Jun

Rise and Shine: Senegal to South Africa

@petesouza: President Obama greets youngsters in lobby of hotel before departing Senegal

Today:

2:10 EST: The President and First Family arrive South Africa, Waterkloof Air Base, Centurion

3:0 EST: The President meets and greets Embassy personnel, Johannesburg

You can see all the posts on the visit to Africa here

President Barack Obama and first lady Michelle Obama wave from Air Force One as they depart Dakar, Senegal, June 28

Remarks by President Obama After Tour of Maison Des Esclaves: I want to thank the President of Senegal, but also the Mayor of Gorée and the museum curator here.  Obviously, it’s a very powerful moment whenever I can travel with my family, but especially for Michelle and Malia and my mother-in-law to be able to come here and to fully appreciate the magnitude of the slave trade, to get a sense in a very intimate way of the incredible inhumanity and hardship that people faced before they made the Middle Passage and that crossing.

And I think more than anything what it reminds us of is that we have to remain vigilant when it comes to the defense of people’s human rights — because I’m a firm believer that humanity is fundamentally good, but it’s only good when good people stand up for what’s right. And this is a testament to when we’re not vigilant in defense of what’s right, what can happen.

And so it’s always powerful for me to visit countries outside of the United States generally, but obviously for an African American, and an African American President to be able to visit this site I think gives me even greater motivation in terms of the defense of human rights around the world.

Thanks, you guys.

AP: President Barack Obama says he learned some lessons on a visit to Goree Island, where he toured a slave house and gazed out at the Atlantic Ocean through what’s known as the Door of No Return. It’s the point on this Senegalese island from which Africans were said to have been shipped to the Americas and into slavery.

The son of a Kenyan man, Obama said the tour helped him, and the family members who accompanied him, to “fully appreciate the magnitude of the slave trade.” He was joined by first lady Michelle Obama, daughters Malia and Sasha, his mother-in-law, Marian Robinson, and a niece, Leslie Robinson.

The president said Thursday’s trip also reminded him of the importance of standing up for human rights worldwide. “This is a testament to when we’re not vigilant in defense of human rights what can happen,” Obama said after the tour. “Obviously, for an African-American, an African-American president, to be able to visit this site, I think, gives me even greater motivation in terms of human rights around the world.”

More here

President Obama looks at rice crops during a food security expo on Frida in Dakar, Senegal. The President met with farmers, innovators, and entrepreneurs whose new methods and technologies are improving the lives of smallholder farmers throughout West Africa

Link

Francis Wilkinson (Bloomberg): Did the Supreme Court Just Turn Texas Blue?

Tuesday was a busy day for Texas Republicans. After the Supreme Court invalidated a key part of the Voting Rights Act that specifically covered Texas, state Attorney General Greg Abbott promised that his state, newly freed from federal oversight, would “immediately” implement its previously blocked voter ID law.

…. Democrats are now investing in organizing the state. They have a long way to go. But if the combination of Republican redistricting and voter ID regulations – both of which inhibit minority power – wake the sleeping nonwhite majority, the state’s demographic wave could hit shore sooner than many realize. Under optimal circumstances, Barreto said the state could become a battleground in four to eight years.

Republicans seem perversely eager to bring it on. After spending the morning gearing up to annoy blacks and Hispanics, Texas Republicans inspired a fiery filibuster by Democratic state legislator Wendy Davis that stretched into the night. By trying to regulate abortion rights out of existence, Texas Republicans made a national hero of Davis, who is already talking of running for governor. Altogether, quite a day.

Full post here

Michael Tomasky: Get Ready for More GOP Race-Baiting

Forget creating a big tent. Some Republicans want their party to simply try to win more white votes.

You, unsuspecting citizen, probably take the view that the Republican Party is too white. It’s the conventional wisdom, after all, and last year’s election results would seem to have proven the point resoundingly. But you’re obviously not up with the newest thinking in some conservative quarters, which is that the party isn’t white enough, and that the true and only path to victory in the future is to get whiter still. Some disagree, which gives us the makings of a highly entertaining intra-GOP race war playing out as we head into 2016. But given this mad party’s recent history, which side would you bet on winning?

More here

Kevin Drum (Mother Jones): Jon Chait makes an astute observation today: even Republicans aren’t talking much about White House scandals anymore. Scandalmania—which just a few weeks ago was widely thought to mark the beginning of the end of Obama’s second term—has turned out to be little more than a typical DC feeding frenzy, one that’s fading away as quickly as it burst into our collective id. It still exists in the conservative fever swamps, of course, along with Obamaphones and death panels, but out in the real world Benghazi is mostly a military debacle; the IRS is just another bureaucratic screw-up; and the NSA’s surveillance programs are a garden variety policy dispute. So what happened?

More here

And see Steve Benen: ‘The entire scandal narrative was an illusion’

Greg Sargent: …. more than half of the Senate GOP caucus voted No. And this, from Nate Cohn, is striking:

There was less Republican support for today’s bill than there was in 2006: Only 30 percent of Senate Republicans voted for today’s immigration bill, compared to 42 percent in 2006. Over the last seven years, just two Senate Republicans — Lamar Alexander and Orin Hatch — switched from “no” to “yes.”

More here

Steve Benen: With the kind of efficiency and competence we’re not accustomed to seeing on Capitol Hill, the Senate passed comprehensive immigration reform fairly easily yesterday, despite the opposition of most of the chamber’s Republicans. It was one of those rare instances in which a bipartisan group of lawmakers crafted a plan, stuck to it, and it actually worked.

But as is painfully obvious, the House of Representatives, led by a radicalized Republican majority that’s openly hostile towards immigration, will be a far more difficult hurdle.

More here

ThinkProgress: How Congress Can Undo The Supreme Court’s Attack On Workers’ Rights

On Tuesday, the Supreme Court handed down decisions in two little-watched cases: Vance v. Ball State University and University of Texas Southwestern Center v. Nassar. Both cases erected new hurdles for those who experience workplace harassment or discrimination.

In the Vance case, the Court decided that when it comes to sexual harassment, someone is only considered a “supervisor” if he has the power to hire, fire, or promote the employee. Because harassment from an equal coworker is treated differently than from a supervisor, the decision provides more cover to those who oversee someone’s work but can’t hire or fire them.

More here

GQRR: The U.S. Senate failed to pass expanded background checks despite support from 81 percent of voters nationally1. Since then, public polling has documented the fall-out for many senators who cast no votes. Five new surveys in states represented by senators who voted against S649 also show huge public support for background checks, even in gunfriendly states like Alaska and North Dakota. But this research goes further than that. It also shows, despite their previous vote, voters strongly supporting their U.S. Senator changing his or her mind. This research shows a path for these Senators to arrive at a different conclusion on background checks.

More here

*****

MoooOOOooorning, happy Friday! And huuuUUUUuuge thanks to Toon Master Amk for his early bird post.

168 Responses to “Rise and Shine: Senegal to South Africa”

June 28, 2013 at 9:19 am

1st … Ha

2. 8 donna dem 4 obama
    June 28, 2013 at 9:20 am

GM all – Beautiful R&S Chips

Well I attempted to go to work about an hour ago and when I opened my front door I was greeted by a wild pit bull that has taken up camp in my front yard and refuses to let me get to my car.

Sigh!!!!

Animal Control has been called. Sheesh!!!! 🙄 😯

3. 24 Bill
    June 28, 2013 at 9:21 am

The Bulls shirt must be in honor of PBO.

4. June 28, 2013 at 9:27 am

Chips,

THE OBAMA DIARY ROCKS!!!

thanks so much for these diaries covering the Overseas Trips…not just this one, all of them.

YOU ROCK:)

June 28, 2013 at 9:31 am

Bringing over

LIVE NOW: Standing by for Winnie Mandela Statement – South Africa: http://www.cbsnews.com/liveFeed/widget.shtml

6. 28 carolyn
    June 28, 2013 at 9:37 am

Someone may have already said this on a previous post…..I’m just beginning to read. Just heard on the BBC radio news that Snowjob’s father has given “conditions” for his son’s coming back to the U.S. “That he not be detained while waiting for trial.” He’s written the AG…..Snowjob must be getting fed up with the Moscow airport! Not so good any more…..no one wants him, and he’s stuck. Better to be here awaiting trial than stuck there……..oh my. I’m sure the AG will have a good reply for that.
    I just love the President’s operation: Wait him out.

• 29 CEB
      June 28, 2013 at 9:41 am

“Conditions” for a traitor who has run out of options? Really? They must think that PBO and AG Holder must be some boys who must knuckle under to whatever the entitled ones want. They still do not get it; well they will learn better soon.

• June 28, 2013 at 9:43 am

I smiled at the “conditions” too, CEB. If I ever, say, rob a bank, I’ll tell the authorities I won’t turn myself in until cetain conditions are met. We’ll see how that goes.

• June 28, 2013 at 9:43 am

LOL! As we predicted – Snowjob is begging to return. After PBO’s statement yesterday, I guess SnowFLAKE & his stupid “advisers” realized that they were the ones being taken for a damn ride, not PBO or the DOJ.

LMAO!!!

• 32 CEB
        June 28, 2013 at 9:47 am

Karma is a smiling bitch.

• 33 sherijr
        June 28, 2013 at 9:49 am

eggzackly HF- this : And contrary to BBC or whatever media reports – Snowden and/or his father do NOT get to decide the conditions under which he returns. They are the ones begging for mercy, not the DOJ or PBO.

I read that BBC article from daddy Snowden making demands of the DOJ. He needs to be sending his demands to and of his son, imo.

• 34 Gazelle
      June 28, 2013 at 9:46 am

The father was on the Today Show. I can understand a parent trying to protect his child, but his stuff just didn’t wash w/ me. Who is he to give damn conditions for his son’s return? Jeebus! For example:

“At this point I don’t feel that he’s committed treason. He has in fact broken U.S. law, in a sense that he has released classified information,” Lonnie Snowden told NBC’s Michael Isikoff in an exclusive interview that aired on TODAY. “And if folks want to classify him as a traitor, in fact he has betrayed his government. But I don’t believe that he’s betrayed the people of the United States. “

Snowden said he has told Attorney General Eric Holder through his lawyer that his son will probably return home if the Justice Department promises not to detain him before a trial nor subject him to a gag order. He also wants his son to choose where a trial would take place. […..]

[At least the father’s take on WikiLeaks has some logic.]

[….] Snowden has reportedly been getting help in his escape plan from WikiLeaks, whose founder, Julian Assange, has been sheltered in Ecuador’s London embassy for the past year.

Lonnie Snowden has not spoken to his son since April, but he fears that Edward may be manipulated by WikiLeaks handlers and would like to get in touch with him.

“I don’t want to put him in peril, but I am concerned about those who surround him,” Lonnie Snowden said. “I think WikiLeaks, if you’ve looked at past history, you know, their focus isn’t necessarily the Constitution of the United States. It’s simply to release as much information as possible.”

• 35 CEB
        June 28, 2013 at 9:52 am

WTF! I’ll bet he did not have conditions for China and Russia. Who does this little sniveling twerp think he is? I had better stop before I start doing some Don-style cussing.

• June 28, 2013 at 10:46 am

If he hasn’t been in contact with his son since April, how can he know what conditions he wants to turn himself in to the Justice Dept.? Summer is here, Snowflake has melted.

• 42 lisalovesobama
        June 28, 2013 at 11:07 am

No conditions! No conditions! Your son is a traitorous little fucker! No conditions! He’ll stay at that Russian hellhole of an airport for the rest of his unnatural puerile little misbegotten life or he’ll turn himself in already gagged and bound to us! No Conditions!! No Conditions, I say!!

• 43 Judith Fardig
          June 28, 2013 at 11:44 am

Tell it, Lisa!

• 44 HZ
            June 28, 2013 at 11:51 am

Amen, lisa. Hello Judith. I hope all is well with you. I am always so wonderfully happy when I see you here. HZ

• 45 carla4obama
          June 28, 2013 at 11:47 am

Hi Lisa…I read through all the TOD postings daily, but rarely comment as I’m usually “catching up” and 2 posts behind. If you do read this I want to let you know how much your postings brighten my day and make me smile. I can always count on you for speaking the truth with your usage of words that tell the real story. You give the right words to my inner feelings!!!

• 46 lisalovesobama
            June 28, 2013 at 11:56 am

Hi Carla. I hope you’re doing well. Thank you for your kind words. I hope you catch up soon so we can hear from you in ‘real-time.’ I remember some of your postings and would love to hear more from you.

• 47 a4alice
          June 28, 2013 at 6:27 pm

yep. that’s right Lisa. Agreed

• 48 Gazelle
      June 28, 2013 at 9:52 am

Then here’s Tarzan-like-Flexing of see-through muscles. Oooh, I’m so quaking in my flip-flops (LOL!):

But on Thursday, Ecuador’s President Rafael Correa described the case as a “complex situation” because Snowden must be physically in the country or inside an Ecuadorean embassy for his asylum application to be processed.

“For that to happen, a country would have to allow him to enter its territory, which has not come about yet,” Correa said. “We don’t know it’ll be resolved.”

In a diplomatic slap to the United States, Correa also renounced a multimillion-dollar trade deal up for renewal between the two countries, saying any agreement would not be influenced by the Snowden case.

Earlier this week, U.S. Sen. Robert Menendez, the New Jersey Democrat who heads the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, promised to block renewal of the pact if Snowden were to receive asylum.

“Our government will not reward countries for bad behavior,” he said in a statement.

That prompted Ecuador’s Correa to renounce the trade deal as part of a “blackmail” scheme.

“Do not threaten us with removing the preferential tariffs. We unilaterally and irrevocably waive them,” he said. “You can keep them.”

• 54 arapaho415
      June 28, 2013 at 10:11 am

7. 55 CEB
    June 28, 2013 at 9:37 am

Good morning, Chips and any TODers and Lurkers who missed the pre-Rise and Shine.

8. 56 GGAIL
    June 28, 2013 at 9:38 am

Hiya Chipsticks

June 28, 2013 at 9:38 am

Those two shy kids deliberating about waving to flotus is cute.

10. June 28, 2013 at 9:39 am

G’morning Chips, TOD, lurkers, everyone, and congrats amk on #1! 🙂

11. June 28, 2013 at 9:44 am

thanks for the great cartoons from amk and great r&s Chips. Love coming here at the end of a busy shift. I can sleep peacefully, knowing all is well.

12. June 28, 2013 at 9:44 am

If you would like to follow a live blog of the George Zimmerman trial, go here:

• June 28, 2013 at 11:00 am

Thanks Rikyrah. The last two days were hard. I was so disgusted with West. I wish I could see Jurors reaction. I think the Zimmerman trial is important, but MSNBC covered it all morning. Not a peep about Pres. Obama. Then they didn’t show the two women at the end who were close by. Phone records don’t lie.

13. 67 criquet
    June 28, 2013 at 9:44 am

Morning all.

Krugman can be strange but he is honest in his beliefs.

This is good from him:

• 68 donna dem 4 obama
      June 28, 2013 at 9:59 am

“Maybe the news media have actually learned something; maybe they’re effectively disciplined, this time around, by the blogosphere. Anyway, the narrative of a scandal-ridden presidency seems to be evaporating as we speak.”

He makes a valid point here but I have to disagree with his summation of the media. They haven’t gotten a clue. The only reason these so-called “scandals” didn’t stick is because of blogs, twitter, facebook and other social media. We hold the MSM accountable. They repeat the same stupid RW talking points until we point out to them that their crap is bogus. They just can no longer get away with spreading the RW propaganda and lies. None and I mean None of these summer scandals had any legs to them. The media tried with all their might to spread these lies (looking at you Jon Karl of ABC news) but with technology (like email trails) it wasn’t gonna happen. We the people who speak truth to power shut them down!!!

And as far as I’m concerned Issa should be brought up on ethics charges because of the way he has lied over and over again about this administration but our lazy, sloppy media says nothing. If anything happens to Issa it will have to come from the hold them accountable crusaders online. Just like everything else!!!

• 69 CEB
        June 28, 2013 at 10:06 am

Are you still under house arrest?

• 70 donna dem 4 obama
          June 28, 2013 at 10:07 am

Yep!!!!!

• 71 Bill
            June 28, 2013 at 10:13 am

Can you post a photo of your new four legged friend?

• 72 CEB
            June 28, 2013 at 10:14 am

Hang in there, girl. Try to think of it as a mini-vacation.

I have been held hostage by possums, raccoons, mice, and swarming insects that bite ( I am very allergic); books and TOD got me through until rescue came.

• 73 donna dem 4 obama
              June 28, 2013 at 10:17 am

I work in Accounting and today is month end!!!

This means I’ll be working on Saturday.

DonnaDem is not a happy camper this morning 🙄

• 74 Layla
              June 28, 2013 at 10:20 am

CEB, have you thought about moving! lol

• 75 CEB
                June 28, 2013 at 10:36 am

I live inn the middle of a suburban neighborhood, but for some reason my backyard is like wild kingdom. I even saw a peregrine falcon one morning. There is a squirrel highway ( I used to be so pleased that there were so many trees) and space for the feral cats (that I hate) to chill out and give birth. I probably need a dog. Donna, send the pit bull my way.

• 76 HZ
        June 28, 2013 at 11:02 am

“We the people who speak truth to power shut them down!!!.” Sooooooooooooooooooooo True, donna dem. Thank you for your comments on this.

Please be careful. (((((( Lots of hugs while you wait))))))HZ

14. 77 jackiegrumbacher
    June 28, 2013 at 9:45 am

Terrific roundup, Chips. I thought it ironic that Steve Benen who was himself pushing the NSA “scandal” is dismayed that there will be little media attention paid to the fact that all their breathless scandal hyping was a bag of nothing. Funny how he missed the log on his own shoulder. The president treated all of this hysteria the way he always does, with calmness, truth and accuracy. The more the media tries to goad him, the calmer he gets and that irritates the heck out of them. Meantime, his true supporters stay with him and work to uncover the truth.

• 78 amk for obama
      June 28, 2013 at 9:49 am

benen went emoprog on nsa ? daymn.

• June 28, 2013 at 9:50 am

Indeed jackie – now that Snowjob is apparently begging to return to the US, the MSM is now pushing an angle – again in an attempt to goad PBO.

• June 28, 2013 at 9:54 am

I didn’t really think that about Benen, Jackie. Like Charles Pierce, whose hair has been on fire on this, it’s a big issue for him, but I felt he was pretty balanced about it all. And he seemed to be highly sceptical about Snowden from the start.

• 86 arapaho415
        June 28, 2013 at 10:04 am

I don’t visit Benen regularly, but I recall many in TODville suggested that his lips remained sealed on #Snowden #GGreenwald, no doubt because he disagreed with his boss @Maddow and the truly hysterical @ChrisLHayes.

• June 28, 2013 at 10:11 am

To be fair to him, arapaho415, he has written about it quite a bit, eg:

….. Also note, Snowden is currently in Hong Kong, which he believes has “a spirited commitment to free speech.” That’s … odd. There’s certainly ample room for criticism of the U.S. system, but China not only has a vast surveillance state, it also relies on heavy-handed censorship of speech, press, and online communications — the kind of actions that would be largely unthinkable in the United States.

Indeed, in the 2013 Reporters Without Borders Press Freedom Index, Hong Kong slipped to 58th place internationally. The United States could be far better, but it was 32nd.

• 88 57andfemale
        June 28, 2013 at 10:11 am

My impression is that Benen has stayed away from this issue for the most part. It’s tough since Rachel Maddow is his boss. He certainly didn’t jump on the bandwagon with both feet, as I recall. Not like Pierce and some of the others (which frankly I expected).

I was surprised when I would go to his blog during the height of the b.s. and notice that he didn’t have a post on it at all. I admit I don’t linger there every day, all day but even if he’s a big emoprog on it, I can’t lump him in with the other hair-on-fire types.

• 89 Gazelle
      June 28, 2013 at 10:09 am

The other day, some TV newsreader (can’t call him anything else, professionally speaking!) actually referred to Snowjob as Spy/Whistleblower. WTF?! You can’t have both, dood! Idiot!

• 90 arapaho415
        June 28, 2013 at 10:16 am

That takes the cake.

We need a roundup of those in the media who pounced on this administration’s scandalbra (which would include just about all MSM on twitter) and ask them to explain why they label as “scandals” stories which originated and were promoted by the Tea Party (#Bengazi, IRS) and the media (AP, GGreenwald/Snowden).

June 28, 2013 at 9:50 am

he Ministry of Defence says the first group of detainees captured by British forces in Afghanistan has been transferred to the Afghan authorities.

Ten have been handed over and the MoD said it planned to transfer the remaining 82 from Camp Bastion “as soon as possible”.

However, legal challenges prevent the transfer of seven detainees.

On Thursday, two men dropped challenges to their detention and can now be transferred, the High Court heard.

The court confirmed that, subject to detainees confirming that they did not want legal representation, they could be transferred to the Afghan National Detention Facility, within the US Bagram airbase in Parwan province.

16. 93 Layla
    June 28, 2013 at 9:51 am

Having a bad day…think again:

AP

SAN DIEGO — Authorities say an exploding refrigerator led them to a marijuana-growing operation in San Diego.

City News Service says the fridge exploded and caused a fire Thursday afternoon at a home in the Encanto neighborhood.

It took firefighters about 30 minutes to douse the fire and there were no injuries.

However, police say authorities later discovered marijuana growing at the house and a quantity of flammable hash oil, which apparently caused the explosion.

Three people were held for questioning.

17. 95 Ladyhawke
    June 28, 2013 at 9:52 am

AN INDICTMENT OF THE MEDIA

The way politics is covered by the media you would think that President Obama is the only government official responsible for governing. The coverage of the manufactured controversies have gotten excessive attention while the dysfunction and obstruction of Republicans in congress basically gets a pass. And wouldn’t you know it, congress is off for yet another recess before taking the month of August off. The House already has two weeks on and one week off and they have done absolutely nothing productive. The juxtaposition of these two stories should make the media take a long look in mirror, but it won’t.

===============================================================================

1) CRICKETS

Congress leaves D.C. with full agenda

2) OBSESSIVE WALL-TO-WALL COVERAGE

‘The entire scandal narrative was an illusion’

June 28, 2013 at 9:59 am

brit teen laura robson goes to 3rd round with an easy 2-0 win in second. Some one to watch for.

19. 97 JER
    June 28, 2013 at 10:01 am

June 28, 2013 at 10:08 am

Fantastic round-up Chiparoo. Rick Perry is a fool if he thinks using sexist language to come after Wendy Davis makes him a hero or will endear him to women. He’s just giving her more time in the spotlight and that’s a fantastic thing. It’s nice to see the national media finally paying attention to her. She’s been a rising star in Texas and will definitely be going places. Carry on Rick Perry; carry on.

Congress MUST do something about the gouging of the VRA and the erosion of workers rights to sue for racial discrimination and sexual harassment. VRA got a lot of headlines as it rightfully should (every day until this crappy GOP filled congress does something about it) but the two cases on workers rights are huge…huge…huge. The conservative wing of the SCOTUS is steadily eroding all the progress previous SCOTUS’s made and this is dangerous. They’ve granted corporations the same rights as humans with Citizens United. Given police officers the right to swab for DNA without a warrant or justifiable probable cause; thereby rending the 4th amendment to pieces, turned the 5th amendment on its head by saying you can remain silent but your silence will be used against you, twisted and perverted Miranda rights, let generic drug companies off the hook for producing shoddy drugs that could lead to death of consumers, left affirmative action up in the air to be destroyed another day. They are steadily taking away human beings rights. If there ever was a perfect example of why voting should be mandatory and fair, the conservative wing of the SCOTUS is it.

• 102 arapaho415
      June 28, 2013 at 10:19 am

Did you see this from last night?

• June 28, 2013 at 10:26 am

Mooooorning UT!!! Just adding this now, missed it yesterday – did you see it?

Francis Wilkinson (Bloomberg): Did the Supreme Court Just Turn Texas Blue?

Full post here:

June 28, 2013 at 10:10 am

blackberry 84 mil in 1st Q. They are so 2010. Their mail service is redenculously priced.

• 105 57andfemale
      June 28, 2013 at 10:13 am

So I shouldn’t consider it when I upgrade this month?

Wasn’t really planning on it anyway, but I was going to check it out.

• 106 amk for obama
        June 28, 2013 at 10:16 am

I never had one even though it was considered a businessman’s must. Why would I pay for their mail services when I can just as easily download mails via push to mail that any cellphone offers, at a fraction of their cost.

• 107 57andfemale
          June 28, 2013 at 10:19 am

They had an opportunity, and took plenty of time. they should have fixed damn near everything if they have a snowball’s chance in hell of competing with iPhone and Samsung (Samsung being what I’m comfortable with).

• 108 amk for obama
            June 28, 2013 at 10:21 am

Yup, they missed the boat in several aspects. Once they satisfied a businessman’s ego, they found no replacement market since by then they were branded as stuffy and their phones weren’t that great either.

22. 109 JER
    June 28, 2013 at 10:11 am

23. 116 donna dem 4 obama
    June 28, 2013 at 10:14 am

This damn dog is now chilling out under my husbands truck like he doesn’t have a care in the world.

LEAVE MY HOUSE NOW you creature!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. 136 criquet
    June 28, 2013 at 10:23 am

This is what the media

• 137 criquet
      June 28, 2013 at 10:38 am

This what the media should be focusing on – I meant to say above. Sorry.

• June 28, 2013 at 10:39 am

Yeah…again, AFTER the fact. Zizi’s post has now circulated far and wide, and this info is known, so the MSM was shamed into doing what they should have done in the first place. Instead they were hankering after GOP talking points about “cost to taxpayers” or “Kenyans disappointed with Obama” etc. I basically said as much yesterday…

• 139 HZ
        June 28, 2013 at 11:44 am

Amen, hopefruit2! There is an article in GQ : “The Audacity of BRO: Meet the Brother Obama Can’t Hide.” These haters are always trying to stir up crap. The article is disgusting IMO. Just another turn-coat relative who chooses not to fill his own space and now wants to blame it on his half-brother, our POTUS. I better stop because when I first got my magazine and saw the article on the front, I was tempted to trash it, but I read it and chose not to allow it to taint my space that evening after reading. it.

I do not trust any of these people when it comes to speaking about my president. I know facts personally, and I know that is why I get so pissed when I read some of this crap.

POB is a stronger and more calmer person than I will ever be when it come to certain things. Bless his beautiful heart and wonderful spirit.HZ

• June 28, 2013 at 10:42 am

It’s not suddenly. The Obama Administration has been doing this since his first term. Is it too much to ask that places like Mother Jones pay attention?

• 141 CEB
        June 28, 2013 at 10:49 am

You made the point before i did. The only thing sudden about it is that THEY have only now have begun to pay attention.

• 142 HZ
          June 28, 2013 at 11:30 am

I just shouted out to my walls the same thing, derbingle and CEB. Can someone put that on twitter, I mean about the “suddenly.” Those lying talking heads. I like David Corn at times, but he just pissed into my space. I gotta clean it up now. Sorry TOD family. HZ

25. 143 Jovie
    June 28, 2013 at 10:24 am

Pelosi: Democrats coalescing around Hillary for president
    Justin Sink
    06/28/13 08:37 AM ET
    If Clinton were to run, “she would be the best-prepared person to enter the White House in decades.”…

That’s kind of rough, but she is sticking up for her members frankly who love the Clinton’s.
    I don’t get that.
    But of worst cones to worst she’s better than any republican!!

• 144 itgurl_29
      June 28, 2013 at 10:33 am

They were coalescing around her in ’07 as well, until Barack Obama came along. This “crown Queen Hillary” movement is already more nauseating than it was back in ’07.

• June 28, 2013 at 10:40 am

Agreed. Whatever happened to waiting to see how things play out?

• June 28, 2013 at 10:40 am

Yup – Hillary was considered a “done deal” in 2007. And she may not even run, depending on how things go. Some people never learn.

• 147 amk for obama
          June 28, 2013 at 10:45 am

And she may not even run

egg.sack.lee.

But then this is all media build-up just like they did in 2006. My reading is that she won’t run.

• 148 lisalovesobama
            June 28, 2013 at 11:30 am

If she’s smart she won’t, because her butt will just be handed to her again by another Democrat or a republican. I do not support Billary’s return to the White House. Those days are over! Billary are like those 50 year old women who are fighting against their age so they dress like they’re 21, act like they are 21, attempt to date 21 year olds instead of aging gracefully. It’s not a pretty sight and you can’t help but feel some pity for them. Billary is the same way. Move the fuck outta the way so newer stock can make their way up the ladder and make a mark on their world/country!

• 149 Jewelz
          June 28, 2013 at 11:00 am

Hopefruit-Clinton will definitely run and you can put that in the bank. The Clintons have never been known to let opportunities like that slip them by. Why else do you think the Clintons clan are doing everything they can to degrade President Obama and his administration?

• 150 Jewelz
      June 28, 2013 at 10:52 am

I like Nancy Pelosi but that statement is a slap in face to Vice President Joe Biden. Being a former first lady doesn’t make you an expert on what it takes to be president. I am really getting sick and tired of some in the democratic party trying to play the inevitable card again in regards to the Clinton. I will support anyone but Hillary in the primary. And if she somehow wins the nomination, I will not vote for her. It will be the first time that I will refrain from voting in the general election since I was eligible to vote. And I’m not the only one that feel this way.

• 151 Jovie
        June 28, 2013 at 11:16 am

That’s why they are doing this, hoping to drive a wedge, hoping you guys don’t vote.
        It’s working, Gop president and repeal if Obamacare and Ryan plan here we come.
        Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face?

• 152 lisalovesobama
          June 28, 2013 at 11:38 am

Well, it’s working and I won’t vote for her. Not in a million years. She and republicans are basically first cousins so no, I don’t see the difference between them.

• 153 lisalovesobama
        June 28, 2013 at 11:36 am

I’m in Florida and I’m a registered independent so I can’t vote in the primaries, but if she’s the nominee, I won’t be voting at all. I’m sorry, but for me, voting for her would be like voting for a republican, both options are untenable.

• 154 Lovepolitics2008
        June 28, 2013 at 12:52 pm

I would prefer another candidate than Hillary. She and her husband are too deferential to the military-industrial complex and to corporate America. So she’s not the best candidate to carry President Obama’s legacy. Despite all the whining from the “left”, Barack Obama is the most liberal, the most anti-war, the most “pro middle-class” president that America has seen in a LONG, LONG time.

Another reason I’m not comfortable with a Hillary candidacy is Bill Clinton. How on earth would Hillary be able to establish her authority with Bill constantly looking over her shoulder, constantly “socializing” with Congress people, media people, lobbyists and the like ? Bill Clinton LOVED being president and would have loved to be able to stay for a third term. He wouldn’t be able to restrain himself. He maybe would try to convince himself and others he’s just a “trusted advisor” to his wife. But the atmosphere in Washington, all the games and influence peddling would rapidly create a sentiment that the Presidency would be a “co-presidency”.

That being said, if Hillary gets the nomination, I want her to win. A republican in the White House is a no-no for me. Not until the GOP reforms itself.

One thing that I could find positive about a Hillary candidacy is if she’s the only democrat who could create a wave of such support that republicans would get CREAMED in Congressional elections. A few months ago, she polled well in states like Arkansas, Georgia, Florida… That’s something to consider. But polls can change, and 2016 is still very far away…

• 155 debz
      June 28, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Pelosi needs to stop with this Hillary shit. It’s bad enough she and other dems are pushing Hillary on us, but to insult President Obama and all of us who voted for him is not going to help anything. We have a President who represents the future we do not need a 70 year old pres to take us back to the “good old days” of the Clinton years. No more baby boomers(I say that as one of them). The last thing I ever want to see is Hillary’s phoney, smarmy husband anywhere near the WH. Pelosi better stop talking about 2016 and start talking 2014, because If she and the DCCC abd DSCC can’t get people out to vote in 2014, I will happily sit home in 2016 election if Hillary is the nominee.

• 156 nospin
      June 28, 2013 at 3:33 pm

No more Clintons in the WH. There are other more qualified people who will run but they can forget it. She will not and never will be POTUS. For me the obvious choice is Ride or Die Joe Biden and if Joe decides not to run, I am looking for other alternatives.

26. June 28, 2013 at 10:32 am

From the BBC article

He said that his son had broken the law, but denied he was a traitor.

“At this point I don’t feel that he’s committed treason,” he said. “He has in fact broken US law, in a sense that he has released classified information.”

That’s good enough for the Justice Department. You want to quibble over what to label him fine but he broke the law. Even Pop Snowden is accepting that reality. Setting terms and conditions however is still delusional but I’m guessing that’s slipping away from him as we speak.

• 158 nospin
      June 28, 2013 at 3:35 pm

actually his Daddy said something to the effect of — he broke the law, released classified information, betrayed his government but NOT the people.

smdh

….and that is why Snowden did what he did and felt he would not be held responsible for it.

27. 159 Vicki
    June 28, 2013 at 10:35 am

Next week I predict we will hear little to nothing about 1) Paula Deen 2) IRS scandals 3) Snowflake

Maybe the focus can shift to 1) the positive business aspects of the Africa Trip 2) persuading the House that it is in their interest to pass immigration and 3) gearing up for a return to energy towards background checks.

A woman can dream, can’t she..

28. June 28, 2013 at 10:37 am

Well hiddee ho all you O’s!!!! What a great getting up day on the TOD block!!! Nice round-up Chips. These last few threads on the trip to Africa are the best.

So a very strong wind came through my part of town yesterday, which was as close to me going to the basement for shelter as I’ve ever been. My new one year old roof has shingles laying on the lawn. Now, I’ll find out if all that sales talk mean anything. There was a reason that I held out on giving any feedback about them.

So Donna, I hear there’s planning going on in your neighborhood for a big July 4th celebration……you’re slated for the doggie rotisserie.

29. 162 Mellesia Barnett
    June 28, 2013 at 10:45 am

Good Morning everyone

30. June 28, 2013 at 10:49 am

Correction to schedule in post – the WH site:

1:10 pm EST: The President and the First Family arrive South Africa

2:00 pm EST The President meets and greets Embassy personnel

• 164 HZ
      June 28, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Chips, have told you lately how much (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( I love my beautiful, brilliant, Angel, Chips)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))HZ

31. 165 arapaho415
    June 28, 2013 at 10:56 am

32. 167 Gazelle
    June 28, 2013 at 10:58 am

[This is really something special! I did not know all this!}:

[….] Presumably, the Federal Election Commission will now interpret the word “spouse” to include all legally married couples where it appears in federal campaign finance law. This would end DOMA’s discriminatory impact in this area. As the Amicus Brief filed by Caplin & Drysdale noted, DOMA legally barred married gays and lesbians from political expression and association opportunities afforded to other married citizens. Specifically, DOMA had the following effects on First Amendment rights:

Married gay and lesbian candidates who ran for federal office could not fund their campaigns using personal resources that were available to other married candidates. This was important, since over 40% of the 3,061 congressional candidates during the 2012 election cycle relied on personal resources to fund their campaigns.

Individuals in same-sex marriages could not attend certain political meetings or interact with certain political groups that were open to other married citizens. […..]

33. June 28, 2013 at 11:30 am

Question: Did anyone see Sasha in any of the Senegal photos after the arrival ceremony at the airport? Didn’t see her in the Goree Island pics. Plus PBO only mentioned Malia, Michelle & Mother in Law in his Goree Island remarks. I hope she was not taken ill or something after they arrived. Any info?

@POTUS