Jan

The President’s Day

A Warm Tennessee Welcome: Supporters wait for President’s arrival today along Hardin Valley

‘Yellow Dog Democrat… Who Loves Obama Biden …. Thank You For Your Service To The USA! Love You!’

Enthusiasm Gap: The Line outside Knoxville auditorium this morning where the President was due to speak

(all by Knoxvillephoto)

Spring in Step: Leaving the White House this morning

Leaving Andrews

@nedrapickler: Nice hometown welcome for Obama in Clinton, TN. Miles of folks lining the motorcade route waving hands & flags

Knoxvillephoto

@JacobWBIR: People waiting near the air base excited for POTUS to pass by

President Obama is greeted by Vice President Biden and his wife Jill Biden and Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam, left, upon his arrival on Air Force One at McGhee Tyson Airport

President Obama greets Dr. Jill Biden as he arrives at Pellissippi State Community College

@knoxnews

From left, Tom Drye, Managing Director of Techmer ES, Lonnie Love, Shelby Cobra 3D print designer and manufacturer at Oak Ridge National Lab, President Obama, and Vice President Biden admire a 3D printed Shelby Cobra, at Techmer PM, a plastic fabrication company, Friday, Jan. 9, 2015, in Clinton, Tenn., where the president talked about the administration’s efforts to create new, good paying manufacturing jobs

158 Responses to “The President’s Day”

January 9, 2015 at 7:01 pm

me!

2. 20 a4alice
    January 9, 2015 at 7:07 pm

oh! I gotta go back and read DF’s post! GE TOD 😀

January 9, 2015 at 7:08 pm

#slacker. http://pix.iemoji.com/sbemojix2/0886.png

not one misspelling in any of the placards.

4. January 9, 2015 at 7:11 pm

I have had the most relaxing day. Even bested Mother of LL in a political argument.

January 9, 2015 at 7:14 pm

What I write seems to go into oblivion! Just did it again! Saw a friend today that know I went to see PBO and she asked me how it went (she and her husband are big supporters) and I explained that the sun seemed brighter, the sky was bluer, the birds sang sweeter and everyone had a smile…you know what she said to me? She said you found hope again. I literally just burst into tears when she said that. That one simple statement of truth was simple and perfect. We sure did. Hope was very much alive.

6. 45 JER
    January 9, 2015 at 7:15 pm

• 46 MightyPamela
      January 9, 2015 at 7:20 pm

32F is a lot warmer than 18F, like a few days ago! My brother in Fairfax said when the temps went back up into the near freezing zone, they thought it was springtime!! Besides, PBO is going to get into The Beast, pretty sure the climate inside is perfect! And besides that, Mark K is a total eff’er, so who cares if he is trying to redeem his sorry ass.

January 9, 2015 at 7:35 pm

That made me laugh!

• 48 MadameSoph
        January 9, 2015 at 7:45 pm

Hi Mighty P, saw your response to my response on the last thread.

Just watched the West Wing Week up top and was relieved to realize that the SOTU will be before the official “retrograde” begins (I realize it’s an optical illusion, but still… 🙂 ) albeit, the 20th is almost at the stationary. I’m not worried about that though, as I feel it is symbolic of the world “stopping” to listen to the great PBO! 🙂

• 49 MightyPamela
          January 9, 2015 at 9:00 pm

It surely won’t slow down or change the trajectory of one with such a will as PBO!! A mere planetary transit is minor for the magnitude of a man like him!!

7. January 9, 2015 at 7:18 pm

Evening all. We finally made it home. No complaints from me. So wonderful and unbelievable to have PO here! And the weather—wonderful! Did y’all see the sunset as AF1 took off? A WOW scene for sure. I’m definitely going to send WBIR a big “thank you” for a job very well done. Have to say again “Thank you, Jesus” that my Republican husband has been very interested and involved all day, even asking more than once about what “your blog” is saying. 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 I told him earlier that I do have something from the blog to read to him (DF’s story). Reminded him that I read things all the time he asks me to read (or reads to me) about hiking so I expect the same. I actually read him a comment from last thread–don’t remember who–about PO steering the ship to safe harbour.

No, I didn’t come close to df’s experience, but I feel such pride and also relief now that the day is over. I only know of the one incident early this morning of the man being arrested…..making a fool of himself. Thankfully, it didn’t go beyond that. I was so afraid that the haters would find a way to embarrass all of us. They felt comfortable sitting at their keyboards making all the hate-filled, ugly comments and outright lies, but thankfully none had the nerve to go any further.

• January 9, 2015 at 7:21 pm

Oh {{{{tnmtngirl}}}}, Tennessee did itself proud, what a wonderful reception the President received!!! Pour yourself a glass of wine and put your feet up, you’ve earned it!!!

• 52 arapaho415
        January 9, 2015 at 7:53 pm

As Tony the Tiger would say, this thread is G-R-R-R-R-E-A-T!

Spectacular, heartwarming pics. Especially like the first one, the Yellow Dog Dem photo and the family holding the “I love our President” sign, with American flags (and the little girl wearing the coat with peace signs).

Beyond wonderful, thank you!

• 53 MightyPamela
      January 9, 2015 at 7:21 pm

Hey, sounds like MrTn may have gotten a wee sense of the energy created by PBO, which is just fine. A beginning has to start somewhere, right? 😉

January 9, 2015 at 7:32 pm

{{{tnmtngirl}}} TN did good today! Hope your husband liked reading about my day:) Please tell him thank you for doing that.

• January 9, 2015 at 7:39 pm

TN did super well, tnmtgirl!!! Lots to be proud of, especially those students and teachers and the politicos who had enough sense to focus on providing their citizens access to advanced education and skills.

• 63 arapaho415
      January 9, 2015 at 8:00 pm

Great news all around.

Please let WBIR know that people from around the country (i.e., TODville) greatly appreciated their professionalism and dedication to reporting this historic day for Knoxville.

• January 9, 2015 at 8:09 pm

YES….your state is the inspiration for the President’s education proposal…..((huggs))

8. 65 sabreen60
    January 9, 2015 at 7:25 pm

Of course TN Republican Senator Lamar Alexander does not want President Obama to provide 2 years free community college education. As a Republican, he says it should be up to the individual states. President Obama will have to get this done through Congress and it’s going to be very hard to get these “states rights” (wink, wink) Republicans to do this at the federal level.

January 9, 2015 at 7:33 pm

Same stupidity in AZ…where being uneducated is a badge of honor to some! New Gov wants to CUT, CUT, CUT!

• 67 sabreen60
        January 9, 2015 at 7:42 pm

The thing is Lamar is bragging about TN. He just doesn’t want the same benefit for the entire nation. Repubs can’t put down their ideology for the good of the country. It really is sickening.

9. January 9, 2015 at 7:30 pm

“At a time when the Democratic president is supposed to be reeling, President Obama went to red state Tennessee and proposed a plan that will have immense appeal and popularity in both red and blue states. The president invaded Republican turf and unleashed a policy earthquake that was based on an idea that came from a conservative state.

President Obama is making Republicans march to his agenda as John Boehner and Mitch McConnell can’t compete with the power contained in a forward thinking presidency.”

• 69 arapaho415
      January 9, 2015 at 8:25 pm

Love this description: “The president invaded Republican turf and unleashed a policy earthquake that was based on an idea that came from a conservative state.”

So true. Even the MSM are running out of talking points, with their hero Petraeus back in the news (a conveniently “forgotten” scandal) — every.single.MSM.outlet today had the same doom and gloom message about the economy — but, but, wages are stagnant!

The lazy MSM don’t bother to listen to PBO, who answered this objection proactively — K-14, baby, to increase worker wages.

January 9, 2015 at 7:31 pm

so bt, why is your hair blue?

• January 9, 2015 at 7:34 pm

I got the wrong bottle. I may need spectacles. 😕

• 72 MadameSoph
        January 9, 2015 at 7:50 pm

Oh no, Chips! Blue? Have you surrendered to Nerdy and LL? Are you switching your football allegiances?!

• January 9, 2015 at 7:51 pm

“Are you switching your football allegiances?!”

Nooooooooo, MadameSoph – but it’s perfect for when my boys are playing away!! 🙂

• 74 MadameSoph
            January 9, 2015 at 7:54 pm

You mean, the team switches colors for the away uniforms? Wow! I just learned something new!

• January 9, 2015 at 7:59 pm

They do, MadameSoph, if their kit clashes with the team they’re playing! United, Arsenal and Liverpool, for example, all wear red, so the away team when they play wears their second kit. And most teams have three kits, but that’s partly so they make lots of loot from supporters who’ll buy them!

• 76 MadameSoph
                January 9, 2015 at 8:06 pm

Yes, the lots of loot potential! It’s the same with all sports teams, isn’t it? I would think that, if they were playing another red team away, the second kit would just use yellow/gold as the main color to differentiate and have the red be less visible. I guess Chevrolet/AIG/AON don’t care, as long as their brand name is front and center 🙂

• January 9, 2015 at 8:11 pm

🙂 The first nightmare for parents is that their kiddies will want all three shirts; the second is that their most loved player will have a name like this….

…. because you play for every letter!1!

You really want them to love, say, this fella:

• 78 MadameSoph
                    January 9, 2015 at 8:25 pm

Never could figure out Dutch… 🙂 But they do yummy food! Never had a bad meal in the Netherlands.

• 79 MightyPamela
        January 9, 2015 at 9:07 pm

Oh! Schwartzkopf is a very good quality brand! I use no other. (not blue tho, or any tint)

11. January 9, 2015 at 7:45 pm

Seriously…I often wish & wonder with my own selfish motives…and for that I’m sorry, but seriously….

12. January 9, 2015 at 7:46 pm

I love that PBO will showcase his Free Community College idea in the SOTU and likely spotlight that it’s already being done with great success in TENNESSEE by a Repub Governor. GENIUS!!

13. January 9, 2015 at 7:47 pm

He’s now been warned, twice …

Hope the dude doesn’t listen …. 🙂

14. January 9, 2015 at 7:48 pm

15. 93 arapaho415
    January 9, 2015 at 7:49 pm

TNmtnGirl and Symmetry11.

Your local media outdid themselves today — top notch reporting, puts the lazy national MSM to shame.

Congrats to everyone in the Volunteer State!

• January 9, 2015 at 7:56 pm

YES! Just 5 minutes ago, I posted on WBIR’s timeline thanks and kudos for a fantastic job. I even mentioned that I participate in a blog and said that folks there were sharing the link and making very positive comments. Wanted them to know it was very widespread and being seen and appreciated by people all over, not just locally.

• 95 isonprize
        January 9, 2015 at 8:24 pm

tnmtngirl. ABSOLUTELY! I watched it here in Philadelphia. Pretty much all day long!! Thank you very much!!

• 96 symmetry11
      January 9, 2015 at 7:59 pm

I am very proud of them. We don’t ever get coverage regarding PBO here. Especially anything good. It was a good day for East TN.

January 9, 2015 at 7:49 pm

#nutz

• 98 MadameSoph
      January 9, 2015 at 7:52 pm

Wow! Some days I feel just like this!

• 99 MadameSoph
        January 9, 2015 at 7:57 pm

I should add that, some days I feel like this if she were also juggling different colored balls while walking the tightrope in high heels (said colored balls being a metaphorical representation of me trying to balance my hormonal ups and downs). 🙂

• January 9, 2015 at 7:53 pm

–Unless this is a professional tightrope-walker, she must not have much going on in her life….

January 9, 2015 at 8:04 pm

Forget the professional part, Hopef. If this is legitimate (i.e. not photo-shopped) ‘she must not have much going on in her life’, nor much love/family. 🙄

January 9, 2015 at 7:50 pm

I did not know any of this re natural ‘old’ Xmas trees. Hope some of you did.

……………………………………… //
    Those 12 drummers drumming have marched into the sunset, and the Christmas tree that a few weeks ago brought such joy is now looking a little less than festive.

Your tree can still be of good use. Several of our facilities use trees to improve habitat in their area.

At Bayou Sauvage National Wildlife Refuge, just outside of downtown New Orleans, staff is preparing for the annual Christmas Tree Drop in March (2014 Drop shown above). Helicopters from the Louisiana Army National Guard will airlift recycled Christmas trees to create marsh habitat for migratory waterfowl. The trees block storms, help fight erosion and help recover areas still affected by Hurricane Katrina.

Folks at out Chesapeake Bay Field Office use Christmas trees to provide shelter and nesting areas for wildlife on Poplar Island, a 1,140-acre reconstructed island in the Chesapeake Bay.

If you live near Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge in Illinois, you can donate your tree to help improve fish habitat at Crab Orchard Lake. The Illinois Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is collecting trees at an office just up the street from the Crab Orchard Visitor Center. The DNR will be accepting trees until February 28, the day trees, weighed down with cinder blocks, start going into the lake. The project provides sport fish excellent habitat and provides anglers ideal locations to try and catch some of their favorite species.

You may be able to find other local uses for your tree – try contacting your state Department of Natural Resources or your local national wildlife refuge — but even if you can’t, here are a few other ideas to get the most out of your tree: ……………………….. //

January 9, 2015 at 7:57 pm

😯 Something else I didn’t know – that AnnD Romney was a ‘writer’! How come you all didn’t tell me? 🙄 Because Mitt was mentioned in a previous thread (I’m catching up), something made me look up Ann on twitter. Imagine my shock to discover she had many ‘credentials’!

“Mom of five boys. Grandmother of 22. Best-selling author. Global Ambassador, Ann Romney Center for Neurologic Diseases.”

18. January 9, 2015 at 7:50 pm

And here folks…is an example of the desperate and DISGUSTING arguments that teapublicans resort to, just to oppose PBO’s desire for progress among middleclass families.

19. January 9, 2015 at 7:53 pm

20. January 9, 2015 at 8:00 pm

Gotta love the holiday season! I still have many more Twilight Zone episodes in my DVR – saved up for those days when I just need an escape from the daily grind. And the Church in my area continues to chime away those Christmas songs in mid-January…morning, noon, and night. Just gotta love the holiday season! 🙂 🙂

January 9, 2015 at 8:04 pm

heh missy, where is my t-bone?

22. January 9, 2015 at 8:05 pm

By the way, amk, I blame YOU for this.

January 9, 2015 at 8:09 pm

enough with all the chitchat.

df, show us the ring.

24. January 9, 2015 at 8:10 pm

January 9, 2015 at 8:26 pm

How did we manage to get 133 comments already?? Chatty group:)

26. January 9, 2015 at 8:31 pm