Sep

Early Bird Chat: President Obama Visits Midway Atoll

636083622910294688-AFP-AFP-FS9ZG-84850470

resident Barack Obama tours Midway Atoll in the Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument in the Pacific Ocean

All Times Eastern

4:40PM: President Obama departs Honolulu, Hawaii en route Hangzhou, China

U.S. President Barack Obama greets workers after landing aboard Air Force One at Henderson Field to visit the Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument, Midway Atoll, U.S. September 1, 2016. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

U.S. President Barack Obama looks out at Turtle Beach on a visit to the Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument, Midway Atoll, U.S. September 1, 2016. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

President Barack Obama looks out at Turtle Beach

U.S. President Barack Obama pays his respects at a memorial to the Battle of Midway monument during a visit to the Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument, Midway Atoll, U.S. September 1, 2016. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

U.S. Marine National Monuments Superintendent Matt Brown (L) gives President Barack Obama at tour of the Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument, Midway Atoll, U.S. September 1, 2016. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

U.S. Marine National Monuments Superintendent Matt Brown gives President Barack Obama a tour of the Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument

U.S. President Barack Obama tours Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument on Midway Atoll, U.S. September 1, 2016. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

U.S. President Barack Obama views a map prior to a tour of Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument on Midway Atoll, U.S. September 1, 2016. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

U.S. President Barack Obama departs after paying his respects at a memorial to the Battle of Midway monument during a visit to the Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument, Midway Atoll, U.S., September 1, 2016. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

02OBAMA-master675

141 Responses to “Early Bird Chat: President Obama Visits Midway Atoll”

September 2, 2016 at 8:47 am

ha, vc.

2. 3 Betsy
    September 2, 2016 at 8:51 am

Good Morning Amk & NW and all of TOD!!

3. 4 Ladyhawke
    September 2, 2016 at 8:52 am

Trump’s Blood Libel & Press Failure (Brilliant, a must read.)

Even now, after all that’s happened, most political reporters find themselves either unwilling or unable to identify Donald Trump’s tirades as hate speech.
    This isn’t normal. It was normal in the Jim Crow South, as it was in Eastern Europe for centuries. It’s not normal in America in the 21st century. And yet it’s become normalized. It’s a mammoth failure of our political press. But it’s not just theirs, ours. It’s a collective failure that we’re all responsible for. By any reasonable standard, Donald Trump’s speech on Wednesday night should have ended the campaign, as should numerous other rallies where Trump has done more or less the same thing for months. There’s a reason why the worst of the worst, the organized and avowed racists, were thrilled and almost giddy watching the spectacle. But it has become normalized. We do not even see it for what it is. It’s like we’ve all been cast under a spell. That normalization will be with us long after this particular demagogue, Donald Trump, has left the stage. Call this what it is: it is hate speech, in its deepest and most dangerous form.

4. 5 GGAIL
    September 2, 2016 at 8:57 am

Good morning TOD family and a huge thanks to NW!
    Still waving to everyone from Rome GA. I’m having a very relaxing vacation 😊

But, wait, do I see PBO with his shirt open??? Lawd have mercy! LOL

• 6 cd4biden
      September 2, 2016 at 12:31 pm

As soon as I saw that photo, and especially the video of his shirt moving in the breeze, I thought of you, Gail. Since you are in Georgia I presume you are having an attack of the vapors and must take to your chair on the porch with your fan for the afternoon. 🙂 🙂

5. 7 Ladyhawke
    September 2, 2016 at 8:58 am

This election isn’t just Democrat vs. Republican. It’s normal vs. abnormal.

• 8 jackiegrumbacher
      September 2, 2016 at 9:05 am

Yes, it is LH, and it’s frightening to see the number of people I thought were sane, eagerly embracing the abnormal. They’ve convinced themselves that Trump is merely a feisty fighter and will shape up Washington and the country and make everything all right again, i.e. all white again. I feel as if I am surrounded by dark forces I didn’t even know existed before.

• September 2, 2016 at 9:06 am

Normal vs. abnormal. You are so right. I don’t believe Hillary is as bad as they say she is, I believe it is years of the right wing haters attack on her.

• 10 jackiegrumbacher
        September 2, 2016 at 9:11 am

That’s exactly what it is, Bella. Hillary Clinton is a kind, decent, intelligent woman who has devoted her entire life to public service. She has been consistently vilified by the press because she refused to know her place and follow the traditional rules. She carved a political career of her own, despite the fact that her husband was president. She was not ever going to be the silent woman, humbly doing her duty and that has enraged Republicans and their media enablers from day one. Misogyny and fear of the uppity woman has followed her whenever she has gone.

September 2, 2016 at 9:06 am

Morning everyone…Happy Finally Friday:) Can someone PLEASE explain to me why I was tearing up watching that video? Please.I need some help.

7. 15 jackiegrumbacher
    September 2, 2016 at 9:06 am

Nerdy, thank you for starting the day with this serene photo of President Obama. In the midst of a sea of craziness, he’s our island of sanity. Just looking at him calms my anxieties.

• 16 Ladyhawke
      September 2, 2016 at 9:19 am

What JG said. President Obama is just good inside. It is not possible for me to love him any more than I do.

• 17 mtmarilyn
      September 2, 2016 at 10:35 am

So well said jackie! I know yesterday as I was listening to PBO i was also tearing. To see and listen to such sanity in this midst of craziness is so wonderful. I am so going to miss him. But we all know he will go on to great things for us and the world.

• 18 Nerdy Wonka
      September 2, 2016 at 10:38 am

Thank you, Jackie.

8. 19 Don
    September 2, 2016 at 9:11 am

What a beautiful man, with a beautiful soul and a beautiful spirit. A man not bothered by the pettiness and folly of small men. Sometimes I get the feeling that he knows something that we don’t know, I’m not talking about secrets or codes or anything of that nature. More along the lines of knowing man better than man knows himself.

9. September 2, 2016 at 9:13 am

Good Friday morning, TODville. Nerdy Wonka, thank you for everything you do for this community and for our First Family.

10. September 2, 2016 at 9:14 am

September 2, 2016 at 9:17 am

September 2, 2016 at 9:18 am

September 2, 2016 at 9:19 am

I’m sure the media will be talking about this real live law breaker for weeks

14. 35 Ladyhawke
    September 2, 2016 at 9:23 am

• 36 Don
      September 2, 2016 at 9:27 am

All his big talk about making Mexico build a wall and according to him the discussion doesn’t come up, riiiiiight.

15. 37 Don
    September 2, 2016 at 9:23 am

Good morning TOD, may the day bring you unlimited joy and the night unlimited adventure.

16. 38 Ladyhawke
    September 2, 2016 at 9:24 am

17. September 2, 2016 at 9:24 am

Kaep discusses his motives and actions:

September 2, 2016 at 9:25 am

h/t BJ… http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/commentary/ct-donald-trump-losing-garrison-keillor-20160831-story.html

When this is over, you will have nothing that you want

The cap does not look good on you, it’s a duffer’s cap, and when you come to the microphone, you look like the warm-up guy, the guy who announces the license number of the car left in the parking lot, doors locked, lights on, motor running. The brim shadows your face, which gives a sinister look, as if you’d come to town to announce the closing of the pulp factory. Your eyes look dead and your scowl does not suggest American greatness so much as American indigestion. Your hair is the wrong color: People don’t want a president to be that shade of blond. You know that now.

Why doesn’t someone in your entourage dare to say these things? So sad. The fans in the arenas are wild about you, and Sean Hannity is as loyal as they come, but Rudy and Christie and Newt are reassuring in that stilted way of hospital visitors. And The New York Times treats you like the village idiot.

19. September 2, 2016 at 9:35 am

Happy Friday TODers!!

Thank you, Nerdy.

((((((((((((((((Chips))))))))))))))

September 2, 2016 at 9:40 am

G’morning Nerdy & TOD!! Congrats amk on FURST, and Happy Friday everyone 🙂

September 2, 2016 at 9:41 am

22. 56 JER
    September 2, 2016 at 9:45 am

Good Morning Everybody.

President Obama poses with everyone that lives on Midway Atoll. Pete Souza

• 57 SUEDUVALLSMITH
      September 2, 2016 at 9:47 am

❤ I WISH HIM AND HIS ENTOURAGE WELL IN THEIR JOURNEY………………

• September 2, 2016 at 9:55 am

I look at these pictures of POTUS and listen to FLOTUS at Howard U. yesterday and all I can think about is alittle over four and a half months, I have to stop thinking about it cause it makes me sad..But I am so proud too.

• 59 arapaho415
      September 2, 2016 at 10:49 am

GM JER, thanks for posting historic photo. Thank you, @petesouza.

Love small towns…

For perspective, when US had serious national journalists and publications:

September 2, 2016 at 9:47 am

For those of you who feel disillusioned by MSM’s rubbish about upcoming election, I direct you to this thread of political insight from none other than Propane Jane…she breaks it down like no other. Her tweets are based on FACTS, not wishful thinking or idle speculation.

24. 61 donna dem 4 obama
    September 2, 2016 at 9:50 am

Good Morning TOD

I have some good news this morning. As some of you know I have had an issue with the DNC because I’ve never understood why they spend so little time educating their electorate during the campaign season whether it’s a General Election or Mid-Term Election. One thing that I suggested to the DNC while volunteering during the 2012 and 2014 elections was that we needed to be doing PSA’s to educate our voters of the importance of registering and voting in EVERY election. All that money spent on negative ads and little to none on educating your electorate seemed senseless to me.

So when I saw on Twitter this week that there was a new Spanish language ad running in Arizona doing exactly what I have been begging the DNC to do for years I sent a tweet to Donna Brazile yesterday since she is now running the DNC.

Thank you all for retweeting my tweet it got her attention. She and I conversed via DM on twitter last night and just let me say what a gracious lady she is. No pretense just a very down to earth woman. As she said to me, old school. 🙂

She liked the idea and told me that they are going to be moving on this ASAP to quote her. Needless to say I was THRILLED. So hopefully you’ll be seeing ads in your community helping voters to register, explaining why they need to vote and how it affects them personally and explaining to them that their voice is their vote.

Yahhhh!!!!

September 2, 2016 at 10:01 am

Reach one, teach one:) Great job, donna! Not only that, but you got the attention of someone who could actually, immediately, make a difference! {{{donna}}}

• September 2, 2016 at 10:01 am

OMG, this is phenomenal. Thank you so much for your good ideas and your persistence. You are a true leader!! This is what I love about twitter – it creates a space that is really egalitarian and can – not always but sometimes – lead to greater things. BRAVA!!

I remember seeing Donna Brazile at the 2008 DNC convention and thinking she seemed very nice. I’m so glad you had a respectful and PRODUCTIVE convo. I look forward to seeing some results!!

• September 2, 2016 at 10:09 am

Wow Donna! That’s so awesome.

• 67 amk for obama
      September 2, 2016 at 10:17 am

egg.sack.lee.

Well done, donna.

• September 2, 2016 at 10:17 am

As PBO says. One voice can made a difference. Thank you, Donna!! 🙂

• 69 mtmarilyn
      September 2, 2016 at 10:53 am

Thank you Donna!!!!!!

• 70 CEB
      September 2, 2016 at 11:35 am

Donna, I want to be like you when I grow up! I am overwhelmed with how you work so hard, know so much, and are so determined to get shit done. Yahhhhhh! Indeed!

September 2, 2016 at 11:43 am

This is EXCELLENT donna! BRAVA and thanks for your efforts and success in reaching the DNC 🙂 I’m so happy to hear that you were able to directly reach Ms Brazile and she was open to your wonderful suggestions. 🙂 🙂 This is very good news indeed!

• 72 purpleshoesla
      September 2, 2016 at 12:14 pm

#OneVoiceCanChangeARoom! You GOOO GURRRRL!!! Thank YOU! 😆 😆

• 73 whatisworking
      September 2, 2016 at 12:18 pm

You are amazing. I am so proud of you and your ability to turn your concern into positive action. I will think of this all day, and be encouraged.

• 74 cd4biden
      September 2, 2016 at 12:46 pm

Great job Donna. Thank you so much for your persistence.

• 75 sjterrid
      September 2, 2016 at 2:39 pm

Thank you, Donna. That’s wonderful that she got back to you, and will be moving forward on this.

25. September 2, 2016 at 9:51 am

President Obama is not just a treasure to us, he is an international treasure.

26. September 2, 2016 at 9:54 am

GOP’s family values is all a facade.

• 78 SUEDUVALLSMITH
      September 2, 2016 at 6:06 pm

ON MY FB ALONG WIITH SEVERAL OTHER CHOICE ITEMS!

• 79 cd4biden
      September 3, 2016 at 1:46 am

I hope her recording him gives others the idea so they have the evidence to back up their claims. I think of Anita Hill and how things would be different if she had recorded Clarence Thomas.

27. September 2, 2016 at 10:05 am

Karma.

September 2, 2016 at 10:07 am

29. September 2, 2016 at 10:08 am

Good morning Ms. Chips, Danny and TOD family, I hope all is well with everyone this lovely Friday morning. TGIF>> Congrats amk, on being FURST this morning.

Nerdy, thanks so much for helping Ms. Chips and the sacrifices you are making for us TOD”ders. 💫🙏👌👊❤

To all, I hope the look in your eyes, the smile on your face, and the words from your mouth brings joy to all those you encounter today. ❤ ❤ ❤

Thank God that President Obama is still the President of The United States of America. ⭐🏆 ⭐🏆 ⭐🏆

September 2, 2016 at 10:09 am

31. September 2, 2016 at 10:11 am

Good morning TOD 🙂

Truth ….

Take care everyone … Thank you {{{{{NW}}}}} … Hope all is as well as possible {{{{{Chips}}}}} ……bbl ….

#ALL50

#YesWeMUST

32. 85 Ladyhawke
    September 2, 2016 at 10:16 am

33. 86 donna dem 4 obama
    September 2, 2016 at 10:22 am

34. 94 JER
    September 2, 2016 at 10:29 am

35. 95 Ladyhawke
    September 2, 2016 at 10:30 am

Dubious Clinton ‘controversies’ litter the political landscape

36. September 2, 2016 at 10:37 am

Marlon Marshall, Hillary for America’s Director of State campaigns and Political Engagement, released a statement on Thursday in response to the latest update on Trump’s upcoming visit to an African-American church in Detroit. Not only will Trump not be speaking to the congregation, but the one-on-one interview he will be having with the pastor after the service will be carefully scripted.

“Donald Trump’s latest gimmick to act as if he cares about the black community is downright shameful, insulting and cowardly,” Marshall wrote.

“After 14 months of neglecting us, Donald Trump is once again dodging substantive conversations and ducking questions about the issues that impact our community. Not surprisingly, Trump’s ignorance on issues like the economy, criminal justice reform, the meaning of quality health care or systemic racism, has forced him to resort to scripted conversations and staged engagements with our communities.”

September 2, 2016 at 10:40 am

Mornin’ – NW and TODville {{{and Chips, of course!}}} ~

September 2, 2016 at 10:43 am

September 2, 2016 at 10:43 am

September 2, 2016 at 10:44 am

alice’s looking glass….

“I am self-funding my campaign and therefore I will not be controlled by the donors, special interests and lobbyists who have corrupted our politics and politicians for far too long,” Trump said in a statement. “I have disavowed all Super PAC’s, requested the return of all donations made to said PAC’s, and I am calling on all Presidential candidates to do the same. The character of our country is only as strong as our leaders — the only special interest I am beholden to is the American people and together we will Make America Great Again!”

Lying pos

• 112 arapaho415
      September 2, 2016 at 10:54 am

GM DF. Happy Friday.

Expect crickets from cheerleading MSM, who are in the business of falsely reporting HRC “scandals.”

September 2, 2016 at 10:46 am

Volunteers, too….

42. September 2, 2016 at 10:49 am

43. 115 Ladyhawke
    September 2, 2016 at 10:52 am

• 116 Ladyhawke
      September 2, 2016 at 11:19 am

Inside the Six Weeks Donald Trump Was a Nonstop ‘Birther’

“Why doesn’t he show his birth certificate?” he asked on ABC’s “The View.” “I want to see his birth certificate,” he told Fox News’s “On the Record.” And on NBC’s “Today Show,” he declared, “I’m starting to think that he was not born here.”

The more Mr. Trump questioned the legitimacy of Mr. Obama’s presidency, the better he performed in the early polls of the 2012 Republican field, springing from fifth place to a virtual tie for first.

That frenzied period culminated six weeks after it began in a surreal televised split screen between Mr. Trump and the White House briefing room, where aides released an image of the president’s birth certificate proving he was born in Honolulu and Mr. Obama directly addressed the issue.

It was a remarkable moment that Mr. Trump celebrated as a political victory.

• 117 Ladyhawke
      September 2, 2016 at 11:21 am

• September 2, 2016 at 11:58 am

So what’s with the black preacher who is co-opted into going along with this charade for racist Trump?

44. September 2, 2016 at 10:56 am

45. September 2, 2016 at 10:59 am

Trump and GOP are dead to me.

46. September 2, 2016 at 11:01 am

47. 122 squarepeg
    September 2, 2016 at 11:06 am

Prince’s band The Revolution played their first of a 3-night stand at the iconic First Avenue last night. Here’s an article about the concert.

48. September 2, 2016 at 11:31 am

September 2, 2016 at 11:37 am

HA! 🙂 🙂

50. 127 Ladyhawke
    September 2, 2016 at 11:45 am

51. September 2, 2016 at 11:48 am

Be SAFE, TODers.

52. September 2, 2016 at 11:56 am

While I would prefer to eat a watermelon….

53. September 2, 2016 at 12:09 pm

I see the shirt buttons are taking a day off, too. Good for them 😀

54. 131 Dakota
    September 2, 2016 at 12:14 pm

Good Morning TOD Family!

Would like to take a moment to welcome back our guy Yardarm and send him my warmest regards.

Wishing everyone a happy and safe Labor Day weekend. I can’t believe how quickly this year is going by. I hate that…especially this year.

55. September 2, 2016 at 12:16 pm

September 2, 2016 at 12:18 pm

well, what do ya know.

bbc changed its fp from stanford swimmer freed to stanford sex attacker freed.

well done, tweeps.

57. September 2, 2016 at 12:19 pm

September 2, 2016 at 12:20 pm

The World Health Organization has said there have been no confirmed cases of Zika among travellers or athletes at the Rio Olympics.

The WHO said its prediction that the Games would not fuel the spread of the Zika virus was being proved correct.

Some health experts had criticised the organisation for not calling for the Games to be moved or postponed.

However, research has been published warning that two billion people could be at risk of Zika in Africa and Asia.

Guess all the moron ‘athletes’ who believed all that ‘3rd world’ fear mongering from msm feel stupid now.

59. September 2, 2016 at 12:21 pm

60. September 2, 2016 at 12:24 pm

61. 140 JER
    September 2, 2016 at 12:57 pm

Morning in Waikiki before we head to China in a couple of hours. iPhone

A post shared by Pete Souza (archived) (@petesouza44) on