Mar

Paid Leave: A Necessity; Not A Luxury

Noam Scheiber: U.S. Will Require Its Contractors To Provide Paid Sick Leave

The Obama administration, in its latest effort to update workplace policies it says have lagged far behind the realities of Americans’ lives, will require federal government contractors to provide paid sick leave to their workers. The rule, which was issued on Thursday and which the Labor Department estimates will directly affect more than 1.1 million people once fully in effect, enables workers to accrue up to seven days of paid sick leave a year. The move serves as a coda to the administration’s ongoing efforts to enhance rights and protections for workers, including making millions more eligible for overtime pay and expanding workers’ rights to sue over pay discrimination.  In recent years, more than 20 cities and states around the country have passed laws mandating paid sick leave,

which voters generally support, polls show. New York City passed its own such law in 2013 and expanded it the next year. Republican-leaning Arizona appears on the verge of enacting such a measure by a ballot initiative this fall. But legislation that would mandate paid sick leave nationwide, notably the so-called Healthy Families Act, has stalled in Congress for years, prompting the administration to seek alternative ways of achieving the policy’s goals. The rule, which does not need additional approval, requires that workers in assignments related to many federal contracts receive one hour of paid sick leave for every 30 hours they work, for up to 56 hours of leave a year. Workers will be able to use the days to receive medical attention, care for a relative or deal with complications arising from domestic violence or sexual assault. The rule affects only contracts solicited by the government beginning on Jan. 1, 2017.

More here

145 Responses to “Paid Leave: A Necessity; Not A Luxury”

1. 1 Judith Fardig
    March 29, 2017 at 12:23 pm

Hi all. Resist!

2. 2 Judith Fardig
    March 29, 2017 at 12:25 pm

3. March 29, 2017 at 12:33 pm

Good morning Ms. Chips, Danny and TOD family, I hope all is well with everyone this lovely Wednesday morning. Congrats Judith, on being first this morning.

Nerdy, thanks so much for helping Ms. Chips and for the sacrifices you’re making for us TOD’ers. 💫🙏👌👊❤

To all, I hope you have a phenomenal, super-sensational, and stupendous day today. ❤ ❤ ❤

I am thankful to God that I lived to witness one of the greatest President of The United States of America in President Barack Hussein Obama ⭐🏆 ⭐🏆 ⭐🏆

4. March 29, 2017 at 12:43 pm

5. March 29, 2017 at 12:43 pm

6. March 29, 2017 at 12:45 pm

7. March 29, 2017 at 12:58 pm

8. March 29, 2017 at 12:59 pm

9. 10 Allison
    March 29, 2017 at 1:00 pm

10. March 29, 2017 at 1:04 pm

Wonder if we’ll find out that this was plagiarized as well…

11. March 29, 2017 at 1:04 pm

March 29, 2017 at 1:47 pm

#GloryDays

19. 31 JER
    March 29, 2017 at 1:52 pm

• 32 Linda
      March 29, 2017 at 1:58 pm

Oh goody…. Does he know that housing sales are at a 17 year low since they started their rate hikes ? No one is buying.

20. March 29, 2017 at 2:25 pm

Sticking to it:

21. March 29, 2017 at 2:38 pm

Amazing…….

22. 37 Nena20409
    March 29, 2017 at 2:49 pm

Hello TODable TODbots 😉
    Congrats to Judith on your Au ⭐
    {{{ ❤ Chips ❤ Dudette -I 🍸 🍸 Thank You all.

23. March 29, 2017 at 2:54 pm

back to work ….

24. March 29, 2017 at 2:54 pm

Just can’t help being cynical, but listening to the Senate’s press conference I get the feeling that nothing will come
    of this investigation to get rid of or hurt the #LIAR45. He will just get away with all the crimes. Sen.Burr does not give
    me a comfortable feeling but then again NO Republican does. All B#ll Sh#t. Just like how Christie got away. UGH!

March 29, 2017 at 3:19 pm

I just finished listening to it … but I felt more confidence in the responses I heard from Burr and Warner. Let’s hope the final outcome is somewhere in the middle, between your take and mine!

• March 29, 2017 at 4:46 pm

Bur doesn’t Impeachment start on the House

March 29, 2017 at 8:26 pm

I’m pretty sure the House holds the impeachment proceedings … but not sure of all the particulars.

• 43 Betsy
            March 29, 2017 at 9:32 pm

A simple majority in the House of Representatives is all that is required to start impeachment proceedings. If the House votes to impeach (again simple majority vote), then the trial of the President et.al., is held in the Senate. If 2/3rds of the Senate vote to remove him/them from office, he/they are GONE. (Impeachment has to meet the standards of “High crimes and Misdemeanors).

March 29, 2017 at 9:41 pm

Oh, thanks so much. I am definitely going to be keeping that info handy, and I hope we need to bring it back up SOON!! Very soon.

• 45 Betsy
                March 29, 2017 at 9:54 pm

I teach the Constitution every fall to 8th graders so I’m glad I can help beyond the classroom, lol.

March 29, 2017 at 11:54 pm

Please do refresh my memory, any old time! (I make “deals” with my two youngest grandkids – since I have all my elementary/high school report cards from the Stone Age – that if they can top my final yearly grades, they’ll get a large cash reward at the beginning of each summer. I was like a nerdy A/A+ student in 8th grade, as I like to remind my granddaughter, now in the same grade. However, I believe after being corrected by the 8th grade teacher tonight, I’ll quit all my Stone Age bragging!!!!)

• 47 Betsy
                    March 30, 2017 at 1:23 am

LOL. You would best me over and over in math, science and english I’m sure; the Constitution, I do know fairly well, but still learn more every year. That’s why I love it so much; it is an amazing document/gov’t structure for its time and the fact that it has endured is incredible. I hope we are able to preserve it and our democracy. I tell you, I am very worried right now.

• March 29, 2017 at 4:47 pm

IMO, it’s not wise to trust any Republican Senators, including Richard Burr. Remember, he takes his orders from that disgusting, Benedict-Mitch McConnell-Arnold. Just saying.

25. 52 Nena20409
    March 29, 2017 at 2:55 pm

KO’s #52 Resistance

26. 53 Nena20409
    March 29, 2017 at 3:00 pm

• 54 arapaho415
      March 29, 2017 at 4:23 pm

GA Nena. Thanks for the info.

The culprit in CA is old paint, back when lead was an ingredient in paint 😦 , just as it is in many parts of the country.

But the good news is that CA is actively pursuing correction to the problem.

In Los Angeles…
      “Since August, a sampling of children tested from the Los Angeles neighborhoods of Westlake, Koreatown and Pico Union revealed about 5 percent with high lead results, said Jeff Sanchez, a public health specialist at Impact Assessment, which helps Los Angeles run its lead poisoning prevention program.”

In the East (San Francisco) Bay area:
      “Lead exposure is common in other East Bay areas, including large parts of Oakland, and nearby Emeryville and Fremont, the new data shows.

In January, Oakland city council members introduced a resolution that would require property owners to obtain lead inspections and safety certifications before renting or selling houses and apartments built before 1978, when lead paint was banned.”

27. 55 Nena20409
    March 29, 2017 at 3:01 pm

28. 56 Nena20409
    March 29, 2017 at 3:11 pm

Jovie:
    here’s a part of an answer to your questions.

29. 58 Nena20409
    March 29, 2017 at 3:12 pm

March 29, 2017 at 3:14 pm

These guys, working in a bipartisan fashion, should give us all hope. Sad that it’s “unusual,” given the losers throughout the GOP – not to mention in the WH. But the whole world is watching, so I’m giving them every opportunity to do good for America.

31. 60 Nena20409
    March 29, 2017 at 3:21 pm

• March 29, 2017 at 3:53 pm

Wait, so they’re now engaged in combat on the ground in Iraq? Did I blink or something?

• 62 Nena20409
        March 29, 2017 at 3:59 pm

The question was asked of Spicer today & he really didn’t give a satisfactory answer. His lie was that “advisory” role was in place. The question was directed at comments made by #Liar45* last Evening at the WH. Note: there was a report that more troops were being sent to Iraq & Syria. Then a directive came out last week or so saying; No more Notifications/Reports on Number of US Troops sent out for War(my word).

• March 29, 2017 at 4:10 pm

GEEZE, this is crazy. They need to tell the truth about all this otherwise we’re right back at Nixon.

• 64 sherijr
            March 29, 2017 at 6:42 pm

If they tell the truth, then they don’t get to do everything they want to do in secret. It’s really an “evil empire” (words I’ve never written or said before) in the making.

• 65 Obama Grandmama
          March 29, 2017 at 7:52 pm

Last week I posted a comment of why is no one in the news talking about the change from the Pentagon of not giving out numbers of troops being deployed to Iraq now? That seemed like a biggie to me.

32. 66 CEB
    March 29, 2017 at 3:27 pm

So I’m watching Mankind: the History of All of Us on the History channel and it is a total disgrace. The only mankind that it talks about are Anglo-Americans (a brief mention of the Brits, captain Cook and Banks the naturalist). This is the old, inflated story of white imperialism and colonialism. No mention of genocide, the economics of slavery, and the contributions of anyone who is not white and male. According to this series, the Irish Immigrants were mostly responsible for building the railroads, not one mention of Chinese immigrants and others who built them. No mention of women at any time. Is this usual for the History Channel to have such a narrow and simplistic view of history? But then, the fact that they actually had Brian Williams speak to some events, in elementary school terms, told me all I needed to know about the so-called scholarship behind this series. It looks like the type of thing you would have seen in 50’s and 60’s, even though it is a fairly recent series.

March 29, 2017 at 4:12 pm

I believe the History Channel is Rubert Murdoch owned. Of course they have a certain “slant”…

• 68 Obama Grandmama
        March 29, 2017 at 8:06 pm

Didn’t Murdock buy National Geographic too? The reason I think that is so is I remember thinking about it when I heard it since my second son was an Alaska Geography Bee winner when he was in the eighth grade. He and his Dad’s trip to D.C. for the competition was quite a pleasant experience with many outstanding provided tours and activities hosted by National Geographic. So upon hearing Murdock buying them my immediate thoughts was with Fox’s climate change denial how can they own National Geographic? My thoughts were he’ll ruin the organization.

March 29, 2017 at 8:19 pm

I think that you are spot on, Obama Grandmama! I remember thinking that too…they will screw up the truth to suit their worped agenda.

33. 70 ydavis00
    March 29, 2017 at 3:34 pm

• March 29, 2017 at 6:38 pm

Is that to take the focus off of Nunes (and Ryan for that matter) as it relates to the mishandling the Trump-Russia investigation; especially the GOP attempt(s) to obstruct.

34. 72 Nena20409
    March 29, 2017 at 3:36 pm

35. 73 ydavis00
    March 29, 2017 at 3:37 pm

36. 74 Nena20409
    March 29, 2017 at 3:46 pm

37. 75 ydavis00
    March 29, 2017 at 3:46 pm

• 76 CEB
      March 29, 2017 at 3:54 pm

So he betrays another group that voted for him. This type of addiction is pervades rural areas and small towns mostly among whites and he promised them he would help. The ACA has a provision for the opioid crisis, what did they think he was going to do? You cannot be a one-issue voter or one who has tunnel vision.

38. 79 ydavis00
    March 29, 2017 at 3:51 pm

39. 80 Nena20409
    March 29, 2017 at 3:51 pm

40. 81 ydavis00
    March 29, 2017 at 3:53 pm

41. 82 Nena20409
    March 29, 2017 at 3:53 pm

I have not read from ❤ Yardarm ❤ in a while.
    I hope he's OK.
    Thinking of you, Sir.

42. 85 Nena20409
    March 29, 2017 at 4:02 pm

43. March 29, 2017 at 4:09 pm

Nunes, Paul Ryan is doing there best to save Trump. And I do NOT trust Sen. Burr either.

March 29, 2017 at 4:15 pm

Ummm…WTF is THIS?

• 90 arapaho415
      March 29, 2017 at 5:12 pm

GA DF.

Recall seeing tweets from @20committee a few months ago about moles in US intel (can’t recall if he mentioned the State Dept or not).

Guess Americans will be glued to “The Americans” — don’t have TV or Netflix (and also find it hard to carve out enough time to watch television shows), but the premise of this program sounds interesting, especially now.

• 91 Obama Grandmama
      March 29, 2017 at 8:11 pm

PRC?

March 29, 2017 at 4:21 pm

March 29, 2017 at 4:24 pm

Another:

47. March 29, 2017 at 4:24 pm

March 29, 2017 at 4:25 pm

This is the FIRST thing I thought of this morning as I read that Republicans thought it was a great idea to invade and sell your internet privacy….

49. 98 JER
    March 29, 2017 at 4:39 pm

50. 99 Allison
    March 29, 2017 at 4:48 pm

• March 29, 2017 at 6:47 pm

Allison……she is just like that Disgusting father of hers.

• 102 sherijr
      March 29, 2017 at 7:52 pm

How is this even being allowed? She is literally being given near ultimate power based solely on her birth. Not to mention, don’t federal employees usually have to be qualified to get a job? I’m not getting how this admin can skirt every rule/ law they choose without repercussions of any sort. Every single day there is one more affront to laws, to morality. Also, how many EOs has he signed at this point. I’m so beyond fed up.

• 103 Obama Grandmama
        March 29, 2017 at 8:17 pm

Does the fact that one party is in charge of everything have anything to do with all the Constitutional, moral, illegal, procedural breeches that are being allowed?

51. 106 JER
    March 29, 2017 at 6:03 pm

Could Donald Trump Pass a Sanity Test? | The Resistance with Keith Olbermann | GQ

52. March 29, 2017 at 7:39 pm

TEST. No comment since 6:47???

53. March 29, 2017 at 7:58 pm

March 29, 2017 at 8:10 pm

55. March 29, 2017 at 8:13 pm

March 29, 2017 at 8:13 pm

Of course, the Reduction in Force I want to see is for everybody named Trump, related to Trump, knows Trump, or ever shook his hand thinking he was somebody’s crazy uncle to be fired immediately from service in our government!

Bye Ivanka – because nobody wants to Buy Ivanka!

57. March 29, 2017 at 8:19 pm

AMEN!

March 29, 2017 at 8:20 pm

Stay vigilant

59. March 29, 2017 at 8:21 pm

BIG DEAL …..

60. March 29, 2017 at 8:23 pm

For months in the 2016 campaign, Hillary Clinton warned about Donald Trump’s allegiance to the Russian dictator Vladimir Putin, but our venerable media ignored her. Even when Clinton directly confronted Trump at a debate and called him a Russian puppet, our media treated it as little more than colorful campaign theater.

Partly as a result of that gross negligence, Donald Trump now occupies the Oval Office, and is in possession of the nation’s most sensitive intelligence.

61. March 29, 2017 at 8:24 pm

POPSUGAR: It’s pretty clear from your book that you have a deep admiration and respect for Obama. Is it fair to say working for him made you a better person? Better at your job?

Alyssa Mastromonaco: I would say that Barack Obama not only made me a better person but made me better at my job. He’s one of the most intellectually curious people you’ll ever meet and really brings that out in other people. When I first got to the White House, I was super anxious all the time about not knowing the answer to every question. And Obama was actually the person who let me be me. He was like, “Alyssa’s not the person who wears the Ann Taylor suit. She’s not the kind of person who always says the exact right thing.” And I’m a bit of a wild animal. I brought a different perspective and I was a little bit more irreverent and casual.

PS: I teared up when I got to the end of the book and read the passage about him calling you after your beloved cat died. It was well after you’d resigned from your White House post.

AM: Just so you know, I had to reread that portion of my audiobook three or four times, because I cried every time. I, more than anybody, saw all the things that were on his plate every day. I felt other people maybe didn’t realize how much a note meant that he wrote them or a phone call. But I saw his thought process behind the few moments of free time he had and how he used them. So, I knew that him taking the time to call me meant he really cared and really deeply understood how upset I was. That’s what made it so meaningful….continued in link along w/excerpt from book

• March 29, 2017 at 8:26 pm

Less than 20 pages into her memoir about her career in politics, Alyssa Mastromonaco — former White House Deputy Chief of Staff to President Barack Obama — describes one of her favorite achievements: Getting a tampon dispenser installed in the West Wing bathroom. “If we were truly serious about running a diverse operation and bringing more women into politics,” she writes, “we should give the office a basic level of comfort for them. Even if you had to pay a quarter, it would be better than menstruating all over the Oval.”

Mastromonaco’s new book, Who Thought This Was A Good Idea? And Other Questions You Should Have Answers to When You Work in the White House, is full of these types of anecdotes: Jokes on the surface, substance underneath. It is telling that the White House did not have such a basic accommodation for female staffers until Mastromonaco “made it [her] mission” to provide it; it is also hilarious to think of her standing in the Roosevelt Room, announcing to a meeting of mostly-male senior staff that the tampon dispenser would be installed that day. After almost ten years of working for Obama, Mastromonaco left the White House; she’s currently an executive at A+E Networks and a contributing editor at Marie Claire. She spoke with ThinkProgress about encouraging women to work in politics even if it means grinding your teeth so hard in your sleep that your wisdom tooth shatters and you wake up with a mouthful of blood (for instance), what Obama was like as a boss, and her take on the Trump administration’s, shall we say, lax attitude toward traditional White House protocol.”

• 122 arapaho415
      March 29, 2017 at 9:13 pm

GE LP!

Alyssa has something in common with TODville (and Josh Earnest’s son Walker):

“I will always call him POTUS…” 🙂

62. March 29, 2017 at 8:29 pm

March 29, 2017 at 8:35 pm

March 29, 2017 at 8:44 pm

65. March 29, 2017 at 8:51 pm

My President-44 did this 🙂

66. March 29, 2017 at 8:55 pm

67. March 29, 2017 at 9:07 pm

68. March 29, 2017 at 9:16 pm

69. March 29, 2017 at 9:25 pm

In case anyone wonders what Putin and Trump have in common ….

… it’s creating massive resistance to their hate & greed.

70. March 29, 2017 at 9:26 pm

Goodnight TOD ….

71. 134 Nena20409
    March 29, 2017 at 9:29 pm

Here they go again: Didn’t I read many days ago that The FBI did fully sign off with the other Intels on the Russian Election Meddling?
    President Obama warned the nation. He also tried his best to get McConnell, Ryan to form a United Voice so as to warn The Nation on the Russian Election meddling. McConnell said No.

• 135 arapaho415
      March 30, 2017 at 12:51 am

Such a misleading headline — drives me nuts that MSM continue with the bait and switch, when democracy is on the line.

Comey wanted to publish an Op-Ed in the NYT in June or July, but others in DOJ, State, Homeland Security and NSA didn’t think that was a good idea — who knows what the gist of that Op-Ed was? He refused to admit the FBI’s investigation of Trump associates before Congress in Sep, so IMHO this article is BS.

Reminder:

72. 136 Nena20409
    March 29, 2017 at 9:34 pm

73. 137 Nena20409
    March 29, 2017 at 9:40 pm

• 138 arapaho415
      March 30, 2017 at 12:42 am

Wonderful article, that says Grillot admired the culture of India when growing up — India has extended an invitation for him to visit, and now he feels like he needs to go.

Heartbreaking loss for the family which lost a husband and father, but it’s heartwarming to know Grillot will receive a warm welcome to India, and that he’ll soon fulfill a life-long dream.

74. 139 Nena20409
    March 29, 2017 at 9:52 pm

75. 141 Nena20409
    March 29, 2017 at 10:01 pm

76. 143 Nena20409
    March 29, 2017 at 10:04 pm

March 29, 2017 at 10:08 pm

Not sure if this has been shared here today …

@POTUS