Jul

The President’s Day

WASHINGTON, DC - JULY 13: U.S. President Barack Obama pauses during a conversation on community policing and criminal justice July 13, 2016 at Eisenhower Executive Office Building in Washington, DC. President Obama hosted a conversation with activists, civil rights, faith, law enforcement and elected leaders from around the country on ways can "keep people safe, build community trust, and ensure justice for all Americans." (Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC - JULY 13: U.S. President Barack Obama (C) speaks during a conversation on community policing and criminal justice July 13, 2016 at Eisenhower Executive Office Building in Washington, DC. President Obama hosted a conversation with activists, civil rights, faith, law enforcement and elected leaders from around the country on ways can "keep people safe, build community trust, and ensure justice for all Americans." (Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images)

President Barack Obama speaks during a conversation on community policing and criminal justice

Black Lives Matter activist Mica Grimm (R) listens beside New Haven Police Chief Dean Esserman (L) during a discussion on community policing and criminal justice at the Eisenhower Executive Office Building, next to the White House, on July 13, 2016 in Washington, DC. / AFP / MANDEL NGAN (Photo credit should read MANDEL NGAN/AFP/Getty Images)

Black Lives Matter activist Mica Grimm listens beside New Haven Police Chief Dean Esserman

US President Barack Obama speaks during a discussion on community policing and criminal justice in the Eisenhower Executive Office Building, next to the White House, on July 13, 2016 in Washington, DC. From left are: Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti; President and Director-Counsel of the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund Sherrilyn Ifill; Chief Terry Cuningham of the International Association of Chiefs of Police; President Obama. / AFP / MANDEL NGAN (Photo credit should read MANDEL NGAN/AFP/Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC - JULY 13: U.S. President Barack Obama (R) speaks as Terry Cunningham (L) of International Association of Chiefs of Police listens during a conversation on community policing and criminal justice July 13, 2016 at Eisenhower Executive Office Building in Washington, DC. President Obama hosted a conversation with activists, civil rights, faith, law enforcement and elected leaders from around the country on ways can "keep people safe, build community trust, and ensure justice for all Americans." (Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images)

85 Responses to “The President’s Day”

1. 1 Dudette
    July 13, 2016 at 10:00 pm

❤️❤️❤️

2. July 13, 2016 at 10:03 pm

Good Evening, Everyone 🙂

3. 4 Dudette
    July 13, 2016 at 10:03 pm

4. July 13, 2016 at 10:03 pm

Haven’t we been saying this….

CON MAN GRIFTER

July 13, 2016 at 10:17 pm

This is what we’ve been waiting for – somebody formerly from the inside of the Trump organization who finally will talk. Of course, whether it’ll make a difference among the stupid RWNJs or not – not likely.

5. 8 Dudette
    July 13, 2016 at 10:04 pm

• 9 SUEDUVALLSMITH
      July 14, 2016 at 5:52 am

PEOPLE NEED TO UNDERSTAND THAT POTUS ALSO HAS A FAMILY..HE HAS CHILDREN HE IS CONCERNED ABOUT AND THEIR FUTURES…WHY ON EARTH WOULD HE NOT CARE?

6. 10 Dudette
    July 13, 2016 at 10:05 pm

7. 11 Dudette
    July 13, 2016 at 10:06 pm

8. July 13, 2016 at 10:06 pm

“In an exclusive video for Mic, Alicia Keys, Rihanna, Common, Chris Rock, Taraji P. Henson and others describe the mundane actions that cost black Americans their lives. Watch below: Philando Castile was not a martyr. He was an ordinary 32-year-old black man who fed children for a living and hoped to make it home after work on Wednesday. He didn’t. That’s what I kept thinking last Thursday when I woke up and logged onto Facebook, where a Facebook Live video showing Castile dying in the driver’s seat of a car had started going viral. Castile was with his girlfriend, Diamond Reynolds, and her 4-year-old daughter when Minnesota police officers stopped them. According to Reynolds’ gripping, livestreamed account, Castile told the officer, later identified as Jeronimo Yanez, that he was a licensed gun owner and had a firearm in the car. Then Castile reached for his wallet. The officer — out of fear, confusion, nerves — pumped four shots into him.

9. 19 Dudette
    July 13, 2016 at 10:22 pm

10. July 13, 2016 at 10:24 pm

11. 23 Dudette
    July 13, 2016 at 10:28 pm

12. July 13, 2016 at 10:30 pm

Don’t know if this has been posted (been out of the loop) but take a second to see this remarkable video from activist Jane Elliott, famous for the “Blue eyes–Brown eyes” exercises

• 25 Dudette
      July 13, 2016 at 11:56 pm

Yep I posted a couple of Ms. Elliot’s videos a couple days ago including this first one. Powerful work from an amazing woman. Thanks for highlighting it today.

• 26 catrst
        July 14, 2016 at 8:08 am

I bought the original film called The Divided Classroom on vhs tape so that tells you how long ago it was. I used it to teach my children. There was something extraordinary in the original of the very young children who were all white. Eye color was truly the only difference in that early simulation. Children who had played together the day before were mistreating one another after the simulation and within hours. They were aware they were making this up but they were not able to keep the messages of discrimination from effecting their treatment of one another. When Ms Eliot flipped the groups and began discrimination against the opposite eye color and you could see how quickly it took effect. It was profound. I think that is an important message. It is about what we say, and the message we send. Fox News are you listening? Trump?

Also in the college example given in the above film she points out that “liberals” are fond of declaring they have no prejudice and then dismissing the experience of the victims of discrimination. That part was an important message in and of itself. Makes me think in this time frame of the Bernie Sanders campaign and the treatment of our President by persons on the left.

In the Divided Classroom there is a portion filmed with the staff of a prison as the attendees. One point they bring out is that prejudice means that when you speak out against it, the power structure determines that resistance to confirm their original prejudice. Standing up is not seen as positive but as trouble making and further reason to drill down on prejudice. I wish that part could be singled out right now and shown to a larger audience. The protests are seen that way by those that cannot confront their bigotry.

July 13, 2016 at 10:32 pm

14. 28 GGAIL
    July 13, 2016 at 10:38 pm

Even though Chips isn’t here, we still should be mindful and respect her rule about posting extremely long comment/articles. Post some and insert the link please.

• 29 Nerdy Wonka
      July 13, 2016 at 10:44 pm

Thanks for the heads up, GGail.

• July 13, 2016 at 10:56 pm

I was posting public transcripts if you were referring to my post on the ESPY video….there were only two paragraphs from the actual article in the other post b/c I’m well aware of Chips wishes and WordPress policies (the links are in the tweet too)….all good though 🙂

• 32 GGail
        July 13, 2016 at 11:06 pm

If you want to be helpful and contribute, then work with NW on a time that you can post a new Thread. I’m sure she would appreciate a break every now and again 🙂

15. July 13, 2016 at 11:00 pm

July 13, 2016 at 11:04 pm

Love that!

• 38 Dudette
      July 13, 2016 at 11:15 pm

• 39 catrst
        July 14, 2016 at 7:55 am

I missed Samuel Alito’s comments about Barack Obama’s election. That is taking hate speech and trying to make it seem high and mightly. I’ve watched him and his body language is so filled with resentment and hate. I would not want to be him. Compare the body language of Barack Obama. Open hearted, compassionate, capable of joy and appreciation of his fellow men. Merrick Garland is like that too. Prayers for his confirmation in the near future.

• 40 cd4biden
      July 14, 2016 at 11:45 am

Dudette you made my heart sing this morning! I so love RBG and the role model that she is for so many of us. Especially when this is right after the videos of our dear VPOTUS posted by lp. Thank you to both of you for getting my crazy morning off to a glorious start. And I hope everyone at TOD has a wonderful day today.

16. 42 Dudette
    July 13, 2016 at 11:09 pm

17. 43 Dudette
    July 13, 2016 at 11:14 pm

18. 44 Dudette
    July 13, 2016 at 11:16 pm

19. 45 Dudette
    July 13, 2016 at 11:19 pm

20. July 13, 2016 at 11:23 pm

21. July 13, 2016 at 11:35 pm

This s#^+ has got to end. Twice in the past week, my family and friends have been directly affected by gun violence.

On 4th of July, young man from the next town over was murdered in Chester. This guy was a teacher in the worse school district in my county. Stand up dude, friend to all; admired by youngsters, peers, and elders. Why?

This Monday night, three teens, walking home from a basketball game were shot; one died, the other two are still hospitalized. The 15 year old that died was a close friend of one of my young cousins — he is just absolutely devastated. Ty was a great kid, smart, talented, going places. He was an outstanding student at Boy’s Latin School. Why?

• 48 Dudette
      July 14, 2016 at 12:05 am

So sorry to hear of these young lives lost to gun violence. It just makes no sense that this continues to happen. My heart goes out to their families, to your family and the whole community that is traumatized by these murders. Hoping for real & lasting solutions to come soon.

22. 49 Dudette
    July 13, 2016 at 11:39 pm

• 50 Don
      July 13, 2016 at 11:48 pm

Poor guy, so unlucky, he’s the one that got caught, there are hundreds if not thousands of people that tweet or post fucked up shit on twitter and or Facebook and get away with it. But now this guy has to explain to his family and friends why he got fired. He didn’t get fired for embezzling money or running a Ponzi scheme or stealing hubcaps. This asshole gets fired for saying that a bunch of people should get bombed. The guy had one job, not to do or say something fucked up, poor guy.

• 51 99ts
      July 14, 2016 at 3:49 am

I often wonder about these people who “get fired”. Never hear about them again. I’m sure the LE find someplace else to give them a job & maybe media folks do the same. I doubt they are unemployed for long

• July 14, 2016 at 9:00 am

So this guy is a news producer, somebody who comes up with the images and words you see in your daily news feed. Hmmmmm, sounds like he’s a biased angry white guy. LIKE ALL THE OTHER HIDEOUS NEWS BUREAUS.

23. 53 Don
    July 13, 2016 at 11:40 pm

Its been a long day, goodnight all.

24. July 13, 2016 at 11:41 pm

Not a dry eye in this house! Pretty much all that’s on our local news (along with Peyton Manning, Pat Summit and Eric Berry). However, this story–I don’t even have words. Beyond proud and in awe of his mother. She has a platform and good for her for using it!

25. 56 MightyPamela
    July 13, 2016 at 11:41 pm

“honest, productive, truthful, and a marathon”… could certainly describe our President precisely. His two terms have been a marathon, to say the least. ❤🕉💞🕉❤

26. 58 Dudette
    July 13, 2016 at 11:50 pm

27. 59 MightyPamela
    July 14, 2016 at 12:08 am

{{{{{ TOD }}}}}

28. 60 Dudette
    July 14, 2016 at 12:16 am

Now this is some creepy shit. Wonder if the guy is really FBI or just faking. Either way, scary.

• 61 Dudette
      July 14, 2016 at 12:20 am

• 62 Dudette
      July 14, 2016 at 12:25 am

• 63 Dudette
      July 14, 2016 at 12:28 am

July 14, 2016 at 12:59 am

This does NOT seem right to me. Haven’t followed the story, but I’m hoping they’ve called the FBI directly, asking for a meeting with the special agent in charge for the area. The FBI investigates – it does not go out in advance and tell people not to attend a protest or event. At least I don’t think so.

And if this is fake, it’s SERIOUS – as you have intimated, of course.

July 14, 2016 at 12:33 am

Well NerdyW, I went through the President’s Day and the comments here and now feel a little topsy-turvy mentally. Don’t know what that means, but I’m signing off to reflect on my topsy-turviness. 🙂 Good Night, all.

NW >> Thank you for all your work in the village today.

DannyO >> I miss you and hope you are well and sticking close to CC.

Chips Chica >> We are with you in thought *every single day*! In fact, if you remember all our different time zones, one or more of us is sending positive thoughts your way every moment of every day. Be blessed!

TODobots >> sweet dreams.

30. 68 Dudette
    July 14, 2016 at 12:33 am

31. 69 Dudette
    July 14, 2016 at 12:40 am

Wisdom beyond her years

32. 70 Dudette
    July 14, 2016 at 12:44 am

33. 71 Gazelle
    July 14, 2016 at 2:00 am

NW, magnificent posts as always, lifted me up seeing PBO smiles, super photos, etc. Hi TODers, sorry I’ve been a little away. Had to figure my way out of these recent tragedies. Anyhoo, hope you don’t mind, I’m just going to drop my poem right here. Good night, hope to catch you all tomorrow! 🙂

Children in search of Refuge

As a child, a refugee child,
    My Mama taught me Caution.
    Run from the marauders of the streets,
    Especially those carrying guns
    Beyond their natural height.
    Run from machete wielding persona.
    Run from The Toothless Angered,
    They’re mastered by the powers du jour.
    Run for dear life.
    If speed is of essence,
    Drop your school books upon the dusty path,
    Run!
    Make it home,
    To your Mama’s anxious arms.
    Pray you do,
    And live another hour.

As a child, an American child,
    The ghosts of yonder history hovered.
    Waiting their turn to fully manifest,
    Yet again.

My Mama taught me,
    Before I was double digits,
    To be cautious out there.
    The marauders, the ghosts, the egregious,
    The Toothless Angered
    Will menace my being.
    Don’t run for dear life.
    Learn to stay still.

There is nowhere to run.
    Nowhere to stay still,
    Except in shocked death.
    No school books dropped on a dusty road,
    They lay stained in unrequited blood along the school hallway.
    Bullet strewn sidewalks splatter my paths.
    The Toothless Angered
    Are again mastered,
    The daily Puppets of Avarice.

Sanctuary is a scarcity in my universe
    While The Toothless Angered,
    With ample, unjustified impunity,
    Continue to menace my being.

Pray I make it home Today, and all Tomorrows,
    To my Mama’s anxious arms,
    So I can hug her.
    And just once, of many more, say
    I love you Always.

July 14, 2016 at 2:28 am

I was totally caught up in it, and pulled along with it, trying to catch my breath by the time I finished it. Wow. Thank you for sharing.

• 73 Gazelle
        July 14, 2016 at 2:54 am

Awww, JB! Thank you so much for your lovely words. I felt so deeply about what’s going on and especially its effect on the young. Then in talking to my son, we discussed the juxtaposition between all children worldwide seeking refuge. A place of safety. One can actually experience the same trauma as a refugee without being classified as one. By this, I mean the anxiety of livelihood, the safety of one’s being is one of the indicators of that experience. The worry of never being sure you’ll get home that day. It’s a huge problem for both the kids and the parents in socio-politico conflict areas worldwide. Now we have to acknowledge the same here in US.

I pray We The People send those critters back under the rock they crawled from under! And into oblivion.

Peace xoxo!

July 14, 2016 at 10:24 am

Tears are welling up again, this morning. I plan to share your words here – and your poem – with a few friends, as we all seek understanding. Peace!

• 75 Gazelle
            July 14, 2016 at 7:50 pm

Awww.JB! One day they will be tears of joy! We will all be riding “First Class” through life. Many hugs to you from me!

July 14, 2016 at 8:17 pm

Hugs right back to you, Gazelle. And, in many ways, especially here together on TOD, we’re already riding First Class!!!!

34. July 14, 2016 at 8:15 am

Good morning TOD 🙂

Take care everyone …. {{{{{Chips}}}}}

• July 14, 2016 at 8:22 am

And, of course, Happy Bastille Day 🙂

• 79 CEB
      July 14, 2016 at 9:37 am

My only problem with the wording of the petition that starts with “tell President Obama and Congress.” Everyone knows that PBO has reasoned, argued, wept, and done all that he can (and is still doing even as I speak) through the powers of his office (people forget that we have a three-pronged separation of powers) related to ending police brutality, equality, and gun control. This petition should be focused squarely on Congress, especially the House Republicans and the Governors.

35. July 14, 2016 at 8:55 am

Paul Ryan: ‘This is not the Democratic Party of the mid-1990s’
    07/13/16 12:49 PM—UPDATED 07/13/16 01:07 PM
    By Steve Benen
    House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) participated in a town-hall forum last night, and CNN’s Jake Tapper asked a good question: is Ryan prepared to work with a President Hillary Clinton, should she win in November? Here’s his response:

“Well, I’ll certainly try. The point I’d say is, this is not the Democratic Party of the mid-1990s…. This is the liberal progressive party of Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren and, yes, Hillary Clinton.

“I think Hillary Clinton is a very liberal progressive. They have moved far, far, far to the left. And so in the 1990s, there was a little more overlap between the two parties and more room for common ground.”

This is the sort of assessment that many Beltway pundits will probably like, because it reinforces the agreed-upon narrative that both parties are always to blame for all things, even when that doesn’t make any sense. Sure, the argument goes, Republicans are more conservative, but Democrats have moved “far, far, far to the left.” If only today’s Dems were more like ’90s-era Dems, just imagine the wonderful bipartisan compromises we’d see!

• July 14, 2016 at 9:03 am

I can’t even with these people. They are committing suicide in public and they want to rag on liberal progressives who get actual stuff done? They’ve jumped the shark so many times it’s a crime.

36. July 14, 2016 at 8:56 am

A lot of these polls have incredibly high undecided .. Nbc poll yesterday in Ohio tied @ 39%.

That’s 22% undecided 4 months from the election?

Is Johnson and stein going to get the other 22% or something?

Unreal! 😩

37. July 14, 2016 at 8:59 am

Opioid bill to become law, but not without grumbling
    07/14/16 08:40 AM
    By Steve Benen

The good news is, Congress has approved legislation addressing an important issue, and with bipartisan backing, the policy is on its way to becoming law. The bad news is, the bill should have been a whole lot better.

Congress sent President Barack Obama a compromise bill Wednesday aimed at curbing abuse of heroin and other drugs, a nationwide epidemic that kills more than 100 Americans every day.

The overwhelming 92-2 Senate vote comes just days before the seven-week congressional break. It was a welcome political development for vulnerable Republicans such as Ohio’s Rob Portman and New Hampshire’s Kelly Ayotte, who pushed for the measure before they faced constituents.

This same bill passed the House by a similar margin a few days ago. As the New York Times’ report explained, the measure intends to “strengthen prevention, treatment and recovery efforts, largely by empowering medical professionals and law enforcement officials with more tools to help drug addicts. It would also expand access to a drug that emergency medical workers could use to help reverse overdoses and improve treatment for the incarcerated.”

The White House announced that President Obama will sign the bill, but the administration isn’t exactly thrilled with the way the legislation turned out. “Congressional Republicans have not done their jobs until they provide the funding for treatment that communities need to combat this epidemic,” the White House said in a written statement.

The process wasn’t supposed to work this way. As regular readers may recall, in March, the Senate approved the Comprehensive Addiction and Recovery Act (CARA) on a 94-to-1 vote. Stakeholders assumed the bipartisan package was well on its way.

It wasn’t. The GOP-led House said the Senate bill invested too much in prevention, and not enough in enforcement, so the lower chamber went its own way. Both chambers eventually passed their own competing alternatives, and the resulting compromise is what is now headed to the Oval Office for a signature.

July 14, 2016 at 9:05 am

Morning everyone! Happy Thursday….Gazelle! Amazing poem…amazing! Thank you so much for your voice….You and Boomer have gifts:)
    Remember these names comes November! Rat**ckers. Honesty…what was their rationale? Oh, wait…

@POTUS