Jun

Rise and Shine

5937200288_b85d136a4c_b

President Barack Obama greets the family of Make-a-Wish child Diego Diaz, not pictured, before their visit to the Oval Office, June 23, 2011. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

*****

Washington Post: President Obama will announce Tuesday in a speech at Georgetown University that he plans to regulate greenhouse-gas emissions from existing power plants, according to individuals who have been briefed on the plan but asked not to be identified.

According to individuals familiar with the White House plan, who asked not to be identified since the president has yet to deliver his speech, Obama will couch the effort not only in terms of the nation’s domestic priorities, but as a way to meet the administration’s international pledge to reduce the country’s greenhouse-gas emissions 17 percent below 2005 levels.

More here

******

*******

What has Attorney General Eric Holder done lately? Oh…just this huge big freaking deal

US DOJ: The former chief executive officer of a Virginia-based security contracting firm was sentenced in the Eastern District of Virginia to 72 months in prison for creating a front company to obtain more than $31 million intended for disadvantaged small businesses and for bribing the former regional director for the National Capital Region of the Federal Protective Service (FPS) as part of the scheme. The front company obtained the contracts through the Small Business Administration’s (SBA) Section 8(a) program, which allows qualified small businesses to receive sole-source and competitive-bid contracts set aside for minority-owned and disadvantaged small businesses. Keith Hedman used his expertise gleaned from decades as a government contractor to cheat the system and steal tens of millions from minority-owned small business owners,” said Acting Assistant Attorney General Raman. “Today’s sentence shows that those who resort to deceit and bribery to secure federal contracts will be caught and held accountable.”

“Keith Hedman tried to game the system and take advantage of a government program designed to help minority-owned small businesses,” said U.S. Attorney Neil H. MacBride.  “He committed fraud, he undermined the trust of the U.S. government and this type of conduct will not be tolerated.  My office is committed to prosecuting those who cheat the government to the fullest extent of the law.” Keith Hedman, 53, of Arlington, Va., was sentenced today after pleading guilty to major government fraud and conspiracy to commit bribery on March 13, 2013. Hedman was also ordered to forfeit approximately $6.1 million.

More here

*****

5936647803_cd092c479a_b

First Lady Michelle Obama meets with Archbishop Desmond Tutu at the Cape Town Stadium in Cape Town, South Africa, June 23, 2011. Joining the First Lady are, from left: the First Lady’s niece Leslie Robinson, Malia Obama, Marian Robinson, the First Lady’s nephew Avery Robinson, and Sasha Obama. (Official White House Photo by Samantha Appleton)

******

It’s the weekend, so let the wonderful Henry Healy aka “Henry The Eighth” give you behind the scenes details of the week that was

*****

*****

5936648215_55cf5a81b0_b

First Lady Michelle Obama talks with young people at the U.S. Consulate meet and greet at the Table Bay Hotel in Cape Town, South Africa, June 23, 2011. (Official White House Photo by Samantha Appleton)

*****

SmartyPants: There are those who are trying to cast Edward Snowden’s actions as civil disobedience. I suspect that this argument will be intensified now that he has been charged under the Espionage Act by the DOJ. There is some acceptance among his supporters that he has broken the law. But they want to claim the mantle of it being an “unjust law” that requires civil disobedience.

I’m sure there are legal cases to be made on both sides of this claim. But the fact that Snowden fled to Hong Kong to avoid the consequences of his law breaking – more than anything else – disqualifies him from claiming that mantle.

More of this fantastic piece here

*****

5936648091_cb079dd5d7_b

First Lady Michelle Obama, joined by Marian Robinson, Sasha Obama and Malia Obama, tours the District 6 Museum in Cape Town, South Africa, June 23, 2011. (Official White House Photo by Samantha Appleton)

*****

Jennifer Medina: Granting any kind of access to health care for immigrants is becoming a focal point in the current Congressional debate, as many Republicans have said they would refuse to support change if it included providing care for immigrants who have been living in the country illegally. Representative Raúl R. Labrador of Idaho, for instance, walked out of bipartisan negotiations in the House, arguing that illegal immigrants should be denied emergency room care and that unpaid medical bills should become a deportable offense.

But not in California, where there are an estimated 2.6 million illegal immigrants. Here, public health officials, elected representatives and advocacy groups are going in the opposite direction, trying to cobble together ways to provide preventive care for such immigrants, who are expected to make up the largest share of the remaining uninsured once the state’s expanded Medicaid program takes full effect.

More here

******

5937200388_c57b5bf88a_b

President Barack Obama listens as Vice President Joe Biden makes a point during a meeting with the Democratic leadership in the Oval Office, June 23, 2011. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

*****

Welcome to delusional grandeur, Mitt Romney style. Still shaking my head in disgust that he didn’t prepare a concession speech; only a victory speech. That’s hubris.

Rick Klein et al.,: Though Mitt Romney’s candidacy never turned into a presidency, there was a temporary Romney White House complete with a fully operational staff who were building the blueprints for the early days of a Romney administration months before the election that decided his defeat. In this special edition of Top Line, the chair of the Romney transition efforts, Gov. Mike Leavitt, R-Utah, takes us on a tour of the White House that never was—where he says the Romney transition team built “a federal government in miniature.”

“If you had walked down these halls in the day before the election, you would see the State Department, the Treasury Department, the Department of Defense,” Leavitt says, standing inside what was the former transition headquarters in Washington, D.C. “A whole series of executive orders had been written,” he says. “There were regulations that were being developed. There was a list of things we wanted to change. There was a checklist. It was a tick-tock, if you will, of things we wanted to see unfold in a very orderly way.”

More here

******

5936642257_d9be35bdfd_b

President Barack Obama speaks to soldiers of the 10th Mountain Division during a visit to Fort Drum in New York, June 23, 2011. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

*****

President Obama’s America, is wonderful indeed

Trudy Ring: Eric Fanning, undersecretary of the Air Force, became acting secretary of the branch Friday with the retirement of Michael Donley, making Fanning the highest-ranking LGBT person in the Department of Defense. “President Obama is yet to nominate Donley’s replacement, so Fanning should be serving in the dual roles for a while,” notes BuzzFeed.

Eric_Fanning_insert_c_Washington_Blade_by_Michael_Key

The interim assignment makes Fanning the civilian head of the Air Force. The Senate confirmed him as undersecretary in April. Before that, he had been deputy undersecretary and deputy chief management officer for the Navy since 2009. His résumé also includes stints with communications firms, think tanks, and broadcast media, along with several political posts. He is a former Victory Fund board member and a donor to various LGBT causes.

“I left the Pentagon before the reelection [of President Clinton] and then didn’t come back until this administration when we had a president who said he was going to end it,” he told the Blade. “It was very difficult when we were getting to the end of the first two years and it wasn’t clear if we were going to be able to repeal ‘don’t ask, don’t tell.’ I didn’t know what I was going to do if we didn’t get the repeal through because some people couldn’t work because they were openly gay or lesbian.”

More here

******

5936647969_3648bcba01_b

First Lady Michelle Obama meets with Dr. Mamphela Ramphele at the University of Cape Town in Cape Town, South Africa, June 23, 2011. (Official White House Photo by Samantha Appleton)

******

5937200216_7772a69c38_b

President Barack Obama fist-bumps Make-a-Wish child Diego Diaz after reading a letter he wrote, during his visit in the Oval Office, June 23, 2011. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

*****

Have A Baracktastic and Michelleicious Day! :D

139 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. June 23, 2013 at 9:32 am

OK, I’ll leave a comment.

2. June 23, 2013 at 9:41 am

Thank yooooooooooooou UT, so much fantastic reading, megastar!!!!!!

3. June 23, 2013 at 9:43 am

June 23, 2013 at 9:48 am

You wake up and find out that a man who claims the U.S. is so anti-civil liberties fled to Hong Kong, then to Moscow and now Venezuela, But according to libertarians, emoprogs, Greenwaldians; he’s a “hero.” Because MLK and Rosa Parks did the same riiiiight? :roll:

He’s such a moron. America will get you. You are not a whistleblower; you are national security leaker who went further by spilling national security secrets to China and whoeverthefuckelse. You’re wanted man number one. Guess he didn’t learn when Pres. Obama said if you do harm to America, we will find you and we will bring you to justice. Exhibit A —-> Osama Bin Laden and other Al Qaida leaders.

5. June 23, 2013 at 9:49 am

Good Morning Chipsticks, TODers…Everyone!

UT, thanks for putting together another U-Terrific Rise and Shine! :-)

Hope everyone enjoys their Sunday.

6. 11 Bill
    June 23, 2013 at 9:50 am

MTP has the well known security expert, Carly Fiorina, discussing Snowden. Can the Sunday shows get any worse?

• 12 Jovie
      June 23, 2013 at 9:55 am

Bill, anytime a republican wants in the tv box, it pushes a button. At such time, a Limo picks them up at there house, with said talking points from David Koch.

7. 13 Linda
    June 23, 2013 at 9:51 am

TeaNN is showing liver coverage of the Moscow Airport arrival area.

8. 18 Jovie
    June 23, 2013 at 9:51 am

9. June 23, 2013 at 9:54 am

The U.S. has about 17 agencies in the intelligence community. I’m inclined to believe, if they really wanted Snowden, they would have him.

10. June 23, 2013 at 9:56 am

11. 26 jackiegrumbacher
    June 23, 2013 at 9:56 am

Thank you for the great R&S, UT. I hope the 2013 Africa trip is a productive and satisfying one for the president and his family. As for the Snowden pup, we need to possess ourselves in patience, as our president does. The diplomatic wheels will grind slowly, the wheels of justice will be inexorable. I refuse to make Snowden some romantic figure flying from one hole to another to escape his fate. He’s not worth spoiling a beautiful summer day. If Venezuela takes him or they shift him off to Cuba, his novelty will grow old very soon. These countries may enjoy thumbing their noses at the US, but ultimately the power of the American economy is a powerful persuasive tool. Being a superpower can be a great burden in this world, but it has it advantages when it comes to diplomatic chess playing.

12. June 23, 2013 at 9:56 am

June 23, 2013 at 9:59 am

Morning…I take a break for a day and I wake up to some snow hitting the fan? Honestly….I think that his choices of countries to run to is pretty telling….such freedom loving countries! China, Russia, Cuba, Venezuela! He was bogus from the beginning, this just help prove it.

• June 23, 2013 at 10:40 am

Morning Desertflower! I’m bringing this comment over from the last thread.

It is common knowledge that Senators Udall and Wyden have been moaning about these programs since 2005 or 2006. Why didn’t he go to them, first? Lacking the kind of response he wanted he then might have gone a step further.

It appears that he signed on to the NSA with the express purpose of gathering the information in order to pass it on. If he carried out a plan, that’s espionage, plain and simple…and he has co-conspirators.

For all I know, Mr. Snowden was set-up by an agency desperate to find leakers and it’s very possible he has nothing of any real consequence.

The sad story is that the media chooses to irresponsibly equate these programs with Cointelpro.

Finally, I do not put it past evildoers and anti-Obama factions to go to any extent to undermine his foreign policy achievements, to sully foreign relations and start a new war (I don’t buy the use of sarin in Syria either).

• 31 a4alice
        June 23, 2013 at 10:52 am

Huh. I just had a thought. Someone last thread (maybe you? I can’t remember now) made the quick comment about how this whole Snowden escapade is receiving so much attention from the msm. is this some shiny object for the world to look at while something else is happening? Just throwing it out there.

• June 23, 2013 at 11:02 am

I did say something to that effect. But we allow ourselves to be dragged into these insignificant tales that have no direct effect on our lives and that we cannot control. In the meantime, while everyone is bitching about transparency about a damned telephone number, Congress is giving away billions in insurance premiums to farmers and making it illegal to tell who receives the money. The right is allowed to keep harping about abortion as if people are clamoring to kill unborn babies, when the argument is really about reproductive rights and the ability to control one’s own body.

• 33 a4alice
            June 23, 2013 at 11:10 am

yep – I saw it posted below you brought it over. Yes those things you mentioned plus climate change that President Obama is going to be talking about on Tuesday are what to focus on.

• 34 Vicki
            June 23, 2013 at 11:31 am

YES YES YES, FayPax. That is right.
            Focus on Voting Rights.
            Repeal the Sequester.
            Roll out Obamacare.
            Begin large scale construction efforts to rebuild our country.

Never mind Snowflake, IRS, Benghazi, blah blah blah

• 35 nathkatun7
            June 23, 2013 at 5:42 pm

“We need to be laser focused on voting rights, the sequester, healthcare…eff Snowden.” I agree 100%!

14. June 23, 2013 at 10:03 am

‘Thank you’ and ‘Good Morning’, Utal!

‘Good Sunday Morning, all ye gathered here!’ Some of you already know if it was indeed a good Sunday morning, so I will wish YOU a “Good Sunday Evening!’ How is that?

June 23, 2013 at 10:05 am

Oh dear, WordPress is back to the ‘identify yourself and show ID, please’ stage. I was just here last night for crying out loud, you morAn!! :roll:

• 38 99ts
        June 23, 2013 at 10:08 am

I’ve always thought it was just me that WP hated – pleased to read I am not alone

• 39 amk for obama
        June 23, 2013 at 10:11 am

wp logins are valid for 24 hours only.

• June 23, 2013 at 10:16 am

:???: I didn’t know that :oops:

• 41 amk for obama
            June 23, 2013 at 10:23 am

some blog tyrant.. pshaw.

June 23, 2013 at 10:33 am

And as for YOU, Lady Mayor, don’t you think it’s time your loyal senior (as in length of time and frequency in the village; not in age) citizens be given security passes that eliminate the need for all this signing in? I mean, what about a virtual electronic card, or key? Or security clearance? Something even Snowden and his best bud GiGi wouldn’t be able to tamper with? Shouldn’t there be a side door that can be left open for sneaking in? Something that the techie-challenged wouldn’t be able to mess up?

• June 23, 2013 at 10:39 am

:lol: Moooooooorning VC!!!!! Security passes sound like a GREAT idea – where can I get them? :???:

June 23, 2013 at 10:47 am

Morning, Love! Apart from one or two irritating specimens on site, how’s your day going?

To answer your question – How should I know? In the words of a friend of mine…. ‘Some blog tyrant.. pshaw.’

• June 23, 2013 at 10:50 am

All’s fab, VC! Except I’m actually meant to be working …. as you can see: pshaw.

June 23, 2013 at 10:55 am

We need to find you a task master friend who will see that you work help you focus there, so that you can return to the village here soonest. Hmmmm. I wonder if Amk is available?

June 23, 2013 at 10:25 am

BUT, I was here faaar less than 24 hours ago!!!! IMO they ARE morAnic, and irritating!

• 49 amk for obama
            June 23, 2013 at 10:29 am

Did you close the firefox when you left? Did you tick ‘clear history when firefox closes’ in options?

Also. Too. websites not remembering you is a good thing.

June 23, 2013 at 10:42 am

I disabled my Firefox browser last week after I ‘fixed’ my laptop and started running into all kind of glitches. I’m waiting until I think the laptop has ‘forgotten’ that I was using Firefox [:lol: :lol: I can just see you rolling your eyes and shaking your head :lol: :lol: ] to reinstall it. And yes, I do see sites not remembering me as a good thing, except I want this one to remember me. I know, I know; I can’t always get what I want. I was checking recently for a not-too-expensive weekend get-away only to find that once I returned to TOD the entire right side of my screen was taken up with ads for flights, etc. AND I couldn’t turn them off as there was no visible ‘close’ button. Drove me nuts for a few days, so I hear you.

• 51 amk for obama
                June 23, 2013 at 10:51 am

firefox + adblock plus & adblockplus popup & element hiding helper for adblock plus add-ons = Zero ads nirvana

June 23, 2013 at 11:12 am

THANK you! Now do another good deed and remind me how to download Firefox before you go today. I think I’m almost ready to reinstall. Also. Too. Do I group your little formula above close together when I’m ready to try it? As in “firefox+adblock+&adblock…yada yada..”?

• June 23, 2013 at 10:27 am

I think it’s more like every couple of weeks.

June 23, 2013 at 10:03 am

• 55 99ts
      June 23, 2013 at 10:10 am

UT – I read that there was a “special” sitting to pass this abomination – how/why do they have “special” sessions – it sure reads like the dark ages.

June 23, 2013 at 10:15 am

Palestinian PM Rami Hamdallah’s resignation accepted

Just 2 weeks. The dood is worse than tundra twit.

17. 57 Jovie
    June 23, 2013 at 10:16 am

LOL! Greenwald got a gig on MTP just now.
    You gotta be kidding me?
    If this was bush administration -Gregory and others would be livid.
    Just saying!

18. 58 dotster3
    June 23, 2013 at 10:18 am

I did have to LOL at this

June 23, 2013 at 10:20 am

So how many “live blogs” on snowdenfreedumbflight are going on at dkos ?

20. June 23, 2013 at 10:22 am

21. 63 Layla
    June 23, 2013 at 10:23 am

Good morning everyone!!! This story is going at the speed of smell!

22. 64 Linda
    June 23, 2013 at 10:25 am

If he tries to go to Cuba will/can our Air Force force the plane to land in the USA ?

June 23, 2013 at 10:29 am

Spread the word.

24. June 23, 2013 at 10:34 am

25. 75 Bill
    June 23, 2013 at 10:34 am

CBS is reporting Snowden got off the plane and into a car on the runway.

• June 23, 2013 at 10:40 am

I’m also seeing that he was given a physical exam by an Ecuadorean doctor in the airport.

• 77 Bill
        June 23, 2013 at 10:47 am

It was convenient an Ecuadorean doctor was hanging around the Moscow airport. What a wild string of events.

• 78 sherijr
        June 23, 2013 at 11:20 am

LOL Meta…. What’s next? Deep frying Velveeta sticks with Paula Deen in the Peruvian jungle?

June 23, 2013 at 10:38 am

June 23, 2013 at 10:38 am

Jon Favreau for the win.

28. June 23, 2013 at 10:42 am

I’m bringing this over from the last thread too, because I think it bears repeating.

Snowden just doesn’t deserve all this attention. All he did was rehash old news and verify what any thinking person should have already known. As far as foreign countries are concerned, he just removed America’s ability to deny the scope of it’s cyber-tactics.

He belongs in a dustbin of damnation along with Cheney, Palin and the rest of the right wing crazies.

June 23, 2013 at 10:43 am

Tommy Vietor for the win.

30. 84 whatisworking
    June 23, 2013 at 10:45 am

Good Morning TOD

Weekly update from our OFA team

This week was devoted to immigration reform. Tuesday we had a phone bank that called locally and into a Republican district that voted for PBO. We recruited folks to come to “the Dream is Now” watch parties or to volunteer for the teams. On Thursday we had a local watch party where we planned “next steps” for working on immigration locally. In the Republican district they also had a watch party which was attended by 2 representatives from their Congressman’s office. Saturday we had a training at my house where we learned about Facebook, Twitter, and doing Virtual Phone banks from home.

If you are not yet a part of an OFA team, take that next step, go to http://barackobama.com and sign up, if you don’t hear from someone within a week, send me an email and I can make sure someone contacts you. whatisworking@gmail.com

If you are working with OFA -share your stories here so we can be inspired.

Thanks to everyone here at TOD. The resources at this site are just amazing. You are my online family…

• 85 a4alice
      June 23, 2013 at 10:59 am

Linda a hearty thanks for the work you are doing helping the Presidents agenda move #FORWARD. I’m excited about his speech that he will give on Tuesday regarding climate change!

• 86 sjterrid
      June 23, 2013 at 12:56 pm

I’m going to have a phone bank at my house on Tuesday night for immigration reform. We are calling our new senator, Gov .Christie’s replaced Sen Lautenberg with a Republican, to make sure he passes CIR.

• 87 donna dem 4 obama
      June 23, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Hi Linda,

I’ll be phone banking for Ed Markey on Monday.

• 88 whatisworking
      June 23, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Thanks to all who shared what they will be doing. And thanks to all who ere just a bit more tempted to work with OFA, take the plunge, you will never regret it.

31. 89 Claire
    June 23, 2013 at 10:46 am

Ha! Rand Paul telling the traitor snowden not to cozy up with Moscow… too late.

And maybe Rand ought to educate himself on the politics in Iceland.

32. 90 Nena20409
    June 23, 2013 at 10:48 am

Arise, Arose, Arisen.

GM Fabulous, Brilliant TODville Villagers.

So now, the Snowden Leaker who ran to Hong Kong, China is now to Russia with Love? Wow…..Isn’t that treasonous?

June 23, 2013 at 10:50 am

34. 93 carolyn
    June 23, 2013 at 10:58 am

It’s amazing to me that Snowden thought that Russia would enable his freedom. He obviously is ill educated, knowing nothing of Russia’s history. Russia has been a secretive, repressive state since the days of the Tsars. The Tsar’s secret police were feared all over the world, and the Soviet KGB was unbelievably awful. Putin still uses them. So…..his choices absolutely contradict any statements he’s made about freedom and civil rights, and impingement of those by the U.S.
    I still think the Administration is letting this play out, because there are more fish to catch than Snowden. I am hoping for a series of simultaneous arrests within the next two days. Who else, I don’t know, but I firmly believe Snowden is part of a conspiracy to commit treason, and the administration wants the people BEHIND Snowden more than they want Snowden.

• 94 kathryn kivett
      June 23, 2013 at 11:02 am

GM all….yep, follow the money…who is paying for all of this?…..His 3 month salary, $30,000 before taxes etc?…Where is his money, bank, AMX, strapped to him?….

35. June 23, 2013 at 11:00 am

• June 23, 2013 at 11:14 am

The white conservatives sitting on the Supreme Court are no different from the ones sitting in Congress and in legislatures throughout this country. They have an agenda too. Afterall, they could have turned down the affirmative action and voting rights cases, since they just rendered decisions on them 6 years ago. But the composition of the court was different then. They take the cases they “want” to affect.

36. 97 Jovie
    June 23, 2013 at 11:03 am

37. 99 a4alice
    June 23, 2013 at 11:04 am

many interesting convo’s on twitter. Here’s one – drudge is getting the hammer:

• 100 a4alice
      June 23, 2013 at 11:06 am

oh darn. that didn’t put in some of the other push back he’s getting. sorry. Well suffice it to say people aren’t letting D get away with his tweet.

38. June 23, 2013 at 11:07 am

Snowden is a pathetic narcissist putting on an utterly transparent, fun house mirror facade. Putin is a shamless hyper-narcissist. Hmmmm, too bad Kim Jung IL isn’t around to join the party!

39. 102 sherijr
    June 23, 2013 at 11:11 am

good morning smart TOD people ~ Happy Sunday.

So I read this story this morning on msn.com : http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/06/22/19094324-hundreds-rally-in-idaho-in-support-of-captive-us-soldier?lite Hundreds rally in Idaho in Support of captive US soldier

This is about the parents of the soldier who has been held captive by the Taliban since Dec 2008- the one the Taliban is willing to trade for 5 of our gitmo prisoners. However, in the article there is a quote from repub Saxby Chambliss calling the soldier a “deserter” and a quote from John McCain refusing to trade 5 “murderers” for one soldier. Yep, seriously.

POTUS has has never publicly commented about the soldier.. but Jay Carney has said this: White House press secretary Jay Carney maintained this week that President Obama and the White House are doing everything in their power to bring Bergdahl home and that his rescue remains a top priority. “There should be no doubt that on a daily basis, we are continuing to pursue using our military intelligence and diplomatic tools in the effort to return him safely,” he said in a White House briefing.

And YET, the parents of this soldier have only nasty things to say about President Obama … : “[Obama] has never contacted us,” Jani Bergdahl told The New York Times. “We haven’t gotten a Hallmark card, we haven’t gotten a note signed by an aide, nothing. Is it because he thinks we’re not Democrats?”

AND THIS is why I have zero respect for republicans… here we have a sad story about parents grieving for 4 years for their son.. who was kidnapped while Bush was President… who Republican congressmen have referred to as a deserter- who refuse to ‘trade’ with the Taliban to bring this soldier home… and Yet these same parents are still apparently proud to be republicans and can’t wait to say nasty crappy things about President Obama.

I’m sick of the Snowdens, the wiki-leaks, the Paula Deans, the Ron/ Rand Pauls lying, racist malarkey. FedUP. ALLL of this Sh*t is about racism – all of it.

• 103 sherijr
      June 23, 2013 at 11:12 am

oh and Greenwald.

• June 23, 2013 at 11:25 am

With all due respect, while I can appreciate the parents concern…why would they expect a call from the President? First, their son is a grown man, more importantly…he’s a soldier. The President doesn’t make contact with parents whose sons are killed in battle. Enough already!

• 111 sherijr
        June 23, 2013 at 11:30 am

because they are typical entitled repubs- who make every single thing this President does or doesn’t do- personal.

When we had a truly rotten president in Bush- running this country into the trash heap- I do not remember the lies, the personal complaints. The constant attacks on this President have every single thing to do with race.. not just to put obstacles in his way- but to put a huge obstacle in the way of America ever electing another person of color as President. Don’t even get me started on the constant push lately for ‘Hillary’- when this President has 3.5 years left in his second term.

• June 23, 2013 at 12:35 pm

I am right with you on all of this, sherijr! And the more they push Hillary down my throat, the less I want her. Everyone needs to focus on supporting THIS president and the 2014 elections. It’s as though they elected PBO as a place-holder for her, instead of because he is an intelligent, insightful, compassionate, open, honest, straightforward, hard-working, ethical, loving person.

• 113 sherijr
            June 23, 2013 at 2:20 pm

that’s a very good way to describe it mary: Obama as ‘placeholder’ – which is hogwash.. because those of us who elected him TWICE- rejected Hillary as the nominee and embraced President Obama. He’s been an awesome President, agree with you totally- and I think of how much more he could accomplish without all the obstacles the right and even some on the left continue to place in his way.

• 114 a4alice
              June 23, 2013 at 3:02 pm

/\ /\ THIS /\ /\ make no mistake. PBO is the best President in my lifetime. I’m actually dreading the day that he will no longer be the President.

• 115 sherijr
                June 23, 2013 at 3:21 pm

me too alice.. I intend to make every minute of the next 3.5 years count- I will stand up for him every step of the way.

• 116 debz
      June 23, 2013 at 11:31 am

I am sick of hearing about all these people too. In the meantime, republicans are taking away women’s rights as human beings and making poor people starve, and abusing the rights of most Americans. Instead of playing where’s waldo with Snowjob, the “liberal media” should be screaming about what the gop is doing.

• 117 sherijr
        June 23, 2013 at 11:36 am

the media doesn’t care about our rights.. they love to build up certain individuals- to make heroes out of the whackjobs… think Sarah Palin, et al. I notice msn.com wrote an article about poor Paul Dean’s pooor fans. gimmeabreak.

The rights of women- in Texas, our voting rights, health care for Immigrants- the ‘media’ doesn’t go after those stories because they are run by, paid by, owned by : Republicans. The only time media concerns themselves with women/people of color/immigrants is when they can demean them in some way- they especially love when one of them commits a crime. Just think if Snowden was a black or Mexican woman/man.

40. 119 4morefor44
    June 23, 2013 at 11:24 am

if this is accurate, sure seems like its rehearsed! would explain a lot, wouldn’t it?

• 120 Nena20409
      June 23, 2013 at 11:28 am

Greenwald Tears Into David Gregory: With Newsmen Like You, ‘Who Needs Government To Criminalize Reporting?’
      “If you want to embrace that theory,” Greenwald continued, “it means that every investigative journalist in the United States who works with their sources, who receives classified information, is a criminal. It’s precisely those theories and precisely that climate that has become so menacing in the United States. It’s why the New Yorker’s Jane Mayer said investigative reporting has come to a standstill, as a result of the questions you just mentioned.”

Gregory was very unhappy at being personally implicated in Greenwald’s answer. “The question of who’s a journalist may be up for debate, in regards to what you’re doing” Gregory said. “Anybody who’s watching this understands that I was asking a question. That question has been raised by lawmakers, as well. I’m not embracing anything. But obviously I take your point.”

• 121 arapaho415
        June 23, 2013 at 11:40 am

Maybe we at TOD are getting our wish.

Boehner’s GOP is in full civil war mode and now our lamestream media may be joining them. How long will apologists like @Ron_Fournier and @ChrisLHayes keep siding with a fugutive traitor?

• June 23, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Same old narcissist/Republican tactic: blame the other guy for the things you do. If anyone has given journalism a black eye it’s Greenwald. Gregory isn’t great and he dances with Karl Rove, but at least he hasn’t enabled a traitor.

• 123 arapaho415
      June 23, 2013 at 11:43 am

I don’t think it’s rehearsed.

GG is too much of an egomanic to cooperate with those who don’t support his vendetta against our President.

MSM’s knee-jerk reaction:

41. 125 lisalovesobama
    June 23, 2013 at 11:25 am

I am more than slightly amused by the Snowjob “escape.” The idea that the CIA/FBI and god knows what other covert surveillance teams we have, haven’t been watching and following Snowjob is ridiculous. Wherever he goes we are following him. We might not say anything, but those guys are following him like a motherfucker, because he is a motherfucker. He’s fucked over his mother country. PBO and the DOJ won’t say anything newsworthy about him in public, but in private, boy are they going to get him. By extradition or by having the CIA nab him once hes reached his final destination and begins to feel safe and sound. Fucker. His life is over.

• 126 sabreen60
      June 23, 2013 at 11:41 am

I totally agree. And the idiot Greenwald needs to keep going on TV and keep talking. One thing about narcissist is that they crave attention. Greenwald and Snowden have made this story about them. But they are so full of themselves that they can’t see how others view them. Of course their sycophants love them, but everybody else feels they are cringe worthy. I have heard those who believe that the NSA is the devil’s own handiwork still believe that Snowden is scum.

42. 127 a4alice
    June 23, 2013 at 11:26 am

A really good post from Milt Shook:

• 128 4morefor44
      June 23, 2013 at 11:40 am

that is good. thanks!

• 129 whatisworking
      June 23, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Another reason to come to TOD daily – there are always positive stories – which I swipe for my blog – and which I email to my OFA team each week. Many team members tell me the encouraging stories of victory help keep them going for the long haul.

43. 130 Nena20409
    June 23, 2013 at 11:30 am

The very 1st picture on this post…..wow, the little tyke is so focused, engaged and he almost looked like he has known POTUS all his little life. Just Lovely.

44. 131 lisalovesobama
    June 23, 2013 at 11:34 am

BREAKING NEWS: Just In from former Governor of Alaska, Sarah Palin: ” I can see Snowden in Russia from my house!” News at 11.

45. 132 4morefor44
    June 23, 2013 at 11:36 am

that eric fanning news is really something. “don’t ask, don’t tell” was still in place when president obama came into office, and now we have a secretary of the navy who is openly gay. of course to white privilege progressives, that means they’ll probably start yelling at first granny marian robinson next time she’s at an event of some kind.

46. 133 arapaho415
    June 23, 2013 at 11:37 am

47. 134 a4alice
    June 23, 2013 at 11:39 am

48. June 23, 2013 at 11:40 am

49. 137 sherijr
    June 23, 2013 at 11:46 am

Oh and … Cousin Henry = Community Activist. Well done ~ its in your blood :)

50. 138 HZ
    June 23, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Good Morning and Afternoon to my Chips and my TOD family. Beautiful day here, and I hope all of you are enjoying your Sun., morning/afternoon.

We are going to get through all of this. Now, who is in the Oval Office? Right, I thought so. President Barack Obama. Remember the beautiful post that UT put up of the “Team of Men and Women” at his side? And who are those we worked so hard, (because we believe in him, trust him, and support him for cleaning up all of this crap), We The People. We give him Hope. That keeps him moving and pressing on.

No, hell no, we are not giving up; we are not leaving him alone; we are not going to sit home in 2014; and we will Not be discouraged. Yes, we will get frustrated with all the crazy crapheads, but that is not the picture that POB is looking at. We are POB’s hope, so let us remember we are the engine that keeps going with this President. He knows who is on his side. Believe me.

Garner your space, take a deep breath, and lift up POB and VP Biden and show off our accomplishments, and let these crap heads know that we are going to help POB make more great accomplishments. We are doing this. These s… heads Are Not!!!

I watched POB’s Acceptance Speech at the 2012 Convention (again last evening)., and it gave me more hope. Listen to our leader. Move FORWARD with him. Yes, we know all of the evils of the crap being thrown at this President that has NEVER been thrown at ANY POTUS before, but we move Together with a focus that will blind these naysayers and evildoers. We Have To.

We are here for POB and he knows that. I love the comments of all of the conversations this morning, but you know what gives this little senior hope? You all!!!!!!! You are engaged with powerful messages, thoughtful resolutions to problems; great support for other issues all within our fifty states that these foolish men and women are putting on women etc. but you are still focused. So stay focused, please. We know the pulse of the people, the issues, and darn it, we are going to move with grace, patience, and hard work to make sure POB has a 3.5 years in his second term to PREVAIL. Count on it!!!! (((((((((((((( I love you all))))))))) Now, I better get downstairs and get some oatmeal and blueberries with my fresh peppermint tea. HZ