Jan

Orator In Chief

barack-obama-writing-a-letter1

Jacqueline OBoomer: Orator-in-Chief

He wrote what he saw “in Lincoln’s eyes”
And to some of us reading it was no surprise
That we were certainly in for a treat
When Barack H. Obama rose to his feet
Remember when we heard him speak
At that Democratic National Convention
His remarks got rave reviews in ’04
Much more than honorable mention

obama-2004-speech

And during his first presidential campaign
When we craved to hear him even more
Remember he told us that we … we …
Were the ones we’d been waiting for
When he cajoled we’re ” … a nation of immigrants …
… strangers once, too,” he stood tall
Prodding us to come together as one, for
“Embracing tribe dooms us all”
From his loftiest words heard in a consoling speech:
“Faith doesn’t mean that you don’t have doubt”

article-obama-11-0727

To his hysterically funny two words to the press:
“Obama, Out!”
Sometimes he delivered oration in a hymn
Often his words caught us all on fire
This man seems to have come out of history
In colonial days, he’d have been a town crier
We love this man, his mind, voice, and tone
We see he’s armed us better than we were before
And when we wonder if we’ll be able to go it alone
We whisper we are the ones we’ve been waiting for
And isn’t that the proof of the orator he’s been
And the fact we seldom see his kind
We’re not sure which of our heartstrings he pulled
But we know he also left his words in our minds
And this year we thank him
Genuinely, without measure
For being Orator-in-Chief
And our national treasure

1469749434-day_3_at_the_dnc-8

149 Responses to “Orator In Chief”

1. January 10, 2017 at 1:06 pm

Makes me cry when I look at him. Thank you Nerdy for all you do for us.

January 10, 2017 at 1:20 pm

What an honor to be associated with our President in such a way. Thank you, Nerdy Wonderful! Made my day. If we were closer, I’d bring you chocolates!

3. 12 No Child Left Behind
    January 10, 2017 at 1:23 pm

Good Afternoon TODVille.

From Orator-in-Chief to common plagiaror…

CNN.
    HarperCollins said that it will stop selling a book by Monica Crowley that an investigation by CNN’s KFile found to have more than 50 instances of plagiarism.

The conservative author and television personality was picked by President-elect Donald Trump to serve as senior director of strategic communications for the National Security Council.

“The book, which has reached the end of its natural sales cycle, will no longer be offered for purchase until such time as the author has the opportunity to source and revise the material,” according the statement from HarperCollins.

January 10, 2017 at 1:33 pm

Hey, JO’B, we’ve got to make this easier to be shared! Come on guys & dolls, pass it along!

5. 14 Allison
    January 10, 2017 at 1:47 pm

6. 16 Allison
    January 10, 2017 at 1:48 pm

• 17 pkayden
      January 10, 2017 at 2:56 pm

Good for you, Kerry. You saw something in Senator Obama way back in 2004 which we have seen for the last 8 years.

7. January 10, 2017 at 1:54 pm

Oh {{{{{{{{{Jacqueline}}}}}}}}} you do us all so proud with your brilliant poetry and grateful expression to our magnificent President Obama.

Thank you {{{{{{{NW}}}}}}} for featuring “Orator-in-Chief”!!!!!

8. January 10, 2017 at 1:54 pm

For the record …..

• 21 No Child Left Behind
      January 10, 2017 at 2:09 pm

Bob,

You are good!

Thank you.

• 22 pkayden
      January 10, 2017 at 3:07 pm

Exactly. President Obama gets all the credit for turning around an awful economy and creating millions of jobs. Shows you how big a narcissist Trump is that he’s trying to take credit for the good economy. The nerve!

• 23 COS
      January 10, 2017 at 3:10 pm

I wonder which Democrat will come in and clean up his s%%%. Without fail, he will make America worse again. Republicans are noted for that.

9. January 10, 2017 at 2:12 pm

10. 25 sherijr
    January 10, 2017 at 2:41 pm

Well done JO’B ~ you always get it just right 🙂 and thank you Nerdy for showcasing her poem.. and POTUS 🙂

11. 27 Anjo
    January 10, 2017 at 2:55 pm

Daily reminder…

Heavenly Father thank you on behalf of the sick and frightened that the RATS (republicans are thrashy shit) dont have the votes to make America sick again

12. 29 mtmarilyn
    January 10, 2017 at 3:10 pm

Again JOB, I do want a way to have all of your Obama poems and others too. You have a way of saying what all of us are feeling. I have such strong feelings but putting them in words is something I have never been able to do. Thank you, thank you.

Nerdy Wonka, you are so precious to all of us.

13. 30 globalcitizenlinda
    January 10, 2017 at 3:12 pm

Thanks alot O-Sister JO’B for this fantastic poem. Thanks alot to ever-dedicated NW for the set up and for all you do for us. We have been blessed

January 10, 2017 at 3:12 pm

We’ll never forget our Joey! And Jill!

***

At the station

All aboard!
    One poet said the east and the west are mine
    The north and the south are mine
    And one poet said two roads diverged in a wood
    And he took the one less traveled by
    Then one poet said if you get there before I do
    Unlatch the shutters on the eastern side
    Don’t be alarmed when what’s familiar
    Starts fading, the same poet said
    But Joe, oh Joe, you are the traveler we look to
    And look for, on our own rides across the land
    You took the train trip before us
    And will after us and Joe, oh Joe,
    We wish we could have gone along for the ride
    Through the countryside
    That loved its Irish son
    And the train he rode in on
    And the stories he told
    And the hands he shook
    A poet in his own right
    With only the hum of the rails
    To get him through
    And thoughts of the people he loved
    And me and you
    How he cared about each and every one
    Now the station’s been named after him
    The train has reserved seating for him
    He will always remain a
    Faithful traveler
    And favorite son
    And he was always heading home
    To his sons
    Godspeed, Joe, Godspeed!

15. 38 JER
    January 10, 2017 at 3:32 pm

16. 39 Jey
    January 10, 2017 at 3:38 pm

Good day TOD’ers.

Watching CNN now. Orrin Hatch praising Sessions during the confirmation hearing. BLECH.
    I hope someone will start a movement toward election reform.

17. 40 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    January 10, 2017 at 3:39 pm

MAY OUR PRECIOUS LORD PROTECT AND STRENGTHEN PRESIDENT OBAMA THIS EVENING..THIS IS NOT EASY…I PROBABLY WILL NOT WATCH BECAUSE IT IS TOO HARD………..<3

18. 41 CEB
    January 10, 2017 at 3:40 pm

My wish, hope, prayer for tonight:
    That the ratings on every medium are sky-high never to be out-done until there is another worthy of PBO’s legacy, and that people who watch the farewell will out-number those who watch the events of 1/20/2017.
    That he is even more inspired and flawless in his delivery completely carrying out his intent.
    That ears, hearts, and minds are receptive to the point that the address comforts, inspires positive action, and even softens some hearts that have been so hardened.
    That people all over the world will be able hear/see this address and may it remind them that wherever they are, yes, they can.
    That there be words and phrases that will become important quotes that will become part of our collective culture, repeated through the ages to become proverbs.
    That the accolades (even though he is not concerned about this) come pouring in.
    That he have a good night’s rest, an even calmer mind and steady resolve to live out the next chapter of his life being the best, husband, father, friend, and citizen that he can.

Barack Hussein Obama, second of his name, son of Barack Sr. and Ann, long departed-blessed be; He that is name-blessed “he who cares for people across the land,” loving and loyal husband to Michelle Robinson Obama, father to Malia and Sasha Obama, Commander in- Chief of the combined armed forces, gifted orator, writer and scientist-in-chief, two term 44th President of the United States of America and citizen: we thank you for the blessing of your service.

A grateful nation and world.

19. 48 Allison
    January 10, 2017 at 3:42 pm

David Plouffe
    40 mins ·
    Facebook Mentions

I am thrilled to be joining Mark Zuckerberg and Priscilla Chan on the journey to advance human potential and promote equal opportunity thru the work of the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative.
    When announcing the Initiative, Mark and Priscilla stated that, “We must participate in policy and advocacy to shape debates. Many institutions are unwilling to do this, but progress must be supported by movements to be sustainable.”
    As the President of Chan Zuckerberg Initiative Policy and Advocacy, my job will be to find creative ways to lift the voices of those who want to build a better future – no matter where they live, their background or their ideology. Curing disease, improving education through personalized learning and building technology and tools to help organizations reach their full potential are areas with wide spread support and massive potential for mobilization, great storytelling and smart policy engagement.
    Mark and Priscilla have built a great team and I am honored to join them. I’m looking forward to partnering with world-class leaders like Jim Shelton, Cori Bargmann and Brian Pinkerton to help them realize their visions. I’m also eagerly anticipating collaborating with and learning from Ken Mehlman, someone I have deep respect and admiration for. The Policy Advisory Board he will build and chair will bring additional important voices and perspectives to our work
    Getting up every day and going to work simply trying to make the world a better place for more people will be a privilege. If you are interested in joining us, please visit https://jobs.lever.co/chanzuckerberg
    I want to thank Travis Kalanick and the team at Uber for an eventful and fascinating ride and am excited that I will remain on the Uber board as the company continues to revolutionize the way people all around the world move around their cities.
    Please follow us at the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative Facebook page and we look forward to working with all of you in the months and years ahead.
    Image may contain: 3 people, people sitting and living room
    21 Likes1 Comment

20. 49 JER
    January 10, 2017 at 3:52 pm

21. 50 JER
    January 10, 2017 at 3:58 pm

22. January 10, 2017 at 4:21 pm

OMG, this is hard.

23. 63 57andfemale
    January 10, 2017 at 4:53 pm

How the hell did we get HERE?!?!

24. 65 JER
    January 10, 2017 at 4:56 pm

25. 66 JER
    January 10, 2017 at 4:58 pm

BREAKING: Jury sentences Dylann Roof to death in the Charleston church massacre case

26. 70 whenpamelawandered
    January 10, 2017 at 5:17 pm

👏🏼 {{{ JO’B }}} ❤👊🏼

27. 72 JER
    January 10, 2017 at 5:18 pm

28. 74 Allison
    January 10, 2017 at 5:28 pm

• January 10, 2017 at 5:51 pm

Duh! Who is surprised about this?

• 76 sherijr
        January 10, 2017 at 6:42 pm

I actually am. I figured they just paid him- a lot – or they forgave his loans… frankly I didn’t think they could have anything on him that would bother him/ frighten him as he seems incapable of being blackmailed due to his willingness to say and do anything without fear of retribution. So, I am very much surprised.

• 77 COS
        January 10, 2017 at 8:30 pm

I am not at all surprised.

• 78 pkayden
      January 10, 2017 at 6:13 pm

Yes of course they do. They hacked the GOP too so this is no surprise. What will Trump do to keep the Russians happy? Now that’s the crucial question.

29. 79 JER
    January 10, 2017 at 5:43 pm

President Barack Obama waves as he walks with first lady Michelle Obama and daughter Malia, toward Marine One while departing from the White House.

30. 81 JER
    January 10, 2017 at 6:11 pm

LIVE NOW: Sec’y Kerry Celebrates the Completion of the US Diplomacy Center – http://abcnews.go.com/Live

31. 82 JER
    January 10, 2017 at 6:19 pm

32. January 10, 2017 at 6:21 pm

JER…
    i understand that all of the President’s digital info is to be archived…but after Jan 20…it all goes dark…do you know how we can find it….feeling a bit panicky…

also every one and his momma wants to talk about PBOs accomplishments…we could used all this during the time he was in office…maybe if the press had spoken about the President’s accomplishments and challenged the lies..the election may have had a different outcome

33. January 10, 2017 at 6:25 pm

34. 87 JER
    January 10, 2017 at 6:28 pm

President Obama Arrives in Chicago for Farewell Address – http://abcnews.go.com/Live

35. January 10, 2017 at 6:37 pm

Info leaking out about how Putin has info on Trump that could lead to blackmail……i think the info is more that…i think that the info points to collusion between Trump and Putin re: hacking of the emails…….

.if the intel community had this info…then so does the President….should the President bring it up…and if not him… then who….the Justice Department?…all these folks have less than a week to remain in place…is anyone in Congress going to move on outcome of this investigation…i do not think so

36. January 10, 2017 at 7:02 pm

37. 92 Don
    January 10, 2017 at 7:08 pm

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL! Trump is a real pisser, I’m sorry I couldn’t resist.

January 10, 2017 at 7:20 pm

Look at him.Look at our amazing, thoughtful, funny, genuine…trustworthy President. I love you, President Obama. Just love you.

January 10, 2017 at 7:28 pm

Deciding if I should record on the DVR or just watch here and know that I can find it online later to repeat watching as needed….What should I do?

40. January 10, 2017 at 7:49 pm

January 10, 2017 at 7:50 pm

42. January 10, 2017 at 7:50 pm

MSM makes me sick

43. January 10, 2017 at 7:52 pm

44. January 10, 2017 at 8:08 pm

January 10, 2017 at 8:14 pm

Against civil right AND women’s rights.

46. 116 carolyn
    January 10, 2017 at 8:18 pm

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO going to miss President Obama as POTUS. As far as I am concerned, He IS president, will always be president. He inhabits the office as no one else has in my lifetime. LIke most of you, I just can’t stop crying. I wish I could be in McCormick Place tonight.

One Obama moment no one else has mentioned, and one that has stayed with me is when he spoke to the entire British Parliament and other European officers in Westminster Palace. He was only the second president of the U.S. ever invited to address this body. I watched it from beginning to end. His greeting, the ovations, the honors they showered on him blessed my soul. He was treated as he should have been treated the entire time here. People don’t speak about that speech, but he laid out his entire foreign policy, and direction for the world in a comprehensive, cogent, beautiful way, and if people had listened and paid attention (YOU media) they would not have been surprised by his actions in the next five years. I was bursting my buttons watching that day. That was back when MSNBC actually broadcast entire events of his.

47. 117 No Child Left Behind
    January 10, 2017 at 8:20 pm

48. January 10, 2017 at 8:23 pm

I love Josh Earnest. That is all.

January 10, 2017 at 8:23 pm

50. 131 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    January 10, 2017 at 8:25 pm

HERE………………………WAITING………………….

51. 132 No Child Left Behind
    January 10, 2017 at 8:26 pm

January 10, 2017 at 8:26 pm

January 10, 2017 at 8:28 pm

More….

54. January 10, 2017 at 8:29 pm

Thank you NW. Jacqueline, your words have me weeping again. I don’t want President Obama to leave office. But I know that’s selfish of me. He and his family gave this nation – gave us his all for 8 years. He lived in a fish bowl and sacrificed for us. Now he will be a little freer to accomplish even more. So even though my heart is heavy, I too am glad he won’t be caged.

January 10, 2017 at 8:29 pm

Good evening Nerdy & TOD! I am all set to watch our President’s speech, but I know my heart will be heavy….

I have my tissues ready.

56. 137 No Child Left Behind
    January 10, 2017 at 8:32 pm

57. January 10, 2017 at 8:33 pm

YUP. YUP.

58. 143 CEB
    January 10, 2017 at 8:34 pm

So far, I am planning to dvr and watch the speech on C-span. Will there be a watch party on the blog?

January 10, 2017 at 8:38 pm

60. 145 No Child Left Behind
    January 10, 2017 at 8:39 pm

61. 146 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    January 10, 2017 at 8:42 pm

GOING TO MY CELL TO WATCH THE PRESIDENT ON TV,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

62. 148 otter 44
    January 10, 2017 at 8:42 pm

Thank you JOB for your wonderful poems. Please put them together. I would love to buy a book of them. To all TODers thank you for enlightening me and sharing with me the joy and awesomeness of our FOREVER PRESIDENT for the past 8 year. The lump in my throat is huge but ready to watch. I love our first family.

@POTUS