Jul

Early Bird Chat

US President Barack Obama (CL) walks with Spain's King Felipe VI on arrival at the Torrejon airbase near Madrid on July 9, 2016. Barack Obama began a shortened but symbolic first presidential trip to Spain Saturday, squeezing in a visit to a key ally before dashing home to deal with the aftermath of wrenching shooting in Dallas / AFP / PIERRE-PHILIPPE MARCOU (Photo credit should read PIERRE-PHILIPPE MARCOU/AFP/Getty Images)

US President Barack Obama (C) shakes hand with Spain's King Felipe VI on arrival at the Torrejon airbase near Madrid on July 9, 2016. Barack Obama began a shortened but symbolic first presidential trip to Spain Saturday, squeezing in a visit to a key ally before dashing home to deal with the aftermath of wrenching shooting in Dallas / AFP / PIERRE-PHILIPPE MARCOU (Photo credit should read PIERRE-PHILIPPE MARCOU/AFP/Getty Images)

President Barack Obama talks with Spain’s King Felipe VI on arrival at the Torrejon airbase near Madrid

MADRID, SPAIN - JULY 09: King Felipe VI of Spain (R) Receives US President Barack Obama (L) at the Torrejon Airport on July 09, 2016 in Madrid, Spain. President Obama arrived from the NATO summit in Warsaw and has reportedly had to shorten his first official visit to Spain after the Dallas shootings which killed five policemen on Thursday. (Photo by Carlos Alvarez/Getty Images)

US President Barack Obama (L) waves beside Spain's King Felipe VI on arrival at the Torrejon airbase near Madrid on July 9, 2016. Barack Obama began a shortened but symbolic first presidential trip to Spain Saturday, squeezing in a visit to a key ally before dashing home to deal with the aftermath of wrenching shooting in Dallas / AFP / PIERRE-PHILIPPE MARCOU (Photo credit should read PIERRE-PHILIPPE MARCOU/AFP/Getty Images)

US President Barack Obama (C) talks with Spain's King Felipe VI on arrival at the Torrejon airbase near Madrid on July 9, 2016. Barack Obama began a shortened but symbolic first presidential trip to Spain Saturday, squeezing in a visit to a key ally before dashing home to deal with the aftermath of wrenching shooting in Dallas / AFP / PIERRE-PHILIPPE MARCOU (Photo credit should read PIERRE-PHILIPPE MARCOU/AFP/Getty Images)

95 Responses to “Early Bird Chat”

1. 1 SUEDUVALLSMITH
    July 10, 2016 at 8:17 am

HAPPY SUNDAY MORNING ALL….GOOD TO SEE PBO IN SPAIN..IT WILL SOOTHE HS MIND TO SEE WHERE HIS DAUGHTER WILL BE..I FEEL FOR HIM,,<3

• 2 Judith Fardig
      July 10, 2016 at 11:48 am

Congratulations, Sue! You’re right about the extra benefit of visiting Spain. I wish everyone a peaceful Sunday.

July 10, 2016 at 8:18 am

Serena Williams should be savoured.

3. 6 Nerdy Wonka
    July 10, 2016 at 8:19 am

4. 9 SUEDUVALLSMITH
    July 10, 2016 at 8:21 am

HIS HEART ACHES ACTUALLY..BUT HE WILL NEVER SHOW IT..PARENTS CANNOT WHEN THEIR CHILDREN FLY…………………….

5. 10 SUEDUVALLSMITH
    July 10, 2016 at 8:24 am

AM GOING TO BE WEARING A DRESS STRAIGHT OUT OF AFRICA TODAY….THIS..MAKES ME SMILE..:)…..DEAR LORD..PLEASE STRENGTHEN AND WALK WITH OUR PRESIDENT ON THIS JOURNEY!,,,HE IS LOVED BY MANY AND ONLY ON LOAN!

6. July 10, 2016 at 8:54 am

Morning, Everyone

7. July 10, 2016 at 8:55 am

Harvard Law professor Charles Ogletree sees ‘blessing’ despite Alzheimer’s
    July 7, 2016

(RNS) A Harvard law professor who taught both President Obama and his wife, Michelle, told fellow members of the African Methodist Episcopal Church that his faith is helping him cope with a personal diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease.

“I’ve made up my mind to be thankful for what I have rather than focus on what I may lose,” an emotional Charles Ogletree said Tuesday (July 6) in his bicentennial message at a banquet where 3,000 people kicked off the 50th quadrennial General Conference of the denomination in Philadelphia.

“Nothing but the grace of God and faith enables me to respond this way

8. 16 MightyPamela
    July 10, 2016 at 8:56 am

Kings and Sheiks await the arrival of his plane. Because. ❤🕉

9. 17 JER
    July 10, 2016 at 8:57 am

Good Morning Everybody.

padthaiwok

10. July 10, 2016 at 9:05 am

In the Turmoil Over Race and Policing, Children Pay a Steep Emotional Price
    JULY 9, 2016

In the past week alone, there was the 4-year-old girl in Falcon Heights, Minn., who was captured on video consoling her mother after they watched a police officer shoot the mother’s boyfriend through the window of a car. And there was the 15-year-old boy in Baton Rouge, La., who sobbed uncontrollably in front of television cameras after the similar shooting death of his father.

Then there were the four brothers, ages 12 to 17, whose mother was shot by the sniper who opened fire on officers in Dallas on Thursday night while the family was protesting police violence against blacks. The mother, who survived, threw herself atop one boy, as the others ran for their lives.

……………………………………………………..

While adults around them protest and demand criminal justice reform, young witnesses of the carnage are reeling from their losses and harboring pent-up depression that often comes pouring out in panic attacks and breakdowns, relatives say.

The list of young people burdened by these tumultuous times includes Tamir Rice’s teenage sister, who lost 50 pounds after watching the police shoot him in 2014; the daughter of Oscar Grant III, killed by a transit officer while lying down on a California train platform in 2009, who as a 5-year-old would ask playmates to duck when she saw the police; and the 9-year-old nephew of Sandra Bland, who began sleeping in his mother’s room after Ms. Bland’s death last year in a jail cell.

11. July 10, 2016 at 9:13 am

12. 23 jackiegrumbacher
    July 10, 2016 at 9:26 am

Morning Nerdy and TODers and thanks Nerdy for starting the day. In my lifetime, peaceful protestors like deray would have been arrested and essentially disappeared without anyone knowing. No phone calls, no press attention and certainly no photos or videos. During the sixties, when demonstrations became larger, harder to ignore and strategically well planned, we began to see photos that humanized everything that was going on and showed vividly repulsive images of white hatred. But it’s not been until now–with smart phones and ubiquitous videos–that the whole system is being revealed in all its ugliness in such a way that no one can ignore it. So when people say–“why is this happening now?”–the truthful response is “Where have you been?” As gut wrenching and enraging as these images are to all of us, they are throwing light on the bigotry that thrives in the dark. It won’t stop the ugliness now, but as PBO said in his press conference, shining a light on the racist hatred is not only the best disinfectant, it begins the process of recognizing the problem and sets in “slow motion” the steps that will make this a better world for our grandchildren and great grandchildren. It’s hard to accept change at this glacial speed because we instinctively want action and we want it now. But we can’t stop trying or believing that change is possible. It’s essentially what PBO’s whole life has been about and what he hopes his legacy will be.

• 24 amk for obama
      July 10, 2016 at 9:43 am

Well said. The ugly under belly that has always been there is being exposed to the entire world only now.

July 10, 2016 at 10:59 am

JackieG, you have a gift for eloquently and solidly hitting the nail on the head that really appeals to me. Thank you so much for your willingness to share your thoughts and analyses with our community.

May your week ahead, and that of your older sis, be blessedly filled with awareness and love!

July 10, 2016 at 11:24 am

SPOT-ON Jackie! I can’t stand these hypocritical reporters who question PBO as if this all started during his Presidency. We know this has been going on for centuries, but the new technology is revealing what has been hidden…

• 28 Obama Grandmama
        July 10, 2016 at 12:43 pm

I am with you with the disgust for the reporters suggestion of the present racism shown is PBO’s fault. However, every time he is asked a question like that I am glad after hearing his answer that he was given a chance to set the record straight. So maybe those questions serve a purpose that we do not see in the moment.

• 29 Roberta in MN
      July 10, 2016 at 11:38 am

^1000 times. I can’t even tell you how sickened I am with all of this. I had a conversation with the lady that did my nails in Duluth, MN about this and we both agreed there us no justification for the deaths of these men. I was gob smacked that my sister actually said the woman in the car with Castile was faking her concern for her boyfriend and videoing it. I disputed that and she wouldn’t hear of it, she personifies “White Privilege”. I am just catching up on all the posts and comments.
      Thank you Nerdy for your complete coverage of President Obama’s trip to Poland. you always do such a great job and I am greatly appreciative of your time and effort to keep this place going forward every day.
      Chips, prayers and heartfelt concern for you and your family. I was at the Memorial for Amy’s husband yesterday and it was really tough. She is going to have a hard time, fortunately her siblings and Mom & Dad will be there and help her get through all the legal stuff that is going to happen. We were only missing one family member but all the rest of us were there for support. She is SWEETHEART. It was nice seeing all of our cousins and their kids but not under those circumstances. Saw my elderly Aunt and we have to still visit my Uncles on my Mother’ side of the family some time today or tomorrow. Sorry for the long post. Love you all to let me talk. (((hugs)))) to you all.

• 31 Obama Grandmama
      July 10, 2016 at 12:39 pm

Thank you for putting our history, and the present in perspective and capping it off with the thoughtful words of PBO.

13. 32 Ladyhawke
    July 10, 2016 at 9:32 am

July 10, 2016 at 9:39 am

Lewis wins 3rd consecutive british gp easily.
    FU mercedes ‘team’.

15. 35 JER
    July 10, 2016 at 9:43 am

President Obama Welcomed by Spain’s King Felipe VI

President Barack Obama arrived at Spain’s Royal Palace to meet with King Felipe VI, where they participated in a brief welcome ceremony. Obama apologized to the king for cutting his trip short after what he called a “difficult week” in the US. (July 10)

• July 10, 2016 at 9:54 am

thank you JER for all of your efforts to being us links and pics…thank you

• July 10, 2016 at 9:55 am

Thank you, JER. It’s difficult to see the President conflicted about his travels to do important business for the United States and to feel his heart so tugged to be home. I always trust he will do what is best and hope for a safe return.

16. July 10, 2016 at 9:53 am

Thank you NW…for the fantabulous post….thank you for your tireless efforts…

17. July 10, 2016 at 9:56 am

Feeling this very much this morning…

I’m HERE!

July 10, 2016 at 11:11 am

I watched that, thank you for sharing, Pf. I’m happy to say ‘I’m here’ along with you.

• July 10, 2016 at 2:36 pm

thank you VC….how is your son doing?

July 10, 2016 at 3:02 pm

He’s fine, TY, PF. He’s off to another one of those Sunday all-day-hangout with friends! They go to church, then out to lunch, then to hang out at a home etc. etc.!!!!! [Drives me ‘bonkers’ actually as I don’t see the need.]

• July 10, 2016 at 3:29 pm

lolol….it is a good thang

July 10, 2016 at 3:42 pm

I guess, except I have this feeling he might overstay his welcome. :/
              (Being a home body myself) I keep trying to point out that you shouldn’t hang out at anyone’s house for too long. All I get in response is that it’s not a problem; I worry too much; they’d say something if they minded; etc. etc. ( 😉 Of course, the latter is based on the fact that *I* generally give him a time limit (for them) when our house is the rendez-vous point.)

18. July 10, 2016 at 10:04 am

Good morning TOD folks! Nerdy and all contributors, thank you for covering every thing. Great pictures, great stories, great follow up.

19. 49 Don
    July 10, 2016 at 10:05 am

Yesterday my wife half-jokingly said to me that maybe I shouldn’t leave the house. I remember when I was a kid living in Miami and while the riots were going on over the acquittal of white police officers for the killing of a black insurance salesman, my mom told my brother and I not to go outside, not even to the back yard. The riots in Miami happened in 1980, my wife joking with me about staying home happened yesterday.

20. 50 carolyn
    July 10, 2016 at 10:13 am

Looking at the video of President Obama and King Felipe, made me think of how much world leaders are going to miss PBO. THEY know he is a steady hand at the wheel, and they know what he has worked for and accomplished these past years. Sometimes I feel he has held the world together all by himself these past years. I am so thankful for him.

21. 54 99ts
    July 10, 2016 at 10:28 am

gm TOD. Stay safe & keep your loved ones close. Past sleep time in my world.

July 10, 2016 at 10:36 am

The kings and queens come out to welcome President Obama.

I’m good. Mornin’.

23. July 10, 2016 at 10:42 am

The US house response to the shooting in Dallas. A grant for all police departments to support them in times of need?
    Now, I just heard on MTP, booker and corker mention this as well….
    So… The ONLY response US congress will have to all this violence in this country… Is to spend money on the police?
    Lol lmao
    Really?
    👎👎👎👀

• 58 amk for obama
      July 10, 2016 at 10:54 am

what next? the police will be allowed to call in an artillery strike on the protestors? redenculous responses.

• 59 catrst
      July 10, 2016 at 12:29 pm

I don’t know what the proposed legislation looks like but one thing that needs to stop is using the police to fund public functions instead of using a solid tax base. In the wake of libertarian/Bircher policies taxes have been altered so that the poor are paying in the form of frivolous fines and seizures. Its a vicious cycle. I would like to see that end and police to be paid fairly. If police are tempted to corruption because they are underpaid its bad for all of us. Training is important and should be ongoing. This is a complicated job. Being able to attract really good candidates is also essential. We should never scrape the bottom of the barrel because no one wants the job. Rape kits and other forensic tools should be funded as a guarantee to the public of good and proper policing.

I can think of lots of things that need to be funded adequately to address the issues at hand. I know it doesn’t give accountability to victims but it may help bring us to the best practices we need for all our sakes. Rule of law fairly and professionally enforced is good for everyone in every community. When that breaks down we are all hurt.

July 10, 2016 at 10:55 am

via bj

25. July 10, 2016 at 11:15 am

Happy Sunday TODers!!

Thank you, Nerdy.

((((((((((((Chips))))))))))

26. 63 JER
    July 10, 2016 at 11:17 am

In the CNN interview Sunday, Brown said of Johnson, “I think that this killer had some delusions.” He cited “rambling” statements in a journal recovered from his home…

27. July 10, 2016 at 11:18 am

28. July 10, 2016 at 11:21 am

G’morning Nerdy & TOD. I wish everyone a peaceful and safe Sunday.

29. July 10, 2016 at 11:25 am

Focus on the CAUSE of #DeathByGun ….

That’s the ONLY way to cure the epidemic of #DeathByGun …

July 10, 2016 at 11:25 am

WTF

31. July 10, 2016 at 11:33 am

Exquisite gift for an exquisite man.

32. July 10, 2016 at 11:56 am

33. July 10, 2016 at 11:59 am

For real!!!

34. July 10, 2016 at 12:03 pm

July 10, 2016 at 12:11 pm

out of the two journeymen, one wins the W. ugh.

36. 89 Don
    July 10, 2016 at 12:18 pm

Negroes, sweet and docile
    Meek, humble, and kind
    Beware the day, they change their mind

Langston hughes

“Nonviolence is a powerful and just weapon, which cuts without wounding and ennobles the man who wields it. It is a sword that heals”

MLK

Two powerful quotes from two great men.

37. July 10, 2016 at 12:21 pm

POTUS to speak to servicemen at 12:30pm

38. 93 Don
    July 10, 2016 at 12:36 pm

FYI-Philando Castile was stopped 52 times by the police over the last 14 years. Yes, 52 times. “The stops — averaging one every four months dating back to George Bush’s first year in the White House — resulted in 86 violations, the Associated Press reported.” Yep, that right there is the money quote.

July 10, 2016 at 1:03 pm

I remember reading this a long time ago….came back to me because of recent events.

The paper presents highlights of racial profiling in policing and opinion on recent research, specifically traffic stops.
    Abstract: The study found that there had been an overall significant reduction in the arrest of Hispanic racial/ethnic groups traveling on Interstate 10 in Louisiana by State Police (LSP) in the Troop I jurisdiction. Arrest data on eastbound travelers, however, were noted to still be higher than normal, primarily from enforcement efforts targeting drug trafficking in that direction. The data communicated a change in policing methods regarding race, and evidence demonstrated an improvement of methods within Troop I, but it was also noted that certain breaches of ethics and integrity among LSP troopers assigned to Troop I was still alive and active along this stretch of the interstate. It was noted that racial profiling continued to be a hotbed of controversy for both law enforcement officers and citizens, particularly in Louisiana. This study revisited the work of Ruiz and Woessner (2006) regarding the prevalence of racial and demographic profiling along Louisiana’s Interstate 10 corridor. A comparison was made with the original results of that study to Troop I arrest statistics over the last 10 years. Prior research had indicated impropriety on the use of Troop I’s profiling and arrest techniques that frequently resulted in the seizure of contraband and assets. Data were taken from arrest reports filed by the Louisiana State Police and the St. Martin Parish Sheriff’s Office. T

@POTUS