Apr

First Lady Michelle Obama On #BetterMakeRoom

gallery-1460572111-seventeen-may-16-first-lady-newsstand

Seventeen: First Lady Michelle Obama Is Here to Make Going to College Way Less Stressful

Maybe you want to be a high-powered lawyer, like First Lady Michelle Obama was before she became the FLOTUS. Or maybe you want to work in the White House, like she does now, or become a scientist or a journalist or a teacher! No matter what your big dreams look like, you need a college education to take you there. That’s why Mrs. Obama launched the Better Make Room campaign, which encourages teens just like you to work hard in high school so you can shine in college. (Remember her viral music video that practically broke the Internet? Yeah, she rapped, “If you wanna fly jets, you should go to college. Reach high and cash checks? Fill your head with knowledge.”)

In November, we asked Seventeen readers to submit essays about how you’re overcoming obstacles to secure a spot at your dream school. Two lucky winners — Gemma Busoni and Zaniya Lewis, above — won a spot on our May cover alongside Mrs. Obama, plus they were invited to the White House for a heart-to-heart about applying to college, figuring out the future, and slaying the haters who tell you no. Her advice to Gemma and Zaniya rings true for you, too.

More here

gallery-1460574864-seventeen-may-16-first-lady-2

gallery-1460575366-seventeen-may-16-first-lady-1

102 Responses to “First Lady Michelle Obama On #BetterMakeRoom”

April 15, 2016 at 3:12 pm

Did you hear the Patriarch of Constantinople endorsed #Bernie2016?

I didn’t either, but Bernie might co-opt him next. #GetReady

2. 10 Don
    April 15, 2016 at 3:17 pm

You’re welcome, I will share.

3. April 15, 2016 at 3:20 pm

Jackie Robinson – Race Man – through and through

………..

Jackie Robinson: Militant Black Republican

“I’m a black man first, an American second, and then I will support a political party—third,” said Robinson in 1968.

BY: LEAH WRIGHT RIGUEUR

Posted: April 13 2016 3:00 AM

On a Saturday evening in February of 1966, over a thousand mostly white Republican men and women crowded into a Cleveland hotel banquet hall, eager to hear Jackie Robinson’s opening keynote for the annual Ohio Republican Conference. The baseball icon-turned-political activist did not disappoint.

“I am not what is known as a good Republican,” Robinson declared upon taking the stage. “I am certainly not a safe Republican. I am weary of the black man going hat in hand, shoulders hunched and knee pads worn, to ‘Uncle Tom’ to the enemies of our progress.”

In the context of today’s political chaos, Jackie Robinson’s militant pronouncements feel alien, especially when one surveys the racial wreckage of the modern GOP. The Republican Party’s approach to race right now can best be described as anarchy, as Donald Trump gleefully turns dog-whistle politics into full-blown nuclear alarm.

As party leaders scramble to address the Trump invasion, they’ve sidestepped accountability for the GOP’s role in creating the current climate. Largely absent in all of this are the voices of the party’s racial minorities. A few scattered examples have emerged as critiques of both Trump and the GOP at large, but none have done it with the comprehensive ferocity that rivals that of Jackie Robinson.

For years, conservatives have tried to claim the political legacy of Robinson without acknowledging his actual complicated “militant” politics. Although he campaigned as an independent for Richard Nixon in 1960, later changing his affiliation to Republican, and forged a close working relationship with New York Republican Gov. Nelson Rockefeller, Robinson was always cagey about his GOP identification.

• 12 Don
      April 15, 2016 at 3:25 pm

The complexity of being both black and Republican. With the passing of time their might come a day when the Republicans might try to claim the legacy of President Obama.

4. April 15, 2016 at 3:21 pm

5. April 15, 2016 at 3:24 pm

Our FLOTUS is wonderful.

6. April 15, 2016 at 3:24 pm

• 21 No Child Left Behind
      April 15, 2016 at 3:59 pm

Gee! I see things have escalated very fast once people start paying attention to the bs BS has being saying.

I hope and pray that I won’t have to vote for an hypocrite in November.

7. April 15, 2016 at 3:28 pm

THE WORST PART OF BUZZFEED’S SHOCKINGLY SELF-LOATHING “27 QUESTIONS BLACK PEOPLE HAVE FOR BLACK PEOPLE”

Damon Young, 4/13/16

It’s been a little over 12 hours since I first saw Buzzfeed’s “27 Questions Black People Have For Black People.” It was shared on the timelines of quite a few of my friends yesterday afternoon, but I didn’t get a chance to actually watch it until last night. And still, 12 hours later, I’m shocked by how bad it is.

…………………

But mostly, I’m shocked by the level of GFA (Gotdamn Fucking Awful) this was. It was so abjectly GFA that I watched a second time to verify how GFA it happened to be, and a third time just to make sure there wasn’t any satire I missed. Like maybe this was one of those meta jokes within a jokes about the type of Black people who think and say shit like this. But it wasn’t that. It was a video curation of every space on the self-loathing Black person bingo card.

• 23 Don
      April 15, 2016 at 3:38 pm

I doubt if I got pass question number 10, that’s how sickening it was. What struck me was the pained expressions on the faces of those African Americans asking the questions. I don’t know if this was self-loathing or if they were encouraged to do this. I hope that they were encouraged to do this because to think that this was self-loathing run amok would be too much even for me. But then again Dr. Ben Carson did say that he didn’t have a problem with Donald Trump calling him a predator.

8. 24 No Child Left Behind
    April 15, 2016 at 4:08 pm

If the Pope or some cardinal could find a vacant position for our Dear Leader Bernie, that would be good.

9. 26 Dudette
    April 15, 2016 at 4:13 pm

10. 32 Dudette
    April 15, 2016 at 4:21 pm

11. 33 Dudette
    April 15, 2016 at 4:38 pm

LOL!

• 35 Dudette
      April 15, 2016 at 5:45 pm

I’m so proud of Nate Parker. Have been following his career over the years.
      This will be hard to watch, but I will. I must.

• 36 purpleshoesla
        April 15, 2016 at 8:08 pm

Me too! He’s a very nice person IRL. Saw him once at the Ikea store in Burbank many years ago and interrupted his shopping to tell him how much I enjoyed his work in the Great Debaters and Blood Done Sign My Name. Very down to earth and personable. I agree this will be hard to watch, just like 12 years a slave but watch we must.

“History can repeat itself if you don’t know what went on behind you”.

12. 37 Dudette
    April 15, 2016 at 4:42 pm

13. 38 99ts
    April 15, 2016 at 5:10 pm

GM (down under time) TOD & Nerdy – what a fab FLOTUS post to start my day

14. April 15, 2016 at 5:11 pm

• 40 Don
      April 15, 2016 at 5:28 pm

Politico? When you’ve lost Politico you’ve lost the whole fucking ballgame.

• 41 Neena20409
        April 15, 2016 at 6:20 pm

The Dick Cheney Rag is finding out that better late than never for Once in a Blue Moon near-Truth article. The Truth has been an open hidden one, Muted by the DC/NY MSM since 20Jan09.
        Congrats, Don on your Au ⭐

15. April 15, 2016 at 5:13 pm

16. 43 donna dem 4 obama
    April 15, 2016 at 5:27 pm

• 44 MadameSoph
      April 15, 2016 at 5:36 pm

🙂 Finally! Monday will be fun. Also hoping for a PBO to make an appearance/interview before January 2017. I so loved when he did “The Decree” on the old show.

I just noticed her mid-western accent.

• April 15, 2016 at 5:47 pm

Hillary just don’t have the comedian touch like POTUS or FLOTUS. But I’ll still vote for her.

• 46 MadameSoph
          April 15, 2016 at 5:51 pm

Professional stand-ups praise PBO’s timing and delivery and say that it’s tough to follow him. HRC will never have PBO’s skills, but she’s gotten better at being herself and looking comfortable since 2008. I think, like PBO, she’s out of F’s to give.

• April 15, 2016 at 5:58 pm

now that was funny..i like it

17. April 15, 2016 at 5:29 pm

18. 57 JER
    April 15, 2016 at 5:38 pm

A hint of backlit sun on one tulip in the Rose Garden.

A post shared by Pete Souza (archived) (@petesouza44) on

19. April 15, 2016 at 5:54 pm

Thanks a trazillion Nerdy, FLOTUS looks stunning!

20. April 15, 2016 at 6:10 pm

WHOA

21. 72 Wanda N VA 4Obama
    April 15, 2016 at 6:12 pm

Glad you’re back Chips! Prayers and positive thoughts going out for you and your Mom!

22. 74 Nerdy Wonka
    April 15, 2016 at 6:19 pm

23. April 15, 2016 at 6:19 pm

24. 79 Neena20409
    April 15, 2016 at 6:23 pm

25. 80 Neena20409
    April 15, 2016 at 6:27 pm

26. 81 Nerdy Wonka
    April 15, 2016 at 6:31 pm

Adorable!

27. 82 Neena20409
    April 15, 2016 at 6:31 pm

28. April 15, 2016 at 6:33 pm

What a meeting this must have been!

29. 84 Neena20409
    April 15, 2016 at 6:34 pm

30. 85 No Child Left Behind
    April 15, 2016 at 6:34 pm

Does anyone know if Bernie drew a crowd of 200,000 Italians in Rome?

31. 87 Dudette
    April 15, 2016 at 6:36 pm

32. 88 No Child Left Behind
    April 15, 2016 at 6:42 pm

• 89 MadameSoph
      April 15, 2016 at 7:11 pm

Che stronzo! Didn’t even bother to write something special.

He’s no PBO, never in a million years!

33. 90 Dudette
    April 15, 2016 at 6:50 pm

34. 91 Nerdy Wonka
    April 15, 2016 at 7:00 pm

35. April 15, 2016 at 7:10 pm

GooD Read!

• 94 carolyn
      April 15, 2016 at 7:25 pm

I have watched Hillary Clinton since the late 1980s, and have seen her denigrated and debased like no one since Eleanor Roosevelt. She has survived more than almost anyone I know, and is coming up smiling. I loved the video of her playing dominoes…..and I’ve loved her really coming into her own this year. I love seeing her new sense of freedom to “be” and just let the chips fall where they may. She chose to stay with Bill, and all the fundamentalists thought she was weak, when they are the ones who yell about staying together…..She made the right choice for her, and is now about to reap the rewards she has worked so hard for. So what if she is not a ‘natural politician” she is brilliant and she studies and understands what needs to be done. At least 90% of the criticism leveled at her is because of her sex……she is a strong woman, and strong women always get it. I am a strong woman…..I had to wait for my Darwin who loved me strong, and generally loved strong women. He was not afraid. Whenever I hear these men’s disparaging comments, I say…..”They’re afraid, and this is how they handle it.” I firmly believe it.

36. April 15, 2016 at 7:16 pm