Oct

koch industries, iran, bribes, corruption ….

Politicalgates: …. In a bold and spectacular move, Bloomberg Markets Magazine wrote a story titled “The secret sins of Koch Industries” which does not only focus on several new revelations, but also provides a comprehensive overview about scandals of Koch Industries which happened during the last decades. The story also explicitly puts the well known political activities of the Koch Brothers in context with their highly questionable behaviour in business.

…. No less than 15 Bloomberg-journalists in several countries have worked on it … This is Pulitzer-Prize territory….

…the article reveals, for example, that:

– Koch Industries used the European offices of their subsidiary Koch-Glitsch to sell millions of dollars of petrochemical equipment to Iran in an apparent violation of the US-Iran trade embargo, as recently as 2007

– Koch Industries paid bribes in six countries from 2002 to 2008 to win business in Africa, India and the Middle East, comparable to similar behaviour of German technology giant Siemens (Siemens subsequently had to pay a $ 1.6 billion fine!)

Read the full post here

Thanks desertflower

230 Responses to “koch industries, iran, bribes, corruption ….”

1. October 2, 2011 at 4:12 pm

I can’t seem to get a link to the actual article. Maybe I’m not looking hard enough. anyone got it?

2. 10 Sue in Minnesota
    October 2, 2011 at 4:15 pm

These jackals belong in prison. I hope this is impetus to start some serious investigations into “these enemies of the state.”

• October 2, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Hel-lo Sue in M! Did you see the Chips link to the bin Laden video?

• 12 Sue in Minnesota
        October 2, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Oh vcprezofan2….I did, I watched it….it was absolutely riveting. The courage required to make the decision and to implement the attack was off the charts. I was so glad I finally had an opportunity to see it for myself…and will probably watch it again.

Hope all is well with you Sister 😀

• 13 Doris
          October 2, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Hi Sue, glad you are back and feeling better. Much prayer and love coming your way girlfriend. You were truly missed!!!!!!

October 2, 2011 at 5:25 pm

how are you feeling today, Sue? so glad that you’re feeling spunky enough to join us here:)

• 15 HZ
            October 2, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Hi Sue, hope you are feeling fine also. I wrote a note to you today on the Get Well Sue that Chips put up. Love you.HZ

• 16 Sue in Minnesota
              October 2, 2011 at 9:27 pm

HZ…so GOOD to hear from you! Today has been a bit difficult, but I expect to have good days and bad days…..and no matter what, I will get better. I have so very much to be grateful for. I am distressed to hear you are under the weather…please know you are ALWAYS in my thoughts and my prayers….let’s hope tomorrow brings us both a brighter day, cause we’ve got work to do! 😀

Love you back HZ

• 17 HZ
                October 3, 2011 at 12:37 am

Sue, oh it is so good to hear from you. Oh my, I am so sorry to hear about your difficult day today. However. I know that you will have better and better days ahead. You are such an inspiration to me, Sue.
                I know that you are also a fighter. You will get this behind you as well.

Yes, I am rolling up like a ball in much pain, but I cry so hard, and ask for mercy. I know that there are so many people who have even much difficulties in so many ways., so this too shall pass. It is something , for now, that I have to finds ways to live with when the attacks come. But it is so painful.

The doctors have no easy answers for it, so I move on when I can. However, this last one was very scary. But grateful for great doctors and a great hospital. Wish I was closer to my little family, but I have my family here. And oh, am I happy for each one of you. I am so grateful that we all have been given the wonderful opportunity to rally around a great gift in POB on this wonderful site. Much love goes to our beloved Chips.

Please take care Sur, and know that I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I love you back also,HZ

• 18 GGail
              October 2, 2011 at 10:52 pm

HZ, it IS good to hear from you. I asked about you a couple of threads ago. I’m sorry that you haven’t been feeling so sporty. Please take care. You are much needed here. Sending prayers up for you. Love you!

• 19 HZ
                October 3, 2011 at 12:49 am

GGail, thank you so much. I do appreciate you asking about me. I have been very ill. Had a very scary attack and now back home trying to take care. GGail, it is so painful, but I am a fighter also.

We have so much to get done, so please pray for me and keep me in your thoughts. I love you back also,HZ

• October 2, 2011 at 6:17 pm

😆 I saved it to my computer for that very reason! Even though I knew the outcome I have to admit I was tense/anxious in the last half. It was like the high drama movies that I never watch because I find them too stressful. Nevertheless, I had to watch this one with my POTUS! Glad you are back so we could compare notes, (and so that you can share MY opinion on issues here so I don’t have to say much)! 😉

• 21 GGail
            October 2, 2011 at 6:30 pm

VC, I know what you mean! Even though I knew the outcome, it was still riveting to watch the drama unfold. The History Channel did a fantastic job of telling the story. I save it too. 🙂

3. 24 Bobfr
    October 2, 2011 at 4:18 pm

In summary:

Our4thEstate Bobfr
    #KOCHMAFIA + FOXNEWSTAINERS +TEABAGGOP = Destruction of America https://theobamadiary.com/2011/10/02/koch-industries-iran-bribes-corruption-…/ Time for a #99PercentSolution #PRESSON #OBAMA2012

#YesWECanDOMoreTogether

October 2, 2011 at 4:28 pm

• 26 dotster3
      October 2, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Speaking of FOX—–I was just innocently watching the conclusion of the Bears game—–and all of a sudden there is this little promotion that flashed on the screen, supposed interviews on the streets of Chgo with an interviewer saying, ‘Do you plan to vote for President Obama?” (paraphrasing cause I was caught off guard, not expecting some political thing at the end of a Bears game) And every person said, “No”. It was “No”, “No”, “No” down Michigan Ave. And then the voiceover said, ‘President Obama in his home state—-trouble?’ It was the most despicable thing—-it couldn’t have been more manipulative and geared to the Chgo audience. This wasn’t FOXNews, this was just plain ol’ FOX. I can’t believe all the sick tricks of the corporate media. I am incensed.

• 30 MTmarilyn
      October 2, 2011 at 4:52 pm

I am learning I can just copy you to my twitter. Thanks Bobfr!

4. October 2, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Oh my goodness! There isn’t anything that is a shock in the report. We know what these guys are capable of doing. I’m going to call my senator’s office Mon. and make sure she is aware of this information. God, I hope those two “swing high” for this. Enemy of the country–there they are—

5. 33 globalcitizenlinda
    October 2, 2011 at 4:31 pm

thanks for this information and i hope people can share it with others especially those who are less involved involved in politics.

I am very glad that people are investigating to learn who these rich gop funders really are. of course the koch industries is a bunch of crooks and one would suspect this without knowing all the details that are included here.

for some reason, throughout the history of this nation, people who want to control the political agenda never learn a simple truth which is : try to grow to big for your extreme political britches and someone somewhere will want to take you down. try political domination and people will cut you down to size.

I hope that this is another bunch of information which will be used against the koch brothers and their role in rightwing extremism.

although I must say that Bloomberg is the last place I expected such an exposee

• October 2, 2011 at 5:13 pm

I’ve always thought, Linda, that their dirty behind the scenes behavior is a reason they seem to hate PBO so much. They know he’s no fool, and that with AG Eric Holder, if they find some type of wrongdoing, they’re going after them. I also suspect that they don’t like PBO because he cannot be bought. Many on the right, and some dems, fall and worship at the Koch Brothers’ feet, but not PBO. This has got to hurt the Kochs, because I suspect they’ve spent their entire lives being able to buy favor from others, but because PBO won’t take the bait, he’s to be defeated by any means necessary.

• 35 globalcitizenlinda
        October 2, 2011 at 5:28 pm

you are right and that is why we must fight with all we have got to see that President Obama is re-elected and that he also gets a congress and senate that is not made up of people who have been bought by these greedy rich fools and huge corporations

• 36 GGail
          October 2, 2011 at 6:36 pm

I whole-heartily agree with you both GCLinda & Majii. We MUST PRESS ON! and protect our President from these dirty behind the scenes players. Expose and defeat!

6. October 2, 2011 at 4:32 pm

What does it take to make them pay? I know,”Hell has no fury and Heaven will not curry favor,” for these criminals nor their cronies!But there has to be made an example of what’s not right with these,”absolute power corrupts absolutely power players!”

7. 38 Me4obama
    October 2, 2011 at 4:33 pm

This is what the Teabaggers are bowing down to. We really need to work triple time to NEVER let these corporate Masters buy our freedom and steal our elections. It will never happen as long as I have energy left in me. NO WAY NO HOW. Let’s vote the Koch puppets out of congress. Obama 2012

October 2, 2011 at 4:43 pm

You got it!

• 40 dotster3
      October 2, 2011 at 4:53 pm

And every news site which has a tea party story, like in Chgo now with the teabag convention in town, spread this news about the tbag benefactors. Every LTE which mentions the tea party, respond with this news. Write LTEs for peeps not on twitter. Spread everywhere.

October 2, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Thanks for posting this on the “let’s do this” thread desertflower. I read it when you posted it and immediately tweeted it. It’s very disturbing how far the Koch Bros tentacles have spread from domestic to international waters.

9. 44 Bill
    October 2, 2011 at 4:34 pm

It is significant that Bloomberg is reporting the story.

10. 46 Fred
    October 2, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Charles Koch: Social Security for me, but not for thee

The Nation has a fantastic exclusive demonstrating the depths of Charles Koch’s hypocrisy. To set the scene: It’s 1973, and Koch is the newly-appointed president of the Institute for Humane Studies, a libertarian think tank that was sort of a precursor to Koch’s Cato Institute. He’s trying to lure Friedrich Hayek, “the leading laissez-faire economist of the twentieth century,” from his home in Austria to the Institute as “distinguished senior scholar.” Hayek originally refuses, on the basis of having had some serious health concerns, and wanting to be in his home country—with its generous social benefits and health protections.

Eager to have Hayek come to the Institute, staff there began researching options for his health coverage, finding out that he had paid into Social Security when he had lived in the U.S. and taught at the University of Chicago in the 1950s. From there it gets really fun.

On August 10, 1973, Koch wrote a letter appealing to Hayek to accept a shorter stay at the IHS, hard-selling Hayek on Social Security’s retirement benefits, which Koch encouraged Hayek to draw on even outside America. He also assured Hayek that Medicare, which had been created in 1965 by the Social Security amendments as part of Lyndon Johnson’s Great Society programs, would cover his medical needs.

Koch writes: “You may be interested in the information that we uncovered on the insurance and other benefits that would be available to you in this country. Since you have paid into the United States Social Security Program for a full forty quarters, you are entitled to Social Security payments while living anywhere in the Free World. Also, at any time you are in the United States, you are automatically entitled to hospital coverage.”

Then, taking on the unlikely role of Social Security Administration customer service rep, Koch adds, “In order to be eligible for medical coverage you must apply during the registration period which is anytime from January 1 to March 31. For your further information, I am enclosing a pamphlet on Social Security.”[…]

Publicly, in academia and in politics, in the media and in propaganda, these two major figures—one the sponsor, the other the mandarin—have been pushing Americans to do away with Social Security and Medicare for our own good: we will become freer, richer, healthier and better people.

But the exchange between Koch and Hayek exposes the bad-faith nature of their public arguments. In private, Koch expresses confidence in Social Security’s ability to care for a clearly worried Hayek. He and his fellow IHS libertarians repeatedly assure Hayek that his government-funded coverage in the United States would be adequate for his medical needs.None of them—not Koch, Hayek or the other libertarians at the IHS—express anything remotely resembling shame or unease at such a betrayal of their public ideals and writings. Nowhere do they worry that by opting into and taking advantage of Social Security programs they might be hastening a socialist takeover of America. It’s simply a given that Social Security and Medicare work, and therefore should be used.[…]

This is a grand swindle played on a trusting, gullible public, a scam whose goal is to con America’s dying middle class into handing over their retirement money to the richest 0.1 percent, convincing them that in doing so, they’re “empowering” themselves and protecting their “individual liberty.”

Hayek did end up, in 1974 and again in 1977, as a resident scholar at IHS. The Nation has filed FOIA requests to find out if he took Koch’s advice and took advantage of the Social Security and Medicare benefits to which he was entitled, but hasn’t yet received a response. But the entire story, very much worth the read, really demonstrates the basic hypocrisy of the libertarian underpinnings from which the tea party, and modern Republican party, have grown: “[E]very man for himself; selfishness is a virtue.”

October 2, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Chips,
    Thank you very much for putting this on here. This is really important info that should be read by everyone…these men, and the companies they own and control, have engaged in illegal dealings for profit.They truly believe that they are so big, so wealthy, so powerful, that they law of these United States DOES NOT APPLY TO THEM! They are the backbone and evil seed of the TeaParty…no “grassroots” there, as we all know.
    I can’t remember which one it was (David?) that ran for President some years ago, and lost…but vowed from that moment on, that he would find some way to inject his views into the bloodstream of America…the Teaparty is born!
    These men are dangerous to our country and our democracy. They are corporate titans the kind that pay for influence in Washington…and elected officials listen to them…especially this new crop of crazies…it’s all connected.
    What I hope is that some one from the Federal govt that hate so much (damn Feds with their rules and regulations!…check out how the Koch Bros have dumped illegally in streams and waterways…)knocks on their doors with arrest warrants and throws their collective asses in jail and confiscates their companies for engaging in all things illegal.
    Thank you for putting this here. Senators, reps, MSM and others need to know!

October 2, 2011 at 4:58 pm

By the way, they have already started their “damage control” ahead of this being published. Let me see if I can find the link for that.

October 2, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Ha! Last night, Charles M. Blow of the NYT made mention on Twitter of something gruesome in Perry’s past (I won’t go there) and said Perry could never again mention Rev. Wright. So, I tweeted back snarkily to thank him for “indirectly” supporting President Obama. Got this response, to which I say if that were true, good, but I don’t think he’s proven himself to be above the fray:

CharlesMBlow Charles M. Blow

@JOBoomr I support positions, not candidates

October 2, 2011 at 4:49 pm

So I tweeted back:

You said you “support positions, not candidates” – good for you but Barack Obama is more than a candidate; he’s our PRESIDENT.

• 54 Linda
        October 2, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Could he have been referring to this?

Paint Creek, Tex. — In the early years of his political career, Rick Perry began hosting fellow lawmakers, friends and supporters at his family’s secluded West Texas hunting camp, a place known by the name painted in block letters across a large, flat rock standing upright at its gated entrance.

“Niggerhead,” it read.

• 55 utaustinliberal
          October 2, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Oh my goodness. How reprehensible and vile is Rick Perry? Reading that article made my stomach churn in disgust. Who – apart from racist scumbags – leases a property for years with a vile name such as “N*****head; fish and hunt there comfortably, vacation there comfortably, and invite influential Texan movers and shakers there. Now he wants to walk back the abhorrent nature of his actions. There is NO excuse and NO justification for such morally corrupt behavior. NONE AT ALL. This is INEXCUSABLE.

• 56 GGail
            October 2, 2011 at 6:46 pm

And the rock is still there! How long do you think the white paint is gonna cover that word???? DISGUSTING!

October 2, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Linda – Yes; Charles Blow was referring to that. It made me sick to my stomach to reference it, but that’s the one. Thanks for finding the link, so I can tweet it.

• October 2, 2011 at 5:41 pm

he needs to stop. how does he vote in elections if he doesn’t support candidates.

13. 59 Fred
    October 2, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Surprise! On American Jobs Act, Louie Gohmert doesn’t know what he’s talking about and never did

Texas Republican Louie Gohmert is rolling around on the floor of his congressional office in a fit of snickering and spittle, because he figured out that no lawmaker had officially proposed Barack Obama’s American Jobs Act to Congress. This means that technically speaking, the name “American Jobs Act” did not yet exist in the files, because the Democrats are losers. Gohmert immediately pooped himself with puerile excitement and ran off to scribble “American Jobs Act: no more corporate taxes forever” on two sheets of paper and then handed it over to the House. BAM, filed. He wins, that’s it! The name is his!

All he did was add a section to a bill that said:

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `American Jobs Act of 2011′.

Why would he have to put that in there? Because the actual title of his bill is:

To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to repeal the corporate income tax.

Thing is, anyone can add a similar section to their own bill, claiming the informal short title “American Jobs Act.” There’s nothing at all about what Gohmert did that prevents others from using the same title. And of course, as was always the plan, someone has. That someone being Rep. John Larson (D-CT), Chairman of the House Democratic Caucus.

Like so:

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE; TABLE OF CONTENTS.

(a) Short Title- This Act may be cited as the `American Jobs Act of 2011′.

And just like that, there’s another bill “named” the American Jobs Act. Ta-da! Nice job, Louie!

Remember, this is something that set the blogosphere on fire two weeks ago, with wingnuts in particular pissing their pants with glee. But like most conserva-crazes, it turned out not to be even the least bit grounded in reality.

Did Gohmert steal this bill from Herman Cain? 😉

14. 62 Doris
    October 2, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Hispanic Students Vanish from Alabama Schools

Alabama’s crazy new laws targeting illegal immigrants have started an exodus from their schools. Alabama’s laws are said to be even more severe, more draconian than in Arizona.

http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/scarce/hispanic-students-vanish-alabama-schoolsOctober 01, 2011 12:39 AM

October 2, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Same thing happened here in AZ. Sick, cruel, shameful idiots. They never talk about the BILLIONS in lost agriculture because no one was around anymore to pick the produce in the fields…but, by god…they got rid of those BROWN PEOPLE!

• 64 Doris
        October 2, 2011 at 5:09 pm

There are no words.

October 2, 2011 at 5:17 pm

I have PLENTY of words, none of them good.I think you can guess…hurtful, ugly excuse for human beings…but they don’t care because “those people” don’t run in their crowd…they never have to see their faces, or those of their children.They will never run into them at a charity event or fancy dinner with $300 bottles of wine.Not on the radar…they can’t contribute to their campaign coffers, so what good are they?They are the “untouchables”.

• 66 Doris
            October 2, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Chris Hayes did a really good piece this morning on this whole issue. The video is not up yet on msnbc. It is worth the watch. I’ll post it when it comes up. He attacked this from all sides. Sometimes it feels like we are going backwards and it’s really heartbreaking.

• October 2, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Same thing happened here in GA, too, desertflower.

The republican majority in the state legislature passed a harsh immigration bill, most of the migrant workers left, Deal tried getting parolees to replace them, that failed, so the crops laid in the fields and died and farmers lost millions.

October 2, 2011 at 6:07 pm

They never think of the ramifications of their myopic agendas.They never think of all the costs involved in ANYTHING they do…that’s why they can’t govern and never could.Their idiotic actions hurt families, children,business, states, the country, the world…and cost tons of dollars…thought they were supposed to be the fiscal wizards? It’s a LIE.

October 2, 2011 at 4:58 pm

This is so sad, Doris. I keep thinking this could be any of our kids or grandkids (or great grandkids).

And Alabama is in what’s called “The Bible Belt,” forgetting, of course, “the least of these.”

• 70 Doris
        October 2, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Doesn’t it make you sad and sick to your stomach. The President always says, “we’re better than this.”

• 71 dotster3
      October 2, 2011 at 5:15 pm

That law is unbelievable—–forcing teachers and school officials to find out which students are illegal and report them. Ugliness.

October 2, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Russell Pearce wanted that with SB1070…I can’t remember what happened, but that is not in force here, to the best of my knowledge. I do believe that that is against the law and will be stuck down by the courts…I do hope that we give PBO the congress he deserves, and that immigration can be addressed in earnest.With dignity and fairness for all.

• October 2, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Hoisted on their own petard. Bob Cesca had a post up yesterday on the unexpected backlash the principals are experiencing at having to deal with the reality of receiving fewer education funds from the state. Serves them right. As a retired teacher in GA, I know about funding based on student attendance because we use the same formula here. If any of these principals and teachers voted for republicans and cheered as they passed this immigration bill, shame on them. They might have been serving these kids, but it seems their hearts weren’t really in it because they deliberately voted to hurt them. They may have hurt these kids and their parents, but they also inadvertently, hurt themselves. I wonder which one(s) of them will volunteer to be newly unemployed once their school’s funds are cut. My dearly departed mom and dad used to always say that God doesn’t like ugly.

• 74 HZ
        October 2, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Majii, that is so true. It is called ADA, Average Dailey Attendance. The state will pay your school according to the number of students that are present when you call that roll each morning. The district gets these numbers immediately and then report them to the state. Based on these numbers, your district is paid this money.

When I read that, I cried. So many people are being hurt. I pray that POB will get the sensible and caring Congress that he will needd to get a good and fair Immigration Bill passed and signed into law during his second term.

I always have trouble with this “Bible Belt” thing. That is one of the biggest problem. If these ugly people would take the Belt(to hold up, in this case) off of the Bible, they could release the beautiful and commanding words,”When you have done it to the least of these.”, then we will see the better angels in our country doing what is good and fair, and right. HZ

• October 2, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Aha! There you are HZ! Enjoying some quiet time, were you? 😆 😆 Good to see you.

• 77 HZ
              October 3, 2011 at 12:56 am

Hi vcprezofan2, thank you for asking. No, I had a very bad attack had to be admitted to the hospital. It was very scary. Vcprezofan2, the pain is so bad at times, and my body just gives out on me. However, I will fight this as well.

Please keep me in your prayers and thoughts. It is so wonderful to catch up on the news (do not tell my doctors and brother) of my TOD Family. I am one by one, so it gets a little tough at times, but I have very good protection around me.

I love my TOD family and my Chips. I hope you are well also. I saw the news about Sue and Africa. My heart is so full. But we will all make it. We have each other here. I love you back also.HZ

• October 3, 2011 at 8:05 am

Oh, HZ. I hope you are feeling better. You are a fighter all right and I’ll keep you in my prayers.

• October 3, 2011 at 3:33 pm

{{{HZ}}} Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers is a given, HZ. We do have each other for support here, though I confess that I’m going to hesitate before asking the next time one of us is away, as I don’t like this hospital trend that’s started. Take good care of yourself, please!

• 80 GGail
      October 2, 2011 at 6:53 pm

There was a white farmer interviewed the other day on CBS and he said “keep running these people away and you won’t have no food to put on your table. You ain’t gonna come and pick these are you???” He was quite pissed!

15. October 2, 2011 at 4:58 pm

I’m then happy to hear that the unions are joining the OWS movement to give it some coherency and some direction. After the video of the guy insinuating that the president would approve drones on Wall Street, I’m thinking this thing is going off the rails.

16. 86 Fred
    October 2, 2011 at 5:01 pm

In fundraising email;Marcus Bachmann refers to Michelle Bachmann’s LLM in tax law as a “post doctorate in law”

And one more thing—lest you think she doesn’t have the brains to do battle with Obama, she rattles off her degrees: “I’m not only a lawyer, I have a post-doctorate degree in federal tax law from William and Mary,” she told Fox News’ Chris Wallace in June. “I work in serious scholarship.”

But there was one resume item that was missing: a Ph.D. Back in the late 1990s and early 2000s, when Bachmann traveled the state as an education activist, she went by “Dr. Michele Bachmann,” even though she had never obtained nor sought the advanced degree that’s a prerequisite for the title. […]

“Dr. Bachmann” might have given the activist a bit more gravitas, but it was not an appropriate title. Bachmann received a J.D.—the standard law school degree—from Oral Roberts University, and an LL.M. in tax law from William & Mary in 1988. The LL.M. does count as a post-doctoral degree, as Bachmann says, because it came after she had received a “terminal degree”—that is, a degree that can’t be directly improved upon. But while J.D. (juris doctor) has the word “doctor” in it, it is not accepted practice for J.D.’s to refer to themselves as “Dr.”

October 2, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Just a preview of Koch products you shouldn’t be buying…

October 2, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Another important reminder….with graphs!

19. 97 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    October 2, 2011 at 5:22 pm

THIS KIND OF BEHAVIOR IS PAR FOR THE COURSE FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO UNDERMINE AND CONTROL THIS COUNTRY! WE NEED TO OUST THE KOCH BROS. FROM THEIR DISGUSTING REPUBLICAN THROWN AND EXPOSE THEM FOR WHAT THEY ARE!

October 2, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Exactly. Spread this around!

• October 2, 2011 at 5:32 pm

I agree, Sue, and I’m hoping this Bloomberg article will be the first in a long series of articles that expose the Koch Bros for whom/what they are: greedy, lying, cheating, thieving power hungry men of extremely poor character.

October 2, 2011 at 5:31 pm

OH for crying out loud!!! The “wolf pack” of politicos and talking heads have decided to sit down with Tweety and talk about what PBO has to do next year to get elected????!!!!!! WTF?

• 101 Doris
      October 2, 2011 at 5:41 pm

I know, he announced it on Friday’s show. This is going to be a mess. I wish he would stop with his madness. He’s going to go after the President bigtime.

• October 2, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Don’t get too upset about this, DF,

If PBO wasn’t a credible threat to the status quo, there would be no need for them to do this. I never recall a panel of this sort created to discuss what GWB needed to do to get reelected in 2004. More Bull Stank is all this is, an attempt to create and peddle a new conspiracy theory, and/or an attempt to create a distraction from having Congress take action on PBO’s jobs bill, and/or an attempt to provide cover for the radical, do nothing republican members of the House. They know Boehner is a failure, but instead of having the courage to say so, they shine the light on PBO who has no control over Congress. He can only sign/veto what they pass. He can’t introduce a bill into any House of Congress, and he can’t cast a vote in any House. PBO’s jobs bill had to be introduced by a dem in the House. The Constitution established these rules, and PBO has to abide by them. If he broke any one of them, Issa and the other republicans along with Kucinich and a few other dems would scream, “IMPEACH HIM!” as loud as they could.

October 2, 2011 at 5:46 pm

I know you’re right…but this group of clowns actually thinks it knows what PBO should do ? Give me a break….so much to talk about (how about these KOCH BROS!) yet they all can sit around and critique and ruminate about what this President should do. ACCORDING TO THEM!

• 104 carol in ky
      October 2, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Oh for crying out loud is right!! With that bunch of talking heads on the panel, it should prove to be totally ‘enlightening’. Not!
      They’ll spend the whole hour listing all the ways the president has failed, and Tweety will interrupt and spit continuously. Sick.
      We used to watch his show almost daily until I realized that I was always tense & uptight when it was over. Now I never tune
      in and feel sooooo much better.

October 2, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Obama Admin comes to the rescue of women…again

Just so none of us will ever forget: Republicans.Hate.Women.

• 106 utaustinliberal
      October 2, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Thanks for this desertflower. Just tweeted it so that more women know that this President stands with them and protects their rights and freedom of choice.

Honestly; the hate republicans have for women; you’d think they’d leave OUR uterus alone.

October 2, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Yea, they really DO need to NOT worry about MY lady parts so damn much! Freudian Freaks. Thanks for sending that to Tweetland:) Important stuff.

• 108 GGail
      October 2, 2011 at 7:04 pm

The President has once again thwarted the enemy – OH MY!

“There is, however, some good news from the warfront: Just a few weeks ago, the Obama Administration contracted with Planned Parenthood of Northern New England to provide family planning services in New Hampshire, thus ending a crisis faced by low-income women (and men). In short, women of New Hampshire will now be able to obtain contraceptives and cancer screenings”

October 2, 2011 at 5:37 pm

The wonderful Deaniac at TPV, has also posted the link to this thread on that blog:)

23. 110 dotster3
    October 2, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Hmmmm. I see the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon) is launching a major expansion of its “I am Mormon” ad campaign, seeking to “educate the public and dispel myths” about the faith—-with TV ads and billboards etc. Call me cynical, but I think this might possibly have something to do with Romney’s campaign, especially since most of the targeted states seem to be the projected toss up states. I find this troubling.

October 2, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Absolutely. Won’t change the hard core religious’ minds though. They (Mormons) will always be a cult to them

24. 112 carolyn
    October 2, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Tweety and his ilk are the most arrogant. Do they remember President Obama did rather spectacularly in 2008 with no help from them? He didn’t need their “ideas” any more then than he does now. I think there are too many talking heads on too many 24/7 cable stations with too little to do. They have to make up stuff to keep their coffers full. That’s all this is about…..making money!

October 2, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Agreed, carolyn. I think we should turn them off:) The kids at school had a NO ELECTRONIC MEDIA week….good idea for grownups:) We could garden, read, write letters, write LTE, spend time with our children, go pumpkin picking,lots of more important things.

25. October 2, 2011 at 5:49 pm

CALL TO ACTION – WINNERS ANNOUNCED

I was so impressed by the email I received in response to my call to action email. After reading what others are doing, I know we will all be inspired to do just a bit more. In fact I could not pick just one person so I am sending out prized to the 4 folks listed below.

Thanks to all who entered, Keep entering, each week you have a new chance to win.

Here is a picture of the prizes. Chips if you can figure out to embed it on your blog, feel free.

this is so fun – I love craft projects

———-

hgerhard

You asked for a report on our activities this week. It’s been a busy one. OFA-MA had a Neighborhood Team Convention in Worcester, MA today, Saturday, Oct. 1st. It was an exciting and successful event with well over 100 people attending (it was a statewide meeting). I am an OFA Community Organizer and work in 4 cities and 1 town in the 7th Congressional district (Massachusetts). At the Worcester meeting, I led a breakout session where we discussed the best ways to start a new neighborhood team in an area where there is little or no OFA activity.

In my area, we have neighborhood teams in different stages of development in all 5 communities. Four of the teams were represented at the meeting; the 5th is still getting off the ground and does not, as of today, have a Neighborhood Team Leader.

I can only estimate the number of phone calls, emails and personal visits that went into preparing for the big event. One of the teams has a regular Monday night team meeting which I attended on September 26th. We planned our activities for the fall and started a Facebook page for the group.

I contacted at least 50 people by phone or email to recruit for today’s event and arrange for rides to Worcester and back.

On Tuesday, September 27th, I was invited to a fundraiser in Boston (attending as an OFA volunteer, not a paying guest) and had the wonderful opportunity of meeting Vice President Biden. He is such a great friend and supporter of our President – you have to love him!

Wednesday, September 28th, I spent most of the day meeting with new volunteers in two cities.

Thursday, September 29th, I attended a phone bank in OFA headquarters in Boston. I also called all confirmed participants of today’s event to make sure that everything was in place.

Fridays, I still work. I am basically retired, but I still have one day of work to supplement my Social Security.

As far as tweeting is concerned, I tweet every morning. I check your site, The People’s View and some other blogs on a regular basis and tweet a lot of posts.

I particularly like the positive news on your site and these are regularly re-tweeted many times over. I have to mention that I am very new to Twitter and do not fully understand how these new media work.

Before I forget, I also called my two U.S. Senators (John Kerry and Scott Brown), my Congressional rep (Edward Markey) and Speaker Boehner’s and Senator McConnell’s office on Monday to ask them to support and prioritize the American Jobs Act.

I joined the Grassroots Fundraising challenge and sent 4 separate small donations to Donna’s page to boost her chances of getting that phone call.

I have a Grassroots Fundraising page of my own, but don’t have a clue how to make it accessible to anyone except by direct invitation. Let’s just say that I am the world’s least effective fundraiser and would rather contribute to someone else’s effort.

So that’s been my week. Tomorrow I have to catch up with all the data entry and send follow-up emails to the convention participants from my area.

The next week is shaping up as busy as the one just ended. But I’m loving it. I can’t imagine anything more worthwhile than organizing for the re-election of the best President of my lifetime.

——————-

Myra

-I made 4 donations: One to Donna, one to Speaker Pelosi and 2 directly to the President
    -I attended two phone banks (2 hours each)
    -Ran a team meeting (2 hours)
    -Made post cards for the AJA and passed them out to 25 people and gave them the address of their congress persons to mail them to (I don’t know – maybe 3 hours)
    -I responded 4 times to my congressman who sent me these stupid form letters EXPLAINING the AJA instead of committing to SUPPORTING it.
    -I sent a response back to my Senator who sent me a stupid form letter DESCRIBING her position on the economy instead of committing to the SUPPORTING it
    -I e-mailed Speaker Pelosi, thanked her for backing the President and told her to get on those lazy Dems

-I participated in a State wide call for volunteers. (1 hours)
    This was soooo much fun!

——–

Kittypat

WIW, here is what my team has done so far this week, conducted a phone bank on Mon evening, 5:00-7:30 pm, three of us attended the President’s speech on the AJA on Tuesday, Voter registration canvass Wed evening 5:00- 8:00 p.m., ten of us are going to a regional team meeting tomorrow from 10:00-4:00 to share ideas and receive training.

——–

Jackie G

This week I e-mailed and tweeted Senator Casey and called his office re the AJA. Also e-mailed and tweeted Pat Toomey, hopeless as that is. Also made about 5 donations to the President’s election campaign in addition to many more over the last month. Had a two hour meeting with the OFA rep assigned to our county and worked out ways to support OFA efforts and help recruit volunteers. My biggest wish? A Press On button.

• October 2, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Congratulations to all the winners. These are amazing efforts. Brava! Thanks for doing this WiW…great idea.

• October 2, 2011 at 7:10 pm

This is inspiring because the enumerating of what was done, provides ideas for others. Congratulations to all the winners! Keep on keeping on, y’all, and thank you WiW for your organization.

• 117 GGail
      October 2, 2011 at 7:23 pm

WiW – these are wonderful and so full of excitement! Congratulations to all of the winners! PRESS ON!!!

26. 119 Me4obama
    October 2, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Well, after reading on Twitter that the occupywallsttreet where protesting the Federal Reserve building in Boston this smells like Ron Paul’s behind. Then I just received a tweet that on Chrishayes a woman said that occupywallsttreet is very Anti Obama. But still am reserving my judgement until I dig up more info.

• October 2, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Welp, any feelings of camaraderie I may have had for them is dissipating. I do know that whenever I would see a clip or story about them and someone was asked what exactly they wanted or who their leader was, they were happy to say there were no specifics. 😯

Which….okay, if this is just a general Wall Street protest against greed, or just an attention-raising exercise, that’s all well and good. That has its place. However, without organization and real goals, you run the risk of things that are starting to happen, happening. People co-opting the message, attention whores, out of control egos, etc.

I just really don’t understand why it is so hard for people on the left to get organized, come up with concrete goals, apply pressure, and get what they want. They sound like they’re gonna do the easy thing: Blame Obama.

October 2, 2011 at 6:18 pm

This was posted as a list of demands from OccupyWallSt:
      https://occupywallst.org/forum/detailed-list-of-demands-overview-of-tactics-for-d/ I happened upon MM on ? show the other night as I was clicking around…of course he had to be there with them, he had a book to sell….he said that there were people from ALL political views down there and they all had their own reasons for being there….whatever that means. Check the demands…I think that they have every right to protest, but that alone won’t get the job done…they need to involve their elected reps…and since I would bet dollars to donuts that a big hunk of them sat out the last election because they didn’t get their perfect pony, we are now having to deal with the aftermath of their stupid! If they think for one NY second that anyone in the House will take up and hear their grievences , they are sadly mistaken. These guys are BOUGHT AND PAID FOR by the very TBTF banks that they are angry at!

October 2, 2011 at 6:52 pm

The problem with this list as I see it is that it is too nebulous and could mean anything or everything. With a list like this, it makes it VERY easy for someone with nefarious motives (like the guy in the video I posted) to hijack the agenda and try to derail the movement to suit their own very partisian purposes. For example, I’ve seen and heard that young people are “angry” that they don’t have jobs, yet I haven’t seen a single sign or heard a single word uttered by any of the protesters in support of the President’s Jobs bill which he recently laid out. I haven’t seen a single attempt to register voters or to call out specific people in congress who are balking at the current jobs bills. And as for this nonsense about “social justice?” I can’t help but feel it’s some sort of rebuke against the President because he didn’t specifically speak out during the Troy Davis execution and also because he’s been successful at defeating Al Qaeda, and some people are MAD.

The fact that MM, West, Old Orange and HuffnPuff seem to be so titillated by this event is also a huge red flag for me.

October 2, 2011 at 7:41 pm

I’m not going to disagree with you, hopefruit…I think that there are a LOT of different agendas going on simultaneously. Some good and noble, some…not so much.

October 2, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Let’s hope the better heads prevail and the unions are able to keep this thing focused. I saw some folks on Twitter begging the President to get involved before the “Green Party starts making gains from fed up folks” so obviously there is some concern about Naderism…

October 2, 2011 at 9:29 pm

No doubt….I hope some good things happen from this…don’t need another “free for all” mish mash.

27. 126 a4alice
    October 2, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Hey Twitterers: I just got three invites from people asking me if I wanted to be part of their “Mafia” family. It provides a link to click. I’m thinking that it’s probably not real. so just a heads up. Don’t know how to find out for sure if it is not real though. but better safe than sorry.

• 127 Me4obama
      October 2, 2011 at 6:15 pm

I think I saw a tweet from OUr4thEsatate Bob, saying that AngryBlackLady was hacked, not sure though, but if I were u, I would ignore it or report it.

• October 2, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Yeah, that’s a hack…don’t click on the link…delete that and any Direct Message that contains a link.

• October 2, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Ouch! I just responded to one such purportedly coming from Africa. Drat! I should have known she wouldn’t be sending out invites on a day like today. Grrr! I was just too happy and eager that she was requesting to follow me. Grrr!

October 2, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Yes I got one from Sonja Duncan and from Sue Duvall Smith. Thankfully I didn’t click on any of them.

• October 2, 2011 at 6:40 pm

hpefruit2, Sonja Duncan and Sue Duvall Smith are President Obama supporters; I know those names from working with the OFA campaign back in 2007-2008 or so.

• 138 terim
          October 2, 2011 at 7:13 pm

I also receive mine from someone posing as Sonja Duncan. I think several accounts have been hacked.

• October 2, 2011 at 7:20 pm

I got a few today too, I was very puzzled! Looked it up and found this 2009 article:

If you’re getting invitations to join peoples’ Mafia families, you might be wondering why – and whether it’s safe to respond. Is it a worm or just a bit of fun?

If you’re on Twitter, you may have been surprised to receive a direct message (like an email, in that it’s not in the public domain) from someone who follows you, saying something like

“Hey, I just added you to my Mafia family. You should accept my invitation! 🙂 Click here:”

And then there’s a link to playmobsterworld.com, where the “Mafia family” game seems to be hosted.

……..So is it dangerous, in Ferguson’s view? “It’s not overtly malicious, but it is definitely configured to fool the unwary into generating publicity through social worm techniques.”

• October 2, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Hi Chips, that is exactly what mine statedd this afternoon. “Hey, I just added you to my Mafia family. You should accept my invitation! Click here:”

The word ‘should’ alerted me. When someone other than my mother or docter tells me should, I follow through. Mother deceased, and doctors know to discuss with me fully before using the word should.

Thanks so much Chips.HZ

• 141 a4alice
        October 2, 2011 at 6:40 pm

hey vc when you clicked on the link did anything happen?

• October 2, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Not sure. I didn’t seem to get a response, so I followed up on twitter by sending an acceptance to Africa. I haven’t figured out exactly what to do when someone asks to follow me, because the response seems to differ. Sometimes I’ve clicked on their request and it took me back to my account where I then pressed ‘accept’ and sometimes it didn’t seem to work until I emailed them separately. [Told you guys that technology just has to sense me coming to start acting up.] If the ‘Mafia’ link was indeed a hack, what can I expect to happen?

• 143 Tally
            October 2, 2011 at 7:52 pm

When someone wants to FOLLOW you, they just click FOLLOW, unless YOU have your account restricted, then they are required to send you a follow request – which, I assume, you then have to OKAY. (I don’t know. I don’t require that step of followers, I just block the baggers and RWNJ who try to follow me.)

But this Mafia thing IS NOT LIKE THAT, and HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH TWITTER. If you accepted anything regarding this, please READ: (From CHIP’s link above)

“Having granted read & write access to your Twitter account through OAuth though, the game can send DMs without your knowledge. [emphasis added – CA]

“The default settings on the game account definitely lead to a barrage of Update Tweets. The “Cancel Account” option, despite warning you that it is an irrevocable step, does not work – the account remains active and can be reused at any time. The OAuth permissions granted on your Twitter account are also not revoked. [emphasis added – CA]”

So it grabs hold of your Twitter account and won’t let go. That’s not good, in the scheme of things. What if the owners decided to start using their access to tweet links to malware links, or adverts? It would seem to come from you to your friends.

Our opinion: probably best avoided. You can deny it any further access to your Twitter account on Twitter’s system itself, at Twitter’s Settings -> Connections page, which will show you what programs and sites are allowed to access your account. If you don’t want Mobster World to have that access, deny it there.”

• 144 a4alice
              October 2, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Ah thanks for that Tally I just wanted to make sure I hadn’t accidentally clicked on the link. Now I know what to look for I can see all is well with my account.

• October 2, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Finally found Twitter ‘application’ and it says ‘No applications have been authorized to use your account’. Please tell me this mean I’m safe for now.

• 147 a4alice
                October 2, 2011 at 9:41 pm

That’s what I take it to mean vc I have let some apps use my twitter authentication like when I’m commenting at other blogs using a different app like “DISCUS” but I didn’t see that app in there. Just to be safe I also changed my password.

• October 2, 2011 at 10:15 pm

I changed my password too and as I only use twitter for this campaign and have none of the other gadgets, I should be fine. Now I’m more aware I’ll keep my eyes open for the mafia types. 😉

• 149 Bobfr
      October 3, 2011 at 2:22 pm

It’s a hack – you should report it to twitter and change your passwd if someone tells you they received that invitation, via twitter, from you.

#YesWECanDOMoreTogether

28. 150 Ladyhawke
    October 2, 2011 at 6:29 pm

THE NEW YORKER – “COVERT OPERATIONS”

The billionaire brothers who are waging a war against Obama

By Jane Mayer

=================================================

Here are two fascinating excerpts from this very disturbing article from August 30, 2010

1) A Republican campaign consultant who has done research on behalf of Charles and David Koch said of the Tea Party, “The Koch brothers gave the money that founded it. It’s like they put the seeds in the ground. Then the rainstorm comes, and the frogs come out of the mud—and they’re our candidates!”

2) The Republican campaign consultant said of the family’s political activities, “To call them under the radar is an understatement. They are underground!” Another former Koch adviser said, “They’re smart. This right-wing, redneck stuff works for them. They see this as a way to get things done without getting dirty themselves.” Rob Stein, a Democratic political strategist who has studied the conservative movement’s finances, said that the Kochs are “at the epicenter of the anti-Obama movement. But it’s not just about Obama. They would have done the same to Hillary Clinton. They did the same with Bill Clinton. They are out to destroy progressivism.”

=================================================

October 2, 2011 at 6:50 pm

That’s right, Ladyhawke:) I have this story saved in my favorites, as well….Evil in a $8000 suit. Worth the read.

29. October 2, 2011 at 6:31 pm

Van Jones just sent out this email about the occupy wall street event. Also when he spoke on the Bill Maher show he said that what they were doing on Wall street just underscored the need for jobs. I am not convinced the protest is “anti Obama”. since the Unions and Teachers are also supporting it I will probably participate in this online Wed. There may be some folks there who are yelling at Obama, but the movement itself should play to his agenda for creating jobs and taxing corporations and the wealthy.

—Van Jones message ——-

Wall Street has long been the home of the biggest threat to American democracy. Now it has become home to what may be our best hope for rescuing it.

For everyone who loves this country, for everyone whose heart is breaking for the growing ranks of the poor, for everyone who is seething at the unopposed demolition of America’s working and middle class: the time has come to get off the fence.

A new generation has gone to the scene of the crimes committed against our future. The time has come for all people of good will to give our full-throated backing to the young people of the Occupy Wall Street movement.

So this Wednesday, we’re joining with MoveOn, and labor and community groups in New York for a massive march down to the Occupy Wall Street encampment. And for those who can’t make it to New York, we’re also holding a huge online “Virtual March on Wall Street” in solidarity with the brave protesters in New York.

Click here to sign up for Wednesday’s Virtual March and we’ll send all the details.

Occupations are springing up all over the country as well. You can see if there’s one near you by clicking here:

Our movement was born after Madison, Wisconsin, to stand up for middle and working class families. We’ve engaged 130,000 people to crowd-source our own jobs agenda—the Contract for the American Dream. In August, tens of thousands of us demonstrated for jobs in rallies across the nation. And this week in Washington, D.C., we host our first national gathering: the Take Back The American Dream conference.

The cccupation of Wall Street—and the occupations throughout the country—are expressions of the same spirit and dynamic. And these particular demonstrations, perhaps uniquely, contain the spark to grow into a movement that can be transformative. They are the first, small step in the creation of a movement that can restore American democracy, and renew the American Dream.

Now is our time to choose. Will we keep rewarding those whose financial manipulations have brought us to ruin? Or will we stand with those whose democratic innovations are breathing life into our finest ideals? Both groups are within blocks of each other in downtown Manhattan.

For the past 30 years, the country has stood behind the titans on Wall Street and their values. We listened when they said that their banks were too big too fail. Today, there is only one thing that’s too big to fail: the dreams of this new generation, finding its voice in Liberty Park. All of America should now stand with them.

Thank you for being a part of, and believing in, this movement.

–Van, Natalie, Billy, Jim, Ian, Somer, and the rest of the Rebuild the Dream team

P.S. I had a wonderful opportunity to talk about the American Dream Movement on Real Time with Bill Maher on Friday. You can see a clip and share it on Facebook here: http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=271913736162194

• October 2, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Leave it to Van Jones to tell it like it is. He pretty much laid out the case for the Wall Street protests better than anyone else–and notice, he didn’t throw it at the President.

If the unions and Move-On–and Van Jones–are joining the protests, then that will go a long way to getting them focused.

• October 2, 2011 at 8:27 pm

To tell the truth, i’m not convinced that Van Jones is not gonna be a big time player in PBO’s next term. Something tells me that he and the President talk on a regular basis. Can’t prove it, blame it on my gut. 😉

• 156 a4alice
      October 2, 2011 at 10:24 pm

That is very interesting WIW. Your link lead me from one thing to another as I was delving deeper to try and discern what this is all about. It seems to me that what I am seeing are people – not just young people but older union people from teachers unions, pilot unions there were some older Americans marching in Boston. Anyway all these people are protesting corporate greed and what that has done to the middle class. Also I learned their main tenant is to protest with Non Violence.

One of the vids I watched was their process for making decisions about their demands. Here is the link: http://nycga.cc/2011/09/22/the-demand-is-a-process/.

I’m not quite sure what to make of it all yet, but I am compelled to watch. Their tenant of non violence makes me think they are serious in their intentions. But I’m not sure yet of what their intentions are.

30. 158 Ladyhawke
    October 2, 2011 at 6:46 pm

COULD OCTOBER 2011 BRING AN “AMERICAN AUTUMN”??

Van Jones was interviewed on The Last Word with Lawrence O’Donnell last week. He feels that October 2011 will be a turning point when Americans across the country will take to the streets demanding jobs.

==============================================================

October 2, 2011 at 7:01 pm

I hope Van Jones is aware of who ultimately gets helped by this demonstration and who gets hurt by it. I’m already seeing signs that this movement is becoming an “anti-government” movement from the “left” with an “all government is bad” approach and no specific targets. For example, where does the AJA fit in all of this? Are they going to push for the AJA, or pretend that it doesn’t exist and lump the President together with Repubs and Wall Street CEOS. I need Mr. Jones to be more specific about what actions they are going to take and who exactly their targets are? So far I see no concrete goals being set, just ginning up of superficial anger around a set of non-specific grievances.

• 160 Bobfr
        October 2, 2011 at 7:31 pm

DITTO

#PASSTHEBILL

• 161 Ladyhawke
        October 2, 2011 at 7:33 pm

I hear ya hope. There is so much going on now. It’s kind of chaotic right now. Randi Rhodes was talking about this last week. She felt the Wall Street demonstrations were disorganized and unfocused. Randi thought the focus should be getting money out of politics. She felt that was something that everyone could agree on.

There are so many grievances. There is the issue of jobs, there is the issue of Wall Street, there is the issue of money in politics – like the Koch brothers, there is the issue of voter disenfranchisement,there is the attack on unions, there is the issue of a feckless media, on and on. Bottom line, the American people are fed up and desperate for work. They are sick of Washington gridlock.

I share your concern that we don’t want these demonstrations to become anti President Obama. I was not happy to see Michael Moore at the Wall Street demonstrations. He was also on Lawrence O’Donnell show last week. He made it a point make some negative comments about the Democrats. It was as if he wanted to make sure he got that dig in.

The Take Back the American Dream Conference that Van Jones was talking about will be held in Washington D.C. from October 3-5. Check out the agenda. It looks some good topics will be discussed.

• 162 Kasai
        October 2, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Hi Everyone…Whewwww….Long w/end..been out demonstrating..passing out flyers..to PASS THE AJA…and all i hear is the WALL STREET demonstration..Sorry I am with Hopefruit2, I noticed that as soon PBO ask the public for his help in passing the Job Bill…all of a sudden we have a distraction… Good Lord!!! I am not downplaying the Wall Street protest..but why now?? If folks are angry about jobs, they should be able to prioritize what’s more important…like feeding their family….and paying their bills. I really don’t get it…while I was out volunteering all I heard was Wall Street..Some folks aren’t even aware of the AJA..It’s sad that PBO has to travel 24/7 to get the message through because the media certainly won’t do it………We didn’t see the Moore’s , West..and others championing for helping the 99’s and the working family, we didn’t see them demonstrating while PBO was trying to pass multiple legislation, including “Wall Street Reform” where have they been? Is this just a coincidence or a distraction for drowning PBO message or what?? Please correct me if I am wrong…but I am really fed up…that every time PBO tries to do anything good for this country some people seem to lose focus on what’s important. If Van and Moore..and Moveon. want to incorporate the AJA in demanding economic relief for the poor by Passing the Bill…I am all for it….until then..I will only focus the task at hand…in helping PBO pass the Job Bill.

October 3, 2011 at 12:40 am

Thank you Kasai. The timing of this demonstration is very, very concerning to me. It’s almost as if this is an attempt to drown out the President while frustrating his efforts to get the bill passed. Gin up as much anger and annoyance with government from the public and get them to be demoralized about pressing congress to get the stuff done. And the bloggers/posters, etc who seem to be most excited about this protest are those who have not been supportive of President Obama the last 3 years…

I hope I turn out to be wrong about these concerns I’m having. I really do.

• October 2, 2011 at 11:50 pm

I’m rooting for Van Jones and I don’t want his movement to get tainted by the dregs of Occupy Wall Street.

Just to be clear, not saying they are all dregs, I just don’t want a minority to speak for the whole group.

October 3, 2011 at 12:33 am

I think Van Jones and his co-sponsors have a responsibility to ensure that his movement doesn’t get hijacked by a bunch of Libertarians, Naderites, disgruntled PUMAS and former Edwards’ supporters, and that it’s message is unequivocal AND supportive of the jobs plan the President has put forth. When you have people like MM, West, etc going on TV and claiming to represent the movement, then there is a problem that needs to be addressed.

• 166 Bobfr
      October 2, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Our4thEstate Bobfr
      @VanJones68 Truly hope that you will be pushing hard to support #PresidentObama’s Jobs Bill as a major focus of #AmericanAutumn #PRESSON

#YesWECanDOMoreTogether

31. 171 Ladyhawke
    October 2, 2011 at 7:00 pm

“HERB” CAIN IS THE ONE WHO IS BRAINWASHED

=========================================

Lawrence O’Donnell interviewed Professor Dorian Warren of Columbia University (who is brilliant and easy on the eyes) about the insulting comment from “Herb” Cain that African Americana are brainwashed. Professor Warren sets the records straight. I hope Lawrence will have him back to discuss the concerted effort by the Republican Party to disenfranchise African American voters for the 2012 elections.

• October 3, 2011 at 12:02 am

That was great, Ladyhawke! Thank you..I don’t even have a tv but it’s informative to see clips like these giving us the scoop on just exactly who’s brainwashed.

• 173 Chi
      October 3, 2011 at 2:34 am

You might want to be careful about the gushing praise of Dorian Warren…

He was on CNN immediately after President Obama’s speech to the HRC last night and he wasn’t exactly respectful or complimentary of the President…

Still running with the CBC bedroom slippers as insult meme…

Just another one trying to get his name out there if you ask me…

Lacks scruples and integrity…and will bash President Obama in the most dishonest manner if it gets him a permanent t.v gig…

32. 175 Bobfr
    October 2, 2011 at 7:33 pm

Our4thEstate Bobfr
    @DOJ Hope the investigation into #KochBroMAFIA is well underway bloom.bg/nGqahE Like that trading with Iran #TEABAGGOP ? #GOPFAIL

#PRESSON

October 2, 2011 at 8:15 pm

• 177 utaustinliberal
      October 2, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Hey Bob. GREAT tweet. But the twitter handle for the DOJ is @TheJusticeDept. So you might want to send the tweet again so they receive it. Once again, GREAT job with the tweets. 🙂

October 2, 2011 at 11:03 pm

The Justice Dept Twitter page says they don’t collect messages or comments … you have to go to their DOJ website. (Info I found out in recent weeks.)

• 179 utaustinliberal
          October 2, 2011 at 11:36 pm

Hey Jacque I think they mean that they won’t collect your messages and comments as part of the open records act or something like that. They’ll stick to privacy laws and not file any comments or messages they receive. So yes you can still tweet them @TheJusticeDept and they’ll read your tweets. They just won’t file them under any governmental records.

33. 181 Me4obama
    October 2, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Oh Gawd I just received the Mafia Tweet in my message box. How do you delete it without clicking on the link. I need your help because am panicking. Help, help, help.

34. 189 chiara
    October 2, 2011 at 7:41 pm

This story is front page on Huffington Post right now……..in big bold red letters calling it a “Bombshell Report” 😉

35. 190 maritza
    October 2, 2011 at 8:17 pm

On Monday, can we donate $19.00 to celebrate our first couple’s wedding university? $5.00?

36. October 2, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Shame on those who seek to rip out more threads from our rich nation’s tattered safety net [for children in poverty] while protecting tax cuts for millionaires. (Marian Wright Edelman)

SHAME ON YOU KOCH BROTHERS, SHAME ON YOU REPUBS AND DEMS IN CONGRESS WHO ARE PROTECTING TAX CUTS FOR BILLIONAIRES/MILLIONAIRES. OH, WAIT YOU HAVE NO SHAME. FOR THE SIN OF TURNING YOUR BACKS ON THE MOST VULNERABLE PEOPLE THAT’S MAJORITY IN THIS COUNTRY MAY YOU EARN WHAT YOU DESERVE

37. October 2, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Hi Everyone, I tweeted the link to main article to our ABC News Outlet here in Sydney. I asked them to ‘follow the money’. You never know, a few links to a news interest story may keep the heat on, or at least, ensure the story is spread globally. I think I’ll put a short list of some news outlets here so I can feed them various stories linked by this fantastic site (thanks Chips) and knowledgeable group. Cheers everyone

October 2, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Thank you so much,Berny! Wouldn’t be at all surprised if these guys had their poison talons into something down under, as well…global reach is a GOOD THING! Send it, spread it,and let’s keep the pressure on! Thanks so much.

38. 202 Ladyhawke
    October 2, 2011 at 9:36 pm

COUNTDOWN SPECIAL REPORT: “SMALL” IN NAME ONLY

THIS NEEDS TO BE TWEETED UNTIL WE BREAK THROUGH THE MEDIA FIREWALL AND GET THE TRUTH TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE.

WHAT’S YOUR DEFINITION OF A SMALL BUSINESS? IS IT A MOM AND POP BUSINESS IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD OR IS IT THE KOCH BROTHERS?? OR IS IT YOUR FAVORITE ATHLETE?? OR YOUR FAVORITE ACTOR??

FOR THE REPUBLICAN PARTY, ‘SMALL BUSINESS’ IS A BRAND NAME. WATCH AS KEITH OLBERMANN BLOWS THE ROOF OFF OF THEIR HYPOCRISY ABOUT TAXES HURTING “SMALL BUSINESSES” AKA S-CORPORATIONS, S-CORPS OR PASSTHRUS.

THE AMERICAN PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW THAT WHEN THE REPUBLICAN PARTY TALKS ABOUT “SMALL BUSINESS BEING HURT BY HIGHER TAXES, THEY ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT SMALL MOM AND POP BUSINESSES. THEY ARE REFERRING TO A N IRS CLASSIFICATION THAT REALLY REFERS TO THE “SMALL NUMBER OF OWNERS” IN A BUSINESS.

CHECK OUT THIS VIDEO, IT WILL BLOW YOUR MIND:

Countdown Special Report: Small in name only

October 2, 2011 at 9:48 pm

One more thought on this Koch Bros issue…pay attention to the people that DEFEND THEM. In Congress, in business, state legislatures and the like. THOSE will be the ones that we need to get rid of ASAP!

40. 205 a4alice
    October 2, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Africa –
    Don’t know if you are around or not – I am so sorry about your mom. my heart goes out to you. my most sincere wish is that you find comfort in wonderful memories – and strength in friends and family. Please accept my condolences.

41. October 2, 2011 at 9:54 pm

I posted this article to twitter earlier this year,but I guess it got lost in the Republican muddle. Here it is again I would bet if someone cared to investigate, they would find plenty.

The Koch’es aren’t the only one’s providing Iran polyurethane that could be used in solid fuel for Iranian missiles, among other things.

Issue for Jon Huntsman: His family’s Iran business

Shortly after Jon Huntsman began his tour as President Barack Obama’s ambassador to China, an unwelcome letter from an anti-Iran nuclear watchdog group arrived at Huntsman Corp., the chemical company founded by his father.

The bluntly worded missive singled out a Tehran-based subsidiary — purchased when Huntsman worked for the company
    — for selling polyurethane that could be used in solid fuel for Iranian missiles, among other things.

“How can it be that Ambassador Huntsman could persuade the Chinese government to impose further economic sanctions on Iran when his namesake former company continues to do business in Iran?” read the letter from United Against a Nuclear Iran, a nonpartisan group founded by the late diplomat Richard Holbrooke and veteran Mideast envoy Dennis Ross.

After three months of back-and-forth, the company founded by Jon Huntsman Sr. and run by Huntsman’s younger brother Peter reluctantly shuttered its Iran operations in January 2010 to avoid “reputational risk.”

But the issue of the subsidiary — first brought to POLITICO’s attention by a Huntsman opponent — suggests that Huntsman faces political risk from his connection to Huntsman Corp., which has 12,000 employees worldwide and revenue exceeding $9 billion as of 2010, when, as expected, he declares his candidacy for president.

Huntsman, 51, placed his company assets in a blind trust in 2004 while he was running for governor of Utah, and divested himself completely the next year. The Iranian subsidiary did nothing illegal – though many other U.S. companies long ago shut down their Iranian operations in protest of the country’s regime.

“It took them a little while, but they did the right thing and we applaud them for it,” Mark Wallace, UANI’s president and a former George W. Bush administration official, told POLITICO. “There are companies who still haven’t done the right thing.”

• October 2, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Thanks, I’m checking all the articles out. Look like a lot of chickens are coming home to roost. All of their walls are tumbling down, and something tells me it’s only the beginning.

I do believe every obstacle that is in President Obama’s way, that is preventing him from doing his job is going to be removed. Call me weird LOL but it seems like everyone that try to slay him, they end up in bad shape. Or bring themselves down.

42. 213 Bobfr
    October 2, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Our4thEstate Bobfr
    The Koch Brothers and Their Influence, Ruining The American Workforce bit.ly/re8bWU It’s Time for a #99PercentSolution #PRESSON

#YesWECanDOMoreTogether

43. 214 Bobfr
    October 2, 2011 at 10:54 pm

The Koch Brothers and Their Influence, Ruining The American Workforce

“The neoconservative billionaire Koch Brothers and the political policies they promote are destroying the very core of the American workforce.

This is an urgent alert to all readers who are not billionaires or millionaires to be on guard of your rights as a worker, along with the air you breathe, the soil you plant your vegetables in and the water you drink. For you see, the Koch (pronounced coke) Brothers, along with their wealth and the power of Koch Industries are out to change the destiny of this once great nation and turn it into America “for the corporation and by the corporation.” Not unlike the unrest we are bearing witness to in other parts of the world, we too, as hard working Americans, need to stand up to these polluters of our air, soil and water and destroyers of unions and the rights of those who they employ.”

More at: http://newsflavor.com/world/usa-canada/the-koch-brothers-and-their-influence-ruining-the-american-workforce/

#99PercentSolution

#PRESSON

#YesWECanDOMoreTogether

44. 216 donna dem 4 obama
    October 2, 2011 at 11:09 pm

I’ve really been trying to do some research on occupy wall street and in having a discussion with a Facebook friend apparently a lot of people were asking what is the protesters purpose so the General Assembly came up with this declaration:

• October 3, 2011 at 12:01 am

Thanks for posting Donna. Now that we know what the grievances are, what will they do besides occupy wall street to solve the grievances? I assume there will be amendments to layout a plan of action for solving the problems, i.e. voting, etc.

October 3, 2011 at 12:18 am

My concerns are that nothing will done, that random anger against “government” is being ginned up, no actionable goals are being set, voter enthusiasm will be depressed for the 2012 elections and our President and the Dem party will bear the brunt of this “movement.” I really hope that folks like Van Jones and those from the Unions understand what they are doing when they throw their support behind this demonstration.

• 219 kittypat
          October 3, 2011 at 12:53 am

I have similar concerns hopefruit.

• October 3, 2011 at 1:05 am

I agree with you Hopefruit. I think the Republicans should be implicated. PBO, has fought for every inch of progress maded since he took office against republicans and bluedog dems. When a lot of the folks at this protest decided to sit on the sidelines during the 2010 election progress has stalled. Like Rhandi Rodes said, the people in Wisconsin knew exactly what they wanted and they did something to make it happen. Even the protestors in Libya and Egypt knew what they wanted to get rid of the dictators.

October 3, 2011 at 12:20 am

Donna – It seems misleading that the organizers are using the term “General Assembly,” as though it were a state legislative group or ??

Or am I as totally clueless about the “occupation” as I think I am?

45. October 2, 2011 at 11:54 pm

Huffington Po is all over this Koch thing too—Oh it’s huge! Hooray for truth and honesty. From listening to Perry’s wife talking about how thrilling it is for people in her state to get minimum wage jobs to union busting in Wisconson–the Koch boys and their tribe are going to be clearly seen by the American public!!!!

46. October 3, 2011 at 1:03 am

Fareed’s Take: Obama should declare a jobs emergency

By Fareed Zakaria, CNN

America’s jobs crisis persists and there often seems to be little we can do about it. But there is one area where government can create jobs – even if consumers aren’t spending and businesses aren’t hiring – and in a way that is productive for long-term growth: Rebuilding America. The American Society of Civil Engineers estimates that America’s crumbling infrastructure needs $2 trillion worth of repairs, upgrades and expansions. With needs on that scale, President Obama’s infrastructure proposals are at 1/20 the size of the problem. We need a big plan and a grand bargain between left and right to get it.

• 225 theo67
      October 3, 2011 at 3:20 am

What exactly does Fareed Zakaria think the President’s been doing at every speech for the past three weeks, and on the road from one coast to the other – with no visible support from any other Democrat? Declare a jobs emergency? It’s already been declared – for heaven’s sake!

• October 3, 2011 at 7:38 am

How does Fareed suppose you get a grand bargain with people who want you and the country to fail and could give two hoots about doing anything that will create jobs and help the economy? He is talking about an ideal world where there are people of goodwill, not Republicans. The president had to come in with something that had a prayer of passing and that had a possibility of being paid for if Congress agreed to his revenue proposals. Even this will have tremendous problems getting support, not only from the R’s but from idiot Dems. I, too, would like to have ideal things happen if only we were living in another world. But come on. If the president had announced a plan costing $2 trillion, when do you suppose howls, ridicule, outrage, hair on fire screaming from the right and some left would end?

47. 227 Bobfr
    October 3, 2011 at 1:34 am

Retweet if you’d like:

#Teabaggers you were used by #KOCHMAFIA in 2010 to elect #KOCHSTOOGES willing to crush jobs in USA … A better choice is #OBAMA2012

#Teabaggers you were used by #KOCHMAFIA in 2010 to elect #KOCHSTOOGES happy to do biz with Iran … A better choice is #OBAMA2012

#FOXNEWSTAINERS + #KOCHMAFIA + #GOPFAIL = Powerful enablement of Iranians that hate AMERICA … TIME TO #PRESSON #OBAMA201

#BOEHNERFAIL #CANTORFAIL how does it feel to know YOU are PRIMARY ENABLERS of #KOCHMAFIA doing biz with Iranian mullahs … RESIGN

#PRESSON

#YesWECanDOMoreTogether

48. 228 Bobfr
    October 3, 2011 at 2:04 am

Brutal Crackdown But the Crooks Go Free

“By Saturday, the hundreds of protesters appeared to have lit a fuse with New York City police. There were rough arrests that bordered on brutality. Pepper spray brought tears and pain. Watch YouTube video of female protesters penned and pepper sprayed .

And to a nation’s shock, not one of the police targets was a banker.

So much for law and order.

If you want to know how a nation supposedly by and for the people has become uprooted, one only needs to see how common young people, who are suffering so badly in this recession, were humiliated further by trying to exercise their given right to peacefully protest.”

More: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/wall-street-elites-enjoy-police-protection-2011-09-27

It’s Time for a #99PercentSolution

#PRESSON

#YesWECanDOMoreTogether

49. October 3, 2011 at 7:29 am

This Koch brothers fiasco is going to be another “too big to fail” test, in the sense that they will put up all the money in the world to bribe and coerce people to drop this subject. I’ve no doubt that Bloomburg Markets is going to feel the wrathful revenge of the K’s. If there are legal consequences, they will go on for years and years because they have the money to stall and stall and stall. The outcome I truly want is for them to be so distracted by their own problems that they stop imposing their undemocratic idea of America on the rest of us. You can bet that their bought and paid for Republicans in Congress will rush to their defense, obstructing all efforts at a congressional investigation. You can bet the Koch governors that were elected around the country will keep pursuing their ugly destruction because they’ve already sold their souls. But a light has now been shone on these roaches and it’s not only up to us to keep it there, we also have to make sure that no other Koch-sponsored reptiles are ever elected to office. These K brothers have shown us what real evil looks like and they are the clearest examples of traitors and seditionists that we’ve seen in a long time. I doubt there is a Republican they bought who didn’t have an idea of the depth of their depravity, but they put money and power above every other thought and then have the gall to question the president’s patriotism. The Tea Party guys were suckers and dupes for the most part, but even now, they may be too slow to get it. Let’s not let this story die. Let’s do everything in our power to give it legs. Let’s write to our congress critters today to let them know we “know” and want an investigation. Write to the DOJ to press for an investigation. Then let’s keep the pressure on for both this AND the jobs act. It’s time the lazy members of Congress did their job. Yes, we’re asking them to walk and chew gum at the same time. The time for sitting on their duffs is over.

50. 230 globalcitizenlinda
    October 3, 2011 at 7:56 am

why is this extreme conservative corruption story not heard anywhere on tv? can we send messages to the MSM and force them to report this story/

@POTUS