Feb

Six years ago….. Barack Obama announces his candidacy

Springfield, Illinois, February 10, 2007 – Photo: Pete Souza

Text of the speech here

NYT: Senator Barack Obama of Illinois, standing before the Old State Capitol where Abraham Lincoln began his political career, announced his candidacy for the White House on Saturday by presenting himself as an agent of generational change who could transform a government hobbled by cynicism, petty corruption and “a smallness of our politics.”

…. It was the latest step in a journey rich with historic possibilities and symbolism. Thousands of people packed the town square to witness it, shivering in the single-digit frostiness until Mr. Obama appeared, trailed by his wife, Michelle, and two young daughters….

…. The formal entry to the race framed a challenge that would seem daunting to even the most talented politician: whether Mr. Obama, with all his strengths and limitations, can win in a field dominated by Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton, who brings years of experience in presidential politics, a command of policy and political history, and an extraordinarily battle-tested network of fund-raisers and advisers.

…. “If a campaign is premised on personality, then no, I don’t think you can stay fresh for a year,” he said. “But if the campaign is built from the ground up and there is a sense of ownership among people who want to see significant change, then absolutely. It can build and grow.”

More here

Photo: Callie Shell

Photo: Callie Shell

Photo: Mark Wilson

Photo: Pete Souza

Photo: Ruth Fremson

….and life was never the same again … in 2007 alone, it became kinda wacky:

February 10, 2007: On board a plane flying to Iowa after Barack Obama announced his bid for the Presidency in Springfield. Photo: Scott Olson

172 Responses to “Six years ago….. Barack Obama announces his candidacy”

1. 1 carolmaewy
    February 9, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Howdy

2. February 9, 2013 at 10:11 pm

#LongPastTime

And, dear Chips, I hope you read Jackie’s outstanding statement (near the bottom of the previous thread) and quote it in a future post. Thank you!

#FORWARD

3. 15 carolmaewy
    February 9, 2013 at 10:13 pm

.~*,~*,~*,~SNOW~*,~*,~*,~.
    Just checking in on and off today. Hubby’s days off. Can’t believe I might be first. The snow is just starting here. Hope everyone is ok. Lots to post about.

February 9, 2013 at 10:15 pm

oh, those days of stupid pundtwitry disguised as bw cw.

• 19 theo67
      February 9, 2013 at 11:12 pm

We’re still living in those days, amk. They were displaying their wisdom just three months ago, declaring that Romney was a sure thing to occupy the White House – with Romney even advising the Obama family to “start packing”.

February 10, 2013 at 1:37 am

Who? (Gag!) Glad he’s history. Well, actually two-term President Barack H. Obama is history. Romney’s a sad, pathetic footnote, who paid for a bunch of campaign buttons that’ll be traded at some flea market some day. (And now I’m whistling.)

• 22 nathkatun7
      February 10, 2013 at 1:28 am

I remember those days, AMK! It seems to me that many of those pundits haven’t learnt a thing from what took place in 2008 and 2012. I wish the “punditwitry” would heed George Santayana’s words.

5. 23 PoliticalJunkessa
    February 9, 2013 at 10:17 pm

The Audacity of Hope. We are all the better because of that audacity.

What a beautiful round-up of pictures, Chips. Seeing Michelle the little girls, Rev. Wright…..what a journey!

February 9, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Indeed. :) :) What a lovely walk down memory lane. The girls have grown so much!

• February 9, 2013 at 10:30 pm

It’s been the most beautiful of journeys PJ, thank you for keeping me company along the way!

• 26 nathkatun7
        February 10, 2013 at 1:48 am

Chipsticks, I pray and hoipe that whoever writes the history of President Obama will make note of the significant role that TOD played in supporting the President and spreading truthful information about him and his accomplishments. For a person like me who has been boycotting the 24-7 cable news, and relying mainly on print media, I get so much knowledge about what’s going on in the media by coming here .I also learn what the media is neglecting to cover when it comes to President Obama. I especially value this place because I get to hear what the President, Vice-President, and First Lady actually said without the MSM filters. Finally without TOD I would never have known how people in foreign countries such as; India, Brazil, Ireland, the U.K. Australia, Turkey, Thailand, Indonesia, etc., received the President. Most of the Print media I read regularly never covered in detail President Obama’s trips and reception abroad.

• 27 jackiegrumbacher
          February 10, 2013 at 8:08 am

Couldn’t agree more, Nath. We would never know about any of the trips, receptions, meetings or statements from the president and first lady without this site. It’s kind of stunning when you think of the conscious way the media keep Americans in the dark about their own president.

February 9, 2013 at 11:20 pm

Hi neighbour, PJ! :lol: Haven’t seen you at the fence for a while. Then again, I haven’t been out in the back yard as much myself.

6. 29 susanne
    February 9, 2013 at 10:19 pm

chips, these photos are just amazing–what a journey it has been! tears in my eyes, seeing michelle brushing off his jacket sleeve, so protective and present with him. and the girls, with their innocent interest in what’s happening, before they became camera-shy. you can feel the electricity of the moment, as the wheel of fate grinds into a sharp turn toward justice and hope for the future.

• 30 Pamela
      February 9, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Hey, in this photo, with Michelle brushing Barack’s sleeves, is that our SilverFox standing behind BHO, smiling? No beard, and somewhat younger (weren’t we all), but I can’t quite tell if it is he? Input? Carolyn? HZ?

• 31 HZ
        February 10, 2013 at 12:07 am

Pamela, how are you? I took another look and it looks like our SilverFox standing to the right of Rev. Wright. Maybe?HZ

7. February 9, 2013 at 10:19 pm

Wonderful thread Chipsticks! Congrats for the upteempth time #1 Carolmaewy.

February 9, 2013 at 10:19 pm

Two guys are sitting on a bar stool. One starts to insult the other one. He screams, “I slept with your mother!” The bar gets quiet as everyone listens to see what the other weasel will do. The first again yells, “I SLEPT WITH YOUR MOTHER!”

The other says, “Go home dad, you’re drunk.”

February 9, 2013 at 10:23 pm

This is for you, Chips.

A man stumbles up to the only other patron in a bar and asks if he could buy him a drink.

“Why of course,” comes the reply.

The first man then asks: “Where are you from?”

“I’m from Ireland,” replies the second man.

The first man responds: “You don’t say, I’m from Ireland too! Let’s have another round to Ireland.”

“Of Course,” replies the second man.

Curious, the first man then asks: “Where in Ireland are you from?”

“Dublin,” comes the reply.

“I can’t believe it,” says the first man. “I’m from Dublin too! Let’s have another drink to Dublin.”

“Of course,” replies the second man.

Curiosity again strikes and the first man asks: “What school did you go to?”

“Saint Mary’s,” replies the second man. “I graduated in ’62.”

“This is unbelievable!” the first man says. “I went to Saint Mary’s and I graduated in ’62, too!”

About that time in comes one of the regulars and sits down at the bar. “What’s been going on?” he asks the bartender.

“Nothing much,” replies the bartender. “The O’Malley twins are drunk again.”

10. 43 carolmaewy
    February 9, 2013 at 10:24 pm

I love all these photos. What I remember most of what I saw, was when the TV camera panned the crowd and the streets were packed. I just knew I was watching something special. :smile:

February 9, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Walking up to a department store’s fabric counter, a pretty girl asked, “I want to buy this material for a new dress. How much does it cost?”

“Only one kiss per yard,” replied the smirking male clerk.

“That’s fine,” replied the girl. “I’ll take ten yards.”

With expectation and anticipation written all over his face, the clerk quickly measured out and wrapped the cloth, then teasingly held it out.

The girl snapped up the package and pointed to the old man standing behind her. “Grandpa will pay the bill,” she smiled.

wimmin/smh

12. February 9, 2013 at 10:29 pm

• 48 amk for obama
      February 9, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Yup, turning the house convincingly blue (accounting of the usual quota of corrupt dems) should be the main goal from now on.

• February 9, 2013 at 10:40 pm

Yep. And, we need an overwhelming majority in the House and take even more seats in the Senate.

The #KOCHSTER John Birch plutocrats and their ilk must be crushed, totally in 2014 and beyond.

• 50 nathkatun7
          February 10, 2013 at 1:58 am

Bobfr, I am ready to do whatever it takes to ensure that Republicans lose control of the House of Representatives and Democrats increase their numbers in the Senate.. That’s the only way we will be able to effectively defeat right wing insanity.

February 9, 2013 at 10:52 pm

Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

• 52 susanne
      February 9, 2013 at 11:05 pm

in this picture, nancy is pointing to bonehead, and saying to the sergeant at arms, ‘throw that drunk out, and do not let him back in!’

• 53 Pamela
      February 9, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Yes, and because I’ve written them twice and said I will donate to individual Dem candidates, and only to those who are doing their job, standing WITH the President and not with the GOP! I imagine I am not the only one they are hearing from on this!

13. 55 Lana
    February 9, 2013 at 10:31 pm

On the Steps in Springfield
    10 February 2007

Begin humbly, seeking a sign to show the way.
    Actions will always speak louder than the best
    Rhetoric, but never forget the power of words.
    Acknowledge that all of human achievement
    Combines heart, mind, need and opportunity.
    Keep the faith, baby. You are not the first

Or the last to stand before hopeful citizens,
    Begging for belief and support, promising
    An awakened populace that we all together,
    Multitudes for change, can make a difference.
    And take care – the world is full of crazies.

~Lana Wiltshire Campbell

***

I wrote this acrostic poem on February 10, 2007, after watching Barack Obama announce his candidacy for the Presidency. I also signed up on Obama.com that day and have been “in” ever since.

• February 9, 2013 at 10:41 pm

WOW!!!! Lana thank you for sharing your poem and it is truly an honor to be able to write this statement of gratitude to you as one of your fellow TOD community members.

Yes We Can

• 63 Judith Fardig
      February 9, 2013 at 11:46 pm

Good for you for recognizing Barack Obama’s genius early on and articulating your feelings so beautifully!

February 10, 2013 at 1:53 am

Absolutely fantastic!

• 66 nathkatun7
      February 10, 2013 at 2:11 am

Amazing! Your story highlights the importance of Catholics who shared his vision of Univeral brotherhood. But it also shows the ineptness of the media. Rather than doing actual investigative work, about the unwavering support that President Obama enjoys from people, like you, who were on board days after his 2008 announcement that he was running for President, they would rather peddle negative polls aimed at undermining President Obama’s support.

• 67 Lana
        February 10, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Thanks so much nathkatun7! There are so many of us who have been “in” since the beginning… or before, if we saw him in 2004!

• 68 jackiegrumbacher
      February 10, 2013 at 8:14 am

Lana your poem is beautiful and inspiring and I stand in awe of your talent. I hope you’ve published your poems, or at least had an opportunity to share them with many people. You have a rare gift.

• 69 Lana
        February 10, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Thanks so much, Jackie. I have been published, but have not been able to write since my sister died on November 7th… just blocked (and the way our President gets treated, in spite of how amazing he is, does not help). Polemic seems easier than poetry these days!

14. February 9, 2013 at 10:32 pm

15. February 9, 2013 at 10:38 pm

16. February 9, 2013 at 10:42 pm

17. 76 lovingandlaughing
    February 9, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Great post Chips! Wow, so much has changed since then! So happy hear in CT that the blizzard is over and tat we did not loose power! Somewhere upwards of two feet of snow fell in our yard!

• February 9, 2013 at 10:48 pm

So glad you didn’t lose power, LaL!!!

• February 9, 2013 at 10:55 pm

I cant imagine not having power, especially after that storm. I went w/o power for two weeks during Hurricane Hugo, when I lived in Charlotte,NC. It was unbearable. Check out this amazing interactive photo essay through instagram of the storm http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/02/08/us/the-storm-on-instagram.html

• 79 lovingandlaughing
          February 9, 2013 at 11:22 pm

Thank you for the link lovelyplains. I will check that out! We ended up at the last minute so fearful to be without power/heat in a house in the winter that we spent more than we could afford and we bought a generator. My husband had quite the day locating one and then getting everything else he needed to be able to set it up and connected! It was crazy, but we decided we could not risk water damage to our house if pipes froze and we have three kids so we needed to have a plan to be safe and warm!

February 9, 2013 at 11:35 pm

Thank goodness lovingandlaughing. At least the North East is better equipped to handle winter storms/blizzards than tropical hurricanes (as in Sandy). Glad to hear that you and your family are safe, warm and powered up. :)

• 81 veryslowwriter
            February 10, 2013 at 1:52 am

You won’t regret that generator. It’s the difference between discomfort and misery.

• 82 kathryn kivett
          February 10, 2013 at 12:12 am

me too, LP…ice was the hardest thing to find…to this day, I keep drink bottles full of water in my freezer..”just in case”

• February 10, 2013 at 12:29 am

I was just a teenager at the time, but my dad had just put in a gas water heater the year before, which was not the norm. Our saving grace was that we were the only people in our neighborhood w/ hot water! We did so many solids for our neighbors, that they would send us piles and piles of Christmas cookies every year! And me an my buddy thought we were rolling in cash b/c we would saw and clear all the trees in people’s yards for 20 bucks. Little did we know they pro’s were charging 2-300 bucks. Naive little rascals we were!

• 84 lovingandlaughing
        February 9, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Thank you Bob! It was such adrama filled lead up to the storm and then the storm was so intense! I am so happy to be on this side of the blizzard, that is for sure with my family safe and sound!
        Silly typo above…here, not hear!

18. 85 susanne
    February 9, 2013 at 10:50 pm

from tpm, a recent poll indicates midterms will bring out women voters this time, for the issue of gun control:

‘ Women who don’t usually vote in midterm elections — the same women who generally drive Democratic victories — will turn out in 2014 over the issue of guns, according to a recent poll.

The survey released by Women Donors Network, a self-described progressive “community of women philanthropists,” found that a subset of women voters who usually don’t vote in midterm elections are more likely to vote in 2014 on the issue of gun violence.

That echoes what former Rep. Steve LaTourette (OH), now a militant moderate leader in the Republican Party, said on Tuesday when he cautioned his party against sticking too close to the National Rifle Association in the post-Newtown legislative push to reduce gun violence. If the GOP is seen as being in the pocket of the NRA, he said, it could cost the party big with women in future elections.

The survey, which was conducted by Democratic pollster Diane Feldman and Republican pollster Bob Carpenter using live phone calls to 1,500 women, found that “women who may not ordinarily vote in a non-presidential year are among those most engaged with issues of gun violence.” The group also posted a PDF slide deck presenting the poll’s findings.

Feldman explained in an interview with TPM on Wednesday the results mean guns could be good politics for Democrats.

“As we approach the 2014 congressional elections, the question will be to what degree do single women, lower income women, persons of color participate since that’s the Democratic edge,” she said. “And this is an issue that can encourage them to participate.” ‘

• 86 Lana
      February 10, 2013 at 1:03 am

Women need to learn that we have to vote in every election from now until the end of time!! I still can’t believe what so many staying home in 2010 did to us! VOTE!!!

19. 87 anniebella
    February 9, 2013 at 10:51 pm

I look at those pictures and it makes me think how I had no intention of voting for Barack Obama. I didn’t know who this guy was, yes he gave a great speech in 2004 at the DNC, but I didn’t believe he had a chance of winning. My choice to vote for was Hillary or John Edwards. Till Barack Obama won Iowa, then I said wait just a minute, let me take another look at this guy. Maybe just maybe he can win it all.I admit I never thought he had a chance of winning, after all he’s Black this is America, enough said. But I started listening to him, liking what I was hearing, falling in love with his family, and folks the rest is History. He won!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 88 veryslowwriter
      February 10, 2013 at 1:56 am

Yep. I read a profile of Barack Obama in the New Yorker. Like everyone else, I thought “yeah he sounds great but let’s get real…a Black guy?” Then Iowa. And like so many, that was when I thought “well, hell! Maybe it’s possible.”

20. 89 lisalovesobama
    February 9, 2013 at 10:52 pm

Hey everybody. Hope you’re all doing well.
    .Hopefruit, are you still up? I was just going through the threads and read what you wrote about John Stewrat and drones an something about an apology. What’s the story?

21. 98 a4alice
    February 9, 2013 at 10:53 pm

hey TOD how’s everyone? been taking a media break while repairing our bathroom! Hope everyone who’s out east is staying safe! Hey ya Chips! :-)

• February 9, 2013 at 10:56 pm

“been taking a media break while repairing our bathroom”

Alice, that’s the worst excuse I’ve EVER hear :-)

But I hope your bathroom is better??

• 100 a4alice
        February 9, 2013 at 11:03 pm

bah ha ha! I’m going to stop dreaming now of laying diagonal tile (me: spatially challenged ;-) ) The rest should be easy as pie! (eeeeek!!!)

• 101 carolmaewy
        February 10, 2013 at 1:40 am

Does that mean my excuse of spending quality time with hubby is out the window too? I saw a cute cartoon. It was two dogs at a restaurant looking at the menu and telling the waiter they would each like the homework! :smile:

22. 102 carolyn
    February 9, 2013 at 10:56 pm

I well remember watching his announcement. It was exciting and such a relief after 7 years of GWB and total ineptitude and lies. Then, about two months later my husband and I saw him here in OKC. The rally was electric, even in Oklahoma. I followed every rally, every TV appearance, got involved in the OFA blog….just reading, never wrote, donated money, put up signs…..I think the entire country was reeling from our 7 year nightmare and so relieved to see help on the horizon. This announcement began that long, grueling primary season. What stamina they had!
    I remember plunging to despair when something bad would happen, then rising to impossible heights of joy when he would overcome the obstacle. This time I had a calm confidence knowing he would be re-elected. However, I have had to remind myself several times that he IS president for four more years, and not still campaigning.
    It is so good to have a president with the long view working for us. He’s not interested in 24 hour news cycles or “news bites.” We are indeed fortunate.

23. 103 susanne
    February 9, 2013 at 11:01 pm

so chips, how are things with the big bad cat?

• 104 carolmaewy
      February 10, 2013 at 1:46 am

That is funny. He looks like my “Big Guy”. My guy is gone but not forgotten. Memories are a Joy. I really hope her girl comes back to her penthouse.

24. 105 LDS
    February 9, 2013 at 11:04 pm

Chips, all of the pictures are great and wonderful. But the one that touches my heart is the one Michelle is brushing his coat.
    So caring, loving and so assuring…..

• 106 susanne
      February 9, 2013 at 11:09 pm

me too–don’t know why, but tears sprung to my eyes seeing that photo.

• 107 jackiegrumbacher
      February 10, 2013 at 8:25 am

LDS I also like the one in the plane where PBO is looking at Michelle with such love and gratitude for throwing herself into the campaign. and interacting so well with people. It’s as if he saying, “you’re wonderful at this. Thank you for making this possible for me.” It couldn’t have been easy for Michelle to say yes to this campaign and he knew he couldn’t have done it without her. I’m sure he’s never forgotten that.

25. February 9, 2013 at 11:11 pm

26. 114 Nena20409
    February 9, 2013 at 11:17 pm

Came back in and saw that a post was added. Thank you Chips for all you do.

Pardon me for bringing this 3 yrs old John back. The kid is just a little fiber. I just love his way of fibbing when caught red handed.

• 115 theo67
      February 9, 2013 at 11:22 pm

That child has been hanging around too many Republicans. Even when faced with the evidence – he still sticks to his story!

• 116 99ts
        February 10, 2013 at 12:11 am

Someone has taught him to lie – I find that unusual given his age – well it was when my daughter was young – children I knew were usually truthful up to age 5-6.

• 117 0388jojothecat
          February 10, 2013 at 12:29 am

I disagree, yes some kids will be honest but some kids don’t want to be punished and will lie even when asked many many many times until they know they’re gonna get punished anyway. I remember my mom would ask, “Who did this?” and my brothers and I would all say we didn’t do it until she said OK, everyone is gonna get punished, then we ALL would fess up we did it…..I was usually the culprit and confessed so my brothers would not get punished too because they knew I did it and would get me later.

• 118 99ts
            February 10, 2013 at 12:59 am

I’m sure there are instances of lies – but in the main I find young ones truthful – always rather sad when they learn to lie. As with your example, I can remember my sister and I lying to cover each other – but eventually the truth came out – as in your example. I think this wee lad was going to say no forever, despite all the evidence.

• 119 theo67
          February 10, 2013 at 12:47 am

I was quite surprised that a child that young knew how to lie. I thought they couldn’t lie before the age of about 4 or so.

• 120 amk for obama
      February 9, 2013 at 11:24 pm

They’re not empty. :)

He has lovely big eyes.

• 121 Nena20409
        February 10, 2013 at 12:06 am

It’s like when told about the blue dress Bill Clinton went from I did not have sex with that WOMAN, Ms. Lewinsky…. To It depends on what is, is. Little John, Bless his heart, is 3yrs old. If he becomes a lawyer and in 20-24 yrs, he will make a heck of a darn lawyer….He is RIGHT in that the container is still half filled with sprinkles.

• 122 susanne
      February 9, 2013 at 11:28 pm

hilarious–notice how he covers his bottom with his hands as he backs away from mom…..

February 9, 2013 at 11:36 pm

Coincidentally I recently caught a radio programme discussing truth and lies at ages 2-4 which suggested that John is an intelligent young man. As per their research children who lied at the younger end were actually more developed mentally in their executive functioning skills or whatever in comparison to those who spoke the truth. Wouldn’t you know, the first part of the research was built around candy/sweets too!

• 124 Nena20409
        February 10, 2013 at 12:10 am

A Litigator in making is little John. :) He never hesitated. He stuck to his little story and his expression…..Not one iota of guilt or shame. The kid is a pro at 3yrs old. It will be interesting who he ends up with Truthiness as he grows.

February 10, 2013 at 12:22 am

He is THINKING enough to realize that the obvious answer is not the answer that mom needs to hear. I must say though that I was not happy with mother for giving John so many opportunities to reinforce the lie, seems a bit counterproductive IMO (also I wonder who was doing the taping).

• 126 Nena20409
            February 10, 2013 at 10:42 am

The mother was…..there is a Female’s foot that was showing briefly as they walked towards the area where the sprinkles were left on the counter.

February 10, 2013 at 11:00 am

Dare I say I don’t like her approach? GM, Nena, I actually woke up earlier with this on my mind! ‘Hounding’ him, filming and entrapping (followed maybe by a spanking) just do not strike me as the most effective way to steer John away from lying. IMO mom might just end up with a more proficient liar who learns to cover his tracks better.

• 128 a4alice
      February 9, 2013 at 11:55 pm

Ha! He’s a cutie :-)

27. 129 Nena20409
    February 9, 2013 at 11:20 pm

This brings back a lot of sweet memories.
    I love it.

• 131 susanne
      February 9, 2013 at 11:32 pm

sort of…

‘ Since winning election Obama has been combative with Republicans, who are still trying to move forward after a deeply disappointing election in which they not only lost the White House, but seats in the House and Senate.

Their choice of Sen. Marco Rubio (Fla.) to give the Republican response to Obama suggests the GOP is regaining its footing and finding a new leader. To win legislative victories, Obama will need to work with Republicans, not simply steamroll them. ‘

Read more: http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/282035-obamas-state-of-the-union-to-add-details-to-far-reaching-agenda#ixzz2KT2lpkVC
      Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook

February 9, 2013 at 11:49 pm

That article is a perfect example of media objectivity in the 21st century in America. I don’t know who Amie Parnes (by-line) is, but I really don’t need to know as I’m willing to bet she/he has a GOP in his/her back pocket. Sometimes I wonder if published articles like theses are vetted or edited before being posted.

• 137 99ts
        February 10, 2013 at 12:09 am

If Rubio is the great hope of the republican party – they really have no hope.

• 138 carolmaewy
        February 10, 2013 at 1:54 am

They said PBO was combative? I never read the hill. Thought you had to pay for it. Let them push Rubio. He is not as bright as they think and doesn’t give good speeches. Then I hear Rand Paul is giving a Tea Party speech. So we have three party system now? Idgits.

• 139 jackiegrumbacher
        February 10, 2013 at 8:31 am

Suzanne, the idea that choosing Rubio to give the SOTU response is a sign of the GOP regaining its footing is hilarious. A venal, far right tea party candidate who DOES NOT relate well to most Latinos is their savior? Please. This is like saying they regained their footing just before the Titanic sank beneath the waves. Wonder how much she got for this article.

February 9, 2013 at 11:24 pm

I’m a sucker for memory lane PBO vids, every time, all the time, no matter how often I’ve seen each – the older the better! :lol: :lol: That’s One of the ways Chips Chica initially managed to rope me into the village, sharing one each night until I was thoroughly hooked. Thanks a lot, Ms Chips! (no snark)

February 9, 2013 at 11:27 pm

Yup! :) It’s easy to become a TOD addict – and quite frankly I’m enjoying my addiction :)

February 9, 2013 at 11:39 pm

I’m not sure I would use the word ‘enjoy’, Hf – for fear someone might try to take my first and only addiction away from me. ;) ;)

February 9, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Looking those pictures over again I’ve just realized that the enthusiasm gap that was there from the very beginning never changed. Imagine that! ;)

30. February 9, 2013 at 11:31 pm

A Boston Red Sox Prosoect named Bryce Bentz just shot himself in the leg, while cleaning his handgun.

Now, I know what you are going to say…, why clean your weapon when you have a round in the chamber?

That’s because he doesn’t know what the fuck he is doing!!

Ugh!

• 145 susanne
      February 9, 2013 at 11:49 pm

this guy just blew his career. it’s not only innocent bystanders who are harmed by our national gun fetish–people who keep guns are harming themselves, their children, their families, neighbors, communities, whether they want to or not.

this is why we need licensing, with a training and testing requirement, and periodic renewals. like for driving a car. guns are lethal weapons–that’s their one and only function. it’s irresponsible for us as a nation to allow this rampant misuse.

• February 10, 2013 at 1:42 am

I, who knows next to nothing about guns, knows that much. Don’t ask me HOW to get the round out, but I know you need to. Jesus.

• 147 susanne
        February 10, 2013 at 3:25 am

my one experience using a gun to protect my family, was over 30 years ago, in rural new mexico. a huge rattlesnake was in a standoff with our dog in the front yard, while my sons and nephew were excitedly watching. i heard the noise and ran outside, saw the situation and that the kids couldn’t get past the snake to the house, and the dog was at high risk, too. i grabbed a small pistol my husband kept, found the box of shells, while screaming everyone to get back, i started shooting. the snake leapt under a shrub–i kept shooting till my six bullets were spent. still screaming at the kids (dog still barking crazily) (rattler still rattling madly) i ran in the house to get more bullets. but the spent shells were still in the chambers. i tried spinning the thing like annie oakley, shaking it, and swearing at it heatedly–no good. finally, i fished a diaper pin from my sewing machine drawer, and pried each casing out, replacing it with a bullet. i repeated this little drama till the box of shells was all used up, and the snake had stopped moving. at last, we pulled the snake out with a garden rake, and it was very dead and holey, but still well over 6 feet long.

now, there are many morals to this story, and i’m sure you’re thinking of a few (use a shovel, let the poor thing live, call the authorities, etc), but i tell it here to point out one thing: a diaper pin works well for removing shells from the chamber. :)

31. February 10, 2013 at 12:20 am

O/T but if there are any March Madness fans, #11 Louisville vs. #25 ND just went into their 5 overtime on ESPN! They are running out of players if anybody fouls!

32. 154 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    February 10, 2013 at 12:21 am

These bastards have their hands in everything…

February 10, 2013 at 12:38 am

President Obama’s reelection has had a devastating impact on Fox News. Ratings are down, viewer trust is at an all time low, and now the network is caught in the middle of a Republican civil war.

Republicans and right wing media have become fond of claiming that President Obama is out to destroy the Republican Party, but no other media organization has suffered greater damage from the president’s reelection than Fox News. But it wasn’t Obama that wounded Fox; rather, it was a series of absurdly poor decisions that left the network reeling.

///

However, the biggest problem for Fox News is that they were wrong. FNC was so blinded by their partisan mission that they got the 2012 election completely wrong. They were wrong about Obama’s vulnerability, wrong about Romney’s victory, wrong about who would show up to vote, wrong about Republicans retaking the Senate, and most importantly, they were completely wrong about the direction of the country. The success of Obama’s tax message, the popularity of ending Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell, and his action on immigration were a clear signal that the country was moving left. Instead of injecting a bit of reality into their coverage, Fox News kept trotting out people like Sarah Palin and Dick Morris to tout the inevitability of Romney’s victory. Viewers reacted to Fox’s propaganda-over-facts attitude by giving the network their lowest trust ratings ever. Except for the political right, viewers don’t trust Fox.

The third wheel to fall off the Fox News juggernaut is the now out in theopen civil war between the Republican Party establishment and the tea party. Fox News employs both Karl Rove, the leader of the establishment push back, and several tea party darlings, like Mike Huckabee. Fox News was a big factor in the promotion of the right wing billionaire-backed AstroTurf movement known as the tea party in 2009 and 2010, but over the past year, they have been trying to distance themselves from the monster that they helped create. President Obama’s landslide reelection turned what was stealth conflict inside the Republican Party into full on public warfare. Fox News is going to be forced to alienate a portion of their audience by picking a side. So far, the network has tried to straddle the middle publicly, but the firing of Sarah Palin made it clear that Murdoch and Ailes are siding with the party establishment.

February 10, 2013 at 12:39 am

Oh dear, I forgot to check the time and it’s after midnight. That’s definitely time for me to skedaddle. Toodle-di-doo, my friends, I’m trying to put the body on a schedule. Sweet dreams, one and all, and to all a good night!.

February 10, 2013 at 12:42 am

36. February 10, 2013 at 1:10 am

So happy I finally got a post thru earlier. And to see all these pictures. My first political rally ever was to see Barack Obama in Iowa after he first announced. A friend gave me a ticket. Was so impressed with him that night. Still kicking myself because it was in a small high school gym and people had him sign copies of his book that night after his speech and I did not take mine. Michelle seemed so shy that night. My daughter and I then attended our first ever Iowa primary caucus. Obama got the most votes that night. And I also remember the older ladies from the retirement center who were there and so wanted Hillary to be elected as the first woman in their lifetimes. My daughter was voting in her first presidential election. Lots of good memories. First time I ever pounded the pavement encouraging people to vote and registering voters. Spent last election night right here – could not stand to watch TV.

February 10, 2013 at 1:43 am

38. 163 carolmaewy
    February 10, 2013 at 2:07 am

Good Night TODville. Anyone want to guess how much snow I will wake up to? I say one inch.

39. 164 99ts
    February 10, 2013 at 2:18 am

What great pictures – in my world in 2007 – no-one – & I truly believe no-one – thought a black man could be elected President of the United States. The fear that another republican would be elected was everywhere and it wasn’t until a couple of months before the election that I began to realize this was going to happen. I think it was the rally where over 100,000 came – (St Louis, Missouri) – I watched it live – that the miracle of this leader became clear – He was going to be elected. It was a glorious feeling – I stayed up for 24 hours watching those results come in!

40. 165 susanne
    February 10, 2013 at 3:34 am

enjoy the sunday shows!

abc: tom cole r-okla, eith ellison d-minn

nbc mtp: eric can’t-er r-va, dick durbin d-ill, kasim reed mayor atlanta

cbs face: jack reed d-ri, lindsey graham r-s.c., mike rogers r-mich

cnn sotu: rand paul r-ky, angus king i-maine, robert gates, jan schakowsky d-ill, kay bailey hutchinson

fox: john mccain r-ariz, nancy peolsi d-calif

• 166 Lynn
      February 10, 2013 at 6:38 am

If Ms. Nancy is going to be on the horror channel, I just might make my first ever journey to that slime hole just to see her take the place apart!! Thanks so much for the heads-up, susanne!!

• 167 Bill
      February 10, 2013 at 8:04 am

Things are back to normal. McCain and Miss Lindsey are on the Sunday shows.

41. 168 dotster3
    February 10, 2013 at 8:03 am

mr. dotster can’t believe I’m always feasting my eyes on Obama. I just teasingly asked him if he wanted to see photos of Obama in Springfield. How ’bout when Obama was a baby? When he was in his Halloween costume? etc. He asked when was the last time I really studied a photo of him, gazed upon it with adoring eyes. :)

• 169 Bill
      February 10, 2013 at 8:07 am

Just tell Mr. Dotster, you have the real thing with him and you don’t need any stinking photos. That should work.

42. February 10, 2013 at 8:13 am

Sens. Feinstein, Leahy push for court oversight of armed drone strikes

Carlo Muñoz – 02/10/13 06:00 AM ET
    That authority could be patterned after the intelligence oversight responsibilities under the Foreign Intelligence and Surveillance Act.…

Now this is Stupid! Here is why? In 1998, a couple of Marine Recon Snipers Who were working for Para Military, had Bin Laden in their sites. Eyes on Target!
    They had to get it cleared by the WH, at which point, by then, it was to late. He moved.
    Can you imagine, if those 2 Snipers had taken out Bin Laden in 98?
    You see what I am gettin at here?
    If you ask the Court, you might miss an opportunity to strike at Zawahiri( it takes to long)!
    These Senators just like POWER and nothing else! Democratic Senstors are distrustful of a Democratic President, but not GW. Scratching my fucking head!

43. February 10, 2013 at 9:39 am

Hi Everyone!

Last night I saw a tweet from Mediaite and it just pissed me off. To think that these “experts” are invited on shows to give their opinions to millions of people and that some of them are heading up major publications or news sites. Take for example tina brown from the daily beast. On bill maher she said that we would have impeached george bush on drones by now.

OH REALLY?! george bush LIED to us on Iraq and TORTURED detainees at gitmo. Was he impeached for any of that?!!! NO! So how is it that he would have been impeached over drones? GTFOH!! If ALL bush was ever guilty of his killing an American turned terrorist with a drone, his legacy would have been FAR better than it is now. How the hell do these opinionators have any damn credibility?

Someone else on the show goes on to talk about how Democrats have to be hawkish. No, not really. While Americans trust (or used to) GOP more on national security, Pres.Obama is not using drones willy nilly to impress you. There are real threats out there. Its the world we live in and we are the United States. Thanks to our past mistakes (understatement) in foreign policy, EVERY President is going to have to deal with it whether they are a pacifist or hawk.