Jul

All Who Want To Serve Are Welcome. Thanks, President Obama

obama

Helene Cooper: Pentagon Set To Lift Ban On Transgender People Serving In U.S. Military

The Pentagon next month will announce the repeal of a policy banning transgender people from serving openly in the military, Defense Department officials said on Friday, moving to end what has widely been seen as one of the last barriers to service. Defense Secretary Ashton B. Carter has called the regulation outdated and harmful to the military. A year ago, he directed officials from all the military branches to determine what changes would be needed to lift the ban, in a tacit recognition that thousands of transgender people were already in uniform. Under the Pentagon’s plan, first reported by USA Today, each branch will put in place policies covering recruiting, housing and uniforms for transgender troops.

Ashley Broadway-Mack, the president of the American Military Partner Association, a support network for partners and spouses of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender troops and veterans, said in a statement that “our transgender service members and their families are breathing a huge sigh of relief.” Estimates of the number of transgender people in the 1.2 million-member military range from 2,000 to more than 15,000. As with the “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy that applied to gay men, lesbians and bisexuals until it was lifted in 2011, current rules have done little to keep transgender people out of the military. Instead, they have forced many to lie about their status and keep it a secret. Since taking the defense secretary post in February 2015, Mr. Carter has set about dismantling discriminatory rules in the services, including opening all combat positions to women. This week, Eric K. Fanning formally took over as Army secretary, becoming the first openly gay leader of a military service branch.

More here

20090407_obamahugsthesoldiers_560x425

WHITE HOUSE PHOTO-PRESIDENT OBAMA MILITARY PITTSBURGH-PETE SOUZA

t1largobamatroops

ObamaGallery4

la-oe-mcmanus-column-wars-obama-romney-2012071-001

U.S. troops react as they shake hands with the President. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

President Barack Obama hugs a soldier as he greets military personnel at Camp Victory in Baghdad, Iraq, Tuesday, April 7, 2009. (AP Photo/Charles Dharapak)

president-shares-a-fist-bump-in-afghanistan-march-28-2010

142 Responses to “All Who Want To Serve Are Welcome. Thanks, President Obama”

1. 1 GGail
    July 23, 2016 at 2:30 pm

Thanks!

2. 6 GGail
    July 23, 2016 at 2:31 pm

Commander-in-Chief can bring even military personnel to tears ❤

3. 7 Nerdy Wonka
    July 23, 2016 at 2:32 pm

• 8 amk for obama
      July 23, 2016 at 2:36 pm

Great choice. Great Expectations. Fulfilled.

• 9 GGail
      July 23, 2016 at 2:41 pm

Great tweets NW and yes, Tim was very excited and genuine. I think he will be able to hold his own in the debates. He knows facts and solutions for the future.

4. 10 Ladyhawke
    July 23, 2016 at 2:35 pm

• 11 catrst
      July 24, 2016 at 10:26 am

In a strange way Trump selected a nemesis. By putting a Koch brothers, Bircher in line for this much power he has really confused the Putin “business” interests. Virulently anticommunist Birchers have no desire to support Putin. This is very messed up and its going to get worse. Cruz was one plan B, trying to smear Trump to his face at the convention. Who knows what else can happen in the GOP at this point.

July 23, 2016 at 2:39 pm

July 23, 2016 at 2:40 pm

7. 14 globalcitizenlinda
    July 23, 2016 at 2:42 pm

heads up to the few BS people who are still not clear about the unflinching and most reliable base of the Democratic Party:

• 15 Judith Fardig
      July 23, 2016 at 2:46 pm

Hear hear! Kaine is not a part-time Christian. He’s the real deal but with the smarts to keep church and state separated.

8. 16 Don
    July 23, 2016 at 2:44 pm

Can you imagine being transgendered and wanting to serve your country but can’t? In President Obama’s time in office DADT has been tossed onto the trash pile of history, and now our transgendered brothers and sisters can now serve. The strength it took President Obama and his administration to get the military to this point in history is one for the ages, but with President Obama are we even shocked anymore at what he can accomplish.

9. 19 57andfemale
    July 23, 2016 at 2:47 pm

July 23, 2016 at 7:17 pm

And Mrs. Kaine’s father put his children (including her) in majority-African-American schools to help integrate them, as Governor and (I believe) when he was still a Republican.

10. 21 globalcitizenlinda
    July 23, 2016 at 2:53 pm

11. 24 globalcitizenlinda
    July 23, 2016 at 2:54 pm

• 25 arapaho415
      July 23, 2016 at 4:45 pm

GA GCL.

Only heard the end of Kaine’s speech today — surprisingly it was aired in its entirety on my local CBS affiliate radio station @knx1070, which has pretty much been Trump’s #1 cheerleader (gag).

Fired up, after only hearing the end of his speech and seeing Twitter responses.

• 26 jackiegrumbacher
        July 23, 2016 at 9:10 pm

Arapaho, Kaine did an absolutely brilliant job and he showed the kind of deep love and friendship for Hillary that Joe Biden has for PBO. That special bond and deep respect between them really touched me.

• 27 Obama Grandmama
          July 23, 2016 at 11:39 pm

It is like PBO modeled Presidential good choices and Hillary listened, saw and learned from his actions. I like that!

12. 28 JER
    July 23, 2016 at 3:08 pm

July 23, 2016 at 3:09 pm

well, it’s been a great week for us and a great start for GE. let’s do this and throw out the bums and mean it.

• 30 HZ
      July 23, 2016 at 3:22 pm

Amen, amk. Did anyone get the email through POB about HC choosing Tim Kaine. Great. I just gave my first donation. I remember how we as a TOD family moved with generous and faithful giving for POB. It was so much fun and commitment on our part. Let us take our marching orders today in that beautiful email I just received. Do as your heart leads you personally. I love my TOD family. Have a wonderful Sat., TODers. HZ

• 31 GGail
        July 23, 2016 at 3:53 pm

Hi there HZ. I made my donation last night. Yes, we must contribute what we can to help up and down the ticket. Love you HZ ❤

• 32 HZ
          July 23, 2016 at 4:17 pm

(((((((((Love you GGail))))))))))). Hope all is well with you in the heat. Stay cool my love.HZ

• 33 GGail
            July 23, 2016 at 4:31 pm

You stay cool too HZ. And remember, jojo & I live in the Pasadena & Monrovia area, so if you need anything, just let us know {{{HZ}}}

• 34 HZ
              July 23, 2016 at 5:20 pm

((((((Oh, your generous caring and loving support , I do appreciative))))))). You and jojo live in two of my favorites cities. We are very close to each other. I will remember that GGail.

• 35 nathkatun7
        July 23, 2016 at 7:54 pm

Hello HZ, thanks for comment. I got the e-mail from my President and donated right away. As I wrote yesterday on another thread, Hillary Clinton picked an an excellent VP. Sen. Kaine is a good man and a smart politician who cares about improving the lives of others. I am so happy more and more people who were not enthused by his selection are now changing their minds after they’ve heard him speak. We have a strong team. Now Let’s go out and work as hard as we can to win this election. We cannot, and must not, allow the megalomaniac, Donald Trump, to be the president of this country.

• 36 HZ
          July 23, 2016 at 8:57 pm

Hi Nath. So good see you. Hope all is well. Great to hear that you did receive the email from our POTUS. I concur, we must defeat DT. Making our donations are a must to do this. I believe we can do this again. HZ

14. 37 Nena20409
    July 23, 2016 at 3:11 pm

15. 39 JER
    July 23, 2016 at 3:11 pm

16. 40 Nena20409
    July 23, 2016 at 3:16 pm

17. 41 JER
    July 23, 2016 at 3:16 pm

18. 46 JER
    July 23, 2016 at 3:18 pm

19. 49 Nena20409
    July 23, 2016 at 3:18 pm

20. July 23, 2016 at 3:23 pm

Luvvie has commented on the present state of affairs.

The Devil is a Walking Cheeto Running for President
    Awesomely Luvvie — July 22, 2016

The Devil doesn’t wear Prada. He wears a self-branded suit that’s made in China as he rails against immigrants and threatens to build a Wall as if anyone who isn’t American is a White Walker. The Long Night is here. Note: I’m sorry but there are just too many Game of Thrones parallels in this election cycle.

We knew this was happening. But for it to really happen, it’s like “oh so this is the gateway to hell.” I see. Where is the beast we were threatened with? Well, that squirrel-wig adorned monster, Donald Trump, is the official Republican nominee for President. The man who folks laughed at when he declared he was even running in the first place. The man who folks said would not get far in the race. That man beat the rest and stood on a stage and proudly accepted his presidential nomination.

……………………………………………….

And that ignoramus accepted by giving a speech that was full of lies, thinly veiled racism, islamophobia, more lies, and just overall nutbaggery. The man is a power-hungry sociopath and I am more frightened than ever that he will get into the White House and we are all doomed.

21. 51 FoxfireTX
    July 23, 2016 at 3:29 pm

Totally thrilled with Tim Kaine. His first appearance had me in tears when he told the story of his memories from VTech shooting. Well done Hillary! Let’s do this! So looking forward to the convention this week after the dreadful spectacle last week. Could not believe the Trump name in 15 foot letters on that stage. That is ALL this about for Trump, another branding opportunity. Sick.

22. 52 MightyPamela
    July 23, 2016 at 3:34 pm

I have a question: what options are there for those ‘middle-of-the-road’ repugs, who have been less than comfortable with TheWorthlessOne, but feel they need to vote GOP, knowing in their hearts it will be the worst worldwide disaster ever. Can they choose otherwise, change parties, what?

• 53 globalcitizenlinda
      July 23, 2016 at 4:20 pm

Dems need to openly reach out to them to put party affiliation apart and put the future of their country first. a few will listen to this plea

23. 54 Debz
    July 23, 2016 at 3:40 pm

I wanted Tim Kaine to be PBO’s VP. As it turned out Joe Biden was his best choice. I’m happy Hillary chose Kaine as her VP.

• 55 HZ
      July 23, 2016 at 4:23 pm

He was in the top tier though. A good read in David Plouffe’s book, The Audacity to Win. A great read. HZ

24. 56 Nena20409
    July 23, 2016 at 3:42 pm

HAS the party of Lincoln just nominated a racist to be president? We shouldn’t toss around such accusations lightly, so I’ve looked back over more than 40 years of Donald Trump’s career to see what the record says.

One early red flag arose in 1973, when President Richard Nixon’s Justice Department — not exactly the radicals of the day — sued Trump and his father, Fred Trump, for systematically discriminating against blacks in housing rentals.

I’ve waded through 1,021 pages of documents from that legal battle, and they are devastating. Donald Trump was then president of the family real estate firm, and the government amassed overwhelming evidence that the company had a policy of discriminating against blacks, including those serving in the military.

25. 57 Nena20409
    July 23, 2016 at 3:44 pm

26. 59 Nena20409
    July 23, 2016 at 3:57 pm

27. 60 globalcitizenlinda
    July 23, 2016 at 4:04 pm

28. 61 Nena20409
    July 23, 2016 at 4:04 pm

29. 62 Nena20409
    July 23, 2016 at 4:06 pm

30. 63 Nena20409
    July 23, 2016 at 4:08 pm

31. July 23, 2016 at 4:29 pm

I waited a long time for HRC/Kaine to appear on her livestream but it never went live for me. Had to do some errands and missed the whole thing. Good to hear everyone raving about it so much, so I look forward to the replay!!

32. 68 globalcitizenlinda
    July 23, 2016 at 4:31 pm

33. 70 Ladyhawke
    July 23, 2016 at 4:31 pm

• July 23, 2016 at 4:42 pm

If you ask Tim Kaine his favorite Bible verse he probably will know what to say.

• 75 arapaho415
      July 23, 2016 at 5:11 pm

GA LH.

So thankful that DNC immediately follows the RNC deranged hatefest.

Read somewhere that the incumbent party always has the second convention. Trumpaloons will only have their dear leader tweets to sustain their derangement.

LOL.

• 76 nathkatun7
        July 23, 2016 at 8:26 pm

Great read. Thanks, Arapaho, for sharing it. I am so impressed with Hillary Clinton picking Sen. Tim Kaine for VP. People forget that in 2008, then Gov. Kaine endorsed Sen. Barack Obama who was running against Hillary. Consequently, Sen. Obama, surprisingly, won the Virginia primary. Mature people, focused on governing and improving the lives of people, do not hold grudges. Just like President Obama selected two of his rivals–Joe Biden for VP and Hillary Clinton for SoS–Hillary Clinton has selected a VP candidate who preferred another Presidential candidate over her in 2008. In both situations, the focus of President Obama and Hillary Clinton was on selecting the best people.

Just as I worked so hard for President Obama in 2008 and 2012, I am now ready to work as as hard as a I can to elect Hillary Clinton the 45th president of the United States.

34. 77 GGail
    July 23, 2016 at 4:40 pm

Barack & Michelle are going to need to place Tim on an exercise regiment if he’s to survive – he’s should lose a couple of inches from his midsection 🙂

35. 86 GGail
    July 23, 2016 at 4:43 pm

Holy Moly, it’s 102 degees F at this moment at my home 😯

• 87 FoxfireTX
      July 23, 2016 at 9:50 pm

Was 104 on my patio this afternoon in the shade. Too hot to even use the pool. Went for a swim last night but not today. I was thinking yesterday, not one person in four days of that hate fest in Cleveland uttered the words climate change. Guess they’re not very concerned about their children’s future.

36. 88 Nena20409
    July 23, 2016 at 4:48 pm

Full Video of #ClintonKaine for those who might have missed it.

37. 91 carolyn
    July 23, 2016 at 5:04 pm

Good afternoon or evening, depending on where you are! I just watched the full c-span video of Hillary and Tim Kaine. I am impressed! So thrilled to be so. I have never heard him speak before, so had no opinion of him. After listening to him, and to what Hillary said about him, I am so happy for us. He is exactly what we need at this time, and will, I have no doubt, bring undecided and new voters to the right place.

While I was watching the video, I received a phone call from a former student about another matter. She asked me what I was doing, and when I told her I was watching Clinton and Kaine, she said: “Oh I LOVE Tim Kaine.” I know she was lukewarm to almost hostile about Hillary, and this reaction pleased me, and I think this is going to be the reaction of others that will now vote for Hillary. I believe this is one instance in which the VP choice will make a difference. He brings the fire and pizzazz people have been looking for.

Being Wesleyan by heritage, I loved his quoting John Wesley “Do all the good you can…..” Hillary quotes that quite frequently, but she knows and uses the entire quotation, and I believe it sums up their mutual philosophy. He struck so many chords that I know he will repeat, and he will be the smiling, gracious, charming attack dog for her. Bravo Hillary…..great choice!

• 92 arapaho415
      July 23, 2016 at 5:24 pm

GA Carolyn, glad to see your input.

Likewise, have only seen Kaine as a cable show talking head, didn’t see his speech with HRC a week or so ago, so he’s brand new to me too.

Think Kaine will made a real difference for a Dem clean sweep in Nov. I know others here disagree with me, but IMHO there’s no reason to limit VP appeal to those already inclined to vote Dem. If Kaine can get Appalachia Dems to open their eyes, then the GOP will be left with nothing but revenge-seeking, grievance motivated, white bigots.

Reposting from previous thread:

38. 93 Nena20409
    July 23, 2016 at 5:23 pm

Just saw this tweet. Now it makes sense why Cablers moved on so fast.

39. July 23, 2016 at 5:38 pm

July 23, 2016 at 6:40 pm

This excerpt from the link actually clarifies things a bit for me.

“Politicians don’t have to get permission to use an artist’s music if they buy “blanket licenses” from public-performance organizations ASCAP or BMI, which pay royalties to members, according to The New York Times. But artists under BMI who object to how their tracks are being used can have those songs pulled from that particular blanket license.

An artist or songwriter can also send a ‘cease and desist’ letter or even sue for false advertising if they believe their music appears to be supporting a particular candidate.”

40. 100 globalcitizenlinda
    July 23, 2016 at 6:16 pm

I do not support Bill Cosby’s abuse of multiple women;

but I am struck with the near silence of media outlets on the sexual abuse dished by roger ailes of fox;

both should be equally castigated for behavior that appears to follow a similar pattern;

ailes also destroyed careers of women (fellow journalists) who refused his advances and this should count for something to be outraged about.

the reports that he go a 40 (or 60?) million package on his exit should make every one livid and ought to be criticized;

the few reports on this matter makes me wonder if this pattern of abuse is common in many media outlets;

• 101 COS
      July 23, 2016 at 6:49 pm

Exactly!!!!

• 102 globalcitizenlinda
      July 23, 2016 at 6:50 pm

I was not surprised by the accusation of roger ailes as a serial abuser;

he has a dark heart and has done a lot to try and destroy his political opposition.

ailes = rotten to the core

• 104 GGail
      July 23, 2016 at 7:42 pm

Yes, Linda, it has for ages, been a pattern of abuse with promises fulfilled or un fulfilled.

July 23, 2016 at 7:45 pm

Good points all around, Linda!

• 106 jackiegrumbacher
      July 23, 2016 at 9:30 pm

Excellent point, Linda. I’m sure we can guess the reason for the difference in coverage. Ailes’ exit package an outrage. He has been awarded a princely sum for abusing women, which probably expresses Murdoch’s contempt for women and fear of Ailes’ continuing influence.

• 107 nathkatun7
      July 23, 2016 at 9:51 pm

Thank you so much, Linda< for your excellent tweet! Most of the so called mainstream media are hypocrites.

41. 108 HZ
    July 23, 2016 at 6:25 pm

I am so glad Pavarotti’s family did that. I love that aria and it does not deserve to be exposed to that hate. ” Nessum Dorma” by Puccini.HZ

42. July 23, 2016 at 6:48 pm

I guess FLOTUS is working on her speech for Monday. Don’t let Melania know.

43. 111 GGail
    July 23, 2016 at 7:45 pm

Just received my first campaign donation email from….Tim Kaine 🙂

July 23, 2016 at 8:13 pm

• 113 GGail
      July 23, 2016 at 8:20 pm

Ha! Donald, is that the best you got? LOL!!!

• 115 99ts
      July 23, 2016 at 10:34 pm

No gold thrones, no majestic signs and Hillary Clinton actually listened to what her vp said – Presidential candidates do not listen to underlings.

hahahahahaha – WHY are his ratings not at 10% – just weird – the world does not understand.

July 23, 2016 at 10:48 pm

I’ve never seen such a cross-section of people involved in fighting back before, from all political persuasions. Fingers crossed we kick the bums out!

• 117 99ts
          July 23, 2016 at 11:17 pm

As usual I’m a thread or two behind – I’m also amazed at the breadth of people supporting Kaine – seems only a few remaining Bernie Bots are anti – and Trump is trying to stir them along, with almost no support. Every time I think the GOP may have a chance – I remember how worried I was in 2008, 12. Early on I said it would be a Goldwater style defeat – still thinking that.

• 118 Obama Grandmama
        July 24, 2016 at 12:14 am

There is an article at Huff Post today I saw posted by a friend on Facebook. Sorry you will have to try to find it due to my lack of “techiness”. It talks about ten categories with traits defined that are helping Donald Trump make headway with people. It talks about how marketing and sales techniques are being used and what they are. The article gives advise at the end on how Democrats can combat it. It mentions facts and loudness does not work and why. It is a long read, but worth it.

45. July 23, 2016 at 8:25 pm

46. July 23, 2016 at 8:28 pm

FYI –

47. July 23, 2016 at 8:33 pm

48. July 23, 2016 at 8:35 pm

• July 23, 2016 at 8:52 pm

You would think Paul Ryan, Mitch McConnell, and other Republicans would have started asking those questions when the racists tea party took over the Republican Party.

49. July 23, 2016 at 8:52 pm

CIC extraordinaire! Definitely a man of the people. thanks Nerdy, every day, for keeping us going.

50. July 23, 2016 at 8:52 pm

July 23, 2016 at 9:05 pm

This is pretty much how I see it.

52. 139 Nena20409