Nov

The President’s Day

d1760c40815f302c650f6a706700056e

President Barack Obama waves as he boards Air Force One at Beijing Capital International Airport in Beijing, China on his way to Myanmar

ee6e73aa814d302c650f6a706700d84e

President Barack Obama and Secretary of State John Kerry, right, shakes hands outside the Great Hall of the People in Beijing

c41c7a278150302c650f6a706700c132

19f2c6138279362c650f6a706700f10b

President Barack Obama waves from Air Force One upon his arrival at Naypyitaw International Airport in Naypyitaw, Myanmar

8654488b108c473c98f68143aaef49e2-47382e948b8b4ab7a91c310979585345-1

President Barack Obama is greeted upon his arrival on Air Force One at Naypyitaw International Airport

2014-11-12T153630Z_831293853_GM1EABC1TIU01_RTRMADP_3_MYANMAR-ASEAN

China’s Premier Li Keqiang, Myanmar’s President Thein Sein, U.S. President Barack Obama, Malaysia’s Prime Minister Najib Razak and Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev hold hands as they pose at the 25th Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) summit in Naypyitaw

2014-11-12T155142Z_425516085_GM1EABC1U8501_RTRMADP_3_MYANMAR-ASEAN

eff7154882cd372c650f6a7067006dc8

a5dd856182d5372c650f6a706700b1d9

2014-11-12T154410Z_90023379_GM1EABC1TVK01_RTRMADP_3_MYANMAR-ASEAN

2014-11-12T155730Z_1_LYNXNPEAAB0XN_RTROPTP_2_MYANMAR-ASEAN

237e3ab182ff382c650f6a706700b56f

President Barack Obama and Myanmar President Thein Sein and his wife

148 Responses to “The President’s Day”

1. 5 Anna

November 12, 2014 at 6:35 pm

Hi!

6. November 12, 2014 at 6:37 pm

Thank yoooooOOOooOOOoooOOoooooooooou Nerdy!!!!!

7. 14 Judith Fardig
    November 12, 2014 at 6:39 pm

Savoring all the good news from TOD r.e. team Obama! Yay for Vicki on snagging first.

8. 16 idon
    November 12, 2014 at 6:42 pm

Thank you so much for posting pics and info about my great President sans the spin. I love you so much for doing this. Thank you

9. 18 a4alice
    November 12, 2014 at 6:44 pm

nice collection of pics NW! Thanks! 🙂

10. 20 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    November 12, 2014 at 6:52 pm

Good evening,TOD! Daily, I thank God for giving us the wisdom to elect and re-elect President Obama! I also thank God for this wonderful oasis.

11. November 12, 2014 at 6:55 pm

Congrats Vicki 🙂

SPECTACULAR, NW!! Thank you 🙂

12. 24 a4alice
    November 12, 2014 at 6:56 pm

usually Dudette snags these great photos but here – isn’t this beautiful?

13. 29 susanne
    November 12, 2014 at 6:58 pm

bringing this over from the end of the last thread. very clear and succinct analysis, for the time challenged 🙂

a nice short piece from bloomberg news, getting to the heart of the awesome accord the president signed with china:

‘ Will any of this sway Republicans? It seems unlikely. But by linking the EPA rules to Chinese action, President Barack Obama has taken the most compelling case against those rules and co-opted it overnight. For a lame-duck president, that’s a pretty neat trick. ‘

14. 31 mtmarilyn
    November 12, 2014 at 6:58 pm

I sure hope in the next 2 years he takes lots of trips abroad. I can handle all these beautiful pictures. He is the world’s ambassador.

15. 33 Vicki
    November 12, 2014 at 7:00 pm

I doubt that anyone at TOD is surprised that the GOP is trying to make the story of the accord with China about themselves.

• 34 Vicki
      November 12, 2014 at 7:02 pm

By “themselves” I mean their opinions. Not their positive achievements of which there are zero.
      GOP/Media unbearable before mid-terms. I doubt they can be much worse.

16. November 12, 2014 at 7:06 pm

THANK YOU, NW. Love all the photos and hope PBO is getting some well-deserved rest at some point.

17. 37 MadameSoph
    November 12, 2014 at 7:06 pm

Beeeeeautiful pics Nerdy!

PBO looks so assured, powerful, elegant and FINE in these pics (that shirt!!). In the Myanmar arrival clip, he walks with such a confident stride. I’d love to see the thought bubble over his head 🙂

18. November 12, 2014 at 7:07 pm

WOOOOOT!!

19. November 12, 2014 at 7:18 pm

RIP John Doar. A human in the best sense of the word.

• November 12, 2014 at 7:47 pm

Bob….

as it relates to Gov Nixon in Ferguson…does the justice department have rank ….can they call off what Nixon is planning to do. Gov Nixon’s plan reminds me of offensive that Bull Connor waged against the protestors of the civil rights movement

• November 12, 2014 at 7:52 pm

Don’t know pf58. What I do know is that AG Holder and PBO will do whatever it takes to protect people’s civil rights.

• 47 FoxfireTX
        November 12, 2014 at 8:11 pm

No, unfortunately. The whole “states’ rights” clause includes the right to enforce law and order. There are a bunch of lawsuits that have been filed against the city and I believe the state, but they will slowly wind their way through the system. And I agree with your assessment prettyfoot, this is a disaster waiting to happen. I only hope no one ends up dead.

• November 12, 2014 at 7:50 pm

just saw this…

November 12, 2014 at 7:25 pm

Ms NerdyW, thank you for your pictoral résumé of the President’s day – much appreciated!

21. November 12, 2014 at 7:32 pm

NW, fab posts, thank you tons! Chips, oh wondrous one, thank you! Still playing catch-up, & loving all.

22. November 12, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Anyone seeing anything to verify this?

23. November 12, 2014 at 7:42 pm

Fabulousssssssssss Coverage of our President on the world scene….NO ONE…No one covers the President’s trips abroad like TOD…and it is sad to say that if it were not for TOD I would not know much PBO about his mission abroad…hell ..i might not even know he was out of the country…..so lil of it comes across on regular TV….

• 59 SUE DUVALL SMITH
      November 12, 2014 at 8:05 pm

THANK YOU INDEED CHIPS…..YES THE FOOLS HAVE TOSSED OUR PBO OVERBOARD..FOR THE GOP…AKA…GREED OVER PEOPLE ACTION! POOR TASTE IN THIS COUNTRY INDEED…VOTING AGAINST THEMSELVES…..IT’S GOING TO BE SO EXCITING…WATCHING OUR ENERGIZER BUNNY PRESIDENT PULVERIZE THE POOP OUT OF THE PUNDITS. THE BEST PART WILL BE PBO TURNING THE TURTLE’S SHELL INSIDE OUT AND RUSTY’S BARSTOOL UPSIDE DOWN! SUCH GREAT EXAMPLES THESE REPUBLICANS ARE…SILK TIES PAID FOR BY THE TAXPAYERS AND SLEAZE IN SHOES. I DO HAVE A COMFORTING WORD…THANK GOODNESS OUR PBO DIDN’T HAVE TO WEAR A TIE FOR MOST OF THIS ASIAN TRIP!

• 60 theo67
      November 12, 2014 at 9:07 pm

This is so true, prettyfoot – if not for TOD, I wouldn’t know the President had left the country! Thanks so much for providing this refuge and information source, TOD – so very much appreciated!

November 12, 2014 at 7:52 pm

Just reading and enjoying all the good things that have happened lately…personally, I love when he’s out of the country and on the world stage…I love it more when he’s gone because the rest of the world admires him and respects him so much more than these SOB’s here do. Even if they don’t agree with everything he says or wants…they respect his intellect and his authority as the President of the United States and the leader of the free world. They can’t afford to be stupid asses on front of this man and they have big issues to discuss and try to fix…unlike all the shit for brains here that just want power/money/more power and more money….and they don’t want to have to actually do WORK or anything!

I love this…he seems to get so much more done when he’s gone and not encumbered by petty people here. Love my President. Hardest working man on the planet.

• 62 HZ
      November 12, 2014 at 11:27 pm

Desertflower, and I love you for your wonderful comment. You said everything I was thinking. I did say a few other words that I shall not reveal here with my wonderful TOD family. I want to stay in my family. Plus, I am sure there would be some falling out of your chairs if you were in my home tonight and heard a few more words added to DF’s thoughts. I calmed down because loving brother will be checking in tonight and my doctor’s appointment is tomorrow morning. Keeping it chill tonight. Brother and doctor can read me like a great book.}}{{{{{{{{{{{ Love you, my DF}}}}}}}}}}HZ.|

25. November 12, 2014 at 7:52 pm

—————————————-

So when they whine that the potential for bipartisan comity will be squandered if Obama takes some executive action on immigration (“You don’t make a deal with someone by continuously poking your finger in their eye,” says Lamar Alexander in today’s New York Times), recognize it for what it is: a preemptive excuse, trying to shift blame to Obama for what Republicans were going to do all along, which is nothing. Their tender feelings are so terribly fragile, but if Obama is solicitous enough, they’ll be there for him! Baloney. They don’t want to make deals, their constituents don’t want them to make deals, and they aren’t going to be making any deals.

—————————————–

26. November 12, 2014 at 8:06 pm

“[We] must finally understand that the “peaceful agreements” are the cover that allow the Russian-terrorist forces to spread more across the [Donbas] region, using the passivity of the ATO forces. If someone wants to play “in the peace”–no problem, [they] can conduct negotiations on a daily basis. But in practice, this should not prevent Ukrainian troops from acting appropriately and symmetrically to enemy actions.”

• 74 SUE DUVALL SMITH
      November 12, 2014 at 8:34 pm

I THINK VLAD HAS SPENT LOTS OF TIME IN SEVERAL COUNTRIES MAKING FUEL DEALS…A LITTLE WARMTH AND HEAT BLACKMAIL IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN. HE’S FORMING HIS OWN COALITION!

27. November 12, 2014 at 8:09 pm

28. 76 goldendreamer
    November 12, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Hey TOD fam, long lurk no post!

There’s something that’s been on my mind lately, and I want your input. We’ve seen how this year’s elections went, with Dems running away from the President and his policies. For the 2016 elections, we’ve been wanting Martin O’Malley, Elizabeth Warren, Deval Patrick, anyone who truly stands with him as candidates. With that said, am I the only one who’d love to see Nancy Pelosi run for the highest office as well? I mean she’s really one of the few to be included in having the President’s back, and she’s not spineless. (And she’s from Cali, WOOT!)

November 12, 2014 at 8:28 pm

Truthfully, that never crossed my mind before. I would LOVE to see Nancy Pelosi run. Not sure if she has the aspirations, but she certainly has had the President’s back since day ONE.

• 78 carolyn
        November 12, 2014 at 8:40 pm

I love Nancy, but my friends, she is my age…..and that is too old. She is sharp, in excellent health, but we need someone who looks young, vibrant, go-get’m and up to date. Whether we like it or not, past 70, the energy does begin to diminish……sad, but true. I am unusually vigorous and healthy, but I look at what I do, and how efficiently I can do it, and used to be able to do, and there is a drop off.

• 79 MadameSoph
        November 12, 2014 at 8:42 pm

She’s become a sort of Right Wing brand of fear meme, though, being from San Francisco, blah blah blah. They would throw all that at her, but they would do that to any Dem candidate. I love Nancy. Her Congress was one of the most productive; her leadership helped to get me affordable health care!

I know we will probably have to wait a few cycles for another President of color, but I would also love to see Susan Rice as Commander in Chief! Of course, “Bengazi!” but hopefully that meme will be even more worn out than it already is by the time she’d be running.

• 80 nospin
      November 12, 2014 at 8:46 pm

Nancy Pelosi would be a great candidate but she does not have a high tolerance for Bullsh*t. Not sure she would consider it. 😀 If she decided to run and Ride or Die Joe Biden was not on the ballot…I would certainly lean towards voting for her.

November 12, 2014 at 9:16 pm

I’m Ridin’ with Biden, myself, until he says he’s not running! He deserves that from my point of view.

• 82 HZ
          November 12, 2014 at 11:41 pm

I hear you, jacquelineoboomer. I also want to say that I am hoping for the best for your family member today. Love you, J’OB.
          May your space be full of hope and peacefulness .HZ

November 12, 2014 at 11:49 pm

That meant a lot to me, HZ. Been an exhausting day, but we got through it.

I’m still full of hope … and the peacefulness will come with the sleep!

Hope you sleep well, too, when you get there, dear HZ!

29. 84 arapaho415
    November 12, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Gorgeous lobby of hotel in Burma:

30. 85 FoxfireTX
    November 12, 2014 at 8:15 pm

This is one of the better analyses I’ve seen of the problem facing the Dem party. While raising the minimum wage helps those at the very bottom end of the working spectrum, it doesn’t do much for those in the middle. The only other suggestion I’ve read is more tax cuts for the middle class versus those at the top. Again, this puts more money in folks’ pockets, but doesn’t address the problem of stagnant wages/salaries.

• 86 SUE DUVALL SMITH
      November 12, 2014 at 8:29 pm

I READ THAT…THE DEMOCRAT’S REAL PROBLEM IS THAT THEY HAVE BEEN LISTENING TO THE REPUGANTS AND FEAR HAS TAKEN OVER…THEY ARE STARTING TO THINK THAT PBO IS A RABBIT’S FOOT WITH A RASH!…WE HAVE A WEAK AND DYSFUNCTIONAL SOCIETY AND THEIR VALUES ARE NOT WHERE THEY SHOULD BE….IT’S THE EVERY MAN FOR HIMSELF ATTITUDE IF YOU GET MY DRIFT. I PRAY FOR MY PRESIDENT AND MY HEART HURTS FOR HIM.

31. 87 arapaho415
    November 12, 2014 at 8:16 pm

Course, if you go there, be sure to ask for the Presidential Suite, LOL:

32. 93 arapaho415
    November 12, 2014 at 8:28 pm

If anyone doubts the power of your vote, take a look at a CA assembly district 39 (a week after the election):

ObamaGrandma:
    This race is between two Dems — I think CA’s experiment in having the top two finishers in a primary serves to dilute Dem vote. The person leading by 7 votes is the challenger, for a state assembly seat representing portions of the San Fernando Valley.

And it looks like two current Dem Reps will return to US Congress.

My CD:

And further north:

• 94 Obama Grandmama
      November 12, 2014 at 11:32 pm

Thanks for this info. I am still glad the top two measure went down in OR. Less Dems bother to vote in the Primaries therefore more likely to end up favoring GOP in my mind. It seems like another GOP/Corporate voter suppression scheme to me. Guess I am just suspicious.

• 95 arapaho415
        November 12, 2014 at 11:42 pm

I agree it’s weird.

The Sherman/Berman contest two years ago got national press for a seat representing most of the San Fernando Valley (both were incumbents at the time but battled each other because of redistricting that took place after 2010 census).

When Dems are pitted against another Dem, it’s like two primaries happening in the same year, and confuses people who know they want to vote Dem but aren’t sure which Dem is right for them.

Wish we could go back, but I doubt enough people care (23% turnout last Tuesday in LA County) for such a proposal to make it to the ballot.

33. November 12, 2014 at 8:28 pm

#BackBarack

• November 12, 2014 at 8:30 pm

Awaiting moderation to reveal my scolding of Mary Landrieu … 🙂

• 98 theo67
      November 12, 2014 at 9:13 pm

Ha! Good for you – what will these Republicans do if they ever catch that parked car called the Keystone Pipeline, and the truth about the minimal job creation and environmental risk ever comes to light? And I wonder if any of the supporters who voted for them who live in the region wonder how quick their GOP representative would be apologizing to the oil companies if a leak ever occurred in their back yards?

• November 12, 2014 at 9:44 pm

This woman has lost her mind. This is so patently self-serving and ridiculous.

I haven’t seen that the State Department’s review is even complete so I don’t know what she’s dreaming about. This is a political ploy because she thinks it will get her re-elected. Except John Cornyn moved to replace her bill with the one written by her opponent in the race. This is the worst Clown Show imaginable! There is so much pressing business in both the House & the Senate and yet these buffoons are wasting time on this charade. UGH!

34. November 12, 2014 at 8:30 pm

35. November 12, 2014 at 8:32 pm

• 104 SUE DUVALL SMITH
      November 12, 2014 at 8:38 pm

ALL CONGRESS WANTS TO DO OTHER THAN GUZZLE AND STIR THE CUBES WITH THEIR THIEVING CRONIES IS SHOW PBO THE DOOR. WELL…THERE S NO ‘LAME DUCK’…THEM THERE THUGS ARE PLAYING WITH THE WRONG COWBOY…SO LISTEN MISTER!!!!!…THEY ARE IN FOR A SURPRISE WHEN THEIR SHORTS QUAKE!…GOT IT!

• 106 COS
      November 12, 2014 at 8:43 pm

Why should they do anything? They keep getting rewarded for doing nothing. They have taken over both houses by doing nothing. It has worked really good for them.

36. 107 PoliticalJunkessa
    November 12, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Ahhhhhhhh…..seeing these lovely pics at the end of the day is like a comforting cup of tea on a chilly night. So proud of all PBO is doing overseas and also of John Kerry who is squarely in his purpose as Secretary of State. I know PBO must appreciate having him as a partner and friend.

Can’t wait to see what’s next. Thanks for all the coverage, Chips & Nerdy! I think I’m gonna go try to find some footage of the comet landing…..

37. November 12, 2014 at 9:03 pm

during the civil rights movement ..it was revealed that many in the police force were KKK members…I wonder how many in the Ferguson PD are members of the KKK…

November 12, 2014 at 9:20 pm

I’m sure any moment now more “decent” white residents of Ferguson and Greater St. Louis will speak up, on behalf of all of their neighbors. Any.Moment.Now.

November 12, 2014 at 9:33 pm

I know some white residents and some from outside Ferguson were there with the protesters, but wouldn’t you think a majority of townspeople would “own” the freakin’ situation that’s been allowed to fester – even if they personally are “only” responsible for looking the other way … for decades, apparently?

• 114 nospin
      November 12, 2014 at 9:30 pm

Prettyfoot, I am not too concerned about this because I know that it would not end well for the KKK. You can take that to the bank.

• 115 theo67
      November 12, 2014 at 9:35 pm

Domestic terrorists.

38. November 12, 2014 at 9:12 pm

“Indeed, if one measures it on a Middle Eastern scale, next to the Islamic State, the regime of Bashar al-Assad in Syria and even the Egyptian administration of Gen. Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, Israel’s democracy is a dazzling beacon. But, when Israel demands that Europeans judge it by Western standards, it must take into account that their values do not include prolonged occupation, the end of which is nowhere in sight. Europe never accepted the claim that Netanyahu made on Nov. 7 to European Union High Commissioner for Foreign Affairs and Security Federica Mogherini that settlements are not an obstacle to peace.

The correct question is not which country is the most wonderful in the Middle East, as Netanyahu asked, but which country that presumes to be a standard bearer of democracy and human rights would take the liberty, in 2014, of confiscating lands from foreigners to settle its citizens on them. What Western state withholds basic rights from millions of people living under its rule? What would the European Union do with a member state that conducts itself toward its Jewish minority the way Israel does toward its Arab minority?”

39. 117 globalcitizenlinda
    November 12, 2014 at 9:21 pm

after the election results, I saw some people clamoring the return of Dean as DNC Chair;

have these people really paid attention to Dean’s current healthcare industry ties and some of his talk on TV?

40. November 12, 2014 at 9:21 pm

Too busy today to look in but I am sure enjoying all the picture. Thank you Nerdy.

41. November 12, 2014 at 9:22 pm

42. November 12, 2014 at 9:31 pm

NerdyWonka, here you go again, bringing the power, beauty, strength, intimacy and connection which are simply President Obama’s presence, wherever he goes, whatever he does. The colors, the smiles, the pageantry and personal depth are so clear thanks to your diligence in curating the moments and milestones of our hero-leaders actions, daily wherever he may be. This means the world to me, and as you can see clearly given the page views of TOD, I am not the only one. Clearly you never sleep, and you are always awake and at the ready to get the story and share it. With a side of jokes to keep us boosted. Thank you thank you thank you.

43. 139 JER
    November 12, 2014 at 9:37 pm

44. November 12, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Only For Pres. Obama Would I watch a president leave or arrive @ an airplane. . .
    Sigh. . .

45. November 12, 2014 at 9:45 pm

Can you now see the like button? 😉

46. 145 JER
    November 12, 2014 at 9:46 pm

47. 146 Dudette
    November 12, 2014 at 9:47 pm

My President is a Hot-Hottie!

There! I just had to het that out! 😅

• 147 HZ
      November 12, 2014 at 11:59 pm

Dudette, I saw that and had to go and drink a glass of water. Have mercy, Mr. President. Please have mercy on us.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ NerdyW., my loving hugs to you for all of the beautiful work that you do for all of us.}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}HZ

@POTUS