Jan

Q&A With The First Lady

The Guardian

How did your mother, Marian Robinson, help you to be effective as a first lady?
Carole King, singer-songwriter

My mother helped me in very practical ways, like riding with Malia and Sasha to and from school when they were little, and caring for them at home when Barack and I had to be away for an event or an international conference. It was such a relief to know that she was always there as our backstop. And the girls loved it, too. Grandma’s rules were a little more lax than they were when I was growing up. I would sometimes ask her, “Where was that attitude when I was growing up?” She’d just laugh the way she always does. She loves being a grandmother. Beyond the practical side, though, my mom was my support in even deeper ways. She was often home when I’d come back to the residence after a day of work, sitting in her chair, watching Judge Judy or something like that. We’d just chat about everything – what she’d heard from the girls, how my day was going, anything that was on my mind.

Were there any rooms in the White House that you weren’t allowed into? Why not?
Otis Barkey and Aston Barnes, both 10, Abel Smith primary school, Hertford

I love the way you think! The White House was our daughters’ home for most of their childhood. They lived there longer than any other house we’ve lived in. And I wanted to make sure that they felt like we lived in a home, not a museum. So it was important to me that we could go wherever we wanted in the White House – no restrictions!

What’s the one moment you wish you could freeze in time?
Katy Perry, singer

I’m not one for a lot of nostalgia, honestly. I don’t spend a lot of time looking back or pining for what used to be. But that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t mind revisiting that summer when I first met Barack. It was magic. My father was still with us. I was living back home in Chicago and was exploring the world as a young professional. And then, this brilliant summer associate shows up, slowly chipping away at my defenses and eventually winning me over with his perspective, his grounded nature, his sense of humor. And oh, that smile

More here

119 Responses to “Q&A With The First Lady”

January 5, 2019 at 3:26 pm

What a *FIRST* LADY we have! I am sooooo proud, and happy, to have been a part of her and Barack’s leadership.

2. 11 Dudette
    January 5, 2019 at 3:34 pm

😄

3. 14 Don
    January 5, 2019 at 3:35 pm

Judge Judy! I’m sold!

4. 15 Dudette
    January 5, 2019 at 4:10 pm

5. January 5, 2019 at 4:29 pm

6. January 5, 2019 at 4:33 pm

As best as I can remember, this is the longest trending hashtag on Twitter, ever ….

😀 😀

Let’s keep it rolling …

7. January 5, 2019 at 4:58 pm

8. January 5, 2019 at 4:59 pm

9. 24 pkayden
    January 5, 2019 at 5:28 pm

10. 26 pkayden
    January 5, 2019 at 5:36 pm

11. 27 pkayden
    January 5, 2019 at 5:54 pm

12. 28 globalcitizenlinda
    January 5, 2019 at 6:02 pm

okay, apart from the actions that PBO took before he left office, WHY is there no public discussions about how to punish that evil scumbag putin and his team?

Am I the only one who is waiting for this to be a dominant topic of national conversation?

Or we all assuming that the national security professionals are working behind the scenes on this …. this would be expected under a normal non-compromised administration … but with Team Treason in charge, who is giving the retaliation orders?

13. 29 Judith Andrade
    January 5, 2019 at 6:13 pm

Happy New Year to Nerdy and TOD family. Wishing you all the best for 2019. So happy to have the ongoing news and uplifting stories about the work of the Obamas.

14. January 5, 2019 at 6:18 pm

• January 5, 2019 at 6:21 pm

I believe that this is a smart strategy…to first pass the exact same bill that the Senate passed just days ago…and now to pass the bill bit by bit…putting pressure on McConnell

• 32 Don
        January 5, 2019 at 6:33 pm

Yep I love it, let McConnell not vote on it, let him say no to everything. Either trump or McConnell will cave and then blame the other.

• 33 0388jojothecat
      January 5, 2019 at 7:58 pm

I hope the youngins and the old-timers are learning from Nancy “Smash”. She is a smart strategist and speaker.

15. January 5, 2019 at 6:36 pm

Mueller or not…….

January 5, 2019 at 6:55 pm

January 5, 2019 at 7:09 pm

That cover photo of Michelle Obama is unbelievably gorgeous! OMG.

18. January 5, 2019 at 7:42 pm

19. January 5, 2019 at 7:44 pm

LOVE her dearly.

January 5, 2019 at 9:13 pm

Evening everyone.

21. January 5, 2019 at 9:30 pm

He knows the truth and some of his actions on the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence indicate that he might find deep within himself the courage to honor his oath of office. He must know by now that the GOP will not survive Trump if the current situation is allowed to continue.

January 5, 2019 at 9:36 pm

Thank you, Michelle Obama… for all you are and all you inspire others to be. You are amazing! So much love for you 💕

23. January 5, 2019 at 11:21 pm

That picture of Forever FLOTUS😍😍😍 is divine.
    Has someone put it in a tweet yet, so that we can share it?

24. January 5, 2019 at 11:21 pm

What a slacker!😂😂

Can you imagine the pride of his parents?

25. 52 Dudette
    January 5, 2019 at 11:39 pm

26. 53 globalcitizenlinda
    January 6, 2019 at 12:01 am

yes, it is emotional ….. but I learned somethings from this clip …. maybe someone else here can get something too or needs the content of this clip;

;

January 6, 2019 at 11:56 am

Thank you for posting this beautiful piece here. I have said that as well, and told others searching for what to say to loved ones…..No regrets. Say what you need to say, so that when they pass, you have no regrets. No woulda,shoulda,coulda. Nice piece.

January 6, 2019 at 1:48 am

Never seen anything like these scaredy-cats. On another note, goodnight TODville – and all the ships at sea!

• 56 pkayden
      January 6, 2019 at 8:04 am

Ocasio-Cortez never said that 70% of earnings should be taxed. She said that 70% of earnings over a certain dollar amount (in the millions) should be taxed which is something that used to happen in the near past. What she suggested isn’t unprecedented or outrageous. We’re talking about multimillionaires who need to pay their fair share of taxes.

• 57 0388jojothecat
        January 6, 2019 at 9:16 am

These assholes want “zero” taxation so they can control 100% of the world leaders. They want slavery for the 99%. They believe that their wealth will keep them “safe” from domination. The less money they have the less influence they have. Our votes makes us equal…one man/woman one vote, this is what they’ve ALWAYS feared. They NEED a boogyman (woman/minority) to move their agenda. They are not so much afraid of her but what she represents. The empowering of women, millennials, minorities and leadership.

• 58 pkayden
          January 6, 2019 at 3:25 pm

And she won’t shut up or back down. I love AOC and hope she keeps speaking out and pushing us in the right direction.

• 59 cd4biden
      January 6, 2019 at 10:45 am

I think they are just looking for another distraction to their own hot mess. Dems control the House and are passing good sensible legislation every day and sending it to the Senate. To distract all of us from the fact the Senate sits there with their thumbs up their asses while their leader destroys this country, they focus their followers on trivial “wrong-doings” of Democratic representatives.

Like NancySmash told us, ignore the idiots and just get on with your work. And we need to do the same. And to keep sending them a great note like jo’b did here. Thoughts and prayers. So, so sad. Our sympathies are with you. Etc. 😁

• 61 99ts
      January 6, 2019 at 7:09 pm

GOP thinks their voters are so dumb they don’t understand the concept of marginal tax rates – in many instances, they are that dumb

January 6, 2019 at 1:59 am

29. January 6, 2019 at 8:14 am

I love the Q & A …Michelle Obama is such a treasure…she gives me such JOY….smilin…

Both my daughter and I are reading her book…we are planning our discussion group…that will be great…i would like to include my granddaughter…….I am 65…my daughter is 45…my granddaughter is 16…should be interesting to see the different perspectives

30. January 6, 2019 at 8:51 am

For two years, numerous ethics scandals have passed by a Congress that barely exerted itself to shrug; now, Democrats chair the committees of jurisdiction and have the power to jail those who defy subpoenas. That power has not been exercised in almost a century, but every weapon in the congressional arsenal may be needed to stop a president who weaponises reality itself.

House Democrats’ oversight and investigatory powers are much broader than Mueller’s very specific investigation into the Trump campaign’s possible collusion with Russia. They have announced their intention to follow the money and can rigorously investigate not only Russian electoral interference, but also the Trump family’s financial ties with foreign governments, including Russia and Saudi Arabia, and the possibility that those financial interests are influencing the administration’s policy; money laundering; ethics violations; abuses of power, including profiting from the presidency; and obstruction of justice.

31. 69 0388jojothecat
    January 6, 2019 at 8:57 am

The last time there were many like Karl Rove who ignored a DEM subpoena and nothing happened to him. I hope they jail whoever does not show up.

January 6, 2019 at 9:35 am

Morning everyone. Another Must Read thread

33. January 6, 2019 at 10:02 am

ohhh myyyy…i just want to know what she will do with him after he is captured??

34. 77 Dudette
    January 6, 2019 at 10:30 am

Mystery solved! 😆

35. 80 Dudette
    January 6, 2019 at 10:37 am

• 81 0388jojothecat
      January 6, 2019 at 2:22 pm

I would love Dems have hearings to investigate this too! Wonder what Hannity, Rush, and Man-Coulter would say about this.

36. January 6, 2019 at 10:40 am

37. 84 Dudette
    January 6, 2019 at 10:47 am

Rep. Hakeem Jeffries of NY:
    In 2012, The Washington Post asked if you were Brooklyn’s Barack Obama. It’s a comparison you’ve heard a lot by now. How similar are you guys really? “My mother has done a tremendous job of circulating talking points throughout the country. There is and will only ever be one Barack Obama, who was a phenomenal president. The only thing that I can definitively say we have in common is that we were both born on Aug. 4.”

• 85 Hillary Darton
      January 6, 2019 at 12:38 pm

He is not the next Obama so why should he be call the next Obama.

• 86 0388jojothecat
      January 6, 2019 at 2:16 pm

Did Barack Obama fall from the sky or land on earth from some far-away planet? BEFORE there was a Barack Obama there were a host of other African American politicians, political activists, community organizers, and fighters for justice.

38. 87 Dudette
    January 6, 2019 at 11:00 am

39. 88 Dudette
    January 6, 2019 at 11:06 am

Bob, where you at? Check it out!

40. 99 Dudette
    January 6, 2019 at 11:07 am

41. 100 JER
    January 6, 2019 at 11:52 am

• 101 0388jojothecat
      January 6, 2019 at 2:09 pm

Don…calling my friend Don….print this and put it on your desk!

• 102 Don
        January 6, 2019 at 2:32 pm

LOL, I’ve said the exact same thing in the parking lot, in the cafeteria, at off-site functions and even at this year’s Christmas party.

January 6, 2019 at 12:02 pm

I agree with this. The public needs to see his corruptness come to light bit by bit, so they can fit all the pieces together, in order, in their minds. Rushing to impeachment, as much as I may like the idea, is the wrong way to do this

43. 105 Jey
    January 6, 2019 at 12:04 pm

I think Tom Steyer’s next tv ad especially in red states should be something like ‘I believe President Trump -Mexico is paying for the wall’.

Democrats should say, when Mexico hands the US a chq for 5 billion as Trump promised, then Congress will gladly give him the money.

After all, Donald Trump, who takes orders from President Putin and President Ann Coulter is an honourable man …. alright alright I was just messing with everyone.
    Sometimes I think one has to try the ‘Brutus is an honourable man’ line – especially with Deplorables. Remind them that if the wall is built then how will the honourable Trump hire undocumented workers for his businesses.

January 6, 2019 at 12:50 pm

Bingo! Deservedly so.

45. 110 Don
    January 6, 2019 at 3:12 pm

I keep going back to when President Obama has campaigning for Hillary and he said that everything was on the ballot.

46. January 6, 2019 at 3:17 pm

Wonder how much longer Chris will remain employed by Putin/Trump State TV …

• 112 pkayden
      January 6, 2019 at 3:26 pm

We all know that SHS is a liar so it’s good to see one of her rightwing cohorts calling her out on one of her boldfaced lies. She is a disgusting human being and I hope she has difficulty finding a job once her spokesliar position is over.

• 113 Don
      January 6, 2019 at 3:43 pm

Chris Wallace, the GOP and Fox only have one problem with trump, and that is he’s rude and obnoxious. They do not have one problem with trump’s policies, they have a problem with the way he carries out his policies. I’ll prove it to you, if trump’s policies were delivered by a Mitt Romney do you think Romney would get all this blowback, he wouldn’t. I’m not about to pin a rose on Chris Wallace all because he fact checked some dumb shit that came out of the White House. As far as Chris Wallace, the GOP and Fox are concerned, the polices aren’t upsetting, its the way that they are being delivered that’s upsetting. That’s why we love Hannibal Lecter, he’s polite, gentlemanly and sophisticated when he goes about doing what he does. And that’s all Chris and the gang wants, they want trump to be polite and gentlemanly and sophisticated, but he isn’t.

• 114 Hillary Darton
        January 6, 2019 at 4:43 pm

Don I agree with you totally, because if truth be know the right wing conservative Republican tea party is Donald Trump. Any time you can remain silent as kids are separated from their parents, as a 7 and 8 year old dies.

47. January 6, 2019 at 3:25 pm

48. 116 Dudette
    January 6, 2019 at 3:35 pm

49. 117 Nena20409
    January 6, 2019 at 3:40 pm

Hello, TODbots Community.
    Happy New Year, everyone.

50. January 6, 2019 at 5:13 pm

Racism and white supremacy is some strong stuff!!

@POTUS