Jul

The Incredible First Lady Michelle Obama

148 Responses to “The Incredible First Lady Michelle Obama”

1. 1 cd4biden
    July 26, 2016 at 3:19 pm

I wanted to say hi to everyone, and to thank you all, especially Nerdy Wonka, but also all of you for your amazing coverage of the convention so far. It is my birthday today and last night I had a party to celebrate. So I did not get to see these speeches live. So as I try to catch up to the present (I am still 2 threads behind) I find I keep watching every link to every bit of all the speeches, tweets, and articles you all are posting to try to catch the flavor of what I missed.

I am burning through a box of kleenex with all the times I have watched segments and the entirely of Michelle’s amazing speech. I am a mess, but a very happy and extremely proud mess. So proud to be able to call her my, our, First Lady. So happy for all of you at TOD, and so thankful for Nerdy Wonka and our dear Chips for bringing this amazing place into existence and keeping it going for all of us. Hugs, hugs, hugs to you all. And may the remaining days of this convention and this historic election be as uplifting as last night’s convention.

2. 15 HZ
    July 26, 2016 at 3:31 pm

I love that our First Lady brought us to another proud level in this great country . I am so proud of her and I will forever be grateful to live this history of PBO and First Lady Michelle Obama. So wonderful to be alive during these times.HZ

3. 16 Anjo
    July 26, 2016 at 3:34 pm

It was great, it was wonderful, its Dems all the way…

4. 17 Linda
    July 26, 2016 at 3:34 pm

It looks like the official nomination will begin at 4:30 . Terry McAuliffe is the one to do it.

5. July 26, 2016 at 3:38 pm

Good Afternoon, TODers!

A BIG– and CONTINUOUS — THANKS to you, Nerdy for keeping this haven going. The monster that the GOP built has made what used to be known as silly season become scary season. So especially now, we need this place to get information, to vent, to lift our spirits, and to have rational thoughts guide us to keep us from getting discouraged and distracted.

6. July 26, 2016 at 3:42 pm

That speech was a masterpiece. Moving and delivered with such authenticity and passion. In moments like this, we take the measure of how wonderful, incredible Michelle is. I hope she stays active in public life in some way. She won’t engage in politics she says; but there are a myriad of ways in which she can use her special gifts.

Back to the speech. Not only was it wonderful from a values and emotional point of view. It was also very, very clever, politically speaking. Could sway a lot of independents. Especially women.

7. July 26, 2016 at 3:47 pm

Here you are my loves – your One Stop Shop for the Trump Dumpster Fire™.

8. 21 Don
    July 26, 2016 at 3:54 pm

I’m a lifelong democrat and I’ll always be a democrat and will vote that way because they represent me pure and simple. I don’t have to sit down and listen to every speech because I know the platform and I know where each candidate stands on the issues. I came into this convention wanting to hear from four people; Barack, Michelle, Hillary, and Bill. But after last night, do I really need to hear from the other three?

• 22 nospin
      July 26, 2016 at 4:32 pm

great question Don.

After that speech I am ready to go!

• July 26, 2016 at 4:40 pm

Michelle really blew the sox off the whole planet. But I do want to hear PBO and VP Joe and will listen to HRC.
      I don’t care for BC much at all, so not sure I’ll bother.
      I WILL listen to the Mothers of the Movement, for sure.

• 24 GGail
      July 26, 2016 at 4:59 pm

Don, you tole da truf. I’m ready to write Michelle’s name in place of Hillary’s – LOL!!!!

9. 25 donna dem 4 obama
    July 26, 2016 at 3:55 pm

We do too!!

10. July 26, 2016 at 4:00 pm

TPP is now officially DOA. No specific reasons for being against it and no specific remedies, but hey, what do the details matter?
    I give up.

Nancy Pelosi Declares Opposition To Obama’s TPP Trade Deal

July 26, 2016 at 4:09 pm

Is this a ploy? Smells to me

• July 26, 2016 at 4:11 pm

Don’t see how it would work as a ploy. The entire Dem leadership is now set against POTUS on this, with Sanders promising to kill it in the Senate. McConnell doesn’t want it any more and Ryan is buckling, too. So good luck on the trade front, America.

• 29 Don
          July 26, 2016 at 4:19 pm

But if the present system of trade is fucked up, then why kill it and assuring that the present trade system stays in place?

• July 26, 2016 at 4:25 pm

That’s the part I really don’t get. Why stay with the status quo? The unions have got a stranglehold on this issue and I don’t know what their exact objections are other than slogans and bromides.

And you know, there are 12 countries involved in TPP. It cannot be renegotiated unless ALL agree. Most of them have said NO to any renegotiation, including Japan and Canada. After 6 years of hammering out the details, they’ve worked hard enough on it. And now, what country would want to start this process all over again only to worry that it’s not going anywhere? I’ve tried to understand but it just isn’t making one bit of sense.

• 31 No Child Left Behind
              July 26, 2016 at 4:32 pm

This time, like in many other instances, I hope that the Dems have a grand plan in secret to stir away from a mess they created.

The TPP is not read in its details and like HRC has been attacked rightfully or wrongfully without regards for the truth. It’s like a domino effect: because the benefits of NAFTA are questionable, the TPP in the eyes of politicians seeking to get reelected must be bad.

As for the ACA, even though POTUS explained that the US has better get involved for fear of being overwhelmed by illegal and devastating trade deals, politicians block their earns and prefer not to listen. For some, they are simply afraid of their raucous supporters. For others, the word “trade” in any form is bad and evoke God knows what.

Bernie now vows to stall it in the Senate. With other cowards running for election, I am not surprised at the common reaction. In any case, Democrats were never the party of the “braves” when it comes to political convictions.

• July 26, 2016 at 4:44 pm

That’s why it’s so alarming. As POTUS has said on so very many occasions, global trade is going forward, with or without us. So time if of the essence but Dems are dead set against it.

I saw a headline the other day that HRC wants to renegotiate NAFTA. How long will that take and who will be willing? How will that be better than all the substance and protections in TPP? It’s crazy.

July 26, 2016 at 4:26 pm

I don’t know…maybe bring up at a later time? Is this time sensitive? I honestly haven’t given this much thought…just trust the guidance of PBO. He says we need to work our Reps, I’m there!

• July 26, 2016 at 4:30 pm

Since there can be no changes to the TPP contact, it’s time sensitive as the clock is running out on PBO’s term.

• 35 Don
        July 26, 2016 at 4:17 pm

I hope its a ploy because if it isn’t then this move by Pelosi doesn’t make any sense. I can only hope this is a 1th dimensional chess move.

• 36 Don
      July 26, 2016 at 4:11 pm

Et tu, Nancy?

• 37 nospin
      July 26, 2016 at 4:34 pm

don’t think it is DOA. I think it will pass after the election.

• July 26, 2016 at 4:38 pm

If HRC and Kaine are against it and NP is against it in the House and McConnell and Sanders is against it in the Senate, don’t see how that happens.

• 39 idon
      July 26, 2016 at 7:45 pm

My assessment is sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I think it will re-emerge with a different title and reworked preamble and pass in Congress. We need to let this go for right now.

11. July 26, 2016 at 4:00 pm

And that tweet from POTUS was pretty awesome, too… (OMG, going to miss this family SO MUCH!!!)

12. July 26, 2016 at 4:18 pm

13. July 26, 2016 at 4:24 pm

She’s With Us: Eagle Academy

• 49 GGail
      July 26, 2016 at 5:15 pm

I have found that I’m looking forward to each night, so I can see these encouraging and uplifting video’s and speakers.
      Who knew? 🙂

14. July 26, 2016 at 4:27 pm

4:40 DNC gavel coming up:

July 26, 2016 at 4:30 pm

Here’s an “international” female perspective re HRC, and it’s only about 12 minutes long. If you can’t watch the entire thing, I’d recommend starting at ~7:10. That’s where the guest is asked about Hillary being described as ‘offputting to younger women’. The response was quite good, I’d say. Check it out….. and share?

July 26, 2016 at 4:40 pm

Just dropping this here. It’s a parody, so no screaming. If she really DID say this, she would be entitled to it. IMO

View story at Medium.com

17. 59 sherijr
    July 26, 2016 at 4:50 pm

Allison Grimes, didn’t she run away from POTUS while running for office, or do I have her confused w/someone else?

18. 62 Linda
    July 26, 2016 at 4:56 pm

Ugh…Tulsi Gabbard ………..

19. 74 sherijr
    July 26, 2016 at 5:03 pm

oh brother, political revolution. By the way, Bernie’s email last night stated the “revolution is not over”.

20. 75 mtmarilyn
    July 26, 2016 at 5:04 pm

I have muted the sound, I don’t like Allison Grimes, since she ran away from our President during her campaign, Tulsi doesn’t like most of us Dems and I don’t like this talk about revolution.

21. 76 susanne
    July 26, 2016 at 5:05 pm

Can we leave the Bernt-outs behind now? Had their day, had their say– big hug, now go away.

22. 81 JER
    July 26, 2016 at 5:06 pm

23. 82 No Child Left Behind
    July 26, 2016 at 5:11 pm

I am so sick and tired of Bernie and Bernie’s revolution!!!

24. 83 susanne
    July 26, 2016 at 5:13 pm

25. 85 No Child Left Behind
    July 26, 2016 at 5:13 pm

Was Bernie nominated, too???

26. 89 No Child Left Behind
    July 26, 2016 at 5:15 pm

July 26, 2016 at 5:16 pm

So glad to see John Lewis second the nomination!

28. July 26, 2016 at 5:19 pm

29. 94 susanne
    July 26, 2016 at 5:22 pm

love this woman! missed her name…. 😦

30. July 26, 2016 at 5:23 pm

This women is lovely!!

31. 99 sherijr
    July 26, 2016 at 5:31 pm

okay now I do recall this being done in previous conventions. Been watching this off and on since I was a kid, my mom never missed it. I had just forgotten over the past several years, that we normally do this. Sorry for being so dense folks.

32. 111 susanne
    July 26, 2016 at 5:42 pm

loving all these faces ❤

33. 112 susanne
    July 26, 2016 at 5:44 pm

that baby wants the mike!!! 🙂

34. 113 Dudette
    July 26, 2016 at 5:45 pm

GEORGIA! GEORGIA! GEORGIA!

35. 116 99ts
    July 26, 2016 at 5:48 pm

So I went to MSNBC and they were ignoring the vote and drumming up support for a “nasty horrible 3 months”. So I googled the youtube & got back to vanilla convention

Have to go out this am – mind my place 🙂

36. 119 Dudette
    July 26, 2016 at 5:52 pm

37. July 26, 2016 at 5:53 pm

I’m watching the roll call. It’s bittersweet. Maybe I’m too biased and a bit jealous, but I’m kind of irritated by the people who are talking about their “revolution” as if it Barack Obama and his work have been unimportant.

38. 129 Don
    July 26, 2016 at 6:07 pm

How much longer must I endure this narcissistic windbag, no not Donald Trump, but Bernie Sanders.

July 26, 2016 at 6:13 pm

I think we even know the date – November 8. I’m getting the whine and cheese ready for it. Make mine wine!

• 131 mtmarilyn
      July 26, 2016 at 6:32 pm

Just awhile longer. I am so tired of his ego. He couldn’t do the respectable thing.

July 26, 2016 at 6:20 pm

The first Native American Democratic Party chair from New Mexico casts their votes! Freakin’ unbelievable that we’re still having all these “firsts” in 2016, but at least we always have something better to shoot for, for sure!

40. 142 99ts
    July 26, 2016 at 6:21 pm

hehe – NY loves them the Clinton Family

41. July 26, 2016 at 6:27 pm

Moments away from the magic number……………..

42. July 26, 2016 at 6:28 pm

Anyone who has U-Verse: 213 or 2013 (HD) will give you full coverage with NO pundits! 🙂 🙂

43. 146 99ts
    July 26, 2016 at 6:34 pm

I love the states who see not need to wave bernie placards at the camera
    Also loving the diversity on the floor – how different to last week

July 26, 2016 at 6:58 pm