Apr

ah yes, cenk uygur – time to re-post this:

Originally posted March 10

President Barack Obama hugs Lilly Ledbetter after signing the ‘Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, January 29, 2009

So, Cenk Uygur (Young Turks), darling of the Professional Left, was, apparently, ranting again today about the President – I don’t know what he was hyperventilating about this time, I only watch him now when I’m in need of a cure for insomnia.

I used to like the guy, always watched his YouTube stuff, but I remembered today the point when we parted company:

This video (you can see it all here) was made just a year in to Barack Obama’s presidency – but by then Uygur had already concluded that the President had failed him and his fellow ‘progressives’.

Okay, that was all a bit predictable from a professional leftie, but what was most incredible about this video was this supposed progressive’s sneering comments about the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act:

“Eventually the Democrats had a 60 seat majority in the Senate, they were unstoppable. And what did we get? Lilly Ledbetter. If you don’t know, that’s a minor bill that passed in the beginning of the administration … it’s a good bill, that’s why I bring it up … about women being entitled to equal pay. God bless. Incredibly easy victory.”

A “minor” bill?

A 2009 bill that amended the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was an incredibly easy victory?

A 2009 bill that finally gave legal support to Lilly Ledbetter’s 1998 equal-pay lawsuit regarding pay discrimination was “minor”?

A lawsuit that the Supreme Court ruled against in 2007, by a 5-4 majority

“The case had never received much attention before going to the Supreme Court, but the Court’s ruling ignited legal groups on the left and Democrats that took action to transform the Ledbetter case into a rallying issue for the left, having activists seen in the figure of the complainant an ideal standard-bearer in their attempt to persuade the public that the Supreme Court was moving too far to the right.”

….The bill was re-introduced in the 111th Congress in January 2009. It passed in the House of Representatives with 247 votes in support and 171 against. The vote was nearly perfectly split along party lines…. The Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act passed the Senate, 61-36, on January 22, 2009.

As president, Obama actively supported the bill. The official White House blog said:

President Obama has long championed this bill and Lilly Ledbetter’s cause, and by signing it into law, he will ensure that women like Ms. Ledbetter and other victims of pay discrimination can effectively challenge unequal pay.

On January 29, Obama signed the bill into law. It was the first act he signed as president, and it fulfilled his campaign pledge to nullify Ledbetter v. Goodyear.

Here’s the video of the signing of the “minor” bill – see how little it meant to all those who attended:

So, did Cenk sneer at the successful conclusion to the long struggle for equal pay for women because he regards equal pay for women as “minor”, or because it was President Obama who signed the bill? Maybe both? Dunno.

I remember thinking, only a Republican could regard equal pay for women as a “minor” achievement. Oh, wait:

(See the full video here, from YearlyKos ’07, where he tries to convince progressives that not only he is no longer “so conservative judicially I went to Federalist Society meetings”, he is now a fully fledged progressive!)

So, from being a Ronald Reagan fan (which he was) and a Federalist Society supporter (wow!) and a critic of “excessive regulation” (good grief), to being a fully fledged Professional Left ‘progressive’ in no time at all …. that’s, um, change we can believe in!

Of course leopards can change their political spots, and it’s very lovely when they shift the spots from right to left, but is there not a touch of the Arianna Huffingtons about this guy? The political shift has paid off beautifully, he’s now a professional leftie media star! (But still not big in to equal pay for women).

22 Responses to “ah yes, cenk uygur – time to re-post this:”

1. 1 Fred
    April 10, 2011 at 11:40 pm

I wish you did not put a spotlight on this guy. You are basically playing right into his money grubbing hands! Just ignore him and let him wallow in the backwater swampland of journalism where he belongs.

He and Arrianna are no different. They will say whatever will earn them the most money and people who critisize the prez get more attention and therefore more money.

• April 10, 2011 at 11:49 pm

Hi Fred, sorry, but I won’t let up on highlighting Professional Left hypocrites – I know you prefer to ignore them, but that’s not the route I’m taking on this blog. Night, sleep well.

• 3 Shirley
        April 11, 2011 at 8:45 am

I agree Chips, No Offense Fred, but Readers need to know Exactly where People stand on Issues and things.

• 4 Fred
          April 11, 2011 at 11:20 am

My standard response to that is that if I want to read about people critisizing the Prez I will go HuffPuff or Dkos. I come here to get away from that.

• 5 Dorothy Rissman
        April 11, 2011 at 1:08 pm

The man is a freak out of control. He and rachel are now big buddies. I cannot stand to watch him, but if there are articles about him, I will scan them for important info. Like, what is the sucker up to this time?

If someone posts something I do not want to even think about, I just ignore that particular posting.

• July 21, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Yes THANK YOU for posting this. I didn’t know. Had no idea that so many of the really top leftwing critics of President Obama are so called x-repubs. That just crazy. But amazing when you realize that Arianna Huff&puff and Ed Schultz (who told everyone sto stay home in 2010) and this guy are all ex repubs. People don’t just change important views like that over night.

• 7 nathkatun7
      July 17, 2011 at 1:47 am

Fred, I respectfully disagree. I am convinced Chipsticks did the right thing to expose the history Cenk Uygur’s right wing ties. Cenk and Arianna Huffington were rabid right wingers. Now, all of a sudden, and out of no where, they are the leaders of the “holier than thou Progressives” who are constantly attacking President Obama, 24-7. They need to be exposed. Hopefully, their supporters will re-examine their blind support of them. They must not be allowed to fool people about their “purity” progressivism!

• July 21, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Thanks for posting this!! I did not know until today, long after this was posted that this POTUS hater along with Ed Schultz, and Arianna Huff&puff was also a “converted” republican. A pattern emerges…..

2. 9 majii
    April 11, 2011 at 12:09 am

Frack, Cenk. When I first heard that he had a regular program on MSNBC, I decided then and there that I’d never watch it, and I haven’t. I don’t consider him a part of the left. To me, he’s a self-serving wolf in sheep’s clothing. I don’t trust him, Ed, C. West, Velma, or any of the PL, frustrati, or firebaggers because they are too weak. They’re always ready to bail out at the first sign that an issue is going to be tough to deal with, and they have problems with accepting that everything is not black or white. I don’t like quitters, attack dogs, extremists, or whiners.

3. 11 bjw2
    April 11, 2011 at 12:50 am

So if he voted for Bush in 2004, which I’m assuming at the time he still held conservative right wing views, how do you go from there to a full fledged progressive, and now criticizing the most progressive president in history? One would think your next step would be a moderate Democrat or Independent, but Cenk like others seen in what directions the wind was blowing so they followed the money train. After the role of progressive stops raking in the dough I wonder what will be his next adventure.

People like Cenk, Arianna holds no allegiance to no one and nothing but the Benjamins.

WeeSeeYou Cenk!

4. 12 Fred
    April 11, 2011 at 2:32 am

Ever notice that he always waits till the forest is tinder dry and then starts running around lighting matches. He did it again on that website we all love to hate. He’s about 5 or 5 on that site now.

5. 15 anniebella
    April 11, 2011 at 4:16 am

I do not watch this guy, don’t ever plan too.

6. April 11, 2011 at 8:39 am

Never trusted Cenk and to be honest it was because so many people on the left loved him. My feelings for the left was beginning to sour at the time and thought anyone they loved so much would not be my cup of tea. I was right. I did watch a few clips of him and didn’t understand the excitement about him.

7. 17 Carolyn
    April 11, 2011 at 9:34 am

These professional lefties have a microscopic view of politics and life. They take on a special cause and expect the president to work endlessly for their cause alone…….he has a whole world to worry about. If they were “grownups” they would carry the water on their pet project, instead of expecting the president to accomodate them! The professional left needs to grow up and work for what they want like the far right does. The right, for all that I can’t stand them, does not expect one person to do all the work. Since the president’s inauguration, that is exactly what many on the “left” have done.

8. 18 Rita
    April 11, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Here’s The People’s View response to this charlatan: http://www.thepeoplesview.net/2011/04/obama-saves-major-democratic-values-and.html . Definitely worth reading and sharing around. We should all become familiar with the facts and be prepared to debate folks on the professional left (and right) who say that the President is selling out.

He and his kin cost us the house. And now he’s hell bent on costing us the Presidency? Maybe he’s a schill !!!

9. 20 Rita
    April 11, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Thanks for posting the link, Chip. I really feel that we have to make our voices more visible. Look what losing the house cost us. I hate to think what losing the presidency, at this critical moment in time, will mean. I have nightmares…

10. 21 Anonymous
    April 11, 2011 at 9:07 pm

egads but you nailed him Chipsticks. That was a mighty righteous rant and I agree 100%.

Of course I didn’t press play on the video, but I love you keeping us informed. Keep it up.

11. 22 LunarSea
    April 11, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Hey Chipsticks, if you have a weird post behind the scenes, it was me who posted a comment but forgot to add name et al. Realized it too late to stop it.

Just wanted to say I loved your rant. It was spot on. Off to read the rebuttal.

@POTUS