Mar

The Boss In Chief

Alyssa Mastromonaco: What I Learned From 10 Years Working With Barack Obama

After I became then-Illinois Senator Barack Obama’s adviser/ director of scheduling in late 2004, [chief of staff ] Pete Rouse became my spiritual guide and mentor. Pete had worked on Capitol Hill for about 40 years, many of those as chief of staff to Senate majority leader Tom Daschle, and was known as the “101st senator” and “mayor of Capitol Hill.” There is no one more thoughtful in the way he gives advice. He returns every e-mail, makes every connection, and does it all while being a wheeler and dealer. When we got to the Senate, Possum drafted one of his famous “strategic plans”—lengthy, painfully thorough memos about how to get something done.

In this case, it was the strategic plan for Senator Obama’s first year, and it could be summed up as “workhorse, not show horse.” It included lots of time with constituents and in Illinois, and less time with D.C. insiders and celebrities. Obama was quite fine with that. Every decision we made had to stand up to the workhorse vs. show horse test. Obama had a political action committee called the Hope Fund that was right down the street from the Hart Senate Office Building. The Hope Fund ran initiatives for getting young adults from diverse backgrounds into community organizing and politics; it also managed Obama’s political engagements

More here

176 Responses to “The Boss In Chief”

March 20, 2017 at 8:57 am

Good morning everyone!

March 20, 2017 at 9:02 am

There are a couple of important posts on the last thread that I’d like to bring over….I don’t know how important this one is, but it’s my idea that came to me after listening to Rev. Barber speak last night on a conference call re: Resisting this administration and our work ahead. I hope that whoever reads this, shares this and uses this idea with their members of Congress that are on the fence or always in lock step with the administration. Here is my idea..posted late last night for you east coasters:)….

I know it’s late for some of you, but I thought that I would share my inspiration that came to me after I listened to Rev. Barber speak on the conference call tonight. I think that everyone reading this idea I had ,should share it, do it, pass it on to others if you think it would be impactful. I think it will.
    Rev. Barber said a lot this evening…I took notes and would be happy to share what he said…but the one thing that stuck with me is that we have to put a face on our protests and we have to make them morally right and strong. This can not be about Republicans and Democrats…left/right issue. This healthcare issue, and every other issue that we face with this corrupt and morally bankrupt administration, has to be framed from a morality standpoint. I agree with that argument. That said, the idea that I came up with is to go to the Dollar Store(s) and buy up baby dolls…all kinds of baby dolls…and swaddle them…and then safety pin how a child in your state will be impacted by the Repeal of Obamacare or the Installation of the deathcare that they have come up with….make it specific to your state and if you can find families that will be directly impacted by this…say a family from “X” will …

I would go to place these dolls after the offices have closed for the night….no destruction of property ..just quite an impactful, moving scene when the office staff workers arrive in the morning….swaddled babies with stories to share…The more we do, the more effect it will have. This is why we’re here now….this is the reason we Resist. We are fighting for our families, our friends and our neighbors…some we know, some we will never know. We need to come together and take this stand and so many others…Well, who’s with me? Share this idea.

March 20, 2017 at 9:05 am

The other one I wanted to bring over was this one. Call/write your senators and say NO!!! to Gorsuch. He is too extreme for the SC….and this Indivisible Guide has the perfect reasons why that you can refer to. Thanks for this important post, meta!

4. 8 JER
    March 20, 2017 at 9:10 am

“I don’t like people wandering around the White House who have no specific responsibilities,” Panetta said. “So they wind up going to meetings and they talk, but they really don’t have any responsibility. …”

March 20, 2017 at 9:15 am

OH REALLY!???

A former law student of Judge Neil Gorsuch, President Trump’s nominee for the Supreme Court, alleges that in a course she took from Gorsuch at the University of Colorado Law School last year, the judge told his class that employers, specifically law firms, should ask women seeking jobs about their plans for having children and implied that women manipulate companies starting in the interview stage to extract maternity benefits.

snip/

On April 19, 2016, Sisk wrote, Judge Gorsuch used a hypothetical from the prepared material for the class, in which a female law student applies for jobs at law firms because the student has a large debt to pay off. The student also intends to have a family with her husband.

“He interrupted our class discussion to ask students how many of us knew women who used their companies for maternity benefits, who used their companies to — in order to have a baby and then leave right away,” Sisk said.

She recalled that few students raised their hands and Gorsuch became animated. “He said, ‘Come on, guys. All of your hands should be up. Many women do this,'” Sisk said.

Ron Bonjean, a spokesman for the Trump administration working on the Gorsuch nomination, noted that the judge had consistently gotten among the highest student ratings at the law school.

No wonder DT likes him.

March 20, 2017 at 9:18 am

KANSAS!! You’re up next!

7. 14 JER
    March 20, 2017 at 9:19 am

SCOTUS NOMINEE NEIL GORSUCH SAID WOMEN “MANIPULATE” MATERNITY LEAVE

Supreme Court nominee Judge Neil Gorsuch told law students that “many” female job seekers abuse maternity leave and must disclose plans to become pregnant… The federal judge told a University of Colorado Law School class last year that companies should “ask females about their family and pregnancy plans to protect the company” … Gorsuch’s remarks tread the line on what the Civil Rights Act prohibits. … He told our class that female lawyers get divorced at twice the rate of male lawyers … He also said that many female lawyers become pregnant, and questioned whether they should do so on their law firms’ dime. [Has 45 taken America back to 1960 in 2 months?] http://nydn.us/2mkxOvR

March 20, 2017 at 9:19 am

9. 17 JER
    March 20, 2017 at 9:22 am

March 20, 2017 at 9:27 am

11. 22 JER
    March 20, 2017 at 9:36 am

12. 23 jewelz
    March 20, 2017 at 9:38 am

I really like Alyssa Mastromonaco. This is a video of an interview she did on CBS news this morning with Charlie Rose and Gayle King.

She talked about President Obama, and mentioned how pissed she was by Trump allegations against PBO regarding wiretap.

13. March 20, 2017 at 10:01 am

14. 26 Don
    March 20, 2017 at 10:05 am

Can’t wait to buy her book!

• 27 0388jojothecat
      March 20, 2017 at 12:09 pm

Me too Don. I thought it should be given to every young women in high school and college. I would love my niece to read it but my brother is a religious right conservative and anything PBO would be considered indoctrination. I’ll give it to her when she’s 18yrs old. My niece is very shy and does not like doing things outside her comfort zone which is fine for now but one day she will have to. I was like her too. Was too afraid to do “new” things and travel outside California.

15. March 20, 2017 at 10:08 am

16. 29 arapaho415
    March 20, 2017 at 10:14 am

GM TODville, for all those in the northern hemisphere, welcome to the Spring season this morning.

Hard to believe there’s so much going on (on a Monday!) on Capitol Hill — don’t think Congress worked a single Monday when PBO was President, unless a looming deadline was approaching.

So this is sure to be lost in today’s news cycle, but encouraging what Norway has done, treating #DAPL like the apartheid it is.

March 20, 2017 at 10:18 am

Good morning. Believe I just heard Adam Schiff accidentally – twice – refer to the “Tramp” administration, at the start of the hearing.

Although he corrected himself, I’m cool with that.

18. March 20, 2017 at 10:22 am

Gpod Morning, Everyone 🙂

19. 35 Linda
    March 20, 2017 at 10:30 am

Oh boy…. There is Mike Rogers using the ” It’s classified ” meme.

Ugh !

20. 36 57andfemale
    March 20, 2017 at 10:35 am

Effing despicable:

21. 37 Linda
    March 20, 2017 at 10:37 am

Nunes is a Trump puppet

22. March 20, 2017 at 10:38 am

THE RACHEL MADDOW SHOW 3/17/17
    Trump scandals overshadow Navy’s biggest corruption case
    Rachel Maddow details an epic Navy scandal involving prostitutes, $2,000 bottles of wine, fancy cigars, and lavish meals, which, were it not for the steady drip of Trump scandals, would be front page news.

23. March 20, 2017 at 10:40 am

THE RACHEL MADDOW SHOW 3/17/17
    The danger in letting Russia’s hacking slide
    Robby Mook, Hillary Clinton campaign manager, talks with Rachel Maddow about the unprecedented nature of the Russian hacking during the 2016 campaign and what it portends for the legislative process if not addressed.

March 20, 2017 at 10:40 am

25. March 20, 2017 at 10:40 am

Good morning Ms. Chips, Danny and TOD family, I hope all is well with everyone this lovely Monday morning. Congrats df, on being first this morning.

Nerdy, thanks so much for helping Ms. Chips and for the sacrifices you’re making for us TOD’ers. 💫🙏👌👊❤

To all, know that your good is better, your better is best, and your best is a blessing today. ❤ ❤ ❤

I am thankful to God that I lived to witness one of the greatest President of The United States of America in President Barack Hussein Obama ⭐🏆 ⭐🏆 ⭐🏆

26. 43 Linda
    March 20, 2017 at 10:41 am

Comey just confirmed there IS an investigation about the 2016 election, including potential people on the Trump campaign

Investigating Russia influence on outcome of election and collusion of Trump campaign with Russia

March 20, 2017 at 10:41 am

28. March 20, 2017 at 10:41 am

Good morning TOD folks! Lovely stories about PBO this morning. Still can’t get used to someone else as President. I am watching the hearing. Adam Schiff is awesome. He is organized, thoughtfIul and thorough.

29. March 20, 2017 at 10:48 am

BOOM: Comey confirms the FBI is investigating Trump campaign’s involvement with Russia’s interference in 2016 election.

30. 49 whenpamelawandered
    March 20, 2017 at 11:14 am

“March 20: Astrological Commentaries from Bali. Dear Friends, I return now to the topic at hand (well I actually never left it!): “How to remain conscious–or even develop higher consciousness–in an unconscious world.” I began this discussion in my March 17th post, gave out an exercise in this respect on the 18th and now if you stick with me for a few more posts, I will outline the process. As ever, you are welcome to share these writings with others. In fact, I hope you do.

As spiritual seekers we ask for Light, we strive for greater awareness, we aspire to selfless service and we strive ever to walk in Love.. But there is a price to pay for all of this—consciousness costs! And that price in terms of our personal evolution is loss: loss of desire, loss of attachment, loss of emotional illusions, even loss of the forms of our aspirations (as they emerge into the reality of Spiritual Presence). We created all of these desires, attachments, illusions, and aspirations and gave them form in terms of the nature of our personality. This is done through Scorpio and its celestial companion, the earthiest of the earth signs—Taurus. This interchange of signs may be stated as: “The desire for form and the forms that result from these desires!” What comes along in this celestial package is the energy of the Fourth Ray, aka “Harmony thru Conflict.”

Why conflict? Because through decades of life on earth, we consolidate, anchor, and struggle to achieve what will eventually have to be released! This is done through the ministrations of Scorpio so that our Greater Life may manifest. What remains of all of this “death of form” is a refined core, a stable essence of truth, a synthesized nucleus known as Consciousness (also called Love, also called “the quality of the Soul”). The third of these Fourth Ray signs (each of the Seven Rays influences three of the astrological signs) is Sagittarius—higher knowledge. Indeed, in esoteric astrology Sagittarius is said to be the sign of the Path itself. The jewel of Wisdom that is the gift to us from walking the Path is in great measure the distillations–those pearls of awareness–that are born from the struggles between Taurus and the urge to amass form, and Scorpio, the urge for death and release of that which has been accumulated. This process is very tiring my Friends unless you KNOW that what you are doing has Purpose (and even then, you occasionally need a good rest and a piece of cake and a cup of coffee!).

More to follow, with love and blessings to one and all, AO”

From my friend Alan Oken
    Blessings on this Equinox from W/MPW

31. 51 Linda
    March 20, 2017 at 11:14 am

By saying I cannot comment, Comey is actually commenting.

32. 53 Linda
    March 20, 2017 at 11:19 am

Vicente Fox Quesada‏Verified account @VicenteFoxQue

.@realDonaldTrump, if this were TV, you’d be fired. America, tell it like it is: Donald, you’re fired!

33. 54 donna dem 4 obama
    March 20, 2017 at 11:20 am

34. 55 Don
    March 20, 2017 at 11:21 am

Yep, this NSA guy looks like the real deal. If there is anything there he will find it.

35. 56 Linda
    March 20, 2017 at 11:25 am

lol…

Gowdy is trying to tell Comey how to do his job.

Now he is suggesting Clapper was leaking

36. 59 donna dem 4 obama
    March 20, 2017 at 11:26 am

37. March 20, 2017 at 11:29 am

Comey just admit that Trump is a pathological liar.

38. 63 donna dem 4 obama
    March 20, 2017 at 11:31 am

I concur it will never happen….

• March 20, 2017 at 11:33 am

Did the pathological liar apologize for the birther lie?

• 65 CEB
      March 20, 2017 at 12:16 pm

He will never do so and PBO is not looking for it. He does not need this fool to affirm anything about him, the facts speak for themselves and the liar is looking more and more like a fool and so are the people who supported him in his lies. PBO is somewhere on a Polynesian Island living his best life. He moved on long ago.

39. 67 donna dem 4 obama
    March 20, 2017 at 11:33 am

• 68 0388jojothecat
      March 20, 2017 at 12:15 pm

Why don’t they say WHO really ordered the ex-British spy to get info on orange satan? It was one of his GOP rivals that’s who!

40. 69 Linda
    March 20, 2017 at 11:36 am

Comey just confirmed he is investigating Roger Stone by saying he cannot answer Schiff’s questions

41. 71 Linda
    March 20, 2017 at 11:44 am

Sounds like Manafort is also under investigation. Maybe he was being wiretapped. He lives in Trump Tower doesn’t he ?

• March 20, 2017 at 12:01 pm

There was a FISA warrant issued last year- they’re ALL under investigation.

“Two separate sources with links to the counter-intelligence community have confirmed to Heat Street that the FBI sought, and was granted, a FISA court warrant in October, giving counter-intelligence permission to examine the activities of ‘U.S. persons’ in Donald Trump’s campaign with ties to Russia.”

Two great pieces by this generation’s Deep Throat, but SHE is so badass, she doesn’t need to stay in the shadows….
      On the original warrant – NO MENTION OF WIRE TAPS –

And her latest from Friday –

42. March 20, 2017 at 11:53 am

43. 75 donna dem 4 obama
    March 20, 2017 at 11:59 am

44. 76 donna dem 4 obama
    March 20, 2017 at 12:04 pm

Yah!!!!!

45. 77 donna dem 4 obama
    March 20, 2017 at 12:07 pm

46. March 20, 2017 at 12:13 pm

my daughter just called me…and told me that all hell breaking on the Hse floor….that the Russian did interfere inour elections ,,,,that there is an active investigation going on…as she would say..OMG!!!!!

47. 85 Bill R.
    March 20, 2017 at 12:22 pm

Trump is freaking out. He knows the FBI is coming for him and he’s doing down.

48. 86 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    March 20, 2017 at 12:29 pm

ON MY FB..I HOPE THE REAL PRESIDENT IS WELL AND HAPPY!

49. 88 CEB
    March 20, 2017 at 12:30 pm

Thanks to everyone who is watching and posting. I read to keep up on what is going on because I cannot stand to see or hear such disgusting people live; it truly makes me ill.

• 89 CEB
      March 20, 2017 at 12:44 pm

But I am glad that the hearing is being televised and taped for any and all to see for days and weeks to come. It will be really interesting to see how historians record and reflect on this time 15-20 years from now. I wonder what name they will give this time period? The New Dark Ages? The Time the USA almost destroyed the Free World? The Great Upheaval and the Rebirth of Democracy that followed?

50. 92 Linda
    March 20, 2017 at 12:35 pm

But….but…but…. WHAT ABOUT THE LEAKS !!!!!!

51. 93 JER
    March 20, 2017 at 12:35 pm

52. 100 sjterrid
    March 20, 2017 at 12:46 pm

Thank you, Nerdy. I will have to read the whole article in the magazine later.

53. 101 Jey
    March 20, 2017 at 12:53 pm

How soon before Nov 8th election is nullified?

I wonder if Comey is in cahoots with McTurtle and Ryan? Bring Trumpy down paving the way for GOP establishment to take over.
    Why else would Comey sabotage Clinton’s campaign? And not mention this investigation?

• 102 Nena20409
      March 20, 2017 at 1:35 pm

Unfortunately, since #GOP maintained its Gains in the Congress, Gained in State & Local Elections in 50 States, Right Wingers have 40% of New/Media today, there will NEVER be a nullification of Nov 8th, 2016 elections. A revote will require an unprecedented Event in US History. It will be a bloodbath for #GOP Today. It will force Many to re-examine their Bigotry, Racist & Prejudicial subconscious…….a Man in The Mirror Moment, most Humans, especially folks in USA refuse to confront.
      Last, GOP will be OK if Trump is Gone & Pence at the Helm. I say: No Trump, no Pence for they got in as a result of Unfairness, Cheating & 12 Govs using Cross Checks to suppress many Voters from voting.

• 103 Nena20409
        March 20, 2017 at 3:32 pm

• March 20, 2017 at 2:02 pm

54. 105 donna dem 4 obama
    March 20, 2017 at 12:54 pm

55. March 20, 2017 at 12:54 pm

• March 20, 2017 at 12:55 pm

• 108 sherijr
        March 20, 2017 at 1:41 pm

I’d say they’ve accomplished this task- undermined our democracy.. but I don’t believe they could have done it without the collusion of not only Trump & his people but Ryan/McConnell and other GOP Congress creeps. Ryan is getting way too much out of this.

56. 109 Linda
    March 20, 2017 at 12:55 pm

Ooooh. Schiff just requested Flynn’s SF86 — form for classified clearance for gov’t employment he’d have to had filled out to work for DT.

Comey confirmed that on it Flynn would have to disclose payments from foreign governments and foreign travel.

• 110 Don
      March 20, 2017 at 2:28 pm

Yep, SF86 is a standard clearance form. Its probably the easiest form to fill out, well if you aren’t being paid by a foreign government it should be easy to fill out. A simple five year background check should have produced all of this information, if the person filling out the form was truthful.

57. March 20, 2017 at 12:56 pm

58. 112 donna dem 4 obama
    March 20, 2017 at 1:00 pm

59. March 20, 2017 at 1:01 pm

i hope that this puts fear in them

60. 114 COS
    March 20, 2017 at 1:09 pm

Wow, Democrats are airing a lot of dirty linen. 🙂

61. 115 CEB
    March 20, 2017 at 1:19 pm

Silver lining for the year from Hell: the secrets and lies, perpetrated upon the US by the republicans and their wealthy and influential paymasters, are being revealed. More and more people, of every background and race/ethnicity are realizing that they are less free than they thought and that they have been conned and used by these people all of their lives. I hope that when this is over, we will make law the things that have been custom, require more of a president than simply being native born and over 35, and put in stringent checks and balances. Transparency, for all on everything that affects their ability to fulfill their responsibilities as elected and appointed public officials, must be clearly spelled out and be enforceable and punishable. As heart-rending as this year of hell is, we needed to know the truth to make things better. The media also needs to be revamped so that they are truly the 4th estate and not gossipy, ratings whores. “Weeping may endure for a night, but come comes in the morning.”

62. March 20, 2017 at 1:27 pm

63. March 20, 2017 at 1:34 pm

PBO’s former WH personal assistant. Beautiful!!

64. 119 Linda
    March 20, 2017 at 1:39 pm

Pee Break

65. 122 CEB
    March 20, 2017 at 1:40 pm

I have been checking Instagram for some Pete shade related to the hearings. What was PBO doing on this day in 2009?

We will need an independent commission to get down to the bottom of all of the ways that 45 and his collaborators are involved with Russia and the financial wrongdoings. How is such a commission created?

66. 123 Nena20409
    March 20, 2017 at 1:42 pm

Hello TOD.
    It’s indeed a Manic Monday.
    It’s finally confirmed that the #GOP=1PartyRule. UnAmerican & UnPatriotic.
    Congrats, DF on your Au ⭐
    As in That Movie, The GOP under Trump are a bunch of Chronic & Habitual Liars!

67. 124 Linda
    March 20, 2017 at 1:47 pm

Congressman Wenstrup of Ohio, is a former Podiatrist. Another clown providing cover for the Trump administration. He actually graduated from Dr. Scholl’s College of Podiatric Medicine. With his skills he should have no problem getting his foot out of his mouth.

h/t Raw Story comment

68. March 20, 2017 at 2:02 pm

69. 127 Nena20409
    March 20, 2017 at 2:08 pm

70. 128 Nena20409
    March 20, 2017 at 2:09 pm

71. March 20, 2017 at 2:10 pm

72. 130 Nena20409
    March 20, 2017 at 2:19 pm

73. 131 CEB
    March 20, 2017 at 2:21 pm

60 days in: approvals at 37% and still tanking, under investigation by the FBI, hearings, lawsuits, a disgraceful budget that may be dead on arrival, a health plan that has nothing to do with providing healthcare, no effective initiatives or executive actions/orders (thank God), alienating our closest allies and emboldening our enemies, multiple lawsuits and protesters in street and a well-organized and smart opposition. The one thing that he has managed to do, which is why he ran in the first place, is to enrich himself. To his voters: the bible warns about digging a ditch for another to fall in because you will fall into it yourself. Many voted to hurt those that they hate, while others voted to enrich themselves and to solidify their power. Neither group will wound up getting what they sold their souls to get.

74. 132 Nena20409
    March 20, 2017 at 2:25 pm

75. 133 Linda
    March 20, 2017 at 2:26 pm

Whoa…. Rep Himes just read Trump’s tweet in real time.

76. 134 Nena20409
    March 20, 2017 at 2:31 pm

• 135 sherijr
      March 20, 2017 at 2:41 pm

It’s what he’s doing when he travels- nothing for us… he’s playing on our dime – he’s wasting our money. All of them think they are entitled to whatever they want. This is why they’re so determined to screw American citizens out of every penny- they’re taking away OUR benefits, our healthcare- the stuff we pay for in order to have a decent life and then they act like they’re doing it “for us”. It’s crazy upside down world and what’s crazier is the knuckleheads who support this crazy.

77. 136 Linda
    March 20, 2017 at 2:41 pm

Spicer :

Manafort played a very limited role / time.
    ( sorry, he was the chairman of the campaign )

78. 137 donna dem 4 obama
    March 20, 2017 at 2:44 pm

As it should be

79. March 20, 2017 at 2:49 pm

That’s become their pivot of late…”What about Hillary???”

80. 140 Nena20409
    March 20, 2017 at 2:54 pm

81. March 20, 2017 at 2:54 pm

I am shocked!!!!!

Every Cabinet agency has an embedded appointee, with the job title of senior White House adviser, who is situated near the secretary’s office, the newspaper reported. These appointees report to the Office of Cabinet Affairs instead of the Cabinet secretary.

The appointees serve as observers and White House enforcers, the Post reports, ensuring that the agency’s leadership implements the president’s agenda.

82. 142 donna dem 4 obama
    March 20, 2017 at 2:55 pm

Whoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

83. 144 Nena20409
    March 20, 2017 at 2:56 pm

84. 146 JER
    March 20, 2017 at 2:56 pm

@MarketWatch 8m
    Sean Spicer says Trump golfing is different from Obama golfing because of “how you use the game of golf” — http://on.mktw.net/2nDPp1X

85. 147 Nena20409

96. March 20, 2017 at 4:00 pm

97. March 20, 2017 at 4:02 pm

98. March 20, 2017 at 4:02 pm

99. March 20, 2017 at 4:11 pm

back to work …..

March 20, 2017 at 4:13 pm

I almost came here to post that the Democratic committee members were surely the voices to be remembered from today’s FBI-CIA hearing …

… and then I remembered that I had fast-forwarded my recording through all the Republican jerks who asked questions.

[Sometimes I truly amuse myself!] 🙂 Go, Democrats!

101. March 20, 2017 at 4:13 pm

INDEED

March 20, 2017 at 4:18 pm

March 20, 2017 at 4:20 pm

He has not idea what SOFA is. Among other things.

104. March 20, 2017 at 4:26 pm

This will freak you out. Investigative reporter Vicky Ward on her latest piece on Rebekah Mercer.

• 175 0388jojothecat
      March 20, 2017 at 5:09 pm

No. 16-907

Title:
      In Re Diane Blumstein, et al., Petitioners
      v.

Docketed:
      January 19, 2017

~~~Date~~~
      ~~~~~~~Proceedings  and  Orders~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Jan 18 2017
      Petition for a writ of mandamus filed. (Response due February 21, 2017)
      Feb 17 2017
      Waiver of right of respondents Federal Respondents, et al. to respond filed.
      Feb 22 2017
      DISTRIBUTED for Conference of March 17, 2017.
      Mar 20 2017
      Petition DENIED.

This was the Petition to Nullify the Elections.

@POTUS