjoy Hayes’ show, but I don’t know how well is format will convert to an hour in prime time. Not to mention, he and Rachel are too much alike in form and substance which makes it back to back nerdville. I’d like to see a break in that particular style of punditry.

Ducks and runs back to the tile project.

• 138 donna dem 4 obama
      March 14, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Turn on any conservative tv program (of which I can say I no longer watch any of it liberal or conservative) and see if they have hosts that spend half or more of their shows railing against their own side. It just doesn’t seem balanced IMO. Libs/Progressives will get on their soap box and go after PBO for days on end when they feel the need arises. The Right uses the media to push their agenda and talking points. We on the Left haven’t learned this lesson yet. You can critique the WH with commentary. They don’t have to be consumed with their criticism and have it reinforced by getting as many liberal/progressives they can find to come on their shows to reinforce the criticism. Again, take a lesson from Conservative talk shows. We may not like what they do but they do it far better than we do and their ratings prove my point.

I don’t question whether or not CH is an advocate for the left but from what I have seen and read of him he can be a bit self righteous. I don’t believe that any of these shows with one or two exceptions serves the country very well so I protest by not giving them the ratings. They don’t care anything about push-back from their viewers because they feel there views are right and they’ll take the occasional heat just to continue to spew their nonsense. As mad as folks get at these pundits they know that we will tune in everyday just to see how crazy they will be….

So Chris can have his show. There is very little that I could learn from him that by 8:00 each week night I wouldn’t already know thanks to the great folks here that keep me well informed and up to date on all things regarding this President, his family and administration.

• 139 4morefor44
        March 14, 2013 at 2:59 pm

yes, donna! thank you. the few times i’ve ever seen any of these cable or regular tv “news” shows in recent years, there’s literally no discussion about any of the positive happening from liberal policies, despite the fact that we’ve been seeing some of the most rapid and across-the-board substantive societal improvements of all time since president obama came into office. there’s no balance there whatsoever, and of course as you point out, it’s all slanted to be pro-republican and pro-big business.

• March 14, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Great comment, Donna.I no longer watch those shows either.

• 141 nathkatun7
        March 14, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Great comment Donna!

• 142 cluny
        March 14, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Sorry I’m late to reply due to international time zone, etc. Frankly, I’m glad that there is occasional pushback and left commentators do not emulate their conservative media counterparts because the inevitable result would be what happened to Romney election day – a delusional belief that all was right with the world and that he would coast to victory. The Fox apparatus was a big part of that and we all laughed about it. That’s the problem with a never criticise, reinforcing echo chamber. Friends disagreeing is healthy and CH strikes me as a pretty obvious partisan. His thing is issues NOT personalities and there’s nothing wrong with that. Even when I disagree with him I never get the feeling it’s personal – unlike, say, Smiley and West. Having said that I’ll miss Ed – he could be a pain and, yes, his 2010 rant was stupid and finally self destructive but he almost always went to bat for the Prez – there was no doubt he was a fan, supporter and admirer. If you start tuning people out who are not ‘pure’ enough – well – that can get dangerous.

54. 144 Gazelle
    March 14, 2013 at 2:08 pm

UT, AMK, LL, LP thankyou for your awesome posts! So appreciated. And Chips, more than asante saana {{hugs}}.

POTUS&FLOTUS are full of fabulocity in those pics!

55. March 14, 2013 at 2:11 pm

This is awesome!! Check out ASAP…..

56. 146 cman
    March 14, 2013 at 2:11 pm

My favorite section of the interview

“By the time I got to the Senate, that had changed. Michelle and the girls, for example, stayed in Chicago, and I had this little bachelor apartment that Michelle refused to stay in because she thought it was a little, uh. . . .”

“Yikes,” she says.

“You know, pizza boxes everywhere,” he says. “When she came, I had to get a hotel room.” The First Lady leans in toward me. “That place caught on fire.”

“It did end up catching on fire,” says the president sheepishly.”

• 148 cman
        March 14, 2013 at 2:28 pm

“I’m more comfortable with change and adventure and trying new things, but the downside of it is, sometimes—particularly when we were early on in our marriage—I wasn’t always thinking about the fact that my free-spirited ways might be having an impact on the person I’m with. And conversely, early in our marriage, Michelle provided this sense of stability and clarity and certainty about things, but sometimes she resisted trying something new just because it might seem a little scary or push her out of her comfort zone. I think what we’ve learned from each other is that sense of. . . .”

“Balance,” she says.

“There’s no doubt I’m a better man having spent time with Michelle. I would never say that Michelle’s a better woman, but I will say she’s a little more patient.”

“I would say I’m a better woman. You couldn’t say it.”

“I couldn’t say it,” he says.

haha Smart man the president is.

57. March 14, 2013 at 2:16 pm

58. March 14, 2013 at 2:32 pm

59. March 14, 2013 at 2:35 pm

CPAC folk have a big sad ….

60. 162 dotster3
    March 14, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Persuasive argument! Married In. mega-church pastor (15,000 members) and supt. of its church-related school told underage girl he was counseling that God was cool with the two of them having sex and that Jesus wanted them to have a husband/wife style relationship! Sanctioned from on high. Not all agreed though and the pastor was forced to resign his formerly respected position and is on trial for taking the girl across state lines for sex purposes.

61. March 14, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Clearly, with their latest budget plan, House Republicans fail to understand that simply restating bad ideas doesn’t make them any better.

CARTOON: http://www.americanprogress.org/cartoon/2013/03/14/56673/working-out/

For the third year in a row, Rep. Ryan has offered a budget plan that asks much of middle-class and low-income families but nothing at all from those at the top. All of the main elements from the last two House Republican budgets remain—turning traditional Medicare into a voucher system, handing out tax breaks for the rich, slashing investments that drive our economy, and favoring European-style austerity over growth. The American people did not buy the plan before, and they won’t buy it now.

62. 164 Don
    March 14, 2013 at 2:43 pm

I refuse to believe that the best MSNBC could do was Chris Hayes. The wonk bullshit from this guy doesn’t bother me as much as the smugness does. Hayes can criticize President Obama all he wants to, but for this guy to think that he has the moral high ground is where I draw the line. If you are an American citizen and you go out and join Al Qaeda, and all of a sudden hot lead starts to fall from the sky on your ass. You deserve everything you get; in my mind there is no debate about your constitutional rights. I’m not going to spend five minutes watching Hayes; I’ve seen his shtick on the weekends.

63. March 14, 2013 at 2:45 pm

64. 169 Bill
    March 14, 2013 at 2:54 pm

In a few minutes Tucker Carlson and Paul Begala will “Duke it Out” at CPAC. Can’t believe Begala ia appearing.

65. 170 cman
    March 14, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Ok people if you have not had a chance to read the vougue interview. Pls go do so. It’s a hoot. I’ve been cracking up here. People around me are starting to question what is going on.

“I think that’s been very helpful . . .” he says. “We were pretty much who we are by the time I hit the national scene. We didn’t grow up or come of age under a spotlight. We were anonymous folks. I was a state senator, but nobody knows who a state senator is. So most of our 30s and 40s were as a typical middle-class family. . . . That really didn’t change until I was 45 years old. And there’s something about having lived a normal life and raised kids.” Here he slips into the syntax of his younger self. “We had to figure out how to make a mortgage, payin’ the bills, goin’ to Target, and freakin’ out when . . . the woman who’s looking after your girls while Michelle’s working suddenly decides she’s quittin’. . . . All those experiences made us who we were, so that by the time this thing hit, it was hard for us to. . . .”

“Be different people,” says the First Lady. “And I think we are accountable to each other for being who we are. There’s no way I could walk in the door and be somebody different from who I’ve been with this man for 20-some-odd years. He would laugh me out of the house!” She goes on, “And we are also blessed with families who hold us accountable.”

“Exactly,” says the president.

This reminds me of something the First Lady’s brother told me. “I played basketball in England for two years,” said Craig Robinson, “and I didn’t realize it, but apparently, I developed somewhat of an accent, and my sister and my father killed me when I came back. They were like, ‘What happened? You go to England and you have an accent?’ It would have been the same thing if Michelle had gotten to be the First Lady and started acting differently. She would have heard it from me and my mom.”

“My mother doesn’t do interviews,” says the First Lady, “but let me tell you: She is not long on pretense. She’s the first one to remind us who we are. And it’s been very helpful having her living with us. . . . We can check reality against her sensibilities.”

“Now, in fairness,” says the president, “there is one thing that’s changed.” The First Lady looks at him. “What’s that?”

“Which is, I used to only have, like, two suits,” he says.

Now you must have dozens, I say.

“Thank God,” she says. “Now, let me tell you: This is the man who still boasts about, This khaki pair of pants I’ve had since I was 20.” The president throws his head back, laughing. “And I’m like, ‘You don’t want to brag about that.’ ” Jay Carney and the young staffers from the White House press office, who are all sitting on a sofa on the other side of the room, crack up.

“Michelle’s like Beyoncé in that song,” says the president. “ ‘Let me upgrade ya!’ She upgraded me.”

66. 171 57andfemale
    March 14, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Well, at least we’re saved the side show of DimMitt as the emergency manager for Detroit. Snyder appointed some bankruptcy attorney.

67. 172 sjterrid
    March 14, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Great job, ut! Thank you for helping chips with the blog.

68. 173 vitaminlover
    March 14, 2013 at 11:01 pm

First Lady Obama looks thinner.

@POTUS