Jan

evening all

President Barack Obama talks with Tina Tchen, Chief of Staff to the First Lady, on the Colonnade of the White House, Jan. 10, 2012. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

President Barack Obama greets the crowd during a visit to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in Washington, Jan. 10

Greg Sargent: Newt Gingrich unleashes an absolutely brutal new ad in South Carolina ripping Romney’s previous moderation and flip flops on social issues, another sign of Newt’s determination to tear Romney down:

Jonathan Cohn: Forget Mitt Romney’s verbal gaffes for a moment. Something more important has happened in the last few days. The linchpin of Romney’s most powerful argument has turned out to be bogus.

I’m talking about Romney’s claim about job creation – specifically, that Obama lost 2 million jobs as president while Romney, as a leader of Bain Capital, created 100,000 jobs. It’s taken a few weeks, and what seems like a few hundred posts by the indefatigable Greg Sargent, to get the media to focus on this claim. But now they are. And it turns out to be even more laughable than it appeared upon initial inspection.

Here’s the story, in case you haven’t read it elsewhere:

From the get-go, Romney’s argument was weak. Among the many flaws: Romney calculates the Obama era job losses by using, as a baseline, the employment rate as of January, 2009, when Obama first took office. That’s absurd. The economy was in free-fall when Obama took over….

Full article here

The Week

Ha, thanks for the memory nintendowii10!

OFA: “I had that deer-in-the-headlights look – these kinds of things just don’t happen to me.”

That’s how Kathie, a Head Start teacher for special-needs kids, felt when she got the call about being one of four campaign supporters to sit down to a meal with President Obama.

…. “…. the conversation just flowed. He asked about our families and what was happening in our area, and the work that we do. The President ordered a burger and fries, a spinach salad, and iced tea. And then the waiter came to me and I was thinking, ‘How am I going to eat?’ But the President was so warm and considerate – he offered us some of his fries! And I thought, ‘This is the leader of the free world.’

More here

304 Responses to “evening all”

1. 1 nintendowii10
    January 10, 2012 at 6:44 pm

And thus it’s going down to the wire!

2. 3 COS
    January 10, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Hey Chipsticks, I just popped a big bag of popcorn for these useless pundits. I have my mute button close by.

3. 6 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    January 10, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Carlyle founders reap more than $134M each in 2011

By Thomas Heath, Updated: Tuesday, January 10, 6:20 PM

The three founders of The Carlyle Group each earned more than $134 million in salary, bonus and income last year, confirming the widely held view that the intensely private buyout firm was as profitable for its owners as it was for its clients in 2011.

The release of the numbers, filed Tuesday in documents with the Securities and Exchange Commission, comes after Carlyle closed out one of its most profitable years ever, returning $15 billion to clients in the first three quarters.

*** snip***

The executives’ earnings become public during an election year in which many have attacked the growing income chasm between the nation’s wealthy and the middle and poorer classes. President Obama has used economic fairness as a mantra during debates with Republican lawmakers over raising taxes on the affluent to avoid budget cutbacks in crucial services for the needy and to push through an extension of the payroll tax credit and unemployment benefits. Occupy Wall Street demonstrators across the country have been protesting that too much of the country’s resources are held by the richest one percent of its citizens.

more —> http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/carlyle-founders-reap-more-than-134m-each-in-2011/2012/01/10/gIQADze1oP_story.html

4. January 10, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Why on earth is Mrs-o.com promoting the Kantor book????

• 8 Janelle
      January 10, 2012 at 6:54 pm

I was thinking the same thing…as well as promoting Sherrod’s Brown’s wife’s review—who still wants her WH residence tour to report on all the furnishings and artwork so she can write an article about it with price tags included.

January 10, 2012 at 6:55 pm

The site owner is naive?

• January 10, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Maybe, hopefruit. I actually had no problem with the early extracts I read from the book, but some of the other stuff since ….. pure ugly, what a nasty agenda Kantor has. Depressing.

January 10, 2012 at 7:02 pm

And she doubled down on the nastiness and arrogance with tweets throughout the day.

• 12 LadyTNT
          January 10, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Chips, she says she’s not promoting the book because she hasn’t read but because its dealing with Mrs. O she thought she should recognize it. Plus she didn’t find anything wrong with the article. She felt like many others that it reaffirmed her thoughts about Mrs. O being a strong woman and protecting her family.

• January 10, 2012 at 8:25 pm

I felt that way too about the earlier extracts, but some of the later stuff I read just struck me as the usual smear job on the First Lady, lots of nasty gossip purely designed to make her seem ‘uppity’. Just my take, so I won’t be promoting the book here.

• 14 LadyTNT
              January 10, 2012 at 11:51 pm

I completely understand and agree and I didn’t like the article because I knew people were going to try to use it against the FL.

• 15 Pamela
        January 10, 2012 at 7:34 pm

“I have not read the book, and I don’t intend to.” Me, either.

• January 11, 2012 at 3:49 am

I have read the book Pamela and it really was the biggest waste of time. A well meaning friend bought it for me as a Christmas present as I collect all things ‘Obama’ (all things positive on the Obamas should I say) and it was just like reading a trashy tabloid rag. In parts it felt like an even bigger piece of fiction than my own novel I have just finished, so far removed from the image I have of First Lady Michelle Obama who I admire greatly.

• 17 terim
        January 10, 2012 at 8:29 pm

I am surprised at the Mrs. O site. I left a post asking that they stop promoting the books. Kantor is a nasty piece of work, and I will not contribute to her pocketbook or notoriety.

• 18 Canuck Joyce
      January 10, 2012 at 9:30 pm

I know right?

I’m not going there anymore and I have been a daily loyal visitor since the blog started in 2008.

I don’t have any patience now for people who are Obamas’ supporters but feel the need to open their arms to the other side. I have had it!
      Mrs-o.com owner had her life completely blessed by her supporting and following FLOTUS fashion but I guess that’s not enough!!! I remember when she used to defend Robin Givhan’s condescending take on MO style.

Anyway, Chipsticks has the best pictures of FLOTUS here! Barack’s pictures are the ice on the cake 😉

• 19 JC Africa
      January 11, 2012 at 8:14 am

I know, right!! Was so furious, coz I’m a poster (Joss) over there. Vented my displeasure even gave a link from here to rebut, but they weren’t having any of it. been in a fit of rage since then; so disappointed!

5. 20 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    January 10, 2012 at 6:49 pm

FUNNY TO WATCH..MANY VOTERS CERTAINLY NOT HAPPY W/ THEIR FIELD OF CHOICES…ONLY ONE OBJECTIVE HERE…THEY WANT TO OUST PBO…DAFFY DUCK AND GOOFY COULD BE ON THE BALLOT AND THEY’D PICK ONE! ACTUALLY THEY ALREADY ARE ON THE BALLOT. THEY SHOULD JUST PLAY ‘PIN THE TAIL ON THE ELEPHANT’ BLINDFOLDED! HAH! SAME RESULTS. PBO IS AN OUTSTANDING PRESIDENT…AND HE WILL BE HERE FOR 4 MORE YEARS! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

6. January 10, 2012 at 6:50 pm

The general election is a long way off. My only worry is voter suppression. 😦

• 22 SUE DUVALL SMITH
      January 10, 2012 at 6:52 pm

THAT’S GOING TO BE THE BIGGEST PROBLEM…BECAUSE THE GOP HAS NO OTHER CARDS TO PLAY…’CHEATING’ IS THEIR FAVORITE GAME!

• January 11, 2012 at 3:58 am

And a game they seem to excel at Sue!! But as PBO said so eloquently during the 2008 campaign – “Nothing can stand in the way of millions of voices calling for change”. We need him in for another 4 years to protect the changes he has already brought to the world and for him to continue his great work. If we can get him a democratic congress it would be incredible to see what could be achieved.

We cannot allow the Great Oppressive Party to take the White House by scheming, cheating and voter suppression.

Obama/Biden 2012!!!!”

• 24 nintendowii10
      January 10, 2012 at 6:53 pm

I’m certain that the DNC and OFA are already on top of things. And let’s be honest, the enthusiasm for this Republican field amongst Republican voters is painstakingly low. Also add that South Carolina, Texas, and other redstates are in play, and things look good for PBO re election.

• 25 SUE DUVALL SMITH
        January 10, 2012 at 6:57 pm

THINGS LOOK GREAT FOR PBO ON RE-ELECTION FROM THINKING,COMMON SENSE PEOPLE. I DON’T WANT A MIDTERM REPEAT! IT’S THE NON-THINKERS THAT BOTHER ME!

January 10, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Obama was not on the ballot in 2010. How many voters even know (or care) who their rep is? Particularly the young ones who don’t vote in midterms?

• 27 utaustinliberal
            January 11, 2012 at 5:34 pm

I know right? And it’s such a shame. Voting is a privilege and an obligation that should be undertaken everytime with the utmost seriousness.

• 28 nathkatun7
      January 11, 2012 at 1:46 am

That’s exactly my concern too! Especially for states like New Hampshire, Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Florida, Indiana and Ohio, which the President must win.

7. January 10, 2012 at 6:51 pm

I gotta repost this from the other thread. This has me burning.

Ok, I was over at Andrew Sullivan’s blog where they are trying to clean up Mitt Romney’s Bain Capital mess by saying that he was very successful in his role at Bain Capital.

I’m not arguing that Romney wasn’t successful in his role in Bain. The beneficiary investors as well as the Bain company men’s stock portfolios and bank accounts rose because of it. Its why he has money to burn like a California forest fire. The point is, is that Mitt Romney is using his experience to say that he was a job creator and that his role at Bain Capital gives him more credence on the economy than President Obama, because he was able to create more jobs doing this than what the President is doing now. Yes, his investors raked in a huge profit and rebuilt their companies. THATS NOT THE POINT!!! He did it at the expense of firing many workers, putting them in the unemployment line. It might be “good” for business, but it was bad for those hometown economies where they worked and those people whose livelihoods were gone.

Two, if his success at Bain makes him a “credible president” as that “far left” commenter in the article above says, why is it that he didn’t have a successful term as Governor of Massachusetts? This isn’t some case that this was just a liberal state and Romney was the first Republican Governor; the office had been held by Republicans since 1991. That would probably bolster his case had he left the Governor’s Mansion with gargantuan popularity, a state that was not 47th in job creation, ran for reelection and won a second term in 2006, or not bludgeoned his Lt.Governor with so much taint, that she couldn’t win in her own right against Deval Patrick in 2006.

Mitt Romney is running for president of the United States. That’s laid down. This is what we know. He is trying to run as this anti-wallstreet everyday joe who cares about you. He has a large history of not caring about anyone else. Right now, we are dealing with a nation which has an 8.5% unemployment rate where Millennial Graduates and Baby Boomers who should be retiring with pensions right now are clashing. I know that the establishment wants to clean up these attacks, but a guy born into wealth, who doesn’t know a damn thing about losing a job, who tells people that government shouldn’t help anyone but those at the top with tax cuts and unregulated capitalism which got us in this mess is not going to fare well with voters. Damn spot, and full stop. Does anyone disagree with me on this, because that article really got me hyped up.

8. January 10, 2012 at 6:51 pm

What kind of exit polls are these?

25% like grey skies.
    21% like the Moon.
    85% like ice cream.
    14% like Oscar Meyer.
    As a result, they extrapolated, a big night for Robney!

9. January 10, 2012 at 6:54 pm

• 36 Cathy from MN
      January 10, 2012 at 7:15 pm

I absolutely love her reflection on this meeting; how real and what a wonderful meeting. We have a great President!

10. 37 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    January 10, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Our4thEstate Bobfr
    America – “The linchpin of Romney’s most powerful argument has turned out to be bogus.” http://t.co/i7fWrgXM @MittRomney = 0 #YouAreFired

#PRESSON

11. 38 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    January 10, 2012 at 6:55 pm

WE WILL HAVE VOTERS THIS YEAR JUST OUT TO OUST PBO…THEY WILL SETTLE FOR WHOEVER THE CANDIDATE HAPPENS TO BE! WE DEMS. HAVE TO LACE UP OUR COMBAT BOOTS AND SEE THAT EVERYONE GETS OUT TO VOTE AND EAGLE EYE THE POSSIBILITIES OF MANY TRICKS BEING PLAYED BY THE REPUBS!

12. 39 anniebella
    January 10, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Did anyone catch the few seconds of Michelle Obama interview with Gayle King on CBS Nightly News?

13. January 10, 2012 at 6:58 pm

14. January 10, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Believe it or not, CNN has better coverage than MSN-Bain-C!

15. January 10, 2012 at 7:05 pm

No Axelrod, Gibbs etc!

16. 45 CTGirl
    January 10, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Oh yeah, POTUS has a problem connecting with people! Right!

• 48 Bill
      January 10, 2012 at 7:17 pm

What a woman!

January 10, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Thank you Chipsticks. My take from what FLOTUS said was once again it was making Jodi Kantor to look like a liar, someone who has a great imagination, and she used every ounce of it too.

January 10, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Excellent. That’s my First Lady!

• 52 Brit
      January 10, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Great clip, what she said about them talking to each other about various things is what the media dislikes about the Obamas. Pres. O trusts his wife and she trusts her man. She’s not a stepford wife.

• January 10, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Whooops. There it is. You don’t fatten frogs for snakes!

• 56 dotster3
      January 10, 2012 at 7:50 pm

I should have been watching CBS instead of local NBC Chicago news, who for the 2nd night in a row reported about the book in a “bombshell” manner. Tonight they had the shocking news of the super secret lavish Halloween Party, where everyone was kept in the dark because of the excess at a time of bad economy. It is so infuriating and frustrating. I tweeted with the truth and asked them to correct the info, but I won’t hold my breath.

January 10, 2012 at 8:19 pm

It was a Halloween party for the military families and D.C. local kids. This whole B.S. about this so call secret Halloween party shows that some people are trying to stir up trouble. What is wrong with doing something for the military families? This just shows that the book is a hack job by some two bit wanna be author, and the sorry ass media is playing right along with it.

• January 10, 2012 at 7:51 pm

That’s what I’m talking about.

• 59 Canuck Joyce
      January 10, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Thank you Chips!
      I love Michelle Obama, even more than PBO, is that possible?

Michelle, may the angels of Pure Love protect you and your beautiful family and may they build a shield of love around you and go with you wherever you go.
      You and your family are held dear in the hearts of billions of people around the world! Please be at peace.

17. 60 LOL
    January 10, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Must read.

First, he’s correct to say that the quote was taken out of context. But it’s hard to have sympathy for a man who aired an ad that unapologetically took an Obama quote out of context to make it appear like the president had said, “If we keep talking about the economy, we’re going to lose.”

Second, Romney’s explanation of the “firing” quote exacerbated the damage. He dismissed the suggestion that “I should spend my entire campaign carefully choosing how everything I say relates to people.”

Right, you wouldn’t want a president who chooses his words carefully and tries to relate to people. After months of running the best presidential campaign of the cycle, one week in New Hampshire brought out Romney’s worst.

Great Article. http://decoded.nationaljournal.com/2012/01/new-hampshire-exposes-frontrun.php?mrefid=freehplead_1

• January 10, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Excellent points! I was thinking the same about the karma factor of Romney feeling the heat about his statement “taken out of context” after defending that blatant lie that he put out about President Obama quoting the very man who is now endorsing Romney. Besides, the statement taken in context doesn’t make it better – he still said he enjoys firing people, and he still didn’t make a point that negates what President Obama allows in his health care bill. If people want to change doctors of insurance companies – they can! Lastly, I thought Romney sounded like he was all about Mitt Romney during this NH leg of the primaries – in his statement about wanting the people to make *him* win big (not their movement), and then saying that he doesn’t want to spend time thinking about how his words relate to people. He’s a very cold, dangerous man seeking the power to rule the world.

18. 62 Brit
    January 10, 2012 at 7:15 pm

I agree with Chris Matthews, Newt is going to fight Mitt to the end as long as he has money to do so.

19. January 10, 2012 at 7:19 pm

January 10, 2012 at 7:20 pm

NH Primary Results So Far (with 2 out of 301 or 1% of the precincts reporting):

1. Romney – 37% (7 votes)
    2. Paul – 26% (5 votes)
    3. Huntsman – 21% (4 votes)
    4. Gingrich – 11% (2 votes)
    5. Perry – 5% (1 vote)

Exit polls(real)-

Independents voted for-

Romney. 29%
    Paul. 29%
    Huntsman. 25%

January 10, 2012 at 7:31 pm

UPDATE: NH Primary Results So Far (with 3 out of 301 or 1% of the precincts reporting):

1. Romney – 38% (616 votes)
    2. Paul – 23% (370 votes)
    3. Huntsman – 16% (261 votes)
    4. Gingrich – 11% (184 votes)
    6. Santorum – 9% (153 votes)
    6. Write-ins– 1% (9 votes)

26. 80 halo
    January 10, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Ron Paul is such a thorn in the side of the entire country. I can’t believe he’s in 2nd place. He’s Mitt ROBnye’s best friend.

January 10, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Evening, all 🙂 This is self explanatory

ANALYSIS: GOP Candidates’ Tax Cuts For The Rich Are Up To 270 Times Larger Than Their Tax Cuts For The Middle Class

have we heard from MtMarilyn on how her husband did with his surgery today??

28. January 10, 2012 at 7:38 pm

All that praise fromsnbc about Huntsman, it looks Luke he will Lise bad.
    Republicans dont like him!

January 10, 2012 at 7:40 pm

There doesn’t seem to be the “surge” that the MSM kept harping on – he’s now pulling 3rd with 4% reporting.

• January 10, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Oh there’s a “surge,” hopefruit, but you won’t hear the MSM reporting on this:

Big Growth in Democrats’ Small Donors
        By Bob Biersack & Viveca Novak on January 5, 2012 1:20 PM

With all the attention focused on the GOP presidential horserace coming out of the Iowa caucuses, there are plenty of political stories going untold in the naked city. One of the biggest may be the success the Democrats’ congressional fundraising arms have had with small donors.

Contributors of $200 or less gave a total of $21.5 million to the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC) through November 2011, up from $13.2 million during the same period in 2009, according to research by the Center for Responsive Politics. That’s a gain of 62 percent. And the DCCC overall has actually raised more than $4 million more this year than it did two years earlier.

Read more: http://www.opensecrets.org/news/2012/01/the-bigger-role-of-small-donors.html

29. January 10, 2012 at 7:38 pm

BAM!!!!!!!! This. All of this.

Governments are not corporations

Posted By Daniel W. Drezner Tuesday, January 10, 2012 – 2:24 PM

The New York Times’ Roger Cohen files an optimistic column today, arguing that predictions of American decline are premature. I tend to agree with Cohen’s sentiment but not his logic because, well, it’s God-awful. Here’s the key bits:

Perhaps the most successful U.S. chief executive of the past decade is stepping down this month. Samuel Palmisano of I.B.M. has presided over a remarkable transformation of the technology giant, extracting it from the personal computer business and shifting it toward services and software to power a “Smarter Planet.”

In a fascinating interview with my colleague Steve Lohr, Palmisano said the first of the four questions in his guiding business framework was, “Why would someone spend their money with you — so what is unique about you?” At root, business is still about getting money out of your pocket into mine. By being unsentimental in making I.B.M. unique, Palmisano ensured a lot of money flowed the company’s way.

Profits followed. The stock price surged. Warren Buffett, who knows which way the wind blows, recently acquired a stake of more than 5 percent. I.B.M. has been re-imagined, not least in the way it has shifted from being a U.S. multinational to a global corporation powered by rapid expansion in growth markets like India and China.

The question arises: If an American colossus like I.B.M. can be turned around, can America itself? (emphasis added)

A small aside: if Cohen’s logic is correct, then the 2012 election is over and everyone should vote for Mitt Romney. This kind of ruthless turnaround is exactly what Romney did while at Bain. While his track record can be disputed, there’s no doubt that he was willing to be ruthless to increase profits. So, whether he knows it or not, Cohen is making the argument that a turnaround specialist like Romney would be just the ticket for the United States, transforming America’s political economy into a leaner, more efficient engine for progress.

The thing is — and this is kind of important — governments are not corporations. I cannot stress this enough. There’s the obvious point that in democracies, legislatures tend to impose a more powerful constraint than shareholders, making it that much harder for leaders to execute the policies they think will be the most efficient.

I’m telling you, this is how establishment Republicans are trying to clean this up.

• 91 susanne
      January 10, 2012 at 7:55 pm

boy, i’ve been waiting to see this brought out: the role of government is service; the role of corporations is making money. geesh. running a corporation is no preparation at all for serving the nation, as the skills, values, and purpose are opposite.

30. January 10, 2012 at 7:40 pm

What I’m hoping for tonight – Romney 35% or lower, and Ron Paul in second place. Huntsman in fourth would be asking too much.

• January 10, 2012 at 8:39 pm

The media is trying to spin Romney’s 35% as a clear win, but I saw Lawrence O’Donnell almost apoplectic about the fact that Romney shouldn’t celebrate getting 35%, when Hillary got 37% and Romney’s basically in his home town.

31. 102 FiredUpInCa
    January 10, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Romney 37%
    Paul 24%
    Huntsman 15%
    Gingrich 12%
    Santorum 10%
    Perry 1%

32. 103 Dudette
    January 10, 2012 at 7:42 pm

I hope you weren’t planning to watch this year’s Super Bowl with your kids…

Super Bowl Viewers Will See Graphic Anti-Abortion Ads With Pictures Of Bloody Fetuses

“Super Bowl viewers in 40 cities across the country will see graphic ads featuring images of bloody, aborted fetuses. The ads are being paid for by fringe anti-abortion candidate Terry Randall:

Anti-abortion ads showing graphic images of aborted fetuses covered in blood and surrounded by religious icons will air during the Super Bowl in February, courtesy of Democratic Presidential candidate Randall Terry.

Terry, who has spent a year in jail and been arrested 50 times for his anti-abortion efforts, is using a Federal Election Commission loophole that ensures ads for political candidates cannot be prohibited within 45 days of an election. Apparently, primaries count, so Terry will be running ads on local stations during Super Bowl XLVI February 5.”

————

I don’t know if I’m more appauled that any group thinks families should see this kind of stuff during the Super Bowl, that the guys calls himself a Democratic candidate for President, that TV stations would take these ads or even that there may be some law or regulation that says they HAVE to show them.

• January 10, 2012 at 7:47 pm

You know, with all of that happening, I wish Janet Jackson would just come into a commercial and whip em out like she did on the Rolling Stone cover. I NEVER want to hear how inappropriate the 2004 tit flash was (THAT I DIDN’T SEE!!!) ever again.

• 108 Cathy from MN
      January 10, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Hard to believe it can’t be prevented due to content; sounds like some letter writing is appropriate….

• 109 Cathy from MN
        January 10, 2012 at 7:53 pm

My Mom stopped going to Mass after the run on sermons by the priests each Sunday when my brother was about 8/9 yrs old. The Sunday they walked out of church and he asked her, “Mom, what is abortion anyway?’ is the Sunday she stopped going to mass. Inappropriate topic for children; church should be an environment appropriate for all ages…and so should the Super Bowl 😉

33. January 10, 2012 at 7:47 pm

ok, who pissed in Michael Steele cheerios. Dude is usually a prick, but he seems to be more prickly than usual especially towards Gene Robinson. I know that Steele is usually sitting against a white Dem strategist or journo, so does Gene R make him feel defensive or something?

January 10, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Funny to see ol’ Roemer has gotten about 70 votes, so far – almost the same as the number of write-in votes.

I wouldn’t speak to him on the sidewalk, much less vote for him.

35. January 10, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Voters in the tiny New Hampshire village famed for casting the first ballots in the nation’s first presidential primary found themselves in a tie Tuesday between Republicans Mitt Romney and Jon Huntsman.

Nine ballots were cast in New Hampshire’s Dixville Notch just after midnight.

Romney and Huntsman received two votes each. Coming in second with one vote apiece were Newt Gingrich and Ron Paul.

For the Democrats, President Barack Obama received three votes.

PBO won!!!!! 😆

36. January 10, 2012 at 8:01 pm

They’ve already called it for Romney.

37. 122 nospin
    January 10, 2012 at 8:03 pm

strolling down memory lane . . . . . . .

NH Democratic Primary in 2008

Democrats
    22 pledged delegates, 8 unpledged
    Candidate Vote % Delegates
    Hillary Rodham Clinton 112,404 39.1% 9
    Barack Obama 104,815 36.5 9
    John Edwards 48,699 16.9 4
    Bill Richardson 13,269 4.6 0
    Dennis J. Kucinich 3,891 1.4 0
    Joseph R. Biden Jr. 638 0.2 0
    Mike Gravel 404 0.1 0
    Christopher J. Dodd 205 0.1 0
    Others 3,217 1.1 0
    100% reporting

I was curious to assess the turnout for the Republican NH Primary vs. the Democratic Primary in NH – http://politics.nytimes.com/election-guide/2008/results/states/NH.html

This is a placeholder so I can compare results. lol

38. 123 Brit
    January 10, 2012 at 8:09 pm

South Carolina is going to be a tossup. Especially since Newt’s PAC is running an abortion ad against Mitt on his changing stance on abortion.

January 10, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Oh my goodness that guy now talking on MSNBC has the most irritating voice.

January 10, 2012 at 8:12 pm

President Obama is the projected DEM winner in NH with 81% of the vote.

41. 129 halo
    January 10, 2012 at 8:12 pm

REPUBLICANS ARE IDIOTS! HOW THE HELL IS PAUL WINNING?

January 10, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Paul is not winning. And he’s not going to be the nominee either. He’s in second place, and Romney is the projected winner.

• 133 dotster3
      January 10, 2012 at 8:17 pm

His supporters are real die-hards. I saw one interviewed today—–he said that Paul has a foreign policy problem, but they all have problems, and he couldn’t stand Mitt Romney and so he was voting for Paul. He looked like a young 20-something and might have been more interested in another item on Paul’s agenda too.

January 10, 2012 at 8:21 pm

As Lawrence O’Donnell stated, Ron Paul is not a real candidate, he’s simply a protest candidate to push his ideas, and will NOT be the GOP nominee.

42. 135 rikyrah
    January 10, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Starve, You Bastards
    by BooMan
    Tue Jan 10th, 2012 at 07:04:56 PM EST

How do you squeeze the last dime out of a starving person? Elect a Republican:

Republican Gov. Tom Corbett has announced a major assault on the food stamp program that feeds 1.8 million Pennsylvanians, including 439,245 in Philadelphia. Pennsylvania’s Department of Public Welfare announced that on May 1, people under 60 with more than $2,000 in savings or other assets will be barred from receiving food stamps. People over 60 would have a $3,250 cap.
    As the Inquirer points out in a detailed look, the move to cut food stamps is way out of line with what other states are doing: “Pennsylvania plans to make the amount of food stamps that people receive contingent on the assets they possess — an unexpected move that bucks national trends and places the commonwealth among a minority of states.”

The trend during the Great Recession, with millions falling into poverty, has been to remove such barriers to assistance. Gov. Ed Rendell eliminated the state’s asset test in 2008. Pennsylvania now joins 11 states with asset tests — including Indiana, Kansas, Missouri and South Dakota.

43. January 10, 2012 at 8:19 pm

I am happy that Lawrence O’Donnell is the adult in the room on MSNBC and telling it like it is.

January 10, 2012 at 8:20 pm

I’m glad that Lawrence O’Donnell schooled Ed Schultz’s arse that Romney’s 36% is NOT a strong finish, and traditionally the GOP winner in NH has gotten at least 39%, with John McCain getting a whopping 49% of the GOP primary vote in 2008!!!

January 10, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Well something is up with Ed, last week he act like he was in love with Santorum.

January 10, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Ed admitted on one of his shows that he got days of pushback from progressives on his love for Santorum, and was defending himself all over the place.

• 145 nintendowii10
      January 10, 2012 at 8:25 pm

This is the same Ed who praised Santorum as being as articulate as President Obama on the stump. I’ve lost all respect I’ve EVER had for Ed, he’s a big time flip flopping phoney just like Willard!

• January 10, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Romney don’t care. He could win it by 8 votes again and claim he’s got a mandate. It’s Republican thing.

45. 147 dotster3
    January 10, 2012 at 8:24 pm

46. 149 Bill
    January 10, 2012 at 8:25 pm

For some reason the entire Willard family gives me the creeps.

47. 154 Bill
    January 10, 2012 at 8:30 pm

An acceptance speech bashing the President seems odd. A more hopeful speech would seem more appropriate.

48. 159 Obama Grandmama
    January 10, 2012 at 8:31 pm

I am listening to Willard Mitt Ronmey talk right now about how President Obama says It could be worse. I want to see that in writing that he said that as I have noticed him being really careful to say we have along ways to go. I have heard Mitt lie and lie again so expect he will continue. He is now saying the President has run out of ideas and he hopes he will run out of time. I may not be able to tolerate listening to these lies.

January 10, 2012 at 8:35 pm

I heard one line of it, and hit the mute button. Lying liars and the lies they tell.

• 163 Cathy from MN
      January 10, 2012 at 8:38 pm

I had to stop listening; realized it was ruining a perfectly wonderful night. It was in the mid 50’s here in MN — quite a miracle in January. I took a wonderful long walk after work; everyone in the neighborhood was out — kids were riding their bikes. That doesn’t usually happen until April here .

What a beautiful day; no way I am letting a loser like Romney ruin it!

Instead I posted the great facts of the Auto Industry recovery on my Facebook page; if you have any concerns about offending people, it is a great topic that should be important to everyone in this nation. Our great President made a great call on saving the US Auto Industry; a move that the ‘great businessman’ Romney opposed. It will be a GREAT campaign!

January 10, 2012 at 8:33 pm

I’m muting Barfo Romney, but with the sound off, all you can see are the blank-eyed faces of his family. None of them look into it. When Mrs. Romney talks, she livens up, and then goes back to her “trapped” look.

Might just be my projection. Dunno.

January 10, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Also noted the whole crowd standing behind them looks (shifty-eyed – ha ha – and) bored. Compare that to President Obama’s crowds for enthusiasm, and you might wanna smile.

• January 10, 2012 at 8:57 pm

I turned it off Mittens Jacqueline, and I bet the crowd wa all one color. When I saw Ann Romney and all of those rich sons strolling on the stage, I could not take it anymore. I think she dreams of the drapes which she will hang in the White House. I could see she and her husband completely rebuilding the White House, because it will not be large enough and will not meet their specifications. 🙂

January 10, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Oh, COS, that was so funny! You are right – they’ll probably tear down the White House and buy up more acreage along Pennsylvania Avenue, to fit their needs.

Lord help us.

• January 10, 2012 at 8:54 pm

I muted, but even that wasn’t enough. The lies ooze out of the screen, even in silence. I don’t think I can stand watching him for 10 more months. I’m hoping for a right wing miracle in the form of someone surprisingly streaking way ahead of Mitt.

50. January 10, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Huntsman staying in is bad news for Mitt. Because he could take 5-6% in South Carolina and upwards of 15% in Florida, and the vast majority of his voters would have Romney as their second choice. Both numbers could be the difference between Romney winning or losing the States.

If we’re down to one not-Romney come SC, then they win SC. They likely win Florida if Huntsman stays in through there as well.

January 10, 2012 at 8:40 pm

I agree Myth Romney thinks Huntsman’s staying in is bad news. I can’t see Huntsman gaining much “Huntsmentum (as Rachel would say)” down south. Just not following that closely. Will he?

• 174 nintendowii10
      January 10, 2012 at 8:41 pm

I doubt Huntsman even gets that much, South Carolina and Florida are contests that require right wing policies and lots of money. If Willard wins South Carolina, then it’s game over for the other non Romneys.

Also recall how Giuliani banked his entire campaign hopes on Florida just to win one delegate. Huntsman banked his campaign on New Hampshire only to place third. He needed a strong second place finish in NH and failed.

• January 10, 2012 at 9:07 pm

I actually think the opposite. Excluding Ron Paul, Huntsman, Gingrich and Santorum’s numbers seperately if combined behind one “non-Mittens” candidate would really give Romney a run for his money.

Plus I heard on MSNBC, that Romney and Paul campaigns essentially have an “undestanding”. By staying in the race, Paul pulls at least 1/4 of the vote away from the other non-Mitt candidates coupled with the divided proportions of the other non-Mitts and Romney still wins with only 30-35% of any of the votes.

So Paul attacks everyone from the right and yet if you’ve noticed Paul hasn’t attacked Mittens directly or much in advertising. Ron Paul who as Lawrence O said correctly, WILL NOT win the nom and will more than likely not be allowed to speak at the convention (can you imagine what Paul would say. The GOP are stupid, but not that stupid) is the spoiler in this primary and Romney gets to take full advantage of it. Between Paul and his superpacs and this media environment’s pathological refusal to at least give the illusion of correcting or calling out right lies about Obama record, Romney can pretty much coast to the nomination at this point.

I never thought I’d say this, but I’m rooting for Newton to go full fuckin’ nuclear on Romney’s ass. I can’t even stand Newt, but my gawd somebody needs to take Romney down a peg. Shit, I guess I’m gonna have to wait til the debates with POTUS cause this media ain’t planning on calling Romney out for any of his damn lies. Romney WILL be the nominee, but damn I hope Newt leaves him battered and bruised!

January 10, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Romney doesn’t realize it now, but that irritating “victory” speech that he’s giving is actually getting more Obama supporters fired up to vote against his stiff lying arse in November 2012.

52. January 10, 2012 at 8:39 pm

So Obama wins about 82% of NH votes with 10% write-ins. With no campaign, PBO gets around 12,000 votes while willard after months of campign gets 14,000.

53. 181 Bill
    January 10, 2012 at 8:39 pm

For everyone who hit the mute button, Willard does not like President Obama and he believes in America.

January 10, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Oh, thank you, Bill. Who would have guessed that!

55. 184 FiredUpInCa
    January 10, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Romney got 35% of the vote with 21% of the precincts reporting. This was supposed to be his coronation. Now he’s going into South Carolina with a mediocre win as he faces the debut of a 27-minute film that paints him as a job and life destroyer.

Mitt is in for a very long slog and probably a brokered convention.

• 185 Brit
      January 10, 2012 at 8:43 pm

I’m thinking brokered convention too.

• January 10, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Personally, I hope it isn’t brokered. Anything can happen, including someone who isn’t in the race now suddenly being nominated, someone who isn’t a complete crack-pot. Obviously being Republican the eprson would be at least a bit of a crack-pot.

• 187 Brit
          January 10, 2012 at 8:53 pm

I think American Elect might nominate a Conservative.

• January 10, 2012 at 8:56 pm

OTOH their convention is in late August – so said new candidate would have two months and a week to make America comfortable enough with him/her to vote for them to be President.

• 191 Obama Grandmama
            January 10, 2012 at 9:18 pm

To me I would not like a brokered convention because it seems to take the journalists a long time to scrutinize a candidate and then awhile for the electorate to react to the news. Just look at the immediate support some candidates have gotten like the entire GOP conservative candidates. Just look how it was first Bachmann with her Iowa straw poll, then Perry got in and had support before his Oops moment in the debate, then it was Herman Cain the 999 man that had to be accused of many things before he quit, then Gingrich was up and Romney’s ads took him out of high poll ratings, Santorium next then Huntsmann. I am not sure where Ron Paul fit into the mix as he seems to have the same % of support regardless. My point is it takes awhile to bring the info out on a person so that the voters are informed. You can remember when Sarah Palin came on the scene she energized the parties base instantly and she didn’t start plummeting till the Katie Couric interview.

January 10, 2012 at 8:45 pm

56. 194 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    January 10, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Whenever Mitt opens his mouth, the chorus of this song runs through my mind — LIES

57. 195 #1 obama fan
    January 10, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Mittens will lose lose lose lose lose lose lose lose lose lose lose to President Obama !! I can’t wait for the match up with the Prez..Mr Romney is a LIAR and does nt care about the middle class..I repeat does nt care about the middle class..”The resentment of success”are you freaking kidding me ??

58. 196 #1 obama fan
    January 10, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Go Rev Al !!!

• 197 Lorraine
      January 10, 2012 at 8:57 pm

I know that’s right! Chris Matthews got him good, too. Of course Lawrence was wonderful. I hope Axe is listening because between Rev. Al, Chris, Lawrence and even Ed gave them some good material.

59. January 10, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Pat Buchanan apparently thinks people of colour, militant gays & Van Jones (at about the 1:20 point) have been out to get him.

60. January 10, 2012 at 8:52 pm

If my math is right here with 23% of the vote in the total votes cast is 42,064 so 100% of the vote will look like 182, 887. This is important because in 2008 238, 979 votes were cast in the Republican Primary. So 56,000 less votes will be cast this year.

61. 204 halo
    January 10, 2012 at 8:55 pm

I think Steve Schmidt is a square Republican. I have no quibbles with him. He’s a Republican and is generally fair.

• 205 nintendowii10
      January 10, 2012 at 8:59 pm

The only issue I take with him is that he was one of the main people to force Sarah onto the McCain ticket in 2008.

January 10, 2012 at 9:09 pm

And I don’t like the way he kept looking directly into Rev. Al’s eyes, for the entire time he was talking, strangely without blinking. Maybe he just doesn’t blink, but that was disconcerting.

• January 10, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Every time I see Schmidt, I see that stupid ad where they mocked PBO and compared him with Paris Hilton because he was so popular. They ran the ad while he was in Germany and drew that large crowd. I can’t get that out of my mind for some reaon.

62. 208 Ladyhawke
    January 10, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Lawrence O’Donnell is preaching on the stupid comment about Europe. Go Lawrence…..

63. January 10, 2012 at 8:57 pm

64. 211 dotster3
    January 10, 2012 at 8:58 pm

65. 212 rikyrah
    January 10, 2012 at 8:58 pm

MEDIA ALERT! Gayle King interview with First Lady Michelle Obama airs tomorrow morning on CBS’ This Morning at 7am EST!

66. January 10, 2012 at 8:58 pm

January 10, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Oooooh..

68. January 10, 2012 at 9:00 pm

69. January 10, 2012 at 9:02 pm

70. 218 Brit
    January 10, 2012 at 9:03 pm

I read earlier that Ron Paul released a statement defending Mitt and attacking Newt and Rick. I am not understanding why Ron would defend his opponent Mitt and not attack him like the others.

• 219 Obama Grandmama
      January 10, 2012 at 9:25 pm

I am beginning to think the person that said Ron Paul only wants to make a point and Mitt Romney wants to keep him in as long as possible so he won’t run as a third party candidate is correct. I wonder if Romney might even have told Paul as much.

71. 220 halo
    January 10, 2012 at 9:03 pm

RON PAUL IS DELUSIONAL

72. 221 Tulips
    January 10, 2012 at 9:04 pm

73. January 10, 2012 at 9:04 pm

74. January 10, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Though I was repulsed by it all, I watched Willard’s victory speech. Who the hell does Willard think he’s running against? And when does he think he is running against him, in 2002? He basically is saying that President Obama is not American, that he has apologized, that he has appeased our adversaries. I mean, really? Boy, we’re gonna have lots of fun with him in November.

75. January 10, 2012 at 9:09 pm

In 2008 Romney came in second place with 75,546 votes – if he keeps his current 37% tonight he;ll end up with 75 624, so would have gained 78 votes over the last four years of campaigning in essentially his home state.

• January 10, 2012 at 9:14 pm

How long is crazy Ron Paul going to speak? I have been watching his mug with my mute button on for the last 10 minutes. He talks like a crazy person and I don’t know what to say about his followers.

76. 231 rikyrah
    January 10, 2012 at 9:09 pm

No matter what happens, the Professor wins the grift…
    by Dennis G.

The Professor is on the move again. He has a sugar daddy funding his PAC and is preparing a can of whoop-ass for Mittens. He just released an ad for South Carolina hitting Romney for being pro-abortion and his PAC will release their “King of Bain: When Mitt Romney Came to Town” campaign documentary on Wednesday. The elbows are getting sharper and GOP potentates are getting nervous over criticisms of Mittens for earning millions by screwing American workers. Some like Kristol are in the public hand-wringing phase—more will follow him.

Meanwhile folks attribute motives of rage and vengeance to the Professor and very few folks see any method to his madness. And yet, this is Newt’s best play to win the nomination. If Romney can’t stand up to the intense bashing and drops in support, then folks in wingnutopia will thank Newt for exposing the squish before President Obama had a chance to crush him—and if Mittens is brought low, then the only choices left will be Newt, Ron, John and the Ricks. The Professor is betting that he’ll win that fight. This line of attack is a smart play and his best chance to become the Republican nominee. It is also a very low risk strategy for Newt—there are no hits to his reputation that could damage his future earning power. He will always be able to run a new grift and this confrontational path just might win him the GOP nomination and fantasies of being elected President.

77. January 10, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Ron Paul, Huntsman, Gingrich and Santorum’s numbers seperately if combined behind one “non-Mittens” candidate would have really give Romney a run for his money.

Plus I heard on MSNBC, that Romney and Paul campaigns essentially have an “understanding”. By staying in the race, Paul pulls at least 1/4 of the vote away from the other non-Mitt candidates coupled with the divided proportions of the other non-Mitts and Romney still wins with only 30-35% of any of the votes.

78. January 10, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Good Evening Everyone:-)

79. 234 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    January 10, 2012 at 9:14 pm

ALWAYS REMEMBER…WE HAVE THE BEST PRESIDENT AMERICA HAS EVER SEEN IN ITS HISTORY…AND THAT WON’T CHANGE. THE GOP IS FINISHED IN THIS ELECTION!

80. 235 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    January 10, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Mitt’s money shot gives conservatives a sad — 🙂

• 236 EWOK2
      January 10, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Where is the teaparty lady Sarah Palin? Are the Rep establishment keeping her for the General election? It seems that the teaparty is ineffective this time around, they will unleash her to bring out her minions in time for the election.

The base wants to elect a far right candididate for president, but the RNC wants a mild version of the teaparty for the general, the base will not get what it wants , they hate Romney but will hold their nose and vote for him in the General, Romney knows this that is why he is describing our President as un American to court the racist votes.

Gingrich is innoculating Romney for the General, because they are all not electable, and Romney is their last hope. Jim demint has not endorsed anyone yet, the base is confused. It would be interesting if the voters in SC vote in large numbers for this Mormon. The teaparty govenor Nikki has endorsed the chosen one Romney . The Republicans are always plotting and scheming, the teaparty members are being played.

81. January 10, 2012 at 9:22 pm

John Harwood on MSNBC said sources said that Ron Paul is going to SC tomorrow and that they plan to increase their ad buy with attack ads against Gingrich and Santorum. I’m telling Ron Paul’s campaign is working for Mittens. If Mittens picks Rand Paul as VP, then we will know what going on.

• 238 Brit
      January 10, 2012 at 9:28 pm

They are in cahooots and I am stumped why they are working together. It’s sad that Mitt needs Ron to stay in the race in order to squek out wins.

January 10, 2012 at 9:47 pm

I don’t think Ron Paul would do favors for anybody, Romney included, so maybe Gingrich and Santorum just got to him somehow and he’s paying them back. This entire crowd has the maturity level of a gnat. A young gnat.

82. January 10, 2012 at 9:23 pm

5 minutes into Ron Paul’s speech, i made my way over to ion and am currently watching a riveting re-run of one of my new favorite shows: Criminal Minds! where the hell have I been?! I just discovered this show like 4 weeks ago! Thank god for A&E and Ion which allows me to watch all the old epidodes!
    ps- Willard is a damned shame. He started off with 43% approval and “won” the primary in what was essentially his home state, with only 37% of the votes. :sneer: Obviously the hype doesn’t match up with the reality. Poor Willard. Can. Not. Wait. To. Kick. Your. Dried-up. Prune-y. Ass. After PBO’s done with you in November, you won’t ever show your ugly face on the political stage again!

• 241 symmetry11
      January 10, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Lisa,
      Criminal Minds is one of my all time favorits shows. I watch it almost everyday. They show the re-runs on ION as well as A&E. The actual show comes on Wednesday’s ast 9 on CBS.

• January 10, 2012 at 9:40 pm

me too Lisa.

Last Christmas in a bit of contra-programming, Ion did a Criminal Minds marathon and instead of cutesy holiday stories, I was watching back to back episodes of CM. I’m hooked.

I literally just posted on twitter about Criminal Minds…:D

January 10, 2012 at 9:24 pm

I think we need a little perspective here 🙂

Three days ago, Mitt Romney again claimed that he created 100,000 jobs while at Bain, “In the business I had, we invested in over 100 different businesses and net-net, taking out the ones where we lost jobs and those that we added, those businesses have now added over 100,000 jobs.” When The Washington Post fact checked Romney’s claim they found that when he ran for Senate in 1994, he stated that he created 10,000 jobs while at Bain. In almost 18 years, Mitt Romney job creation claims have miraculously grown tenfold.

The reality is that the real number of jobs created by Romney is likely 10,000. This means that the auto bailout, which the candidate who claims that he can fix the economy opposed, has created ten times more jobs than Mitt Romney ever did in the private sector. It isn’t about how many jobs Romney created while at Bain. The point is that Mitt Romney was, and continues to be, wrong about the auto bailout.

The auto bailout worked. It not only saved hundreds of thousands of jobs, but it has created 170,000 new ones. If Mitt Romney was in charge of the economy, those jobs wouldn’t exist.

• 245 Cathy from MN
      January 10, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Absolutely; I think the auto industry success is one of the most important accomplishments we need to use in the campaign; real jobs, real US manufacturing, 1 M jobs saved, great investment! GOOD BUSINESS LEADERSHIP

January 10, 2012 at 9:49 pm

If Mitt’s the man…he is going to get SLAMMED on this! Nobody more deserving of THAT body slam more than Romney…”let them all go bankrupt”!

• 247 Obama Grandmama
      January 10, 2012 at 9:54 pm

The comeback I’ve heard Romney say against his they need to go bankrupt seems to be Prez Obama followed my advice about structuring this ( I wondered if he meant the bailout) only he took way too long to decide it. I do not even understand his point on how he was right and PBO was wrong on this.

January 10, 2012 at 9:24 pm

PBO got more symbolic DEM votes than Huntsman got real GOPvotes.

85. 249 FiredUpInCa
    January 10, 2012 at 9:25 pm

All the precincts haven’t reported yet, but still…

“The drop-off in turnout looks worse for Republicans since a higher fraction of voters – about half this year, compared to 37 percent in 2008 – are independents. That means that turnout among registered Republicans could alone be off by nearly 40 percent from 2008.”

86. 251 FiredUpInCa
    January 10, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Live Blogging: 2012 N.H. GOP Primary

“WBUR’s Sacha Pfeiffer notes that in moderate/liberal Concord, Obama got more votes than Romney.”

87. January 10, 2012 at 9:37 pm

You all make me feel so much better. thanks. I get so worried when I hear all the lies coming out of Romneys mouth.
    When right wing pundits come on these shows and trash the Pres before saying anything else, my blood boils. Id like to see all the Dem pundits praise our Pres when they come on Bashir and the like. The worst is NPR.they never respond to these attacks on a sitting President. I heard one call the Pres a Socialist with out even a comment, Just let that stuff stand.

January 10, 2012 at 9:41 pm

My blood boils every time, too, but I’ll pass on what someone here very kindly suggested to me: Breathe.

And on President Obama’s behalf: We got this! #PressOn

• January 10, 2012 at 9:45 pm

I remember that Obama is the best campaigner and President ever.
        He and his team will handle it. But the lies…..

January 10, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Tien tells us to breathe 🙂 Pace yourselves…gonna be a long, hot summer! I think we all ought to send these guys a thank you note when this is over….all these REPUBLICANS helped give us a treasure trove of attack ads…I’m deeply appreciative 🙂 Mitt’s going DOWN!

• 257 Pamela
        January 10, 2012 at 10:30 pm

We all must remember that if PBO went off the scales like this, up and down, roller coaster, whoops, whomp, wham, with every bit of stupid or misleading propaganda, he would not have become the awesome POTUS that he is, and will be! I told JO’B to breathe, take a nice long bath, whatever it takes to maintain your equilibrium…. We need to stand firm, like POTUS does, so we will be more help to him when he needs us! We are no help if we get battered up while still on the way to the General! For myself, leaving the television off, finding out what’s going on by the TOD, by a few of the blogs maintained by people who can intelligently express themselves, and keeping those candles burning, well, that keeps me sane and balanced. We have a long way to go. Most of these stupid fools will have burned out shortly, and we never have to say their names again! They will vaporize into the wrong side of history. Awww, too too bad, I feel so sorry for them! (Hardly!)

88. 258 halo
    January 10, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Huntsman needs a speechwriter.

89. January 10, 2012 at 9:40 pm

9:30 AM
    Obama and Biden receive the presidential daily briefing.
    10:10 AM
    Obama and Biden hold a roundtable meeting on jobs.
    12:15 PM
    Obama delivers remarks on jobs. Biden attends.
    12:30 PM
    Michelle Obama delivers remarks at a Democratic National Committee luncheon in Richmond, Va.
    2:45 PM
    Michelle Obama delivers remarks at Virginia Commonwealth University.
    2:55 PM
    Obama departs the White House en route to Joint Base Andrews.
    3:10 PM
    Obama departs Joint Base Andrews en route to Chicago.
    5:00 PM
    Obama arrives in Chicago.
    5:15 PM
    Michelle Obama delivers remarks at a Democratic National Committee reception in Charlottesville, Va.

January 10, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Turns out Steve Schmidt doesn’t blink for anybody. Republican robot, I’m guessing.

91. January 10, 2012 at 9:45 pm

how funny is it that the MSM who was Huntsmans biggest fluffers are now mocking him on twitter and the like…who’s surprised??? No one!

92. 265 Ladyhawke
    January 10, 2012 at 9:46 pm

I love the fact that Lawrence O’Donnell is hammering Willard for using (wait for it) A TELEPROMPTER. Don’t let up Lawrence. Don’t let him forget the stupid remarks about the teleprompter.

• 266 LOL
      January 10, 2012 at 9:55 pm

And that classless ass…you are supposed to let the runner ups speak first. One thing he does not have is grace and modesty. Congratulations you win a state that you’ve lived in for the past 7 years. Your parents must be proud.

January 10, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Consumer Credit in U.S. Surged in November by Most in a Decade

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2012/01/09/bloomberg_articlesLXJRIA1A1I4J.DTL#ixzz1j78F9PvE

Jan. 9 (Bloomberg) — Consumer borrowing in the U.S. surged in November by the most in 10 years, showing households are gaining the confidence to take on debt and banks are more willing to lend.

Credit increased by $20.4 billion, the biggest jump since November 2001, to $2.48 trillion, Federal Reserve figures showed today in Washington. The advance was almost twice as big as the highest forecast of 31 economists surveyed by Bloomberg News.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2012/01/09/bloomberg_articlesLXJRIA1A1I4J.DTL#ixzz1j787Htz2

94. 268 Marlz (@marjgra)
    January 10, 2012 at 9:52 pm

BET TWEET EVER!

95. January 10, 2012 at 9:54 pm

the best part of today’s dem primary is that punk randall terry is behind that nutjob supreme guy

• January 10, 2012 at 10:30 pm

I see piece of crap Romney is already capitalizing on that Kantor book by aying the WH is unstable. He is a nasty lying flip flopping, dishonest b######. I despise him. PBO will show him how unstable it is when he start campaigning.

96. January 10, 2012 at 10:06 pm

All the GOP candidates make you want to slice your wrists.
    Very inspirational! Makes you feel proud! Not!

97. January 10, 2012 at 10:07 pm

oh my god. msnbc acting as thoough two win with less than stellar numbers is something ‘historic.’ what the fuck ever. 🙄

98. January 10, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Brokaw sauys Willard has great momentum and had an impressive win, especially sine he stole so many of PBO’s independent voters. 🙄 so the spin begins.

January 10, 2012 at 10:15 pm

More Firms Enjoy Tax-Free Status

StoneMor Partners LP, the publicly traded firm that specializes in running cemeteries, expects to see handsome profits in coming years as baby boomers age and die. But unlike its largest rivals, its corporate tax bill from the federal government will be zero.

StoneMor is among the many businesses organized so they don’t pay a penny in federal corporate income tax. And yet such firms don’t employ an army of accountants to shield profits in complex tax shelters. Their enviable tax position is perfectly legal and has been encouraged by Congress and state governments. Known as pass-throughs, these firms pass along …

100. January 10, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Good showing for Mitt tonight – 38% was over my 35% threshold, and he looks like he’ll get 86K votes, which is 10K more than he got in 2008 – all in all a strong showing for Mitt and very likely this will all be over by S.Carolina now. Newt seems to have been reined in by the GOP establishment if his speech has anything to say about it.

January 10, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Chris Matthews just referred to the “tyranny of tedium” that is the GOP election cycle. Yep.

102. 298 donna dem 4 obama
    January 10, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Has there been any talk by the campaign as to when the President is going to start officially campaigning?

103. January 10, 2012 at 11:02 pm

I wasn’t feeling too good and so I was a little down this afternoon… blank staring around my room ( had that scary Michele Bachmann look 😯 ). I wanted something to lighten the mood… and I remembered I was due to check the site for the usual ‘evening post’ around this time… and I’m glad I made the decision to come here and read all the great things for Obama today, it made me smile again! I ♥ TOD!! I ♥ PBO!!

@POTUS