Can Y’all Smell What POTUS is Cooking?

Can Y’all Smell What POTUS is Cooking?

by @zizii2

Barack Obama has decided to put himself on the Democratic “ballot” in 2016. You heard that right. He’s running again. Why not? The entire Republican Party is running against him anyway, so why not get himself on the “ballot”? Give ‘em and their corporate stenographers something to REALLY talk about. POTUS is going to be everywhere front and center, on the trail, in the media, in your backyard cookout.

He’s not going to campaign FOR the Democratic party’s candidates, he’s going to set and drive the Democratic Party agenda, which Dem pols may choose to join, not the other way around. Why? Because the Democratic Party needs to be shaken from its death throes.

A party that had everything going for it with the advent of Barack Obama, the organizing energy of his coalition, resources, cutting edge technology, simply gave up on itself after victory in 2008. It got a dead cat bounce during the 2012 re-election, then promptly went right back into willful stupor.

With a party leadership so cross-eyed, doddering around on two left feet, unwilling to embrace its own legislative successes, running away from Barack Obama, and even more zombified after the 2014 electoral losses, it is a miracle that there is barely any sign of life left to whip up for the 2016 cycle. However, strolling from cycle to cycle hitching ourselves to time-limited election campaigns will not do much to resuscitate the dried out soul of the party. We’ve needed a MOVEMENT larger than the Democratic Party itself.

A MOVEMENT comprising CITIZENS who are passionate about CAUSES like the literal survival of the 99% and the CORE VALUES of fairness of this country; who match the zeal of the billionaire vampires sucking our blood, who doggedly mobilize, cajole, trek the “streets” real or virtual, persuade persuade persuade fellow citizens to join, and never suck on purity binkies or descend into hissy fits. In short, a movement made up of CITIZENS who really have no more fcks to give.

That’s what my tea leaves say Barack Obama is cooking with 2016 elections penciled in as item one. And his coalition best gird up to run with him. The coalition is slightly expanded now. He’s invited “responsible gun owners” and Americans simply fed up with the incessant gun violence that has brought grief to so many families of diverse political stripes, to join us the usual motley crew who’ve hung with him since forever. Together he’ll lead the charge to put politicians in Washington who are ANSWERABLE to US the PEOPLE, while firmly telling especially fork-tongued Democrats: “Uh uh, it’s either us or the NRA. No compromise.”

obama 3

Just as he sparked off his 2012 re-election bid with the famous Income Inequality speech in Osawatomie, Kansas in December 2011  much to the utter confusion of the beltway and media lackeys, plus the usual centrist bedwetters gnashing teeth about Barack Obama veering too far left, so too his mission on gun safety is meant to drive the 2016 agenda. It is a natural fit with the demographic make up of his expanding coalition. The energy is there. Prez Obama lit the torch this week.

obama guns

Barack Obama knows a thing or two about building movements from the ground up. Sure, it successfully propelled him to electoral victory; a detour into that little something called saving us from a recession, saving an auto industry, drawing us out of two wars, building the foundation for alternative energy, preventing us from needlessly dying from a macabre healthcare system, repairing our image abroad, righting historical wrongs against Native American populations, redressing disparities in a broken criminal justice system, presiding over record job growth, and many more “detours”.

Yet MOVEMENT has always remained at the heart of POTUS’ core belief in citizenship. It’s why OFA stayed alive while he ran that obstacle course called Washington DC, and now he’s revving up to give his movement a new mandate. Are y’all ready? All aboard

153 Responses to “Can Y’all Smell What POTUS is Cooking?”

January 9, 2016 at 10:41 am

Hi. Bye.

January 9, 2016 at 10:49 am

so …..

January 9, 2016 at 10:51 am

EXCELLENT post zizi. I’m all aboard POTUS’ movement train….my bags are packed and I’m ready! 🙂

I think his SOTU will not just be a stunning summary of what he has accomplished and the progress we’ve made in the last 6 yrs – which in and of itself would be an excellent synopsis – but it will also be a clear outline for his agenda going forward…on every front, domestic AND foreign.

No wonder the GOP has “soured” on the SOTU rebuttal, something they were gleefully embracing just a few years ago. Now they are afraid…they are very afraid, and it’s dampened their enthusiasm because they know going up against PBO (especially this year) is a death sentence…

• 13 Don
      January 9, 2016 at 11:29 am

You are so right, hopefruit, about the SOTU rebuttal, it has gotten to the point that the Republicans draw straws just to see who DOES’NT have to give the rebuttal. President Obama has gotten the Republicans and the few Democrats on the run.

• January 9, 2016 at 12:12 pm

Yes, I think he’s going to lay out what our DEMOCRACY should look like going forward. He is such a visionary and I expect to be thrilled to listen!!

4. 15 CEB
    January 9, 2016 at 10:51 am

It is rather curious that we are more interested in what someone who will not be on the ballot will be doing than we are with those that are. Since the repubs. want to make 2016 all about PBO, he is taking it and crafting it into GOTV to rally the dems and voters of other stripes who do not want to be represented by ass holes. A community organizer from the beginning to the end is our dear PBO.

January 9, 2016 at 10:52 am

Awesome, zizi!! I’m READY! FIRED UP! READY TO GO!🙂

January 9, 2016 at 10:59 am

7. 19 MightyPamela
    January 9, 2016 at 10:59 am

❤ I'm IN!❤ I follow the🐻 – never fear.❤ Thank you, zizii2, everytime you post, the universal intelligence factor rises!🙂

January 9, 2016 at 11:00 am

• 22 99ts
      January 9, 2016 at 6:33 pm

Seems to be nothing that some will not do for money – they do not want to represent the voters in any possible way – and the media continues to be their friend

9. January 9, 2016 at 11:01 am

Love this Zizi, it makes it feel like 2016 is the beginning of something great rather than an ending – you have me excited, and severely fired up! Thank you SO much!

• January 9, 2016 at 11:32 am

I am most flattered Chica. The lightbulb just went off when I read PBO’s Op-Ed, as I’m lying here swollen-eyed battling every possible infection under the sun.

POTUS knows that his coalition is not the least bit excited about any of our candidates, and there is danger we’ll slink into apathy. So this is his parallel campaign to make us ISSUE voters rather than personality voters. Smart guy that POTUS of ours.!

• January 9, 2016 at 11:58 am

“as I’m lying here swollen-eyed battling every possible infection under the sun.”

Damn, Zizi, you poor thing, I had no idea you were so under the weather. Get yourself better, SOON!

“POTUS knows that his coalition is not the least bit excited about any of our candidates …. so this is his parallel campaign to make us ISSUE voters rather than personality voters.”

Hadn’t even thought about it that way, but that’s exactly right – and it’s such an indication of how passionate he is about these issues that he wants to stir everyone from potential apathy and keep on firing them up even after his Presidency. To me, he defines patriotism.

• January 9, 2016 at 1:00 pm

i hope you are feeling better soon….but you sure did fire off a bombastic essay…funny you say…that PBO knows that many of us are in the none of the above column….

January 9, 2016 at 11:01 am

Posting without comment….

January 9, 2016 at 11:03 am

crazy coots.

January 9, 2016 at 11:04 am

LOL. the utterly clueless breitbart at it again.

January 9, 2016 at 11:06 am

on that cheerful note, ta ta.

January 9, 2016 at 11:19 am

Ha! That’s a good one.🙂

15. 42 Don
    January 9, 2016 at 11:20 am

zizi, you just got me excited again! It is official, I’m all in for 2016!

16. January 9, 2016 at 11:21 am

Wonderful post, Zizi! Thank you!

17. 44 JER
    January 9, 2016 at 11:24 am

Good Morning Chips and TOD.

January 9, 2016 at 11:32 am

bbl..off to tutor

19. January 9, 2016 at 11:33 am

Hi/Bye amk🙂

Brilliant and totally accurate zizii! Thank you

Hope they all read it …

Yes WE Can

20. 49 Don
    January 9, 2016 at 11:34 am

When have you ever heard a sitting President tell his own members party that if you don’t follow the will of the people that he won’t support or vote for you? I love it, I dare any Democrat that’s seeking office to go against President Obama.

21. January 9, 2016 at 11:35 am

zizii, you’ll find my statement of gratitude in spam, unfortunately ….

bbl ….

22. January 9, 2016 at 11:47 am

WHAMOOOOOOOOOOO zizii2…you put into fantastic words what i have been feeling…..#YES We CAN….

my favorite statement of your essay…

…to join us the usual motley crew who’ve hung with him since forever.

gotta love that….smilin….

and to answer your question….Am I ready???….

23. January 9, 2016 at 11:48 am

Interesting to see what Bernie and Hillary…have to say about it….HA!

• January 9, 2016 at 11:54 am

If they know what’s good for them they’ll tag along. It is time we make our candidates bow to the movement. Not the other way around. Republicans don’t care about personalities, instead they all genuflect to movement conservatism. It’s time we did same on our progressive side.

• 64 Don
      January 9, 2016 at 11:54 am

I was just over at Dailykos and Bernie’s folks are trying their best to explain away his past votes on the gun issue. The thing I like the most about President Obama is that he talks only when it is necessary, and when he does speak it is clear and concise and spot on. All the while Bernie has been flapping his gums and talking about how he’s going to do this and that without a clear plan on how he’s going to accomplish anything. Welcome to the big leagues Bernie.

• 66 MadameSoph
        January 9, 2016 at 1:33 pm

Was thinking the same thing Don. PBO made one of his brilliant chess moves on Bernie with his recent statement on not campigning for anyone who isn’t with him on this issue. Or, to use one of your fave analogies, I think PBO decided it was time to “go to the mattreses”.🙂

24. January 9, 2016 at 12:00 pm

You have awaken the life in me!
    Please God make this happen. I have been in the worse funk of my life. I refuse to call it depression.
    I just have had NO MORE FUCKS TO GIVE Syndrome.
    Yeah, I like that better.
    If this is what PBO is cooking, I want the receipe, menu, serve and do the dishes.
    After VP Joe Biden’s decision I could not even gather the strength to write a check to any Democratic running for anything.
    It has been THAT serious.
    I come here for restoration.
    Thank you everyone here for keeping me going.
    Mr. Bobfr, especially you for keeping me sane and humble.
    God, please make this happen.
    Today, I feel like walking in Central Park again……it’s been months.

• January 9, 2016 at 12:07 pm

“I can honestly say two months ago I was seriously thinking about write-in Bo and Sunny names.”

😆 Oh LDS, I’m with ya, I understand!!

• January 9, 2016 at 12:21 pm

Good morning, Ms. Chips!
        Danny Boy was on thatsame list.
        And then when I read that some fool was plotting to kidnap Bo, I just went back to bed….
        I had to literally talk myself to get up and just HOPE for something, anything…..
        This jolt is just what I needed.
        I knew it was going to be tough these last few months…..but all of the senseless shootings and unnecessary killings has drained me.
        I can’t even begin to imagine what the people who are fleeing their countries and loved ones must feel right now.
        Thank God for POB who is man enough to pray and shed tears for those lives and the desire in his heart of heart to make it better for us here. I am grateful. I AM IN.

• January 9, 2016 at 12:18 pm

LDS, I also went into a general funk after VP Biden bowed out of the race. So many things conspired to affect his decision and it felt really awful to me. And then I felt like I was going from PBO to WHAT exactly?

I’ve been trying to stay hopeful and find that retreating from the nonsense from these politicians is one way to do it. I’m focused on our North Star, President Obama. What comes next from him will surely be welcome.

Hugs to you.

• January 9, 2016 at 12:29 pm

Meta, Thank you.
        Hugs to you.

Zizi, I pray that you feel better.
        We need you…..hell, I need you!
        Have you tried Omax3?
        Inflammation is the cause of most infections.
        Hugs and more hugs……

25. 75 rikyrah
    January 9, 2016 at 12:02 pm

you are probably right, zizi.

on point and great observations as usual.

26. 76 arapaho415
    January 9, 2016 at 12:15 pm

Thanks zizi2 and Chips for posting.

It is so clear to me that TOD will have trouble keeping up with PBO this year.

His January schedule alone is gonna be fun:
    Jan 12 – SOTU (squeee)
    Jan 13 – Omaha NE
    Jan 14 – Baton Rouge LA
    Jan 19 – Australia PM Malcolm Turnbull at WH
    Jan 20 – Detroit auto show
    (Syrian peace talks with @JohnKerry scheduled to begin the following week.)

After the July DNC, we will eagerly await PBO on the campaign trail, stumping for every Dem who supports his measures — it’ll be like 2008 again, but without the HRC house of drama (she’ll be doing her own thing, but won’t be in our faces saying such garbage as “Shame on you, Barack Obama” (cringe).

And he’ll squeeze as many foreign trips as humanly possible to bid farewell (as POTUS, not as private citizen) to those leaders he’s forged enduring friendships with.

So hang onto your seatbeats, TOD, it’s gonna be a FUN year!

Reposting from last thread (heck, my even post on EVERY thread until Tuesday night):

With my response (the😉 in tweet refers to PBO’s wink after he said this):

27. 80 arapaho415
    January 9, 2016 at 12:18 pm

BBL, but will leave this thread with this:🙂

28. January 9, 2016 at 12:22 pm

“A Muslim woman was escorted out of Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump’s rally in South Carolina on Friday after she stood up in silent protest. Rose Hamid, a 56-year-old flight attendant, was sitting in the stands behind Trump, according to CNN, when the billionaire suggested Syrian refugees fleeing a civil war were affiliated with the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS). Hamid, who was wearing a hijab, did not say anything while Trump spoke, according to CNN. However, Trump supporters called attention to her and Marty Rosenbluth, the man sitting next to her who also stood up.” (The Hill)

• January 9, 2016 at 1:55 pm

This clip has an interview with her after her expulsion. It’s an excellent interview, well worth watching. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0YBt_6HfbM

• January 9, 2016 at 2:54 pm

Thank you. Rose is so courageous even though she might not see what she is doing that way. Muslims come in peace – her message. She stressed that the people around her on the stands were kind even ‘sharing popcorn’. Then as she was escorted out the hate rhetoric began: Trump’s goal. We know that extremist views are the problem. Trump demanding databases and IDs for Muslims takes us back to Nazi Germany. (Rose was nevertheless very polite about him.)

29. 84 Nena20409
    January 9, 2016 at 12:37 pm

Hello TOD. HF2 took my thunder away this AM. I had that exact tweet to post here. Thank goodness, I read the post before commenting.
    Congrats to all the Gold⭐ winners, starting with this post and 2-3 posts back.
    Congrats, Amk on your “Girls” Tennis match. Nadal lost 6-1, 6-2 to Novak today.

30. 85 No Child Left Behind
    January 9, 2016 at 12:42 pm

Good Morning, TODVille.

I am late but am catching up Zizi’s train. Yes, I am in. Thank you for your thoughtful overview of the upcoming Democratic campaign.

31. January 9, 2016 at 12:44 pm

32. 93 No Child Left Behind
    January 9, 2016 at 1:02 pm

33. January 9, 2016 at 1:04 pm

The WH has added a lot of great information here:

34. 95 No Child Left Behind
    January 9, 2016 at 1:08 pm

35. 98 Nena20409
    January 9, 2016 at 1:13 pm

Zizi, your post is Excellent.
    The Cook is excellent. The aroma of his Political Dish is the Health, Well Being of USA and the World in general. for a skinny Cook with funny names, somehow, the younger folks and not so young love his Arugula😉 .
    Thank you, Zizi. Brava! 🍸 🍸 🍸

36. 99 globalcitizenlinda
    January 9, 2016 at 1:19 pm

I hope PBO also puts the denial of Medicaid Expansion to millions at the center of the campaign as one way to try and break the gop’s hold on red states and legislatures ;

I am a firm believer in that much as we have seen the visceral racial hatred of PBO by some people in these “red areas”, ironically, it is only PBO who can begin to break the Southern Strategy by mobilizing some of the poor people and the people of conscience in these areas.

PBO would be able to do this because he always encourages all us to show our best selves and a few people may be able to listen to his message when he appeals directly to their better selves

• 100 Don
      January 9, 2016 at 1:41 pm

Not only do I believe that he will put Medicaid Expansion on the table, I also believe that every thing else will be put on the table. The voters and those Democrats that are seeking elected office will have to make a choice. Those that are seeking elected office will not able to hide in 2016.

37. 101 MadameSoph
    January 9, 2016 at 1:24 pm

Zizi! Thank you so much for this! I woke up in a bit of a funk this a.m. But now, after reading your insightful and inspiring post, I feel renewed🙂

The title of the post brought back memories of the Rock’s catch phrase at the height of his wrestling days (I used to watch back then🙂 )

When PBO stated that he wouldn’t campign or vote for anyone who wasn’t right on gun sense, I knew it was him saying to BS, HRC and every down ballot Dem, “You go on ahead if you think you can win without the Obama coalition, but if you have any doubts, I suggest you recognize.”

I hope you get well soon Zizi! Thanks to you I’ll be having a better day today. I’m fired up and ready to go for PBO!

38. January 9, 2016 at 1:41 pm

Powerball Prize Climbs to $900M — But Good Luck Staying Anonymous If You Win

The ever-surging Powerball jackpot has grown to a record $900 million just hours ahead of Saturday night’s drawing.

The lucky winner will take home an estimated $558 million if they choose a lump-sum cash prize, lottery officials announced Saturday morning. And if no one happens to strike it rich this time, the prize for the next drawing on Wednesday will reach a staggering $1.3 billion, officials added.

But should you wind up with the winning jackpot, odds are good that you won’t be able to hold on to your anonymity.

With Powerball tickets sold in 44 states, as well as in Washington, D.C., the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico, all but six states require lottery winners to come forward publicly.

Delaware, Kansas, Maryland, North Dakota, Ohio and South Carolina still allow winners to remain anonymous.

Other states, however, permit winners to create limited liability companies, so that when their names have to be announced, it’s the companies and not individuals that are identified.

• 103 Don
      January 9, 2016 at 1:43 pm

That is my only concern if I win, my anonymity goes out the window.

• 107 Don
      January 9, 2016 at 1:55 pm

Usually when a jackpot is this big and with the number of tickets being sold, I’m surprised that the lottery officials haven’t already announced that every number combination has been picked, thereby guaranteeing a winner.

39. January 9, 2016 at 1:43 pm

Michiganradio.org complete coverage of the Flint water crisis. Seven pages of headline links, goes on forever. This is a serious clusterf**k.

Flint water

Scroll through all of our coverage of the Flint water crisis below.

• January 9, 2016 at 2:01 pm

I haven’t looked at this one yet and I am pleased at the coverage it is getting, but I distressed by the fact that many articles refer to the ‘city officials’ who are responsible for this without making it clear that these are not ELECTED city officials, but the EMERGENCY FINANCIAL MANAGER appointed by Snyder. A referendum to prohibit financial managers passed several years ago. Snyder and his crew rewrote it as a law and attached a financial rider to it so it can not be repealed by a referendum. They have also now passed a law that says politicians, commentators, etc. cannot discuss ballot issues within 60 of the election.

40. 113 sjterrid
    January 9, 2016 at 1:51 pm

Excellent post, ZIZI. I hope you feel better soon.

41. January 9, 2016 at 1:51 pm

Oh, this is giving me chills! Somehow I never heard this story. Magnificent!

January 9, 2016 at 2:05 pm

I DON’T LIKE 2 REFERENCES…’O’ AND ‘LAST’……………….:(

• 116 sjterrid
      January 9, 2016 at 4:24 pm

Thank you so much sharing this link bout Earl Smith. What an amazing man. So glad that he’s going to be at the President’s SOTU Address.

• January 9, 2016 at 4:25 pm

Isn’t it the best? POTUS really does think of everything and he is always so inclusive. What a moment for this gentleman!

• 118 sjterrid
          January 9, 2016 at 4:40 pm

I felt so bad and angry the way he was treated by the police and was sent to jail for defending himself against a racist cop. So sad, that it’s still happens today. Not to mention being killed by them.

• January 9, 2016 at 4:33 pm

the author calling the President a polarizing figure but she does not mention the racist hatred directed toward him and his family nor the GOP Obstruction is basically dishonest…but this is the media

42. 121 sherijr
    January 9, 2016 at 1:56 pm

On board Zizi and completely ready! Love this, thank you ~ so well written and Truth. Fired UP!

43. January 9, 2016 at 2:02 pm

Sorry if already posted:

• 123 sjterrid
      January 9, 2016 at 2:20 pm

Thanks, Meta! I haven’t seen it yet. In fact, I was planning to go see if it was up at the WhiteHouse Gov site, after catching up here.

• 124 GGail
      January 9, 2016 at 2:47 pm

Thanks meta! The baby at the end who’s blowing kisses to PBO is too cute🙂

• January 9, 2016 at 4:24 pm

Honestly, I wish someone would just put that snippet on an endless loop because I could just watch that all day long. Really, the CUTEST THING EVAH.

44. January 9, 2016 at 2:03 pm

Zizi, I’m glad you wrote this. I had the same thought reading his comment about not support anyone who was against gun legislation. I thought, “He’s driving the agenda for this election and handing Democrats their winning issues if they are only smart enough to realize it.”

45. January 9, 2016 at 2:15 pm

I just wanted to say that my beloved Sophie died Friday morning. I was with her and as far as I can tell, she was in no distress. Thank you again for letting me share this and for your loving comments.

46. 141 sjterrid
    January 9, 2016 at 2:21 pm

{{Mary}}, I’m so sorry!

January 9, 2016 at 2:39 pm

48. 149 GGail
    January 9, 2016 at 2:39 pm

ManU 1, Sheffield 0
    Memphis made the sacrifice and Rooney delivered – YAY!

49. 150 No Child Left Behind
    January 9, 2016 at 2:44 pm

From a trip to wackoland.

50. 152 No Child Left Behind
    January 9, 2016 at 2:49 pm

51. 153 Nena20409
    January 9, 2016 at 2:53 pm

And somehow, Racism died on Nov 5th, 2008?