Aug

Summer Playlist II: What Are You Listening To?

Tell us in the comments what’s on your summer playlist. You could be introducing us to an artist we haven’t heard and need to explore and that would be fabulous! You can even show us an example of a song from the artist

There has never and will never be a president as effortlessly cool as President Barack Obama

102 Responses to “Summer Playlist II: What Are You Listening To?”

1. 1 Nerdy Wonka
    August 11, 2016 at 8:44 pm

Some of the folks on my playlist are FKA Twigs, Banks, Clams Casino, SZA, Chance The Rapper, Bastille, Beyonce, Drake, Tyler The Creator, Young The Giant, Nina Simone, Flobots, Elephante, Bishop Briggs, Rihanna, Chet Faker, Foo Fighters, Metallica, Mala Rodriguez, Florence and the Machine, Kendrick Lamar, Tom Odell, Raleigh Ritchie, Stormzy, The Neighborhood, Lethal Bizzle, J. Cole, Cage The Elephant, Sublime, Childish Gambino, Baauer, Schoolboy Q, Chainsmokers, Sufjan Stevens, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Typhoon, Alt-J, Lana Del Ray, SBTRKT, Kaleo……

And so many more. There are no adequate words to describe the luscious beauty, wonder, and power of music.

Some examples

• 2 MadameSoph
      August 11, 2016 at 9:44 pm

Oooh Nerdy! Love FKA Twigs!, especially the second one up there. Thank you! Yay! I have a new artist to check out 🙂

• 4 CEB
      August 12, 2016 at 9:20 am

I feel so old and out of touch; I recognize only 7 people from your playlist and have listened to only 5 of them. Now that I am no longer around teenagers and college students everyday (retired educator here), I do not hear about the new artists, especially the edgier ones. Thanks for the sampling.

• 5 Nerdy Wonka
        August 12, 2016 at 9:24 am

You are welcome, CEB.

Thanks also for your musical playlist. It was fun!

I hope you get to check out more of the artists, because they’re quite extraordinary

2. August 11, 2016 at 8:45 pm

Just dust.😢
    Not only for what he did, but they found one.another in their 40’s.
    Love- not just for the young. 💟💟

3. 7 MadameSoph
    August 11, 2016 at 8:50 pm

O.k. Nerdy, but before I start posting songs, I have to bring this over from the last thread:

Happy Birthday to Donna Dem, our beautiful TOD lioness!

4. 11 MadameSoph
    August 11, 2016 at 9:07 pm

It’s good to Slow Down once in a while…

5. 12 MadameSoph
    August 11, 2016 at 9:09 pm

Franco Battiato (amazing Italian artist – kind of like Peter Gabriel)
    Inneres Auge

6. August 11, 2016 at 9:10 pm

This is going to make a great mini-series on HBO:

After Ailes: ‘Friends of Roger’ exodus expected at embattled Fox News
    August 10, 2016: 10:23 PM ET

excerpt:
    Ailes is the only CEO Fox News has ever had. He launched the channel in 1996 and ran it as a fiefdom, grooming an entire generation of hosts, reporters and producers who feel indebted to him. He set the cultural tone of the place.

With Ailes deposed — one veteran staffer compared it to the sudden death of a Middle Eastern strongman — there is widespread uncertainty about the status of on- and off-air talent alike.
    […]
    Meanwhile, there is a fresh focus on Ailes’ spending habits.
    Ailes, through Fox News, employed a number of longtime friends as consultants, for purposes that remain unknown.

One of the consultants earned $10,000 a month by submitting a monthly invoice to Fox.

Sherman reported on Sunday that “one of the consultants, Bert Solivan, ran negative PR campaigns against Ailes’ personal and political enemies.” He said Solivan and four others were dismissed.
    The names of the other “friends of Roger,” as they were known internally, were shared by a source on condition of anonymity.

7. 14 MadameSoph
    August 11, 2016 at 9:13 pm

Charles Bradley covering Black Sabbath…. ’nuff said:

8. August 11, 2016 at 9:13 pm

I love this site:

A VOTE FOR JILL STEIN IS A VOTE IN THE TRASH
    Dustin Seibert, 8/11/16

……………………………..

Michael Eric Dyson authored the definitive (if not petty as hell) ethering of West; that’s not what I’m here for. I plead that you don’t listen to West, or anyone else who would convince you to send your vote to Stein in November.

The Green Party has been bopping around in the U.S. for a little more than three decades now; it gained notoriety when presidential candidate Ralph Nader put a small wedge between Al Gore and George W. Bush in the 2000 presidential election (the first in which I was able to vote).

The oft-touted idea that Nader “stole” the election from Gore has been disproven. But he sure didn’t help matters in an election he couldn’t win. Stein is threatening the same interference for the 2016 election, which has higher stakes.

Folks aren’t riding for Stein or the Green Party and it’s Candy Land-ass platform because they’re impressed with either – they’re planning to throw their vote away on an “anyone-but-Clinton” play, which is misguided at best. Truth is, Stein could walk past my desk, grant me my 40 acres and a mule and I still wouldn’t know who the fuck she was. Put a picture of her alongside one of Clifton Powell, and I bet even White folks would recognize Powell first.

To be clear, I’m not Clinton’s number-one fan; many of her critics’ have valid points, and I certainly believe her presidency would usher in more status-quo bullshit. (My general sentiment on this election hasn’t changed.) But I don’t abide by the hyperbolic sentiment that she would, in any way, leave our country worse off than George W. Bush did, and I don’t give a shellacked shit about emails and servers. Despite protestations, no one really does.

9. 16 MadameSoph
    August 11, 2016 at 9:14 pm

For my TOD “Familia”

10. 19 MadameSoph
    August 11, 2016 at 9:18 pm

Agnes Obel – Fuel to Fire

11. August 11, 2016 at 9:26 pm

Erykah Badu Donating Concert Proceeds to Clear Detroit Rape-Kit Backlog

Erykah Badu is donating the proceeds from her upcoming Detroit concert to a nonprofit that tests the city’s backlog of rape kits, the Detroit Free Press reports. Five dollars from each ticket sold for Badu’s August 12 performance at the Chene Park Amphitheater will go to the African-American 490 Challenge, which raises money to test the 11,000 abandoned rape kits found in a Detroit police warehouse in 2009. (Each test costs $490.) Badu will also donate the proceeds from the concert’s $100 “pre-show reception” and $1,000 “VIP reception” to the campaign, in what Wayne County prosecutor Kym Worthy calls a “phenomenal assist” to the cause. There are tens of thousands of untested rape kits across the United States.

12. 22 MadameSoph
    August 11, 2016 at 9:27 pm

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan – one of the most amazing voices of all time.

Jhoole jhoole laal (remix)

13. 23 CEB
    August 11, 2016 at 9:35 pm

Danced to the daytime playlist; grooving to the nighttime playlist. I’ll bet he has serenaded Michelle with many of these songs.

14. August 11, 2016 at 9:36 pm

15. August 11, 2016 at 9:37 pm

16. August 11, 2016 at 9:40 pm

17. August 11, 2016 at 9:52 pm

My Summer Playlist…hmmm…

When i think of summer i go back to the days when i was bit younger….smilin…

and what was on my playlist was Motown…The Temptations…Smokey Robinson….Martha and the Vandellas…the Marvelettes…The Four Tops…The Supremes…Stevie Wonder….

there was even a lil Doo Wop going on…Street Corner Harmonies…

hanging in the park…Fairmount Park….with friends….listening to the sounds of the summer….smilin

18. August 11, 2016 at 9:52 pm

lips pursed:

19. 40 No Child Left Behind
    August 11, 2016 at 9:54 pm

20. 41 MadameSoph
    August 11, 2016 at 10:00 pm

oh yeah… I almost forgot… I love myself 🙂
    (‘cause sometimes I need to remind myself)

21. 42 MadameSoph
    August 11, 2016 at 10:02 pm

Nothing like the original:

22. 44 mtmarilyn
    August 11, 2016 at 10:02 pm

I love music but I am more of a lover of types instead of specific songs. My favorite singer is Adele. I do love Stevie Wonder, Beatles. I love to listen to Yo Yo Ma, Itzhak Perlman. I love Jazz, Blues, Led Zeppelin. I have a hard time naming songs. I love all the songs Dudette posts. I just love music, all of it.

Thanks Nerdy Wonka for all you do for us and especially Chips.

• 45 mtmarilyn
      August 11, 2016 at 10:29 pm

I also want to say everyone here has enhanced my music knowledge. I miss Liberal Liberians late night music posts. I think Dudette would have some great suggestions.

• 47 Nerdy Wonka
      August 11, 2016 at 10:33 pm

Good choices, MTMarilyn!

This is my favorite Adele song. No matter how many songs she releases, I keep coming back to this one. There is something so hauntingly raw about it.

23. 49 MadameSoph
    August 11, 2016 at 10:04 pm

O.k. gotta give y’all a break here 🙂 Gonna take the kitties outside…

My last offering:
    Babymetal – Gimme Chocolate
    Because, well, I had to:

24. 50 magapie
    August 11, 2016 at 10:10 pm

There is just enough Christ in me
    To make me feel almost guilty
    Is that why God made us breed
    To make us see we’re humans being?

25. 52 cd4biden
    August 11, 2016 at 10:28 pm

When I need to get housework done, and I’m not looking forward to it I put on any song by this group and pretty soon my house is spotless!

26. August 11, 2016 at 10:35 pm

27. 55 Nerdy Wonka
    August 11, 2016 at 10:37 pm

GAAAAAAWD…..I LOOOOOVE MUSIC!

• 56 MadameSoph
      August 11, 2016 at 11:10 pm

Thank you for this thread Nerdy! I desperately needed a break from all the evil orange ugly!

Discovering and getting the chance to share music is just the cleanse I needed tonight!

Here is some music to accompany you as you check out the Persid Meteor Shower tonight.

This slow, soulful version of “Moonlight Sonata” is my fave

28. August 11, 2016 at 10:39 pm

29. 60 No Child Left Behind
    August 11, 2016 at 10:50 pm

This is serious and very disturbing.

30. August 11, 2016 at 10:50 pm

31. August 11, 2016 at 10:51 pm

32. 64 No Child Left Behind
    August 11, 2016 at 10:51 pm

33. 65 No Child Left Behind
    August 11, 2016 at 10:59 pm

• 66 Don
      August 11, 2016 at 11:44 pm

Ugh, this fucking guy and his properties, get the fuck outta here. I can almost see this guy touring the place with the realtor and complaining about every goddamn thing.

34. August 11, 2016 at 11:24 pm

‘Nuff said ….

My ‘play list’ is largely inspired by all the exceptional music that Dudette, NW, and many other TODers have shared over the years that I’ve had the privilege to be a member of this community … but, I will add that a day is not complete without listening to this at least once ….

Good night TOD … Thank you {{{{NW}}}} … Never stop thinking of you {{{{Chips}}}} …..

35. August 11, 2016 at 11:50 pm

?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

36. August 12, 2016 at 12:06 am

37. August 12, 2016 at 12:07 am

Co-sign:

38. August 12, 2016 at 12:10 am

39. 80 Betsy
    August 12, 2016 at 12:54 am

I have a wide variety of musical interests from Uptown Funk, to Adele’s “Hello”, to K.D. Lang’s “Hallelujah”; Other favorites are: “Fight Song”, Rachel Platton, Walk the Moon’s “Shut up & Dance”, Demi Lovato’s “Confident”, Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody”, Ravel’s “Bolero”, Carmina Burana, Zeppelin’s “Stairway to Heaven”, Diana Krall “Girl in the other Room”, U2 “Still haven’t Found What I’m Looking For”, “Locked Away” R.City, “I will Survive” Gloria Gaynor, Rihanna’s “Stay”, Bruno Mars “Just the Way You Are”, Fun’s “We are Young; Al Green “Let’s Stay Together”, The Piano Guys: “Berlin”, Christina Perri’s “Burning Gold”, Michael Jackson’s “Black and White”, “Thriller” just to name a few.

August 12, 2016 at 1:11 am

August 12, 2016 at 1:13 am

August 12, 2016 at 1:15 am

August 12, 2016 at 1:18 am

• August 12, 2016 at 8:35 am

So now I see were Trump tweeted this morning that he was being sarcastic when he said that Obama was the founder of ISIS. His racists crazy ass supporters don’t think he was being sarcastic,remember these are the people who think Obama was not born in America.

44. August 12, 2016 at 1:53 am

I am so proud of our American women athletes, especially the two Simones, Simone Biles and Simone Manuel.

45. August 12, 2016 at 5:43 am

46. August 12, 2016 at 5:57 am

““WHOEVER wishes to collect from the mouth of the people should hurry; folk songs are disappearing one after another.” Thus wrote Ludolf Parisius, a German song collector, nearly two centuries ago. Others have since said the same, for just as spoken languages can die, so too can musical ones.

A century ago song-collection was an important part of the study of musical languages. There were archives of “field recordings” in Berlin, London and Washington, DC, which could express deep social truth: they were the heartbeat of humanity. They served other purposes, too. Like many of their contemporaries, Zoltan Kodaly and Bela Bartok, two Hungarians who visited Magyar villages in the early 1900s, used the folk music they hoovered up to enrich their own compositions.” more @ link…

47. August 12, 2016 at 7:38 am

Good morning TOD 🙂

48. 96 globalcitizenlinda
    August 12, 2016 at 7:48 am

49. August 12, 2016 at 7:51 am

Take care everyone …. {{{{{{Chips}}}}}} ……

August 12, 2016 at 8:21 am

A handful of moderate House Republicans in tight reelection contests have done something that most Republicans would consider unthinkable — renounce the GOP catechism on repealing Obamacare as they fight for their political lives. They say they oppose the health law but are reluctant to tear it up completely.

“Unless there is a bipartisan solution to fix the law, I don’t think we should be taking symbolic votes,” to repeal it, said Rep. Bob Dold of Illinois, who is casting himself as a bipartisan voice in Congress as he fights to hang on to one of the most competitive districts in the country.

The break with party leaders in the deeply contentious health care fight reflects a larger change on the campaign trail throughout the country: For the first time since Obamacare’s passage six years ago, and after House Republicans have taken over 60 votes to try to repeal it, the crusade appears to be losing its fire as a political rallying cry, taking a back seat to worries over national security and the economy.

Donald Trump spends far more time bashing Mexicans, Muslims and “job-killing” free trade than talking about repealing the Affordable Care Act.

The Republican Senate candidates — with the exception of Sen. John McCain in Arizona — haven’t made the health law an overarching theme this year, even though many of them won their last race in 2010 railing against the law that was only a few months old at the time.

It took more than six years for these treasonous ratfuckers to realize it is a losing cause.

And oh yeah, good luck with that “national security and the economy” lies, assholes.

August 12, 2016 at 8:49 am

Sanders strategists exit Canova campaign against Wasserman Schultz

so much bs in so short a time. at least, he got a summerhouse out of it. wonder how much his campaign grifters got out of it.

@POTUS