Oct

Early Bird Chat: Happy Diwali

14563461_555043898018788_3943316094974479722_n

President Obama

To all who are celebrating the festival of lights across America and around the world, happy Diwali. As Hindus, Jains, Sikhs, and Buddhists light the diya, share in prayers, decorate their homes, and open their doors to host and feast with loved ones, we recognize that this holiday rejoices in the triumph of good over evil and knowledge over ignorance. It also speaks to a broader truth about our shared American experience. It’s a reminder of what’s possible when we see beyond the differences that too often divide us. It’s a reflection of the hopes and dreams that bind us together. And it’s a time to renew our collective obligation to deepen those bonds, to stand in each other’s shoes and see the world through each other’s eyes, and to embrace each other as brothers and sisters – and as fellow Americans.

I was proud to be the first President to host a Diwali celebration at the White House in 2009, and Michelle and I will never forget how the people of India welcomed us with open arms and hearts and danced with us in Mumbai on Diwali. This year, I was honored to kindle the first-ever diya in the Oval Office – a lamp that symbolizes how darkness will always be overcome by light. It is a tradition that I hope future Presidents will continue.

On behalf of the entire Obama family, I wish you and your loved ones peace and happiness on this Diwali.

130 Responses to “Early Bird Chat: Happy Diwali”

1. October 30, 2016 at 11:36 am

GM, TOD! Still hiding out; trying to get rid of this pneumonia… Thanks for all of the best wishes…

2. 13 jey
    October 30, 2016 at 11:38 am

GOTV … I am looking forward to HRC presidency!
    🙂
    Happy Diwali 🙂

3. 14 GGAIL
    October 30, 2016 at 11:41 am

Good West Coast morning TOD family and thanks so much NW 🌹
    I want to give a big shout out of Thanks to Director Comey. We had wall to wall people at our phone bank at the 12-3 and 3-6 shifts!!! And I am so happy to report that several men have come each Saturday to make calls. It has been exhausting yet encouraging 🎉🎉

Peace and love on this Diwali 💕

• October 30, 2016 at 12:39 pm

” I DO care that the once esteemed 4th Estate, upon which most Americans rely to report FACTS has turned into a freakin’ 24/7 reality show filled with guest appearances by every freakin’ loser with an unsubstantiated and factless ‘opinion’ that God ever put on this earth.”

At what point will the media 1) take responsibility for and 2) be held accountable for what this election process — our democracy — has come to? They are the enablers that have allowed the GOP — and especially the current GOP nominee — to diminish the policies and issues that should be the focus and make prominent the craziness of conspiracies, accusations, and hate-filled attacks against individuals and groups. They have provided the forum that has allowed bigotry to erode the values upon which this country was founded; the values upon which this country has grown.

• 17 CEB
      October 30, 2016 at 1:05 pm

Amen, amen, amen to ALL of this. Democrats are sick and tired of all of the lies, obstruct, suppression, and injustice. The only way for repubs. to win is to game the system aided by the media that is owned by a few corporations and individuals. But it is still, one person, one vote and if we GOTV we can still win this thing as we did in 2008 and 2012. All of this blatant cheating has at least raised a sleeping giant and we are showing up and showing out.

• 18 pkayden
      October 30, 2016 at 2:53 pm

Thank you for this!!

4. 19 Ladyhawke
    October 30, 2016 at 11:46 am

October 30, 2016 at 11:48 am

• 23 pkayden
      October 30, 2016 at 3:45 pm

This is the hypocrisy that should lead our side to come out and vote straight Democratic tickets. Republicans don’t care about Secretary Clinton using a private email server. They care about using it as a cudgel to gain political power. That is all.

6. 24 Nerdy Wonka
    October 30, 2016 at 11:52 am

This is what we’re fighting against. This is why we must win. Fuck the emails.

I want these racist assholes to weep on November 8th.

• 25 Judith Fardig
      October 30, 2016 at 12:28 pm

A (horrendous) picture says 1,000 words. We HAVE to work our asses off to win this election!

• October 30, 2016 at 12:43 pm

It’s sad that individuals feel free to be open and blatant about their hatred…no shame or embarrassment.

• October 30, 2016 at 1:05 pm

…and then there’s this…

• 31 CEB
      October 30, 2016 at 1:35 pm

I would really like it that photos like this not be posted on this blog. It is horrible enough to know this kind of behavior exists without seeing it in a place that is supposed to be a refuge.

• October 30, 2016 at 2:26 pm

This is one time that i will have to disagree with you….

we have a man who condones…. in fact encourages this Hatred…who is a heartbeat away from the Presidency…the racists have been emboldened…there is no refuge from this…

We Fight….WE Fight…

• 33 carla4obama
        October 30, 2016 at 2:59 pm

We need to see the truth.

• 34 pkayden
        October 30, 2016 at 3:59 pm

It’s important to know who our enemy is and why we are so determined to ensure that Trump does not win. This is a perfect portrayal of why we must work hard to continue President Obama’s legacy and not let racists like the man in the tweet win on November 8th.

It is painful to look at that awful picture but we cannot close our eyes to what is going on in this country. By the way, I’ve emailed University of Wisconsin, UW Madison Police and the Wisconsin chapter of the NAACP about this. This man should have never been allowed to display this threat against our President.

7. 35 whenpamelawandered
    October 30, 2016 at 11:52 am

Many Blessings, Abundant Light to All!

8. 36 FoxfireTX
    October 30, 2016 at 11:57 am

Good day TOD! And Happy Diwali to everyone.

Great piece by JoAnne Reid on the weaponization of the FBI by the GOP Congress. Republicans Weaponize James Comey’s FBI To Kneecap Hillary Clinton

I raised this issue back in July when Comey testified and made his unprecedented statement. At the conclusion of that hearing, Chaffetz indicated he would be sending a demand to the FBI that it investigate Clinton to determine whether she had committed perjury in her Congressional testimony.

The last thing the FBI should be is a political investigation branch for the GOP. But this is what it is becoming. We have seen exactly how this would play out even further under a Trump presidency, but it is already happening. I believe that in fact Chaffetz served that demand on the FBI, and presumably they are investigating.

I don’t have the knowledge to know how the FBI proceeds on demands, or whether it has the authority to simply decline to investigate (presumably it does) but this needs to stop now. Comey’s actions have basically destroyed any belief in its objectivity, but if it is pursuing this new investigation at the behest of the GOP, it will forever tarnish this institution. I have given up on thinking the GOP will ever feel any shame for its actions in destroying our institutions, but I hope that somehow Clinton will be able shut this down. She can’t stop the Congressional investigations if the GOP is in the majority, but it is imperative that the GOP be shut down from using the FBI for its own political maneuvering. I can’t see Comey surviving this, a Hatch Act violation has been filed against him,
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/30/opinion/on-clinton-emails-did-the-fbi-director-abuse-his-power.html, but the next director must put a stop to this outrageous practice.

9. 37 Nerdy Wonka
    October 30, 2016 at 12:00 pm

• 38 CEB
      October 30, 2016 at 1:20 pm

Reagan was only popular with white folks. All you have to do is review the photos during his funeral in D.C., a “chocolate city.” Thousands turned out and no Black faces were to be found. Many liked him because he ignored the Black Caucus, Black people and made whites feel that they could now ignore us and “take their country back” after the heyday of the Civil Rights movement. So this popularity myth that we hear so much about Reagan must come with an asterisk. PBO’s popularity, on the other hand, reflects the hard work that he has done for all and his success against great odds.

• October 30, 2016 at 1:37 pm

I’ll just add Reagan was gruesome for California when he was governor. I’ll never understand his appeal.

• 40 CEB
          October 30, 2016 at 1:42 pm

In one of the debates he told Jimmy Carter that “he wasn’t aware of a race problem in America” and I can still see the WTF expression on Carter’s face. But then, In Orange County, I guess he did not see any POC. Reagan’s name is anathema among Black people.

• October 30, 2016 at 4:31 pm

I agree wholeheartedly. He was our first terrible governor.

• 42 pkayden
        October 30, 2016 at 4:03 pm

My husband and I were saying just that yesterday. I only saw two or three Black faces in that long line of visitors when he lay in state at the Capitol despite the fact that D.C. is a majority Black/Latino city. We Black people never cared for Reagan at all. I still call the airport in D.C. “National Airport” as I refuse to identify Reagan with anything of importance.

10. October 30, 2016 at 12:04 pm

11. October 30, 2016 at 12:10 pm

Hello TOD.. just giving you a heads-up to check your e-mail as Hillary has sent out a message to

Join PBO on the phone today at 3.15pm. You have to RSVP in order to get a text from them with the

diai-in info. I know we could all use some mega inspiration from our President just about now so

lets respond and get a dose of calm from our CIC.

Off to volunteer again today. That helps to calm my nerves and to shut out the negativity.

12. October 30, 2016 at 12:13 pm

If Trump supporters can ignore Trump sins, like bragging about grabbing women’s pussies against their will, like the fact that he is a racists and a liar, well to me I say bye-bye emails.

• 48 No Child Left Behind
      October 30, 2016 at 3:00 pm

Bella,

I am here with you. I was never bothered by those e-mails and would not CERTAINLY start now. What I need is to be standing on line and VOTE on November 8.

• 49 pkayden
      October 30, 2016 at 4:36 pm

I’ve never cared about the email server issue. I don’t even understand why it’s an issue in the first place when other Secretary of States did the same thing.

13. October 30, 2016 at 12:23 pm

14. 51 whenpamelawandered
    October 30, 2016 at 12:25 pm

All the Firsts, PBO has done more to bring the world together than any other human being alive, or no longer alive! Off to take my little lady to church – back later this afternoon! Big Hugs All Around! ❤📿🕉❤🕉📿❤

15. 55 Ladyhawke
    October 30, 2016 at 12:32 pm

16. October 30, 2016 at 12:55 pm

At first I thought she was talking about a new weekday schedule…we can always hope.

17. October 30, 2016 at 12:57 pm

Period.

#ALL50

#YesWeMUST

18. 60 PrayerWarriorforObama
    October 30, 2016 at 1:07 pm

Prior to PBO’s advent into The USA’s presidential race, I knew nothing of the inner workings of my northerly neighbour’s politics. Then, Oprah endorsed him, and being an Oprahbot, I fully embraced him, his family and his brand of uplifting politics. Since then, I have spent a portion of my daily morning devotions praying for him, his family, his presidency and this extraordinary blog that has devotedly supported him. I pray every day that God will bless, guide and prosper him, his family, presidency and supporters.

It took me a awhile to be comfortable with Hillary Clinton’s bid for the presidency, I must admit. I remember the ill feelings of 2008. I may not be an American, but I dearly love PBO and his family; and I am very protective of those I love. So when I prayed in the morning, I thanked God that a true Democrat would succeed PBO. I thanked him that it would not be Bernie Sanders or Donald Trump. However, over the past few weeks, I have surprisingly been praying, “thank you God that Hillary Clinton will succeed PBO as the 45th president of the USA”. I have been praying that with an assurance that it will be so.

Have a truly blessed Sunday and week TOD family. And remember, no weapon (that includes the FBI director) formed against you, PBO or Hillary shall prosper or even come nigh unto you. God is in control.

• 61 CEB
      October 30, 2016 at 1:31 pm

Thank you for your prayers. While he is president of the US, he has a world-wide influence and many enemies because of it here and abroad. I believe that he is the most prayed up president that we have ever had because we know the powers of darkness have come for him, his family, and all who work with him for us. Thank you also for your prayers for HRC; our republic and much of the world need her to succeed.

19. 62 Ladyhawke
    October 30, 2016 at 1:10 pm

BURN

20. 64 arapaho415
    October 30, 2016 at 1:17 pm

GM/GA TODville.

So deplorable to see what’s going on in this election, and will agonizingly only ratchet up until Nov 8.

I hang my head in shame to see the public face #DeplorableAmerica is turning toward the world now.

Here’s Sunday news from HRC on the campaign trail in Miami FL (much more enjoyable photos than those posted upthread — you know which ones I’m referring to):

And this warms my heart no end — a photo of President Barack Obama, just like their grandparents and others from that generation did during JFK presidency:

21. 67 Nena20409
    October 30, 2016 at 1:29 pm

Good Afternoon TODbots.
    Not as Nippy today in MN, however, it’s Cloudy & Zero Sunshine 😦
    Thanks to NW, TOD Keeps Rocking & Rolling.
    Congrats, Jazziz2 for your Au ⭐
    {{{{ ❤ Chips ❤ }}}} Miss you, Lady 🙂

22. 68 Nena20409
    October 30, 2016 at 1:36 pm

23. 69 Nena20409
    October 30, 2016 at 1:42 pm

The more that Comes out, the sinnester it gets.

• 70 idon
      October 30, 2016 at 2:05 pm

This paragraph seems very significant. “Officials familiar with the case said the messages number in the thousands and include correspondence of Abedin and Clinton — but it was unclear whether Clinton was the sender of any emails. [b] Abedin has told people that she is unsure how her emails could have ended up on a device she viewed as belonging to her husband[/b], according to a person familiar with the investigation and civil litigation over the matter.”

So who planted Huma’s emails on her husband’s device?

24. 71 Nena20409
    October 30, 2016 at 1:46 pm

25. 73 JER
    October 30, 2016 at 1:53 pm

26. 74 JER
    October 30, 2016 at 1:58 pm

SOON: Hillary Clinton Attends Campaign Rally in Wilton Manors, Florida – http://abcnews.go.com/live?stream=2

27. 75 Nena20409
    October 30, 2016 at 2:45 pm

October 30, 2016 at 2:46 pm

Good afternoon Nerdy & TOD! Happy Diwali to all who celebrate. 🙂 May everyone have a peaceful, healthy Sunday.

29. October 30, 2016 at 2:56 pm

Reassuring words from David Plouffe

30. October 30, 2016 at 2:57 pm

Lookin’ good for Dems in NV according to Jon Ralson:

31. 82 No Child Left Behind
    October 30, 2016 at 2:58 pm

//www.c-span.org/video/?417744-1/hillary-clinton-campaign-event-wilton-manors-florida

32. 83 Nerdy Wonka
    October 30, 2016 at 3:18 pm

• 84 pkayden
      October 30, 2016 at 5:59 pm

Trump should be more than just a footnote. He should be tied like an anchor around the Republican Party’s neck since they supported him and tried to push his fraudulent candidacy on our country.

33. 85 arapaho415
    October 30, 2016 at 3:19 pm

GA again, TODville.

Here’s your dose of heartwarming adorableness today.

Literally said out loud, “Awww, look at how cute she is.”

October 30, 2016 at 3:30 pm

Love the fact that real little kids have NO IDEA we haven’t previously had Presidents who were either African American or (hopefully) women!

34. 87 Nerdy Wonka
    October 30, 2016 at 3:26 pm

35. 89 a4alice
    October 30, 2016 at 3:30 pm

36. 90 a4alice
    October 30, 2016 at 3:31 pm

I’m seeing lots of this today! #VOTEDEM

37. 91 a4alice
    October 30, 2016 at 3:37 pm

hey I just saw Rock tweeted this. Must be a phone call from PBO:

October 30, 2016 at 3:40 pm

There is a horrid mess in here somewhere….being suffocated right now by DT lawyers…

October 30, 2016 at 3:42 pm

October 30, 2016 at 3:47 pm

Almost cried, hearing his voice. His normal, sane, humble, wonderful, uplifting voice.

• 96 FoxfireTX
        October 30, 2016 at 4:07 pm

Sooo agree with this sentiment. Can’t imagine what it is going to be like when we no longer know what he’s doing every day.

40. October 30, 2016 at 3:59 pm

These deserve wide attention ….

41. 103 Nena20409
    October 30, 2016 at 4:09 pm

• October 30, 2016 at 4:25 pm

Thank you for David Plouffe’s tweet Nena20409. It is very comforting to hear this from such an experienced
      person who knows of which he speaks. All the others are bluster and noise.
      This makes my day.

42. 105 Nena20409
    October 30, 2016 at 4:19 pm

43. October 30, 2016 at 4:28 pm

While Ukraine is still being occupied by Putin’s thugs ….

back to work ….

44. 107 sjterrid
    October 30, 2016 at 5:05 pm

Happy Diwali to all those that celebrate here.

45. 108 donna dem 4 obama
    October 30, 2016 at 5:32 pm

Souls To The Polls

• 109 pkayden
      October 30, 2016 at 6:35 pm

Ohio is going to be tight so hopefully our side gets out and votes and gives Secretary Clinton an edge. Yes. We. Can!

46. 110 donna dem 4 obama
    October 30, 2016 at 5:34 pm

47. 112 donna dem 4 obama
    October 30, 2016 at 5:35 pm

48. 113 a4alice
    October 30, 2016 at 5:36 pm

49. 114 Ladyhawke
    October 30, 2016 at 5:36 pm

50. 117 donna dem 4 obama
    October 30, 2016 at 5:51 pm

51. 118 Ladyhawke
    October 30, 2016 at 6:17 pm

52. October 30, 2016 at 6:32 pm

If this is a repeat post, please forgive me. But this is rank cowardice of the GOP. Read Reich’s conversation with a former Congressman.

53. 122 a4alice
    October 30, 2016 at 6:38 pm

another OH Early voting pic!

54. October 30, 2016 at 6:53 pm

55. 127 JER
    October 30, 2016 at 7:04 pm

56. 129 a4alice
    October 30, 2016 at 7:28 pm

57. 130 CEB
    October 30, 2016 at 7:30 pm

Really the various media outlets, the politicians. the pundits and the lawyers, all those whose jobs depend upon all of this BS are talking to each other while the rest of us are voting. The blabber-mouths need to just stfu and report on the final outcome.

@POTUS