Oct

The Hollow Men

We are the hollow men

We Are the stuffed men

Leaning together

Headpiece filled with straw. Alas!

Our dried voices, when

We whisper together

Are quiet and meaningless

As wind in dry grass

Or rats’ feet over broken glass

In our dry cellar

-T.S. Eliot

This crisis was manufactured, yes, but for a purpose.

The country as it is trending is a country which frightens an unfortunately significant number of Americans. Not significant enough to win elections, as one does in a democratic republic, but significant enough so that it adheres to itself the power of destruction.

If the Tea Party caucus in the House was its own party, and not part of the GOP, it would be a toothless, useless animal. It doesn’t have the votes to pass the renaming of a post office, much less matters of national import. But, it is part of the GOP caucus, and its power doesn’t lie in numbers. Its power lies in what any mafioso would recognize: that of extortionate threats. And any Republican who might want to make an accommodation with the Democrats has to look over his shoulder, wondering what Freedom Works will do when the next primary comes up. If they were men and women of honor, they would damn the next election and do what’s right to save the country. But we have to come to the point where we stop deluding ourselves: there is no moderate GOP caucus. If one existed, it would have revolted by now, siding with House Democrats and ending this farce. It hasn’t. And it won’t.

Today’s GOP, all of it, from John Boehner down to Louie Gohmert, consist of hollow men and women. They’re not in government to serve the commonwealth. They don’t believe in the United States, not the country as it exists. They believe in a country which never existed, where everyone knew one’s place, and people like them were at the top, or, more frankly, local capos.

There are no moderates. They all serve an ideology of death, one which says that if the country can’t conform to their vision, then they will destroy it, and take the rest of the world with it as well.

I would like to believe that Boehner will come to his senses. But he has shown no hint of that. He has no sense. Whether it’s fear or brute callousness is immaterial. The results are the same. He can’t lead because he doesn’t want to lead. The scuppering of yet another House GOP plan by conservative interest groups because it wasn’t bloody enough is evidence of this. Boehner’s plan was another awful one, but not awful enough. So he has again abdicated all responsibility.

This is a manufactured crisis, but one manufactured with a purpose.

The hollow men who fund the GOP don’t care a whit for the Constitution, only insofar as it can be interpreted to benefit them. And if it stands in their way, better that the whole house burn. They’ll survive, or so they think. They think themselves masters of the universe, able to thrive in any environment, even one of chaos. But chaos respects nothing but brute strength, and they may find that the skills which served them well in a regulated market will be as ash in the brave new world towards which they wish us to slouch.

The Koch brothers thrive only because they live in a functioning state, with laws, courts, a military. How will they continue to flourish when all of it falls apart? And if we default, and if the world’s economy is thrown into the ocean, how can they be sure that they’ll be able to control events? History has a strange way of spiraling out of control, even of those as well-heeled as the Kochs. They may find that their money buys not many friends, when they and their peers engineer a needless catastrophe.

Barack Obama was the catalyst, the final affront to a sense of privilege slipping away. As I’ve observed him, and written about him, I’ve seen that from the beginning he’s seen the existential problem facing this country. It is one which sees democracy as a problem, because the wrong people are getting a taste of power. A democracy in which a son of a white Kansas mother and a black Kenyan father can ascend to the world’s most powerful office is a democracy which is malfunctioning, according to some. It is a democracy which has to be scaled back, straitened, “reformed” so that such a thing doesn’t keep happening. Obama embodies everything they fight against. He is the new America, which, ironically, they want to abort.

But it has already been born. And it is finding its feet. And it will not be told to retreat back to its ghetto.

The hollow men have already lost, as hollow men always do. But they can do great damage in their defeat. The next twenty-four hours will be as fraught with meaning as the Cuban missile crisis, as the struggle against Nazism, as the great fratricide of the Civil War. Hopefully this won’t be our epitaph:

This is the way the world ends

This is the way the world ends

This is the way the world ends

Not with a bang but a whimper.

129 Responses to “The Hollow Men”

• 2 99ts
      October 15, 2013 at 9:43 pm

wtg Dudette & thanks LL for the post – your writing is superb – are you still working on a novel – you can surely put the words together – I have all the thoughts in my head – and they come out a tangled mess – you have the thoughts and the words and the writing skill.

1. 6 Dudette
    October 15, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Woot! Good thing I didn’t stop to read the post first! 😀

• 7 Judith Fardig
      October 15, 2013 at 9:33 pm

The post is devastatingly clear on the m.o. of these m.f.ers. I don’t usually swear like a longshoreman, but I do this week!

October 15, 2013 at 9:46 pm

Right there with you, Judith!

• 9 Dudette
        October 15, 2013 at 9:55 pm

I’m a bad influence. I hang my head in shame. 👿

• 10 HZ
          October 16, 2013 at 12:13 am

We are the ‘ loving productive people with shame for a season.’ Dudette, jacquelineoboomer, Judith, and all of us who leave our ‘swearing vocabularies’ in other spaces have an exception for this season of our journey with our President.

It is not the swearing that come from our lips, but it is the pain that caused those words to take a form of such that we have to allow them to escape rather than taint out spaces that we uphold for the goodness of what our president has to go through , but yet should not have to go through. That is our position, and we will not disrespect anyone here, but it hurts like a hellish toothache with your dentist out of the country for two weeks. That is how it feels to me.

But we have each other and all of the brilliant thinkers who put their words and thought processes down on paper for all of us to think, and receive some sense of guidance as to where we are, where we have been, and where we have to go. I appreciate the many who are a part of this family who are so brilliant with their writing skills. You all keep me sane during this horrific time in our president’s journey.

LL, thank you tonight along with UT and all of the brilliant writers here. I am not one with that gift, but I certainly appreciate the gifts that all of you share so beautifully with this beautiful TOD family. Brilliant minds. I said those very words to a young man at then OFA during the election of 2012, and he was silent for a few seconds and I asked him why the silence, and he said to me, ” You brought tears to my eyes because everyday people do not realize how brilliant the president really is, and how so many brilliant people who quietly work for him and all of us without any fanfare. He is so appreciative of you brilliant TOD support ers.” That was said to me, and this young man had No reason to bs me.

I spoke with my loving brother this afternoon, and from his experience on this last trip out of the country while traveling with two dear and very brilliant young people, they (because of their careers) were discussing our president’s ability to do more than one thing at a time and be so focused keeps them so calm because he said that PBO is the same core young man that they knew in law school, but just has become even better through all that he has to go through daily. I began to cry, and my brother picked up on my reaction and said,; ” You just have to remember That, when you get tired, okay.” I said , “Okay, Now may I have a little red tonight?” He replied, “If you need it, yes.”

I told him how proud I am of him and to give the two travelers who went with him on this trip a big’ sis hug’ from me. They are calm young people, but they know how much I can worry sometimes about situations concerning our president; so they say to me sweetly,”Your President.” It is very endearing.

But we will have our reds and white, teas and coffees, but we will be fine, and our president will be fine as well. He is deeply concerned about how we the people will be. That I know for a fact personally. As long as we come together and place our goodness of decent, loving, and positive brilliant minds and energies together; he feels it, and he thrives on it. That is one way our president stands and will continue to stand. We must keep his back. So our ‘swear’ is not evil or sinful, it is pure with a decent human reality of true trust and caring for an honorable president in our lifetime. HZ

2. 12 Dudette
    October 15, 2013 at 9:08 pm

😎 😎 😎

3. 19 forus50
    October 15, 2013 at 9:11 pm

4. October 15, 2013 at 9:12 pm

OMG, this is UNREAL

5. 28 forus50
    October 15, 2013 at 9:12 pm

6. 34 Nena20409
    October 15, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Excellent Essay LL. Thanks.

Congrats Lovely TOD Music Video Jam Mistress 😉

7. October 15, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Well LL …

“The next twenty-four hours will be as fraught with meaning as the Cuban missile crisis, as the struggle against Nazism, as the great fratricide of the Civil War.”

…. that’s a shared assessment of the situ, as you know.

I have vivid memories of the hours before the Soviets blinked. VIVID.

The current Coup d’Etat attempt is far more threatening.

And, I know President Obama will not blink.

So, everyone you’re living in the moment in which the future of America is forged.

Fired Up ….. Ready to Roll ….

8. 38 Dudette
    October 15, 2013 at 9:16 pm

LL, I humbly bow to you, Sir!
    That was a splendid essay. Words that must read and shared far and wide! Thank you!

9. 39 Dudette
    October 15, 2013 at 9:17 pm

10. October 15, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Iann Millhiser is confident about POTUS!

• 41 99ts
      October 15, 2013 at 9:40 pm

And he sorted out a Ted Cruz staffer who is blaming ObamaCare because of confusion about her health insurance – Do these people just stargaze at their hero of the day, while attacking the blah guy.

11. October 15, 2013 at 9:21 pm

No, House Republicans Can’t Just Skip Town And Stick Obama With A Ransom Note

Tuesday morning, the National Review’s Ramesh Ponnuru reported that House Republicans “may pass” their proposal to end the shutdown, prevent default and exact certain concessions from Democrats, “and then skip town.” The implicit threat being that President Obama and the Senate could either take what the House Republican caucus is offering, or they can watch the American economy tumble into the chaos of a debt default….

….The Constitution gives President Obama a way to reconvene Congress, and the House rules enable Leader Nancy Pelosi’s caucus to bring Republicans back to the Capitol to do their job…..

• 43 Nena20409
      October 15, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Ramesh Ponnuru should not write bat poop nonsense if he is unaware of the Constitution and the House Rules.

12. 44 sherijr
    October 15, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Both the ‘like’ button and the tweet button are missing on this post… am I the only one missing this?

13. 47 pickle48
    October 15, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Love the T. S. Eliot quote, LL. I’ve been thinking of the Republicans, especially the Tea Baggers, as “white sepulchers,” much the same thing…..

14. 51 Dudette
    October 15, 2013 at 9:24 pm

I was just thinking we need some music up in here…

15. October 15, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Greenwald update:

By Mark Hosenball
    WASHINGTON, Oct 15 – Glenn Greenwald, who has made headlines around the world with his reporting on U.S. electronic surveillance programs, is leaving the Guardian newspaper to join a new media venture funded by eBay founder Pierre Omidyar, according to people familiar with the matter.

And stole this from 57andFemale earlier today (57F, if you’re here, are you on Twitter?):

16. October 15, 2013 at 9:28 pm

LL, regarding the Hollow Men. There are two factions that plan to put pressure on GOPers that don’t do what they want. This is one:

The shutdown’s enforcer-in-chief

….But the ones feeling the pain from Needham right now are Republicans. His group, funded by the Koch brothers and anonymous donors, is the one that joined Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) to rally opposition to Obamacare this summer. Together, Cruz and Heritage Action deserve much of the credit for forcing the government shutdown — and Heritage is threatening to use its considerable war chest against Republicans who waver in the effort to abolish the nation’s health-care law…..

….At the moment, Needham is fighting alongside Republicans. But Heritage Action’s broader goal is to turn the GOP into a “libertarian populist” party freed from Wall Street and K Street. Slate’s John Dickerson asked whether Needham was trying to force a confrontation to induce a “massive crackup of the old order” in the GOP.

“I’m pretty optimistic that it’s going to happen and it’s going to happen pretty soon,” Needham said…..

• October 15, 2013 at 9:40 pm

I can’t find the link to the second article, but it was about business and Chamber of Commerce being unhappy with the shutdown and saying they would primary GOP reps that voted for it. They are getting hit on both sides. We are certainly watching something at work here. The delusion and cohesiveness in the GOP is mind boggling to me. I feel passionate about working doing something about every single local, state or federal election I can find out about starting now. GOTV. We wouldn’t have these problems if these guys weren’t getting elected. It will make a HUGE difference to turn Virginia’s governor red to blue. The elections will be fair for one thing. Virginia has a lot of electoral votes for the presidential elections. It’s huge and the election is in a few days. 11/5/13. Christie in NJ. There is a lot for us to do.

As always TOD and TODers are a secure island and safe harbor. Blessings to all of you!

October 15, 2013 at 9:28 pm

LMAO! This photoshop is too funny. Also, note PBO in the background with the white robe and cigarette. 🙂 🙂

18. October 15, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Posted at the end of the last thread, but the chutzpah of the GOP is really something.

19. October 15, 2013 at 9:30 pm

I have heard that John Boehner drinks a lot. He has a look similar of people I have known that drink too much. Many of those people do not have a lot of brain power in that I think they suffered lasting brain damage from the alcohol. Many say the Speaker is smart like a fox. I have not noticed that. What I have wondered could we be suffering from a speaker that is impaired by alcohol consumption actually unable to pull off close, timely interactions? I suppose there is no real way to test or prove my theory, but it reminds me of flying in a plane with a pilot that is drunk.

• 71 Nena20409
      October 15, 2013 at 9:38 pm

I also believe that Boehner enjoys the power and the chaos. Note, we have not seen Boehner weeping in months…….publically.

October 15, 2013 at 9:38 pm

I heard Thom Hartmann describe him today as a functioning alcoholic. I beg to differ.

• October 15, 2013 at 9:41 pm

I think it’s a legitimate question. The fact that he keeps doing the same thing over and over and over without success is absolutely a symptom of something serious.

• 74 theo67
      October 15, 2013 at 9:48 pm

That may explain Boehner’s actions (or rather, inaction), but how do we explain the other Republicans’ behavior?

20. 77 Ladyhawke
    October 15, 2013 at 9:39 pm

FINALLY ………

NORM ORNSTEIN IS ON THE RACHEL MADDOW SHOW RIGHT NOW.

21. October 15, 2013 at 9:40 pm

JO’B, if you’re here.

Responding to your post on previous thread re: our President’s commitment to immigration reform:

“Yes! Everything else is a distraction from getting all of the nation’s “other” business accomplished. On to the next thing, whenever you can, President Obama!”

That’s what I find so infuriating.

MSM and cable news feel justified in covering this nonstop.

Yet they don’t mention that these GOP jerks work for the American people who are paying them to shutdown the Govt.

And does the MSM mention that Ted Cruz filibustered to shutdown the govt yet over the weekend was a rabble-rouser at an event to protest the #GOPshutdown.

Would it kill the MSM to mention what is NOT getting done by a Congress that works less than 1/3 of the year?

• October 15, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Hi Arapaho,

You had posted a comment two threads back. I posted a response in the previous thread. Hope you saw it.

#FiredUP …. #ReadyToROLL

• October 15, 2013 at 10:04 pm

I did, yes. Cannot believe the number of threads today, lots of catching up to do.

I think Heritage has seriously overplayed their hand.

Establishment GOP e.g., not freshmen Congresscritter or Senator must surely be dismayed at what is going on.

The blatant GOP power grab, expedited by a compliant SCOTUS and MSM has made the GOP not worry about “minor” ethical violations.

See below re: R-money.

October 15, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Yes, it’s all way so infuriating! Grrrrrrr.

October 15, 2013 at 9:43 pm

What can be done about the abysmal and extremely dangerous ignorance of Americans about what the figures they cite actually mean. For this, Professor Baker has a brilliant and simple answer. The New York Times (and the Washington Post, as the other leading national newspaper) can solve the problem in a matter of weeks.

Baker writes, “There is no excuse for budget reporting that does not actually inform its audience. … There is no reporter at any major news outlet who can’t turn a dollar amount into a percentage of the budget in seconds. … No reporter will say with a straight face that any substantial percentage of their readers has any clue what it means when they write about a $40 billion cut to food stamps over the next decade.”

Baker says: Tell readers every time what it means! Tell them the percentage of the national budget each significant figure actually represents. Do this is as a matter of newspaper policy! If just those two leading newspapers adopted such a policy, other outlets might follow within days. American government and politics would be transformed! The people at last would KNOW!

Whole thing is worth a read.

23. October 15, 2013 at 9:45 pm

“Tell readers every time what it means! Tell them the percentage of the national budget each significant figure actually represents. Do this is as a matter of newspaper policy! If just those two leading newspapers adopted such a policy, other outlets might follow within days. American government and politics would be transformed! The people at last would KNOW!”

Now that would be a Press in the Service of a Democracy, for sure, df!!

October 15, 2013 at 9:50 pm

FOR SURE! Ain’t gonna happen…then we would have an educated populace, and there are those that fight against that EVERY DAY!

24. 86 sherijr
    October 15, 2013 at 9:46 pm

Yes indeed LL THIS:

Barack Obama was the catalyst, the final affront to a sense of privilege slipping away. As I’ve observed him, and written about him, I’ve seen that from the beginning he’s seen the existential problem facing this country. It is one which sees democracy as a problem, because the wrong people are getting a taste of power. A democracy in which a son of a white Kansas mother and a black Kenyan father can ascend to the world’s most powerful office is a democracy which is malfunctioning, according to some. It is a democracy which has to be scaled back, straitened, “reformed” so that such a thing doesn’t keep happening. Obama embodies everything they fight against. He is the new America, which, ironically, they want to abort.

He opened the doors and windows to America’s true possibilities- and there is no going backward. Beautifully written LL.

25. October 15, 2013 at 9:50 pm

• 89 Nena20409
      October 15, 2013 at 10:07 pm

I have been wondering the same thing. I wrote it down up thread.

This tells me that he is enjoying this fiasco immensely.

October 15, 2013 at 11:26 pm

LL, I like this essay. I just read it, and was going down to make my comment only to notice that the village is already on to the next post. One simply cannot take a leisurely stroll through this village because one feels like it, without being left waaaay behind. Anyways, you did a good job reminding us that this crisis is deliberate and that Boehner lacks stuffing. TY

26. 91 forus50
    October 15, 2013 at 9:51 pm

27. October 15, 2013 at 9:52 pm

@HouseFloor
    7:35:44pm – The House adjourned. Next meeting: 10:00 am on Oct 16, 2013. bit.ly/HFloor

28. October 15, 2013 at 9:54 pm

• October 15, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Chips, you are en fuego tonight.

• 95 99ts
      October 15, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Thank you Chips – the media need to hear that over and over.

I have been studying faces – Boy wonder and boy wonder II (Hayes and BFF Ezra) do not show strength, nor life experience. They have been given it all. Those who have fought their way in life understand the struggle that people face, understand what the shutdown is doing – Hayes has NO idea. They look, and act like 6th graders (well in English terms, the Upper 6th”) in an Enid Blyton story for teenagers.

• 96 nathkatun7
      October 16, 2013 at 1:02 am

Thank you Chips for this no nonsense tweet! The “purity progressives,” who like Tea baggers have been undermining President Obama since 2009, need to be exposed.

29. 97 Ladyhawke
    October 15, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Boehner pulls shutdown bill in major defeat

By Benjy Sarlin

————————————————-

The House is now officially ungovernable.

In an embarrassing defeat, Speaker John Boehner scrapped a bill Tuesday night that would raise the debt ceiling, end the shutdown, and secure minor changes to the Affordable Care Act. The proposal was a last-ditch plan by Boehner to exit the current standoff with some shred of dignity before Senate leaders reached a bipartisan deal with even more modest Obamacare tweaks. But House conservatives, backed by the influential Heritage Foundation, rebelled and refused to support the measure, decrying it as too weak on the president’s health care law.
    As it stands, a shutdown strategy that was designed to unite Boehner’s warring Republican factions and break the back of President Obama’s health care law looks likely to end with Obamacare intact and Boehner’s caucus more bitterly divided than ever.

Without the backing of a majority of House members, Boehner will likely need help from Nancy Pelosi to pass the final bill that averts the looming crisis.

————————————————–

30. October 15, 2013 at 9:57 pm

Clark won the primary, the election will be Dec. 10th

Clark Wins Democratic Nod in Massachusetts Special Election

State Sen. Katherine Clark won a crowded special primary in Massachusetts’ 5th District on Tuesday night, defeating four other Democrats and most likely becoming the sixth woman ever elected to Congress from the Bay State…..

….Clark was one of five Democrats running in this contest to replace Sen. Edward J. Markey, the district’s longtime representative before he was elected to the Senate in a June special election. ….

Clark is nearly assured to be the next member of Congress in this heavily Democratic district located in the Boston suburbs. President Barack Obama carried the district with 65 percent in 2012…..

October 15, 2013 at 9:57 pm

The U.S. government is far from going broke. The federal budget deficit, measured as a share of the economy, has been slashed by more than half. It was 10.1 percent of gross domestic product in fiscal 2009, which began almost four months before Obama was inaugurated. This year, it is estimated at 4.4 percent. And the budget deficit is officially projected to fall to just 2.2 percent in 2017, when Obama will leave office.

The rapidly shrinking deficit contradicts tea party claims that the country is going broke. But even if deficits were growing, such claims are also contradicted by the Constitution: It is axiomatic that no sovereign nation with monopoly control of its currency can go broke in its own currency. The Constitution makes the U.S. just such a sovereign nation.

snip/

Here is what political gamesmanship that erodes trust in the dollar and U.S. commitment to meet its debt obligations may lead to in the long term: the dollar’s being matched or even replaced as a reserve currency trusted everywhere.

Given Beijing’s ambitions to become the dominant global economic player, the Republicans run the risk that years from now, their party will be viewed as the best friends the Chinese communist rulers ever had, especially if tea party antics result in the yuan supplanting the dollar as the one currency everyone can trust.

32. 102 99ts
    October 15, 2013 at 10:00 pm

In fact, this [failure of the house bill] is the least stunning event ever. The bill would have raised the debt ceiling. It would have changed Obamacare, Republicans’ white whale, in only the most trivial ways. The powerful conservative pressure group Heritage Action opposed it. Of course Speaker John Boehner couldn’t get the votes.

The only stunning thing is that anyone still looks at House Republicans and says: “You know what would be great? Giving these people more power over public policy.”

Roughly one-third of this caucus thinks hitting the debt ceiling and shutting down the government are great strategies to try to stop Obamacare. The other two-thirds of the party has realized all along that this strategy sucks, but they could not find any way to stop their party from implementing it — even though these “reasonable” Republicans outnumber the crazies.

33. October 15, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Senator Schumer is on the Senate Floor … CSPAN ….

34. October 15, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Accidentally posted on the previous thread, in response to Dudette’s post about Cantor’s corrupt investments.

“I am so sick of the plutocrats and SCOTUS torturing this country’s citizens with the willing assist by the MSM and GOP.

Chasing after the almighty dollar.

Just what R-money needs. More money at the expense of his duped supporters. (Scroll down to the bottom of the attached file.)”

35. October 15, 2013 at 10:09 pm

He shoots down yet another House partial bill.

Senate is to resume session at Noon ET, tomorrow.

Senate stands adjourned.

October 15, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Republicans May Be Ready To Take Senate Deal: ‘It’s All Over’

Source: Huffington Post

After House Republicans withdrew their proposed debt deal on Tuesday evening, Senate Leaders Harry Reid (D-Nev.) and Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said they were ready to reopen negotiations to end the shutdown and avert a default.

Now, House Republican lawmakers and aides are saying they’re ready to throw in the towel and accept a Senate deal:

Read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/15/republicans-senate-deal_n_4103370.html

WHAT? I didn’t click on the HP article…seriously. WTF.

37. 108 globalcitizenlinda
    October 15, 2013 at 10:12 pm

wow! what a day!

October 15, 2013 at 10:13 pm

39. October 15, 2013 at 10:15 pm

I send this type of thing to my GOPer rep, senator, groups House GOP is @gopconference Senate GOP is @Senate_GOPs

40. October 15, 2013 at 10:16 pm

bravo bravo bravo for this piece

and a hearty AMEN

41. 115 globalcitizenlinda
    October 15, 2013 at 10:19 pm

since the events of the GOPshutdown started, some of us have insisted that the weeper of the house is part of the conspirators;

he is not just weak, he is in fact one of the plotters – evil to the core

• 118 COS
      October 15, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Another fantastic piece LL. A little OT – Nate Silver left the New York Times some time ago. Where did he go? Is he still in the polling business?

• 119 Nena20409
        October 15, 2013 at 10:28 pm

ESPN…..followed Keith Olbermann. I am sure that come 2014 and 2016….he would do his stuff again. @Sam WongPhd from Princeton is a better political Poll wizard.

42. 120 99ts
    October 15, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Grandbaby here – importand discussions to replace the stupid – nite all

43. 123 Nena20409
    October 15, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Over the weekend, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX), the architect of the Republican effort to shut down the federal government, spoke at a Washington, D.C. rally, hosted by activists who were angry that the nation’s memorials had been closed as part of the government shutdown. Sarah Palin also addressed the crowd.

Soon after Cruz spoke, and after Palin handed out small American flags, organizers turned to Freedom Watch founder Larry Klayman. Best known in recent years for his evangelical pursuit of birtherism and all half-baked conspiracies related to the debunked claim that Barak Obama wasn’t born in America and that he’s an undercover Muslim, Klayman told cheering activists in Washington that the president “bows down to Allah.” He announced that Obama’s “not the president of ‘we the people, he’s a president of his people,” and that Obama needed to “put the Quran down.”

44. October 15, 2013 at 10:29 pm

I’ve read so much I don’t remember where I read this, but I remember Boehner saying Oct 15 would be a signifcant day. He’s done everything he can with House, the Senate is in charge now and a sane Senate bill can be passed with Democratic votes. And Senate GOPers know they will have to make it clean enough so that Dems will accept it.

John Boehner’s Bad Night Clears a Path for a Deal

In another era, for a different leader, it would have been a stunning rebuke. For John Boehner, it was just another embarrassing stumble in a speakership studded with them….

….These sorts of failures have become so common that Washington leaders have baked time to accommodate them into the legislative calendar. With just three days left until Congress breached the Oct. 17 deadline, party leaders shrugged and squandered a crucial day so that Boehner could take one last shot at appeasing the House hard-line faction. ”I think he had to give his folks one last chance to resist. That’s unfortunate because the time is ticking,” Pelosi said. “Once they’ve had that opportunity, then sanity will prevail.”

The markets, which twitched in doubt at every sign of a stalemate in 2011, haven’t batted an eye this time. The path forward, which looked murky for a moment on Tuesday afternoon, now looks clear: the Senate will cut a bipartisan deal, and Boehner will be forced to pass it with Democratic votes. He has said repeatedly that the U.S. will not and cannot default…..

October 15, 2013 at 10:36 pm

46. 127 MightyPamela
    October 15, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Goodnight, everyone. Sweet dreams. Goodnight.

October 15, 2013 at 10:41 pm

ICYMI:

“America the Half Beautiful” by Eric Idle, English comedian, Monty Python

48. 129 Lana
    October 15, 2013 at 11:35 pm

LL, you said it right with this one. Bravo! Every word perfect!

@POTUS