Dec

The President’s Day

@PeteSouza: President Obama opens a Christmas gift from personal aide Ferial Govashiri today in the Oval Office

Barack+Obama+Barack+Obama+Holds+End+Year+News+WfJF_vilVZBl

President Barack Obama speaks to members of the media during his last news conference of the year in the James Brady Press Briefing Room of the White House

Barack+Obama+Barack+Obama+Holds+End+Year+News+VzLzAm634iOl

Barack+Obama+Barack+Obama+Holds+End+Year+News+3rW_V_Xn8G0l

Barack+Obama+Barack+Obama+Holds+End+Year+News+3Ctvx-hzRGTl

Barack+Obama+Barack+Obama+Holds+End+Year+News+t0V6CmVHfmDl

Barack+Obama+Barack+Obama+Holds+End+Year+News+kPEGsnyuq1Rl

Barack+Obama+Barack+Obama+Holds+End+Year+News+T91ZG5PcU_kl

Barack+Obama+Barack+Obama+Holds+End+Year+News+97ka2zH9nGal

Barack+Obama+Barack+Obama+Holds+End+Year+News+Wiyk0S8W4G-l

Barack+Obama+Barack+Obama+Holds+End+Year+News+sSnFwF9_80Ll

B5P6578CIAA7aEW

‘End of the year task. Signing bills.’ (Pete Souza)

The First Family (The President, First Lady, Malia, Sasha, Marian Robinson – oh, and Bo and Sunny) leave for Hawaii

180 Responses to “The President’s Day”

1. 1 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    December 19, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Good evening, TOD!

2. December 19, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Reposting from last thread:

3. December 19, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Thank you soooooOOOooOOOooooOOOooooOOooooo much Nerdy – what a day!!!

4. December 19, 2014 at 7:36 pm

5. December 19, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Nerdy is on a roll. Great round-up!

6. December 19, 2014 at 7:37 pm

7. December 19, 2014 at 7:37 pm

Like a boss, extraordinary president!

8. December 19, 2014 at 7:37 pm

December 19, 2014 at 7:59 pm

Well lookee-here! Just the fact Pres O is heading towards a real vacation has rejuvenated him already! You go, SIr! You absolutely deserve every moment of down time you will get.

9. 43 Dudette
    December 19, 2014 at 7:42 pm

Magnificent post Nerdy! Thank you!
    Man, was this a week for the history books or what?

Now I must go back and finish reading the rest of that equally magnificent previous post.

December 19, 2014 at 7:42 pm

Wow! That was quite a crowd at the TOD entrance – FIVE of you rushing to make the flight!!!

11. December 19, 2014 at 7:43 pm

I’m digging those boots FLOTUS is wearing. I see now why POTUS says it is hard to shop for FLOTUS when it comes to clothes, cause she has her own style and no one can shop for her. So POTUS here is a hint if you are buying clothes just give her the credit card.

December 19, 2014 at 7:44 pm

OH! Fabulous and wonderful day! I am done with school, First Family off to Hawaii for a much deserved vacation…and little Ms. Sasha Obama has her mother’s great fashion sense:) She looks adorable! I hope this is the BESTEST vacation ever for them…

• 52 arapaho415
      December 19, 2014 at 8:10 pm

Be sure to check out @NerdyWonka’s twitter timeline — she definitely captured the essence of “the bear is loose.”

And since you’re on vacay, hopefully you’ll have time to savor:

December 19, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Yo NerdyW, I love your close-ups and the way you make sure we get different views! πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰ Gracias, young’un; you have quite a knack for the nuances!

14. December 19, 2014 at 7:48 pm

Don’t forget Christmas in Washington is showing on TNT this evening at 8PM ET

And FYI – this is the last year that TNT will be broadcasting this event. In 2015, Christmas in Washington will likely be aired on another network – yet to be determined. The show began in 1982 when it was aired on NBC. It then moved to TNT in 1999 where it has been through this year.

15. 58 Dudette
    December 19, 2014 at 7:48 pm

16. December 19, 2014 at 7:48 pm

17. 61 idon
    December 19, 2014 at 7:50 pm

Great pics. The President has such a wonderful grasp of tradition. I love that we get to see pics and short vid of First Family leaving the WH to go on vacation. To me, it truly marks the beginning of the holiday season. It is such a lovely gesture on the part of the First Family to give us this moment.

December 19, 2014 at 7:51 pm

Just so I don’t think I’m too special – does everyone else have the ‘new’ response box to the right of the screen when someone answers you? What do you think of it so far?

• 63 MightyPamela
      December 19, 2014 at 8:16 pm

VC, I know you mentioned this (yesterday?), but I don’t see what you are referring to. I never sign in via WP, usually bookmarks, sometimes email

• 64 99ts
        December 19, 2014 at 8:24 pm

When reading TOD – right hand side top – symbol that says you have a reply to your posts – symbol is the same – when you click it ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

December 19, 2014 at 9:09 pm

Just saying that they have changed the format for responding when the ‘light’ comes on in the upper right corner of the screen, signaling that someone has responded to your comment.

• 66 99ts
      December 19, 2014 at 8:23 pm

Have to click it to see the new – awful – but all changes to WP in the past few months have been awful – when you are on a good thing – make it bad!

December 19, 2014 at 9:04 pm

Okay, TS, so we are on a similar page. I don’t know why they think we need all this info to respond to someone else’s comment.

• 68 99ts
          December 19, 2014 at 9:24 pm

It seems I have “approved” you – I can also like you, trash you, spam you or edit you – not sure why one would edit someone else’s post – unless a GOPer on wiki changing the rules of science

December 19, 2014 at 9:32 pm

Apparently you can’t edit someone else’s comment. That is the only choice I’ve clicked so far – as soon as I saw the new scenario, but I was told no. πŸ˜‰

• 70 99ts
              December 19, 2014 at 9:33 pm

Shame that – could have had some fun!

December 19, 2014 at 9:37 pm

πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ Chips has definitely attracted like-minded troublemakers to this site!

• 72 99ts
                  December 20, 2014 at 2:43 am

Weirdo – WP has gone back to the original replies format??

December 20, 2014 at 9:11 am

Not yet for me! Maybe tomorrow? You are a day ahead, after all. πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰

• 74 99ts
                      December 20, 2014 at 6:08 pm

And this morning the new horror is back – sigh!

December 20, 2014 at 6:15 pm

πŸ˜€ It never left for me!

So, are you going shopping today or are your stores closed for Sunday?

• 76 99ts
                      December 20, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Our stores close for Christmas Day & Good Friday – When I came to the US in 1978 – it was the first time I had seen stores open past 5.30pm! In those days shopping was 9am – 5.30 pm Mon to Fri and a half day on Saturday – We seem to have gone way too far in the opposite direction

December 20, 2014 at 6:30 pm

It seems we have gone too far in everything, if you ask me! We have a couple of stores that are open all night closest to Christmas. I remember when there was a ‘fight’ over legislation to have stores open on Sundays, now that’s taken for granted. Only concession is that Sunday closing is ‘early’ (5pm). And yes, they are 99 % all closed Xmas Day and New Year’s Day.

19. 78 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    December 19, 2014 at 7:51 pm

Nerdy, Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! πŸ™‚

20. 80 arapaho415
    December 19, 2014 at 7:51 pm

Will watch Tweety tonight, once it’s online.

Go April! (What’s with Twitter not “verifying” her account?)

21. 85 JER
    December 19, 2014 at 7:52 pm

He is on his way home…

Photo/Hawaii News Now

• 86 arapaho415
      December 19, 2014 at 8:13 pm

Awww, look at little Barack keeping eye out for swimmers’ safety.

Even at that age he was filled with empathy and caring.

Remarkable man, remarkable human.

22. 87 Nerdy Wonka
    December 19, 2014 at 7:56 pm

HEADS UP: Christmas In Washington featuring the First Family begins now on TNT.

23. 88 yardarm756
    December 19, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Time to party a little bit, eh?

24. December 19, 2014 at 7:58 pm

What a nice nap I had.

• 99 nospin
      December 19, 2014 at 9:04 pm

“So I hear that @EdHenry and @JonKarl et al are upset because @BarackObama passed over their hard hitting questions. :smiles, sips on drink:”

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha LL… you meanie. hahahahahahaha

25. December 19, 2014 at 7:59 pm

Holy crap, I got stuck in moderation!

26. December 19, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Thanks for freeing me, Nerdy.

27. December 19, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Merry Christmas to you, Mr. President, and to your beloved family. It gives me great pleasure and consolation to see you be on a real vacation from the muck in Washington D.C. to be with your family in sunny Hawaii.

• 110 arapaho415
      December 19, 2014 at 8:17 pm

^5.

This is PBO’s first Christmas vacation that he can truly kick off his shoes and join LL and Yardham in a nice cocktail for dinner, no GOP antics nipping at his heels.

Merry Christmas to the First Family, warm breezes and lush tropical flowers await.

• 111 99ts
        December 19, 2014 at 8:26 pm

The GOPers know they can no longer blame anyone other than themselves for the behavior of congress and lack of legislation. Suddenly they are very quiet!

28. December 19, 2014 at 8:03 pm

• 113 forus50
      December 19, 2014 at 10:47 pm

Wow, Sasha is a fashion statement and she isn’t even trying. The shoes, the pants, the bag, the coat. I LOVE the coat – the design of the collar and hemline. But seriously, if you go to any celebrity website you won’t find one celebrity that has a better look than this. (And they all have stylists lol!)

29. December 19, 2014 at 8:05 pm

I was born when President Truman was president. I remember Dwight Eisenhower and his public speeches and interactions with the press, and every president since then. No president, none, had the ability to speak with such intelligence and clarity in all my years, as our President Obama does now. We are all fortunate fortunate to be alive and witness a national and world leader of his wisdom and abilities. God bless him!

30. 119 MightyPamela
    December 19, 2014 at 8:07 pm

I just feel so relieved to know they are gone. Away, together, doggies to play with, and pray for the continued health for this family who gives so much to this country. How blessed are we?

• 120 theo67
      December 19, 2014 at 8:18 pm

Indeed. It’s such a toxic environment in Washington – it’ll be good for them to just relax together. Hope they have a very uneventful time!

31. December 19, 2014 at 8:08 pm

I don’t care what anyone says, I like the BeeGees.

32. 137 yardarm756
    December 19, 2014 at 8:10 pm

Another hour of good listening.

• 138 MightyPamela
      December 19, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Thank you for bringing this along, YA. I enjoyed listening while cooking and during dinner. ‘Bout lost it for some reason when Lisa came on singing Green The Whole Year ‘Round. It’s as if all my Irish Ancestors rose up in my Soul at once! Marvelous, for sure. Am pleased with the silence already surrounding PBO and family. As it should.

December 19, 2014 at 8:16 pm

I always liked this one…have to listen to the end:)

34. December 19, 2014 at 8:18 pm

35. 143 isonprize
    December 19, 2014 at 8:19 pm

Am I the only one that wonders what the heck do you get the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES of AMERICA for Christmas???

I mean, seriously, what do you get Barack Obama?

36. 149 Dudette
    December 19, 2014 at 8:30 pm

Some traveling music for POTUS and FLOTUS

37. 152 arapaho415
    December 19, 2014 at 8:35 pm

Constantly impressed by the power of Twitter:

38. 156 japa21
    December 19, 2014 at 8:38 pm

39. December 19, 2014 at 8:38 pm

And, yes, I love disco. #MusicOfMyYouth

40. 158 globalcitizenlinda
    December 19, 2014 at 8:39 pm

41. 159 japa21
    December 19, 2014 at 8:39 pm

42. 160 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    December 19, 2014 at 8:44 pm

Well, time for me to get back to work; my house looks like a Red Cross Disaster site and my grands and two daughter-in-laws arrive next Friday. The next week is going to be a whirlwind; tomorrow, Brunch at my cousin’s; Sunday, my teen group hosts a senior citizen luncheon; Monday, medical appointments; Tuesday, I have to decorate and set the tables as the Boro building will be closed Wednesday, Thursday and Friday… BTW, did I mention that this year, I’m cooking the meal — 109 RSVP’s and they are still coming in!!!! Yes, I’m INSANE!

• December 19, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Yes, I would say you are Insane. Lol. Seriously, I do hope that you have SOME help with the food prep. Breath deeply and enjoy every minute. Above all–stay healthy!!!!!!!!!!

• 162 Alycee (@jazziz2)
        December 19, 2014 at 9:19 pm

I’m constantly revising the menu and I am going have a little help; my cousin in Jersey is cooking the greens ( she has a farmer friend), and I decided to do purchased mini desserts — my cousin/neighbor who is also ill, but wants to help will store them in her freeze and bring them to the party, plated and ready to serve. The party favors (I give everyone an angel ornament) have been tagged and wrapped since October. I’ll make it … Truthfully, after a year of so much sadness, illness, and loss, I’m really, really looking forward to seeing everyone for a happy occasion!

December 19, 2014 at 8:45 pm

Happy Christmas and Merry New Year, Toddys.

What???

December 19, 2014 at 8:48 pm

PBO’s & PressSec’s New Year Resolution – Ignore the pasty faces in the front row.

45. 175 yardarm756
    December 19, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Enjoy and be amazed at what a small World this is. Great story.

46. 179 japa21
    December 19, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Once again hoping I do this correctly. This has always been one of my favorite Christmas carols. From a poem by Longfellow written with the Civil War as a backdrop, it reminds us not to give in to despair. This particular version, which I had never seen before, was done and dedicated to Newtown, CT. It is a little different than other versions I have heard and is, to me, particularly haunting. Watch all the way through.

47. 180 HZ
    December 20, 2014 at 7:45 pm

Hello my Chips and TOD family. Another beautiful post by our wonderful Nerdy W. {{{{{{{{TY, Nerdy W.}}}}}}}} So elated for our President and our First Lady and family getting away to enjoy some beautiful time during this holiday season. Just a lot of love, prayers, and bells of joy for this entire time.

What a joy to be living during this great presidency. A complete honor!! I am so grateful to live during this presidency with my TOD family in this beautiful and delicious space that Chips created. {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ I love you, my beautiful Chips.}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}HZ

@POTUS