Mar

Saving ACA

WhatIsWorking

Good Saturday to you all

I wanted to ask for your help. While we all chase the Russia Story, Republicans are planning on repealing the ACA without a budget score, and without showing it to anyone until it is on the floor.

STRATEGY FOR AREAS with a R SENATOR or CONGRESSPERSON

Get on the phone and leave a message with their local office today and EVERDAY until we win this thing.

Tell them – NO SECRET BILL, let us publicly debate what it will cost in $$ and in human suffering.

Show up at their local offices, be brave and be strong.

Then call 10 people you know and ask them to do the same thing

STRATEGY FOR BLUE DISTRICTS

Join a Virtual bank from home (where you use a tablet or computer to access names, phone # and a script) and call into TN, AZ, Maine, NV or AK.

Send me a note if you need links to make these calls. Everyone needs to do this

Here is our latest update on the Republican plan

REPUBLICAN PLAN TO RUSH THRU ACA REPEAL

There will be a bill released on Monday that will then go to markup in both Ways and Means and E&C on Wednesday/Thursday. It will more or less be what we saw in the earlier draft, with a few modifications for the worse. It will not be scored and there will probably not be amendments.

Presuming passage, it will go to the Budget Committee the following week and then to Rules on 3/20 or earlier–with the goal to have it to the Floor of the House on 3/23, which is the 7th anniversary of the passage of the ACA.

McConnell has committed to put the bill on the floor immediately, with no changes, following a Bryd bath, meaning it will be voted on before the Easter recess (4/7).

This is far more accelerated timeline than any of us were thinking, and we were assuming we would have process in the Senate (meaning it would go through Senate Committees however that is not the plan). We need to get as much done in the next 2 1/2 weeks as possible.

Thank you in advance for your help with this issue

136 Responses to “Saving ACA”

1. 1 GGail
    March 4, 2017 at 5:09 pm

Thank you NW and WiW.
    We all have to do our part!

2. March 4, 2017 at 5:09 pm

Happy Saturday everyone!

3. March 4, 2017 at 5:44 pm

Those dudes are going to jail ….

And, I think it is reasonable to assume that President Obama not publicly chastising, or worse, Comey about the “email letter” is because he was aware that Comey had a major investigation of Trump underway and that a key element of the ‘sting’ is having Trump think Comey was his buddy.

I could be wrong, but I’m beginning to think not.

We should know soon.

A FISA warrant, if one were issued (and it appears very likely that one was) given the nature of the situation had to have been exceedingly well justified – i.e., massive evidence of probable cause.

Hope all of you are doing well!

#RUSSIA

• 7 Betsy
      March 4, 2017 at 6:24 pm

Didn’t Louise Mensch talk about that in that first huge article she posted about a month ago?

• 8 CEB
      March 4, 2017 at 6:27 pm

Sometimes people just are not who we want them to be. Be prepared for Comey not being anyone’s hero and savior.

• 9 whenpamelawandered
      March 4, 2017 at 7:12 pm

Bobfr, and Tally, I am in a bit of turmoil with Louise Mensch, her courage is resolute and she is full of determination and so smart, but she seems to be in VP Pence camp where he is innocent and has been lied to all along, she seems visualize a wonderful Pence presidency, and I sure don’t see that as an improvement.

• 10 arapaho415
        March 4, 2017 at 9:34 pm

GE MP.

I was reading her tweets for awhile (just after the inauguration IIRC), but to be honest, had a hard time figuring out what she was saying in her blog posts (that she linked to via tweets).

She’s one of those I’ve-got-mine-jack libertarians, and to be honest, smug white libertarians bother me more than RWNJs (whom I ignore as much as possible, knowing they’ve got the undying support of the 24% of Americans who truly believe the world is flat).

She is a Pence and Comey cheerleader, so am wary of her claims (when I can make heads or tails out of her ramblings).

I concede that it’s probably just me who has a hard time following what she has to say — she’s done some good investigative work, then embellishes it with her libertarian spin (IMHO).

Know nothing about @emptywheel (is she a Berniebro?), but here’s her take on Louise, FWIW.

• March 5, 2017 at 12:45 am

FYI everyone – as I’ve posted before John Schindler & Louise Mensch are hard core conservatives. As I think most if not all of you know, John’s severely inflicted with ODS.

That makes their being at the forefront of the effort to take Trump and all his scum to jail all the more effective.

I have ZERO regard for either of them beyond what they are doing to protect our democracy.

Hope you all have a restful night.

• 12 MaewholoveourCIC
      March 6, 2017 at 12:28 am

I agree with you Bob about Comey. This is one fact that I am sure about. He is doing his job and is taking a beating of mistrust in the process. His past actions is a good indicator that he is doing his job for the good of the people.

4. March 4, 2017 at 5:45 pm

This says it all.

5. 16 CEB
    March 4, 2017 at 6:25 pm

Hard to believe that we are only 4 weeks into the biggest political, democracy threatening mess that we have ever seen. On the other hand, privileged people are learning what the rest of us have always known: laws are not worth the paper that they are written on if they are not defended and carried out. So many people talk about their rights and privileges as citizens of the US, forgetting that there are millions among them, fellow citizens, who cannot make this claim. They are shocked, shocked I tell you, that their civil and constitutional rights can be trodden upon.

6. 17 Nena20409
    March 4, 2017 at 6:57 pm

7. March 4, 2017 at 7:00 pm

March 4, 2017 at 7:07 pm

Karma

• 21 whenpamelawandered
      March 4, 2017 at 7:21 pm

Hmmmm, my confusion continues

March 4, 2017 at 7:29 pm

Others.

• 23 pkayden
        March 4, 2017 at 8:55 pm

I still wonder how so many on the Left got caught up with praising Wikileaks. Assange is why we have Trump.

• 24 arapaho415
          March 4, 2017 at 10:55 pm

GE pkayden.

IMHO, blame Glenn Greenwald.

For reasons I cannot comprehend, the younger generation of journalists seem to have unquestioned admiration for this scum bucket — the only journalists/pundits who seem skeptical of Greenwald now seem to be self-described conservatives.

Couldn’t understand it in 2013 when the Snowden story broke.

MSM and pundits still considerate Greenwald a “liberal,” which is laughable — he spews nothing but venom when it comes to America — he’s got the same dystopian view of this country as does Steve Bannon.

And Greenwald’s cohort, Barton Gellman (who used to be at the WSJ, but his Twitter profile doesn’t mention them, so he must have moved on) can’t be trusted either, IMHO.

9. 25 Nena20409
    March 4, 2017 at 7:09 pm

• March 4, 2017 at 7:19 pm

I’ve seen a number of tweets stating that 45 has access to the FISA order and has the power to declassify information.

While listening to AMJoy this morning, one of her guests indicated that 45 may not have access if *he* is the target of the investigation.

If the WH is scrambling trying to gain access and 45 seems to be having a melt-down, perhaps we can assume that 45 was one of those targeted in the Russian investigation.

March 4, 2017 at 7:10 pm

Sums things up

11. 32 Nena20409
    March 4, 2017 at 7:41 pm

Brother to #Liar45*’s Lawyer, Michael Cohen.
    Hmm?

March 4, 2017 at 7:49 pm

Wonder how many people surrounding the Trump “unknowns” will have to die before the truth comes out.

• 34 whenpamelawandered
      March 4, 2017 at 8:28 pm

Exactly, how many will start heading to their offshore hideaways, running fast. It won’t save them, this is the 21st century and Americans aren’t going to go backwards without serious #resistance.

• 35 sherijr
      March 4, 2017 at 9:00 pm

holy crap another one?? holy crap.

• 36 arapaho415
      March 4, 2017 at 10:44 pm

GE Nena.

Add one more to this informative list:

12. 38 Nena20409
    March 4, 2017 at 7:45 pm

13. 43 whenpamelawandered
    March 4, 2017 at 8:31 pm

I’m overwhelmed- taking the night off – bless you each and everyone. {{{ TOD }}} ❤🙏🏻🌹🙏🏻❤

14. 45 sherijr
    March 4, 2017 at 8:51 pm

Hey folks I wanted to pass this on to you all- this Democrat is running for Gov of Florida- I like the sound of him.. here’s his letter from today- he’s emailed every other day or so- yes asking for contributions, but also sharing who he is and his plans for Florida… so if any are inclined to support him, heres his current email:

Friends –
    I wasn’t one to get in trouble much growing up. But one day, when I was in elementary school, I got into a fight with another little boy, who had teased me about my mother.
    The punishment back then was eating lunch at the table with the principal, and I’ll never forget the disappointment in our principal’s face when he said “I never knew you were like that.”
    I knew then and there that I didn’t ever want to be “like that” again.
    So earlier this week, when Republican leaders began attacking our campaign, we decided not to attack them back, because we still don’t want to be “like that.”
    Chip in $3 now to help us build a campaign we can be proud of and a movement to transform Florida >>
    Instead, we are focused on building the people-powered movement that so many of you have joined. We are focused on finding solutions to folks who are struggling to get by in the state of Florida, and planned out policies that will hopefully make those solutions a reality. In short, we focused on what really matters — and this is what we’ve managed to accomplish together:
    Earlier today, hundreds of you came out to our campaign launch rally in Tallahassee, and we had a wonderful time discussing the most pertinent issues facing Floridians today, like creating jobs at every rung of the income ladder, investing in our public education, and protecting our environment.

Since we announced the campaign on Wednesday, we’ve received an outpouring of support from over one thousand donors who believe in our movement.
    Together, we are showing every pundit and politico in the state that it is absolutely possible to run a campaign powered by the people here in Florida.
    And together, we’re going to keep showing them that we aren’t running this campaign “like that.” We’re going to keep focusing on the issues and the people, not petty, partisan politics.
    Please join our people-powered campaign by making a contribution of $3 or more, and help us keep up this historic momentum >>
    Michelle Obama said it best: when they go low, we go high. Together, we’re going to rebuild Florida into a state that works for all of us, and we’re going to do it without resorting to going low.
    Bring it home,
    Andrew

CONTRIBUTE

15. March 4, 2017 at 8:55 pm

March 4, 2017 at 9:24 pm

Just saw this, from Andy Borowitz:

“I just reread the 25th Amendment. It calls for the removal of the President if he is found to be, and I quote, “fucking batshit crazy.”

Ha.

March 4, 2017 at 9:27 pm

This ought to send President Loco on a Twitter rampage Sunday morning….

March 4, 2017 at 9:31 pm

Now yer talkin’. Fundraiser on local PBS lineup, starting now: “70s Soul Superstars” !!! Not sure what year it was recorded, but same music, nevertheless!

March 4, 2017 at 9:36 pm

20. March 4, 2017 at 9:39 pm

We live in a time where we quickly put people in boxes. Maybe we have more in common than what we think? Introducing All That We Share. The English version

March 4, 2017 at 9:56 pm

Donald Trump has put the Environmental Protection Agency in the crosshairs. He and his new EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt have launched a multi-front assault on the agency responsible for protecting human health and the natural environment.

EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt
    In just his first 10 days heading the agency, Pruitt and Trump have:

Stalled proposed standards for safe beaches that could protect swimmers from toxic algae blooms that can cause liver damage and kidney failure.
    Put off renewing regulations about what records sewage sludge treatment plants are required to keep, records that help the EPA target offenders.
    Delayed long-planned regulations that would limit releases of toxic gasses by some especially troublesome sewage treatment plants, including those affecting three of the nation’s biggest cities.
    Trump’s proposed budget is expected to decimate the EPA. Myron Ebell, who led the transition team at the EPA, has said the agency could be trimmed by two-thirds of its workforce.

22. 72 cd4biden
    March 4, 2017 at 10:12 pm

Evening everyone. Been lurking a lot lately, but had to drop in with some good news that is sure making my day.. And Lord knows we can all use some good news these days.

Every other year an organization in my community puts on a literary conference with a theme relating in some way to the land. Each time I offer my guest cottage to one of the presenters to cut the cost to the organization of housing these wonderful people. Just found out I will be hosting poet Nikky Finney for this year’s conference. Now I have to admit I did not know about her, so I googled her and Wow! Not only is she a fabulous poet, but also an amazing writer. Her website has several articles on it that have had me in tears this afternoon, as well as learning a heck of a lot about parts of Black history I knew nothing about. (I have got so much still to learn about so much)

And then to increase my joy she mentions amazing blues artist Ruthie Foster in one of her articles. Now I don’t know about Ruthie, so of course I had to go check her out as well. So glad I did as I have been listening to her music now for the past few hours. Been doing a lot of dancing around while cooking and cleaning. :-).

And then to top off my joy, which I did not think was possible, I found out Ruthie will be performing at a local establishment about 15 minutes from my house in 6 weeks. So something to look forward to with joy rather than the dread that I brace myself for each day from D.C.

May each of you also find something to bring you joy for the coming week. Blessings on all of you.

March 4, 2017 at 10:17 pm

Mr. Pierce:) The President* had another episode…

“Unthinkable” is one of those Washington CYA words that does a lot of work until a lot of people start thinking about something seriously. (The president ordered a cover-up of a burglary? The president signed off on sending missiles to Iran? The president was doing the help? Unthinkable!) Let us assume for the moment that, if there’s a shred of truth to what the president* is saying, then the previous occupant of the White House didn’t do it without availing himself of the legal requirements.

If he requested a FISA warrant and got it, then there’s something out there that troubled not only the previous administration, but also some federal judges on a secret court. If that happened, then what President Obama did was not in any way “illegal.” You can argue that it might be improperly political during an presidential election season, but then you get hung up on why Lyndon Johnson didn’t blow the whistle on how Richard Nixon jacked around with the Paris Peace Talks. It’s impossible to conclude in retrospect that the country was well-served by LBJ’s uncharacteristic delicacy in that matter. If this keeps up, the demand for complete transparency is going to become overwhelming.

March 4, 2017 at 10:37 pm

Keep speaking up and speaking out!

25. 81 arapaho415
    March 4, 2017 at 10:39 pm

GE TODville.

Was this posted here today?

I’ve seen pushback against Jake Tapper and others at CNN, but really, at this point they’re a godsend.

IMHO people who always have a television on are likely to have it tuned to either Fox News or CNN for at least part of the day.

Since DJT views CNN as public enemy number 1 (especially Jim Acosta), expect more of this.

March 4, 2017 at 11:00 pm

27. March 4, 2017 at 11:15 pm

28. March 4, 2017 at 11:16 pm

29. 92 FoxfireTX
    March 4, 2017 at 11:20 pm

DT is garbage, and anyone associating with him ends up with the stench. That he is trying to drag President Obama into his mess is beyond outrageous. I can’t say I’m surprised given his jealousy of PBO, but this is beyond even what I could imagine. I sincerely hope that PBO is done giving this asshole the benefit of the doubt, and refuses to take his phone calls in the future. PBO bent over backwards during the campaign to NOT surface the Russian allegations, to the dismay of many of us. That dt would repay that graciousness with his allegation shows that no deed goes unpunished when it comes to the swamp crew. I keep thinking he can’t go any lower, and then of course he does. God help the country.

30. March 4, 2017 at 11:26 pm

Trump is garage, he’s a lying racists, thin skin narcissistic crazy ass idiot.

31. 94 magapie
    March 4, 2017 at 11:41 pm

What do you call him in your household? In mine it’s “clownstick” or “fuckface”.

And OF COURSE PBO comports himself AS ALWAYS with utter professionalism and class, having a response statement released though a credible spokesperson: “A cardinal rule of the Obama administration was that no White House official ever interfered with any independent investigation led by the Department of Justice,”

• 95 FoxfireTX
      March 4, 2017 at 11:46 pm

So what does dt do? Immediately tells his WH counsel to interfere in the investigation and try to get his hands on any warrant. Would we expect anything less? Eventually, like Nixon, if nothing else he will go down for that interference.

• 96 magapie
        March 4, 2017 at 11:52 pm

AND? THE TAX RETURNS. Americans have a right to see a president’s tax returns, especially this pr*sident. He said he would release them many times, with PATHETIC excuses why it would be later. Suddenly? Never. NEVER. Why? WHY? The piece of sh*t needs to be pummeled with that question constantly: Why won’t you release your tax returns? No, millions of Americans want to know what’s in them. WHAT IS IN YOUR TRs that you are SO AFRAID to reveal?

• 97 Bill R.
        March 5, 2017 at 12:51 am

Yep, they call it Obstruction of Justice. They nailed Nixon and his cronies on that charge.

32. 99 Nena20409
    March 5, 2017 at 8:08 am

March 5, 2017 at 8:17 am

I love my Forever President. Morning everyone

34. March 5, 2017 at 8:29 am

March 5, 2017 at 8:32 am

Little joys….there is a songbird outside my office window this morning…singing at the top of his voice! Beautiful.

March 5, 2017 at 8:36 am

I’m sorry…BUT WHAT THE FUCK!!!???

March 5, 2017 at 8:37 am

Read:

March 5, 2017 at 8:52 am

I can’t grab this SNL cold open off the site….but it’s worth a watch:)

39. 116 Nena20409
    March 5, 2017 at 9:09 am

March 5, 2017 at 9:17 am

March 5, 2017 at 9:19 am

hummmm

42. March 5, 2017 at 9:49 am

I was trying to find a direct video link but can be accessed via the link in the tweet/article. A powerful message to GOP in the midst of the humor.

43. 121 Nena20409
    March 5, 2017 at 9:50 am

44. March 5, 2017 at 9:59 am

45. 123 globalcitizenlinda
    March 5, 2017 at 9:59 am

good morning everyone.

have a fantastic day!

March 5, 2017 at 10:46 am

CNN Headline…DT asks congress to investigate Obama

Let hell reign down on him for this deflection.

March 5, 2017 at 10:47 am

March 5, 2017 at 10:49 am

March 5, 2017 at 10:51 am

I’m going to a lovely brunch today…I will enjoy myself and not think of this ish

March 5, 2017 at 10:53 am

50. March 5, 2017 at 10:55 am

Can’t make this stuff up. What a shameful chapter in America’s history.

March 5, 2017 at 11:05 am

It is, meta. Joy and Malcolm are some of our go-to people, in getting the truth out.

• 133 sherijr
      March 5, 2017 at 11:06 am

gawd they are so effing dirty and corrupt. If it benefits their pocketbook and a Russian’s pocketbook then Trump is gonna do it. I swear he was bought and paid for at birth by Russia.

March 5, 2017 at 11:03 am