Sep

The Obamas Give Back To Their Community

2014-09-11T224313Z_1166213106_GM1EA9C0ICP01_RTRMADP_3_USA-OBAMA

President Barack Obama helps fill backpacks with items to give to homeless children while participating in a service project at The Inspired Teaching School

2014-09-11T224840Z_946473922_GM1EA9C0IN701_RTRMADP_3_USA-OBAMA

First Lady Michelle Obama helps fill backpacks with items to give to homeless children

2014-09-11T224942Z_281572384_GM1EA9C0HI001_RTRMADP_3_USA-OBAMA

President Barack Obama uses a ratchet wrench as he helps build a playground while participating in a service project at the Inspired Teaching School, a high-performing public charter school in northeast Washington, DC, to commemorate the September 11th National Day of Service and Remembrance

2014-09-11T222755Z_912795929_GM1EA9C0HTN01_RTRMADP_3_USA-OBAMA

2014-09-11T224645Z_496987415_GM1EA9C0IMX01_RTRMADP_3_USA-OBAMA

President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama help build a playground

2014-09-11T225258Z_1866638962_GM1EA9C0IYM01_RTRMADP_3_USA-OBAMA

2014-09-11T225547Z_458718372_GM1EA9C0IYE01_RTRMADP_3_USA-OBAMA

A family waits on their front porch for President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama to depart from the Inspired Teaching School

131 Responses to “The Obamas Give Back To Their Community”

1. 6 Nena20409
    September 11, 2014 at 8:55 pm

Could It be Magic?

Just came back and Leave a message is calling Loudly 😉
    Hey TODers!

2. 7 Nerdy Wonka
    September 11, 2014 at 8:56 pm

September 11, 2014 at 9:06 pm

Is Mark Knoller lying here….

3. September 11, 2014 at 8:56 pm

You are the second runner up, Nena. Good Evening!

4. 10 Nena20409
    September 11, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Lost 😦

Oh well…..Win some 🙂 and Lose some 😦

Happy to congratulate Twin Gold Medalists: NCLB and LadyTNT 😉

5. 11 Nena20409
    September 11, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Thanks for this Up-lifting Thread NW.
    The Obamas are always on the Move…..thinking about others. Thank You Pres Obama and FLOTUS Mrs Obama.

6. September 11, 2014 at 9:00 pm

Please see bottom of previous thread for some important updates on Ukraine and the impact of sanctions and Vlad’s arrogant stupidity. Seemed better there than in this delightful thread.

Congrats NCLB 🙂

Thank you NW!

7. 14 Dudette
    September 11, 2014 at 9:02 pm

There I was just posting away on the old thread. 🙂

8. 17 HZ
    September 11, 2014 at 9:05 pm

Our Beautiful President and First Lady always on the go and doing wonderful things for the children. What a blessing we have in both our POTUS and FLOTUS. HZ

9. September 11, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Anther fool got caught with his beliefs in full display in a glass jar!!!

This time in a televised local debate, in front of an audience of interested voters and party loyalists. A spectacular fail, and I’m not exaggerating.

“Legitimate rape”, “Macaca”, “47%”, when we catch Republicans saying what they really believe, it’s curtains. Tonight, at a local candidate forum, the Republican candidate for Pueblo County Commissioner essentially endorsed the Sandy Hook truther position.

Even his Republican cheerleaders, who showed up en masse to support their challenger, turned on him. The boos, gasps, and shouts of shock and contempt came from just about all of the ~200 folks in attendance. There may have been a few people with their tin foil hats in their pockets, but the very vocal outrage seemed unanimous.

The debate was essentially over at that point. The cheerleader applause after each of his answers was distinctly muted. Details below the cloud rising from his vaporized candidacy.

• September 11, 2014 at 9:16 pm

Don’t miss the above link if you haven’t read it already. This part is the funniest.
      ——————-

I expected Ready to deflect this easily with a quick, “Why are you talking about nonsense on Facebook, I asked you about voting to raise rates on low income Puebloans for the sake of “clean energy”. Explain that vote.”

But no.

Ready went for it, and began to claim that there is no proof that Sandy Hook actually happened. Unbelievable.

That was when the crowd erupted. There for a second I thought they were going to drag him out in the street and tar and feather him like he was a Wall Street banker. I’ve never seen spontaneous public outrage come out of left field like that.

• 22 jackiegrumbacher
      September 11, 2014 at 10:27 pm

NCLB, I’m convinced that local Republicans have all gone berserk. I think the national party has led them to believe that any expression of insanity and prejudice is okay because they are, as Republicans, foreordained to win elections no matter what they say. It used to be that politicians would put on a public “face” during elections. Now they feel they’ve been given permission to express their true selves in all their repellent ugliness. I say, “keep talking and hang yourselves, Republicans.”

10. 24 Nena20409
    September 11, 2014 at 9:28 pm

11. September 11, 2014 at 9:30 pm

12. 26 Nena20409
    September 11, 2014 at 9:31 pm

13. 28 Nena20409
    September 11, 2014 at 9:33 pm

14. September 11, 2014 at 9:34 pm

September 11, 2014 at 9:58 pm

Of course she is still wearing Ray Rice jersey, she weren’t the one who was knock out cold. Some people you just can’t explain.

15. 31 Nena20409
    September 11, 2014 at 9:37 pm

16. 32 Nena20409
    September 11, 2014 at 9:39 pm

Hmm?

• 33 Dudette
      September 11, 2014 at 10:51 pm

First thing I thought was “squid ink” — There’s this great pasta place near me that has a mushroom pasta dish where the black coloring of the pasta comes from squid ink. It’s scrumptuous! I think that’s more because of the creamy mushroom sauce rather than the squid ink. 🙂

17. 34 Nena20409
    September 11, 2014 at 9:40 pm

18. 35 Nena20409
    September 11, 2014 at 9:42 pm
  19. September 11, 2014 at 9:44 pm

The WH is always under fire from everybody.

20. September 11, 2014 at 9:44 pm

• 42 Nena20409
      September 11, 2014 at 10:06 pm

NFL, MLB, etc. Most of the Parks and stadiums are Freebies…taxed nothing and given away by the states.

When laws on the books were written, they were Not as profitable. Yet, no attempt is made today to change things……..Serious attempts. Until the public demands and KNOW what and how unequal our tax codes are, NOTHING changes.

September 11, 2014 at 9:46 pm

Oh dear….From my Twitter TL it appears that Rachel is tripping once again. Now she’s making the ludicrous claim that PBO is not a “hugger” Showed pics of VP Biden hugging, and said PBO is not that guy….it’s a variation on “PBO is aloof and unable to interact with real Murrkicans…”

• September 11, 2014 at 9:52 pm

I don’t like her or Matthews- they’re bi polar with the reporting.
      At least Hayes is consistently peevish. 🙂

• 47 Nena20409
      September 11, 2014 at 10:16 pm

I could hear her trite comments. Apperantly, VP Biden is the hugger, whereas, POTUS is not. VP is the touchy feeling get down kind of a guy and POTUS is not known for that.

VP Biden was to deal with Congress, especially, since 2011. But now POTUS is calling House Intel Chair and some other GOPer and in some interviews on the Radio they were not bashing nor insulting POTUS and things seemed to have worked out. Then she asked, could it have been because of War footing now? or could it have been because personal in touch by the president worked and works?

Attacking president Obama the person is what Lazy, Lame and Foolish people do when They have Nothing else to attack. Maher had charged MSNBC for too much cheering for their side…….so Here comes Dr. Maddow?

• 48 Nena20409
        September 11, 2014 at 10:16 pm

Apparently…..oops.

• 49 COS
        September 11, 2014 at 10:21 pm

Rachel also made a big deal out of PBO calling members of congress, as if he had not done that before. I remember PBO calling members of congress individually when he was trying to pass ACA. Rachel basically lied tonight or did not do her research.

• September 11, 2014 at 10:37 pm

I am floored. Rachel can be irritating at times, but to me, she has never looked as the kind of “pundit” who would display such silliness. I expect that from a Chris Matthews. Not from her.

What… the… ??????

• 51 amk for obama
      September 11, 2014 at 10:20 pm

As our JOB succinctly put it, she talks for a living. ’nuff said.

• September 11, 2014 at 10:29 pm

Well, as someone who’s been on the winning end of a hug from President Obama, I beg to differ. He is an exceptional hugger.
      Hey, Rachel, there are literally thousands of photos of President Obama hugging women, children, men from all walks of life. Get a grip!

September 11, 2014 at 10:34 pm

This is so ridiculous that I’m at the point where I’m thinking along the lines of what amk said – Maddow is getting paid to “just say something – anything” about the President – whether it makes sense or not, whether it’s true or not. And of course, it MUST be negatively slanted for maximum effect – as far as her bosses’ desires go. #SICK

• September 11, 2014 at 10:53 pm

You know what, hf? The level of insanity on TV is just beyond belief and I don’t even watch it. But everything I hear reported here and on twitter and from what I see on clips and videos, half of this country have lost their damn minds.

Earlier this morning I tweeted this:

I believe this is where our major downfall began. Our media is now nothing more than a collection of carnival barkers and hideous clowns shouting and whinging like a bunch of rabid animals foaming at the mouth. They are full of self-importance and it’s never about anything except the MONEY. And with the absolutely incredible presidency of Barack Obama, we are witnessing the absolute meltdown of common sense and common values, our democracy. They are unworthy of our attention. And as you say, it’s truly SICK.

September 11, 2014 at 10:59 pm

Indeed meta. It’s really a shame that at a time when Americans should be savoring this Presidency – not just because of the historic nature, but because of the quality of stewardship led by PBO, VP Biden and their fine cabinet of intelligent, hardworking public servants, this is when the media is at its most craven; we’re seeing the steepest decline in the quality of reporting, it’s all about money, pleasing bosses with political agendas…Americans who rely on the US media for info are an uninformed, demoralized and cynical mass of people…what a shame.

• 59 57andfemale
            September 11, 2014 at 11:40 pm

Been saying this for years, meta. The Telecom bill and Gramm-Leach-Blilley deregulating the financial industry. But that is easier to fix and will be someday. The consolidation of the media is a genie damn near impossible to put back in the bottle.

• 61 daisydem
          September 11, 2014 at 11:13 pm

Her level if comprehension of many, many photos of our President hugging must be very retarded (yes, I used a non-PC word apparently). It fits.). Rachel, whom I used to admire and who my infatuated hubby has even ceased watching, is this really the most significant content of a news program you could come up with? Oh my God! The stupid ….it burns!!

22. September 11, 2014 at 9:50 pm

Meet George jetson jane his wife…

23. September 11, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Okay friends. Need help again. Someone posted earlier this week a long and thorough explanation between ISIL and ISIS. It included explanation about Arabic meaning, etc. Can someone find that for me and share? Just saw a post on Facebook about this. It is saying that “everyone else” calls them ISIS, but not PO………and why is that? He is not recognizing the Jewish state of Israel. So keep in mind when you hear him calling the terrorists ISIL, he is positioning the US an an enemy of Israel. Yep! I have told the person that is totally misleading and incorrect and that I would try to find the thorough explanation I read. :). Thanks!,

• 65 Nena20409
      September 11, 2014 at 9:58 pm

Nothing to do with Israel…….That I know of.

ISIL the L is for Levant. Levant includes Syria, Lebanon and Jordan.

The Terror Group calls itself IS. Islamic States.

Google. NYT, Mediaite, etc have written about this and POTUS and his Team also explained that. POTUS is not the ONLY person using ISIL.

The way I see it….If Pres Obama says it is ISIL…..then that is what US should call it. It is he and his Team that are currently degrading and ultimately, will decimate ISIL.

• September 11, 2014 at 10:06 pm

Megalomania + Nukes is a really bad cocktail ….

#TrustBarack

• 68 jackiegrumbacher
        September 11, 2014 at 10:21 pm

Bob, rattling the Chinese like this is the purest insanity on Putin’s part. How much isolation is he aiming for in the world.? Does he want to make every nation his enemy? I hope the Russian people get a clue very soon or this lunatic is going to lead them to a place that they will not recover from. Even the czars and Stalin knew better than to make every nation their enemy.

• 69 jackiegrumbacher
      September 11, 2014 at 10:30 pm

TN, in my experience when people make ignorant, hostile claims about the president, despite all evidence to the contrary, they have closed their minds off to the truth. You can present fact after fact, but nothing will get past the wall of prejudice. It’s worth a try, though, in case less informed people reading the trash are persuaded by the lunacy.

24. 72 Nena20409
    September 11, 2014 at 9:51 pm

So West Wing Clip for 9-12-14 is out already?
    Josh “The Voice” Earnest at the WH presser on 9-11-14

25. September 11, 2014 at 9:52 pm

26. September 11, 2014 at 9:54 pm

Oh, do I miss those days? One second my heart was up to my throat, then came Keith and everything looked fine.

27. 75 Nena20409
    September 11, 2014 at 10:01 pm

28. September 11, 2014 at 10:09 pm

CNN Breaking News

Convicted school shooter T.J. Lane — serving life in prison for killing three fellow students at Chardon High School in northeastern Ohio in 2012 — has escaped from prison, police in Lima, Ohio, said in a Facebook post.

Lane, who was 17 at the time of the rampage, was sentenced in March 2013 to spend the rest of his life in prison without parole.

29. September 11, 2014 at 10:15 pm

30. September 11, 2014 at 10:24 pm

31. September 11, 2014 at 10:25 pm

September 11, 2014 at 10:26 pm

Well, I’m no where near caught up in this village of ours, but I’m extremely tired so I’m now waving to everyone. Good night! Will be heading to Niagara Falls for a weekend conference so will check in when/if I can.

Dear Desertf, you can take my word for it, after this weekend of out-of-town travel is older I’ll be sticking closer to home. 😀

September 11, 2014 at 10:41 pm

TWO WEEKENDS IN A ROW!!! OMG! I’m so proud of you for venturing out….have a wonderful time there and safe travels, vc:)

September 12, 2014 at 5:29 pm

🙂 Hi Desertf! I made it safely, thank you, and was only 10 minutes late for the first session. I’m ensconced in my hotel room for now, having ended my first conference day. It was long, but not too, too bad as these things go. I have about an hour before I need to report for the evening session, topped off with a dinner speaker! Sigh! We *are* at a ‘resort and spa’ hotel, though I don’t see any time in the schedule for ‘spa-ing’. 😀 I’m going to go peek in the latest post to see what’s currently being discussed.

33. September 11, 2014 at 10:28 pm

This is the NFL’s “independent investigation” ..keep in mind the it is being overseen by the Giants & Steelers owners who already support Goodell

September 11, 2014 at 10:30 pm

I have heard enough from this senile, vindictive, stupid old man. This was in my Inbox tonight…as response to a letter I wrote right after Hobby Lobby….

Thank you for contacting me to share your views regarding the Supreme Court’s decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby. I appreciate knowing your thoughts on this issue.

As you know, this case is the result of a dispute between Hobby Lobby, an arts and crafts chain with nearly 30,000 employees nationwide, and the Obama Administration. In June 2013, Health and Human Services (HHS) finalized a regulation that mandated businesses with 50 or more employees offer insurance plans that include all 20 FDA-approved contraceptive drugs and devices. Hobby Lobby, who offers their employees insurance plans that include coverage for 16 of the 20 FDA-approved contraceptive drugs and devices (they believe the remaining 4 to be abortifacients and thus in violation of their sincerely held religious beliefs), were forced to choose between their religion or a severe fine imposed by the IRS. Subsequently, Hobby Lobby sued HHS.

On June 30, 2014 the Supreme Court ruled in favor of Hobby Lobby, stating that, “we doubt that Congress…would have believed it a tolerable result to put family-run businesses to the choice of violating their sincerely held religious beliefs or making all of their employees lose their existing healthcare plans.” Specifically, the Court ruled that the mandate violated the Religious Freedom Restoration Act (RFRA) which passed the Senate resoundingly in the 103rd Congress with overwhelming bipartisan support in both the House and Senate.

I supported Hobby Lobby in this case arguing for the ongoing and central importance of RFRA’s protections against government-imposed violations of religious liberty. Today’s ruling confirms RFRA’s purpose and sheds light on the harmful policies at work through the sweeping scope of Obamacare and its subsequent mandates. I strongly believe that religious freedom and individual liberty must be preserved in the face of big-government mandates.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to contact me again on this or any other matter of concern.

Sincerely,

John McCain

Sincerely held religious beliefs my DYING ASS! This entire response makes me want to puke!

35. 90 Nena20409
    September 11, 2014 at 10:32 pm

You’ll be seeing even more of Michael Che come Sept. 27. Bill Carter of The New York Times is reporting that the newest “Daily Show” correspondent and “Saturday Night Live” writer will be taking a spot at the “Weekend Update” desk during SNL’s 40th season.

Che replaces Cecily Strong and will co-host “Update” alongside Colin Jost, who enters his second year in the coveted role. Strong remains a repertory player. Che will end his brief run as a “Daily Show” correspondent in the move.

Che, a native New Yorker who got his start in stand-up in 2009, began writing for SNL in 2013, and joined the “Daily Show” cast this year.

Also

Sarah Silverman will Host SNL for the 1st time….this season.

• 91 57andfemale
      September 11, 2014 at 11:48 pm

I knew Cecily Strong when she was a little girl. She played the youngest Joad child in a production of Grapes of Wrath that I stage managed. Her parents decided to direct her career, going back to when she was 6 years old. I was happy to see her achieve some level of national success, if short-lived (at least on SNL).

Tally would appreciate this: we held what we call “pick up rehearsals” when the cast gets together before a weekend of shows to refresh lines, etc. The actor playing Tom Joad, the lead, couldn’t make one of the rehearsals and Cecily did his part – every single line. She was 7 years old.

36. September 11, 2014 at 10:34 pm

This cogently sums up the sham going on at NFL HQ right now:

37. 93 Nena20409
    September 11, 2014 at 10:40 pm

Are You ready? I am Not Ready.
    Are We Ready? I am Not Ready.
    For Winter let alone Snow.
    SD here it is.

38. September 11, 2014 at 10:42 pm

President Obama’s address was viewed live by 35 million people according to Neilson….the most since any national address (March ’09)

• 95 Nena20409
      September 11, 2014 at 10:54 pm

Fox has 4M plus.
      MSNBC had 1.6M
      CNN had 1.3M

All the Business Channels. C-SPAN. PBS. Al Jazeera. CBS. ABC. NBC. Fox Local.
      Live Streaming sites.

I am guessing that more than 35M saw POTUS speak.

• September 11, 2014 at 11:00 pm

Thanks so much for these important updates. This is the kind of background preparation President Obama’s able team are doing day in and day out. This is the stuff of discussion in the Situation Room not on clips on cable TV round tables.

September 11, 2014 at 11:12 pm

Thanks so much LP for this important info (including the Neilson ratings bit). I’m hoping that Nerdy or Chips can front page this tomorrow – it’s important that lurkers and casual readers see this and understand what it means, and why it matters. As meta said, you will not find this on cable TV or even print media…

39. September 11, 2014 at 10:50 pm

Well, I am Free At Last; from MSNBC/Cable News. Listening to Lawrence bash PBO CONCERNING HIS SPEECH was the last straw..
    Earlier TODAY, Andrew Sullivan and PMCarpenter were disappointed and whining. Carpenter went so far as to call Al Sharpton a sycophant because he spoke up for the president during Rachel’s coverage last night. I gave up on TWEETY months ago. Nobody else on MSNBC attracts me , so I am pretty much done.

That is it for me. I’ll read more. Listen to tv when I can hear the president himself. TPM, Steve BENEN, and, believe it or not, Charles Pierce had the most measured and sensible reactions. So I’ll check them out. I don’t even want to hear what Stewart will say tonight, so I won’t upset myself by tuning in. This place becomes more necessary every day. So glad to be a part of this resolute and determined family.

I believe the president has made the best decision he possibly could for this horrible situation. He never said he was against war, just dumb wars. What he’s having to deal with now comes as a result of a dumb war. Nobody knows how this will end, but I appreciate his thoughtful, deliberate approach. His necessary toughness, if you will.

• September 11, 2014 at 10:52 pm

Could not agree with you more, Eve!

#TrustBarack

• September 11, 2014 at 10:58 pm

THIS.

Thank you, eve, for stating all this so well. Benen is always reliable, one of the last truly thought journalist, as is Think Progress. But that’s about it for me. The rest of them have nothing to add but idiocy. It’s as though President Obama’s intelligence, calm demeanor and steadfastness – traits that were considered optimum for a President up until a few years ago – have literally driven them insane.

September 11, 2014 at 11:03 pm

Welcome to the club Eve. You’ve made the right decision and your mental health will be thanking you for months and years to come. 🙂

• September 11, 2014 at 11:35 pm

Sure hope so. It’s amazing to me how rigid the thinking is on the right and the left. Plus, I admit that I am very protective of this president. Though I know he can’t do everything right, it makes me so angry when people refuse to give him the credit he does deserve. In this matter of ISIL, a Romney, A McCain, and a HRC, would have us fighting on the ground right about now.
        ISIL IS A rattlesnake. Living in Georgia, I know that there is no negotiating with rattlesnakes. You either kill them or get out of the way.
        President OBAMA knows that ISIL is a rattler, and so he is doing what he can to keep them out of our space.

September 11, 2014 at 11:39 pm

I think it’s more than just about being protective of this President. I didn’t vote for GWB, but I don’t recall ever being so adamantly critical of every little thing he said, or did unless it was something that really mattered AND he gave me a reason to be critical. The current media’s reflexive and unyielding inclination – to attack this President no matter what – is beyond the pale!

40. 111 anniebella
    September 11, 2014 at 10:54 pm

Did anyone see Lawrence O’Donnell rewrite tonight? I hope someone can post it up here, because it is worth listening too.

41. 112 arapaho415
    September 11, 2014 at 10:59 pm

42. September 11, 2014 at 11:00 pm

43. 119 Dudette
    September 11, 2014 at 11:12 pm

September 11, 2014 at 11:17 pm

I have a feeling that the media are mad that PBO’s speech actually seemed to go well with the American people and their Rand Paul was summarily dismissed by viewers everywhere. They are also mad that PBO is not going to start another silly war and he corrected their deliberately distorted narratives about ISIS. They are mad that when he talks, the American people listen…they tune in to hear what their President has to say because at the end of the day, people trust him more than any politician or news media pundiot out there….

Has anyone been talking with any interest about Paul in the last 24 hrs (apart from mocking how poorly his speech was received)? NO.

45. 122 Dudette
    September 11, 2014 at 11:25 pm

Whoa!

46. 123 Dudette
    September 11, 2014 at 11:27 pm

47. 125 carolyn
    September 11, 2014 at 11:29 pm

Thank you Nerdy wonka for these inspiring, uplifting posts today. Just the thing to read before going to bed! You do a magnificent job, and you do have magnificent subjects to work with!

48. 126 Dudette