Jun

Happy Father’s Day: Dad-In-Chief

Obama-daughters

Joshua Kendall: Obama’s Most Unusual Legacy? Being A Good Dad

Shortly before the 2004 Illinois Democratic primary for the U.S. Senate, which he was to win by a landslide, Barack Obama was riding high. After about a year of nonstop campaigning, the Illinois state senator had raised far more money than any of his rivals, and his path both to the nomination and to the floor of the U.S. Senate seemed assured. But his closest advisers sensed that the 42-year-old candidate and father of two — 5-year-old Malia and 2-year-old Sasha — was feeling a bit down and listless. As Valerie Jarrett later told biographer Richard Wolfe, she suggested that the candidate meet her for lunch at Chicago’s posh gym, the East Bank Club.

obama-daughters-ftr

“What’s wrong?” Obama asked “the principal,” as he referred to his chief aide. Jarrett replied, “Your heart isn’t in it. What’s wrong with you?” “I miss my girls,” Obama said as tears welled up. “I don’t want to be the kind of father I had.” But after composing himself, he added, “I’ll work it out. I’ll be okay.” This hands-on dad, who helped coach Sasha’s grammar school basketball team, puts a high premium on both connecting with and providing direction to his girls. At 6:30, Obama and his wife sit down with the girls for a family dinner without any outsiders. The evening meal, observed Obama’s former body-man Reggie Love, was treated “like a meeting in the Situation Room. There’s a hard stop before that dinner.” While aides sometimes call him back to work at 8:30 or 9, they rarely dare to go upstairs to bother him during the sacred dinner hour.

More here

3059AE1800000578-3408972-image-a-7_1453341244553

d91966c84f5d03eb33e2cab9b3ee1061

2AA2CF3E00000578-3166498-President_Obama_walks_with_his_daughter_Sasha_14_on_their_way_to-a-93_1437239509609

malia-sasha-obama

2ECEF47600000578-3334139-image-a-40_1448494015982

2ECF12A800000578-3334139-image-a-33_1448493686186

obama-daughters-01-800

AP_barack_obama_sasha_malia_2008_jt_150621_4x3_992

130 Responses to “Happy Father’s Day: Dad-In-Chief”

1. 1 Magapie
    June 19, 2016 at 7:05 pm

WOW. Such awesome girls!

• 2 Roberta in MN
      June 19, 2016 at 8:31 pm

Congrats on 1st Magapie. Nerdy out did herself with all of these gorgeous pictures.

2. 3 taiping1
    June 19, 2016 at 7:20 pm

Great photos! His love for his daughters shines. Thanks NerdyWonka for all you do. Thoughts/prayers for Chips’ mom.

3. 4 FoxfireTX
    June 19, 2016 at 7:56 pm

Nerdy, THANK YOU for this walk down memory lane, and for all your work covering this trip. The photos are amazing. I’m hoping Pete will post some additional ones in the coming days.

Hope that all the men had wonderful Father’s Days and the moms who stepped in for dads, too. I am anxiously waiting on a new little one in our family, my favorite niece was due with her first last Monday. But no word yet. She doesn’t get a lot of paid maternity leave but fortunately has been able to work from home this last week while she’s waiting so she is not eating up her time off. Even with all of the advanced technology, they do make their appearance on their own schedule! I suspect her husband was hoping to have his new daughter in his arms for Father’s Day but alas…….

4. 5 Anjo
    June 19, 2016 at 8:02 pm

May the joys of Fathers Day last the whole year through.

Why would the Democrats change the Super delegates rule and allow independents and Republicans to vote in their primaries when BS is out. After seeing what can happen another non Democrat will not be allowed to run on the party ticket. Its a Democratic Party primary, common sense alone says registered Democrats only should and must vote its just plain common sense. How can BS expect to VISIT the house and throw out the furniture and children and demand the parents change the rules of how the house is run if they don’t want to be thrown out either. He needs to be kicked to the curb forthwith and run out of the neighbourhood too.

5. 6 Anjo
    June 19, 2016 at 8:06 pm

Will we receive a comprehensive report, with photos, from the TODs of Washington? We know its only a weekend but we share everything here so we wait with bated breath. Congrats Dudette on your dishy heartthrob

6. 7 SUEDUVALLSMITH
    June 19, 2016 at 8:37 pm

IT WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE TO HAVE HAD A DAD LIKE THAT..OR A MOTHER FOR THAT MATTER…THEY ARE BLESSED YOUNG WOMEN!

June 19, 2016 at 8:38 pm

Beautiful post! Thank you, NW!

8. 9 Nerdy Wonka
    June 19, 2016 at 8:39 pm

9. 10 Roberta in MN
    June 19, 2016 at 8:41 pm

Nerdy only one word -two “YOU ARE AWESOME” three words. Long day and my A/C unit is going kaputs. Service call tomorrow. It is supposed to be a little cooler only 82 tomorrow and 56 t night. Can handle that with a fan. See you all Monday.

10. 11 Nerdy Wonka
    June 19, 2016 at 8:48 pm

11. June 19, 2016 at 8:48 pm

POTUS returns to West Coast Thursday and Friday for Global Entrepreneurship Summit, in San Jose, the he attends a fundraiser in Seattle, returns to D.C. June 24.

12. 14 Nerdy Wonka
    June 19, 2016 at 8:54 pm

13. June 19, 2016 at 8:57 pm

Thanks so much for the pics, NW.

I appreciate seeing our POTUS enjoying just being a “Dad”. 🙂

14. June 19, 2016 at 8:58 pm

Thrilled they all got to see Bridal Veil Falls!! It’s super gorgeous and he caught a rainbow!!

Vernal Fall today. @yosemitenps

A post shared by Pete Souza (archived) (@petesouza44) on

June 19, 2016 at 10:34 pm

Hi Meta! 🙂 What’s the weather like in your corner – literally and worklike-aly; everything all wrapped up?

Got to admit that all these rainbows following PBO always remind me of the biblical story of God shining a ‘light’ upon Jesus and *a* voice uttering …

– “This is my beloved Son in whom I am well-pleased. Hear ye him!*

Not saying that BHO is a god or anything 😉 😉 ; simply saying that each time a rainbow welcomes (or waves goodbye to) PBO somewhere *I* am reminded of this story.

• June 19, 2016 at 10:44 pm

Hey, vc, how’s it going? Are you home or still in DC? Did you have a great time or what?

Project went well after a distressing couple of weeks. Some in the group didn’t quite grasp the scope of the research design and didn’t interpret ALL the data as we’d hoped, so it was a slog. But we pulled it together and after a few drafts the final report was very well-received. I’m done!!

PBO does have rainbows following him everywhere he goes. It’s amazing. And Pete is always there to capture it all so beautifully.

June 19, 2016 at 11:32 pm

I’m still in DC, Meta, and ( *ahem* if I discount the fact that it’s clear the ladies seemed ‘out to get me’) it was a lovely trip! We missed you though. I’ll be here another two days, basically to unwind and build up courage for the return trip home. You have no idea how TOD-ers can walk, and walk, and walk – not to mention talk! Donna outdid herself bringing wonderful walking/traveling weather, despite rumours of potential thunderstorms and rain. We all got along well, saw some terrific sights, ate some lovely meals, and generally feel the trip was well-worth the efforts. In fact, ideas are already being floated for a meet-up in Chicago 2018, and when that seemed too far away – ideas for a 2017 North Carolina was introduced by Nancie . In fact, some were actually mentioning the opening of the African American History Museum in DC in September of this year!!!! Had to remind them that my millionaire daddy hasn’t given me my ‘small loan’ up front …. yet. 😀

Also, “Congrats of being the leader this final portion of the project directed!”

• June 20, 2016 at 9:02 am

Very true, vc. (Hi!!!! **waving**). The rainbow in the flood story was a sign of God’s blessing and President Obama is truly blessed by God and a true blessing to us.

Please tell Theo how much enjoyed meeting him and ‘hanging out’ with him! Best if kick to him in his musical future.

June 20, 2016 at 9:12 am

Morning, Maryl, I see you’ve settled back into *normal*. Great! Theo says ‘Thank you’ & he had fun too.

• June 20, 2016 at 12:25 pm

I am back at school finishing paperwork and I’ll be here all week packing, up and being part of the interview team for new teachers, but I am FAR from ‘back to normal’! I’ve spent the morning telling everyone I can how great the weekend was-I’m still floating! Except for this morning when I could barely drag myself out of bed because of all the amazing stuff we did this weekend! It is so much fun to read your comment and be able to ‘see’ your face and ‘hear’ your voice in my head!

• 30 sjterrid
      June 20, 2016 at 12:02 am

Wow, this Pete Souza photo is beautiful. Thank you for sharing it here, Meta.

June 19, 2016 at 9:01 pm

June 19, 2016 at 9:18 pm

17. 33 idon
    June 19, 2016 at 9:48 pm

Love the First Family pics. The girls are so beautiful and composed.

June 19, 2016 at 9:50 pm

June 19, 2016 at 9:53 pm

June 19, 2016 at 10:10 pm

Go cavs/warriors?

21. 38 JER
    June 19, 2016 at 10:11 pm

22. June 19, 2016 at 10:22 pm

TODers, HEADS UP. Chips and her mother need us:

{{{{CHIPS}}}} {{{{Mother}}}}

• 40 amk for obama
      June 19, 2016 at 10:35 pm

Thanks meta.

Chips, may you be strong in these tough times.

• June 19, 2016 at 10:48 pm

Chips, you and mom are surrounded by love and light.

• 42 lynn
      June 19, 2016 at 10:50 pm

We are with you both, Dearest Chips. Many thanks, meta, for the update. Typed through tears.

June 19, 2016 at 10:51 pm

Wishing Chips and her mom peace and comfort at this time. Hugs and love to them both.

• 52 misspat
      June 19, 2016 at 10:57 pm

Thinking of you, will keep praying for you, stay strong.

• 53 COS
      June 19, 2016 at 11:13 pm

We will Chips. Thanks for the update.

June 19, 2016 at 11:16 pm

Dear Chips – You are surrounded by all of us – north, south, east and west – we hold you both in a very loving embrace. Whatever you go through, we go through. Praying. Much love.

• 60 arapaho415
      June 19, 2016 at 11:18 pm

Thanks Meta for Chips’ update (haven’t been visiting her twitter feed since her absence here).

Very, very sad for Chips and her family. Courageous of her to let everyone know while so much is going on for her.

Losing a parent is so stunning, shocking and difficult and lingers with you always.

Peace to Mama Chips, healing and love to Chips.

• 61 MightyPamela
      June 19, 2016 at 11:20 pm

🙏🏻🌹❤️🙏🏻❤️🌹🙏🏻 Angels and beautiful Light to Guide your Beloved Mother Home, dear Chipsticks. Be grateful to walk beside her as far as you are able to. She will never be very far from you. 🙏🏻

• June 19, 2016 at 11:20 pm

Chips,
      You and your mother are in my prayers.

June 19, 2016 at 11:21 pm

No words. Love you, Chips…hug her close and leave nothing unsaid. {{{Chips}}} {{{Mom Chips}}}

• June 19, 2016 at 11:24 pm

Dearest, Chips. My thoughtsare with you and your mother. So extremely sorry…my heart aches for you. Will keep a divo lit and hope and pray for the best.

• 65 MadameSoph
      June 19, 2016 at 11:41 pm

Chips, know that I am praying for your mom to feel the divine light and love that I know surrounds her and will continue to surround and protect her no matter what side of the veil she is on.

Also, please know how much you are loved here, and that we are all sending light and love from our hearts to surround you in this most difficult time.

{{{{Chips}}}} {{{{Mom}}}}

• June 19, 2016 at 11:49 pm

thank you for this meta….

wishing your strength courage MsChips……much love to you and your momma

• 67 sjterrid
      June 20, 2016 at 12:15 am

{{{{{{Chips & Mom}}}}}}, You are in my thoughts and prayers. I lit a candle at The Gratefulness sitehttp://www.gratefulness.org

• 68 GGAIL
      June 20, 2016 at 12:21 am

Chips, my prayers are going out to you and your mother as she makes her transition 💕
      You are loved by us all. 🙏🏾

• 69 canadabarb4obama
      June 20, 2016 at 12:39 am

You are both in my heart and prayers. Blessings for you both.

• 70 nathkatun7
      June 20, 2016 at 1:53 am

Thanks Meta for sharing!

Dear Chips, may you find strength to cope in this difficult time! Though we cannot ease your pain and grief, we are thinking of you and send you our love!

• June 20, 2016 at 1:55 am

Chips, you and your family are in my prayers. Hope you’ve felt the love and thoughts from your TOD sisters in DC this weekend as we lifted a toast to you and Momma Chips Thursday night.

• 72 Anna
      June 20, 2016 at 3:41 am

Prayers and hugs for you Chips and your mother, at this difficult time.

• 73 globalcitizenlinda
      June 20, 2016 at 7:27 am

Ms. Chips, we are thinking of you & your mother at this difficult time;

praying for strength & love for all of you

• June 20, 2016 at 7:37 am

Just now seeing this {{{{{Chips}}}}} … at your side …

• 75 jackiegrumbacher
      June 20, 2016 at 7:55 am

Oh, meta, I had no idea of how serious the situation is for Chips. My heart aches for her. What a tremendously difficult time for them both.

• June 20, 2016 at 8:16 am

sending love and healing thoughts to you both.

• 77 cd4biden
      June 20, 2016 at 10:16 am

{{{Chips}}} and {{{Chips Mom}}}. You are both in my prayers.

• 78 Dudette
      June 20, 2016 at 11:47 am

Dear Chips and Mom! We are with you! We love you!

• 79 Nena20409
      June 20, 2016 at 12:33 pm

{{{{ ❤ ❤ Chips ❤ ❤ }}}}
      {{{{ ❤ ❤ Chips' Mom ❤ ❤ }}}}
      You are in my thoughts & Prayers.

• 80 lmrj
      June 20, 2016 at 7:54 pm

Delurking… Thank you Meta for posting a Chips/Chips Mom update.
      God bless and strengthen you and your family as you walk through this stage with your mom. It’s good that you’re by her side. Praying that both of you are bathed in light and love during this transition.

• 81 Marlz (@marjgra)
      June 21, 2016 at 6:48 pm

Praying for you, your mom and family…Stay Strong Chips an know you are surrounded by love!

June 19, 2016 at 10:36 pm

Ms NerdyW, I am right pleased to be looking in after a long day of running around and to be met with all these utterly lovely pictures of a happy family! I THANK you. 🙂

24. 83 JER
    June 19, 2016 at 10:40 pm

• 85 idon
      June 19, 2016 at 11:04 pm

I’m a Warriors fan but I’m happy for them because it was 52 years since their last win. It’s a great moment

25. June 19, 2016 at 10:53 pm

26. June 19, 2016 at 10:57 pm

27. 91 Anjo
    June 19, 2016 at 10:59 pm

Thoughts, prayers and much love to CHIPS and family in this difficult time

June 19, 2016 at 11:03 pm

• 93 arapaho415
      June 19, 2016 at 11:13 pm

GE HF2.

😉

Something similar happened on a flight back to LAX for me — not a sports fan, don’t remember the game or the teams, but when we landed the entire plane said “Awww…” and the game immediately came back on. Thought it was pretty funny — and even though I’m not into sports there was just a few seconds left in the game (might have been football), and was curious how it would end.

29. June 19, 2016 at 11:11 pm

First Family back at the White House yet. Are they there yet?

30. June 19, 2016 at 11:16 pm

31. June 19, 2016 at 11:18 pm

Congratulations to King James 👑 😊

June 19, 2016 at 11:37 pm

33. 109 sjterrid
    June 19, 2016 at 11:54 pm

Happy Father’s Day to all the fathers here on TOD, and to President Obama and Vice President Biden.

34. 110 PrayerWarriorforObama
    June 20, 2016 at 12:11 am

So sorry to learn of Chips mom; pray fort God’s perpetual light to guide her to her eternal home, and His comforting arms to uphold Chips through this challenging time.

35. 111 PrayerWarriorforObama
    June 20, 2016 at 12:13 am

pray for

36. June 20, 2016 at 12:27 am

Ms Chips may you be blessed with peace and strength.

37. June 20, 2016 at 12:50 am

Thinking about Chips tonight and praying for a peaceful transition for her mother.

Chips ((((((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))))) and much, much, love!

June 20, 2016 at 1:13 am

Chips just replied to my mail and told that she will be back once her ordeal is over.

Let us send our wishes/prayers her and her mom’s way in the meantime and thank ut for doing such a wonderful job on her behalf just for us.

• 115 nathkatun7
      June 20, 2016 at 2:14 am

AMK, I wholeheartedly join you in prayers for chips and her beloved Mom! I hope she takes all the time she needs during this difficult time. Nerdy Wonka (aka UT) has done an incredible job filling in for Chips and keeping TOD running flawlessly! She truly deserves our deep thanks and appreciation for all she does for TOD.

• 116 MadameSoph
      June 20, 2016 at 4:00 am

Thanks, AMK.

Praying for Chips’ mom and sending love and strength to our dear Chips and a special hug for Danny, who probably can feel that his momma is going through a difficult time. {{{{Chips}}}} {{{{{Mom}}}} {{{Danny}}}

• June 20, 2016 at 7:49 am

Thank you for that update, amk.

These are the times when the love of friends, even friends one has never met, is so helpful. I hope Chips can feel all the love we have for her and her mom.

• 118 jackiegrumbacher
      June 20, 2016 at 8:00 am

AMK, thanks for the update. I would understand if Chips felt should needed a long time to recover, but I’m glad to hear she’s planning to come back. I appreciate your letting us know.

• 120 Nena20409
      June 20, 2016 at 12:46 pm

Thank You, Amk for bringing this latest News to Us.
      ❤ To Chips & Family.
      Your TOD Family is with You, Always.

39. 121 Titti
    June 20, 2016 at 6:24 am

Sending prayers for you and your family Chips at this difficult time. May your ma find peace whilst surrounded by the love, warmth and comfort of family as she transitions.

40. 122 sherijr
    June 20, 2016 at 6:32 am

oh my, just reading of Chip’s mom. I am so terribly sorry. Sending hugs, love and healing to you (((((Chips))))) (((((MamaChips))))).

41. 123 donna dem 4 obama
    June 20, 2016 at 6:32 am

Just catching up after a fun-filled, exciting weekend with the DC Travelers to read about the news from our beloved Chips. As someone who has gone through this experience I can only express to Chips that it may not feel like it at this moment but know that you are blessed to be in a position to be by her side as she transitions. I know how difficult these days are but know that you are loved and cared for by many strangers who only know you for the words and pictures to grace us with everyday. We send you our strength, thoughts and prayers. May God continue to bless you and your family.

• June 20, 2016 at 9:28 am

Donna, you’re right; it is a blessing for both Chips and her mother. It is difficult but such an act of love and a beautiful ‘repayment’ for all the love Chips’ mother has poured into her life.

I’m sorry I had to leave so early and did not have a chance to thank you for all the effort you put in to pulling off this wonderful trip. It was very hard to tear myself away from the breakfast table conversation yesterday, a table of sisters from the TOD family! It was the experience of a lifetime!

42. 125 nospin
    June 20, 2016 at 6:53 am

Chips, my prayers are with you and your family through this difficult time. I know she is thankful you are there as she prepares to take her transition journey, because if your love and care for TOD is even 1/10th an indication of the love you feel for Mom and the care you provide to her, I know she sees you and feels blessed.

Thank you for all you do and take all the time you need.

43. June 20, 2016 at 7:51 am

Given the news in this thread, I’ll just leave it for all of you, as you have time, to check the sidebar for updates on events happening elsewhere in the world.

Wishing a day filled with love for those your cherish …. bbl ….

44. 127 yardarm756
    June 20, 2016 at 8:14 am

Admiral Chips….Peace be with you.

45. June 20, 2016 at 8:19 am

Peace and comfort wished and prayed for you, Chips. May God hold you and your family in the palm of his hands as you travel this journey.
    We love you and will be praying for you.

• June 21, 2016 at 11:56 am

(((((((((((( Comforting hugs to Chips)))))))))))))). May you keep the memories of your lovely mother close to your heart, and may they keep your heart and mind peaceful.HZ

46. June 20, 2016 at 8:22 am

Prayers, Love and ((Chips)). Peace.

@POTUS