May

President Obama’s Historic Visit To Hiroshima

US President Barack Obama arrives at the Hiroshima Peace Memorial park cenotaph in Hiroshima on May 27, 2016. Obama became the first sitting US leader to visit the site that ushered in the age of nuclear conflict. / AFP / JOHANNES EISELE (Photo credit should read JOHANNES EISELE/AFP/Getty Images)

<> on May 27, 2016 in Hiroshima, Japan. It is the first time U.S. President makes an official visit to Hiroshima, historic site where the atomic bomb was dropped in the end of World War II in 1945.

US President Barack Obama delivers a speech at the Hiroshima Peace Memorial park cenotaph in Hiroshima on May 27, 2016. Obama became the first sitting US leader to visit the site that ushered in the age of nuclear conflict. / AFP / JOHANNES EISELE (Photo credit should read JOHANNES EISELE/AFP/Getty Images)

US Presdent Barack Obama (L) talks with 91-year-old A-bomb survivor Sunao Tsuboi (C) as Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe (behind L) looks on, after laying a wreath in front of a cenotaph to offer a prayer for victims of the atomic bombing in 1945 at the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park in Hiroshima on May 27, 2016. Obama on May 27 paid moving tribute to victims of the world's first nuclear attack. / AFP / POOL / KIMIMASA MAYAMA (Photo credit should read KIMIMASA MAYAMA/AFP/Getty Images)

US President Barack Obama (L) speaks with 91-year-old Sunao Tsuboi (2nd R), a survivor of the 1945 atomic bombing of Hiroshima, as Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe (2nd L) listens during a visit to the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park on May 27, 2016. Obama on May 27 paid moving tribute to victims of the world's first nuclear attack. / AFP / POOL / KIMIMASA MAYAMA (Photo credit should read KIMIMASA MAYAMA/AFP/Getty Images)

President Barack Obama speaks with 91-year-old Sunao Tsuboi, a survivor of the 1945 atomic bombing of Hiroshima, as Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe listens during a visit to the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park

US President Barack Obama hugs Shigeaki Mori (front), a survivor of the 1945 atomic bombing of Hiroshima, during a visit to the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park on May 27, 2016. Obama on May 27 paid moving tribute to victims of the world's first nuclear attack. / AFP / JIM WATSON (Photo credit should read JIM WATSON/AFP/Getty Images)

HIROSHIMA, JAPAN - MAY 27: U.S. President Barack Obama embraces atomic bomb survivor Shigeaki Mori during his visit to the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park on May 27, 2016 in Hiroshima, Japan. It is the first time U.S. President makes an official visit to Hiroshima, the site where the atomic bomb was dropped in the end of World War II on August 6, 1945. (Photo by Atsushi Tomura/Getty Images)

US President Barack Obama (C) hugs Shigeaki Mori, a survivor of the 1945 atomic bombing of Hiroshima, during a visit to the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park on May 27, 2016. Obama on May 27 paid moving tribute to victims of the world's first nuclear attack. / AFP / POOL / KIMIMASA MAYAMA (Photo credit should read KIMIMASA MAYAMA/AFP/Getty Images)

President Barack Obama embraces atomic bomb survivor Shigeaki Mori

The wreath placed by US President Barack Obama is displayed in front of the cenotoph in the Peace Momorial park in Hiroshima on May 27, 2016. Obama became the first sitting US leader to visit the site that ushered in the age of nuclear conflict. / AFP / TOSHIFUMI KITAMURA (Photo credit should read TOSHIFUMI KITAMURA/AFP/Getty Images)

HIROSHIMA, JAPAN - MAY 27: (EDITORS NOTE: Retransmission with alternate crop.) U.S. President Barack Obama visits the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park on May 27, 2016 in Hiroshima, Japan. It is the first time U.S. President makes an official visit to Hiroshima, the site where the atomic bomb was dropped in the end of World War II on August 6, 1945. (Photo by Atsushi Tomura/Getty Images)

US President Barack Obama (2nd L) delivers his speech next to Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe (L) after laying wreaths in front of a cenotaph to offer a prayer for victims of the atomic bombing in 1945, at Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park in Hiroshima on May 27, 2016. Obama on May 27 paid moving tribute to victims of the world's first nuclear attack. / AFP / POOL / KIMIMASA MAYAMA (Photo credit should read KIMIMASA MAYAMA/AFP/Getty Images)

Japanese and foreign Journalists watch US President Barack Obama's live address from the Hiroshima Peace Memorial park, at the 2016 Ise-Shima G7 Summit International Media Center in Ise city, Mie prefecture on May 27, 2016. Obama on May 27 paid a moving tribute to victims of the world's first nuclear attack. / AFP / MANAN VATSYAYANA (Photo credit should read MANAN VATSYAYANA/AFP/Getty Images)

Japanese and foreign Journalists watch President Barack Obama’s live address from the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park

Cjd56svUYAI0R1G

US Presdent Barack Obama (R) shakes hands with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe (L) after laying a wreath in front of the cenotaph to offer a prayer for victims of the atomic bombing in 1945 at Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park in Hiroshima on May 27, 2016. Obama on May 27 paid moving tribute to victims of the world's first nuclear attack. / AFP / POOL / KIMIMASA MAYAMA (Photo credit should read KIMIMASA MAYAMA/AFP/Getty Images)

US President Barack Obama delivers remarks after laying a wreath at the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park as Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe (L) looks on, in Hiroshima on May 27, 2016. Obama on May 27 paid moving tribute to victims of the world's first nuclear attack. / AFP / JIM WATSON (Photo credit should read JIM WATSON/AFP/Getty Images)

U.S. President Barack Obama places a wreath in front of the cenotaph at the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park in Hiroshima, Japan, on Friday, May 27, 2016. Nearly 71 years after U.S. forces dropped a devastating nuclear bomb on Hiroshima, Obama became the first American leader to set foot on the soil where so many people died. Photographer: Akio Kon/Bloomberg via Getty Images *** Local Captions *** Barack Obama

US President Barack Obama (R) holds a minute silence after placing a wreath at the cenotaph in the Peace Momorial park in Hiroshima on May 27, 2016 with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe. Obama on May 27 paid a moving tribute to victims of the world's first nuclear attack. / AFP / TOSHIFUMI KITAMURA (Photo credit should read TOSHIFUMI KITAMURA/AFP/Getty Images)

US President Barack Obama (R) recieves a bow from a student (L) at the cenotaph in the Peace Momorial park in Hiroshima on May 27, 2016. Obama became the first sitting US leader to visit the site that ushered in the age of nuclear conflict. / AFP / TOSHIFUMI KITAMURA (Photo credit should read TOSHIFUMI KITAMURA/AFP/Getty Images)

US President Barack Obama (L) and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe (R) walk beside the cenotaph in the Peace Momorial park in Hiroshima on May 27, 2016. Obama on May 27 paid a moving tribute to victims of the world's first nuclear attack. / AFP / TOSHIFUMI KITAMURA (Photo credit should read TOSHIFUMI KITAMURA/AFP/Getty Images)

US President Barack Obama (2nd L) shakes hands with Sunao Tsuboi, a survivor of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima, as Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe (L) looks on at the Hiroshima Peace Memorial park cenotaph in Hiroshima on May 27, 2016. Obama became the first sitting US leader to visit the site that ushered in the age of nuclear conflict. / AFP / JOHANNES EISELE (Photo credit should read JOHANNES EISELE/AFP/Getty Images)

US President Barack Obama (C) greets a school student as Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe watches (L) after delivering their speeches and laying wreaths in front of a cenotaph to offer a prayer for victims of the atomic bombing in 1945, at Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park in Hiroshima on May 27, 2016. Obama on May 27 paid moving tribute to victims of the world's first nuclear attack. / AFP / POOL / KIMIMASA MAYAMA (Photo credit should read KIMIMASA MAYAMA/AFP/Getty Images)

111 Responses to “President Obama’s Historic Visit To Hiroshima”

1. 1 Judith Fardig
    May 27, 2016 at 1:27 pm

Obama!! All over the world he engenders love and respect

2. 14 Judith Fardig
    May 27, 2016 at 1:29 pm

Recommitting to do everything I can to preserve President Obama’s legacy by electing Democrats up and down the ticket. No rest; no regrets!

3. 16 Dudette

7. 23 Nerdy Wonka
    May 27, 2016 at 1:56 pm

Hey, GGail, per your request, this one’s for you. 🙂

• 24 GGail
      May 27, 2016 at 2:13 pm

NW, I ❤ U
      I just hollar'd when I read this – it it PRICELESS!!!!

• 25 SUEDUVALLSMITH
      May 27, 2016 at 2:52 pm

I LOVE IT!!!! …………AND THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH……………..COMING SOON TO A THEATER NEAR YOU!

8. 26 Dudette
    May 27, 2016 at 1:57 pm

9. 28 Dudette
    May 27, 2016 at 2:03 pm

10. 33 Dudette
    May 27, 2016 at 2:09 pm

11. 34 Dudette
    May 27, 2016 at 2:17 pm

12. 35 Dudette
    May 27, 2016 at 2:28 pm

I wish every student in every school had a principal like Alisha Coleman-Kiner.

13. 36 MightyPamela
    May 27, 2016 at 2:29 pm

The Honorable Barack Obama. Indeed.

May 27, 2016 at 2:55 pm

Miss NerdyW – HUGE thanks! You done good! 😀 😀

ps: If I cannot find a small white Japanese shovel, how about I try to arrange a “Hiroshima hug” from POTUS as your travel keepsake?

• 38 SUEDUVALLSMITH
      May 27, 2016 at 3:08 pm

I DON’T THINK ANY OF US WILL EVER FORGET THE PRESIDENTIAL GRACE THAT HOVERED OVER THE ASHES OF HIROSHIMA TODAY……….THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH WORDS!

• May 27, 2016 at 4:56 pm

You are so right, Sue. I am so riveted by these photos and the embrace felt around the world!

• 40 jackiegrumbacher
          May 27, 2016 at 5:20 pm

Sue, Pf, there’s no president who could have done this with the same impact as PBO. He’s spent almost eight years building trust and credibility around the world. People know he’s real and does things from his heart because they’re right, not because they’re politically expedient. It had to be someone with extraordinary sensitivity and compassion to could step up and heal the wound that is Hiroshima. Only Barack H. Obama could do that..

• May 27, 2016 at 6:33 pm

You are so right….

from his acceptance speech of the Peace Prize …to his speech in Cairo….to his speech in Israel…the themes have been the same…

15. May 27, 2016 at 3:06 pm

Since I didn’t know anyone who was graduating from the Santa Fe Indian School, I wasn’t able to wrangle a ticket to see the First Lady yesterday. I do have a friend who was able to attend and he said that her speech was so very emotional, not only for everyone there, but for the First Lady as well. He said he cried.

There were a few “protesters” with a sign asking for the release of Leonard Peltier. I would love it if the President would pardon and release him before he leaves office.

• 43 SUEDUVALLSMITH
      May 27, 2016 at 3:19 pm

I HAVE DISCUSSED LEONARD PELTIER WITH MANY OF MY NATIVE AMERICAN FRIENDS…THE CONVICTION WAS UNJUST AND HIS PARDON WOULD BE SUCH A BLESSING TO OUR BELOVED NATIVE AMERICAN PEOPLE! THIS WOULD BE……….OH MY…SUCH A MOMENT TO CELEBRATE IN NATIVE HISTORY! I HAVE LEARNED SO MUCH ABOUT THE WHITE MANS’ CRUELTY TO THESE BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE. YOU CANNOT BUILD A COUNTRY ON THEFT OF LAND..EVENTUALLY IT CATCHES UP WITH YOU AS…. TRUTH ALWAYS DOES..AND BECOMES A SINKHOLE FILLED WITH REGRETS..GOD’S JUSTICE NEVER EVER FAILS!

16. 44 sabreen60
    May 27, 2016 at 3:15 pm

Just FANTASTIC. President Obama is absolutely the best. Thank you NW!

17. 46 SUEDUVALLSMITH
    May 27, 2016 at 3:23 pm

MY HEART IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FULL….THANK YOU PRESIDENT OBAMA FOR THIS MEMORY OF HIROSHIMA……..I HOPE THAT SOME OF THE ASHES CAN REST NOW!

18. 47 SUEDUVALLSMITH
    May 27, 2016 at 3:24 pm

BBL……………..I HOPE PBO IS CATCHING SOME HEALTHY FOOD AND SOME ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ’S…………………<3

19. May 27, 2016 at 3:26 pm

Nerdy Wonka…Thanks a million for your magnificent coverage of PBO that we get nowhere else.
    You are Sunshine on a cloudy day!

20. May 27, 2016 at 3:32 pm

• 53 Don
      May 27, 2016 at 5:34 pm

Number #1 is so true, I have a friend at work who greets me every morning with “What they do, Don.”

Number #5 is serious, never question a brother when he’s wearing linen, especially if he’s over 35. Please please please, under no circumstance should you ever attend a white party if you aren’t in full command of our attire. You’ve been warned.

Number #6 is true also, we have scented candles in dinning room and in the foyer and in the master bedroom and master bathroom.

Number #7 is true, I have female friends and without them giving me an explanation I know in which context they are using the word “girl.”

Number #8 is true, please learn how to use “cousin” in the proper context.

• 54 99ts
        May 27, 2016 at 8:08 pm

I love your comments Don – and the article, suddenly so much makes sense to me since TOD came into my world. I do not understand #5 – will have to study up on that.

from a white girl’s viewpoint
        #3 – I so understood this one – my answer was always – “self-important men”
        #6 – all my friend’s daughters (generation thing in my world)
        #8 – white people definitely do this too – cousins are very important in my family & older ones are always given the title.

• 55 GGail
      May 27, 2016 at 9:33 pm

Oh Girl!!!!!!!
      Rikyrah, you got me rolling with laughter and shaking my head – YES!!!
      Then, I read the comments and fell out laughing.
      My people are so colorful 🙂

21. 56 Dudette
    May 27, 2016 at 3:55 pm

22. 57 Neena20409
    May 27, 2016 at 4:15 pm

For the 1st time in a Long time, I was Up & I watched POTUS’ Hiroshima Speech. I watched it LIVE & on BBC. Then I was never able to go to speech. I am sleep deprived more than usual. But I am a Happy Clappy Liberal today 😉
    Hello TOD. Thanks, NW. You have kept it 100 covering the Energizer Bunny all week. Thanks to Chips, Amk and the rest of the TOD TODbot Gangsters 🙂
    Congrats to all the Gold ⭐ winners since last Evening.
    So sorry to read that my Rafael Nadal as withdrawn from the French Clay Tournament due to a wrist injury.
    Back to catching up.

23. 58 No Child Left Behind
    May 27, 2016 at 4:30 pm

24. 59 No Child Left Behind
    May 27, 2016 at 4:35 pm

May 27, 2016 at 5:09 pm

Good. And I hope that’s one promise Trump keeps.

• 61 99ts
        May 27, 2016 at 8:12 pm

Bernie got played – helped Trump in his attacks on Sec Clinton. I will NEVER understand why the media refuses to call Trump out on his disgusting language – not to mention the rest of his reality show persona.

May 27, 2016 at 8:53 pm

The media saw it might get them something – like he’d throw ’em a bone. He exposed what we already knew about many in the media!

May 27, 2016 at 4:40 pm

Added with no comment…

I happen to believe that the donkey is the greatest animal on Earth.

Donkeys have the permanent expression that says: “Life. It’s a pile of doo-doo, isn’t it? Got any food?”

Yet in Wajir, Kenya, they’ve decided to tear the very dignity from this most dignified of animals.

As the BBC reports, town officials have written to those whose preferred mode of transport is the donkey cart and told them to equip their donkeys with diapers or not to enter the town at all.

……………………………………. //

26. May 27, 2016 at 5:03 pm

• 65 Dudette
      May 27, 2016 at 5:16 pm

May 27, 2016 at 5:38 pm

This interview about Barack is well worth listening to again!!!!! I had forgotten about this, and it is great listening to her again now. So sad that she’s passed over.

• May 27, 2016 at 7:54 pm

Wow…Incredible,,,,,

May 27, 2016 at 8:09 pm

Isn’t it though, PF! 🙂 🙂 🙂

It always gives me tremendous pleasure to listen to, or read, the reaction to, or description of, Pres O by those who know him well. Their assessment is always consistent not only across the board, but also with what we TODobots know of him! Truth is, whenever I start to re-listen to any of these I ALWAYS get roped in even if I decide before that I’ll only listen to a bit. 🙂 It is just so wonderful to listen and to be able to nod along while saying ‘Yes, that’s true!’ I’ve seen exactly that!’ ‘Hmmm, that’s how he leads’ ‘etc. etc.’ We. have. been. blessed!!! And many of us know it – here and around the world!

May 27, 2016 at 5:52 pm

// …………….

CB: Yeah, I think that some of the expectations that people had of how he should identify or how he shouldn’t identify, the positions that he should have on issues and the positions that he ultimately had on issues, you know, Barack was not and is not predictable. He’s thoughtful. He’ll tell you what he believes, but it isn’t always what you expect.

REPORTER: So that hence, when I interview Berenson, and he says: “I love the guy. I really didn’t expect to. We’re all the guys that run the Bush administration.” … And that he thought Obama handled the really supercharged issues like affirmative action and other things really right down the middle. Am I answering your question for you?

CB: I think that Brad is right in that regard. It wasn’t without controversy in that there was an expectation, as I indicated, that he would be in one place just in terms of his ideological approach is to the left. And there was an expectation that as the president of the Law Review that he would side — well, there was an expectation on the part of his more progressive colleagues at the Law Review that he would side with them on issues.

But he recognized that his role was such that he had to bring both sides together. And in order to publish the Law Review and to be productive in his term as president, he had to figure out how to make it work and how to make both sides work together, which meant that he wasn’t always going to side with his progressive colleagues, that he had to take the interests and the ideas of the people on the right into account.

And it’s not to suggest that where he was on the issue was being reflected in the decision that he made. But it did reflect what he needed to do as a leader in order to produce the Law Review.
        …………………………………………………….
        REP: For sure. And you, Cassandra, have seen him over 20 years carry that attitude into many other things, yes? …

CB: You know, I don’t know if it’s that. I don’t know if he was that conscious. It was an approach that worked on the Law Review. And just thinking about his public experience or his experience as a public official in the Senate in Illinois, you know, it is Barack’s natural inclination to reach across the aisle. It’s [his] personality. And it’s also just his intellect. He has a very engaging intellect. He’s not interested necessarily in dominating the conversation. He wants to bring people into the conversation. He wants to understand different points of view. And understanding those different points of view informs the way he thinks about issues.

It isn’t necessarily that it’s going to change his opinion, but it will make him more thoughtful as he approaches an issue. And I think that that is what has informed his experience in public life, what informed his experience on the Law Review, and what’s informed his experience as a public official.

……………………. //

May 27, 2016 at 6:09 pm

It is always, always a joy to listen to people who know Barack Obama well (and for years/decades) speak about him! They always attest to his authenticity.

// ……………………..

CB: …………………….
          Just an example, this notion of his ambition: I campaigned in New Hampshire and [former Sen.] Bill Bradley [D-N.J.] endorsed Barack at that point, and came to New Hampshire to do some campaigning for him. …

And he said that you see politicians and they’re in front of a crowd, and they’re soaking up all the energy from the crowd, and they’re getting big, and they’re swelling up, and that what attracted him to Barack was that when Barack is in front of a crowd, he isn’t absorbing the energy that they’re giving him and getting larger and becoming puffed up. He reflects that energy back on the people who are in the crowd. He energizes them.

I thought that that was incredibly insightful. And it does go to this notion of, what’s his ambition? And it goes back to him as a community organizer and the kind of leadership style that he has, that he reflects the energy and that ambition back to the people who are out there in the crowd. It isn’t him soaking in their energy and being the kind of leader that is the only one on the stage. He has this ability to bring people in the process where they really feel that they’re part of the process and that they can make a difference. And that’s, I think, his skill as a politician.
          ……………………… //

• 71 Roberta in MN
        May 27, 2016 at 8:22 pm

Just read the transcript it was really really good.

• 72 Dudette
      May 27, 2016 at 5:19 pm

27. May 27, 2016 at 5:10 pm

I wasn’t going to watch this, but Luvvie has convinced me.

……………..

On ROOTS Reimagined and Retelling This Classic Story
    Awesomely Luvvie — May 26, 2016 1 24

When I first heard that they wanted to remake ROOTS, I legit was like “Bhet why?” The mini-series from 1977, based on Alex Haley‘s book of the same name is one of those classics that everyone knows about even if they haven’t seen. Why touch it? Why do we need to see a new version of the harrowing tale of Kunta Kinte, a Mandinka warrior, stolen and sold into slavery? It was the role that catapulted LeVar Burton into stardom, and it is so strongly HIS that why would they even try to re-do it?
    ………………………………

Those were my questions when the ROOTS team reached out to me. I was hella skeptical. And then they told me why they were re-imagining (not remaking) ROOTS. It turns out that most millennials (people under 35) have never seen the original ROOTS. We’ve seen clips of the “What’s your name? KUNTA.” scene, but many of us have never sat down to watch it. Me included.

So they sent me a screener of the first episode of ROOTS Reimagined. Y’all. Y’ALL. I watched it and when it ended, I felt trapped in a glass case of emotions. I felt anger that was visceral. I felt proud, from the resilience of my people. And I felt more than ever that this was necessary. This is a time when this conversation can be really productive.

28. 74 Dudette
    May 27, 2016 at 5:23 pm

29. May 27, 2016 at 6:01 pm

Isn’t this what folks like me have been saying?

This isn’t about freedom of speech.

This is about freedom from the CONSEQUENCES of expressing that ‘ freedom of speech’.

They want to be able to party like it’s 1948, where a WHITE MALE, cause that’s who we’re talking about…

could go around and call me Nigger, without there being any consequences.

Well, today, if he does it, he doesn’t know or not, if he’s rolled up ‘ the wrong one’,. and his teeth will wind up looking like Chicklets on the pavement. And, that’s the lesser of what could happen to him.

Nobody’s playing with these muthaphuckas.

He’s all big and bad..then BE all big and bad…

but, accept the consequences for being all big and bad…

Man……PHUCK.OUTTA.HERE.

…………………………..

A Dialogue With a 22-Year-Old Donald Trump Supporter

He lives near San Francisco, makes more than $50,000 per year, and is voting for the billionaire to fight against political correctness.

CONOR FRIEDERSDORF 9:20 AM ET

For several days, I’ve been corresponding with a 22-year-old Donald Trump supporter. He is white, has a bachelor’s degree, and earns $50,000 to $60,000 per year.

He lives near San Francisco.

“I recently became engaged to my Asian fiancée who is making roughly 3 times what I make, and I am completely supportive of her and proud she is doing so well,” he wrote. “We’ve both benefitted a lot from globalization. We are young, urban, and have a happy future planned. We seem molded to be perfect young Hillary supporters,” he observed, “but we’re not. In 2016, we’re both going for Trump.”

………………………………

Trump Voter: We are young, urban, and have a happy future planned. We seem molded to be perfect young Hillary supporters. But we’re not. Both of us voted Libertarian in 2012, and ideologically we remain so. But in 2016? We’re both going for Trump.

For me personally, it’s resistance against what San Francisco has been, and what I see the country becoming, in the form of ultra-PC culture. That’s where it’s almost impossible to have polite or constructive political discussion. Disagreement gets you labeled fascist, racist, bigoted, etc. It can provoke a reaction so intense that you’re suddenly an unperson to an acquaintance or friend. There is no saying “Hey, I disagree with you,” it’s just instant shunning. Say things online, and they’ll try to find out who you are and potentially even get you fired for it. Being anti-PC is not about saying “I want you to agree with me on these issues.” It’s about saying, “Hey, I want to have a discussion and not get shouted down because I don’t agree with what is considered to be politically correct.”

• 76 Don
      May 27, 2016 at 6:08 pm

Whenever I hear someone complain about political correctness, I take it to mean that they want to be able say whatever they want to without suffering the consequences.

• 77 pkayden
      May 27, 2016 at 6:59 pm

Thankfully his vote and that of his fiancee’s will be useless since he’s in an ultra Blue state. No one is shocked that people voting for Trump are straight up idiots.

30. 78 Dudette
    May 27, 2016 at 6:36 pm

I’m sure this story must’ve already came to TOD. I just ran across it. Wow!

31. 79 Idon
    May 27, 2016 at 6:51 pm

I love my President. He is the epitome of leadership and compassion.

32. 80 JER
    May 27, 2016 at 6:58 pm

President Obama greets troops and their families at Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, Japan.

A post shared by Pete Souza (archived) (@petesouza44) on

33. 81 JER
    May 27, 2016 at 7:05 pm

34. 83 JER
    May 27, 2016 at 7:24 pm

35. May 27, 2016 at 7:31 pm

36. 86 Nerdy Wonka
    May 27, 2016 at 7:44 pm

May 27, 2016 at 8:08 pm

May 27, 2016 at 8:17 pm

What Japanese in India thought of Obama’s Hiroshima visit.

For a modest population of people living in close-knit communities across India — Mumbai, Delhi, Pune, Chennai, Bengaluru, Ahmedabad and Sataku or Japantown, Haldia — May 27, 2016 was a meaningful day when the clock turned back. And new healing began.

“The American president’s visit to Hiroshima is historically significant,” says Yoji Yoshikawa, principal of the Japanese School Educational Trust (started 40 years ago) in Chennai.

“Whether he will apologise or not now is not a problem. I want him to make an effort to create a new world, by learning from history. It is a good direction. It is most important that we move forward step by step,” he says.

“I feel very happy. I believe it makes President Obama very special, in a sense that no other US President has ever done (visited Hiroshima, which the Americans devastated with an atomic bomb on August 6, 1945, killing thousands and maiming thousands of others). I believe it will make an emotional moment for all Japanese all over the world,” says Isogai.

Ando offers observation that Obama’s trip to this now ultra-modern southern Japanese city of one million plus, where he said, ‘Death fell from the sky,’ made her feel “very positive.”

It was a huge moment for the Japanese, Ando adds, especially since no other incumbent American president has had the courage to visit Hiroshima before.

Obama, she says, was already a popular figure in her country because he is perceived as a different kind of leader, raised to think differently. But from now onwards, she agrees, he would be a hero in Japan, having endeared himself to the next many generations of Japanese with his simple but momentous and “sentimental” gesture.

39. 89 99ts
    May 27, 2016 at 8:19 pm

Blessings TODers – especially to Ms Chips

Wonderful pictures, irreplaceable man.

Many thanks Nerdy W. You are the best with the news that matters.

40. 91 JER
    May 27, 2016 at 8:27 pm

• 92 Roberta in MN
      May 27, 2016 at 8:40 pm

Thank you JER, happy he is home safe & sound. He had a busy week and Nerdy & You kept us all well informed. My many thanks to both of you.

41. May 27, 2016 at 8:34 pm

Two heartbreaking stories from those who witnesses Kennedy assassinations:

42. 95 Roberta in MN
    May 27, 2016 at 8:37 pm

I watched Judy Woodward on PBS News Hour tonight, and of course they found several people in Japan that were not happy President Obama didn’t apologize for the Bomb and didn’t believe him when he said he wanted no more nuclear bombs especially since we are maintaining our arsenal and upgrading them. Could watch the whole hour.

43. May 27, 2016 at 8:40 pm

May 27, 2016 at 8:51 pm

Of course he did. Can you imagine how proud his mother would be (and, I believe, is)!

• May 27, 2016 at 9:02 pm

Oh my gosh, she would absolutely be beside herself with pride at each and every one of his historic achievements. I so wish she could’ve have shared his extraordinary life as President on this earth.

May 27, 2016 at 8:46 pm

It’s a little early for a Father’s Day message … but may forget to post this in June for all the dads on TOD! It’s from a Christian comedian I just ran into accidentally … glorious! (Bring tissues.)

. https://twitter.com/JOBoomr/status/736356824304193537

May 27, 2016 at 9:21 pm

my pet peeve with du.

May 27, 2016 at 9:22 pm

May 27, 2016 at 9:38 pm

This is the real stuff that matters. Rest is all bs of a noise.

May 27, 2016 at 9:40 pm

49. May 27, 2016 at 9:42 pm

May 27, 2016 at 9:43 pm

51. May 27, 2016 at 9:58 pm

Please RT this very effective piece. It really sums up the disgusting lies and fascism Trump propagates.

@POTUS