Jun

Africa: The Week Ahead

Leaving Andrews this morning

4:25 PM EST: The President and the First Family arrive in Dakar, Senegal

Watch here: Senegal 8 and Reuters

Thursday: The President will participate in a bilateral meeting and joint press conference with Senegalese President Sall, and meet with regional judicial leaders. The President will then tour the Maison Des Esclaves Museum on Goree Island, where he will also drop by a civil society event at the Goree Institute. Later, the President will meet with Embassy employees, and attend an official dinner with President Sall. The President and the First Family will remain overnight in Senegal.

Friday: The President will participate in a food security event. He will then travel to South Africa with the First Family, where they will remain overnight in Johannesburg.

SaturdayTuesday: The President will meet with SA President Jacob Zuma in Pretoria, hold a joint press conference, then move on to Cape Town where his events include a visit to Robben Island and a roundtable with business leaders. Later, he will hold a town hall meeting with young Africans at the Soweto campus of the University of Johannesburg.

The final leg of the First Family’s journey will take them to Tanzania, where the President’s program includes talks and a press conference with President Jakaya Kikwete and a visit to the Ubungo power plant. He will also lay a wreath at a memorial to the 11 people killed in the US embassy bombing in 1998.

The First Family return to Washington on Wednesday.

During the trip, First Lady Michelle Obama will speak to girls at a Senegal middle school, with students at a South African high school, and will participate in a first ladies summit hosted by the George W. Bush Institute. Former first lady Laura Bush also will participate, along with first ladies of African nations.

Our handy and very expertly-fiddled-with little map again:

See photos and videos from Senator Obama’s 2006 trip to Africa here

148 Responses to “Africa: The Week Ahead”

1. June 26, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Safe Travels to our 1st Family 🙂

June 26, 2013 at 4:23 pm

THIS is freaking awesome. Don’t mess with women.

3. June 26, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Most of yesterday was awful. Last night was awe-inspiring. Today has been great. Now time to move forward, elect a Dem congress, and shove the revised VRA into SCOTUS’ face.

• 16 japa21
      June 26, 2013 at 4:33 pm

It is great to feel good about Davis and what happened today, but we can’t stop pushing. Elections have consequences.

• June 26, 2013 at 4:51 pm

I agree with you Japa. The LGBT ruling by the one RW justice was not done out of a genuine desire to see equality – but out of a desire to make it easier for the Republicans who run for office (if the DOMA issue is off the table they can appeal to the non-minority LGBT for votes).

• 18 carolyn
          June 26, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Have never trusted that man. I knew he was a fraud and a con man during his hearings. He did not tell the truth to those gullible Senators once. Don’t any of them have a b.s.detector? Mine went through the roof on him. Also with Alito!!!

• June 26, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Fifth Amendment, Workplace Harassement, and VRA on the negative side: chalk DOMA on the plus!

4. June 26, 2013 at 4:32 pm

The delegation waiting on President Obama at the airport seem sooooooooo excited

5. June 26, 2013 at 4:35 pm

WOW…Got back just in time to see My President & First Family arrive in Africa 🙂

Watch it live here:

6. 23 Jeff
    June 26, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Snowden believed that leakers should be shot in the balls in 2009… Gee how INTERESTING!

• 24 Bill
      June 26, 2013 at 4:42 pm

As he is roaming around the Moscow airport he better hope no one takes him up on it.

• 25 ewok2
        June 26, 2013 at 4:56 pm

The Russian probably thinks he is a CIA agent or American spy, he is probably being interrogated by Russian agents and trying to glean as much info on our surveillance operations as they can. He is not being just left alone to enjoy the sights.

• 26 Bill
          June 26, 2013 at 5:10 pm

True, if he were simply walking around the airport someone would have seen him, be it a traveler or a journalist.

• 27 ewok2
      June 26, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Snowden was against it before he was for it. When it embarrassed the Bush admin, he was against, so he made sure the leaking would happen under Obama to embarrass the Obama admin and now he is for it. I always predicted that someone would commit treason to try and take down President Obama, but I thought it would be some Repub in congress. The repubs hate the president so much that they would commit treason and even murder to try and bring down President Obama. They are so evil I put nothing past these demons.

• 28 arapaho415
      June 26, 2013 at 4:56 pm

7. 30 Ceb
    June 26, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Dayum! Did they bring the entire country to the airport?! This reception line is too long for tired people who have been on a plane for 8 hours and crossed many time zones.

8. June 26, 2013 at 4:44 pm

I’d just like to give a huge shoutout to Bill Clinton. Without him, today’s DOMA ruling couldn’t have been possible!

9. June 26, 2013 at 4:48 pm

• 38 4morefor44
      June 26, 2013 at 4:58 pm

to anyone who knew of president obama’s past with the issue, and can understand the complexity of being president at the same time you want to win re-election and to top it off being black, they could understand why he said he needed to evolve on the issue. it was incredibly obvious at the time where he wanted to go with this. the way he’s been around this issue ever since just further proves he was always for gay rights all along, and his stepping up immediately today and wanting to be at this wedding is just perfect. perfect.

that’s what makes those protesters, especially the one who got up in michelle’s face recently, who have been yelling at him and continuing to chip away at his liberal (albeit privileged liberal much of time) support all that more ridiculous. no excuse for these “evolve already” fake liberals anymore. FORWARD!!

10. June 26, 2013 at 4:50 pm

11. 43 vitaminlover
    June 26, 2013 at 4:51 pm

I can’t recall which country it is but after looking at the map showing where they will travel I wonder if he will be visiting the country where the ruler Shaka Zulu reigned back in the 1800’s I believe?

• 44 Linda
      June 26, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Have you seen the mini series ?

Shaka Zulu is a 1986 television serial directed by William C. Faure and written by Joshua Sinclair for the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC). It is based on the story of Shaka, king of the Zulu nation from 1816 to 1828, and the writings of the British traders who dealt with him. It aired in the U.S. in syndication. Harmony Gold USA partly funded Shaka Zulu in spite of economic sanctions. The series consisted of 10 episodes approximately 50 minutes each in length. The series was based on Sinclair’s novel of the same name.

It is available on line

I loved it.

June 26, 2013 at 5:08 pm

No…but the movie “Zulu” with Michael Caine is an excellent movie.

• 46 vitaminlover
        June 26, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Yes I have it on old-fashioned VHS which had more footage and also on DVD. I was very much intrigued by him.

• 47 Layla
      June 26, 2013 at 5:08 pm

The area is currently part of the Republic of South Africa as KwaZulu-Natal, one of the country’s nine provinces

• 48 vitaminlover
        June 26, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Thanks, Layla. So he will be going to South Africa. Wonder if he has given Shaka Zulu any thought.

• 49 Layla
          June 26, 2013 at 5:40 pm

vl, I am reading somewhere that he might be staying at a hotel there, I guess we will have to see..

• 50 nathkatun7
      June 27, 2013 at 1:31 am

For your information, there was no ruler of any African country named “Shaka Zulu.” What you may be referring to is King Chaka who ruled over the Zulu nation. Just imagine how ludicrous it would be if some one made a movie on one the English monarch entitled “Hank England.” It’s truly amazing how many people in the west, including liberal minded people, know almost nothing about African history and African cultures. For the most part, we all victims of media stereotypes of Africa.

• 51 nathkatun7
        June 27, 2013 at 1:35 am

I meant to say “We are all victims of media stereotypes about Africa and the Africans.” I just hit post before reviewing what I wrote.

12. June 26, 2013 at 4:51 pm

June 26, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Obama’s fault.

Blogs of War ‏@BlogsofWar 11m
    US-North Korea to Hold Bilateral Talks http://ow.ly/2xTQ4v
    Retweeted by Jeff Gauvin
    Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

14. June 26, 2013 at 5:00 pm

15. 56 lisalovesobama
    June 26, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Well aren’t we lucky! Dumbass GG is considering returning to out state run/ oppressive country because of the DOMA ruling. Huh….. brazil, please keep him, y’all don’t have enough uneducated hacks in y’all’s country. I’m sure he’ll do wonders for ya.

16. June 26, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Hi Everyone; buckle up for the ride, we’re going on a trip….to Africa!!!

17. 66 mela in TX
    June 26, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Hello TOD family. I wanted to pop in (as in: out of lurking mode) to let you all know you inspired me to join Twitter last night. I’m proud to say I was one of the many who stayed up watching the amazing Wendy Davis and retweeting as fast as I could…impossible to keep up with utal but I gave it my best shot. LOL! Thanks so much to all you wonderful men and women who stood with us in spirit last night. The people united will never be defeated!
    My Twitter handle is bluetexas@bluetexasmoon …just thought I’d let you know since I “followed” quite a few TODers last night 🙂

June 26, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Now where did I get the idea the Os weren’t arriving until approx 8pm tonight – which is why I’ve been offline and moseying around? Good thing I got bored and decided to peAk in! 😉

• June 26, 2013 at 5:09 pm

8:25 GMT!! Helloooooo VC!

June 26, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Hi, mah-ve-lous CC! How are you doing on the being-up-to-date scene in the ‘real’ world? Seems like you’ve been given some ‘extra’ down time of late.

8:25GMT! Oh! O-kay. Pesky little details can be so ….. pesky. 🙄

Now I’ll have to re-order my evening and squeeze some time in between these early Africa posts to complete my overdue tax forms that I promised offspring I’d do before tomorrow morning.

19. 75 Jovie
    June 26, 2013 at 5:09 pm

June 26, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Not to spoil the mood – doing this before I forget. Folks here have often wondered about treason vis-a-vis Snowden (*I* have wondered about treason with those GOP conspirators who met in 2009 to plot against PBO) but Lawrence explains here why convicting someone of treason in the US has not been a possibility since WW11. [If shared previously I won’t be offended 😉 if you step around.]

June 26, 2013 at 5:14 pm

I saw that explanation last night. I thought he did a good job of it, and he’s probably right….just “feels” treasonous to most of us. Espionage is not a good thing to be charged with either. Either way…he holds our laws and country in disdain.

June 26, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Hi there, DesertF. Frankly Edward S. sounds to me like one confused male, desperately seeking to find his way into the history books. He has succeeded, though maybe not with the end he had envisioned.

June 26, 2013 at 5:31 pm

Hello to YOU, vc:) One of many confused males ( no offense to the smart ones here)….delusions of grandeur dance in his head…..he’s a fool and now he’s a pawn, in a serious issue that he knows nothing about..

June 26, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Edward will at least have the memories of ‘traveling the world’ and meeting with interrogators who devoted lots of time to him so that he was at different times ‘the centre of attention’. Who knows, he might even write a book from prison in his later years! I do hope he finds his way back safely to U.S to face the musi.c

• June 26, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Thanks vc for the link!

And with this I respond to the question: Legally? No. Morally? Yes. He is a TRAITOR on moral grounds and deserves to be shunned by society regardless of whether he’s charged or not.

June 26, 2013 at 5:21 pm

YW. Like the GOPs were/ARE morally traitorous re PBO, I guess. I’m glad I stumbled onto the vid though because it clarified a few things for me. Lord knows I find a lot of what goes on politically (and morally-politically – huh?) in U.S. odd.

• 83 Layla
      June 26, 2013 at 5:18 pm

I read that this am vc. I was very surprised!

• 84 carolyn
        June 26, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Saw that segment last night. Glad you provided the link. I’m with hopefruit….Legally no, but Morally yes. I’ll think of it that way.

• 85 Vicki
          June 26, 2013 at 6:04 pm

I like the term “defecter” that describes what he did. Took our secrets and left the country.

21. June 26, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Vogue profile of US Army vet Tulsi Gabbard, & I included a video of her 1rst day in office shot by @arunchaud PBO’s former videographer

22. 87 carolyn
    June 26, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Where I teach, we have a number of students from Senegal. One young lady I’m thinking of, Oumuu, plays basketball, and is tall, thin and gorgeous. When I see her I think she must be what the famed Queen of Sheba looked like. These students speak French, and our French professor employs them as French tutors to our monolingual American students who are attempting to learn French.
    I don’t know how a small religious college in the middle of Oklahoma made a connection in Senegal, possibly through missionaries, but I’m not sure.

23. June 26, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Hey Chips do you know why my last comment went to spam? Need escape from Jail please…TY

24. 95 japa21
    June 26, 2013 at 5:20 pm

25. 97 Jovie
    June 26, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Second round! Here we go!

26. June 26, 2013 at 5:21 pm

ROTFLMAO! Hey Lil Rickie sit down please.

June 26, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Of course he does. Might win the battle, but will loose the war. Texas woke the hell up, and I hope that Perry and his ilk get some serious smackdown coming to them!

• 101 carolyn
      June 26, 2013 at 5:28 pm

This calling a second special session for this purpose alone, truly shows nothing but hatred towards women. This is about keeping the patriarchy in control. It has nothing to do with women’s health, as we all know! This can propel him right out of the governorship, and Wendy Davis right in! One would think some advisers somewhere would advise him against this.

• 103 57andfemale
      June 26, 2013 at 5:55 pm

TX death panels. giving ‘small’ government the right to inflict itself on personal, deeply private medical conditions.

the stench of hypocrisy is overwhelming.

• 104 nathkatun7
      June 27, 2013 at 2:19 am

I hope that there are other Texas Democrats, in the Texas Senate, ready to pick up the barton from Sen. Wendy Davis to make sure that Perry’s 2nd special session ends up exactly like the 1st one.

27. June 26, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Stop the press is tweety actually calling out Bill Clinton on DOMA

28. 111 arapaho415
    June 26, 2013 at 5:24 pm

UTA is on top of all things Texas and #WendyDavis related, but here’s a good (IMO) cartoon rendition of her heroic action yesterday:

“Texas is on its way to becoming a blue state… Texas Republicans are unwittingly accelerating this process by scaring the crap out of women…”

29. June 26, 2013 at 5:24 pm

June 26, 2013 at 5:41 pm

A classy act Rep. John Lewis is.

June 26, 2013 at 6:03 pm

I wish Clarence Thomas and the other 4 conservative knew what class were.

• 115 nathkatun7
          June 27, 2013 at 2:56 am

Anniebella, I keep wondering how Clarence Thomas sleeps at night knowing that he is pissing on the graves of all the Black people (and some white people too) who sacrificed so much to enable him to be a Justice of the Supreme Court. Let’s be honest, George H.W. Bush did not pick Clarence Thomas, to replace the great Thurgood Marshall, because Thomas was such a brilliant lawyer. I am absolutely convinced that Bush Sr. picked Thomas because he knew that Thomas was so unqualified and so insecure that he would, forever, be beholden to his conservative masters. I was contemplating writing an open letter to Justice Thomas. I wanted to ask him in that letter if he would have sided with the Conservative majority on the Supreme Court who handed down the Dred Scott decision, or the 1883 Civil Rights Cases decision, or the 1896 Plessy v. Ferguson decision. As far as I am concerned, what the Thomas and his fellow 4 conservative justices did yesterday, about voting rights, is just as egregious as all those infamous Supreme Court decisions I’ve cited. It took a Civil War to undo the Supreme Court’s Dred Scott decision. It took 60-100 years to undo the legalized Jim Crow system unleashed by such U.S. Supreme Court decisions as the 1883 Civil Rights Cases and the 1896 Plessy V. Ferguson decision. I hope and pray that it won’t take that long to undo yesterday’s Supreme Court abomination.

30. June 26, 2013 at 5:27 pm

31. 119 anniebella
    June 26, 2013 at 5:34 pm

The Obamas are in Africa already. I missed the landing. Sasha and Malia have style just like their Mommy.

32. June 26, 2013 at 5:35 pm

33. June 26, 2013 at 5:38 pm

And having the worthless article authored by someone with an African-sounding pen name is not helping either….

34. June 26, 2013 at 5:42 pm

35. June 26, 2013 at 5:46 pm

36. June 26, 2013 at 5:53 pm

I haven’t even been to Sulivan’s site since the paywall, but I did happen to come across this bit on Bill and Hillary’s statement on SCOTUS striking down DOMA, and I gotta say, I found myself saying basically the same thing in response.

From The Annals Of Chutzpah

“By overturning the Defense of Marriage Act, the Court recognized that discrimination towards any group holds us all back in our efforts to form a more perfect union. We are also encouraged that marriage equality may soon return to California. We applaud the hard work of the advocates who have fought so relentlessly for this day, and congratulate Edie Windsor on her historic victory,” – former president Bill Clinton, who signed DOMA, insisted it was constitutional at the time, double-crossed the gay activists who originally funded him, ran ads in the South bragging of passing DOMA, doubled the rate of gay discharges from the military and signed the HIV travel ban into law.

I will now go back to ignoring Sully.

Oh and not for nothing, but I don’t think a joint statement was released on SCOTUS gutting the VRA. Although I do think either Chelsea or Bill may have tweeted about it, so there is that.

June 26, 2013 at 5:53 pm

I could not agree more.

Lost in the jubilant elation of today’s historic SCOTUS rulings, upholding of natural rights of all Americans, gay or straight, was another very important decision. The people of Massachusetts yesterday chose a newly elected Senator. He’s a long-time US representative who’s giving up his seniority in the dysfunctional House of Representative to assume the seat that until recently was held by John Kerry. He’s Ed Markey and he is more than just a new senator. His election is seen as a message. The GOP be damned.

America doesn’t want GOP rule. The Republican party did everything they could to derail Markey’s election. The national party held fundraisers and filtered Koch Brothers cash into this campaign. Millions. They made it their mandate to win this one for the party. And by a ten percent margin, their puppet candidate lost.

38. 129 Ladyhawke
    June 26, 2013 at 5:54 pm

WHAT TRANSFORMED SNOWDEN BETWEEN 2009 & 2013??

Snowden in 2009: NY Times Sources Should Be “Shot in the Balls”

By JM Ashby

———————–

I don’t agree with Snowden. I don’t believe leakers should be “shot in the balls,” but I do believe they should be prosecuted if they have broken the law. A whistleblower who has revealed criminal activity would and should be protected from prosecution, however Snowden is not a whistleblower because he did not reveal anything illegal.

Joe Mullin writing for Ars Technica can only speculate on what happened between 2009 and 2013 that transformed Snowden into who he is today, but I’m willing to take a stab at it myself.

Here’s what happened in 2009 (See photo insert)

And here’s what happened in 2012 (See photo insert)

Our own MrBrink would tell you that I speculated (admittedly with more colorful language) that these two events are what transformed Snowden into the person he is today, but the evidence to support that hypothesis is now stronger than ever.

——————————–

• June 26, 2013 at 6:12 pm

In my honest and humble opinion, excerpts from this article should be front-paged on TOD!

Let people see this REPUBLICAN FRAUD for who he really is. Let those idiots on Old Orange, MSNBC and some of the other emoprog blogs swallow their bile-filled crow – for all the hate they spewed towards our President and his supporters in their rush to defend this piece of filth.

39. June 26, 2013 at 5:58 pm

ROTFLMAO!!!! Ready for some comic relief folks? Ok- have a go at this 🙂 🙂

HEADLINE: The New Right-Wing “ObamaCars” Conspiracy Theory Is Heinously Dumb

// A new rumor is making the rounds—first on Breitbart, then Fox News and beyond—that the Senate’s immigration reform bill contains a provision that could provide free, taxpayer-subsidized cars, scooters, motorcycles, Segways, hovercraft, and god knows what to young Americans. The supposed nationwide government-sponsored “ObamaCar” giveaway would happen during a 15-month period following passage of the legislation. America will grow weaker and poorer; our enemies, foreign and domestic, will be emboldened.

I’ve reached out to the White House for comment on the existence of the government’s top-secret car-gifting plot, but have not yet received a response. Instead of allowing the Obama administration’s silence to fuel any suspicions you may have about the Far-Reaching ObamaCar Conspiracy, here’s a fleck of reassurance: There is absolutely nothing to this allegation. At all. You can add it to the long list of explosively wrong and heinously dumb conservative memes that have cropped up in the Obama era. //

HOVERCRAFT?!?!?!? LAWDHAMMMERCY…..Hahahahahahahahahahah

40. June 26, 2013 at 5:59 pm

41. 138 Nena20409
    June 26, 2013 at 6:00 pm

I have just read…..Fedrex….as amk calls him is Gone…….wow…..Bill you reported that he was losing……wow…..unbelievable. Sorry amk. Until Rafa, Federer was the player I was always wishing well…..then 17 yrs old Rafa came on, and I was gone.

Back to catching up 😉

• 139 Bill
      June 26, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Rafa would have to win 3 more Grand slams to be #2 on the all time grand slam list after Roger. I hope he can. Best time ever in men’s tennis is coming to an end..

42. June 26, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Hold up blog tyrants, new post soon!

43. June 26, 2013 at 6:02 pm

FLOTUS looks just so fabulous!!

June 26, 2013 at 6:18 pm

hey! Thanks, Ed. http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/al-qaida-said-to-be-changing-its-ways-after-leaks.php

U.S. intelligence agencies are scrambling to salvage their surveillance of al-Qaida and other terrorists who are working frantically to change how they communicate after a National Security Agency contractor leaked details of two NSA spying programs. It’s an electronic game of cat-and-mouse that could have deadly consequences if a plot is missed or a terrorist operative manages to drop out of sight.

Two U.S. intelligence officials say members of virtually every terrorist group, including core al-Qaida members, are attempting to change how they communicate, based on what they are reading in the media, to hide from U.S. surveillance. It is the first time intelligence officials have described which groups are reacting to the leaks.

• 146 ewok2
      June 26, 2013 at 6:47 pm

“Under Article III, Section 3, of the Constitution, any person who levies war against the United States or adheres to its enemies by giving them Aid and Comfort has committed treason within the meaning of the Constitution. The term aid and comfort refers to any act that manifests a betrayal of allegiance to the United States, such as furnishing enemies with arms, troops, transportation, shelter, or classified information. If a subversive act has any tendency to weaken the power of the United States to attack or resist its enemies, aid and comfort has been given”

Remember when Bush used these words to describe the Liberals during his illegal war. “Aid and comfort to the enemies”

45. 148 Jovie
    June 26, 2013 at 6:28 pm

How about the way they worded this?
    Kind of odd! Seeing how we have a real black president!

@POTUS