Oct

Lou Reed, 1942-2013

I’ve spoken about my musical upbringing before, to explain why I’ve posted everything from the hardcore techno rap of Afrika Bambaataa to the mellow rock of America to thorny modern classical music. Growing up in Washington Heights in Manhattan in the 1970s and 1980s exposed you to all sorts of music. I had influences from friends and family and my own curiosity.

One of the first albums I bought when I started buying albums (back when they were still vinyl) was Lou Reed’s “Berlin”. I bring this up because MTV’s Palladia concert channel just rebroadcast a performance Reed gave in Brooklyn a couple of years ago in which he turned “Berlin” into a conceptual performance. Watching the music meld with the images crafted for the show called to mind yet again what a true maverick Mr. Reed was. The pop music of the past 40 years would have been very different without his influence and that of the Velvet Underground.

As a writer, I’m a firm believer that a death isn’t to be mourned, but a life is to be celebrated. So join me in celebrating the life of Lewis Allan Reed, as he plays his great gig in the sky.

Sweet Jane

Dirty Boulevard

A Walk On The Wild Side

Perfect Day

Foot Of Pride

How Do You Think it Feels

Chat away, and RIP Lou Reed.

106 Responses to “Lou Reed, 1942-2013”

1. October 27, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Great tribute to Lou Reed, and excellent words of wisdom LL, thanks very much! Congrats on first Allison… hope we can expect new photos of Danny soon, Ms Chips!

2. 7 andogriff
    October 27, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Nice tribute to Lou Reed, LL… thanks for the post! Congrats Allison.

3. 35 Allison
    October 27, 2013 at 8:45 pm

4. October 27, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Beautiful tribute LL, thank you.

October 27, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Getting close:

21,992,629

October 27, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Great job, LL…RIP Lou Reed. Such an icon. I need the heathcare phone number to call to sign up…emailing my aunt that sent out the damn pack of lies and I need to send it to her…I’ll tell you what she said after I finish this email…patiently waiting for the # 1-800- 318-????

• 42 globalcitizenlinda
      October 27, 2013 at 9:05 pm

1 800 318 2596

I have this in my contacts to use at all times

October 27, 2013 at 9:11 pm

And in case your aunt is hearing impaired 😉

TTY: 1-855-889-4325

October 27, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Bless your sweet hearts, gcl and vc:) I looked it up…but thank you both so much. For those that don’t know this story…the other day she sent me an email with a pack of lies about ACA….seriously crazy shit, like the govt was going to take money out of your checking acct, just some BS that was debunked…the stuff in the email was debunked 100 ways to Friday…and yet, there it was in my Inbox with my aunt freaking out and telling everyone THEY MUST READ THIS AND SEND IT ALONG!! I lost it. I saw flames come out my eyes and sent her a SCATHING EMAIL back….come to find out…I had about 4 emails from her tonight. The first one said that oh well,,,she already sent it out!!!! I said, then send the CORRECT INFO TO EVERYONE SHE SENT THE LIES TO! Then she sent another one that said that she listens to Rush, just like my uncle did and Rush said this….it MUST be true! Holy Hell!!! THAT sent me into ANOTHER rant!

Then, she evidently looked at the info I sent her and the links to the LIES she sent me…I sent her the debunked link on Snopes…the entire letter was copied and pasted from that…even though they said it was FALSE. So she sent me an email that said the stuff she sent to me was WRONG and that she got it from someone that she trusted and thought was reliable. I told her that it’s HER responsibility to make sure that freaking chain letters with shit are true BEFORE she send the damn thing to her entire email list!!!! I reminded her that this law was a GOOD thing…my uncle got a heart transplant when he was younger…he lived for many years after that. I asked her to think how different her life would have been had they not had health insurance…..and that everyone deserves the peace of mind that insurance gives to families and individuals…. Yikes. She said it’s so confusing…I said no it’s not…that’s why I asked for the phone #…already hooked her up with Healthcare.gov site….. good grief. I’m freaking exhausted.

October 27, 2013 at 10:21 pm

{{{Desertf}}} All in a good cause, Df – we hope!

October 27, 2013 at 10:24 pm

I swear to God….I feel my BP rise over junk like this! I hope she learned her lesson about “friends” she trusts…and emails she sends out again without checking! For crying out loud….I hate stupid!!!

• 48 globalcitizenlinda
      October 27, 2013 at 9:15 pm

or if she is a business owner

1 800 706 7893

7. 49 mophene
    October 27, 2013 at 9:00 pm

I was listening to Reed’s “Transformer” album just the other night. His “Vicious” track fits the GOP to a T. Gonna miss old Lou though, his biting wit, and razor sharp delivery were unmatched.

8. 55 yardarm756
    October 27, 2013 at 9:09 pm

My parting shot for the night.

9. 65 globalcitizenlinda
    October 27, 2013 at 9:11 pm

10. 66 globalcitizenlinda
    October 27, 2013 at 9:19 pm

suspect Shaq’s endorsement of pompous christie will not lead to a huge number of voters next month but he needs to have a record of his sheer stupidity

11. 76 MightyPamela
    October 27, 2013 at 9:23 pm

Hola! Thank you Lou Reed, your gift has shaped millions of lives in the best possible way! Enjoy playing your music with the angels! Yo y’all!

12. 77 globalcitizenlinda
    October 27, 2013 at 9:34 pm

October 27, 2013 at 9:37 pm

14. 79 yardarm756
    October 27, 2013 at 9:49 pm

A personal observation.

October 27, 2013 at 9:52 pm

This is how I sometimes feel when I see all those retweeting your retweet thingies, too – Ha!

16. 81 globalcitizenlinda
    October 27, 2013 at 9:57 pm

17. October 27, 2013 at 10:10 pm

“The media and GOP keep trying to make this an argument over liberalism; i.e., if the website fails, it means government is worthless. Of course, that is a silly move of the goal posts. If people get health insurance that keeps them healthy or gives them access to life-saving medical help, they will surely think government was helpful. Sorry, but they’re not going to be sitting around bemoaning the website delays.

The reason we are having this discussion is because Republicans are terrified that you will figure out that government actually did something good, and then you will wonder why they shut it down and fear-mongered about ObamaCare for the last four years. You might ask for your 24 billion back. You might not be so prone to believe their boogeyman stories about Big Government.

You might figure out that the Republican Party is broken and they know it. But unlike the ObamaCare website, the Republican Party won’t be fixed any time soon.”

#TrustBarack …. and, most importantly, dedicate yourself to #LandSlideDEMS2014

Yes WE Can

18. 84 globalcitizenlinda
    October 27, 2013 at 10:14 pm

two more things on Shaq’s stupidity in endorsing pompous christie

– it reminds me of that iconic photo of The King of Pop (Michael Jackson) photographed at the White House with Government-Hating, Southern-Strategy-Promoting, Working/Poor-people-Bashing, Union-Busting, Trickledown-Promoting Regan (to mention but a few);

– I guess Shaq needs a refresher course of what FLOTUS said – about getting through the door and not shutting it behind you … but rather reach down and pull someone through;

many things happen in a politician’s life and you have to really know her/him to lend your celebrity to her/him

19. October 27, 2013 at 10:18 pm

Ok, remind me not to post dates when I have a sinus infection. Jesus. This is why I haven’t written anything all week, even though I have at least 3 essays running around in my head.

October 27, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Syria has handed in a plan for the destruction of its chemical weapons to the watchdog monitoring the process.

In a statement, the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical weapons (OPCW) said the declaration was submitted three days ahead of schedule.

OPCW inspectors are also due to complete visiting the last four of 23 weapons sites declared by Syria.

The OPCW’s mission was set up following outrage at a chemical weapons attack near the Syrian capital in August.

Sixty inspectors have been in Syria since 1 October. The OPCW, which is based in The Hague, said on Friday that its team in Syria had visited 19 of the 23 sites disclosed by Syria.

Under the UN resolution which set up the mission, Syria’s chemical weapons production equipment must be destroyed by 1 November and stockpiles must be disposed of by mid-2014.

Thank you, President Obama and SOS Kerry.

21. October 27, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Just had dinner with the family. I have to say, I’m quite fortunate. We’ve never dabbled in dysfunction. Sure, my mom can annoy the piss out of me, and of course I like to point out that I’m the only one of the siblings with a master’s degree. But when the chips are down, we’re there for each other. And not out of some lugubrious familial obligation, but because we actually care for each other.

(Now if someone can explain to me why my niece is living across the border from Juarez, that would be nice.)

October 27, 2013 at 10:29 pm

🙂 That’s nice…family is everything….which is why I gave a tongue lashing to my aunt and then told her I loved her:) We make allowances for family! The niece across the border from Juarez needs a talking to! Bring her to LA…she won’t leave:)

• October 27, 2013 at 10:31 pm

Sighs. She *hates* L.A. She grew up here, and couldn’t wait to get out. Went to SF for school. Is doing NOTHING with her degree. Then lived in New Orleans for a spell. Didn’t like it there. And fell in love with Las Cruces. Like I told my brothers tonight, she’s rebelling in spades for the rest of us.

• 90 globalcitizenlinda
      October 27, 2013 at 10:31 pm

just a few days ago, I heard a report about that region. It is a challenging area. Family must be constantly worrying about her. Prayers

October 27, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Looks like nsa didn’t inform Obama about merkel phone tapping.

• October 27, 2013 at 10:28 pm

I think the leak about Merkel is what will get things changed in our intelligence community. I’m sure PBO is beyond pissed that he wasn’t informed about this.

But at the same time, there’s a reason why the Secret Service sweeps for bugs wherever the president stays: everyone spies on everyone else.

October 27, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Serena retains WTA Championship.

24. 99 lockewasright
    October 27, 2013 at 10:32 pm

I almost never drink anymore. Tonight I used the fancy Kermit the Frog mug and put Bailey’s in my hot chocolate, cinnamon and cool whip too. Lou Reed was really good.

October 27, 2013 at 10:38 pm

I had someone in the neighborhood last night burning in their firepit…..I thought a house was on fire:) It’s that time of year again!! I prefer my Bailey’s with coffee….yummy!

25. 101 anniebella
    October 27, 2013 at 10:33 pm

I have decided not to listen to any of the media talking about healthcare . gov. website anymore, because they all are bias toward it, and all they want to do is push an negative agenda. If the Obama administration has something to say I will listen, but the media no more.

October 27, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Just setting that FOOL straight…

• 104 nathkatun7
      October 28, 2013 at 2:29 am

Bravo, hopefruit! This fool should also be reminded that IRS is not a real scandal! Rather, it’s a GOP/Media manufactured scandal. IRS personnel were simply doing their job by ensuring compliance with the law. The fact that this idiot Kaczynski still thinks that this was a scandal disqualifies him as a journalist. As for the ObamaCare website, exactly what could they have told the President in advance before people tried to access it?

In my humble opinion, one of the greatest threat facing our Democracy is the total idiocy of most of the people in the media. Instead of trying to inform the people, they (the media) are more interested in spreading sensationalism to scare them. Instead of focusing on real problems, the media would rather focus on manufactured controversies or hyping minor issues that have nothing to do with policy.

27. 105 globalcitizenlinda
    October 27, 2013 at 10:46 pm

28. 106 nathkatun7
    October 28, 2013 at 2:34 am

Thank you LL for a beautiful tribute to a great human being and a creative artists!

@POTUS