Jul

Kids State Dinner!

2013-07-09T182705Z_2037577540_GM1E97A06QF01_RTRMADP_3_OBAMA-MICHELLE

Darlene Superville: Michelle Obama says 54 kids who earned a trip to the White House by winning a nationwide recipe contest are showing how talented, creative and brilliant young people can be. It’s the second year the first lady has hosted the kids’ “state dinner.”

The contest for 8- to 12-year-olds is sponsored by the Epicurious food website and the departments of Agriculture and Education. It drew a batch of more than 1,300 entries that were whittled to 54 winners — one from each of the 50 states, three territories and the District of Columbia.

Mrs. Obama singled out a few of the champion culinary creations during Tuesday’s meal, including Confetti Peanut Ginger Party Pasta from Missouri, Pan-seared Mississippi Catfish on a Bed of River Rice and Slam Dunk Veggie Burger from Texas.

President Barack Obama also made an unannounced appearance at the dinner in the White House East Room. He told the junior chefs they are showing that food can be both healthy and fun.

Michelle+Obama+Second+Annual+Kids+State+Dinner+WF0x6Tz6Ve2x

*****

*****

More video here and here

*****

Barack+Obama+Second+Annual+Kids+State+Dinner+92yJAkonhvQx

President Barack Obama smiles with Makenna Hurd of Mascot, Tennessee, and Noah Koch of Waterville, Maine, during the second annual ‘Kids’ State Dinner’, in the East Room of the White House July 9, 2013 in Washington DC.

2013-07-09T180259Z_1980192665_GM1E97A05LP01_RTRMADP_3_OBAMA

President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama kiss each other at the second annual “Kids’ State Dinner”, to honor the winners of a nationwide recipe challenge to promote healthy lunches, at the White House.

2013-07-09T183915Z_1113702121_GM1E97A07AA01_RTRMADP_3_OBAMA-MICHELLE

2013-07-09T185008Z_815617536_GM1E97A07RP01_RTRMADP_3_USA

First Lady Michelle Obama joins in a wave during the Kids’ State Dinner

2013-07-09T183119Z_1542421027_GM1E97A06UQ01_RTRMADP_3_OBAMA-MICHELLE

Eun Kyung Kim: The White House hosted a “state dinner” on Tuesday for 54 junior chefs whose culinary creations earned them a spot as a guest of honor at the executive mansion. First lady Michelle Obama hosted the gathering, which was actually a luncheon featuring winning dishes submitted for the Healthy Lunchtime Challenge.

More than 1,300 entries were submitted in the contest. Winning creations included salmon fried rice, from 10-year-old Audrey Russell of Oregon, and hidden veggie lasagna from Owen Kerkvliet. The 9-year-old from South Dakota said he and his mom came up with the dish based on his aversion to vegetables he can see on his plate.

All of the items will be featured in a cookbook released by Epicurious.com, whose editor in chief, Tanya Steel, came up with the idea for the challenge and pitched it to the White House.

More here

6C8203066-tdy-130709-kids-state-4.blocks_desktop_medium

makenna

Pres. Obama gets a hug from Makenna Hurd, age 9, from Mascot, Tennessee.

2013-07-09T183651Z_640398287_GM1E97A074J01_RTRMADP_3_OBAMA-MICHELLE

WLBR: A Knox Couny student with a penchant for baking used her talents to get a ticket to the White House and a special hug from President Obama! Tuesday was the second annual Kids’ State Dinner at the White House.  This year, the First Lady invited 54 winners of the Healthy Lunchtime Challenge, along with their parent or guardian to the East Room for a special meal, music, remarks from the First Lady, and a surprise visit from the Commander in Chief!

Among those kids Makenna Anne Hurd, a second grader at East Knox Elementary School.  She won for her all-bran muffin recipe called “Makenna’s Bodacious Banana Muffins.”

More here plus video of Pres. Obama with Makenna.

LOCAL GIRL AT WHITE HOUSE

2013-07-09T182844Z_1106192841_GM1E97A06S501_RTRMADP_3_OBAMA-MICHELLE

Barack+Obama+Second+Annual+Kids+State+Dinner+qxCpv0h3_LBx

Barack+Obama+Second+Annual+Kids+State+Dinner+Zev9v-ohhAFx

2013-07-09T184521Z_685884712_GM1E97A07I202_RTRMADP_3_OBAMA-MICHELLE

President Barack Obama greets Taddy Pettit, 10, from Oakwood, Illinois at the second annual Kids’ State Dinner

2013-07-09T180707Z_124622569_GM1E97A05T501_RTRMADP_3_OBAMA-MICHELLE

Barack+Obama+Second+Annual+Kids+State+Dinner+jpE0-wXIRsBx

President Barack Obama gives a thumbs-up to Noah Koch of Waterville, Maine, during the second annual Kids State Dinner

Barack+Obama+Second+Annual+Kids+State+Dinner+tAJg4zRqA58x

President Barack Obama delivers remarks beside First Lady Michelle Obama during the second annual Kids State Dinner in the East Room of the White House

2013-07-09T183803Z_335363697_GM1E97A078701_RTRMADP_3_OBAMA-MICHELLE

Barack+Obama+Second+Annual+Kids+State+Dinner+VUPuQiHANzax

125 Responses to “Kids State Dinner!”

1. 1 Nena20409
    July 9, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Hello TODers ;)

2. 6 vitaminlover
    July 9, 2013 at 3:55 pm

I love how they love each other!

3. 9 Dudette
    July 9, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Awww! That’s lovely!

July 9, 2013 at 4:01 pm

The crazy has begun and ground zero is this. :lol:

• 11 Nena20409
      July 9, 2013 at 4:07 pm

Ron Paul is a staple of Fox and RW Radio stations……I have no doubt those kind of broadcasting are his favorites and his preferences.

5. 12 57andfemale
    July 9, 2013 at 4:08 pm

God, no one can wear yellow like our FLOTUS.

6. 13 Roberta in MN
    July 9, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Congrats Neena on 1st. I was just looking for Carney’s presser. Was it good? I am going to look at this first tho. Thanks UT for this round up on the Kids State Dinner. Love this First Family.

• 14 Nena20409
      July 9, 2013 at 4:18 pm

I had not listened to it yet. I am still a bit more tied up…..today and would listen to it much later.

July 9, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Bravo!

8. 22 vitaminlover
    July 9, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Looks like First Lady Michelle is growing out her bangs.

• 23 57andfemale
      July 9, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Don’t flame me, but as interesting as the bangs were, I think she’s prettier without them.

• 24 vitaminlover
        July 9, 2013 at 4:29 pm

No flame here, she’s pretty either way. Don’t we love her?

• 25 57andfemale
          July 9, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Well, I don’t want to incur the wrath of the bangs-lovers but sometimes you have to step up and be brave.

She’s gorgeous no matter what, our wonderful FLOTUS. LOVE her!

July 9, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Sam Kass was talking to one kid and he ask the kid what was it like to meet the First Lady? And what did he say to her? The kid said he told her that his teacher said that she was the best First Lady ever.

• 27 arkluvspbo
        July 9, 2013 at 5:27 pm

I like them side parted like this. It still gives her a youthful look, but just not as severe. I liked her with the bangs too, but I agree with you 57andfemale, she’s prettier without.

• 31 MightyPamela
      July 9, 2013 at 4:46 pm

New York women will be welcoming her I’m sure! Yes!

• 32 jackiegrumbacher
      July 9, 2013 at 5:17 pm

This women was brilliant, df. I wish she could be replicated 10 million times and and her voice amplified everywhere. This is truth talking.

9. 33 57andfemale
    July 9, 2013 at 4:15 pm

The tweets in my TL on PBO’s favorite food being broccoli are hilarious.

July 9, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Jeff Gauvin ‏@JeffersonObama 3m
    The US stock market has done better since early 2009 than any of the next nine largest economies in the world. Only India came close.

Jeff Gauvin ‏@JeffersonObama 4m
    More than 52 months after Obama took office, the S&P 500 was up 106% during his term in office, for a compound annual gain of 18%. #Economy

July 9, 2013 at 4:26 pm

I’ve added more articles and pictures so scroll up and enjoy! :D

12. July 9, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Our local news just covered the story–again–of the little girl from here in Knoxville who was at the Kids State Dinner. Check out this picture of her getting a hug from our wonderful President. Turns out the little girl has Downs. Her father said she loves to bake and her dream is to own her own bakery someday.

• 38 Layla
      July 9, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Oh my Lala!!!! just angelical!

• 39 57andfemale
      July 9, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Awwww!!!!!!!

• July 9, 2013 at 4:38 pm

In the story, be sure to click on the link for her recipe. There’s another picture of her and a little more about her story. I’m definitely going to make these muffins.

• 41 57andfemale
          July 9, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Thanks!

• 42 utaustinliberal
          July 9, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Thanks so much for the link. I already had a picture of Makenna but thanks to the link, I included the article and more pictures. Congrats to her. It was a delightful story.

• 43 dotster3
      July 9, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Very nice! Great story! I was almost afraid to click on comments and was happy to see they were all Congrats type messages.

• 44 jackiegrumbacher
      July 9, 2013 at 5:19 pm

Beautiful! What an awesome achievement for a child with Downs. Her parents must be so proud of her.

• 45 arapaho415
      July 9, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Loved the story, tnmtngirl, so I tweeted it, to help others spread the word.

Love Makenna’s spirit and determination.

13. 46 vitaminlover
    July 9, 2013 at 4:32 pm

I must say just looking at how fit Michelle Obama is has inspired me to do more fruit and vegetable blending and drinkin’ it on down!

• 47 57andfemale
      July 9, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Something clicked with me a few months ago and I’m eating a lot more fruits and veggies. Yogurt for my stomach. Seeds, beans. I saw a doctor on PBS who said, “eat at least these things every day and I don’t care what you eat the rest of the day.” Lo and behold, a piece of chicken or fish in addition to the good stuff, and I’m satisfied. And if I want something ‘naughty’, I have it and then go back to the good stuff.

I cannot tell you how much better I feel. I felt sick all the time, chalked it up to old age at 63. My stomach has cleared up, my mind is functioning better and I no longer feel sick. Because I’m putting the right food in my body. I’m losing weight ever so slowly, but at my age it’s more about my health than my vanity.

Exercising regularly is next. Pain issues make it difficult to find what works for me, but I’m making progress.

• 48 Layla
      July 9, 2013 at 4:41 pm

‘Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways – Chardonnay in one hand – chocolate in the other – body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ‘WOO HOO, What a Ride’

• 49 Roberta in MN
        July 9, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Glad to see you back Layla. How are you doing? Bless you and your friends & their families.

• 50 Layla
          July 9, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Hey Roberta, ty, I am ok, getting some of my sense of humor back, guess that is a good sign..

• 51 arkluvspbo
            July 9, 2013 at 5:36 pm

HI Layla, I’m just a TODlurker…but I pop up every so often. Just wanted to say how sorry I am for your loss, and wishing you, and your loved ones all the best.
            Having a sense of humor is so important during times like this, because it reminds us that we, ourselves, are still here. Keep smiling. :)

• July 9, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Again Layla, so sorry about your three friends who died and their loved ones, what a horrible tragedy.

July 9, 2013 at 6:35 pm

I’m doing my best to include more fruits and vegetables in my diet. I’m not a success all the time, but I’m getting better than I was. Thanks FLOTUS.

July 9, 2013 at 4:38 pm

15. July 9, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Listening to the House debates. The Republicans are despicable. They want to strip all water and energy funding in an effort to stop President Obama’s energy program. They are willing to sabotage the entire nation, just to defeat one man.

16. 58 57andfemale
    July 9, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Just an example of some of the hilarious tweets about PBO and broccoli:

17. July 9, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Bottom of the barrel ……Case study Eric Cantor…..has to pay to get his message out!

18. July 9, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Just like President Obama’s grandma Toot

19. July 9, 2013 at 4:47 pm

20. 65 yardarm756
    July 9, 2013 at 4:50 pm

IMHO The First Lady acts less than a Queen, than any other First Lady than I can remember. In my memory most of the previous ones tended to act like they were some sort of royalty treating it’s citizens like subjects.

• 66 Layla
      July 9, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Anal retention would have given them that certain look….

• 68 57andfemale
      July 9, 2013 at 5:14 pm

I remember a local news story during the DNC convention in 2008. The Dem’s were going to put together baskets of stuff and food for the military. The social director (for lack of a better term) was going to go get Michelle around 10:00 a.m. for what she thought would no more than a photo op, to find Michelle downstairs, filling baskets at 6:30 a.m., urging everyone to get the hell to work.

She has never lost her authenticity. She is a treasure.

• 70 arapaho415
      July 9, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Not just IMHO (for you).

Absolutely LOVED the video of FLOTUS double-dutch jump roping.

Have never seen anyone look so graceful and elegant while jumping rope!

• 73 nathkatun7
      July 10, 2013 at 1:47 am

I agree with you 100%. And I have been around for sometime.

21. July 9, 2013 at 4:51 pm

2013……..but we don’t need the Voting rights act. So sad…..

22. 78 57andfemale
    July 9, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Son of a bitch, I’m pissed: IL legislative over-rode Quinn’s amendatory veto of the concealed carry law that he made saner and safer.

Charlie Pierce this morning on Stephanie Miller made an important point: we cannot assume that anything is safe. No law, no right. We have to stay constantly vigilant. I cannot believe the things I’m fighting for now – I fought for these things 40+ years ago.

• July 9, 2013 at 5:04 pm

No on one could have made believe that would happen. Illinois politics can be a little crooked, but it’s always been sane. Chicago is home, 57, so I’m pissed right with you.

• 82 Layla
      July 9, 2013 at 5:10 pm

The law as approved by the Legislature permits anyone with a Firearm Owner’s Identification card who has passed a background check and undergone gun-safety training of 16 hours – longest of any state – to obtain a concealed-carry permit for $150.
      The Illinois State Police would have six months to set up a system to start accepting applications. Spokeswoman Monique Bond said police expect 300,000 applications in the first year.

• 83 57andfemale
        July 9, 2013 at 5:19 pm

Quinn added some sane measures (you’re allowed to amend a veto, and then put it up for a vote in IL) forbid guns in establishments that serve alcohol. Limit gun owners to carrying one weapon and restore local governments’ ability to ban assault weapons. And no more than 10 rounds of ammunition.

There was a court-mandated deadline of July 9 that IL had to have a concealed carry law. What the eff is happening in this country? Guns everywhere, virtually by court mandate, but a woman has to prove to the likes of Rick Perry that she has a right to an abortion or health services for women.

• 84 dotster3
          July 9, 2013 at 5:26 pm

It’s insanity. Sickens me. This is how our country responds to the Sandy Hook tragedy and all the increasing daily gun violence everywhere? WTF is wrong with people? This country is nuts. Unique in the world with the proliferation of gun nuts. Sick.

• 85 57andfemale
            July 9, 2013 at 5:30 pm

I couldn’t remember all of Quinn’s amendatory conditions so I did a search. I swear, it was a google page-ful of RW b.s. from all over the state. It was disgusting. And terrifying.

Used to be that law enforcement was at the forefront of these fights, but God forbid they should work with the black President. We are losing the war on the streets, because of so many guns and so little law to get them off the streets.

And thanks, Bush, for lowering the threshold for cannon fodder and allowing gang members in the military to fight your unnecessary wars. They came back armed to the teeth and with connections on how to get more. I’m pissed.

23. 86 57andfemale
    July 9, 2013 at 5:06 pm

24. 87 57andfemale
    July 9, 2013 at 5:08 pm

• 88 Bill
      July 9, 2013 at 5:24 pm

Rand Paul has as much exposure as any Republican and people listen to him, but I cannot envision under any circumstances his being elected POTUS. He lies, has no real understanding of the issues, and seems to believe the libertarian rubbish. He even praised Snowden at one point. A mainline Republican could never accept his views on foreign policy and national defense. But I have no clue who will be their 2016 candidate.

• 89 57andfemale
        July 9, 2013 at 5:28 pm

I’m past being surprised by anything. Unfortunately.

I think it’s Christie. But things change awfully fast.

• 90 Bill
          July 9, 2013 at 5:49 pm

As low as the favorability ratings of the House and Senate are one would expect their nominee to be a governor.

• 91 arapaho415
          July 9, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Agree with you, 57.

Could not wrap my head around the fact that Americans actually VOTED for R-money last year.

Aside from his abhorent personal behavior (Seamus, taunting his kids, draft dodging, etc.) that displayed a lack of empathy (he seemed to be the complete opposite of his principled father) his gaffes and Romnoid behavior with foreign countries would make anyone shudder.

• 92 Layla
        July 9, 2013 at 5:48 pm

A little funny about Rand’s hair..

25. July 9, 2013 at 5:08 pm

26. 94 57andfemale
    July 9, 2013 at 5:10 pm

27. July 9, 2013 at 5:14 pm

28. 99 57andfemale
    July 9, 2013 at 5:26 pm

One to add to my list of ‘male requirements':

July 9, 2013 at 5:31 pm

The fact that men (and I use that term loosely) are able to not have any responsibility in a resulted pregnancy has ALWAYS pissed me off. Funny, because last time I checked, women couldn’t get pregnant by themselves!!

July 9, 2013 at 5:53 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/09/sequestration-head-start_n_3562607.html Remember this when they tell you they’re “pro life”….

30. 106 Jovie
    July 9, 2013 at 5:58 pm

31. July 9, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Thanks UT for all these beautiful pics and mementos of the 2nd annual WH Kids’ State Dinner. :) In the pic right below the one where PBO & FLOTUS are about to kiss, you will see a very, very proud papa watching as his son is about to snap a photo of PBO! :) :) I can just imagine what’s going through the boy and his Dad’s minds!

32. 112 Jovie
    July 9, 2013 at 6:22 pm

Here’s why Harry won’t go nucLear, they say if they get in charge they will ram yucca mountain approval-

When Harry Reid threatened to go nuclear this is what Republicans threatened to do in retaliation:

“Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.), a former member of the GOP leadership close to Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), has assembled an agenda Republicans would pursue with the nuclear option if they retake control of the upper chamber.

It includes repealing the 2010 Affordable Care Act, converting all federal education spending into school vouchers and scholarships to middle-income and low-income children, opening up the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to oil and gas drilling and repealing the estate tax.

“Sen. Reid is an able and experienced leader. He knows that if Democrats figure out a way to do anything they want with 51 votes, Republicans can figure that out too. And if we’re in charge, we’ll do it.

They are focusing their threat squarely on Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) by warning the nuclear option could be used to ram through legislation to resume construction of the Yucca Mountain nuclear waste repository in Nevada, a project he opposes.

You see? He’s allowing them to blackmail him. Time to get a new majority leader he has been compromised!

33. 116 Claire
    July 9, 2013 at 6:29 pm

I apologize if this has been previously posted. I’ve had such a busy day I haven’t had time to read any comments.

Edward Snowden Stars In North Korean Propaganda Video

34. 117 arapaho415
    July 9, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Whoa.. if true…

• 118 Nena20409
      July 9, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Oh No…..I hope that Terrorism has nothing to do with it……So Sorry for all those missing and heartbroken for all who passed away.

35. 119 Nena20409
    July 9, 2013 at 6:34 pm

VA Gov…..Bob McDonnell, his son has been arrested.

Uh Oh? Hmm?

36. 121 Layla
    July 9, 2013 at 6:35 pm

The document stated the following, according to the lawsuit:

a. Food: not everyone eats tacos and burritos; b. Music: not everyone dances to salsa;
    c. Dress: not everyone wears a sombrero;
    d. Mexicans (lower education level, some may be undocumented);
    e. Cubans (Political refugees, legal status, higher education level); and
    f. They may say ‘OK, OK’ and pretend to understand, when they do not, just to save face.

July 9, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Sequestration Slashes Programs That Help The Unemployed Find Jobs

38. July 9, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Does anyone know what came of the meeting between PBO and the CBC..

39. July 9, 2013 at 10:22 pm

I just love the citrus and f vegetable tablescapes