Oct

Early Bird Chat

All Times Eastern

9AM: President Obama welcomes Prime Minister Matteo Renzi and Mrs. Agnese Landini of Italy

10:05AM: President Obama holds a meeting with Prime Minister Renzi

11:40AM: President Obama and President Renzi hold a press conference

1:30PM: Vice President Biden hosts a luncheon in honor of Prime Minister Renzi

6:45PM: President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama host a State Dinner and reception in honor of Prime Minister Matteo Renzi and Mrs. Agnese Landini of Italy

117 Responses to “Early Bird Chat”

1. 1 arapaho415
    October 18, 2016 at 8:52 am

GM TODville.

Susanne did us all a favor on the overnight thread and posted a link to an article with 52 breathtaking photos of our FLOTUS.

The article is refreshing too, reminding us of what a remarkable FLOTUS Michelle Obama is.

(Bringing over from the previous thread:)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Thank YOU, thank you Susanne SO much. Savoring every one now.

52 stunning photos, with text to match what is in all of our hearts.

Countdown to the end of our beloved Obama Administration.

Couldn’t resist tweeting three of the 52 photos:

October 18, 2016 at 8:54 am

This was a gem find by susanne:) Thank you!! FLOTUS is amazing in every way! Such style. Such grace. Such class. Love her.

• 3 arapaho415
        October 18, 2016 at 9:22 am

Thank you, DF!

My very first #1 — shocking to me because I am ALWAYS way behind (and today is no different).

Hoping that sane GOP in Arizona are shaking their heads at (senile — not being cruel, but why else would he make such a statement?) McCain’s comments. He’s old enough to remember the wisdom of “hanging them up when it’s time.”

Hope that FLOTUS’ appearance in your fair city does the trick…

• 4 GGAIL
        October 18, 2016 at 9:39 am

I agree DF, great find by Susanne 😊
        And good morning to U! 😘

• October 18, 2016 at 8:55 am

Good Morning, arapaho415. Congrats and have a wonderful day!

• 6 arapaho415
        October 18, 2016 at 9:28 am

Thank you SWBLUEGA!

In an ironic twist, my first and only #1 is a re-post of something posted on previous thread (since I am and will continue to be hopelessly behind 😦 ).

Don’t have an update on this, but encouraging news in GA (from last week):

• 10 GGAIL
      October 18, 2016 at 9:37 am

Congrats Arapaho on First and thanks for bringing these pics over!

2. October 18, 2016 at 8:54 am

Good Tuesday, Nerdy…TOD Family!!!

3. 12 arapaho415
    October 18, 2016 at 8:56 am

Also from the previous thread (and from our remarkable Meta’s twitter timeline)…

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

DJT is spinning his wheels and the MSM so much recently (and will only get worse, i.e., blatant white supremacy and treasonous rhetoric will get worse over the next 3 weeks).

Now the shameful GOP candidates are furthering their misinformation campaigns by latching onto powerful Dems. Disgraceful.

Rob Portman, OH:

Even worse, the deplorable Darrell Issa, CA CD49:

more…

4. 15 99ts
    October 18, 2016 at 8:57 am

gm TOD

This one for desertflower – even if only for a short while – lovely to see a blue Arizona

October 18, 2016 at 9:16 am

Thank you, 99:) I think that if everyone voted here that CAN vote, we might be closer to blue all the time. The demographics are changing that way….but the only ones that are reliable voters, are the ones that always vote Republican. We need to educate the electorate here…and show them the power they have to make change for the better. This can not be just an “every 4 years” kind of thing. This is a constant. That said, I think that blue looks good on us:)

• 17 99ts
        October 18, 2016 at 9:55 am

I have a distant cousin who retired to Arizona (getting away from snow & ice). He has to vote dem, given the letters I received about GWB – and despite everyone attacking the old folks for supporting the GOP nominee – there have to be many many retirees who do vote blue.
        Getting them all to the polls seems to be the issue – learning about GOTV – I am rather glad voting is compulsory down under.

5. October 18, 2016 at 8:58 am

Has anyone heard anything about hidden absentee ballots in the firebombed NC Republican HQ’s?

Now the NC GOP’s state spokesperson just admitted on NBC (still unchanged) that the Orange County party office actually held completed absentee ballots. If that’s true, then the NC GOP just admitted to a serious election felony.

6. 21 jackiegrumbacher
    October 18, 2016 at 9:09 am

Morning all. Will miss the day’s excitement. Off to find an assisted living facility that MIL will like. See you all later.

October 18, 2016 at 9:09 am

8. 24 Allison
    October 18, 2016 at 9:23 am

African-American designer who created Jackie Kennedy’s wedding gown finally gets her due

The dress Jacqueline Bouvier wore to be married to John F. Kennedy became iconic — yet its creator, Ann Lowe, died in her old age broke and unknown. Lowe, an African-American designer was a favorite of the society set at the time of the wedding in 1953 — twice creating the iconic wedding dress in ivory French taffeta and pink silk faille, after a broken water pipe destroyed the original 10 days before Bouvier’s big day, The New York Post reports.

9. 26 carolyn
    October 18, 2016 at 9:26 am

NW, thank you for posting the president’s schedule. Because of you I am now watching the arrival ceremony for the Italian Prime Minister on C-SPAN. I love these ceremonies.

Good morning all. I just returned last night from a college reunion in Boston. Now I have to catch up. I had a wonderful time. I was with people who knew me “when” and when I see these people, it is always as if no time has passed. Refreshing and soul-satisfying.

Now to POTUS……I love to watch his obvious enjoyment of these events.

• 27 57andfemale
      October 18, 2016 at 10:27 am

Sounds like such a great time. How are you doing, carolyn?

• 28 carolyn
        October 18, 2016 at 12:25 pm

Doing pretty well. I still miss my husband, of course, but life does not look nearly as dark as it did for months. Had a great time at my reunion……was able to relax and enjoy it. Thankful, and thank you for asking.

• 29 whenpamelawandered
          October 18, 2016 at 12:48 pm

❤️

• 30 57andfemale
          October 18, 2016 at 2:03 pm

You are so often in my thoughts. Although it is no comparison, we lost our beloved Pearl in August. And the rest of the world goes on, while our hearts are still shattered and there seems no end to the emptiness. But I know that, in time, life will be transformed where that hurt is woven into the fabric of what it means to love so deeply. Again, you are so often in my thoughts.

10. 35 GGAIL
    October 18, 2016 at 9:31 am

Good West Coast morning TOD family. Thanks so much NW🌹

11. October 18, 2016 at 9:46 am

Good morning Ms. Chips, Danny and TOD family, I hope all is well with everyone this lovely Tuesday morning. Congrats arapaho, on being first this morning.

Nerdy, thanks so much for helping Ms. Chips and the sacrifices you are making for us TOD’ers. 💫🙏👌👊❤

To all, I hope that your inherent, intrinsic, and natural wonderful qualities are on full display today. ❤ ❤ ❤

Thank God that President Obama is still the President of The United States of America. ⭐🏆 ⭐🏆 ⭐🏆

12. 37 Kanga kid
    October 18, 2016 at 10:00 am

Thank you NW for the great news and posts. I just read and had to share vp joes cancer moonshot report to the pres on facebook. I held my toungue last week when someone said that VP doesnt do anything… Your timing is perfect and i hope that person sees and reads his report.

13. October 18, 2016 at 10:01 am

The US new 4.4 billion dollar(more than a Virginia class nuclear sub) stealth destroyer got christened this week

October 18, 2016 at 10:06 am

In what might be one of the more delicious cases of irony to ever grace a presidential election, a researcher has found that a number of email servers linked to Donald Trump’s hotel and others businesses are running horribly out of date software which receive no security patches, and are lacking other precautions for keeping hackers out.

The findings come at a time when cybersecurity is a crucial topic in the presidential election, with hackers dumping documents from Hillary Clinton’s campaign online, and Trump and his supporters continuing to criticise Clinton’s use of a private email server.

“Running outdated software and operating systems for your publicly facing email infrastructure is problematic, especially when you’re a high profile organisation,” security architect Kevin Beaumont, who highlighted the issues with Trump’s servers, told Motherboard in an email. “During an election where cybersecurity is such a big issue, I was a little amazed at what I saw.”

A number of mail servers for TrumpOrg.com, a domain registered to The Trump Organization, are using end-of-life software, according to Beaumont. Those include the operating system Windows Server 2003 and IIS 6.0, which comes shipped with it.

“IIS is a webserver, and it’s particularly dangerous to run unpatched,” Beaumont told Motherboard.

You don’t say….

15. 41 Betsy
    October 18, 2016 at 10:08 am

Good morning all. Off to work I go. I hope everyone has a great day.

October 18, 2016 at 10:17 am

lol

October 18, 2016 at 10:20 am

There remain only a few weeks until this election is finally over. And barring some momentous yet unforeseen news, Donald Trump will be defeated—perhaps soundly so—giving America its first-ever woman president in Hillary Clinton.
    But any celebration of that historic milestone no doubt will be tempered by the psychic costs this nation has endured through this election. On the day after voting, even assuming calm prevails, many of you will be wondering outright: What now?
    Over the last 16 months, we collectively watched the tone of this campaign descend, from uncivil to outrageous to outright dangerous. Mr. Trump has played cynically to our darkest instincts, and he’s done much to draw us farther apart politically—even those within his own party. The forces he has rallied, and the sentiments he has stirred, are likely to infect our public discourse well past this election. He has led us down a course from which many worry we cannot readily turn back.

The rest at the link

October 18, 2016 at 10:39 am

October 18, 2016 at 10:41 am

20. 46 cd4biden
    October 18, 2016 at 11:10 am

Hi everyone. I’ve missed you all. Running way behind as I have been working a lot at our local campaign headquarters doing data entry and training others. Just learned this a.m. the campaign will go to auto dealers and online phone lists for the rest of the campaign so everyone can be calling multiple states each day, and headquarters can keep up to the minute with where calls need to be made. Talk about innovative!

So exciting, but at the same time I feel like many older people must have felt when computers put them out of a job. My skills entering call data are “no longer needed.” So I am a mixed bag of emotions. I had pretty much cleared my calendar from now until the election to work on this campaign, and now it is soooo empty. And, no, I do not make phone calls. No can do. I’ve tried, and I am a wreck the entire time, which is why I was so happy to find out about the data entry gig. I’m hoping to fit into one of the few jobs they will still have at headquarters, and will find out more later today.

Anyway, since I didn’t have to race off to “work” this morning, I thought I would stop in and say hi to everyone and say I hope you are all well, and sorry to miss the birthdays of all our Libras. And thanks for the many outstanding articles and tweets you all post. My friends think I actually spend time on line on all those websites find the articles I forward on the them. So thanks for being here and making me look so good. And thanks to Nerdy Wonka for keeping us all so happy and together here’s at TOD.
    Luv to you all 😄

• 47 GGail
      October 18, 2016 at 11:31 am

Hi Cathleen,

Thanks so much for your volunteer work! Now our team is transitioning our Data Coordinators to fill other roles since we too are changing to autodialing and three shifts per weekend. We will also have our headquarters open from 8am – 8pm every day, Nov. 6, 7, & 8th for GOTV. Here are the positions we need to fill for each shift. Maybe you can talk with your team about becoming one of these…

We will be looking to have multiple people in all of these roles.
      *Phone Bank Coordinators running multiple groups of phone bankers
      *Volunteer Coordinators to greet and assess vols as they walk in, direct them to appropriate stations, complete shifts in VAN, reshift *volunteers, get confirmation calls made for future shifts.
      *Data Coordinators/VAN experts to help volunteers navigate VAN, and deal with login/wifi/technical issues and enter data on the off chance we have to use any paper
      *Trainers who can coach new volunteers on making calls and on using the dialer.
      *Comfort Captains who arrange for water, food/snacks, keep vols happy!
      *Runners who can be a jack of all trades, including running out to get ink for the printer, or Starbucks for volunteers who have been there all day!

In addition to making virtual calls, I also will be a Phone Bank Coordinator, Volunteer Coordinator, Data Coordinator & Trainer. There is always a need on one shift or another and if you’re willing, they will be so grateful for your assistance. 🙂

21. 48 JER
    October 18, 2016 at 11:17 am

Good Morning Everybody.

Bernie Sanders’ brother…

22. 49 Bill R.
    October 18, 2016 at 11:20 am

Must see video! Stephen Schmidt, GOP analyst former McCain campaign manager, attacks final desperate tactics of doomed Trump campaign.

• 50 pkayden
      October 18, 2016 at 12:14 pm

But if it were up to Schmidt, we would still be dealing with Sarah Palin as VP. Never forget that he tried to hoist that woman on this country.

• 51 0388jojothecat
        October 18, 2016 at 2:14 pm

I would say that McCain hoisted $P on the American people and SS was doing a job for the candidate who picked his running mate at the behest of Bill Crystal, Krautheimer, and the GOP base.

23. 52 JER
    October 18, 2016 at 11:37 am

And even if he loses, your vote for Donald Trump gives the next demagogue or fascist a green-light to think he can take your country. You’re Lying to Yourself if You Think Trump is the Answer.

The Closer with Keith Olbermann | GQ

24. 55 Allison
    October 18, 2016 at 11:42 am

• 56 pkayden
      October 18, 2016 at 12:42 pm

What an awful entitled man Trump is. Imagine someone as unqualified as him having the nerve to think he could be our President and our representative on the world’s stage. ***shakes head from side to side***

Unbelievable that this is he man Republicans have nominated. They should never be allowed to live this down. Ever.

25. October 18, 2016 at 12:04 pm

26. October 18, 2016 at 12:34 pm

27. October 18, 2016 at 12:47 pm

28. October 18, 2016 at 12:53 pm

29. October 18, 2016 at 12:56 pm

30. October 18, 2016 at 1:00 pm

i think Gail would like this story…. smilin

31. October 18, 2016 at 1:01 pm

I guess he’s not a “buck stops here” kind of guy…

32. 69 Ladyhawke
    October 18, 2016 at 1:02 pm

BOOM, BURN, MIC DROP

33. October 18, 2016 at 1:03 pm

34. October 18, 2016 at 1:10 pm

Across the country, voters alarmed by the tenor of Mr. Trump’s campaign and the emerging accounts of his personal conduct are engaging in spontaneous, unorganized and inconspicuous acts of protest that take direct aim at perhaps his most prized possession: his brand name.

The rejection has extended to brands controlled by Mr. Trump’s children, whom these consumers see as aiding and abetting the candidate they increasingly revile.

• October 18, 2016 at 2:11 pm

LOL! I had one of those moments a couple of weeks ago while browsing SteinMarts’ red dot 75% off rack. Found a BEAUTIFUL blouse, would have been less than 5 bucks after all of the markdowns; dropped it like it was poison when I saw Ivanka’s name on the label!

October 18, 2016 at 1:10 pm

October 18, 2016 at 1:11 pm

October 18, 2016 at 1:12 pm

zing.

38. October 18, 2016 at 1:12 pm

Just so we are clear… Media is being dishonest when they say Obama Clinton reset with Russia/Putin in 2009-2010…
    Bc.. Putin wasn’t president of Russia then!!!
    Just saying!

39. October 18, 2016 at 1:16 pm

40. 81 JER
    October 18, 2016 at 1:17 pm

President Barack Obama sits down with Stephen Colbert for a frank discussion of his career prospects after he leaves office.

October 18, 2016 at 1:28 pm

didn’t this mag of a rag derail edwards in 2008?

• 83 Obama Grandmama
      October 18, 2016 at 1:59 pm

I thought that was the Enquirer that derailed Edwards with info of his affair.

• 84 0388jojothecat
        October 18, 2016 at 2:03 pm

Yes, it was the Enquirer and the owner I heard was a good friend of DT. When standing in line at he grocery checkout you don’t see too many negative stories about him but I noticed a lot about Bill & Hill.

42. 85 57andfemale
    October 18, 2016 at 1:45 pm

A must-read:

43. 86 Nena20409
    October 18, 2016 at 2:00 pm

Hello TOD. Gorgeous today in MN. Sunny. 55F now. It’s warming up 😉
    Thanks, NW for all you do.
    Arapaho has the Gold ⭐ Congrats 🙂
    {{{{ ❤ Chips ❤ }}}}

October 18, 2016 at 2:05 pm

Vogue endorses Hillary Clinton for president

Vogue has, for the first time in its history, endorsed a candidate for president, throwing its support behind Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton.

“Vogue has no history of political endorsements,” read the unsigned endorsement of Clinton, which Vogue published online Tuesday. “Editors in chief have made their opinions known from time to time, but the magazine has never spoken in an election with a single voice. Given the profound stakes of this one, and the history that stands to be made, we feel that should change.”

The magazine cited Clinton’s experience in foreign policy, her tax plan, her support of gun control legislation and her support for LGBTQ rights, immigration reform, women’s rights and health care reform as reasons for endorsing the former secretary of state.

“We understand that Clinton has not always been a perfect candidate, yet her fierce intelligence and considerable experience are reflected in policies and positions that are clear, sound and hopeful,” the endorsement reads.

October 18, 2016 at 2:13 pm

gopolitico sez that dscc has pulled support from patrick murphy for FL sen. uuggh, typical clueless dem establishment pulling support from a critical senate seat which could also depress hillary’s votes in FL.

46. 91 Nena20409
    October 18, 2016 at 2:16 pm

October 18, 2016 at 2:18 pm

48. October 18, 2016 at 2:33 pm

49. October 18, 2016 at 2:33 pm

CUBAN SAID…
    “Look, you have to ask yourself what’s the market for a former president giving a speech, right? So, first of all, Ronald Reagan was paid more than a million dollars for speeches in 1989. He went to Japan and gave two speeches.”

Boom! Cuban hit Fox News wear they live with that quote. The network is basically a shrine at which to worship Ronald Reagan, and they love them some capitalism, so Cuban’s words were a stinging rebuttal of their utter hypocrisy. Bill Clinton, according to Mark Cuban and those pesky little facts, simply took the fees that the market garnered him. That’s capitalism, baby!

50. October 18, 2016 at 2:36 pm

🙂

51. October 18, 2016 at 2:36 pm

Terrific post. Love PM Renzi. He’s funny and smart. Looking forward to tonight’s dinner. Any relief from #Trump 24/7

52. October 18, 2016 at 2:39 pm

I adore PM Renzi!! He is smart and compassionate with a great sense of humor. Love the respect, honor and deep affection he and PBO have for each other, as well as between their wives. Such a beautiful thing to see.

53. October 18, 2016 at 2:44 pm

.03% increase for COLA SS in 2017?

Yuck!

54. 105 JER
    October 18, 2016 at 2:59 pm

NOW: Sen. Tim Kaine Campaigns in Detroit, Mich. – http://abcnews.go.com/live?stream=5

55. 106 Nena20409
    October 18, 2016 at 3:01 pm

56. 107 JER
    October 18, 2016 at 3:02 pm

SOON: Bill Clinton Campaigns in Blue Bell, Pa. – http://abcnews.go.com/live?stream=8

57. 108 Nena20409
    October 18, 2016 at 3:05 pm

The True King of Rock & Roll is 09 yrs young Today.

58. October 18, 2016 at 3:07 pm

Thank goodness our children have the good sense……..

59. 110 Nena20409
    October 18, 2016 at 3:10 pm

60. 111 JER
    October 18, 2016 at 3:14 pm

President Obama and Prime Minister Matteo Renzi of Italy greet school children and other guests after reviewing the troops during the State Arrival ceremony today. .. Pete Souza

61. 113 MadameSoph
    October 18, 2016 at 3:31 pm

Ciao TOD!

Non vedo l’ora di vedere l’abito della nostra FLOTUS per la cena di Stato stasera!

I can’t wait to see our First Lady’s dress for the State Dinner tonight!!!

62. 114 Nena20409
    October 18, 2016 at 3:35 pm

63. 116 MadameSoph
    October 18, 2016 at 3:42 pm

Here is the official Italian YouTube of the arrival of Renzi and his wife and also Roberto Benigni and Beatrice Vio, the Italian Paralympic champion:

64. 117 Nena20409
    October 18, 2016 at 3:59 pm

Please read with caution.

@POTUS