May

‘A Nation Of Second Chances’

39 Responses to “‘A Nation Of Second Chances’”

1. May 5, 2016 at 4:47 pm

Hello everybody.
    Thank you all so much for your compliments on my piece. Yeah I wish I didn’t have to write this. I am spooked. As an immigrant, this is not what I ever imagined America would descend to. But we’ve got work to do. Like many others I did not support Hillary in 2008, and have written tough stuff here about her and her hubby. I did not openly support any of our Democratic Party candidates this primary season, and waited passively to vote Dem in November.
    No more! I’ll vote for her in KY primary next week then work my ass off to get Hillary elected in November. Trump is extinction level threat. Don’t wanna have to find out what his reign of terror will be like. Dangerous corporate is just treating this nightmarish prospect like a video game. They have nothing to lose. Many of us do.

May 5, 2016 at 5:00 pm

^5 Zizi & thank you!

• May 5, 2016 at 5:17 pm

Hi VC, long time. Got back stateside 3 weeks ago right smack into the horror show called presidential primaries. Scary stuff.

May 5, 2016 at 5:20 pm

Scary even for a looker-on, Zizi, though I’m almost at the point where US political decisions no long surprise me. They still disappoint often, but the depths no longer surprise.

• May 5, 2016 at 5:18 pm

How have you been doing?

May 5, 2016 at 5:23 pm

Except for today when I stated with an incipient migraine and actually had to rush for pills, a dark room and quiet…..life’s been good!

Hope everyone in the birth-land is fine, and nice to have you back stateside!

• 7 MadameSoph
            May 5, 2016 at 5:46 pm

Hi VC, I heard magnesium helps prevent migraines. Make sure you are getting enough!

May 5, 2016 at 8:06 pm

Thanks, Mme S. Definitely something I should look into, considering I’ve never given a thought to my magnesium intake. Generally I eat what I want when I’m hungry, although I’ve been trying to eat regularly for about a year or so now. 😀

• May 5, 2016 at 5:26 pm

Hey zizi,
      I know. This is not the America I came to some 30 years ago. I too, am going on Saturday to elect delegates for Hillary to the Convention. I plan, God willing, not to only work to elect her, but anything I can do for the down tickets, I will, with vigor.

• 10 GGail
      May 5, 2016 at 5:29 pm

So, very true zizi, many of us have a whole lot to lose. We really cannot afford to be passive or allow our family & friends to duck their responsibility in November.

Our CA primary is in June – I will be looking for a Hillary campaign office to volunteer however I can.

• May 5, 2016 at 5:38 pm

Zizi, just finished reading and sharing your outstanding essay. Thought provoking and on point. As I’ve watched the racism hurled at PBO specifically, and all folks of color, generally, I am saddened that I gave 21 years of my life for these bigots. I now appreciate even more the sacrifices made by WWI & WWII ancestors. As the VP isn’t running, my plan was to sit out the primary and hold my nose in November; last Tuesday I spent a good part of the day handing out literature and soliciting votes for Hillary. Looks like I’ll spend the summer and fall doing voter registration & education — too much is on the line…

• 12 MadameSoph
      May 5, 2016 at 5:38 pm

“Dangerous corporate is just treating this nightmarish prospect like a video game. They have nothing to lose. Many of us do.”

THIS all day zizi2!

Don’t worry, we are all going to be working our asses off along with you. The Obama coalition is not going to let the legacy of the best President of our lifetimes be destroyed by America’s Berlusconi.

As a native born, I apologize. I am ashamed and sorry for this ugly, frightful and embarrassing spectacle being played out for our immigrants and the rest of the world (well, most of the world – apparently Putin loves DT).

I still held resentments from 2008, had wanted VP Biden, then was hoping for someone “new and exciting” – anyone but HRC. However, I am now all in for Hillary 2016 🙂 and, to be honest, I’m not just voting for her out of fear of DT. She served with PBO with loyalty; she’s atoned for 2008; she seems finally to have stopped listening to those around her telling her who she should be and is now her authentic self, which is infinitely more appealing than HRC from 2008. I actually like her message this time and am excited about her campaign. I want someone competent, experienced and skilled to help preserve what PBO has helped bring into being.

If we all work hard and stay on it, we could have 8 years of PBO followed by 8 (knock on wood) years of a solid Dem first woman President. We can do this – we can resign DT to a cautionary tale in the history books. We can demonstrate that the racists and xenophobes do not speak for the majority of us. We can show those who would manipulate racist resentment and fear for political purposes that their power is waning. We can do this – for PBO, for our country, for our future, for the world.

• 13 57andfemale
      May 5, 2016 at 5:44 pm

zizi, this country has always been capable of what we’re seeing now. What we did not have in the past was a RW media machine that could foment lies with impunity.

But it is winnable. We have fought back against this time and again and we will prevail. We have a tremendous amount of work to do. I am 66 years old (well, on Saturday I’ll be 66 years old) – I fought against the Vietnam War, I fought for women’s rights, voting rights, civil rights, LGBT rights. I am astounded that I have to fight for those rights all over again. I am also Jewish and was taught the horrors of Nazism, and to “never forget” what atrocities mankind is capable of.

I fervently believe that the battles of this election are the most important of my lifetime. So we soldier on…….

• 14 Roberta in MN
      May 5, 2016 at 5:47 pm

Thank you so much for your post. I FB it to my site. Love your truth. Thank you so very much again and again and again. (((hugs)))

• 15 Betsy
      May 5, 2016 at 6:04 pm

I thought what you wrote was amazing. Thanks so much!

2. May 5, 2016 at 5:21 pm

Hillary brings out a pretty good video Ad on Trump.

3. 18 donna dem 4 obama
    May 5, 2016 at 5:24 pm

4. 19 donna dem 4 obama
    May 5, 2016 at 5:25 pm

Welp! 😉

5. May 5, 2016 at 5:26 pm

Katie Nolan is a funny, smart voice in today’s sports media & I’m glad she has a platform to do fun stuff like this 😀 😀 😀

6. May 5, 2016 at 5:27 pm

My president does it again. Thank you PBO!!

7. 22 arapaho415
    May 5, 2016 at 5:42 pm

GA TODville.

And best wishes for your CincoDeMayo:

• May 5, 2016 at 5:47 pm

Gorgeous pot and potting, arapaho!

• 24 arapaho415
        May 5, 2016 at 6:08 pm

Thanks Meta!

Love the pot, which I spent $1.50 for last week (local Salvation Army store has a 50% off sale on the last Friday of each month) and thought it would be perfect for #CincoDeMayo).

• 26 catrst
      May 5, 2016 at 7:59 pm

You are an artist. Love it.

• 27 arapaho415
        May 5, 2016 at 9:26 pm

How sweet, catrst, thank you!

In actuality, I’m about the least artistic person around — pretty much have a tin ear for music and didn’t have much “arts and crafts” in school or otherwise.

But I love plants, and succulents in particular (have only been gardening for 18 months or so) — love flowers, but I’ve killed nearly all flowering plants that I’ve had (think you’re in CA, and many annuals survive our winters) 😦 .

I love succulents because their astounding array of colors — their leaves look like flowers, so it’s fun to take a colorful pot like this (gorgeous IMO) and find succulents that match/complement the pot (I pretty much raided other containers on hand and moved selected plants to this pot).

• 28 catrst
          May 7, 2016 at 11:30 am

I know you may not think so but you ARE an artist. That is absolutely wonderful. More pictures of your creations please.

8. 29 57andfemale
    May 5, 2016 at 5:45 pm

9. May 5, 2016 at 5:50 pm

10. 34 JER
    May 5, 2016 at 5:52 pm

11. 35 No Child Left Behind
    May 5, 2016 at 5:57 pm

I hope Canada and Mexico haven’t raised a TALL WALL yet.

12. May 5, 2016 at 6:00 pm