Apr

The President in Jamaica: Coming Up

President Obama sings along to Bob Marley music being piped in as he tours the Bob Marley Museum with tour guide Natasha Clark in Kingston, Jamaica, last night (Photo by Pete Souza)

Today (all times US Eastern)

10:45: The President holds a bilateral meeting with Prime Minister Portia Simpson-Miller of Jamaica

1:05: Official family photo with Caribbean Community (CARICOM) leaders, University of the West Indies, Kingston

1:20: The President holds a meeting with CARICOM

3:30: Holds a town hall with young leaders, University of the West Indies

5:15: Participates in a wreath laying ceremony, National Heroes’ Park War Memorial, Kingston

6:0: Departs Jamaica en route Panama City

7:45: Arrives in Panama City

8:25: Meets with Embassy personnel and families, Westin Playa Bonita, Panama City

Live streaming from Jamaica (and maybe CBS)

99 Responses to “The President in Jamaica: Coming Up”

April 9, 2015 at 10:51 am

BAM!

2. April 9, 2015 at 10:52 am

Good morning TOD folks! Big sigh for missing this event.

April 9, 2015 at 10:55 am

April 9, 2015 at 11:07 am

thank you Chips!

April 9, 2015 at 11:14 am

wimminz/smh

• 34 MightyPamela
      April 9, 2015 at 5:04 pm

LOL! Dumbass – no sense hating what you can’t understand. Not very many cats will come when called. Just sayin’. Kitty waz bizy. _^..^_

9. 35 GGail
    April 9, 2015 at 11:15 am

This is why PBO is so endearing to people all over the world. He’s not afraid to show the “every-day man” side of him.

10. 36 JER
    April 9, 2015 at 11:16 am

LIVE NOW: SC Fatal Police Shooting Press Conference – http://www.cbsnews.com/liveFeed/widget.shtml

• 37 GGail
      April 9, 2015 at 11:22 am

Thanks JER. I got it, but it missed it. Darnnit!

• 38 GGail
        April 9, 2015 at 11:23 am

P.S., Good morning JER 🙂

• 39 JER
          April 9, 2015 at 11:25 am

Good Morning GGail.

• 40 0388jojothecat
          April 9, 2015 at 11:31 am

Good morning TOD & GGail. Congrats on being furst df.

I am back from my trip to Laughlin. I even won some money and did’nt lose it all before heading home. Cell service was horrible and lurked some in the morning.

• 41 GGail
            April 9, 2015 at 1:29 pm

Hey jojo, I thought about you this morning and was thinking that I should send you a text message…and viola! here you be! back safe and sound and a little richer….say….what day are we having dinner together??? 😀

Welcome back 🙂

11. April 9, 2015 at 11:17 am

Chips here is the live stream for Young Leaders Town Hall taking place at UWI Mona later on today

12. April 9, 2015 at 12:01 pm

Young Leaders Town Hall with President Obama. Live stream can be seen here: http://tv.mona.uwi.edu/live

13. April 9, 2015 at 12:02 pm

Elizabeth Warren:

“I think there needs to be a vigorous debate in the whole question of running for president,” Warren said on “CBS This Morning.”
    “I think everyone who is running for president should be talking about what they plan to do to strengthen and rebuild America’s middle class,” she added.

Warren argued that Clinton had not yet made her economic policies clear for voters.

“Charlie, I’ll tell you where I stand on all the key issues,” Warren told host Charlie Rose.

“It’s up to others to say whether they stand there as well, or if they stand in some different place,” she continued, citing her positions on minimum wage, equal pay and trade as examples.

“I’d like to see her address all of these issues,” Warren said of Clinton. “You know, we have a big debate going on right now with trade within the Democratic Party.”

Warren argued that Democratic momentum was too strong to blindly accept any one candidate for 2016. She urged the party’s base to think carefully about whom they will pick as President Obama’s potential replacement.

• 45 GGail
      April 9, 2015 at 1:35 pm

Wow meta, Liz Warren went there on HRC, didn’t she. Good for her and that goes for all the candidates…state where you stand on all issues so the people can make an informed decision as to who they should support.

14. April 9, 2015 at 12:04 pm

I missed FLOTUS on Rachel Ray. 😦

15. 47 Nerdy Wonka
    April 9, 2015 at 12:29 pm

16. 48 Gazelle
    April 9, 2015 at 12:31 pm

Hello Chips, NW — I’m still (and always trying to) catch up with all your fab posts. LP, the toons were great! TODers, including my fellow lurkers, good day!

Yesterday I passed by the convenience store on my home. While paying for my item, a UPS driver came in and had an iPhone playing something. He grinned at me and said, “Do you want to see the coolest First Lady EVAH!” He showed me the vid of FLOTUS dancing at the Easter Egg festivities! Then we both tried to out-do each other in describing our love for FLOTUS! At the end I laughed & said POTUS is the best EVAH too & how blessed we are to have them in the WH. “Damn right,” he said, “The man has these folks so twisted they don’t know what’s behind, in front, or to the side! And he just keeps on keeping on.” The other customers in the store were nodding and had grins forming, including the store owner (customers were Black, White, Korean, and so on). Best LOL I’ve had in a few days!

• 49 MightyPamela
      April 9, 2015 at 12:38 pm

YES!! This is what is really happening – people do know, and they do care, and Change Has Come! 🙂

• 51 GGail
      April 9, 2015 at 1:42 pm

Gazelle, I love when that happens, especially in public places, you really get to see that a lot of people support our POTUS & FLOTUS.

17. 52 JER
    April 9, 2015 at 1:12 pm

LIVE SOON: Mario Givens, the man who filed a taser complaint against Patrolman Michael Thomas Slager in 2013, will have a press conference – http://www.cbsnews.com/liveFeed/widget.shtml

18. 53 Gazelle
    April 9, 2015 at 1:14 pm

I want to be Ms. Natasha Clark in that first photo! That has to be so much fun, honor, LOLz, and best of best memories! What a story to tell!

19. 54 JER
    April 9, 2015 at 1:22 pm

20. 58 JER
    April 9, 2015 at 1:23 pm

21. April 9, 2015 at 1:31 pm

We are, of course, far removed from a Cold War environment in which two global superpowers battled for influence and alliances around the globe, but the broader dynamic is not dissimilar – it’s clear that China sees itself as a 21st-century power, and it’s eager to establish make inroads just about everywhere, including the Caribbean.

This is a part of American foreign policy that isn’t often discussed, which Republicans tend to ignore, and which the White House cares deeply about in a very quiet way.

April 9, 2015 at 1:33 pm

April 9, 2015 at 1:36 pm

US President Barack Obama and Jamaican Prime Minister Portia Simpson-Miller during their bilateral meeting at the Jamaica House. The president said Thursday that he would soon decide whether to remove Cuba from the US list of state sponsors of terrorism now that the State Department has finished a review on the question as part of the move to reopen diplomatic relations with the island nation.

23. 78 Allison
    April 9, 2015 at 1:33 pm

24. 79 Vicki
    April 9, 2015 at 1:35 pm

In between bouncing around to Bob Marley I want to say how pleased I am about what is happening/going to happen with Cuba.

Direct flights from Orlando, FL start soon! PBO is removing Cuba (and possibly Venezuela) from terrorist lists. This means we can have embassies.

Unless the GOP wants to insure that they never get any but the very elderly folks in Little Havana, Miami, to vote for them they need to keep their protests to a whisper.

Good times, TOD.

25. 81 Allison
    April 9, 2015 at 1:38 pm

26. April 9, 2015 at 1:39 pm

27. 83 donna dem 4 obama
    April 9, 2015 at 1:41 pm

I have had several people approach me over the last couple of days to ask me how could a police officer with all the attention and focus that has been on them these last few months kill an unarmed black man running away from him so blatantly? My answer to them is sheer arrogance.

Webster defines arrogance as: an insulting way of thinking or behaving that comes from believing that you are better, smarter, or more important than other people. This is what IMO makes a police officer feel that because a man is running away from the shocks of his Taser that he can shoot him to death. How dare Mr. Scott run from him? He’s the man, he has the power and he will damn well show this man who’s the boss. Bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang (eight times) you’re dead.

Now, we’ll file a police report and all of my fellow officers will lie for me or turn a blind eye and I’ll ride off into the sunset probably richer (thanks to some good ole boy fundraising online) for alieving the nation of one more black man. This has been the common theme for the last several years.

All those people praising the North Charleston, SC police department and Mayor for their quick response and reaction to the killing should hold the applause. I call BS on all of it. There was widespread corruption within that PD in this killing. I believe that Police Chief read those reports filled by his officers and compared it to the video and knew he had a big problem on his hands. He couldn’t do anything other than arrest that trigger happy cop and fire him. What about the cop who came on the scene and was standing there when Slager planted the Taser next to the body? Why didn’t anyone administer live saving techniques when Mr. Scott was lying there dying and why did they lie and say they administered CPR when the video clearly shows no one lifted a finger to save this mans life? I haven’t seen a single report where anyone is asking these questions. They don’t ask because they don’t want to know. They can’t handle the truth!!!!! #BlackLivesMatter

• 84 GGail
      April 9, 2015 at 2:02 pm

Donna, I hear you. The Police Chief raised the hairs on my neck when he said something to the effect that his officers were like his children. Huh? Does that mean that you will first try to protect them at all cost till you have no other choice but to admit they are wrong? And yes, you are correct, this officer, seeing how these other offices before him has gotten away with “murder”, why should he let this “n” run away from him. Everyone will believe me.

I too hope the investigation delves into the behavior and statements of the first officer who responded and then the subsequent others involved that day.

28. 85 Allison
    April 9, 2015 at 1:42 pm

• 86 MightyPamela
      April 9, 2015 at 5:06 pm

“Lawd – I waz born a random man” – uh-huh. Sorry. Now this is stuck in my head. Darn.

April 9, 2015 at 1:45 pm

All are searched, no exceptions → http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/All-are-searched–no-exceptions

Security personnel being searched upon entry at the University of the West Indies Regional headquarters in Kingston.

30. 88 forus50
    April 9, 2015 at 1:47 pm

Could not be soon enough…

31. 92 JER
    April 9, 2015 at 2:09 pm

April 9, 2015 at 2:13 pm

33. April 9, 2015 at 2:18 pm

“The Ukrainian Parliament, the Verkhovna Rada, has voted to ban both Soviet and Nazi propaganda, a bill which could mean the destruction of the remaining statues of Vladimir Lenin, a popular target for anti-Russian anger.

RFE/RL reports:

Ukraine’s parliament voted on April 9 to ban “propaganda of the totalitarian Communist and Nazi regimes,” a major rebuke to the country’s Soviet-era masters in Moscow and to Russia.

A total of 254 members of the 450-seat Vekhovna Rada voted in favor of the legislation in the former Soviet republic, which is deeply at odds with Russia over its annexation of Crimea and support for separatists in a conflict that has killed more than 6,000 people.

Under the legislation, the Communist government that ruled between 1917 and 1991 — the Soviet era — is condemned as a criminal regime that conducted policies of state terror.”

More details: http://www.interpretermag.com/ukraine-live-day-416-pows-released-after-8-months-but-others-held-up-as-dnr-claims-all-freed/#7856

34. 96 JER
    April 9, 2015 at 2:22 pm

The POTUS heading to the University of the West Indies, Mona.

35. April 9, 2015 at 2:30 pm

Friends, we need to increase the pressure on SenDems to isolate defectors on the Corker bill. Schumer, Tim Kaine, and his gang are pushing it. If the veto is sustained then the Rs and traitors will have no more cards to play.

36. April 9, 2015 at 2:33 pm

Just saw some poll, don’t remember what poll it was, but it said that Americans didn’t trust Iran concerning nuclear deal. Guess what, let me say this to those Americans, Iran doesn’t trust America either. Believe me this country is not perfect, it has done lots of things it should not have. The United States should not act like it is so holy. Because it isn’t. Oh I’m sorry the right wing would not like you talking down about America.

@POTUS