May

Rise and Shine

Coming up:

On Sunday, the president will travel to Oklahama to survey the damage from recent tornadoes there, and to visit affected families and first responders. After having breakfast with the families of fallen soldiers on Monday, the president will visit Arlington National Cemetery to lay a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknowns and give remarks.

New Republic

UT posted this Mediaite story the other day, ‘DOJ Document Reveals Fox News Reporter James Rosen Wanted To Impact U.S. Foreign Policy’ – some extracts again:

….. From the minute WaPo released its story, the press has been fluffing the details for maximum Scandalabra™ impact, comparing the Kim investigation with the DOJ’s seizure of the Associated Press’ phone records….

…. After outlining the kinds of secret information he hoped to get from “Leo,” Rosen summed up his intention to… report the news objectively? To serve the public?

“Let’s break some news, and expose muddle-headed policy when we see it – or force the administration’s hand to go in the right direction, if possible.”

Wait, what? Is that what a News reporter is supposed to do, force the administration’s hand to guide American foreign policy to the reporter’s whim? …. this email seems to indicate that James Rosen is not just a News reporter, but an activist intent on pushing his own agenda, with the stated goal of manipulating U.S. foreign policy.

…. The press should continue to shine a light on the Justice Department’s handling of reporters in leak investigations, but it should do so honestly, and stop claiming that James Rosen was just a reporter doing his job. Unless they see that job as steering America’s global foreign policy.

Full post here

But even after this revelation about what the Fox boy was up to, I see he’s still being portrayed as an innocent victim of the Big Brother Obama administration, even by usually smart writers. That’s the scandal here.

Read what SmartyPants had to say about this earlier in the week

Pic of the week?

President Obama congratulates Alexis Marisa Werner with open arms during the US Naval Academy commencement ceremony in Annapolis, May 24

Michael Tomasky: In Praise of Barbara Lee – With the global war on terror officially over, it’s worth recalling that she was probably the most prescient person in post-9/11 Washington …. Who’s Barbara Lee? She’s the Democratic congresswoman who represents Berkeley. On September 14, 2001, with the World Trade Center ruins still asmolder, the House of Representatives considered House Joint Resolution 64, the authorization of the use of military force against the terrorists involved in 9/11 plus their aiders and abettors. It passed 420 to one. Lee was that one.

….. For a spell, she needed around-the-clock bodyguards…. Lee’s short floor speech explaining her vote is on YouTube …. citing “my conscience, my moral compass, and my God,” she asserted that “some of us must say let’s step back for a minute … and think through the implications of our actions today so that this does not spiral out of control.”

…. It has not been worth the enormous costs; and the accomplishments, like the killing of bin Laden, could all have been achieved without the wars and bodies and trillions. It’s a shame that we won’t learn. But I will. I supported the Afghanistan war (but opposed the Iraq war). Well, next time, unless the circumstances are strikingly different, I’ll pitch my tent with Barbara Lee.

Full post here

It’s VP Biden on Jeopardy!

Two years ago: President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama at Winfield House in London, May 25, 2011:

MoooOOOooorning!

120 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. 1 africa
    May 25, 2013 at 10:00 am

Morning all.

2. 5 MightyPamela
    May 25, 2013 at 10:01 am

?

3. 6 Carol
    May 25, 2013 at 10:01 am

Good morning!

4. May 25, 2013 at 10:02 am

Great morning, everyone!

5. May 25, 2013 at 10:02 am

Good morning all! Congrats Africa and Mighty Pamela. Now I know why I couldn’t sign in.

6. May 25, 2013 at 10:03 am

Morning Africa & MP! ……….. /double take/ Mighty P? Well, lookee here! {{MP}} {{Africa}}

• 12 MightyPamela
      May 25, 2013 at 10:07 am

And to you VC… I am always up by now, usually quieter and more observant…. Opened email, Ching! I have just poured my first cup of green tea, guess it needs drinking now, for sure! It is delicious! Morning to our Chipsticks!

• 13 africa
      May 25, 2013 at 10:10 am

Hi VC. :) :)

7. May 25, 2013 at 10:05 am

Good Morning Chipsticks, TODers…Everyone!

8. May 25, 2013 at 10:06 am

I was trying to be first…old computer!

I started thinking about this: and I realized that one characteristic I appreciated most in Obama is his MATURITY. Playful, yes. But juvenile, never. Maybe it’s because being in Hawaii he got all of that out of his system back then. I remember the 70’s well, and it was a great time just to be playful if you were a kid or young adult.

Maybe it’s because he’s secure in himself- I remember reading in the Audacity to win that he doubted he would win because he wasn’t obsessively driven to run for President. He would be okay no matter what happened to him politically. He decided that he was just competitive enough and ran-and the rest is history. Obama had-and has nothing to prove to anyone unlike the other Presidents in my lifetime. He would have done well without the Presidency. Published author, distinguished lawyer, probably (lifetime) tenure in the Senate, maybe Governor at some point. In any event would have been the highest political figure in Black America. Michelle loved him for what he was anyway, and would have been content.

So he can take a secure, adult approach to a job that badly has needed one. He can step back and let others shine, he can keep an even keel because he knows he’s more than this job.

• 16 MightyPamela
      May 25, 2013 at 10:08 am

Wonderful perspective, carol, meaningful.

• 17 WilTal
        May 25, 2013 at 10:41 am

Happy Day to Everyone!

Carol, agree totally. This is the quality that sets him apart from the rest. I am so thankful that he decided to follow his heart and run anyway…especially when others told him it wasn’t the right time. Although, as you said, it wouldn’t have mattered if he won or not, he felt it was the right time. HOW VERY FORTUNATE WE ARE TO HAVE HIM AS OUR LEADER!

• May 25, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Wonderfully said our mightlypamela…..listening to his speech about ending the “war on terror” and telling the American people it is time to stop being afraid was the speech I had been waiting for. The reason so many voted and worked hard for this President was because we all wanted an adult leader and we wanted to stop being afraid at every turn of our lives. We still have a lot of work to do in getting PBO a house and senate that will usher in his agenda no matter what it takes.

• May 25, 2013 at 11:16 am

Agree with you, Carol.

It’s a sign of maturity to dismiss pettiness, which is all the GOP and MSM seem to have in their quivers these days.

But it’s also his genuineness, that he is unwavering in sense of fairness (against all the immaturity and grandstanding taking place around him) that makes his supporters so grateful he is the helm.

PBO’s deep strategic thinking, putting all the global and domestic pieces into place with a geniune concern for everyone is what makes him unique and historic.

9. 20 africa
    May 25, 2013 at 10:06 am

Regarding that Rosen fellow, that MSM can’t see what he was trying to do, again solidifies my thought about the media. Most are dishonest. I don’t trust them. They are agenda-driven. Most seek to make themselves the news, then look to write book to line their own coffers. I don’t give a whit for 90 percent of people in the MSM.

Some, to my mind, deliberately want to do to PBO, exactly what GOP wants — to derail him. I feel very strongly about this. After this week, they really thought they had PBO in a box. Little have they learned about him. So little.

• May 25, 2013 at 10:20 am

Those characteristics I mentioned before is why he’s able to outfox Fox. He’s not going to give them the kind of mistakes that come out of insecurity. He’s not sleeping around, he’s not hungry for money, he’s not obsessed with enemies. He can roll with the punches. No Monica (we would have found her already in the age of texts and Facebook). He already has a source of income with his books, and will have much more when he leaves-no sticky fingers. Having faced real danger in Chicago as a community organizer,. Boehner et all doesn’t faze him into fits of public rage (he may express private annoyance).

10. 23 sonjiaduncan
    May 25, 2013 at 10:08 am

Good Morning TOD! Congrats Africa and Chips the Sun is out have a safe Memorial Day.

May 25, 2013 at 10:10 am

I. AM. GOING. CRAZY. with the extreme slowness of my computer! Serves me right for trying to clean it up last night. I don’t doubt that the three FREE (?????) different clean-up programmes I tried to install are at the root of my problems. I feel sure they are trying to hold me hostage because they won’t go away when I tell them I don’t want to register! I’ll try to stick with it a bit longer, but they are driving me craaaazy (patience is not a virtue I lay claim to).

Oh, (Good) Morning TOD village! The sun is actually shining where I am, but I still have the heater on from yesterday.
    Ms Chips, thank you for Rise & Shine which I am about to go appreciate fully – if the computer will let me before tomorrow!

• May 25, 2013 at 10:15 am

Hopefully the TOD techies will be joining in soon and you will get what you need to get your computer up to speed. :-)

• 28 utaustinliberal
      May 25, 2013 at 10:18 am

Go back to the last thread. You were given plenty of advice.

• May 25, 2013 at 10:24 am

Moooooooorning VC! Crikey, I’ve been having similar problems since yesterday, especially on TOD – as slow as a wet week! Going back to previous thread to check techy genius advice!

• 30 MightyPamela
      May 25, 2013 at 10:38 am

I’m no techie, and have nada problems since switching all to Apple, but two thoughts come to mind. One is very simplistic (forgive me): have you completely shut down and then done a re-boot? And, you can always go in and do a system restore, choose a point from before you made these ‘upgrades’, and reset the entire system to an earlier date. I have had similar issues in the past, mostly with client pc’s. But the real masters will be able to help you, I’m sure. Hang in there, dear VC, and Chips, too! Bye for now….. Hugs all around. {{{{{tod}}}}}

12. May 25, 2013 at 10:11 am

Good morning everyone! Congrats Africa.

13. May 25, 2013 at 10:15 am

Interesting discussion on ‘UP’ this morning about the history of GOPobstruction on all Democratic presidents.

May 25, 2013 at 10:15 am

Great highlighting again Chips, of the Mediaite article by Tommy Christopher. I am disgusted at so called Liberals who are defending Rosen and the govt. leaker. Rosen didn’t do this out of the goodness of his heart. There was no corruption he was seeking to expose. No, his article and the govt. leaker put peoples lives in dangers. This wasn’t a whistleblower case. This was two vile individuals leaking national security information during a very crucial and tense moment with North Korea (who could have easily attacked South Korea in retaliation). Peoples lives are not a joke or fodder for journalists to print on Page 1.

Rosen wasn’t charged so clearly, Pres. Obama isn’t criminalizing journalism.

It’s going to come as a rude shock to the press when they find out that the public is on the side of Pres. Obama and the DOJ prosecuting any and all leakers who put the American peoples lives in danger.

Newsflash to the media: You are NOT above the law.

• May 25, 2013 at 10:22 am

Morning UT! I know nothing should surprise me anymore, but it’s just astonishing that this Rosen guy is still being hailed as a victim by even usually sensible media people after the Mediaite story – which didn’t get a 100th of the attention it should have. As Christopher said, “the press should stop claiming that Rosen was just a reporter doing his job. Unless they see that job as steering America’s global foreign policy”.

And SmartyPants had a post linking Rosen’s buddy Kim to Rumsfeld and other neo-Cons – that’s the scandal here, but even the ‘liberal’ writers are ignoring it.

Give me strength!

• 36 globalcitizenlinda
      May 25, 2013 at 10:47 am

the nature of rosen’s leak and the reason WHY he said he leaked the information needs to be emphasized in our communication with others who many not have been following the case as some of us are.

since the media won’t report the real facts, ordinary people have to pick up the slack and inform the public

• May 25, 2013 at 11:35 am

Neocons have wanted a war with Iran-Obama won’t give them one. They hated the fact that Obama wouldn’t intervene and save Mubarak and and the other dictators overthrown in the Arab Spring from their people. They hated Obama going to Cairo and doing outreach to the Egyptians. Obama is leaving Afghanistan and has left Iraq. He won’t give them their war, and he won’t make mistakes that justify their support of the worst President of the last century by getting into another hopeless Mideast War.

15. 38 prettyfoot58
    May 25, 2013 at 10:15 am

Gooooooooood Morning…MsChipsssssss…TODvilleeeee….

cool ..crisp .morning here in Philly….sipping my coffee….

I loved the previous thread…..Music of the President…will book mark that thread….

gonna venture to watch some of the shows today…but will keep my mute button handy….

16. 39 a4alice
    May 25, 2013 at 10:19 am

Mornin’ folks! Tried catching up on the last few posts and read LL’s stirring post on the end of the War of Terror

17. 40 globalcitizenlinda
    May 25, 2013 at 10:26 am

morning everyone.

wondering if some who were very loud in supporting rand paul’s rant against drones can now admit that indeed PBO made sure his team had some level of oversight – taken care of by informing congress about each drone use

18. May 25, 2013 at 10:32 am

Thanks Chipsticks for a great R&S!! Tomasky’s piece is terrific and long overdue. If not for Barack Obama this country would be soooo lost. I tweeted the video the other day that someone had produced last Fall “Romney’s First 100 Days”. OMG horrors.

But being that it is Memorial Day weekend discussing the the subject of the Bush wars, the tragedy will live on here in the US for a long long time. I saw the 60 Minutes story and still find it mind boggling that there are 22 veteran suicides a day; almost 1 an hour. I get so pissed off at the media not talking about these scandals and making sure that the government has enough money to help these men and women when they come home. I know the VA is severely backed up in processing claims; probably due to sequester cuts and just an all around shortage of money.

• 42 Lovepolitics2008
      May 25, 2013 at 10:47 am

The VA has seen a big increase in its workload. People coming back in droves from Iraq and Afghanistan. Morover, if I’m not mistaken, the administration isn’t as restrictive as previous ones re PTSD, brain injuries, even Agent Orange ( Vietnam). So there are much more demands to process.

Of course, critics are going to point out the ‘inefficiency’ of the administration. And as usual, they don’t tell the real story.

• May 25, 2013 at 10:54 am

Exactly. I was wondering if there is any way that the VA can do a huge broadcast drive for volunteers? I can imagine that they would get thousands of respondents who would love to help for free. I would. I’m guessing that there must be government restrictions on this or that their isn’t enough staff to train volunteers.

• 44 prettyfoot58
        May 25, 2013 at 12:58 pm

and then there is the sequester…I wonder how that is impacting on things

19. 45 JER
    May 25, 2013 at 10:35 am

LIVE NOW: West Point Commencement. Sec’y of Defense Hagel is speaking. http://www.cbsnews.com/liveFeed/widget.shtml

20. 47 Don
    May 25, 2013 at 10:36 am

These people on MHP’s show act as if President Obama can just release the prisoners at Gitmo with a magic wand. I’m so disappointed in MHP; she knows goddamn well the obstruction he faces.

21. 49 a4alice
    May 25, 2013 at 10:37 am

Hey there Chips! What a great R/S – Very interesting article on how the Apocalypse won’t be happening in California. :D And the Barbara Lee article was great – it reminded me of our late Senator Wellstone. thanks!

22. 51 Don
    May 25, 2013 at 10:42 am

I’ve got a letter for you MHP, stop being one of those assholes that constantly bash President Obama, you’re better than that.

• May 25, 2013 at 10:47 am

I’m not sure she is. She seems quite dense actually. I heard that there is a medical term for those afflicted with constant adoration of their diplomas and degrees. :)

• 53 Don
        May 25, 2013 at 11:17 am

She’s very intelligent, highly intelligent, but Malcolm X speaks in his autobiography about scholars especially in the black community of being blinded and weighted down with degrees. Common sense and intelligence are two very different things.

• 54 WilTal
      May 25, 2013 at 11:01 am

Don,

MHP is a PITA. It’s amazing that when these pundits get a show, immediately they flip the switch and, how soon they forget who their viewers are. First she started out underhandedly bashing the President, but now it’s all out.

23. May 25, 2013 at 10:47 am

Ooooh, I just did a reset on Firefox and everything *seems* to be faster …. we’ll see how long it lasts.

Only problem: my toolbars are all in a different order, which is tragic.

For anyone who wants to try – click help, then troubleshooting information, you’ll find the reset button in there.

• 56 99ts
      May 25, 2013 at 10:51 am

My firefox is still very slow – given that no-one else seemed to think it was TOD – I’m wondering if its V21 – cause I only upgraded to that a few days ago & this has been the time that TOD is taking forever to load.

• May 25, 2013 at 10:58 am

Did you try that reset 99ts? So far so good, everything is waaaaay faster, but the test will come when I have a few more windows open and I’m on photo/video heavy sites … like, eh, TOD.

• 58 99ts
          May 25, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Resetting anything bothers me – I hate that I might lose cookies – that always means I have to reset all my passwords – cause I have to log in places – and can never remember passwords. Used the same one everywhere until someone cracked a hotmail I had – so had to change everything – fast! So – I am wary of resets – but just cleared cache & a few other things – so hoping hoping :)

24. May 25, 2013 at 10:49 am

On Global Peace.

I think we have to think ahead on the issue of “ending the global war on terror”.

Yesterday, President Obama, in his address to the class of 2013 of the Naval Academy, almost as an afterthought, mentioned that the US Navy is more powerful than the navies of the *next 12 countries combined*.

My generation has always scolded the USA as “playing Texas Ranger to the world” (The begatting of the President); but it might become reality – having a global policeman making the seas safe for business (and in addition – overland roads and airways).

The Pax Romana enabled a prosperous Europe, when it functioned.

Perhaps a Pax Americana can make the globe safe from privateers and extremists.

At the 2008 Democratic Convention, Bill Clinton said: We should lead by the power of our example, not by the example of our power.

Yet, perhaps leading by using your example of power can bring enough peace to let children go to schools, etc …

• 60 prettyfoot58
      May 25, 2013 at 1:37 pm

I agree that we should think about what kind of world to we wish for our children…there may no be such a think as global peace…but there can be harmony and respect…the world has known conflict and there will continue to be conflict…but it is how we handle it that is telling…

I listened to the discussion on MHP about the multi-national corps and how they use all of us in all the countries to make more and more money without care for its cost…(Apple..Walmart…GAP)…

the President often talks about the role of citizenship…we are citizens not only of the USA but of the world…

25. 61 Proud Former White House Intern
    May 25, 2013 at 10:51 am

Good Morning Everyone. I look how Potus never misses an opportunity to thank our service men and woman. Everyone have great day.

26. 62 japa21
    May 25, 2013 at 10:52 am

GM TODville on a wonderful holiday weekend. Mrs. Japa has plenty of items on the honeydew list so I shall only be able to pop in and out on a very occsional basis this weekend.

Great R&S as usual, Chips.

27. 68 99ts
    May 25, 2013 at 10:54 am

Speaking of WP as we were – the little orange gizmo that says you have a reply to a post – mine keeps glowing orange, whenever I refresh a thread – despite I have read all the replies – anyone else have the same?

May 25, 2013 at 11:02 am

ATTENTION: TBS will be showing the movie “My Big Fat Greek Wedding” today at 11:30AM ET/ 10:30AM CT. This is me right now.

29. May 25, 2013 at 11:05 am

Good morning, TOD-ville, a good holiday weekend to all.

We won’t forget the reason why we honor this sacred day (Memorial Day) as a holiday, but for a chuckle, check out this Obama administration job listing:

“The Chief Information Officer for the Department of Health and Human Services is looking for a Jedi Master to fill the position of Innovation Director for the Office of the Chief Information Officer.”

30. May 25, 2013 at 11:18 am

Happiness is …. hearing from Joan Shaw!

As you all know, Joan broke her hip very badly a few months ago, so she hasn’t been able to visit here too often during her recovery.

But just heard from her again, she was having trouble logging in, hopefully she’ll post later today.

Miss you Joan!

May 25, 2013 at 11:28 am

Morning everyone. I seem to be in some sort of stupor. Trying to settle myself to the fact that, aside from tutoring over the summer….I am officially on summer vacation! Hasn’t really hit me yet….well…that’s a lie. It sort of hit me this morning when I had to delete the 800+ emails that I could never get to because of being so busy at work! Most of them crap…..including the 5 exact same emails I received from Jeff Flake in response to his background check vote….omg.

Daughter and I going to “summerize” ourselves with pedicures today:) Poor person that gets a load of what passes for feet on me! Be chiseling these babies for a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time!

32. May 25, 2013 at 11:34 am

Morning all you O’s!!!! What a great getting up day in the TOD neighborhood again. It’s warming up in my neck of the woods….only 10 degrees below normal. I guess 40’s overnight, and 50-60 degrees during the day isn’t so bad…..for OCTOBER!!!!!

So off I go in sweats and outer wear at the end of MAY, to do more yard work!!! This is so not fair to a hot weather lovin’, summer born babe.

33. May 25, 2013 at 11:36 am

Good Morning fellow TOD’ers.

34. 92 Jovie
    May 25, 2013 at 11:42 am

The media sticks up for each other. For example- when obama administration came out swinging against Foxx in 09, man bc backed up Foxx. It was shocking, as they both hit the president hard.
    When DOJ goes after AP, regardless of circumstances, they all come together and dismiss facts.
    It’s a sight to see , they think they are more important as individuals, then we think they are.

May 25, 2013 at 12:11 pm

The media only stick up for each other when a Democrat is on the receiving end of MSM malfeasance. Take for example the swift firing of Dan Rather (CBS), and Phil Donohue (NBC) back when GWB was President. And don’t forget the swift firing of Keith Olbermann when they found out he had donated to Dems’ campaigns. In none of these cases did the media stick up for the individuals who were fired. Why? Because in all of the cases, either a Republican was being criticized or a Dem was benefiting. The media is pro-Republican, was back then, and is now.

• 94 Nena20409
        May 25, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Yep…..remember how they all supported Judith Miller? Miller was used by GW Bush willingly to spread false information and deniability at the same time. Today, Miller is heavily compensated by Fox.

Good Afternoon TODers and GA HF2.

35. 95 Jovie
    May 25, 2013 at 11:44 am

36. 96 Jovie
    May 25, 2013 at 11:45 am

You know somebody let them know!!

37. 97 Jovie
    May 25, 2013 at 11:47 am

Isn’t that pretty?

• May 25, 2013 at 11:51 am

Woah, kind of freaky and kind of magnificent, all at the same time!

• May 25, 2013 at 11:55 am

Glacier National Park is just amazing.

Was there one August (quite hot, I think the temperature was nearly 90F) and the the wildflowers were spectacular.

The most striking thing to me was that most of the infrastructure (i.e., paved roads, bridges) were build tin the 1930s during the height of the Conservation Corps.

Sadly, the Dept. of Interior hasn’t seen such infrastructure support since, and it’s been nearly 80 years that this infrastructure has had to endure with little new support since.

38. 101 Arnie
    May 25, 2013 at 11:48 am

Good morning everyone! Happy Memorial Day weekend? Any plans? I’m just going to stay home and work through my Netflix backlog.

39. 102 Jovie
    May 25, 2013 at 11:50 am

Good use of printing, instead of an M-60

40. 104 cluny
    May 25, 2013 at 11:53 am

GM all. PBO’s former bus driver from the ’08 campaign.

May 25, 2013 at 12:02 pm

I can quote every line from My Big Fat Greek Wedding. EVERY. LINE.

I’m not weird. I’m not weird at all. I’m just freaking awesome.

42. 115 Jovie
    May 25, 2013 at 12:08 pm

May 25, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Again. Hope these people will be ok. ARE YOU LISTENING GOP? WE NEED INFRASTRUCTURE SPENDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Missouri rail crash brings down US road bridge

Dozens injured in US train crash
    Two goods trains have collided in the US state of Missouri, bringing down a road bridge and leaving seven people injured.

44. May 25, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Happy Memorial weekend to everyone ~ sunny & cool here today, perfect weather for clearing some of the jungle I call yard :)