Jun

Eating In Montreal

Wency Leung: Trudeau, Obama Visit A ‘Career Highlight’ For Montreal Restaurant Owner

Celebrated Montreal chef and restaurant owner David McMillan has fed many a high-profile celebrity. But a visit from Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and former U.S. president Barack Obama on Tuesday evening will stand out in his memory for years to come. The duo’s dinner at Liverpool House was well-documented on social media, attracting large crowds and calling for heavy security. As McMillan, co-owner of Montreal’s Joe Beef and Liverpool House restaurants and Le Vin Papillon wine bar, told The Globe and Mail, the night will go down in his books as a “career highlight.”

How would you describe the atmosphere when they were there? It was definitely charged. People love Justin already, and people love Barack Obama. So people were really happy to see him. The crowd amassed outside the restaurant. The word got out.  What did you and your team do after the service was finished? I think Obama is an old hat at this and he knows people want pictures and so he called pictures right away. He said, “Okay, picture time!” He wanted to take pictures with the guys in the kitchen. He wanted to take pictures with the wait staff. He wanted to take pictures with Justin’s crew. He got a picture with my daughter, which was really neat. He asked my daughter about school, and how she was doing, which was really, really great.

More here

134 Responses to “Eating In Montreal”

1. 1 cos
    June 10, 2017 at 2:33 pm

Hello and thanks NW.

2. 3 sjterrid
    June 10, 2017 at 2:38 pm

Congratulations, Cos

Hello, TOD, and thanks a million, Nerdy, for what you do.

3. June 10, 2017 at 3:01 pm

HAPPY SWEET 16 SASHA OBAMA

4. 8 whenpamelawandered
    June 10, 2017 at 3:04 pm

❤️ Nerdy ‘CheesyPuff’ Wonka ❤️ I lived north of Montreal in the mountains for several years, have many many fond and precious memories of the area, Montreal still ranks as one of my ‘homes’ on earth! And I’ve stayed in touch with a number of people I knew back then, very much a part of my life. ❤️

5. June 10, 2017 at 3:15 pm

June 10, 2017 at 3:28 pm

Thanks Nerdy for posting this heartwarming video – this is splendiferous! The excitement & pride of the restaurant owner and employees are contagious. No one is immune to Trubama fever!!! 🙂 🙂

7. 14 carolyn
    June 10, 2017 at 3:49 pm

Thanks Nerdy for the posts about President Obama in Montreal. My husband and I took our 35th anniversary trip to Montreal, and had an absolutely spectacular time. Montreal is one of the sentimental favorites in my heart for this reason. The city is beautiful, the people are friendly and helpful, the food is DELICIOUS!!! and the atmosphere is exciting. So, watching these pictures, I am reliving our trip, and just feel a warm glow. So glad to see him getting to travel to fun places, and have quiet dinners with friends….he and Trudeau seem to have adapted well to the security detail, and know how to have a good time in spite. Thank you Canada for your openhearted, enthusiastic reception of our beloved POTUS.

8. 15 sabreen60
    June 10, 2017 at 3:54 pm

Thank you so much, Nerdy. I love seeing President Obama.

9. June 10, 2017 at 4:09 pm

Seriously, how much more of this can we take?

10. 17 GGail
    June 10, 2017 at 4:55 pm

• 19 SUE DUVALL SMITH
      June 10, 2017 at 6:09 pm

HAPPY SWEET 16….SASHA….WOULD LOVE TO BE A MOUSE IN THE CORNER AND WATCH THIS CELEBRATION…SUCH BEAUTIFUL DAUGHTERS!..<3

June 10, 2017 at 6:29 pm

NO AHCA!!!

12. 21 Betsy
    June 10, 2017 at 7:09 pm

Hello. Haven’t been on much as I was finishing my school year, doing grades and making sure my room was cleared, ready for cleaning. In doing so, did far too much and have hurt my back, so now I’m on rest with a heating pad, hoping this will clear up soon. Sigh.

13. 25 GGail
    June 10, 2017 at 7:13 pm

Don’t let the GOP rewrite history without a fight from us. Post this everywhere

14. 30 JER
    June 10, 2017 at 7:42 pm

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill. lets a lizard crawl around on his shoulders while his daughters Maila, 10, left, and Sasha, 7, try to catch it during a beach walk down Kailua Beach, Tuesday, Aug. 12, 2008 in Kailua, Hi. (AP Photo/Marco Garcia)

June 10, 2017 at 7:49 pm

I just ❤ ❤ Sasha's face! I have always loved her expressions (because they generally say so much to me). Wherever you are today and whatever you're doing Sasha-girl, may your time be spent wonderfully, enhanced by the love of your family, friends, and your parents' supporters!

• 32 globalcitizenlinda
      June 10, 2017 at 8:09 pm

I have seen these photos many times. But I never knew the lengths to which the photographer went to get these shots of PBO. Life in the public eye can be challenging especially when everyone wants to get a piece of you.

• June 10, 2017 at 9:06 pm

I read that article and Sen.Barack Obama did not like that photographer taking those pictures, he thought he was having some precious quiet time with his daughters.

15. 34 JER
    June 10, 2017 at 7:52 pm

June 10, 2017 at 7:59 pm

Keep this hopeful thought in your heads for the coming days/weeks/months. They will get what is coming to them….one way or the other

• 36 whenpamelawandered
      June 10, 2017 at 8:30 pm

I know many us are deeply grateful for the task these dedicated people have taken on. May The Force Be With Them All.

17. 37 JER
    June 10, 2017 at 8:00 pm

18. June 10, 2017 at 9:45 pm

SASHA is a gorgeous young woman!!

19. 47 globalcitizenlinda
    June 10, 2017 at 11:38 pm

I have had this concern for a while: I hope that the key players & potential witnesses (including Director Comey) in the Russia scandal have reliable round-the-clock protection. Given all the disclosures & the shady characters in involved, I am not sure that Team Treason will not do desperate things to physically hurt people.

June 11, 2017 at 12:26 am

Had that same thought – especially about Comey – a while back. I’m sure it’s on his mind, including the safety of his family.

20. 50 GGail
    June 10, 2017 at 11:43 pm

May God continue to bless President Jimmy Carter & First Lady Roslyn

• 51 99ts
      June 11, 2017 at 12:36 am

It’s always the democratic Presidents that people want to meet – funny that

• 52 arapaho415
      June 11, 2017 at 1:01 am

Hi, GGail.

Didn’t see that you had already posted this, so it’s here twice. 😳

A good tribute to a kind and caring man (polar opposite of FUBAR).

21. 55 arapaho415
    June 10, 2017 at 11:54 pm

GE/GM TODville.

Sorry to hear about Adam West’s passing today — I saw few episodes when it originally aired on ABC (growing up I couldn’t watch ABC at home because it broadcast in Mexico, and we lived on the north side of a hill, which meant no reception [in the San Diego area].

From 1966-1968 the shows that had my fancy were The Monkees and Star Trek (all of which apparently concurrently aired with Batman).

I worked in Malibu for my first full-time job, and celebs (mostly minor) of the day (late 1970s, early 1980s) were pretty much a dime a dozen.

I thought Burt Ward (Robin) was cute, and saw him a few times where I worked — my coworker would buzz me and hum the Batman tune to let me know he was there — cracked me up.

Lead in to this tweet…

22. 56 arapaho415
    June 10, 2017 at 11:57 pm

More on topic…

Completely forgot about this tweet from almost exactly a year ago, but @SheriseStaples RT’d it today, so here it is:

23. 57 arapaho415
    June 11, 2017 at 12:21 am

Succinct description of DJT’s interaction with James Comey:

And now, more in the ongoing saga of FUBAR president’s goal of #jackbooted #thugocracy:

June 11, 2017 at 12:33 am

Thanks for all of your informative posts, Arapaho – I see I arrived at the right time!

• 59 pkayden
      June 11, 2017 at 7:20 am

The assault on our free press continues with this story of a reporter facing 75 years for covering protests. We are too relaxed about these issues. This is how we slip into a kleptocracy.

• 60 arapaho415
        June 11, 2017 at 9:27 am

GM pkayden.

It’s truly jawdropping how much this country has changed in less than half a year (since that tool for Russian kleptocracy stepped foot in the White House).

This is why, out of all the hundreds of pundits/talking head out there, Sarah Kendzior is the best (IMHO). She has a PhD in authoritarian governments, so she easily draws EXACT parallels between what has been happening here for a year (since FUBAR won GOP primary) and other autocracies through history.

Can’t wrap my head around why a grand jury would indict Aaron Cantú on 8 felony charges — and looks like our court system is being sucked into FUBAR’s vortex of criminality and jackbooted thugocracy.

24. June 11, 2017 at 12:54 am

These issues are tightly coupled ….

Goodnight TOD ….

25. 62 arapaho415
    June 11, 2017 at 12:59 am

And here’s how Jimmy Carter, 91 years old, spent (a portion of) #ComeyDay:

• 63 pkayden
      June 11, 2017 at 7:39 am

President Carter is such a lovely manner. So glad to see him hearty and in good spirits and cancer free.

26. 64 JER
    June 11, 2017 at 8:37 am

Good Morning Everybody.

• June 11, 2017 at 10:01 am

Drat. Made a response to this comment and it disappeared in the WP void. A little lengthy so don’t want to try to re-create it. Maybe it will appear later as has happened to some of my comments in the past. Oh well.

27. 66 Dudette
    June 11, 2017 at 9:37 am

Happy Sunday Everyone! ☀️☀️☀️

28. 67 Dudette
    June 11, 2017 at 9:40 am

I know you’ve seen it. Watch it again, cuz AWESOMENESS! 🔥💃🏾🔥🕺🏾🔥

• 68 Dudette
      June 11, 2017 at 9:46 am

Haha! From the comments:

“Wakanda person isn’t hyped for this movie?”

“While many of you are busy with remarks concerning race, I’m here chuckling about the dog barking at a cat in a tree bit.”

😆

• 69 mtmarilyn
        June 11, 2017 at 10:53 am

This is so beyond cool. Can’t wait to see it.

• 70 Dudette
          June 11, 2017 at 10:57 am

Me too!

I’m heading out to see Wonder Woman for the second time this afternoon. Expect I’ll see Black Panther at least 5 times! 😄

• 71 mtmarilyn
            June 11, 2017 at 1:47 pm

Haven’t seen Wonder Women yet. But hear how great it is. Know I’ll be buying it so I can watch it several times.

29. June 11, 2017 at 9:49 am

Qatar ready to heal Gulf rift: “Kuwait on Sunday said that Qatar is willing to hold a dialogue with Gulf Arab countries that
    cut ties with it and was ready to listen to their concerns. http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/06/kuwait-qatar-ready-heal-gulf-rift-170611104242520.html

30. 73 Dudette
    June 11, 2017 at 9:55 am

31. June 11, 2017 at 9:57 am

Good Sunday, TOD Family!!!

32. June 11, 2017 at 10:05 am

Emoluments Clause?!?!?!?

33. June 11, 2017 at 10:07 am

Awwwwww. You really think there would be protests?

34. 78 GGAIL
    June 11, 2017 at 10:09 am

Good West Coast morning NW & TOD family. We SoCal TODers are preparing to travel on AMTRAK to visit with Purpleshoes parents in Oceanside. We have June gloom (overcast skies) this morning, but, I’m certain we’ll have sunshine, warmth and love spending time with them today. 😎

35. 80 Dudette
    June 11, 2017 at 10:12 am

36. June 11, 2017 at 10:15 am

Doesn’t this seem consistent with the interactions Comey testified to?

37. June 11, 2017 at 10:24 am

38. June 11, 2017 at 10:29 am

Avoiding the Sunday shows and checking the tweets…are any of them talking about anything but Russia/Comey? AHCA??? Tax Reform??? EPA Regulations??? Dodd-Frank/Finance???

39. June 11, 2017 at 10:33 am

• June 11, 2017 at 10:36 am

Seriously required thread….. it will make you feel better, and make you feel less insane.

40. June 11, 2017 at 10:44 am

Good Sunday morning, NW and TODville.

• 93 arapaho415
      June 11, 2017 at 11:16 am

GM Meta.

As we saw in Canada, the world is DESPERATE to know that the US isn’t actually bonkers, a Russian satellite state:

• 94 pkayden
      June 11, 2017 at 11:47 am

Didn’t even know that any of the Royal Family drove themselves anywhere. Lovely photo.

• 95 CEB
        June 11, 2017 at 1:01 pm

Prince Phillip and the Queen met PBO and MO at the helicopter when it landed on palace grounds. She indicated that PBO sit with the prince who was the driver and she sat in the back with MO. The British press had fun with this commenting on how/why PBO who is surrounded with such formidable security was allowed in a car driven by a 92 year old. The Queen has accorded the Obamas affection and hospitality the like that has never been shown to U S Presidents before. Outside of the official dinners, Michelle and Girls were given a tour of the palace when they visited the UK without PBO in 2010 I think; He and Michelle had a sleep-over at Buckingham Palace, They lunched with the royal brothers at their home and was introduced to Prince George, personal informal escort that I mentioned above and the cut trash-talking videos that were exchanged re: the Invictus Games. You know that 45 and past presidents are jealous. The Queen need not have done anything beyond that first state visit, but it seems to me that the entire family has gone out of their way to show their love and support of the Obamas. Prince Harry, especially, adores Michelle and she adores him. They have met many times and participated in various activities related to our troops.

• 96 whenpamelawandered
          June 11, 2017 at 3:34 pm

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

• 97 pkayden
          June 11, 2017 at 8:03 pm

That is so nice to hear, CEB. Warms my heart. PBO and his family were special and it’s not surprising that the Royals noticed that and treated them accordingly.

June 11, 2017 at 11:50 am

That’s a riot. Yokel trump might cancel his UK trip because of “protests,” and President Obama is driven to lunch at the castle by Prince Phillip.

LOVE IT.

June 11, 2017 at 11:47 am

June 11, 2017 at 12:11 pm

Morning everyone:) We all have a special place in the world:)

June 11, 2017 at 12:13 pm

Ummmm

44. June 11, 2017 at 12:46 pm

45. June 11, 2017 at 12:47 pm

June 11, 2017 at 1:00 pm

I hope the net is wide and deep…to snag these SOB’s, too

47. June 11, 2017 at 1:05 pm

A smile for the afternoon…

• 112 arapaho415
      June 11, 2017 at 1:30 pm

GA SWBG.

I saw the first tweet yesterday, and had no idea who/what(?) The Freeze is… thanks for the info, and boy, is The Freeze fast (and jerky fan got his just desserts, LOL).

BTW, I couldn’t believe @Max_Fisher’s tweet that you posted here earlier in the week:

Some righteous responses to his tweet (didn’t realize Fisher had moved to @NYTimes — liked his posts better before he was swallowed up by that MSM goblin).

Fisher purposely IGNORED what happened in Montreal, the same day that he sent that irresponsible tweet…

June 11, 2017 at 1:20 pm

49. June 11, 2017 at 1:27 pm

In addition to TrumpRussia….

50. June 11, 2017 at 1:37 pm

For those who didn’t live through Watergate and those who might want a refresher, I highly recommend a PBO show called Watergate Plus 30. The direct parallels between the Nixon and Trump and their administrations are stunning and chilling. It really reminds you of what is relevant in our current situation and how things may be unfolding with the Special Prosecutor.

You can see it on YouTube. It’s broken into 12 parts (each about 10 minutes) but for some mysterious reason Part 4 is missing.
    But DO go ahead and watch. It’s instructive and stunning and a huge wake up call for the RWNJs in Congress. And some much needed history for the #Resistance.

Here is Part 1. It automatically rolls over to the next part all the way through to Part 12 (except for Part 4 as mentioned above).

51. June 11, 2017 at 1:44 pm

52. June 11, 2017 at 2:00 pm

53. June 11, 2017 at 2:00 pm

We know Farage lied about Brexit and got away with it. However on personal attacks In UK: “It is an illegal practice to make or publish a false statement of fact about the personal character or conduct of a candidate in order to affect the return of a candidate at an election.”
    Also illegal: “It is not legal to execute unfounded character assassinations, to spread lies or to incite racial hatred.”

54. June 11, 2017 at 2:02 pm

55. June 11, 2017 at 2:10 pm

No doubt KOCH and Big Cash are spending $millions on dirty lying ads about Ossoff right now.
    That is the ONLY WAY they won in MT. What is the answer?

56. 128 JER
    June 11, 2017 at 3:26 pm

London 2016.

A post shared by Pete Souza (@petesouza) on

57. 130 Nena20409
    June 11, 2017 at 3:43 pm

Happy Sunday……TODbots.
    It rained very heavily in MN, Thunderstorms. Large Hails…..more like large snowballs covering many areas. Heavy Wind Gusts too. Scary.
    96F Yesterday. Hence, this Rain was Indeed, welcomed by Me 😉

Great News…..#10 is a Record for this 31yos Rafael Nadal Parera who captured The French Open in 3 sets. What a Man! What an accomplishment. This naturally right handed man who at age 8yrs was encouraged by his Uncle, Toni Nadal to start playing Tennis with his left hand (ambidextrous)……Mind you, he started playing Tennis at the tender age of 3yo……playing with his right hand & playing backhand with both hands…….
    OK, OK, OK…..enough with my sole Obsession of ❤ Rafa ❤ , a Fan since 2004.
    ❤ ❤ ❤ TOD.